• Published 21st Jan 2015
  • 16,775 Views, 425 Comments

Apologies Aren't Always Enough - SadisticFluttershy



Who is this Anon a miss? During her reign, Sunset Shimmer has been discriminated again and CHS thinks she's responsible. Her world shattered when her friends left her.

  • ...
44
 425
 16,775

Chapter 11

Author's Note:

Hello everyone!

This is the latest installment of Apologies aren’t always enough. I had a different chapter planned, which has become chapter 12, so work on that has been well underway as well. This chapter will have some action going on, and more tension than previous chapters. Same with the next chapter. Chapter 12 is about Sunset visiting Ditzy and about how the distance that has grown between the mane five and Sunset is affecting them. First however, this chapter.

I decided to write this chapter in response to some feedback from the readers that I got through Raincloud/SadisticFluttershy. This chapter will focus mainly on the CMC/DT/students side of the story during the week they got suspended. Since you wanted some action in that regard. Will there be blood and violence and over the top gore? Well, at least one of those three. Secondary important points are Fleur de Lis public response to the situation as well as developments in the police investigation.

Some of you may be concerned that Diamond Tiara might get away with it, which is a concern you can safely leave to me. She will get her due in time.

That’s all for now, happy reading,
FreeHomeBrew

P.S. I do take your criticisms into account in a serious way, as this chapter has been heavily influenced by the request for some more action and information on Diamond Tiara. As always, all criticism is welcome, especially if it’s constructive or if it’s new ideas on where to take the story.
School counseling would prove to break popularity records this week at Canterlot High. Many a student had called in sick. Some out of fear or caution, and plenty out of a sense of self reflection, knowing they’d contributed to everything that built up to those few catastrophic minutes.

Other students were on the highway to hell that is vengeance. They knew their targets would not return for at least another week, but that gave them plenty of time to scheme and conjure. Staff was concerned about these developments. Perhaps a week suspension was too short for their own good.

The concerns around the attempted murder were the bigger talk of the school. Students were crying and frowning grimly. A shadow had been cast. The scent of blood lingered whenever they would use their hands, their words. Celestia and Luna had tried their best to keep spirits focused on learning at least, though it proved far from trivial. The teachers could foretell a serious drop in student performance by the end of the week, which in part was no more than projection on their part. There was little to be done. The dragon everyone had fed so relentlessly burnt them all, save for a scarce cunning and malicious few.

Diamond Tiara was still on the loose, as were, technically, the CMC. Their testimonies had been put to paper and their presence was no longer lawfully required anywhere. On this lovely day, Diamond Tiara was out shopping for something to celebrate herself. Anyone with any sense of justice no doubt would anticipate an inevitable comeuppance. They are not like her, and so she could enjoy her freedom in peace.

She is unlike the Crusaders. They had agreed stick together and so were waiting out their suspension at the Apple Family Barn. Tartarus would be ruled by snowmen before Applebloom, Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo would find themselves at home alone with nothing but their guilty consciousnesses haunting them if they had any say in the matter. They could only hope they would. Their families had agreed it would be for the best. No playthings. No fun. Not that they could stomach the thought.

Out on the eastern perimeter of the Apple property, in what was almost reclaimed by wilderness, stood an old defunct barn house that had been used for storage ages ago. This would be their world this week. The sun had scorched away any traces of mold and paint. Tall grasses and shrubs were trying to sneak in through cracks, under doors and between hinges.

A simple empty room was all they were allotted. At least it was in a finer state than the rest of the shack. There was nothing but a wooden board and hay, both by the bale and strands strewn around. The trio had made a makeshift table out of the board and a bale, as well as other furniture. The room had seemed dark and cramped before Big Mac cleared it. All that remained was the smell of old hay, and dust that revealed the columns of sunlight falling through the single matted window. Applebloom remarked it almost felt nostalgic, since she’d slept here once or twice before when she’d gone exploring then she was little. The hay slept as well as it used to, though Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo begged to differ.

Since there was no electricity, all of their homework had to be done before sunset. Big Mac would exchange their books every two to three hours. Along with the books would come new rations of food, tea and hot water, though no sweets, snacks or soda.

For the longest time the schoolwork had been a pleasant distraction from their predicament. Just before moon rise however, at the turning in of the last book, paper or notepad, their fate would inevitably catch up to them. Even during the day time, when work would be a little straining, such moments would also come to visit.

Scootaloo sat before the window sill, looking over the country side in her imagination. Every time she pictured Rainbow Dash, she tried to hold back a tear. She knew Dash, or so she had thought. Whatever the future would hold, the thread of them together had come undone. At a distant second place sat the thought of her having hurt the child of one of her idols, Fleur de Lis. She got to interact with her personally, and she’s put her and her family through hell.

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were lucky, one way or another, to have family around. Blood runs thick after all. Even when they got yelled at, got the dirtiest chores and got anything else they’d deserved, there was always that sense of caring. No recourse was thoughtless and malevolent. When all the love for oneself is gone, the love of those around shines all the brighter. Even if it takes the form of judgment and punishment. Friends, sisters and family fit that hole their old selves had left with genuine tribute to one another.

At night, Sweetie Belle had to stay with Rarity, considering their parents lived out of town a while away, and the practicality of the situation was challenging. Their parents had offered Sweetie Belle to stay at their place during her suspension, but Rarity had declined. They knew their situation far better than their parents, who’d only say and ask the wrong things. Instead, their parents would come over some evening this week, time allowing.

Rarity had insisted this was something she and Sweetie Belle had to deal with together. She got her bitter wish.

Applebloom had house cleaning duty as long as she’d stay out of sight. She’d gotten Applejacks chores to boot, so Applejack instead could focus on the more physically taxing jobs on the farm. She already knew of the relief attained at the end of heavy labour and figured she could exploit that to deal with whatever descent into madness she might – would – face.

Applebloom stayed in the shadows. Big Mac and Granny Smith weren’t understanding, though they were willing to listen at least. As soon as she’d done all she was allowed to, or responsible for, outside the now guest room, she’d be shut in with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo again.

Home was the last place Scootaloo wanted to be and somehow, Applebloom not being welcome in her own home allowed those two long nights together in the building by the perimeter.

- - -

Word of the attack on Sunset spread like fire. The very next morning, the grounds keeper had been surprised to not be the first person on the premises for a change. Every reporter in town (and some from out of town) had swarmed the school, wanting statements and shots of the chaos. He had an easy out though. “Oh dear. Yes, so I’ve heard. I’m just a lowly grounds keeper, so I wouldn’t really know, sorry. Please excuse me, I need to tend to the school.” It wasn’t exactly a white lie, but he unknowingly had spared a lot of people a lot of head aches that day.

The reporters all stuck around awaiting the arrival of anyone important or even the students. Celestia was the second to arrive, not long after the grounds keeper. She kindly asked the media to lay off the students, who were going through a lot. They had all suffered at the hands of Anon-a-Miss, and had in turn become monsters in the highest order, though only one to the steepest degree. This attempted murder was on everyone involved. From the villains committing evil to the good guys doing nothing, letting it prevail.

In return for their patience and not harassing the students, she promised them all official statements as soon as possible. The bargain was struck. No students were approached, and Celestia stayed true to her word. By early afternoon, she had a prepared statement and would not be taking any questions. The matter was to be solved behind closed doors and legal matters would be investigated by police and officials. Such was the decision by the board, with the approval of Celestia.

All day long, body guards had kept media from Sunset and her loving family in the hospital. Fleur would drag paparazzi wherever she went in any event, and this hospitalization of her daughter had only made them a flame of the hottest scoop and latest drama to the news moths. Not all rich and famous endure in peace.

It wasn’t until the next afternoon that the media broke their vows to Celestia. The police nor anyone else broken something new or interesting. School premises were off limits, and the only thing students would say, if anything at all, was to leave them alone. They knew not what had happened. They only knew they’d been a part of it.

The Carousel Boutique had shortened opening hours. Rarity was fortunate enough to have a small dedicated fan base whom she could trust to service in these trying times. The only other available option to the press had been the Apple farm of the Apple family. They had really hit the jackpot.

Sweetie Belle had been the one to answer the door. Big Mac wasn’t around, and Granny Smith was taking her afternoon nap. To be sure, she lead the reporter upstairs to the others and she relayed their story. The truth had to be known. Sweetie Belle had much to get off her chest. Tearfully she confessed to all of her misdeeds. Being Anon-a-Miss, continuing while knowing things were getting worse, breaking trust, everything. It was a small price to pay to have Diamond Tiara get hers. To avenge Sunset, currently hanging on to her now ruined, worthless and miserable life by a thread.

The other crusaders corroborated the story. They’d told the reporter what they’d told the police. The Diamond Dog boys had attacked them. Sunset had saved them. They’d run off to get help. Diamond Tiara had stabbed Sunset and ran off. The Crusaders had returned with help, just in the nick of time to save Sunset.

Had they seen Diamond Tiara stab Sunset? Sweetie Belle said yes, Applebloom and Scootaloo argued they hadn’t but suddenly weren’t certain of anything anymore. They came to conclude it made sense, despite knowing they could in fact not have seen it happen, as they were off to get help at that time.

The next day had been a hassle with the other reporters following the example of the one that got the scoop. The trio’s story had remained the same, save for their uncertainty having completely evaporated. The journalist who was ahead of the game had met with security detail at the Rich’s estate as well as body guards around Diamond Tiara and her family when they were in public. It was the standard Rich’s policy. Still, news like this was always worth a shot. All of the other reporters met the same fate.

Rain was heavy on the dawn of their third day of suspension. The meadow around the old barn house flooded fairly quickly around the depression the building had created over the years. A small stream had formed and ran down and around the temporary residence. The building wasn’t exactly water and air tight. It was humid, cold and drafty and with the overcast, not very light. It was gray and cold, though the sound was quite relaxing. They had each other, and that was enough to keep cold away enough to tolerate a day like this.

