• Published 22nd Dec 2014
  • 3,482 Views, 96 Comments

My Little Pokemon: Sun and Moon - WezzaHD



In the Equestria Region exists researcher Twilight Sparkle who, after discovering a terrifying legend, must set out to save everyone... And, unfortunately for her, make some friends.

  • ...
13
 96
 3,482

The Rider's Eye

Twilight rubbed her eyes, examining the data again. The redhead had dropped it in her exchange which gave the bookworm a chance to examine it. She couldn’t sleep, so she spent every waking moment looking it over.

Much of it was information most wouldn’t be able to understand but as a would-be researcher she was just starting to grasp it. Though she was quite bitter about being railroaded she supposed in some way it was for the best, helping her to explore the region in a more in-depth manner. However she just kept on getting railroaded. A part of her had wanted to move ahead at multiple points but many of the other girls had had their problems and she stayed quiet, plus Spike could be pretty pushy about this sort of thing so only times like there were when she was able to fully examine data.

A few key words kept showing up. “Sunset”, “evolve”, “shadow”. One she gathered was the name of the redheaded woman that she kept running into. As for the others… from what she could tell there was some sort of formula that could enhance power and aggression within Pokemon. She could see numbers and charts examining different dosages as Pokemon of similar levels were given this formula based on their size and power, all of which ended up being recorded. Different notes hinted at the use of chemicals stimulating growth hormones that tricked a Pokemon’s body into believing it was about to evolve.

It was all interesting, she wished she could send it off but Bouffalant had knocked down satellites in their little rampage and that Rotom had waterlogged all their communication, that only left her in Appleloosa’s small library with a single computer that, while lacked internet, gave her enough to work with. It was annoying that she would have to wait until the next town over to find someone to fix it but they had agreed to give her a paper map, which she supposed would be of help. Waiting to get to the next possible town to send this stuff off wasn’t a problem. It was just annoying. She couldn’t understand the point of all this. There were things she had discovered on this journey, but could have discovered more had she not been tied down by this task of making friends. She could’ve gone to the town sooner, could’ve not been bogged down by so many random whims. Spike seemed to be trying to get her to stick to it like Celestia had given the boy his own little mission, ugh. At least in a place like this she could feel at ea-

“TWILIIIIIIIGHT!”

…Scratch that. Said brother was at the door. She turned to look at the boy, his arms folded.

“How did you know I was here?”

“Yeah how did I know Twilight Sparkle was in a library?” He rolled his eyes. “It’s like you don’t hear yourself sometimes, now come on. Didn’t you wanna fight that gym leader today?”

That was right, much of the repairs had made the place manageable, so now Thunderhooves had enough time to be allowing himself challengers. It was quite surprising, but she supposed some people really could do it all.

“Right, right…” She groaned and sat up. “Lemme just…”

Then dropped right back down. Spike sighed.

“You studied too hard again, didn’t you?”


A few hours after a bit of forced rest from her pushy brother, Twilight was ready to take on the gym. Well, it was that in name only. Thunderhooves liked to move around a lot but always stuck to the same general area of the desert and drylands in the southeast, so she didn’t expect him to have an actual gym to battle with, though this was fine with her. It didn’t matter where the official battle took place so long as it was indeed official. However, it seemed they had designated a special spot for this one.

“We almost thought we couldn’t find you! But I know you’re not the type to chicken out.” Rainbow grinned, though AJ knew that worry laced the athlete’s mind. Thunderlane had left with Rumble not saying a single word to them or anyone. Twilight paid little mind.

“It’s what I came here to do to begin with. While I didn’t expect the… Series of events that occurred in this town I must keep sight of my original purpose: to grow stronger.” The bookworm replied. “Though, none of you need to go out of your way to spectate.”

“Hey now, most of the repairs are done.” Applejack explained. "Besides, I wanna see how my friend and cousin are gonna roughhouse!"

Twilight, walking alongside the other girls, would be following the signs. Eventually they would be taken to the ranch where much of the Rhyhorns were kept. It seemed as though most of those missing had been found, though were being kept in a separate pen to reacclimate. Next to that pen they could see a guy in a hat watching them, not having noticed the girls yet.

Twilight walked over, about to say something when the man spoke.

“Think they’ll be alright?” Braeburn asked.

The bookworm blinked. “Excuse me?”

“They’re gettin’ mighty better those ones. Can probably reintroduce ‘em to the rest today or tomorra. Sure things are better now, but what about in the future? Even if we’ve all got along, made our peace, are we gonna be strong enough? Sometime in the future those guys might come back, and I don’t believe whatever it was they were doin’ is gonna end with us. When that day comes, will we, will I be strong enough?”

