• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,413 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,413

The Mysterious Mare Do Well

Rainbow Dash grinned with grim satisfaction as she pinned the Mysterious Mare Do Well to the ground. This pony had swooped into town and stolen her thunder by performing the acts of heroism that were meant for her, and now she had her exactly where she wanted her. All it would take was one quick pull on that mask to reveal her secret once and for all. Although a cool one-liner to accompany it wouldn't hurt.

"Alright, Miss Mysterious!" Rainbow said, grabbing the mask and pulling. "Mystery... solved!" Rainbow's grin faded as a coif of pink mane cascaded from beneath the cowl, and her jaw dropped at the realization.

"Pinkie?!" Rainbow shouted. "Whudda-hud-d-duh-hud-d-duh-huh?!" Her eloquent statement was halted when she noticed a second Mare Do Well appear and unmask herself as well.

"Twilight?!" Rainbow gasped. She stared in disbelief at her two costumed friends. Just when she thought things couldn't get any stranger, a third Mare Do Well entered the scene and removed her mask.

"Applejack?!" Rainbow exclaimed. "There were three of you?!"

"Yup," Twilight responded simply. "We all played Mare Do Well at different times."

"I stopped the carriage bus with these babies, Bucky McGillicuddy and Kicks McGee," Applejack said, motioning back to her hind hooves. Part of Rainbow felt like asking why Applejack had named her hooves, but it wasn't exactly high on her list of priorities.

"I saved the construction workers with my Pinkie Sense," Pinkie explained. A sudden twitch caused her to jump out of the way just as a flower pot crashed to the ground.

"Sorry!" Cherry Berry called out from the window above.

"It's alright!" Pinkie called back cheerfully.

"And I used my magic to fix the dam," Twilight stated.

"Ooh, ooh!" Fluttershy interjected, entering the scene and wearing her own Mare Do Well costume. "And I did the flyby afterwards."

"I made the costumes," Rarity stated as she walked in. For once, she was practically the only one not dressed up. "Fabulous if I do say so myself!"

"I don't understand," Rainbow said, although such a sentence wasn't even necessary to anypony who could see the look on her face. "Why? Don't you want me to be a hero?"

"Of course we want you to be a hero," Twilight responded.

"But a real hero doesn't brag," Applejack added.

"Do I even have to say anything this time?"

All eyes turned to Sugarcoat. Nopony had seen her arrive, nor knew when it had happened, but this was nothing new for her.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked. Sugarcoat gave her a flat stare.

"Seriously?" Sugarcoat said. "This one is so obvious that you really shouldn't need me to point it out for you. So you five, instead of trying to talk to one of your best friends and tell her that she's being a braggadocious twit, decide to go through the trouble of making up a fictional character and all taking turns playing her? Is there some vital bit of friendship I'm missing here? It's okay to lie to your friend and deceive her and take away something that makes her feel happy and accomplished just because you think she's bragging too much about it? I'm glad you're not actually my friends. I neither need nor want that kind of garbage in my life."

"B-but..." a dumbfounded Twilight stammered. "...She was bragging..."

"You mean like you all were back at the library?" Sugarcoat asked. "Did you forget I'm staying there? I seem to remember all this talk about Mare Do Well's heroic feats, and how impressive her spell was, and how much she cares for ponies' safety and how her costume was to die for. So bragging is okay when you do it?" The others' ears fell, but Twilight wasn't done.

"But that was different!" Twilight said desperately. "She didn't know it was us so it wasn't really bragging."

"Listen to yourself for a minute," Sugarcoat said. "It's okay because we lied." Twilight drooped, hanging her head in shame to match her friends.

"...I'm so sorry, Rainbow Dash," Twilight said softly, the others muttering in agreement. "I guess we weren't really thinking. We just got so caught up in the bragging that-"

"Save it," Rainbow replied. "I mean, it was kinda rotten what you all did, but I guess I still could have watched the bragging a bit. We're both in the wrong here–though what you did was a bit worse."

"Right..." Twilight said sadly. Rainbow gave her a little nudge:

"Stop looking so sorry for yourself," Rainbow said. "You girls can make it up to me by treating me to lunch, alright?"

"Of course," Twilight said, her smile returning. "Anything for Ponyville's resident hero." Then she turned to look at Sugarcoat. "Are you coming?"

"No," Sugarcoat said. "I'm taking Tank for a walk to the park. See you in a week or so."