Despite what they had done and how they were being punished, despite Applejack’s objections weak as they were, Big Mac had taken pity on them. They were to be punished, but not unfairly so, he’d said. Nature happens, and he knew everyone still cared for them in the end, he himself admitted. Thus he’d set out, half a mile through misery, with warm drinks, some extra blankets in water tight bags, and a battery radio.

He’d set himself down downstairs, all warm from walking and comfy in a blanket for himself, not wanting to go back through the rain. It might let up after all. The radio was all he really needed in the mean time.

The crusaders daren’t peep downstairs, thinking he had come to watch them for some reason. The music was only just barely audible over the sound of rain, though Big Mac was enjoying himself. Gradually, the wind had gone quiet, and the torrent had devolved into a quiet pitter-patter. It may have just been drips falling off of the leaves from nearby trees.

The three had tuned out the background sounds until there came an interruption in the music. There was a news bulletin with a special report on developments in the attempted murder. Eager to listen, the three scooted closer to the exit. Through a crack they could see Big Mac snoozing. The radio had caught their full attention at the sound of a familiar voice.

“I am so elated the Anon-a-Miss case has been solved,” a silky sweet, endearing and adorable voice resounded. “The students were under a lot of stress and grief already. I am certain it has been a good development for all.”

“That little rat!” Sweetie Belle hissed. Scootaloo immediately shushed her, as she didn’t want them to get caught sneaking a scoop.

“Ah can hardly disagree with what she’s just said though,” Applebloom said.

“I have spoken many students about the case and although I cannot speak for everyone, I think about all the harm I have caused. How could I have been so blind to an innocent girl suffering?” She shook her head.

Scootaloo and Applebloom put their hands on Sweetie Belle’s mouth, and in the nick of time. She cast an angry look, grabbing and squeezing tightly their wrists to pull their hands off. Scootaloo could clearly see the rage and violence brewing in her stark white friend, a girl she’s known to be nothing but sweetness itself before the whole Anon-a-Miss situation escalated. She could feel it in herself as well. There were other, less peaceful ways of keeping the others quiet after all. Is this what they would be? Is this what Diamond Tiara was making them? What will they yet become?

Scootaloo pushed Sweetie Belle onto her back, still having her hand on her mouth. The air pushed and pulled on her hands as Sweetie’s breathing got more erratic. She firmly shook Scootaloo’s wrist. Their eyes met.

“I know,” Scootaloo whispered, teary eyed. “I know.” She put her hand to her heart. ”But I don’t want to see you become like her. I feel it too.” She looked to Applebloom, who sat on her knees with her fists clenched. She nodded. Scootaloo turned back to Sweetie Belle. “We all do.”

Sweetie Belle put her hands behind herself and got up, gently and quietly pushing Scootaloo out of the way. She took a deep breath and bit her lip. “I’m fine now,” she hissed.

The interview continued.

“It was worse. I contributed to the atmosphere and all the hate and violence she endured. We were all monsters. I just hope she can forgive us some day. Our family has offered her help, though her family has declined the outreach. We donated it to ‘Three Flowers’ instead, a cause that strives to fight violence by educating people about the effects of violence on everyone, not just those directly involved. I hope they will mark our tale of strife so no other schools will ever have troubles like ours.”

She sighed.

“Nobody trusts those Crusaders anymore,” she said. “And rightly so! They…” she sniffled. “They cost me my most treasured friendship! They wrecked the whole school!” She cleared her watery eyes. ”I’ve heard some say they wanted to get rid of Sunset Shimmer. Blaming the one innocent girl they had been framing all along.“ She shook her head. ”It’s just so awful. All because they were jealous of how much time she spent with their sisters. Unbelievable.”

“I didn’t believe they would be capable of such a thing,” she said with a sad frown, “and now Sunset ended up fighting for her life in the hospital!”

The crusaders sat quietly in their loft, still listening closely to Diamond Tiara’s words. Their rage only contained by their utter disbelief. Thoughts of their encounter went through their head and how they could’ve handled things differently. Of blood stained and gut ridden alleyways and how they’d have their apology party at school, together with Sunset Shimmer.

“I would have my dad send in a personal body guard for those three. Things had gotten violent for Sunset right before the attempt on her life. However, the crusaders have been suspended. They may be public enemy number one, but violence is never the answer. Certainly not at such a pristine and prestigious school like Canterlot High. I trust the student body can solve this problem in a well behaved and civilized manner.”

The interview had concluded and the crusaders heard the radio return to its regular programming. Stealthily they retreated back into the room and shut the door.

“Can you believe it?!” Sweetie Belle squeaked. “Is she seriously going to pin this on us?!”

Applebloom raised her hand, “Ah can. Ah mean, this is Diamond Tiara we’re talkin’ ‘bout.”

Never did Scootaloo know words could be so heavy until she spoke her mind. “Is she really all that wrong?”

“I’m sorry?” Sweetie Belle said in a faux tranquil manner.

“Are you honestly saying it isn’t our fault Sunset ended up in the hospital?”

“I did NOT wield a knife, Scootaloo!” Sweetie Belle nigh yelled. “This blood is on HER hands, not ours!”

“We MADE Diamond Tiara! WE made everyone! WE broke her leg and WE put her on crutches!” Scootaloo trembled at the realization of the truth of her words. “It’s all our fault!” Her breaths were short and rapid. She was on the verge of crying her lungs out. “It’s all our fault.” She whimpered instead. She put her hands on her face and fell to her knees, sobbing.

“Stop it, you two!” Applebloom intervened, getting teary eyed herself.

“Stop what?!” Sweetie Belle demanded. “I’m not going to take this! Diamond Tiara can go to Tartarus for all I care!” She glared at her orange friend. “And so can Scootaloo’s crazy thoughts. I did not kill Sunset! And neither did you two!”

“Ah just want us to calm down and be friends,” Applebloom said. “It’s the last thing we’ve got.” She sniffled. “And Ah don’t want to lose that too.” She looked away. Her voice broke. “Ah don’t know what Ah’d do without you two.”

Sweetie Belle sighed and knelt before weeping Scootaloo. She put her hands on Scoot’s shoulders and pulled her into a hug. Applebloom joined in shortly.

“I don’t want to lose us either,” Sweetie Belle said. She pulled back. “But we didn’t stab Sunset, Scootaloo. I need you to believe that.” Their eyes met. “We weren’t the ones trying to kill her..”

Scootaloo gave the world’s smallest nod. “We’re not exactly innocent either,” she bargained, looking away.

Sweetie Belle pulled her back into the hug. “I know.”

- - -

No further interviews were given, though there had been some requests. There were a few students prepared to give a few statements, though those mostly pertained to how sorry they were and how awful they felt for having been so horrible and how the Anon-a-Miss incident had changed so much for the worse. Etcetera.

There was no official further progress into the case. The best efforts of the police had resulted in plenty of information, but nothing conclusive. There were conflicting testimonies. Some evidence that didn’t stack up. The forensics had a few hits and misses.

The knife that had been found had prints of the Cutiemark Crusaders on it, but not of anyone else. The prints did not indicate the knife had been held to be wielded as a weapon. Certainly not to create wounds as found on Sunset Shimmer. Footprints of all of the involved individuals had been found on the scene, though the scene was littered with at least forty other footprints..

There had been no witnesses. The word of the accused stands against that of the accusers.
Timing conflicts with the above. Sunset was definitely stabbed, but at a time when the crusaders were getting the authorities to come to the scene. This testimony is in line with the recording of both the crusaders request for help and the medical reports of how old Sunset’s stab wounds were.

Even if Diamond Tiara and the Diamond Dogs had been present at that time, no prints of theirs were found on the knife. Such were the current records. There had been a stray hair from Diamond Tiara on Sunset Shimmer’s coat, but so was one of the Crusaders.

Motive, opportunity, capability. These did not add up for anyone involved. Without the context of recent events leading up to the Anon-A-Miss attempted murder case, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo certainly had a motive: the same as why they’d become Anon-A-Miss in the first place. Everything leading up to the case puts that in doubt: they had confessed and were getting Sunset for the party. This however gave them a good opportunity. Were they capable? They had become Anon-A-Miss, and completely indifferent to Sunset’s fate and consequent injuries. They had the upper hand in numbers. Sunset was significantly weaker with a broken leg and spirit. It was not likely the three youngsters had thought through the consequences of them killing Sunset, so it cast much uncertainty on their abilities.

Diamond Tiara had gotten her friendships ruined. How perfect a vengeance would it be if she could frame those who stole it from her with the murder of the only one who could redeem them? Then again, why not simply take out the crusaders instead? She had no actual reason to go after Sunset personally, unless perhaps it was in the moment. A crime of opportunity.

Coming from wealth and a good peaceful household, she lacked the fighting skills to even take out a weakened Sunset Shimmer, who would stand a fair chance with her cunning and experience. The police records also showed a very recently additional detail of her having a history of being hemophobic, despite the lack of any further confirmation through other means. If she were to take a life, it would not be through a way involving blood.

Lastly, the opportunity was technically there. There was a knife present, as was Diamond Tiara. These are established facts. If there was a struggle, Diamond Tiara may have gotten the knife, that has been added to the report as not having her prints, but those of the crusaders.

- - -

Publicly, it remained an ongoing but quiet investigation. Behind closed doors, the file had changed hands more than a worn dollar bill. With nothing to go on, the media sought out the mayor. A press conference was issued. The mayor had promised to dedicate what she could to the case.

Beside the mayor stood the mother of the victim, who was not happy to be away from her daughter. However, if she was to be here, she had a curse to bestow. No amount of make-up could hide the anger, devastation, defeat and sorrow going through Fleur de Lis. Fancy Pants sat in the audience right across from her, close by.

Over the murmur Ms Mare began. “Welcome all.” The murmer died down. ”I’d like to thank first of all the busy staff from the hospital, the first responders and the police force who are involved in this case. Please, a round of applause for these great heroes for saving one of our precious citizens.”

The crew rose and got a standing ovation. Mayor Mare continued.