Twilight paused. She knew he was right, she just hadn’t expected it.

“Suppose this must not make a lotta sense. Not much we can do but be strong for us, ya know?” He turned to the group, flashing them a smile. “Anyway, if yer here now it’s for a gym battle, right? Come on over.”

He would walk round the ranch and they followed, following him to the farthest pen where zero Pokemon reside.

“So when does Thunderhooves get here?”

“Now what in tarnation does Thunderhooves have to do with this?” Braeburn chuckled, walking to the other side of the pen.

“Well… Doesn’t the gym leader need to be here for the gym battle?” She asked, and Braeburn turned to look at her, a Pokeball in hand, letting Rhydon out.

“Kid, the gym leader’s already here.”

“...Huh?” Twilight blinked.

“If there’s anything anyone’s learned from this it’s that a lot can happen over a few days.” The cowboy waved his hand.

“Dang. Ain’t that a fresh slice of apple pie after a hard day’s night? My own cousin, a gym leader!” AJ grinned. “Ain’t no way Thunderhooves can fail as a leader if he’s already makin’ choices like this.”

Braeburn rubbed his head, chuckling. “Aw shucks, he was lookin’ to pass the job on anyway, and I guess he saw somethin’ in me and let me tell ya I do not make a habit of disappointin’. Besides, his Pokemon ain’t in much of a battlin’ condition.”

“But isn’t your Pokemon, like, super injured too?” Rainbow questioned.

“You’d be surprised. When he first came to me with the offer ya shoulda seen Rhydon. He was more excited than I was.” He chuckled, and the rock-type grinned, slamming its fists together. Indeed, it seemed to have recovered much over the last few days, raring to go. “But hey if yer so sure then it’ll be an easy match, won’t it?”

Twilight nodded, taking a Pokeball out. “Long as I’m fighting a gym leader, I don’t care.”

“Feistier than I took ya for! Let’s get right up to it!”


Twilight stood at her point, looking at the other side of the battlefield that had only earned the ‘battle’ moniker that very day. She didn’t entirely know what to expect, not just because of the unexpected gym leader change but the battlefield. It wasn’t like the fight against Sapphire that had been largely dominated by water, though that didn’t mean it was neutral territory.

The field’s ground was barren both from the unrelenting heat as well as the groups of heavy Rhyhorn that up until that point had been stomping down on it, the only thing that covered it were boulders of varying sizes dotted here and there. While the perimeter of that pen was fenced off, the battlefield itself had fairly large stones encircling it, allowing the ref to stand there while the rest of the girls and Spike watched on their own little benches.

Between the gym leader and the challenger, standing at the edge of the battlefield was a pale, square-shouldered man with grey hair gelled back, a black and white-striped shirt with dark grey trousers.

He would raise his arms and called out: "Three on three! The match between the challenger Twilight Sparkle and the gym leader Braeburn will now begin!"

However, she had seen his signature, so he knew a little about him.

“Come on out, Graveler!” Braeburn threw a ball, his first Pokemon being released onto the field. Before them, stood a large boulder-like Pokemon standing on two stubby legs, a crest standing up above its eyes with four three-fingered arms, two outstretched at its sides and two tucked into its body.

A common Pokemon Twilight noted, before checking the dex.

Graveler: The Rock Pokemon.
It rolls down slopes to move. It rolls over any obstacle without slowing or changing its direction.

Quite a headstrong Pokemon, but maybe she could work around that. She thought for a moment, before throwing her own ball.

“Go, Eevee!” The normal-type’s ears twitched as it looked around before its eyes set on Graveler and backed away slightly. “Come on Eevee, you have to be stronger than this! If we can’t get past this hurdle we’ll never get better. If we can move headfirst then we can win.”

The Pokemon looked to Twilight, before back to Graveler and stood its ground, still shuddering.

“Let the battle begin!” The ref raised his arms, before standing back.

“Swift!” The stars Eevee shot hit Graveler directly, but the boulder grinned through them all.

“Rollout!” Tucking its limbs into itself, Graveler rolled towards Eevee. The normal-type’s attempts to run were futile, getting hit twice by the attack before narrowly dodging the third.

“Phew.” Twilight sighed. “Quick Attack!”

Eevee’s own speed increased as it dashed towards the rock Pokemon, moving even faster than the boulder had a moment ago. Braeburn, however, was ready.

“Rock Tomb.” As Eevee ran, a large stone crashed in front of it making it dart around, but was soon surrounded like the tomb the attack was named after. Twilight saw a stone heading straight for it, and yelled.

