• Published 19th Jul 2016
  • 2,558 Views, 22 Comments

Having Some Selfie-Confidence - Stargazer129



Sunset Shimmer finally decides to try something new and take a selfie. How hard could THAT be?

  • ...
0
 22
 2,558

Having Some Selfie-Confidence

I don't really understand popular fads that much.

Really, I don't. What's with all these news reports about what's hip and happening?

When I hear someone use some new and popular word or lingo or phrase, I just have to quirk an eyebrow at them. Gee, might as well rename myself, 'Sunset WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON ANYMORE?!'.

Sorry. Got a little frazzled in my mind there. Based all my time in Equestria and as Celestia's personal ex-student, I've become a bit of a perfectionist. Then again, I couldn't help it. I really wanted to impress the alicorn of the sun.

Speaking of sun, it's almost sunset. The sky is getting painted by the last streaks of sunlight, and right above my head, the stars are finally peeking outwards and twinkling. Almost like they wave hello.

So then I ask myself, 'why am I STILL hanging around the school?'.

Many people would give me those weird looks for saying this, but I've always been a fan of learning and school. It's how I became Celestia's student, and I guess that just engraved something in my mind. Like if I keep working to almost the point of overexertion, I'll get something really good in return.

I just look upwards, still admiring the stars and the last bits of golden light. The pre-nighttime sky has always been my favorite sight of the day, quite possibly my favorite sight in the world. Just seeing the recently repaired Wondercolt statue in front of the setting sun is even better.

Just then, I see one of those popular jock and prep pair walk past the school on the sidewalk that surrounds the campus building. The prep takes her phone out, then hugs the jock, I'm assuming boyfriend, with an arm and holds the phone with her other hand. They both smile, then the prep taps something with her thumb. After that, they just walk off.

Ugh. Not another fad... another selfie.

To make something clear, I don't hate people who partake in fads. Just... why? What makes a fad so popular and fun? Believe me, I'm not into being popular. Almost everyp- one in school could retell the tale of when big bad Sunset Shimmer became the popular girl.

Thinking about it sends a chill down my spine. Not the kind of chill you get when thinking of something you love, but the kind of chill that has regret stuffed into every tingling sensation.

Sorry. Went off on another mental rant. I do that. A lot.

Point is, I don't like fads because they remind me of bad times because they're popular. I had some pretty bad times when I was the queen bee of the entire campus.

Without my conscious thinking, I reach into my jacket's pocket and pull my phone out. The home screen is decorated with a picture of me and my friends, including Twilight. You know, the human one. Man, it's gonna be hard keeping track of two Twilights.

There I go again, rambling in my mind on something totally unrelated.

The phone. The phone is what I'm focused on. Stay on track, Shimmer.

I look at my phone again. Me and my friends smile back at me, prompting me to smile back at their unknowing and unmoving faces. I unlock my phone, then look at all the apps I've downloaded.

Or more specifically, the lack of apps.

I've always seen popular forms of social media a fad. The thing everyone talks about. If the world worked the way I wanted, everyone would be talking about... oh, you know, the only reason we're in school. To learn! To talk about the school sports, to make friends... just to talk about something that isn't how many likes you have on your status update!

And there I go. Again. My mind is a complicated thing.

Staring at my screen, looking at all the nonexistent apps... why do I judge fads when I've never been a part of one?

Maybe that saying is true. You don't truly know something until you've tried.

And I've never tried to be part of a fad... so I'm just judging blindly based on some past experiences.

Perhaps I'll step out of my comfort zone this evening.

Yeah. Today, I'll try something new.

I look at my phone's screen again, then go to the camera function. I've take pictures before, but just seeing the technology in action is just so... wow.

Equestria, you've got some catching up to do.

Now, I figure I'll just do what those two did. Take a selfie. How hard could that be?

More important question, how DO you take a selfie?!

Let's take some time to think back, Shimmer. I remember, way back, I took a selfie. Well, it was more of Rariry taking the picture, me just sliding in and joining her and Fluttershy. I think it was back at Pinkie's, when the Sirens were trying to take over the school. I recall Twilight being there as well. It was pony Twilight, because that's before everything about the number of Twilights was thrown out the window and back to Equestria.

I think back to how she held the phone. With one hand.

Now, I've held a phone before. Heck, I've done it hundreds of times. But almost always I've held it with two hands. The technology in my hand is just so amazing... I feel like I have to keep a good grip on it. I don't want to drop it and lose this cyber-punk esc technology forever.

With trepidation, I release one of my hands from the phone. It's now only in my right hand. Many people would say I'm being WAY too overprotective of a mundane phone, but let's face it: I'm a former pony turned human, a creature who comes from a world with a lack of technology and almost every unicorn is dependent on magic.

