• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,391 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,391

Swarm of the Century

"Pinkie Pie, what have you done?"

This was not the first time Twilight Sparkle had to think this exact thought. If her experiences with Pinkie were anything to go off of, it certainly wouldn't be the last either. This was, however, the first time that she verbalized it. And it was a good first time too, seeing as Pinkie had managed to not only ruin the tornado that Rainbow Dash had created to rid the town of their parasprite infestation, but almost grievously injure Rainbow as well. She chose to ignore how unnecessary the question was when she already knew the answer. That wasn't important now.

"I've lost a brand new pair of cymbals, that's what I've done," Pinkie responded. Twilight was shocked that a pony could miss a point so wildly. She adored Pinkie, she really did, but that pony had a way of just grabbing the logic portion of her brain and smashing it to bits.

"Will you forget about your silly instruments for one second?" Twilight said, managing to rein in most of her frustration. "You're ruining our efforts to save Ponyville." She knew that Pinkie would be hurt by such harsh words, but sometimes directness was the best way to deal with these things.

"Me? Ruin?" Pinkie asked, her voice rife with incredulity. "I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruin-ee! Or is it ruiness? Ruinette?" The pink mare pondered her word selection while her friends fumed.

"Come on girls, there's no reasoning with that one," Applejack said, urging the others on. "She's a few apples short of a bushel." Her last sentence was half-whispered, but Twilight could tell that Pinkie had heard it from her reaction.

" Hey!" Pinkie shouted desperately. "I'm trying to tell you all that the ruining is on the other hoof. If you'd just slow down and..."

"Listen to her," Sugarcoat insisted, stepping in front of the others as they attempted to leave.

"Yeah, what she said!" Pinkie agreed.

"Sugarcoat, we don't have time for this!" Twilight said, glaring at her.

"You don't have time to listen to a friend?" Sugarcoat asked. "A friend who seems to have an idea of what to do?"

"What do you mean?" Twilight said. "She's just gathering musical instruments!"

"Mhm," Sugarcoat replied. "So you're not going to listen to her. Because last time you weren't listening to her went so well, right?"

"W-well..." Twilight stammered, remembering Sugarcoat's advice when Pinkie had been complaining about Gilda. It turned out that Pinkie was right about her after all.

"Finally!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"And you," Sugarcoat said as she turned her attention to Pinkie, "Need to learn that ponies aren't going to listen to you if you're really vague and doing things that don't make sense without context."

"I thought I was being pretty clear..." Pinkie said, looking confused.

"Asking for musical instruments without explaining how they could possibly solve the problem isn't being clear," Sugarcoat told her. "It's being annoying. You girls really need to learn to communicate."

Twilight marveled at the fact that Sugarcoat had actually managed to silence Pinkie Pie, a task previously thought to be impossible. She looked at Pinkie and gave her a smile.

"I'm sorry, Pinkie Pie," Twilight said, as the others nodded in agreement. "What do you need the instruments for Pinkie?"

"Oh, my sisters and I used music to get a swarm of parasprites away from our rock farm when we were young," Pinkie said. "And I'm super-sorry for not explaining that better! But you have to understand that I had to move quickly, and a Pinkie in motion tends to stay in motion! But I'll try to explain better next time, okay?"

"Okay," Twilight said, giving Pinkie a hug. "Now let's go get the band together!"

"Uh-huh!" the rest of the group agreed, and headed off without hesitation.

"Not even going to ask me if I want to help this time?" Sugarcoat called out. Twilight stopped in her tracks and turned around.

"Sorry, Sugarcoat," Twilight said. "Do you want to help?"

"No," Sugarcoat said, then walked off. Twilight rolled her eyes, then continued on with the rest of her friends.