“Dig!” The stone crashed right where Eevee had been, but the normal-type was burrowing underground at a rapid rate towards Graveler. Twilight smiled, but so did Braeburn.

"Y'all think that that will keep Eevee safe? Magnitude!" With a stomp, the arena began to shake with such force even the audience felt it, so of course Eevee would feel it directly. Braeburn and Graveler noticed the small mound a few feet away from the rock-type, already preparing their next move until Twilight called her’s.

“Double Team!” When the hole burst open dozens of Eevees leapt out everywhere, leaving both leader and Pokemon flummoxed, but instead of trying to gauge which was the real one Braeburn had a better idea.

“Rock Tomb!” Those summoned stones fell from the sky, hitting each and every Eevee before they reached Graveler, but when the last one faded the gym leader was confused. The battlefield was empty. The rock-type looked around before seeing another small mound build up below it, and before it knew it, the Dig landed as Eevee burst up and attacked.

“Rollout!” Instead of falling, Graveler countered, rolling into Eevee knocking it even farther.

“Get away and use Dig!”

“Like we’d let ya!” The rock-type broke through a stone Eevee had hid behind, but it was too late, the hole had already been made. Graveler stood up, looking around trying to prepare.

“Come up even further!” This surprised both the gym leader and his Pokemon, while Eevee came out half a field away. “Now Quick Attack on the rocks!”

Eevee jumped from stone to stone, outrunning the Rock Tomb crashing down the normal/ ground combo slammed into a shocked Graveler, but wide eyes gave way to a grin.

“Seismic Toss!” It grabbed Eevee and leapt into the air higher than should’ve been possible while the Evolution Pokemon was trying to break free. Soon the rock-type stopped, only to fall at over twice the speed. Nearly at the earth, the hand that held Eevee stretched out to throw.

“SWIFT!” Twilight yelled the attack and before it could be thrown, Eevee shot those stars straight into Graveler’s eyes, making its grip loosen and before it could brace itself, the two crashed into the ground sending sand everywhere. When the dust cleared, a sandy Eevee stood tall, panting while Graveler lay face-first and unmoving.

“Graveler is unable to battle, Eevee is the winner!”

A relieved Twilight sighed as Eevee bounced back over to its trainer with a smile. The bookworm fed it an Oran Berry to help.

“Stay sharp. I’ll need you later.” The normal-type was returned.

“Dang…” Braeburn returned the rock Pokemon, but grinned. “Ya beat Graveler, but we’ll see how ya handle my next Pokemon!” He threw his next ball, and what burst out towered over them. A large snake-like creature with a body made of stones stared down, and a flash of worry went through Twilight’s head. She knew that Onix were big but seeing one in person was something else.

“Go, Ralts!” She sent out her fairy-type.

“Rock Tomb!” Braeburn took the lead, and those stones crashed into Ralts quickly burying it.

“Disarming Voice!” Noise erupted from the rock pile before breaking apart as the psychic’s sound broke it free. “Now Magical Leaf!”

Leaves lifted themselves around Ralts with an invisible force shot at Onix’s face, nearly costing the snake its balance.

“Not bad, but how about an Iron Tail!”

“Dodge, quick!” Ralts barely managed to dodge the glowing silver tail swung its way.

“Y’all won’t be able to dodge soon! Rock Polish!” Onix’s body flowed and shone.

“Magical Leaf!”

“Iron Tail!”

As Ralts readied the leaves to shoot, the snake’s tail moved quicker and struck the psychic cutting off its attack and sending it flying. Ralts hit a boulder, but Onix was already slithering its way.

“Stop it with Confusion!” As Onix went in for another Iron Tail, it felt a force holding it back. Both Pokemon struggled to overpower each other. Eventually, Onix’s steel attack sent Ralts flying, following close behind.

“Quick, Magical Leaf!” Ralts shot the leaves midair, hitting the snake’s face just in time. “This is pointless… Return!”

Just before Onix launched its attack, Ralts was sucked back into the ball where Twilight called her next Pokemon. “Go, Exeggcute!”

The cluster of eggs bounced around as it was summoned. She was hoping to save Exeggcute for the last opponent but the fairy’s weakness left her no choice.

“Fine. Rock Tomb!”

The stones crashed into Exeggcute, making it wince.

“Absorb!” Through the cracks a beam shot out, hitting Onix and draining it, partially recovering Exeggcute.

“Iron Tail!” With its speed, that tail whipped through the stones and sent Exeggcute flying.