Come to think of it, how do Pegasai and Earth Ponies hold items?

Ignoring Equestria hand/hoof science, I'm still holding the phone in one hand. With my free hand, I locate the icon that changes the camera. I tap it with my left index finger, and the picture changes from the evening sky to my face. I hold the phone up again.

Have my bangs always been this long?

I have a mirror in my apartment, but I look so different on a phone's screen. It's like I'm looking at another person. Another Sunset Shimmer.

I turn around, so my back faces the setting sun. The sun is warm on my back. I can see my face better with the golden sunlight illuminating my face.

Wait... since when did I have a few freckles on my face?

And have I ever noticed the small hole in my ear, evidence of when I pierced my ears as a filly in Canterlot?

I guess looking through a new mirror gives you a few more things to look at.

And here I realize I've been standing here, holding my phone up in one hand with the sun on my back for three minutes. I should probably do what I've been trying to do for the past ten or twenty minutes.

Okay... here I go. I hold my thumb up... beam at the camera... and press my thumb down.

Click

That's... that's it? No special celebration, no feeling of regret inside of me for partaking in a fad?

Well... I guess I've done it. Now, time to check my selfie.

I look at the little box in the lower left-hand corner, where my new selfie is. I tap it, my phone snug between my two hands-

I blinked.

I BLINKED.

Um... I guess I'm still a beginner at this whole selfie thing... then again, I just started tonight.

Maybe I'll take a better one.

Wait... I'm not screaming my head off at a fad?!

I guess the saying holds true. Maybe I just need to try something before I start judging it without a second thought.

Now, I can feel a smile on my face. I hold my phone up again, smile and the camera, hopefully hold my eyes open...

Click

And there we go. Another selfie.

This... this is actually kinda fun.

I tap my pictures again, and there's my newest selfie. This one turned out better than the last.

Then again, I could take an absolutely horrible one and that would STILL top my first.

Focus on the selfie, Shimmer.

I turn my gaze back to my new selfie. I look pretty good! My hair is styled the same way I did it this morning, my jacket's collar isn't obstructing my necklace, a heart-shaped locket from Rarity, and my eyes are open, revealing those aqua/turquoise/green-blue/whatever color my eyes are irises.

Perhaps I can send a message to Twilight. You know, the magical pony princess one. I mean, I did learn something today.

I'll do that when I get home, which is where my dusty old tome is. But right now... maybe I'll send my selfie to the girls.

I exit the camera function, then I go to our group chat. I post my selfie there, then send it. I wonder if they'll like my selfie?

Not even a minute passes before I get a barrage of replies. Were they on their phones beforehand? How long do they stay on their phones, anyway?

And once again, a totally unrelated topic I think of. But at this point, I've learned to embrace my curious mind.

I guess I'll stop thinking of questions that can't be answered right now and read the replies.

From Rarity: My, what a nice picture, darling! Is this your first selfie? If it is, then you have a natural knack for style and photography.

Believe me, Rarity. You do NOT want to see my first selfie.

From Fluttershy: You look really pretty.

Aww, thank you! That's really kind, Flutters.

From Applejack: That's a darn-tootin' pic of ya, Sugarcube! Mind if Ah could get some advice for them selfies?

I wish, Applejack. I've only taken two selfies in my entire life. Still, thank you!

From Rainbow Dash: Two words: AWE-SOME! You're kinda good at this!

I don't believe, 'awe-some' is two words, but you're a strange one, Rainbow. Also, thank you.

From Twilight (the human one, not the pony princess one): I've never taken a picture of myself. What are these called again? Still, I like it.

I'm not surprised by that, Twilight. With you being that little bookworm in the corner... and thank you!

From Pinkie Pie: Wow, that picture is super-duper-diddily-doodily AWESOME! I'm so happy that you've stopped sulking in the no-fad corner and stepped into the glorious light of awesomeness! Maybe I could throw you a CONGRATS ON THE SELFIE SUNSET SHIMMER party! PS: I have another reply coming in!!!!!!

The party would be nice, Pinkie. And thank you.

Maybe I should partake in some more fads. I don't want to admit it, but taking selfies is fun!

I look to my phone again. Now about that second reply... basing on her first reply, she's probably planning a new fad we can do together-

From Pinkie Pie: By the way, wanna play Ponymon GO some time?

OH SWEET CELESTIA, NOT THAT ONE!

Author's Note:

I just looked at my stories, and the last one I posted was over a year ago.

Let's fix that, shall we?

