• Published 24th May 2023
  • 551 Views, 12 Comments

Alethophobia - Ice Star



A sample of one hundred lies told by a mare named Celestia. After all. How bad could one lie be? How bad could it be to keep lying? How bad is it when you can't stop? How bad is it when you don't want to? What about when you don't know how to?

  • ...
9
 12
 551

121-130 [Locked Out of My Own Mind]

All my successes have been my own
Authentic connections are within my grasp
I know what the truth is
Everypony loves me
I got better without help
Nopony needs to be concerned about me
Anypony who thought I needed help could see past my mask
I have never hurt myself on purpose
I know who I am
I am not beyond help I do not need

Author's Note:

Consider this the sequel:

TEnemy of Mine
A few years after Luna's return it seems that Equestria will finally know an era of peace and appears to be on the verge of a new renaissance. Ponies are happy. Luna is recovering. Celestia is miserable.
Ice Star · 280k words  ·  116  14 · 6.7k views

Is this a decent story, or just a fun experiment? Let me know in the comments. This was an old idea that I'd had lying around for years. I was never convinced it would work, but I finally managed to get myself to draft a few convincing bits. This was an adventure to see how little I could tell a story with, even in contrast to the prequel and more lore-heavy stories I've written from the eras in each segment.

Comments ( 6 )

This was really cool.
Easily digestible, too, with more to digest each read-through.

I think it was a good idea with a good execution, and I'm grateful you shared it here.

11592812
Thank you so much for reading! It’s always good to have some comments to gauge the reception of things. And if you’re interested, many of the lies are stories of their own.

11592874
I see this has both a sequel and prequel.

I'll need to settle in and check them both out.

11593021
It does have a prequel. The sequel is sort of unofficial. It's really just the story where the themes and narrative are the most relevant again. If you want stories specifically concentrated around some of the lies, here are a few:

TNopony's Sister
The fledgling nation of Equestria has dealt with great monsters. Yet, something is rotten in the Everfree Forest. The fear of one more woe is at hoof.
Ice Star · 7.3k words  ·  54  13 · 1.5k views
EClass Portrait
The Cutie Mark Crusaders get an important talk from Princess Celestia after the Gabby Gums incident. Nothing whatsoever goes wrong in the process and zero extra-credit assignments are given.
Ice Star · 2.2k words  ·  46  17 · 2.3k views
EPale Nights
Princess Celestia tries to raise the moon on three nights across eras.
Ice Star · 5.8k words  ·  84  7 · 1.3k views
TAtychiphobia
[Poetry] Sunset Shimmer struggles with keeping a regular diary, among other things.
Ice Star · 12k words  ·  83  5 · 1.8k views
THer Own Sky
Twilight Sparkle is many things, as Princess Celestia is about to learn. Will her newest Faithful Student finally serve a higher purpose?
Ice Star · 18k words  ·  130  11 · 4.1k views
ERight/Wrong
Celestia has to realize that there aren't as many absolutes as she thought.
Ice Star · 2k words  ·  113  5 · 3.4k views

I dig it. Most of these lies aren't even "exceptional", they're ordinary over a very very long life. Maybe the EqG ones helped.

11596394
That was actually the goal with some of them; they’re some things you would have caught yourself saying before mixed with the landmark ones.

Login or register to comment