“Stun Spore!” However, Exeggcute’s skybound position allowed those yellow spores to spread across the battlefield, and it didn’t matter how fast Onix was, the sparks of paralysis travelled along its stony body.

“Why you little… Fine, if ya think Onix needs to be mobile ya got another thing comin’. Dragon Breath!” In revenge Onix shot a blast of draconic energy at Exeggcute, who was frantically hopping away from the attack.

“Leech Seed!” Right before it was hit, the grass-type shot those seeds that upon impact, grew into vines loosely hanging around the snake’s body, draining it even further.

“Argh… Rock Tomb!”

“Reflect!” As the rocks crashed down, they hit a translucent barrier reducing the damage.

“Dragon Breath!” Exeggcute had to leap around to avoid the special attack that Reflect couldn’t protect from, each dodge sapping more of Onix’s health, and with its sluggish movements Exeggcute got right underneath the stone serpent’s head.

“Absorb!” The attack struck and the snake’s eyes widened. Exeggcute got out the way just in time for the rock-type to crash to the ground.

"Onix is unable to battle, Hoothoot is the winner!" The ref called it.

“Oh yeah, that’s what I’m talking about!” Rainbow pumped her fist.

Applejack watched and sighed. “My cousin’s not havin’ a great time right now.”

“Uh, duh! He’s losing!”

“Why, he’s simply not used to his new look.” Rarity chimed in.

“Huh? Isn’t he wearing the same stupid outfit when we first saw him? That’s not even a problem.” Rainbow proclaimed. Rarity scooched a few inches away from the athlete.

“Those Pokemon… Um, I think they might be new…” Fluttershy muttered. Applejack sighed.

“Well that’d make sense. Long as I can remember, cousin Braeburn always had a knack for Rhyhorn ridin’. He barely looked the way of other Pokemon. I doubt he expected to land in this position, and with Pokemon he’s had for a few days. It ain’t a great day to be him.”

“Well jeez, that sucks, but it makes sense. Losing is, like, half a gym leader’s job.” Rainbow stretched her arms.

“Hey, now… I wouldn’t count my cousin out just yet.”

Braeburn stood there with his mouth agape, and began to look really worried, before shaking it off and reminding himself that he hadn't lost just yet; he still had one last Pokemon.

"Go, Rhydon!" Braeburn sent out the ground- type, and it let out a great roar.

“Let’s bring this home, Exeggcute.” Twilight said, and the grass-type jumped in agreement. Because of all the absorbing attacks, Exeggcute was nearly full-strength. While Rhydon was strong, it had evolved before it was ready, meaning it wasn’t as strong as most Rhydon, which meant she could beat it. “Leech Seed!”

“Rock Tomb.” The seeds never reached the rhino, buried beneath the stones.

“Now Hammer Arm!” It leapt forward, its hand swinging into Exeggcute and knocking it to the other side of the field.

“From just that… Twilight muttered, before shaking her head. “Absorb!”

Exeggcute shot the beam, trying to refill itself but Braeburn grinned.

“Megahorn.” He ordered and ducked down, Rhydon doing the same as it bounded forward, avoiding any boulders and slamming its glowing horn against Exeggcute, knocking it up into the sky. When it finally hit the ground, it didn’t move.

“Exeggcute is unable to battle. Rhydon is the winner!”

“Whoa…” Rainbow stared in awe, definitely impressed. “Talk about quick…”

"Don't worry, Twilight still has two Pokemon left." Spike replied confidently.

"'Chic." Torchic chirped as it stared up at him.

Twilight herself was annoyed. It was faster than she thought, even seeming faster than the Rock Polished Onix. Megahorn was annoying, but she could think of something where speed didn’t matter.

“Now go, Eevee!” After returning the grass-type, she threw a ball and the Evolution Pokemon stood tall, more confident than before. “Use Dig!”

Eevee quickly burrowed underground, impossible to tell where it would come from, but Rhydon and Braeburn were both silent, until an attack was called.

“Hammer Arm on the ground.” The rock-type raised its arm high, and smashed the ground in front of it. Dirt and rocks flew from the force, exposing Eevee and its tunnel, both it and Twilight shocked. “Again!”

A direct hit left Eevee crying in pain.

“Uh, Swift!” The normal-type obeyed, but Rhydon gave no indication the stars did any damage.

“Drill Run.” Rhydon spun its body like a drill, ramming into and sending Eevee spinning through the air. “Now Megahorn!”

Twilight watched the rhino bound towards Eevee. “Dig to avoid it!”

Eevee barely managed to avoid the glowing horn, burrowing once more.

“Ain’t ya learned a thing? Hammer Arm!”