“Further, I’d like to welcome the press and thank them for following etiquette.” She turned to Principal Celestia, who had shown up with a student reporter. “Including the little ones.” She smiled and gave a small bow. “Thank you for coming.”

“We are here today to answer some of your questions with regards to the Anon-a-Miss Murder as it’s been called. However, before we begin, Fleur de Lis will have the stage.” People started paying close attention and soon enough were nary a whisper. ”Fleur de Lis, if you please.”

Fleur stepped up to the microphone stand. The room went quiet for all but the sounds of the scarce camera shutter. She braced herself, firmly grabbing the wooden top of the lectern.

“The past few days I have spent in the hospital – Sitting beside my dying daughter. When every word, spoken and heard, when every look and glance could be the last, all else becomes insignificant.”

She looked down and raised a hand toward her face. A stillness lingered before she found the strength to continue. In the audience she noticed the doctor who had performed the miracle. That warm smile of his lifted her spirits for a breath or two, allowing her thoughts to continue.

“I owe my everlasting gratitude to the wonderful and amazing staff at the Canterlot Hospital, as well as the heroic first responders and police officers who’s invaluable and valiant efforts have saved that life most precious to me.”

“I am grateful that she has been, and still is, recuperating really well, though initially she had to fight terrific odds. I am grateful for her strength, tried as she might be.”

“I trust the police force will put in their best effort to see to it that this murderer won’t get a second chance to strike at anyone else. Thank you, mayor mare.” they turned towards one another. “Thank you for making this matter a priority.”

“Of course,” the mayor continued. “Our city will not be safe with a murderer on the loose. This case will take a high priority.”

The audience grew rowdy at the sign of the last words being in sight and Fleur’s presence at the meeting drawing to an end.

“Now then,” the mayor said. “We have a few minutes for questions by members of the press.” She looked to Fleur de Lis, who looked to Fancy Pants nearby. He saw her grimace, she saw his smile and returned it. They both gave a nod.

“I’ll be fine,” Fleur said, clasping her trembling hands together.

Mayor Mare turned back to the chaos that was the press trying to get in their questions first.

“Yes, you,” she pointed, “for the Canterlot News Network.”

The others piped down.

“I have a question for Mayor Mare and the chief of police,” the woman began. “We’ve had testimony from the three young students who were with Sunset Shimmer at the time of the incident. How much do their allegations weigh in on the investigation at the present time?”

The chief of police stepped onto the podium to take the question. “I regret to inform you that we cannot comment on the development of the case at this present time.” His face grew stern. “But rest assured that we’re sifting through every scrap of material that can contribute to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for the attack on Sunset Shimmer.”

The loudness of the crowd had returned.

“You, the youngster for the Foal Free Press. Go ahead.” Mayor Mare smiled at the young reporter.

Principal Celestia was chaperoning her student, and nudged her to ask what she wanted to ask.

“Uhm, hello,” she nervously began, “my name is Record and I’m with the Foal Free Press. I have a question for miss Fleur de Lis.” Record’s eyes met Fleur’s death glare, and she almost turned away before she quickly attempted to recover. “First, I want to extend our deepest apologies on behalf of the student body. Most of the students are worried about how Sunset is doing, especially after what they have done, and allowed to be done to her. Most of us also realize our words don’t mean much. ‘Sorry’ isn’t going to make things right, if anything even can.”

“My daughter is more forgiving than I,” Fleur de Lis said. She is far too good for this world. She thought, biting her tongue. She swiftly though briefly looked at Principal Celestia, who with that exchange had the veil lifted from the hellscape that was Fleur’s suffering. From how she herself had let the demons run amok.

Of course, Celestia had considered Fleur’s position in this situation. That single glance however might as well have been the harbinger of her newfound fate, She had brought this reckoning upon this happy family in great ways. She knew she had no idea of the weight hanging over her head.

Record, the young reporter, continued the thought. “My question is, what can I tell the student body about Sunset? How is she?”

The bile was palpable to Fleur. She closed her eyes and sighed. It was the taste of that seed of hatred born of unjust suffering through which they had all put her dearest loved ones. She frowned. There were no innocent people involved in this. She could not, would not and frankly, should not forgive them, for they ought to have, and could have known what they were doing. Certainly they were not on par with the crusaders or the murderer, but Sunset had been seriously bothered and even injured by the lot of them.

“It is nice to know you all suddenly care about your victim. A trial for her life was all it took to convince you to stop.” She opened her steeled eyes and pierced through the crowd to look at the young reporter who had asked the question. “Tell the students that if it were up to me, you would never – see Sunset again, as that would have been the world you created: A world without my daughter.” Her fingers gripped tightly around the lectern.

“Tell them to remember these few days without her by their side and know that she is gone forever by their hands.” Her heart raced. She braced herself and calmed down, letting out a long breath through puckered lips. “Sunset is a lot more forgiving than I am. Her spirit has been scarred. A new girl with the same looks and name will walk your hallways. The old Sunset, my dearly beloved daughter with her wonderful friends, is no more.” She sniffled at her own words, swallowing hard. “Those lives are lost. No more.” Her outrage saved her grace from being overcome by anguish. It’s like a death without a funeral. She thought to herself.

“You do not deserve to beg for her forgiveness, so when Sunset finally comes to wash her own damned blood off of your hands, remember everything you have done to her. You will think of what would bring you to tears and know she has cried herself to sleep every damned night for weeks.” She hit her lectrum. Her face bore a deep frown; an ill blend of revulsion, contempt and remorse. “She was so… so damned upset not even her own parents could make her happy again!” Her chin quivered. We have failed our only daughter! She bit her lip hard and swallowed her words. Her tirade wasn’t over. She could write a doorstop with everything she had to say. It was an effort wasted on these monsters. They would find themselves in Sunset. Only then might her words reach them. “You absolute monsters.” She shook her head. ”That will be all.”

“Th–“ the little girl began stammering “Thank you, miss Fleur de Lis.”

There was a commotion in the audience at the harsh words directed at a mere child, who didn’t seem to be the biggest bully around. Then again, came a whisper, she did represent those who caused Fleur and Sunset so much grief. But to a small child and in such a public occasion?

“Quiet please,” Mayor Mare began. “We have time for one more question.”

If anything, the crowd got louder to get that last shot. The mayor extended her arm to a reporter dead center.

“You there, for Canterlot Capital Ventures. You have the floor.”

The crowd piped down and got seated.

“Hello miss Mare. I have a somewhat tangential question to you if you will. Rumors have it that Rich Enterprises has lost interest in remaining in Canterlot. One of the prime witnesses and suspects is Diamond Tiara, Filthy Rich’s only daughter. What can you tell us about this situation? Does it have any connection to the Anon-a-Miss case?”

“In short, no, the two are unrelated. Rich Enterprises has been negotiating with the city on and off for years. As you all know, Rich Enterprises has been in Canterlot for a long time. A lot of good has come to the city because of their presence and thriving industry. Roads and public transportation are in no small part dedicated to getting employees to their stations. Their families need schools, utilities, services and stores to supply them. I find it difficult to imagine Canterlot as it is today, wealthy, prosperous, wonderful, without Rich’s business.”

“So to answer the question, no, this is nothing out of the ordinary. Only the circumstances around the presidents daughter have changed. But then, so have circumstances for almost everyone. Raise your hand if you don’t know a student, or someone related to a student at Canterlot High and the troubles they’ve been through.”

Only a few hands went up.

“You only need to look to your left or right to find someone who does. What has become of our city?” she lamented, shaking her head. “I truly believe we, the citizens, make the city as great as it is.” She intently looked around the crowd, her attention falling to specific individuals who’d point at themselves in mild confusion.

”I implore you to think about this case as a failure of all of us. What could you have done or done better so this might have been prevented? Even if you don’t know anyone, think of the butterfly effect of your every deed, good or bad.”

More hands and voices went up for questions, though Mayor Mare adjourned the press conference. She felt she’d done her proper job. Fleur de Lis excused herself to go see her daughter. She was escorted off the podium by personal body guards around the back. The chief of police chaperoned the Mayor. The little reporter filly Record looked to her chaperon, who tried to smile back. Their eyes had lost their brilliance.

- - -

The weekend came around and the crusaders were wearing thin from having far too much time on their hands without much of anything to do except reflect on their crime and punishment. Applebloom could feel herself getting dumber by the minute. Very few pieces of paper had been left without a trail of ink or pencil lead. Scootaloo was certain she’d break something the next time she’d set foot on a skateboard. Sweetie Belle was on a one way track to Tartarus called vengeance, despite the talks she had with her friends and her sister.

It wasn’t like anyone had found forgiveness or salvation. Rather, many simply chose to bear their burden lawfully. Sweetie Belle couldn’t fathom how anyone could have witnessed Diamond Tiara’s villainy over the past week and not be moved to act. To not want revenge. Justice.

“She just won’t stop!” Sweetie Belle cried out loud. “How can you two just let her off this easy? You think she’ll just change like that? No!”

“Who’s letting her off?!” Scootaloo protested. “She will get hers! We know what happened. Sunset knows what happened. There’s no way she won’t end up doing time!”

“Were you even listening to anything she said?” Colgate would faint at the teeth grating Sweetie Belle had been up to. “She’s pinning this on us! It’ll just be our word against hers and that’s how it ends. How is that justice? How is us even having this conversation in stress and anger while she’s out there shopping her head off with that stupid grin of hers justice?!”

Applebloom quietly looked on. It’s not that she had nothing to say. Most of the things she had been thinking came up again and again anyway. Being quiet gave her pause for thought, and even let her reflect kindly on her sister’s decision to just back off for a while.

“It… It’s not,” Scootaloo stammered. “But we can’t exactly go around just hurting people either.”

“Why not?” Sweetie Belle blurted out blatantly. “We wouldn’t ‘just go around hurting people’. Just that murderous deserving bitch Diamond Tiara. Not for no reason, not anyone else.”

