• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,414 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,414

Secret of My Excess

"Look! The Wonderbolts!"

Rainbow Dash's exclamation was not a strange one for her. She would have been excited to see the Wonderbolts no matter what the situation. This time, though, the Wonderbolts were a very welcome sight for the entire group of friends. Things had really gotten out of control, and anypony who could potentially help calm the situation down was more than welcome.

Twilight Sparkle and her friends had been trying to deal with a new threat that was rampaging through Ponyville. Unlike their previous threats, though, this was one that was very close to their hearts. Spike's greed following his birthday had gotten way out of hoof and caused him to mature rapidly, and now a fully-grown Spike was wreaking havoc in Ponyville, taking anything and everything he could get his claws on. Stopping any rampaging greed-driven dragon would have been tough for the group already, but this was their friend, and as such, excessive force was out of the question. Not that they were likely to employ it otherwise, but to know that it wasn't a viable option at all was a bit frustrating. To make matters worse, they were one pony down, as Spike had ponynapped Rarity. Even if Twilight was able to bring herself to take a magical shot at him, the risk of hitting Rarity was too great.

The Wonderbolts zoomed through the skies, preparing for another strike on the massive dragon that was threatening the town. The three on task had hoped that their two close shaves would have convinced him that they meant business, but all they had served to do was trim some of the scales on his neck. With their two warning shots having been fired, it was time to show him that they meant business. The three moved into a tight divebomb formation, hurtling towards the dragon at full speed. Before their forceful charge could make contact, the dragon whipped out the top of the water tower he'd ripped up. The three Wonderbolts slammed one after another into the cold metal, becoming so dazed that they couldn't even dream of stopping the dragon from slamming the tower against the mountain wall and trapping them.

"And what was that supposed to accomplish, exactly?"

The Wonderbolts turned to look at the source of the voice, although the darkness made it difficult to locate. It wasn't until Blaze's face made contact with a giant pigtail that they found their pony.

"We were trying to stop the dragon!" Surprise said.

"With a haircut?" Sugarcoat asked.

"We thought we'd intimidate him and show him we meant business," High Winds said with a frown.

"This might come as a surprise to you ponies," Sugarcoat said, with a roll of the eyes that couldn't be seen in the darkness. "But dragons are big and you are not. If something small tries to attack something big, the big thing might not necessarily be scared of the small thing. Plus, three small ponies divebombing into a huge dragon probably won't do anything more than annoy him, something you already managed to do with your little barber routine. If angering an already-rampaging dragon is your idea of protecting Equestria, then maybe Princess Celestia should look into funding an actual military instead of sending the local performing troupe into the front lines."

The Wonderbolts were dumbfounded. Nopony had ever talked to them like that before. None of them wanted to admit it, but perhaps their attack plan hadn't exactly been perfect. In fact, it had left quite a bit to be desired. If they were lucky, the divebomb would have stunned the dragon, but if not, they could have been in a lot of trouble. Being trapped in a mountain wall under a water tower was much better than what could have happened. This realization, however, was not enough to break through their pride.

"Uh-huh," Blaze said. "And if you're so smart, why are you trapped here too?"

"Because dragons apparently don't listen to blunt truths when they're in the middle of a greed-induced rage," Sugarcoat responded simply. "So just sit back, shut up, and wait for Twilight and her friends to save us. Maybe we'll luck out and this will be one of their less incompetent days."

The Wonderbolts groaned and sat down. If the reckless manner in which Rarity had acted at the Best Young Flyers Competition was any indication, this was going to take a while.