“Quick Attack!” Eevee leapt out surprisingly quickly, before Rhydon’s arm could touch the ground, Eevee shot out with its combo move again, but Braeburn grinned.

“Up!” Braeburn swung his hand in the air. Rhydon’s glowing arm similarly changed course in the opposite direction and intercepted Eevee, flinging it up before Braeburn crouched, putting both his hands out in front of him. Rhydon looked up at Eevee, going on all fours and rearing its body. Even Swifts would not faze it, staying still right until the normal-type was in range.

“Megahorn!” Braeburn and Rhydon both leapt up, and Eevee collided with that powerful attack. Thrown across the field, it landed against a stone with spirals in its eyes.

"Eevee is unable to battle, Rhydon is the winner!" Everyone was in awe at what had just happened. Twilight, with the advantage, now had one Pokemon left before they knew it.

“Woowee! That’s how an Apple does it!” Braeburn cheered, both he and Rhydon raising their fists.

Twilight was sweating. All of her previously-working strategies had gone to a grinding halt. Even if Exeggcute lost she’d been counting on Eevee to make up the difference. Reflect was still active, but even that hadn’t helped as much as she thought. A prematurely-evolved Rhydon was still strong, but this was only half of the explanation. Twilight hadn’t accounted for the sheer precision such a bulky Pokemon could present. She could understand it from the speedy serpentine Onix at least, yet the broader slower Rhydon seemed quicker somehow. She couldn’t understand how this wide-bodied rhino could be so maneuverable.

She returned Eevee and stared at her final ball. She hadn’t wanted it to come to this, the psychic-type had been even weaker than she thought, but now… Well, she had to take this chance. She couldn’t afford to surrender.

“Go, Ralts!” Twilight threw the ball and once it was sent out, the two opposing Pokemon stared at each other, things seeming to slow down.

“It ain’t right.” AJ piped up, and Rainbow blinked.

“Huh?”

“Ya called Rhydon quick earlier Rainbow, but it ain’t quite right. Braeburn’s done been personally trainin’ his partner not for battle, but ridin’. It’s just like knowin’ the best way to strike a tree and make them apples fall down. If it didn’t know the best way to run, to move and use its heavy body, then my cousin wouldn’t be callin’ himself a rider.”

“Megahorn!” Trainer and Pokemon leaned forward as Rhydon charged.

“Double Team!” The behemoth struck an illusion, the copies surrounding the rock-type.

"Ya think that'll work again? Rock Tomb!" The field was once again bombarded with falling stones, landing on the copies until the real Ralts was revealed.

"Now Drill Run!"

"Disarming Voice!" The sound waves did nothing to stop Rhydon as it shot towards Ralts undeterred, blasting the psychic into the air, where it was more vulnerable. Reflect was still active but Twilight couldn’t let her Pokemon be a sitting duck. “Quick, Magical Leaf!”

“Hammer Arm!” Braeburn’s arm made a sweeping motion, and as Rhydon did the same it managed to knock the leaves away before slamming those arms onto the ground, pushing off them and charging at Ralts who frantically kept summoning the undodgeable leaves, but Rhydon’s horn was beginning to glow, deflecting each and every projectile.

“Megahorn!”

Braeburn and Rhydon alike leapt up, the latter striking its opponent directly. The Drill Pokemon landed, while Ralts crashed onto its back.

Rarity gasped, almost wanting to look away. Spike was quite worried, too, but none were so stunned as Twilight herself.

“Ralts is unable to-”

“Wait…!” Fluttershy, who had previously been covering her eyes, tried to speak up, pointing at the battlefield.

“Look!” Rainbow spoke a little louder, and they glanced to the battlefield.

“Ralts, are you…” Her Pokemon was trying to get up while Rhydon stood waiting. It seemed like it was going to stand… Only to fall back to the ground.

The ref got ready to call the match when the pained groans of the psychic-type sounded out. It tried once more to stand up. However, this didn’t make Twilight hopeful, only wondering: “Why?”

Even if Ralts stood up, so what? It didn’t change that Twilight had no answer for this. The two moved like they were in sync, she could almost see Braeburn right on Rhydon’s back. She hadn’t realised the biggest threat wasn’t the rhino’s fearsome might but its trainer’s ability to make use of it. Braeburn was adept at handling large, heavy Pokemon. He could imagine himself on their backs and figure out the best moves. Even with Pokemon he wasn’t yet used to, had had her on the ropes. He had a rider’s eye.

This was a mistake. Even with an advantageous move she should’ve gone with Hoothoot.