First, I am SO sorry for the hiatus! With my other personal story and plans for a big new story (not pony though) in November eating my time up, I haven't found the time or motivation to work on a FIMfic. But after thinking of this fic, I knew it HAD to be written. Besides, I'm not abandoning you guys for a long time.

Note: I've only taken one selfie in my entire life. Then again, CAN you do any research on selfies?

Note 2: I love Pokemon Go.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed! :)
~Stargazer

Comments ( 22 )

LOL Sunset's reponse to GO

This was a very nice story to read! I'm always for a nice Sunset story

Yes, lets play Ponymon Go before the fad dies!

7406225 I would think Sunny doesn't take well to THAT fad... it was kinda how I felt about GO when they first announced it. Unlike her, I'm absolutely obsessed!


7406257 Thank you! And about Pokemon GO... just think about everyone reading this years in the future (hi, future!) going, "what the HECK is this Pokemon GO stuff? Is this what the world was into back then?" Yes, we SHALL play GO until it dies!

Or, y'know, until the servers die in about three seconds :P

7406372 Its like the 90's all over again with Pokeamanz go

7406379 I think the new PokeMania is pretty funny. Considering I wasn't there for the 90's bout. If PokeMania looked like seeing a Vaporeon in New York and thousands of people chasing after it, the 90's must've been an interesting time to say the least.

I could also imagine the human Equestria suffers/suffered like that as well. Poor Sunset.

Oh yeah, I can totally relate to seeing yourself in a mirror vs. seeing yourself in a picture. Especially since I don't part my hair in the middle. I'm used to the way it looks in the mirror, so seeing it in a picture is strange... even though I know it's more like how everyone else sees it.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

Sometimes, when you see a fad, you don't want to participate in it, just because it is a fad. But when you do that, you could be missing out on something you might enjoy! And sometimes, the only way to determine if you'll enjoy it is to try it yourself, After all, nopony says you have to do it again!

And if you're wondering what that was all about, I took my first selfie today!

Your friend,
Sunset Shimmer

My opinion, the whole Pokemon Go thing is stupid. People are dying because they're too entranced in the game or too worried about catching a damn Pokemon rather than watch out where they're going. Next thing they know they're walking off cliffs or hit by cars. The game is pointless.

7406438 The picture VS mirror thing is also relatable to me. Since I got a whole foot (or more) of my hair cut two weeks ago, it's so strange seeing me with my long bushy hair VS my very short hair. For my only selfie of me, I did look WAY different, like I was looking at a new person (ignoring the hair thing. My face looked so different). Also,

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

I'm glad you were able to learn something today! That's kind of how I felt when I first moved to Ponyville, thinking friendship was a waste of time. If I had kept thinking that way, I wouldn't have been able to help you. It's always nice to put a hoof out of your comfort zone and see what new things you can experience.

By the way, what's a, 'selfie'?

Your friend,
~Twilight Sparkle


7406443 Each to their own. I can see why some people would think that way.

Awww, a picture of Sunset at sunset. That sounds beautiful.

7407603 Sunsetception does sound like a nice picture. Besides, Sunny can't pass up the opportunity to enjoy something new and her favorite time of day at the same time :)

Comment posted by dude5999 deleted Jul 20th, 2016

From Pinkie Pie: By the way, wanna play Ponymon GO some time?
OH SWEET CELESTIA, NOT THAT ONE!

:rainbowlaugh: No way! Just... whyyy? I love the game but whyyy? Pinkie why you do this?

7411721 I would imagine Pinkie's the one who gets totally absorbed in fads.

And, y'know, you don't question Pinkie unless you want a three week migraine :P

7411892 G-good point... :pinkiecrazy::twilightoops:

PONYMON GO OMG PLEASE MAKE THAT CANON NINTENDO BRONIES :rainbowkiss:
Love the ponymon dawn/dusk, combine that with Pokemon go...
Me: hey mum! I'm gonna be going outside with Dashie! Be back in twelve years!

7419996 Twelve years is an awfully long time to play Pokemon...

...And the best way to spend twelve years anyway :P

Huh. That was a fun venture, and I liked seeing Sunset taking her first selfie. I also liked how Sunset's generally not on the latest fads, which really makes sense, considering she's a magical unicorn from another dimension and culture turned human.

7430799 Who knows? Give Equestria about 100 years and maybe Princess Twilight will be sending every selfie she's taken to Sunny.

Or Twily can just smuggle a phone to Equestria. Would be hard taking selfies with hooves, though.

Awesome Sunset Shimmer Story! <3 :heart:

Haha, loved this!

Ha! I guess a selfish isn't so bad. (this was awesome!!!!) Great job!:heart:

Login or register to comment