“So you want to become just like her?” Scootaloo rebutted, again. This conversation is one they’d had before. “Hurting her won’t heal Sunset and it won’t bring back our friends.”

“Grrrr For the millionth time! It’s not. About that!” Sweetie Belle yelled. “She almost murdered our friend, Scootaloo! She’s a danger to everyone! She has,” she clapped the top of her hand into the palm of the other. ”To pay!”

“Sweetie Belle, calm down,” Applebloom offered, afraid she might have an outburst. “Remember, we’re all in this together. No point in gettin’ upset with one another.”

“Well, … ” Maybe I am. Maybe you two should grow a spine and realize we need to deal with her ourselves. Sweetie Belle thought. She sighed. “I’m sorry I yelled,” She said, rolling her eyes. ”I just don’t want to have this fight anymore.”

“I just don’t want us to break apart and give in to her,” Scootaloo said. “Hurting her will only get us into deeper trouble than it’s worth and hurt our case. We’d only make things better for her in the long run.”

“I’m so done talking about this,” Sweetie Belle sighed.

“Well, if you ever think of hurting her again, just picture her in an orange jumpsuit behind bars for life.”

How many times had Applebloom and Scootaloo talked to her about this? They too wanted the same. To put Diamond Tiara through agony as much as she’d hurt others, combined and tenfold if possible. If they were to, say, stop her from breathing forevermore, what would become of them, their families, their community, town and country? They also realized it wasn’t up to them, and that it wasn’t going to happen. Not lawfully anyway.

One act of violence against their friend had caused such ripples. Despite not wanting to believe it, they didn’t want to risk finding out just how many people loved Diamond Tiara, nor just how much they did. Add in the fact that Diamond Tiara is the de facto princess of the county and beyond through her connection with Rich Enterprises. It would not just be them to be struck with calamity. The farm would be ruined. Rarity wouldn’t sell a single design for the rest of her life. Rainbow Dash would lose herself if no team would want her, if no sponsor or trainer would help her out.

Death to one is death to all. This is what the incident with Sunset has made clear. Even if no one could express or understand those words, it was how almost everyone acted ever since. However, Diamond Tiara had to pay for her crime. Justice was due. She had to go, one way or another. Her old world presence was violating the future she made with those fateful stabs. A future where everyone else has already been reborn, for better or for worse. This could not stand.

Much to Applebloom’s relief, their suspension would only last a further two school days. The weekend didn’t count to their suspension and so, they weren’t required to stay cooped up all day. Nevertheless, as soon as they stepped out that door to finally frolic, that odious feeling of it not being their place, of them not deserving peace of mind, dropped like a brick. This weekend, tomorrow morning to be exact, Sunset was to address Applejack alone. They’d monitored their sisters and friends preparing, though they didn’t do much more than twirl their fingers. The air had been so tense they could have built a clubhouse on top of it.

An agreement came to be. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy went home. Rarity came to pick up her sister to meet their parents. Rainbow Dash was long gone. Scootaloo had cautiously asked if she could stay with Applebloom. Applejack however wanted some alone time with her sister to discuss the upcoming few days and the next day in particular. The day Applejack would face Sunset first, and then again her friends. Thus, Scootaloo had to face the loneliness in the company of her dire thoughts.

The road back home seemed long and deserted even amid the densest crowds. Now would come the first time in a week she would not be around anyone else. Simply knowing a confidant would be nearby would suffice. All she had at home were the maids, though not after these hours.

Never had the hours passed so slowly as they had that Saturday and Sunday. The night had been too long to stay awake, yet too short to catch a blink of sleep. By dawn, it was nothing but an anxious heartbeat that kept everyone going. A reckoning had come.

Scootaloo had shown up early. Sweetie Belle had tagged along with Rarity arriving a bit later. They had all helped in preparing some food for their company while they were discussing the things Applejack had tended to with Sunset. The crusaders could hear the voices but could not make out the words. The muffled sound had been enough. A chill ran down Scoot’s back, hearing Rainbow Dash’s pleas and cries.

She had done this. To her. To all of them. To herself, her friends, their families. Sweetie Belle’s words had been incomprehensible to her. None of this would have happened had they not been so foolish and jealous. They may not have wielded that knife, but it ended up where it did because of them all the same. If only it had been them instead of Sunset. If only it had been those deserving.

They had hurt Diamond Tiara, which had eventually lead to her making an attempt on their lives.

Scootaloo tried to envision what it must be like to break up with Sweetie Belle and Applebloom over something someone else had brought up between them. Not because things were off between the three of them, but because of the poison someone threw into their chemistry. It wasn’t easy. The three of them had no mysteries between them as far as she knew. That might just be the thing to break them apart if it turned out to be false.

She shook her head, not even wanting to feel out such a hypothetical. A situation she’s put so many people into while being Anon-a-Miss.

She had to apologize. She had to make amends and she had do it right. One week of suspension had done nothing to set anything straight. All it had done was relieve the tension and allow everyone to cool down so as to not act on hot headed impulses.

Thinking of everyone, she rolled onto the other half of her bed. Rainbow Dash would always be her number one. Even for the slightest inconvenience Scootaloo would grovel. Her head spun at how to restore the mane six.

Sunset was next, still hospitalized. Tomorrow, at least before next Saturday, she’d be released again. Just like the three little perps who put her there. She had to thank her first, for saving their lives. Something that they had brought upon themselves in the first place, at her expense. She’d never get past her mother, to whom she also wanted to apologize and express her gratitude.

If she were to set anything right with Fleur and Sunset, if there even was that possibility, it would be through actions alone. There was nothing she could say, and barely a thing or two – unthinkable things – she could do to make it so. She might not even deserve to. If only there were that magic spell.

Sunset’s friends’ friendships had been cracked as well. They were still on that cusp, where it might go any which way. Scootaloo saw nothing but impending doom were nothing to change. Yet out of everyone, she had become– she had made herself the least worthy of trust and faith and redemption. There was nothing she could do. Nobody would listen. Nobody would hear her out. Even if they would, they would not believe her. She would be screaming into the void with no one to blame but herself.

It would be difficult to talk to Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity and most of all, Dash. To ask them to at least forgive one another, if they hadn’t already. Scootaloo knew too little about how they were doing among each other to tell. She didn’t even know if Rainbow Dash would be the easiest or the hardest to approach. They hadn’t talked like Sweetie and Rarity, or Applebloom and AJ had. If those two weren’t forgiving, she could only imagine the rage, anger and pain still dwelling in her hero.

For a week, and now for the last two nights without end, it was all she could think about. That insurmountable mountain. To save a world so much bigger than she was, being as small as she is. A hunger insatiable, never reaching beyond the “how?” where the ever smaller steps to a complete path may lie. How could she do this, knowing full well she had no options to do anything?

She felt like crying, undeserving as she was of the solace it would bring. Instead, like bubbles in boiling water, ideas of what she could do started coming to her now that she could relax a little. She could leave notes for everyone, on other’s behalf. She could illicit kind gestures among individuals at school somehow. Maybe even between those on bad terms. Could Applebloom or Sweetie Belle ask if AJ or Rarity could poke Rainbow Dash so they can talk again? What had even happened since last week? She didn’t even know what school would be like. Should she go see the counselor?

That wasn’t a half bad idea. If there was one adult who’d have answers, it’d be Soft Spot. She knows the students and ought to be aware of most of the troubles brewing.

Having settled on her certain bet, she turned off her night light and finally found some peace of mind.

- - -

The weekend had passed and the sun cast long shadows across the dewy grass patches spread throughout Canterlot city. Three young girls stood by a street corner nearby their school, plotting on how to tackle their destiny awaiting them. It was not yet their time, but they had permissions to at least watch and try to gauge the situation.

The first students were passing them by without so much as a glance. The crusaders were in an alley so as to not draw attention after all. No. They were mere observants of the morning rituals of the many they had wronged. Most of the students seemed to be doing fair, having not much of any expression to reveal their state. Lazy daydreams before the hustle and bustle of the day would kick in were plentiful.

Some students they’d recognize. Some who used to walk together now walked alone, still frowning or anxiously twirling their thumbs and whatnot. A strange way to conjure up that much needed bravery to restore old friendships. The crusaders swallowed at the sight of work ahead and the risk of incurring further burdens.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps drew closer from behind. Fancy shoes moving to a step revealing class.

“Now this is surprising,” Diamond Tiara began, “Whoever necromanced you three back from hell?”

“Diamond Tiara,” Applebloom spat. “What’s the big idea on pinnin’ yer crimes on us? Haven’t y’all put us through enough yet?”

Diamond Tiara’s eyebrows hit their absolute ceiling. “Moi?! What I’ve put you through? Don’t be ridiculous! You did this, remember?” She carefully took in her adversaries. A rebellious Applebloom, a hulking Sweetie Belle and a slinking Scootaloo. Bingo. “It’s all your fault.” She faux winced at her ever so honest grief. “You even cost me my friendship with Silver Spoon,” she said teary eyed. “Why did you have to be so cruel to me? To all of us?”

Without a word, with a dash, Sweetie Belle lunged at the pink pompous menace, only to be tripped up by Scootaloo clinging to her legs in the nick of time. She hit the ground hard, as did Scootaloo.

“You bitch!” Sweetie Belle screamed. “You bitch! Murderer! Grrrr!” She began kicking Scootaloo, punctuating her screams of rage. ”Get! – Off! – Of! – Me! – Scoo – ta – loo!” She kicked her friend as hard as she would have Diamond Tiara, trying to get her off. Scootaloo didn’t let go. Diamond Tiara suddenly seized Sweetie Belle’s attention. ”I hope you woke up well this morning because I swear you won’t be doing that again!”

“Oh ho, is that so?” Diamond Tiara lilted. She looked around Sweetie Belle to talk to Scootaloo. “Thank you Scootaloo, for stopping your barbaric friend.”

“What the hell Scootaloo!” Sweetie Belle yelled out. “What in the actual f–”

“Don’t listen to her!” Scootaloo said. “It’s not worth it Sweetie Belle!”

