• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,414 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,414

Look Before You Sleep

"Wow!" Twilight mused as she trotted along the path from the library to Carousel Boutique, Applejack and Rarity on either side of her. "I still can't believe how wonderfully that slumber party went! That was the best slumber party I've ever had! Well, I mean, it was the first slumber party I've ever had, but still!" She knew she was gushing, but she really didn't mind. After how satisfied she was with the slumber party, she found herself on cloud nine. Sure, it started off a bit rough, but overall it was a huge success, and judging by the smiles on Applejack and Rarity's faces, they seemed to agree.

"Heh, yeah, it was pretty great," Applejack responded. "Don't you think so, Rarity?" Twilight grinned, even as Applejack's look seemed to pass right over her and towards the unicorn on her other side. Twilight may not have been the world's leading authority on interpersonal relationships, but even she could discern the meaning of that kind of look.

"Mm, it was a good time," Rarity agreed. Twilight glanced sideways at Rarity and held back a giggle as she saw Rarity giving Applejack the same look.

"You weren't saying that last night," Sugarcoat said as she joined the ponies. All three sets of eyes turned to her.

"What?" Applejack asked. "How would you know?" Sugarcoat gave Twilight a pointed look.

"Oh...ah...heh..." Twilight said weakly. "Um...Sugarcoat is staying in the library until she gets her own place."

"Seriously?" Rarity asked, more surprised than annoyed. "How did we not notice her? Why didn't she join in on the slumber party?"

"I was doing my own thing," Sugarcoat answered. "That being not attending the slumber party you two ruined." Applejack and Rarity frowned, but Twilight stepped in front of them.

"Things might have gone badly at first..." Twilight began.

"Yeah, they did," Sugarcoat told her. "Because those two were too stubborn and too focused on competition to have a good time."

"Now listen here," Applejack said, standing in front of an about-to-shout Rarity. "We already realized that, so you don't gotta go telling us what we already know. We patched up our differences, and now we're both getting along real well."

"Mhm," Sugarcoat said, giving the two a look. "Defending her doesn't make you look tough, it only makes it look like you don't think she can do it for herself." This clearly incensed Applejack, a frustration that only grew when she noticed Rarity's eyes narrow at her.

"I can defend myself, Applejack," Rarity said curtly.

"I know!" Applejack responded, quickly backpedaling. "It was her that said that, not me!"

"Oh, but you didn't have to say anything, darling. You were clearly thinking it." Rarity said, glare fixated on her. Applejack sighed and shook her head.

"Don't let her do that to you, Rarity," Applejack said. "She's just trying to stir up trouble. I know you can defend yourself." Rarity stared Applejack down for a moment, then relaxed.

"Hm...yes, I suppose you do," Rarity said, smiling a little.

"That was really condescending," Sugarcoat pointed out. "Just because you think you're better than her doesn't mean you have to act like it."

"What?!" Applejack shouted, snorting. She turned to Rarity. "Oh, so you think you're better than me?"

"No!" Rarity insisted. "You're doing what you just told me not to!"

"You're right, Rarity," Sugarcoat said. "That is pretty dumb."

"So now I'm dumb?!" Applejack yelled.

"Well, you did and still are falling for the same trick I fell for!" Rarity answered.

"And now it's right outta the horse's mouth!" Applejack sneered. She turned her look to Twilight. "I'm going home. You know, where the lower class ponies live." Rarity's jaw dropped, and she gritted her teeth in a very unladylike fashion, then also turned to Twilight.

"Perhaps I'll head back to my house as well," Rarity growled. "I wouldn't want to be in the presence of those who think I am too snooty!"

"Hmph!" Applejack hmphed.

"DOUBLE HMPH!" Rarity retort-hmphed. The two ponies stormed off in opposite directions, leaving an absolutely bewildered Twilight alone with Sugarcoat. She looked to the only pony left with her.

"...Why?" Twilight asked.

"They'd be terrible for each other," Sugarcoat said simply, before trotting off.