“Ralts… Just stop. You’re not strong enough, I shouldn’t have put you through this. There’s always next time.” Twilight spoke with a pained expression, before looking at Braeburn and holding a small white towel, throwing it into the air. “I forfei…”

She stopped as she saw that the towel did not land on the ground but instead floated in the air, and back to her hand. Her eyes widened as she looked at Ralts; with a blue light coming from underneath its hair and Twilight could see a glimpse of its eyes, staring back at her. Slowly but surely, it got back up and stood proud and upright and let out a small battle cry.

“Ralts, what are…” Twilight trailed off, amazed at her Pokemons hope which she soon found flowing inside of herself. Her own perceptions seemed to matter very little. What mattered was the here and now, the understanding the two shared that, even if they could try again, even if this loss was of little consequence, they both had the simple unexplainable need that it wouldn’t end like this. “You’re right… Yeah, let’s play this one out. You ready?”

Suddenly, another blue light began to emanate from Ralts, but this time it covered the psychic- types entire body. This second surprise almost made Twilight cover her eyes from the light, but she could still stared, as did everyone else.

Ralts grew taller, its limbs longer until finally the light vanished, and what was left in the place of Ralts was a new Pokemon. Instead of its hair covering the upper part of its head, it showed more of its face and grew more on the sides. What was once a gown was now an elegant ballet dress. The horn that used to stand in the centre of Ralt's head had split in two, and there was one on both sides. It looked back with a smile, snapping Twilight out of her stupor and pulling out her Pokedex.

Kirlia: The Emotion Pokemon.
The cheerful spirit of its Trainer gives it energy for its psychokinetic power. It spins and dances when happy.

“So is there still a battle?” Braeburn grinned. Twilight grinned right back.

“You bet there is! Kirlia, Disarming Voice!” Kirlia’s scream was stronger this time, making Rhydon actually have to defend itself.

"Hammer Arm!" Rhydon attempted to hit Kirlia, but it gracefully dodged everytime, except one, making it stumble. The psychic had still taken so much damage, Reflect petering out.

"Now Megahorn!" While Kirlia was still close, Rhydon charged with its shining horn, but the small Pokemon jumped straight on its back and an towards its face, where it gave Rhydon a peck on the cheek causing the rock- type to go completely red in the face while Kirlia jumped back, energy going into the psychic.

“That move… I think it was Draining Kiss.” Twilight muttered. Rhydon reared on all fours.

“Drill Run!” Braeburn leaned forward as Rhydon flung itself spinning towards Kirlia.

“Confusion to the left!” Kirlia couldn’t stop the rhino’s charge, instead using its psychic force to redirect it, sending it crashing.

“Rock Tomb!” Still tired from the force, Kirlia got buried beneath the stones, while Rhydon stumbled up.

“Draining Kiss!” Kirlia leapt up and gave Rhydon another peck, recovering further.

“Keep it goin’!” Rhydon repeated the attack, hoping to overwhelm the psychic.

"Jump on the rocks!" As the rocks began to fall, Kirlia leapt on them getting higher and higher until it was above Rhydon. “Now Magical Leaf!”

Those ethereal leaves rained down on the rock-type, making it almost fall, but just as Braeburn got worried they made eye contact, and grinned at each other, Rhydon rearing back as Kirlia fell.

“Megahorn!”

“Confusion!”

Rhydon almost hit Kirlia, but discarded stones and leaves were levitated up, shooting towards the rhino’s face, providing a cover that threw it off and allowed Kirlia to land on its head.

“Now Magical Leaf!” Both the leaves in the debris and newly-summoned leaves shot from every direction in an onslaught. In a roar, Rhydon attempted the final Megahorn just as its eyes were struck by the leaves, and both Pokemon landed, panting. They were unmoving for a moment, then a large crash could be heard. The rhino had fainted.

"Rhydon is unable to battle, Kirlia is the winner! The winner is Twilight Sparkle!" Everyone cheered at the seats.

"Congrats, Twilight!" Spike said.

"Ya see? Anyone Rainbow Dash approves of never loses!" Rainbow congratulated.

Twilight smiled, walking over to Kirlia and picking it up. “Kirlia won. That’s who I owe this victory to.”

The tired fairy raised its arms, its trainer feeling oddly gratified by this whole thing. Was it possible a part of her… enjoyed that? It didn’t just feel like a simple trial to her. Meanwhile, Braeburn walked over to his own Pokemon on the battlefield. He put his hand on Rhydons back for a moment, before returning it to its Pokeball.

"Ya put up a great fight." He turned to Twilight and Kirlia. "And so did both of you. Thanks for the fight, and ah proudly award ya with the very first Land Badge."