Applebloom stepped in between Sweetie Belle and Diamond Tiara, unsure of how well she could constrain any one of them (or herself for that matter).

“Yer wrong, Diamond Tiara,” Applebloom spoke calmly. “We cud’ve all had a happy endin’ at that party everyone setup for Sunset.” She stomped her way forward three paces, nearly hitting the little aristocrat with her index finger. “But you had to ruin everything! What the hell were you thinking?! Even you were invited!”

Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes. Then she noticed Scootaloo’s pleading look, as if begging for an answer to make sense of it all. “I think you mean, ‘even you,” She nearly put her index finger on Applebloom’s chest,” were invited.’ Don’t you forget what you did. I can’t believe you’re still allowed to attend that school after what you’ve done.”

Applebloom completely squared up to Diamond Tiara, mere inches away from her. Neither backed down. Diamond Tiara merely smirked.

“Why even bother showing up? It’s not like you’ll be welcome even after your suspension end,” Diamond Tiara continued. “You know Sunset would’ve been fine had she not come along with you three.” She stepped a little sideways. The orange girl was but a cat’s plaything. “You would’ve gotten what you still deserve.”

With tears in her eyes Applebloom pulled back a fist, ready to swing.

“APPLEBLOOM NO!! Please!” Scootaloo cried. “Don’t do it!”

“Why not!?” Applebloom and Sweetie Belle asked simultaneously, turning to their friend.

“I can only hold back one of you!” Scootaloo said. “We’ve done too much already! Please don’t make things worse!”

How good would it feel to swing that fist at a completely defenseless Diamond Tiara? To feel the skin connect. To feel knuckles compress against that tender cheekbone sheltered from all harm that may come to it? To see her fall over, wince, bite the dust. To kick hard that soft belly. Oh the joy, the ecstasy! To bruise! To tear, break and rupture well beyond drawing a speck of blood!

What was Scootaloo going to do to stop them? Applebloom knew there was nothing standing between her and Diamond Tiara. What a chance! Why was her fist not swinging? She looked at it. All the blood and energy was there, ready to strike. It was itching, trembling. Scootaloo saw and looked away from what could only be inevitable.

The desperation in Scootaloo didn’t elude Diamond tiara. On the inside, a wicked grin set in like batter in a mold. She gingerly took a step back. “What are you going to do?” She asked, carefully lacing every word with dread.

Applebloom turned back to Diamond Tiara, who had dropped her confidence and now held her arms close to her body, her hands clenched up to her chin. “She ruin’d yer friendship with Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo! Are ya jus’ gonna let her git away with that?” She raised her fists.

Diamond Tiara flinched. “Please don’t hurt me!” She squealed.

“When was the last time you even talked to her?!” Sweetie Belle asked. “Do you want to lose her forever?!”

“No!” Scootaloo yelled, tears now running down her cheeks. “No! No, no, no!”

“Please!” Diamond Tiara started to whimper. “Please don’t hurt me!”

”Hurting her won’t bring back Rainbow Dash! If you hurt her now, you’ll end up in jail! We could all end up in jail! I don’t have Dash, but you still have your sisters! And I still have you two! We still have each other!”

Sweetie Belle tried again to wrestle herself from Scootaloo’s graps, who relented, figuring she’d convinced her. The two of them came to stand beside Applebloom. Much to Sweetie Belle’s surprise, it was Applebloom who‘d not moved a muscle. If ever there was a time she was ready to go.

“Ah still have mah sister, do Ah?” Her voice came in quiet. She looked to the ground, trembling. ”Applejack!” Applebloom said through clenched teeth, tears welling up. “Last night… She…” She bit her lower lip, biting her tongue. No way would she give Diamond Tiara the satisfaction. Her heart was pounding. “You!”

All the color drained from Applebloom’s face, as her words had run dry. All she had left was violence.

She was no Rainbow Dash, but she’d be damned if she could not outrun Applebloom or Sweetie Belle. Fists connected. Diamond Tiara fell back further, even though she was still okay. Between her and her assailants stood a helpless deviant, inviting disaster into a friendship she thought would last forever.

With a heavy thud and an oof, Scootaloo fell to the ground with her legs up into the air, only just barely missing the little tyrant.

“Scootaloo!” Sweetie Belle squeaked. She turned to Applebloom, who’s fist was trembling. She was clenching her teeth tight. “Applebloom, why?”

“Yeah Applebloom, why?” Diamond Tiara asked with snark. “Why did you punch your friend? Was it because she deserved it? Well don’t worry, she at least knows she does. This will be your school life from now on. I advise you three get used to it.”

Before Sweetie or Applebloom could rebut (or retaliate), Scootaloo jumped to her feet, hurt as though she was, and spread her arms wide.

“Shut up!” She yelled, facing her friends. “My friends turning violent, turning into you, … I won’t let it happen! Every damned word from you is poison!” She looked her companions in the eyes. “Stop listening to her! You idiots!”

A noticeable bruise was forming where Applebloom had punched her. Applebloom grabbed the wrists of Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo and hurriedly left the alleyway away from school, leaving Diamond Tiara behind.

“Applebloom, what’s gotten into you?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“In a minute,” the country girl said. “Lets just go home first.”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle exchanged looks, and with a nod they followed without a word.

Back at the barn, Applebloom revealed what she’d heard from Applejack’s conversation with Sunset. The recording she’d made for whatever reason. As far as Applebloom was concerned, having seen Applejack cry the only time of which she knows, her sister will never be friends with Sunset again. Even though the mane five are still together, their ice has gotten very thin.

The conversation moved to how Sunset had made it clear she held her five friends responsible for their apathy and worse, antagonism, when she had needed them most. They all got rightfully chewed out. If those were Applejack’s odds, what was there to do for the Crusaders?

“Ah’m sorry for punching you, Scootaloo,” Applebloom said. “But now at least ya know why. Diamond Tiara ruined everything. She was the nail in the coffin.” Scootaloo wanted to interject, to object, but Applebloom raised her finger. “As bad as we were, ‘n frankly we were the worst, Sunset was on her way to the party. Would she have burned her friends as much if it wasn’t for Diamond Tiara?”

“We’ll never know,” Scootaloo said remorsefully. “Did she say anything to Applejack about being in the hospital, or was it just about what they’d done to her?”

“Ah can’t remember,” Applebloom said nervously. “But Ah can’t imagine coming back from death’s doorstep can do a friendship any good.” Applebloom swallowed hard for what she was about to say. “Ah know this is hard ta say but, as far as Sunset’s concerned, it sounded like her friends, our sisters, are as much to blame as we or even Diamond Tiara.”

“What?!” Sweetie Belle shouted. “That’s ridiculous! They only did that because we–” She cut herself off.

“Because, because we were ruining everything,” Scootaloo finished. She had all but lost hope that Sweetie Belle could see her point this time. “Didn’t I tell you? None of this would’ve happened had we just … I don’t even know. Just not this.”

“Well,” Applebloom started. “If more o’ the students, ‘specially Sunset’s friends, had stood up for ‘er, things wouldn’t’ve been so bad for her either. She did say it was up to Applejack to find out the truth, honest as she prides herself ta be.”

“But we caused it all!” Scootaloo said. “She shouldn’t have been hurt and bullied in the first place.”

“Yeah, we didn’t do all that!” Sweetie Belle said. “That was everyone else!”

“Ah guess all Sunset’s sayin’ is that no matter what, if you see yer friends in trouble, you stick by em’. And what her friends did …” She held her breath for a moment, thinking about what it might be like. When she found her voice it trembled. “… What mah own flesh ‘n blood has done to her … Ah can’t even imagine what she must be goin’ through. If you two did that to me, Ah’d have second thoughts about you two too.”

A moment of silence fell and broke.

“Ah wouldn’t forgive you.” Ah wouldn’t forgive mahself either.

Far was it for Applebloom to realize what seeds she had just planted. Her love was not unconditional. Her friendships not so valuable as to be worth every sacrifice, not even Sunset’s. It was this unspoken truth that resonated deeply with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. They knew in their hearts, they did. In that part of it that only connected on depths their thoughts could not yet reach. So they reflected on it in a wordless acknowledgement.

“‘n Then there’s making new everyday lahv’s for ourselves agin,“ Applebloom said. “Ah’m not lookin’ for’rd to having to deal with Diamond Tiara. Ah’m not sure Ah can control mahself.” She looked to Sweetie Belle, who she knew was going through the same struggles.

“No way anyone would want to sit with us,” She started. “What’s to stop anyone from treating us like they had treated Sunset Shimmer?” Scootaloo gulped, knowing she had none but her two friends to rely on. “I’m sure our sisters won’t want to sit with us either. Or even step in if we got things thrown at us. I hope they will, but… It’s our mess.”

“I’ve been thinking,” Scootaloo started. “We should probably go talk to Soft Spot. And there’s another thing…”

“What’s that?”

“We… Well, at some point anyway,… ”

“Spit it out!”

“We’ll have to thank Sunset for saving our lives, and then beg that we can somehow fix all those friendships we broke. Especially with Sunset.”

“Ah’m not sure she’d let us,” Applebloom said. “’n We’ll need a good thinkin’ ‘bout it before we can even decide on how to do it. Raht now Ah don’t even want to face ‘er.”

“I think we should,” Sweetie Belle said.

“What? Why?” Applebloom looked at Scootaloo, who looked as worried as she did.

“I’ve had some talks with Rarity.” She looked away. “They weren’t happy little tea time talks for sure. She had some rough things to say that she never wanted to say. I never wanted to hear them either.” She looked at her two best friends sincerely. “But I’m glad I have, and I’m glad she did. It’s best to get it over with. Even if the outcome is bad, at least we’ll know how bad it is. – Things aren’t right between me and my sister yet, but I’m glad I get that second chance. Now it won’t fester, as she put it.”

