• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,406 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,406

Griffon the Brush Off

"So Pinkie Pie, are you sure that this friend of Rainbow Dash is really so mean?"

Twilight Sparkle stared at her book as her usually-exuberant friend paced back and forth. It wasn't like Pinkie Pie to be this upset about something. Granted, she hadn't known her terribly long yet, but this still seemed outside of the norm for her. Then again, not much was normal about Pinkie Pie. Twilight continued to flip through the pages of her book, rather confident she already knew what the problem was.

"Um, yeah," Pinkie insisted, continuing her pacing behind her studious friend. "She keeps stealing Rainbow Dash away, she pops my balloons, and she told me to buzz off. I've never met a griffon this mean." Pinkie paused for a moment to reflect upon this. "Well, actually, I've never met a griffon at all, but I bet if I had, she wouldn't have been as mean and grumpy as Gilda." Pinkie stood defiantly, sure that Twilight had listened to the evidence and would be taking her side within moments.

"You know what I think, Pinkie Pie?" Twilight said, finally looking up from her book. Pinkie looked at her expression and was hit with a little twinge of worry. That face didn't look like the agreeing type. It looked more like the "I agree but actually there's a catch to my agreeing but it's still agreeing but kinda not exactly" type. Pinkie liked to think she was quite good at reading facial expressions, and this wasn't the expression she was hoping for.

"Hmm?" Pinkie muttered, starting to worry slightly. What was Twilight going to say after she agreed with her? It had to be something troubling if Twilight was looking at her like that. The one raised eyebrow with the other one down, the little frown...those were all patterns she'd quickly caught in Twilight's behavior, all patterns that indicated the old "IABATACTMABISABKNE" expression she'd discerned earlier. Upon further introspection, she would decide that the previous acronym was too clunky, but for now it would have to do.

"Well, I think... you're jealous," Twilight responded, turning back to her book.

Pinkie felt like the ground had fallen out from under her, which bothered her for two reasons. First, ground couldn't fall, because it was already on the ground and would have nowhere to fall to. Second, she couldn't believe the words Twilight had just said.

"Jealous?" Pinkie repeated. The word even sounded alien coming from her mouth.

"Green with envy," Spike chimed in. "Well, in your case, pink with envy." Pinkie felt like she had been backstabbed as she stared back at the baby dragon. How could they accuse her of such a thing?

"Well, yes. Jealous," the betrayer Twilight said, finally stepping away from her book. "Listen Pinkie, I don't want to upset you, but just because Rainbow Dash has another friend doesn't make Gilda a grump. I mean, perhaps it's you, Pinkie, who needs to improve her attitude."

Brutus. Benedict Arnold. Tokyo Rose. All names that meant absolutely nothing to Pinkie Pie. Although that last one sounded pretty cool. But she didn't have time to think about those random names. Right now, all she could think about was how badly she'd been betrayed. Before she could respond, though, another voice spoke up.

"Or, you know, she could be telling the truth," Sugarcoat said, looking up from the book she'd been reading in the corner of the room. Both ponies and dragon looked over to the pigtailed pony, whom they hadn't even noticed there before.

"Well...I appreciate your input, Sugarcoat," Twilight said. "But clearly..."

"Clearly nothing," Sugarcoat replied. "You're really bad at this friendship thing if you think Pinkie's the problem. So a griffon suddenly shows up and one of your best friends says she's being mean and you just instantly take the griffon's side and dismiss everything your friend's saying? When has she ever done anything to lose your trust? Seriously, you stink at this."

Twilight stammered, then looked at Pinkie. Pinkie's insistent look had only barely changed.

"Ummm...well I mean I wouldn't have said it like that but she's kinda got a point," Spike said.

Twilight sighed, blushing lightly, and hung her head.

"Well...yes...I suppose she does," Twilight said softly. She looked back to Pinkie, eyes filled with regret. "I'm sorry I accused you of misjudging Gilda, Pinkie Pie. Can you ever forgive me?"

"Of course!" Pinkie said with a smile. "I mean it hurt but I know we're still friends to the ends!" She wrapped Twilight in a big hug, causing the unicorn to giggle softly.

"Thanks, Pinkie," Twilight said, hugging back. "Now how about you bring me to meet this Gilda and I'll judge her with my own two eyes?"

"And my two eyes will help!" Pinkie added. "Four eyes are two times as effective as two!"

"Heehee...that's right, Pinkie," Twilight said with a smile. She looked to Sugarcoat, giving her a smile. "Thanks, Sugarcoat. Do you want to come meet Gilda with us?"

"No," Sugarcoat said. "Not really a fan of griffons."

"Alright then," Twilight said. "You ready, Pinkie?"

"Ready!" Pinkie said, bouncing towards the door. "Ready Freddy Eddie Betty spaghetti..."

"Stop rhyming so much," Sugarcoat said. "It's irritating."

"Okie dokie lokie!" Pinkie said cheerfully as she bounced out the door. Sugarcoat just shook her head and went back to reading.