Twilight took the green and brown badge with a satisfied smile, putting it in her case as the group cheered.


Twilight sighed as she walked back to her room. Today was definitely an event for her. After the gym battle and subsequent Pokemon Centre visit, the group had dragged her to another celebration in the town, where she had stayed for hours both on the benches and pulled into certain activities, even showing off her impressive dance moves, seeing the stunned expressions of everyone that was most certainly amazement. Eventually, though, evening had turned to night and though she indulged the party, she’d had all she could take, rubbing her head and pulling Spike with her before he embarrassed himself trying to impress Rarity in an apple pie eating contest, not that she understood what was so impressive about gorging one’s self with pies but it didn’t matter, she got to her room and opened the door, except it was already open.

Twilight’s eyes shot up as she looked around. Nobody was there, but there was also a notable nothing: every note and document she stole was gone. She looked around for any trace of it, tearing through her bag, the beds under the pillows and mattresses.

“What are you waiting for, Spike? We need to get looking!” She yelled.

“Uhh, Twilight?” Spike spoke up.

“What, do you see them? Do you see something, anything??” Twi was getting frantic, grabbing him by the shoulders, but he just pointed at the window. Twilight peered out of it, and managed to get a glimpse of a hooded figure turning a corner.

She stared for only a moment, before bolting back downstairs and out the door. Spike was insisting they call the others, but Twilight couldn’t let this chance up. She just managed to catch them at the edge of town, about to walk away.

“Hey!” Upon Twilight’s yell, the figure stopped. “You’ve nearly destroyed this town and everyone near it. What more could you want from here? Isn’t it enough for you?”

“I have no idea what you mean.” Sunset’s voice spoke, the redhead turning around and looking at Twilight with a bored expression. “I’m the one recovering my own research. I guess the golden girl really does have to have everything.”

“This ends here, Sunset.”

The redhead snickered. “Oh, okay! Then by all means, little princess. Close that last page.”

Twilight and Sunset both threw Pokeballs. Twilight summoned Kirlia, Sunset got Rotom out. Still in that washing machine form, the electric-type hopped in place.

“Magical Leaf!”

The emotion Pokemon summoned the leaves, shooting them straight for Rotom.

“Ominous Wind.” That gust of black wind blew the leaves and Kirlia back in a gust so strong Twilight’s own vision was blocked, seeing only blackness, not even her own hands visible and making her cry out and suddenly, it stopped. She looked around for Kirlia trying to find it, glancing to Sunset, who was pointing right behind Twi. She turned, seeing Kirlia slammed against a wall.

“Perhaps this was too much for you.” Sunset returned Rotom with a smirk. “Let me get something a bit more your size.”

She pulled out another Pokeball, summoning a cyan Pokemon with scrunched eyes and a pointed mouth, its expression kinda dopey. It stood on four stubby legs and behind it, Twilight could see a tail with odd markings that resembled eyes.

“Woooobbuffet!” The balloon-like Pokemon said. Twilight scowled.

“Disarming Voice!” Kirlia stood up, letting the strongest scream it had, the soundwaves shooting towards the strange blue Pokemon.

“Mirror Coat.” What happened next was a blur. Twilight only barely got out the way. Those pink soundwaves were shot right back, nearly hitting her but definitely knocking out Kirlia.

“...What?” Twilight’s eyes widened.

“I can’t understand it, you know. You too studied under her, but this is what you care about. All those advancements and progress stomped out, and for what? Loud noise? A slice of apple pie?”

The purple-haired girl scowled, sending three Pokeballs out. Hoothoot, Exeggcute, Eevee stood there surrounding the Wobbuffet but each attack she called ended the same, bouncing off the dopey Pokemon like it was made of rubber. “Swift, Confusion, Absorb!”

“Spinning Mirror Coat.” Wobbuffet turned like a spinning top, turning the attacks onto different Pokemon, everything but the target was hit. What was more, it had locked each Pokemon into their moves with Encore, able to do nothing but fire off the same worthless attacks. Twilight was wracking her brain for something, anything to do to try and get her leads back before looking at her last Pokeball, Gengar. Sunset grinned.

“What, did you think we were equals? That someone like me would be on the same level as a loser like you? Call out that ghost or don’t, it doesn’t matter how strong your Pokemon are, when the problem is you.”

“What?”

“When the lands across the world began to be taken over by humans, there were Pokemon that couldn’t accept it, so people made these trials, these gym battles letting trainers prove themselves, to show that you can put your trust in a strong leader. When the trainer is weak, the whole team suffers.”