“Ah’ve tried talking to Applejack, but all she does is listen. Ah’ve tried asking Big Mac,” she realized how bizarre things had gotten where Big Mac was more talkative than her sister, “But he always comes back to only Applejack knowing what she thinks and feels. She’ll have ta be honest about ‘erself. She’s not one to show she’s hurtin’, much less admit it. Even though her bein’ quiet is kinda both at the same time.”

“Then, what did she say?”

“She said she didn’t know. That she has ta deal with’rself before she deals with anything else.” Applebloom looked away. “Or anyone for that matter. Although,” she wanted to lighten the mood with a positive note, following Sweetie Belle’s example. “She has been ‘round her friends. Mahbe she’s changed her mind.”

A quiet pause fell before new dark clouds rolled in. “How ’bout you Scootaloo?”

The last time Scootaloo and Dash had interacted was soon after the incident. All she remembered was scolding and violence, interrupted by Fluttershy. Her stopping Rainbow Dash despite having zero sympathy for the crusaders had hurt all the more. Scootaloo didn’t even remember their final words exchanged. It couldn’t have been anything good, she imagined.

The desk chair squeaked a little when she spun around. She didn’t want to face her friends. She didn’t want to face this ugly painful truth. Seeing her at school was absolutely out of the question. If not there, then where? They had no clubs in common, they’d never bump into one another on their commutes, so where then would Scootaloo finally be able to tell her just how sorry she is?

“We haven’t talked yet,” she said as though admitting to a crime. She hung her head low. “Not since we got scolded.”

“Then what about when I was at my sister’s place?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Ah thought she went home,” Applebloom answered. “She couldn’t stay here since Applejack wanted some alone time with just our family. Ah’m sorry it had to be that way.”

“Yeah, I did go home,” Scootaloo said. “I wish I hadn’t. I wish I hadn’t been all alone.” In her voice was no spite, only truth. Her friends exchanged a pitiful look. ”I wish Rainbow Dash’d been there to talk to me.” She started to sob. “Hell, I’d take her scolding and screaming. At least… At least I wouldn’t go through this alone.”

Her friends wanted to object, seeing how they’ve been together throughout this thus far. But it wasn’t the same. They did have their family and friends, wry as their relationships were at the moment. But Scootaloo only had the two of them, for one reason or another. AJ and Rarity only have one sister, but Dash will always have another number one fan. Unless they’d talk to her, they’d never know how she’s dealing with all of this.

“Oh God I miss her so bad!” The thread that held together her fractured self came undone. Why did she spend time alone? Tears were running from her wrists down to her elbow as she cried into her hands. “I’m so alone… I’m so miserable and alone. It’s all my fault.”

“I don’t deserve to be by her side,” she sobbed. “But it hurts so bad!”

“It won’t be easy,” Applebloom started, “but we’ll have to work really hard to earn our sister’s trust again.” She looked to Sweetie Belle.

“We got our second chances, Rainbow Dash might give you one too,” she said.

“I doubt it.” At the pit of her stomach, Scootaloo could feel the wrenching making her nauseous at the prospects, none of ‘em good. “I know her. As far as she knows, we made her betray Sunset.” She wiped her tears and sat forward, resting her elbows on her knees. Her face had lost a lot of color.

“You could at least give it a try? Maybe we can ask our sisters what’s up?” Sweetie Belle said hopefully.

Scootaloo shook her head. “She’s gonna be upset with everyone, most of all herself. She’s gonna be so angry and upset she won’t know who to lash out at first. She probably doesn’t even want to lash out. She just won’t even know it.”

She looked to her two friends. “If we would go to her now, we’d get all that heat on us.”

Applebloom considered. “Mahbe talkin’ to the counselor ain’t a bad idea,” She said. “Ah mean, if ya really know Rainbow Dash that well, wouldn’t it help her if she could talk to you?”

Scootaloo looked away, why she didn’t know. With every thought and word spoken her new responsibilities grew both in weight and number. No one wants this situation and yet it keeps on escalating and growing seemingly beyond anyone’s control. Let alone three little girls. She sighed.

“I’m really glad you two still have your sisters, for what it’s worth,” she said without a shred of cynicism. “At least you two still have hope.”

“Scootaloo, we do need to fix everything we can,” Sweetie Belle began. “But we don’t need ta fix e’rything all at once,” Applebloom finished. “All we’re askin’ is that ya talk to Rainbow Dash.”

Scootaloo kept quiet.

”It won’t be easy.” Sweetie Belle nodded. “But ya gotta give it a chance! For all we know, Dash could miss you all the same. Or avoid you over being hurt or hurting anyone else.”

“Okay. I’ll try. If you two can do it, then I’ll try too,” the orange girl said with a spark of determination. “I’ll talk to the counselor first though.”

- - -

School was hell, so they had ever more presumed after their encounter with Diamond Tiara. Nobody wanted to talk to them there, most didn’t wanted them there entirely and lots of students were actively pursuing them in some way. They had dropped in in-between classes on their first day after their suspension had ended. Word was that Sunset had returned as well, and that their sisters and friends were about on that front. It was a rare whisper to espouse delight.

They had gone so far as to try back doors first, only to find out they were locked. There was only one way in and out outside of urgent situations (theirs not included). A few students wandering the premises before or after class gave them the stink eye, if they bothered to look to them at all. They were less than the dirt beneath a doormat. Bad luck had certainly found them as ‘accidents’ kept happening all over the place. From neighboring locker doors hitting them, to doors slamming in their faces, to students ‘accidentally’ bumping into them, it all seemed mighty convenient. However, all of it had been passive. This was nothing like what Sunset had gone through.

They had made their way to Soft Spot’s office prior to their first class. They were reminded that they had a scheduled appointment later that day, after their detention. It wasn’t like Soft Spot could tend to many students during class hours, she’d said. She would be there even after the Crusaders would leave for the day.

The worst part, so they had mistakenly thought at that point, was stepping into the classroom of their first class. Their regular spots had been filled out by other students. When they looked to their regular partners for group assignments for some sort of explanation, one look was all it took to make it crystal clear that they’d never work with any of them ever again. Thus they took the only place available to them, at the back row between the (other) delinquents.

“We know what you did,” one rando said, punching Applebloom’s shoulder. “Don’t think anyone’s forgotten.”

“You might be okay now,” another said, throwing an arm around Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, “but I’d keep some time available for a visit to the nurse’s office. Or a dentist.”

These guys weren’t the only ones, the frightened little girls knew. Truth just happened to be a nice arm to terrorize them. They looked around the classroom, noticing a few further glares. Their lives were over, their heart just hadn’t gotten the memo.

Soon enough, lunch came around. The crusaders had decided way ahead of time the cafeteria would be off limits. No way would they come out of a food fight (or worse) unscathed. Instead, they trued to sneak out the front without drawing too much attention to themselves. At least the nearby grocery store had some food available.

On their way back, a rowdy crew seemed to be waiting for them to come back. School was still around the next corner, so it wasn’t like any teachers or staff would come running either.

As soon as they got closer, they were being watched like vermin by cats, snakes and hawks. To be toyed with sadistically, poisoned and eaten. With naive optimism, they kept on moving closer, hoping they could simply go to their next class undisturbed without delay. Instead, the students spread out. Four guarding the way back to the school premises, eight surrounding the three little girls in what was still a wide circle. Other students started flocking around as well.

“Well now,” one of the girls ahead of them said, “look who we have here. The three little blabbermouth psychopath cowards who dare show their faces. Haven’t you done enough?”

“We–”

“Breathing, I mean. How have you not offed yourselves yet? It’d be so much easier for everyone. Some of us, well some students, have had very creative ideas this pas week.”

“If you really want an answer, –” Applebloom started before being cut off.

“No, I don’t. We,” she gestured to the students around her. More of them had gathered, though they were mostly onlookers. “don’t. I think we know enough.” She got plenty of nods. “You’ll pay for everything you’ve done!” She raised her voice, but as soon as she realized she had, she put her hands in front her her, palms facing down and lowered them with a sigh, regaining her composure.

“I’ve had so many ideas,” she said, licking her lips. She put down her purse. “At first it was just a kick me sign and childish pranks like that. You would’ve gotten kicked into a bloody” – she tightly clenched her fist, drawing out the bloody o’s – ”pulp, since it’d bait so many other students.” She got out an unlabeled jar of half-opaque murky gray gel. “But really, that wouldn’t do much justice to your crimes.” She unscrewed the lid off of the jar. “No. I’ve been thinking, and you’ll find out what’s ahead of you. Pranks won’t do, oh no.” She chuckled. “Still, of all the pranks, this was just too funny not to pull. For starters.” She looked to a few strong looking boys. “Hold them down!”

Suddenly, the boys jumped the crusaders and pinned them down. The girls’ hearts raced. They struggled to break free but it was no use. The boys moved their heads together and overlapped their hair. Scootaloo and Applebloom saw the girl moving the jar closer to where the boys had bundled their hair.

“Any last words?” she asked.

“We’re sorry!” Sweetie Belle said. “We never meant any harm!” Applebloom yelled. “I’m sorry I hurt you!” Scootaloo whimpered. “I’m sorry we got Sunset almost killed! We’re sorry everyone broke up!”

“Welp, I guess that makes two of us at least,” the girl with the jar said when she began poring the substance over their hair.

“Ugh, what is that?!” Sweetie Belle said with a grimmace. “Is that? … Is that glue?!”

The girl only smirked as she tilted the jar to let out as much glue as possible. It splotched down in big globs onto their hair.

“Correct!” the glue girl said. “We’re all worse off for having the three of you around, so the least you can do is be horrible together.”

“Get up!” One of the boys holding them down had let go of one of them and nudged her with a foot. The other boys let go as well. Slowly, they got up, trying to find their bags.

“Looking for this?” One of the surrounding students taunted. Spirits were actually getting jovial in the crowd. “Toss it! Toss it!” Another said on the other side.

“Give it back!” Sweetie Belle yelled in anger. She tried tugging at her hair, but it was no use.

