• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,425 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,425

Applebuck Season

"Boy howdy!" Applejack exclaimed, her gaze traveling over the fields that lay before her eyes. "I got my work cut out for me. That there is the biggest bumper crop o' apples I ever laid eyes on." Truer words had never been spoken by the farmer; a wonder, considering how much she valued honesty. Rows upon rows of trees upon trees sprawled out over the grassy hills of Sweet Apple Acres. Each row had to be bucked clean, its bounty gathered and sorted, and Applejack knew she was up to the task.

"Eeyup," Big Macintosh said, surveying the fields as well. "Too big for you to handle on your own." Applejack rolled her eyes slightly. He might have been her big brother, but Big Mac was always far too protective of her. Someday, he had to realize that she wasn't the little filly he used to know. She was a grown mare, practically as strong as he was and arguably tougher overall. Considering the fact that he was the one injured at the moment and not her, she had a fair argument on her hooves for being the tougher one. Knowing him, though, he'd want to work through it instead of leaving the entire job to her.

"Come on, big brother!" Applejack insisted. "You need to rest up and get yourself better. I haven't met an apple orchard yet that I can't handle." She reached over to pat him on the side, but her hoof ended up catching him right in his injured rib. A wince from the big galoot set her back to her senses. "Oops, sorry. I'll take a bite out of this job by day's end." She instantly regretted those words. Big Macintosh, despite his simple appearance, had a bit of a dry wit to him, and he would surely capitalize on that.

"Biting off more than you can chew is just what I'm afraid of," Big Mac replied.

"Are you sayin' my mouth is makin' promises my legs can't keep?" Applejack snarled. She loved her big brother, but that kind of snark was the last thing she needed to hear right now.

"Eeyup," Big Mac replied.

Applejack amended her previous thought. That was the last thing she needed to hear right now.

"Why of all the...this is your sister Applejack, remember? The loyalest of friends and the most dependable of ponies?" Applejack wasn't normally one to brag, but her frustration was getting to her something fierce. She pushed her face right up to her brother's; a tall order, considering his height.

"But still only one pony, and one pony plus hundreds o' apple trees just doesn't add up," Big Mac told her. Despite his resistance, she could almost taste the little hint of nervousness in his voice. Big and tough as he was, he wasn't really one for confrontation, especially when he knew he couldn't do anything to hurt his little sister.

"Don't you use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue!" Applejack demanded as she backed off. "I said I could handle this harvest and I'm gonna prove it to you. I'm gonna get every last apple out of those trees this applebuck season all by myself."

"No you're not," a voice spoke up. Both Apple siblings looked over to see Sugarcoat sitting against the closest tree.

"I beg your pardon?" Applejack snorted, turning her glare to her. "What in Equestria gives you the right to..."

"You're really stubborn," Sugarcoat said simply. "You should try calming down and actually using your brain. That's a lot of apples to pick and you've got a bunch of friends who would gladly help you. But if you want to be hardheaded and overwork yourself just to prove a point, then go for it. Just don't expect to be walking much afterwards."

Applejack snarled at the newcomer, but her snarl slowly faded. As little as she wanted to admit it, Sugarcoat's words did make sense.

"...Am I really that stubborn?" Applejack asked.

"Eeyup," Sugarcoat replied. She ignored Big Mac's stare; she had every right to use that word too.

"...Well then...I guess I could use some help," Applejack finally admitted. "All these trees would take me forever by myself. I'll go gather the girls and Spike up." She began to head off, but stopped and looked at Sugarcoat. "You wanna help out too?"

"No," Sugarcoat said.

"Why not?" Applejack asked.

"I just don't want to be helpful," Sugarcoat said plainly. The blunt refusal caught Applejack off-guard, but she let it slide.

"Uh...right..." Applejack said. "I'll be back." And with that, she was off, leaving Big Macintosh and Sugarcoat standing there.

"Thanks," Big Mac said. "Anything I could do to repay you for that?"

"Dinner and a movie," Sugarcoat replied. Big Mac sputtered, stunned at her brashness.

"I...uh...gotta rest up," the surprised farmer said, before heading back towards the farmhouse. Sugarcoat simply shrugged and went on her way.