• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,406 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,406

Winter Wrap-Up

"Thank you, everypony, for being here bright and early. We need every single pony's help to wrap up winter, and bring in spring."

Twilight Sparkle cheered along with the other ponies in the crowd. She couldn't even find words for how excited she was for today. Today was her first Winter Wrap-Up, and the concept of helping out thrilled her. Sure, doing it without the use of her magic would be tough, but she was positive she could handle it.

"Now, all of you have your vests, and have been assigned to your teams," Mayor Mare continued. "So let's do even better than last year, and have the quickest Winter Wrap Up ever!"

"Oh, this is so exciting!" Twilight bubbled to the half-asleep Spike as the crowd cheered. It only took a moment, though, for part of Mayor Mare's statement to catch in her head. Mayor Mare had said that everypony had their vests, yet Twilight was left without one. As far as she was aware, she was part of "everypony." What team was she supposed to be on? Where was she supposed to go?

"Oh gosh, where should I go?" Twilight asked out loud. "I'm not sure where I fit in. What exactly does everypony do?"

Twilight felt a song begin to blossom in her heart. It started slowly at first as she strode through the snow, but it didn't take long before the urge to sing overtook her.

"The time has come to welcome spring, and all things warm and green
But it's also time to say goodbye; it's winter we must clean
How can I help? I'm new, you see. What does everypony do?
How do I fit in without magic? I haven't got a clue!"

Twilight felt relieved as she saw the other ponies around her burst into song as well. Part of her had expected to be the only nutty pony walking through the streets and singing, but she was more than pleased to see that she wasn't the only one with a song in her heart. Each of her friends seemed to be singing the same song as she was, as well as all the ponies in Ponyville. As happy as the singing made her, though, it also reminded her of just how lost she felt in all of this. Watching all the other ponies confident and knowing their place served to make her more and more self-conscious about figuring out her own. Luckily, her sentiments worked well with the melody of the ending of the song.

"Now that I know what they all do,
I have to find my place.
And help with all of my heart,
Tough task ahead I face.
How will I do without my magic,
Help the Earth pony way?
I wanna belong so I must
Do my best today,
Do my best today!"

Twilight sighed as the oddly-well-choreographed-for-being-something-so-impromptu song came to a close. Singing was nice, but it didn't help her figure things out any more.

"You should just organize the whole thing," Sugarcoat said, looking down from the snowbank she'd sat herself upon.

"Yah!" Twilight shouted. She knew that by this point she should no longer be surprised by Sugarcoat's sudden appearances, but she was all the same.

"Eloquent," Sugarcoat said.

"Ugh..." Twilight said, rolling her eyes. "So you think I should organize things for Winter Wrap-Up?"

"Duh," Sugarcoat said. "We just talked about this recently. You're good at organizing things. Much better than you are at remembering things, apparently."

Twilight hesitated. They had talked about this earlier...how did she forget?

"You're absolutely right!" Twilight exclaimed. "I am good at organizing things! I'll go talk to the other teams right away and try to optimize their performance! Thanks, Sugarcoat!" She began to leave, but then stopped in her tracks. "Wait...how long were you hanging around me?"

"Throughout the whole song," Sugarcoat said.

"Then...why did you let me sing that whole song?" Twilight asked. "Why didn't you just tell me that earlier?"

"You have a nice singing voice," Sugarcoat said simply.

"Wh..." Twilight stammered. Had Sugarcoat just...said something nice about her?

"Being blunt doesn't mean I can't say something nice," Sugarcoat said, as if she had read Twilight's mind. "I thought you were smart enough to understand that, but I guess not." Sugarcoat rolled off of her snowbank and trotted away, leaving Twilight staring after her.

"...I just can't win with you, can I?" Twilight muttered as she went off to talk to the wrap-up teams.