“You can have it back when I get my friends back!” The bully threw her bag right at Sweetie Belle, too much to her surprise. She got knocked down and pulled the other two with her. The crowd loved it. Before she could get a hold of her bag, another student had picked it up again. Everyone was laughing now.

“Maybe if you weren’t such a terrible friend you could’ve all just laughed it off!” Sweetie Belle rebelled. “Maybe you don’t deserve any friends if you’re such a little bitch!”

“What the hell, Sweetie Belle!” Scootaloo said.

“You’re not helping!” Said Applebloom.

Sweetie Belle got up, pulling up Applebloom and Scootaloo in the process.

The bully put his fist in his hand. “What did you just say?” Said the bully.

“What, are you dense too? No wonder your friends left you!” Sweetie Belle said. ”I bet the secret was the perfect opportunity to ditch you.”

“You’re lucky I don’t punch girls! Else I –”

Then came a shove. Right in her chest. It wasn’t the bully. Sweetie Belle bumped into Applebloom and Scootaloo, sending all of them tumbling down. From the crowd, Sunset had appeared, flush with anger. The students stepped back in shock. Sunset looked around, though not at anyone in particular, reading the audience. Then she turned to Sweetie Belle.

“Sunset? What’d you do that for?!” She yelled. Applebloom and Scootaloo couldn’t see her, but they were keen to listen.

“I risk my life to save your worthless hides and this is how you repay me?” Sunset said calmly. Sweetie Belle shut her trap. “You’re just going to make things worse for everyone?” She asked rhetorically. “You owe me your lives! I own you! So you better listen and fix your shit, or there will be hell to pay!” Sweetie Belle swallowed. The other two remained quiet. “You got that?”

Sweetie Belle nodded, not sure why. It wasn’t like she agreed. Was Sunset just going to let all the harassment and assault slip like nothing happened? Sweetie Belle could still see her all battered, bruised and broken. It was different from what Diamond Tiara did, but to just let that go would be unthinkable! Yet, on her back and on the ground, stuck to her friends and unable to rise up, she couldn’t exactly tell her that.

Sunset turned around to the bully. “And you,” she said. She then turned to the girl with the empty jar. “And you,” again, “And all of you. Are you really going to do to them what you’ve done to me?!” The girl dropped the jar, sending it bouncing until it rolled to a stop. “You bullied me, assaulted me and some few even broke my leg! Someone tried to god damn murder me!”

“So what?” came a voice from the crowd. A guy stepped forward. “You can’t seriously expect us to just let them go? You should be here with us! All the shit you went through was because of them in the first place!”

“No it’s not!” Sunset growled. “They didn’t lay a finger on me, but a lot of you did! You hurt someone, you own it! I know why you did it, but it was you who did it. You’re as bad as they are if three little girls can just manipulate you like that!”

“What the hell, Sunset!” came another from the crowd. The group had grown rowdy at the hot take.

“Is anyone even going to say sorry for what they’ve done to me?!” Sunset asked in anger. “Because that still hasn’t happened! At least these three rotten little,” she held back a few choice words, ”have apologized!” Sunset looked at the three disreputables. “And seeing as how you’ve only found another target instead of stopping, you haven’t learned a god damned thing.” She looked around again. “Any of you!”

Someone rolled their eyes and Sunset. “Yeah, I don’t need to hear that from you of all people. Acting all high and mighty but not once have you said sorry about your bullying.” She reconsidered. “Well, maybe if you count the Rainbooms. And we all know how well that turned out.”

“At least I learned my lesson. At least I’d stopped bullying and tried my best to be friendly with others,” these words had a bitter taste. Sunset knew the girl was right, and she addressed her directly. “And I’m sorry. I’m sorry I haven’t apologized to anyone the way I should have.”

She sighed. “After my friends took me in, I found my belief in second chances. If after all I had done I could be forgiven, then anyone could be.” Scanning the faces around her, she stopped now and then to exchange a look with those standing out more than others, be it concerned, angry or jovial ones. ”I know not everyone has forgiven me, and I’m sure you have your reasons. As awful as these three are, and my five former friends,” former friends, words that stung, “I will give them another chance.” She turned to Sweetie Belle. “Some day. When I’m ready to forgive.”

She frowned. “Don’t you dare waste your despicable puny little lives after I’ve saved them,” Sunset said. “Got it?”

The crusaders gave a meek nod. Sunset turned around and headed back to school. Gradually, the crowd followed. The tension had petered out and the will to fight had dissipated. The crusaders managed to get up and struggled to walk back to school.

They had decided to go to the nurse’s office, since she could tend to any scrapes and bruises they’d gotten, and maybe she knew of a way to deal with their hairy situation. The nurse managed to figure out the glue was water based, so a lot of it washed out fairly well. The plucks that remained stuck together she snipped off. It wasn’t pretty. Rarity would dig a grave just so she could spin in it if she’d see her sister as she was now.

All ‘n all they’d missed one entire class from the incident. The rest of the day they’d endured the mockery and laughter at their new looks with mixed feelings. They knew they deserved some retribution, but this didn’t feel right. What good could possibly come of this?

No further troubles took place. They did not encounter or even see their sisters at school that day, be it for the better or the worst. When the time came to remain in detention, they passed the windows looking out to the front of the school. People were waiting for them to come out, for whatever reason. Bad reasons no doubt. They gulped, and were thankful for their detention.

Detention hall, a classroom for those sentenced to detention, was located at the far end of a hallway, near the gymnasium. A few bored and rambunctious looking peers were waiting outside, though they paid no attention to the three little girls approaching.

The door opened up, and a teacher built like a drill sergeant loomed over the lot of them. He instantly seized the undivided attention of the motley crew, and so too of the crusaders. Calmly, sternly, and with a minor boom in his voice, he let the students know today was a gymnasium day. Some students cheered, others sighed and moped.

Detention had been an intense set of grueling and repetitive activities. Everyone would be sore the next day from simply having been pushed to their physical limits. Immediately after detention however, the activity had instead proven to be rejuvenating and energizing. It wasn’t a penalty most looked forward to going through again, yet here the crusaders had another week of equal or worse fates to be doomed to.

Finally, after a refreshing shower that the crusaders had bargained for, they sought out Soft Spot for their last appointment of the day. Walking by the windows to out front again, they saw that all the students who had been waiting for them had left, much to their relief.

The door to Soft Spot’s office was open. The scent of coffee wafted through the air, and Scootaloo could see her desk and some comfy chairs on the soft, warm carpeting inside. From behind her desk, Soft Spot welcomed her three young clients and asked them to make themselves comfortable while she would go and get them some tea. When she came back, she found them all seated around the low coffee table. She settled in on the last available chair.

Scootaloo sat upright, with her knees together and arms crossed. She wasn’t smiling in the least; looking away. Sweetie Belle was looking around the office. From the cheerful wallpaper to the arts and crafts the students had made for her over the years, to the shelves of books behind the desk. All lit by warm light from LED spotlights around the ceiling. There wasn’t a single deep shadow to be found. Leaning back in her chair sat Applebloom in thought, looking out the window with the curtains closed. With her hand she was fiddling with the parts of her hair that had been shortened earlier.

“Welcome, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Applebloom,” Soft Spot began, “I’m happy to have you here today.”

“Thanks, Miss Soft Spot,” Applebloom said, her attention back to the present.

“We appreciate it,” Scootaloo said, looking to her friends.

Soft Spot asked them about their week of suspension and how they’d spent their time. At first came all the surface level whining about how dull it had been, how their room had been cold at times and how there hadn’t been any electricity and such. Then came the anger over Diamond Tiara trying to frame them in the interview. Soft Spot had tuned in she said, though she cleverly kept hidden what she thought of it.

Like with all her students, she wanted to believe them, to have faith in their honesty and innocence. She knew well enough however that she was naive to still hold on to that thought.

The longer the talk lasted, the deeper they touched. On how they had been fighting among themselves, struggling to hold on to their friendship. How Scootaloo had been alone for all that time, feeding the angst of having to face all the horrible situations she thought would occur. Things Sweetie Belle and Applebloom hadn’t yet considered. The tissue box was quick to run out at some point.

Then came their encounter with Diamond Tiara. They recounted how they’d almost brawled with her had it not been for Scootaloo stopping them. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom thanked her once more and apologized for kicking and punching her. Sweetie Belle half jokingly remarked Diamond Tiara would’ve gotten what she deserved however. It saddened Soft Spot to be confronted so often with the fact that every heart of gold is the hoard and home to the dragon inside. So the students who sought her out had revealed this to her, that she had come to believe it.

Finally came this morning. Soft Spot was shocked to learn how much they had been bullied after a week of suspension. It was a failure on her part for not having straightened out her students. She remarked how weird their new hair cuts looked, only to find out why. Her heart skipped a beat.

That hadn’t nearly as surprising as hearing that Sunset, of all people, had stepped in and defused the situation. Then again, she was the only one who really could have the way she had. Soft Spot agreed with Sunset, that her three current clients should forget about revenge. First and foremost because they had spread so much misery in the first place. Some things were simply between Sunset and every other student, things the crusaders could not solve for them.

The discussion between Sweetie Belle and her friends had come up again since Sweetie Belle took Soft Spot to mean she had accused them of being responsible for all of it. Her accusation found no solid ground. They just had to own what they had done, which was plenty awful all on its own.

“You’ve hurt everyone in so many awful ways already,” Soft Spot said. “Even though they didn’t do anything to you or your sisters. Nobody deserved the things you did to them. That’s what I’m talking about. They were just a means to an end in your plan to get your sisters back.” She shook her head. “You all should read your own Anon-a-Miss archive and make things right.”

”Sometimes it wasn’t even really our doing though,” Sweetie Belle said. “That thing with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon was her own fault to begin with. She shouldn’t have lied to her friend and she shouldn’t have been a rotten friend behind her back.”

“You don’t know that, Sweetie Belle,” Soft Spot said. “Diamond Tiara, or any of your other victims in their own situations, may very well have had ideas on how to solve their problems and you could have ruined that opportunity for them.”

