• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,406 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,406

The Best Night Ever

"I can't believe we're finally here!" Twilight Sparkle said, smiling from ear to ear. "With all that we've imagined, the reality of this night is sure to make this... The Best Night Ever!"

Twilight and her friends had been looking forward to this night for what seemed like ages. It felt like forever ago that Twilight had initially stressed over who to invite to go with her (before Princess Celestia allowed her a set of extra tickets), and it wasn't too much later that Rarity had made them their dresses. All of that anticipation had led up to this very day, and each pony had their own gameplan to enjoy the evening to the best of their ability. The group of friends was so excited about their prospects that they just couldn't help but sing about them.

"At the Gala, in the garden, I'm going to see them all," Fluttershy sang, imagining all the little critters she'd meet in the palace. "All the creatures, I'll befriend them at the Gala! All the birdies and the critters, they will love me big and small! We'll become good friends forever, right here at the Gala!" The idea of meeting so many new little friends was intoxicating to Fluttershy, so much so that she was willing to brave a huge social gathering for the opportunity. With everything that she'd heard about the palace's menagerie, this really was looking to be the best night ever.

"At the Gala, I will sell them, all my appletastic treats!" Applejack sang, visions of pastries and bits floating through her head. "Hungry ponies, they will buy them! Caramel apples, apple sweets! And I'll earn a lot of money for the Apple family!" Applejack didn't like to sound greedy, but as truthful as she was, she had to admit that she was in this largely for monetary reasons. To be fair, though, her intents were honorable. The money she'd surely earn was going to go to helping out her family. New farm equipment, new integral joints for Granny Smith...all the bits she would earn tonight were sure to cover those costs and maybe even leave a few left over to get herself a nice little something. No other night could compare to how great tonight was going to be.

"At the Gala, all the royals, they will meet fair Rarity," fair Rarity sang, dreaming of increasing her social status. "They will see I'm just as regal at the Gala! I will find him, my Prince Charming, and how gallant he will be! He will treat me like a lady, tonight at the Gala!" Rarity didn't mean to sound superficial, but she had fallen for Prince Blueblood the moment she'd laid eyes on his handsome face. Even if he wasn't royalty, that gorgeous visage would have won her over. The whole prince thing was just an added bonus to enhance her fantasy of meeting her Prince Charming. She was going to meet him tonight, and it would make this the best night ever.

"Been dreamin', I've been waitin', to fly with those great ponies!" Rainbow Dash sang, her head in the clouds over how awesomely amazing she would be. "The Wonderbolts, their daring tricks, spinning round and having kicks! Perform for crowds of thousands! They'll shower us with diamonds! The Wonderbolts will see me right here at the Gala!" From the moment she'd heard that the Wonderbolts were going to be at the Gala, she knew that she had to be there. It had long been her dream to meet them, and that dream had been realized back during the Best Young Flyers competition. Meeting them wasn't quite enough, though. Impressing them was almost enough. Flying with them was her penultimate goal just before joining the team, and doing that tonight was sure to make it the best night ever.

"I am here at the Grand Gala, for it is the best party!" Pinkie Pie sang; bouncing along cheerfully to the music. "But the one thing it was missing was a pony named Pinkie! For I am the best at parties, all the ponies will agree! Ponies playing, ponies dancing, with me at the Grand Gala!" The other ponies all had big aspirations of specific events they wanted to happen at the Gala. Like usual, Pinkie was different. The party itself was all Pinkie needed to be happy. Any party would have made Pinkie happy, but this was possibly the biggest party known to ponykind, and the fact that she was going was just fantastic. The idea of seeing the smiles on the faces of the attendees when she added her own j price mends to the party was enough to convince Pinkie that this would be the best night ever.

"At the Gala, with the princess, is where I'm going to be!" Twilight sang, excited beyond belief to spend time with her teacher and mentor again. "We will talk all about magic, and what I've learned and seen! It is going to be so special, as she takes time just for me!" Save for a few quick encounters here and there, it had been quite a while since Twilight had gotten some alone time with Princess Celestia. While she loved spending time with her new friends, time with the princess was the thing she missed most of all about studying in Canterlot. Tonight, though, she would be spending the Gala with her, and that was enough for her to preemptively declare it the best night ever.

Before the ponies could sing another word, they were interrupted by the sight of Sugarcoat appearing on the scene. As far as the others knew, she wasn't showing up tonight. Twilight had offered back when she got the other tickets, but been denied. All six ponies and one baby dragon watched Sugarcoat curiously as she took a breath.

"At the Gala," Sugarcoat began to sing. "Disappointment is what you're going to see. Expectations will be shattered at the Gala! You will not get what you wanted, and how upset you will be! And if anypony asks you, just say you heard it from me!"

The ponies were stunned for multiple reasons.

"Wh-why would you think that?" Fluttershy asked.

"How did you even get here?" Rainbow wondered.

"Where did you learn to sing so nicely?" Twilight asked. Her cheeks colored as the others gave her a look.

"You're all too excited about this for it to ever live up to what you're expecting," Sugarcoat replied plainly, before going down the line of ponies. "The animals here aren't used to being bothered and probably won't take kindly to it. The ponies here are used to higher-class food and aren't going to go for yours even if it's tasty. Prince Blueblood is an insufferable jerk who's even more stuck up than you pretend to be. The Wonderbolts are celebrities and have more to worry about than just hanging out with a hopeful. This isn't the kind of party you think it is and ponies here aren't going to want to bounce around like goofs and dance to children's songs. And if you think for a moment that Princess Celestia will be able to escape royal duties at the Grand Galloping Gala for very long just to talk about magic with you, then you're delusional."

The six ponies looked between each other, feeling their hearts fall. Sugarcoat wasn't done though.

"And as for you," Sugarcoat said, her gaze falling on Spike.

"Me?" Spike asked. He was a little shaky now, nervous about what she was about to say.

"You're the only sane one here right now," Sugarcoat told him. "And if these ponies would listen to you, maybe they'd stop getting unnecessarily psyched up over unrealistic expectations and realize that they should be spending this time enjoying the Gala with each other. Your friendship got you all into this position. You don't have to do everything together, but you'd think that with all of you going to a huge event like this together, you'd spend it together. But I guess the dragon and I are the only ones thinking that way."

Silence filled the area. The six surprised ponies stared at each other, then looked to Spike.

"Thank you!" Spike shouted, running up to Sugarcoat and hugging one of her forelegs. Sugarcoat rolled her eyes and tolerated it for a few moments before nudging him off.

"Uh-huh," Sugarcoat said. "So are you all going to enjoy yourselves or what?"

"Yes," Twilight said quietly, her friends nodding in agreement. "Yes we are."

"Good," Sugarcoat responded.

"Would you care to join us, Sugarcoat?" Twilight asked. "I'm sure Princess Celestia wouldn't mind too much if I asked for a plus one..." Her cheeks colored brightly as she smiled at the powder-blue unicorn.

"Not really a big fan of fancy parties," Sugarcoat replied. Then she walked past the ponies and into their carriage, closing the door before it took off. The ponies stared after the carriage, Twilight's gaze a bit wistful.

"That girl is something else," Applejack said.