“But–”

“You presume too much. You should talk to everyone you’ve hurt just to see how wrong you’ve been, and still are. Can you imagine,” Soft Spot raised her finger, “and I really want you to try and imagine this, that you were about to stop being Anon-a-Miss by coming out about it to your sisters, only for someone else to beat you to it and tell them instead?”

The three gulped.

“You have everything figured out so things will go as smooth as possible. Maybe your sisters will get angry. Maybe they’ll be upset for you for a short while. But you’ll know for sure they’ll forgive you. And that chance was turned into the worst situation by someone else who doesn’t even know you or care about you.”

A pause transpired.

“Really try. Close your eyes if it makes it easier,” Soft Spot said. “I insist you try, and give it your best.” With much reluctance the crusaders complied to her seemingly childish requests. After a little bit of silence, and hands turning into fists along with eyebrows furrowing, Sweetie Belle, Applebloom and Scootaloo opened their eyes again, watery this time.

Sweetie Belle wiped her eyes. “It’s horrible.” She looked queasy.

“Ah’m not sure Ah wanna know what we’ve done,” Applebloom sniffled. “Ah already know it’s bad ‘n Ah feel lahk that’s all Ah need ta know.” She looked to Scootaloo, who had no answers either.

“We should,” Sweetie Belle said in all seriousness. “It’s like Rarity told me: ‘Best to be honest, open, personal and direct and then hope for the best.’”

“That’s quite a mouthful,” said Applebloom.

Soft Spot nodded. “Your sister is very sensible, Sweetie Belle,” she said. “Clear communication is often a good start, though it will definitely help to show the others you come in good faith.”

“It’s how she’ll handle customers if she ever fails to meet a deadline or if they come to return a dress. By the way, has she come by at all?” Sweetie Belle inquired. “Like, by your office?”

“A lot of students have, and most of them appreciate that I don’t tell anyone about their visits.” Soft Spot briefly put her finger to her lips. “If you really want to know, you’ll need to ask her. I’d be surprised if she won’t tell you whether or not she’s been. You know, given the advice she gave you.”

The words of trust and confidence allowed Sweetie Belle a small contagious and hopeful smile.

Scootaloo moved her feet along the carpeting, looking down. She’d get the same answer to her same question about Rainbow Dash. A different angle might work however. “I doubt Rainbow Dash has come by, and frankly I don’t need to know. I just want to know how she’s doing and if she’s alright. You can at least tell us that much, can’t you?”

Soft Spot thought for a moment before answering. “Sunset’s friends haven’t been faring all that well. Who can blame them, really.” Defeat was apparent in her voice. “The only person who at least appears to be doing well enough is Sunset herself. She’s a real fighter. She’s angry and upset, and for now she’s dedicating that energy to her studies. How she’s doing on the inside I wouldn’t dare guess.”

“Should I go talk to her? To Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo asked cautiously. “I’m not sure if I can even face her… She’s not like Rarity or Applejack, and we don’t exactly relate the way Rarity and Sweetie Belle, or Applejack and Applebloom do. I wouldn’t be surprised if I’ve become a complete stranger to her.” I deserve it. She thought to herself.

“I was about to say it wouldn’t hurt to talk,” Soft Spot began, “But I doubt you’d believe me if I said that. I can promise you, talking to her will be for the best. Trust me.”

“How has she been?” Scootaloo wagered.

“I’m sorry Scootaloo,” Soft Spot said, sadness apparent, “you’ll have to ask her yourself. It’s the only way to know for sure.”

Scootaloo sighed.

“I’ll tell you this though,” Soft Spot said. “Every student needs a friend right now. The hallways have been pretty quiet. The cafeteria is either a battleground or a cemetery on the daily. Fights erupt in the hallways, as do breakdowns.” She held her hands up and issued some damage control. ”Don’t get me wrong though, most students behave well enough. It’s just the outbursts that get most of the attention,” She explained. “And those are fairly common among a few small groups.”

The crusaders thought about their day and could only concur, having been shoved around as they have been. They wondered if Sunset’s former group was like that.

“You should all talk to your friends, but make sure they’re listening too. If they don’t want to hear it, let them know you’ll back off, but would appreciate it if you have a chat later. Tell them why you want to talk: because you appreciate their friendship and want to work towards something new and positive.”

“I really really doubt Rainbow Dash will want to talk to me,” Scootaloo said with a sob. “After what she told me last time…. After what I did to her, what I made her do to her friends! After making her life such a mess!” Scootaloo was wiping at her eyes. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom had their hands on her shoulders.

“It’s going to be okay,” Sweetie Belle shushed. “Rarity and Applejack said they’ll come around eventually, and I’m sure they’ll try and talk Rainbow Dash into it.”

“No it’s not…” Scootaloo whimpered. “I know her. She won’t ever forgive herself for this. What chance do any of us stand if she doesn’t? Every time she sees me she’ll be reminded of what she’s done, and what that means to her.”

Soft Spot stepped towards Scootaloo, squatting before her so she could level with her. “Is that how you think she feels, Scootaloo?” The two made eye contact. “Or is it how you feel?”

Scootaloo swallowed.

“If you want things to make sense again, if you want to put those scary ideas to rest, you have to be brave.” Soft Spot smiled. “And let your friends help pull you through and give you courage. Let them encourage you, okay?”

Scootaloo faced down, though she looked at Soft Spot’s face. She gave a little nod, and the worlds quietest “ok”.

Soft Spot turned to the other two girls. “Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, do you think you three can find Rainbow Dash tomorrow? You don’t need to talk things over right then and there, but do let her know you three want to talk, okay?”

“Ah...” Applebloom looked to the other two. Hearing Soft Spot have faith in them helped her tremendously, she realized. If she thinks they can do it, surely they stand a fair chance? After all, she knows what they’re up against. It’s why they’re there. “Ah think we can manage. Sure.” She smiled. “We can try at least.”

“We’ll help you, Scootaloo,” Sweetie Belle said. “Sorry we didn’t really understand where you’re at. At least, I didn’t know you felt that way…”

“It’s okay Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo said gracefully. “I didn’t think things would go as they have, really. I guess I’d hoped Dash would be more like Rarity and Applejack. Maybe I don’t know her as well as I say I do.”

Soft Spot got back into her chair. “I hope it works, so you’ll have a chance to know her even better.”

Scootaloo nodded. “Me too.”

For all the light in the room, in that moment, Sweetie Belle felt her grip slipping on those chains she held for Diamond Tiara. Things would go better for her and her friends. Not tomorrow, not next week, but some day in the foreseeable future, things will get better. These problems, she realized, stood completely separate from the one girl who’d put that flaming cherry on their hell cake. Hope and forgiveness were in the air.

She tightened her fists. How could she? How could they? How could anyone! There was no way she could let go. Forget about revenge? Echoed Soft Spot’s words. Is she daft? Not until the vermin in the sewers would drown in the blood of that high class low life rat would she let go! In every shimmer on every link a glimpse of her holding a dying Sunset flashed before her minds eye.

“Sweetie Belle?” Soft Spot’s voice came. “Sweetie Belle, are you okay?”

Sweetie Belle looked to her friends in the doorway, and the school counselor holding it open for her. Her two friends sharing her curiosity.

“Oh, yeah I’m fine,” she told them. “I just remembered something I’d almost forgotten.” She tapped her head with a finger. “But it’s a mental memo now.” She smiled. A secret locked safe and sound. The past week had made it clear: Scootaloo and Applebloom did not understand her on that visceral level. She had to set this right. You breathe, you eat, you sleep, you scratch that itch, you seek justice and you exact your vengeance.

Comments ( 14 )

IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!


This.... was interesting chapter in the terms of the aftermath of the attempted murder.

Sweetie Belle's gonna do something really stupid and messed up isn't she?:unsuresweetie:

Sweetie Belle! Don’t fuck things up for us!!!

9797087
im glad you learned consctructive criticism since you posted the first comment, good job


ps you sound like a cunt irl

i can only hope whatever the crusaders do to 'fix things' ends up coming back to bite them hard. what they've done is one of those times, those times in life you can't take back, damage you can't fix. this is a scar that won't heal and they need to understand that.

9797134
I've met him IRL, actually! He's a total sweetheart, even if he does wear a silly hat sometimes.

Also, "cunt"? C'mon hon, you can do better than that. Stop relying on pottymouthisms and put a little effort into it! Like, uhh...

Whorl-toothed weenie.

...Yeah, that's it. Get dunked on, nerd.

9797531
why would i put effort if i dont like him that much, thats the point of insults

This was LONG.

Hey all,

I'm glad the latest chapter has gotten some favourable feedback. Part of the reason things took so long is that I've also been working on chapters 12 and 13 since I started those before this chapter. This chapter was injected, as it were.

I really want to thank Csquared08 for providing much needed critical feedback. I've been asking for this for ages and have reached out to other users without much success, so I'm really grateful for his feedback. I knew I was slipping up and yet I did little to combat it. I'll rework this chapter and ask Sadistic Fluttershy to repost so he too can enjoy this chapter. I'm open to all criticism and appreciate his effort to help me. I can't grow if I don't know when I fail.

Next chapter details Sunset's friends and Sunset's visit to Ditzy. The chapter after that is about someone breaking down and messing up pretty bad.

If anyone wants to help out, I welcome the help.

I'll tinker on this chapter to get it fixed before the end of the day (hopefully).

Kind regards,
HB

Oh, and PS. Before you dislike:

If you're someone to leave a dislike, PLEASE let me know why so I can address whatever issues you may have with the chapter if possible. It's fine to dislike what I do. Not complaining. Just want to know where I can improve and deliver work everyone can enjoy.

There's not a lot of dislikes fortunately, but the few there are I'd like to change/improve.

Any news?

I like this story. I hope we see an update in the future.

Too bad this appears to be dead. It was a good story.

You haven't updated since 2019, it's like 2 years moving on to 3 soon. Are ya dead, did you die from COVID-19

Login or register to comment