“That… That’s not true. I’m getting stronger, I-”

“Even if that was true, I’ve made stronger Pokemon in a much shorter time. If we had the chance, Rhydon could’ve completed its transformation into a Shadow! But it’s fine, there’ll be countless others like it. Can you imagine?.”

“You… You won’t get far. The others will–”

“And there it is! You see, that’s exactly the problem. In this world we learn how to be strong, make strength for ourselves, but you? An excuse for a trainer who requires others to make up for their own failures. Where are these fabled friends you need, hm? Partying, eating? Worse than you. We both know they wouldn’t even hear your screams over the good time they’re having.”

“Leave her alone!” A voice yelled. Sunset and Twilight turned to see Spike there, Torchic on his shoulder. The redhead could only snicker.

“Aww, you need this baby boy to protect you? How sweet.” As Spike called an Ember, Wobbuffet darted in front and deflected it right back, knocking Pokemon and trainer away.

“Spike!” Twilight yelled, before glaring at Sunset. “Don’t touch my brother!”

“Why not? What could you do about it, write a report? I mean, look at yourself, a naive girl out of her depth. You’re the furthest thing from reliable! If I hurt him right now…” She summoned Luxray from her ball. “You’d just watch like a good little girl.”

“So why don’t I…” Sunset got out another ball, before stopping. “What do you want? … What, now? … Are you serious? … Ugh, fine.”

She turned back to Twilight, a grin.

“Well, I’m not a monster. In fact, you want to study us so much that one is all yours. I’ve got to go.”

Twilight stormed over to Sunset, her fists clenched, not sure what she was going to do but knew she had to do something.

“You’re not going anywh-” The bookworm’s eyes widened. She froze, unable to move a step closer to the redhead who just watched amused before climbing atop the cat.

“Heh, I guess it really doesn’t matter, but still… I’d hate to have someone as weak as you as my sister.”

Like that, Sunset rode off on Luxray. Twilight stood there for a moment before staring at Spike. She felt so unbelievably worthless right now, barely even a challenge for the balloon. What would be the use of calling Gengar out? That Pokemon barely even listened to her as is. That ghost like everything else in this region, a power she was too weak to control, but she knew she didn’t have to stay that way.


“Hoo-wee! That right there might be the most fun I’ve had since we left home!”

“I’ll say! Or I would if you left me any of that cider!” Rainbow grumbled, slouching in a chair.

“Hey now! It was Strongheart who dared Pinkie to drink so much, now me. How ya doin’ anyway, Pink?”

“Heeheehee, apples…” The pinkette was still dizzy, all of them reminiscing about the night and how everything in this town felt ok, but they would keep going on their journey, travelling through the region. Right now they were sitting in the lobby area where the receptionist sat quietly. They were just waiting for two people.

“Where’s Twilight?” Fluttershy muttered, the lobby quiet enough for everyone to hear her.

“Indeed, her and Spikey are normally so punctual.” Rarity commented. “Perhaps we should check on them?”

Finally the receptionist piped up. “Twilight? She and her brother left hours ago. Handed in her key and everything.”

They all stared, shocked.

“...You serious?” Applejack asked, and the receptionist shrugged.

“Sure as can be. Was here right at the start of my shift. Seemed in a hurry. Oh uh, I think she left yous guys something.” She handed them a note, all five girls walking up and reading it, concern written on all their faces. None of them would know where Twilight was, or what had happened. She and Spike now walked alone through the forest and swamps, sure that the choice she made was right, for the good of the region.


“Did you really need me right this second?”

“Don’t be such a fuddy duddy, Sunset. You of all people should know this. Gathering not just numbers, but powerful ones and developing heavy hitters within small timeframes will make things way more fun!” A whimsically amused voice chuckled.

Sunset groaned, clinging to Luxray as it bounded already far from Appleloosa.

“If that’s all, then it’s no matter. I even passed through there myself.” A devious and distinctly feminine voice piped up.

“I appreciate it but i would prefer–”

“Uncover all the secrets of the Shadow Pokemon first, then look towards your preferences.” A gruff voice piped up.

“He’s right. A few brats messed around, that’s all. I’ll have my men deal with them.” The feminine voice added.

“You’re not taking this seriously enough. They’ve already interfered with two, they tell more people it will be a problem for us.”

“Now now dear, I am taking you seriously. In fact, I’ll even send my best to deal with it. You should only be worrying your pretty little head with those experiments of yours. Your work and understanding will be the key, after all, to overtaking this region. So get it done quickly.”

The line switched off. Sunset scowled, knowing exactly who they’d send but could do nothing about it, just head to the next research centre.

Author's Note:

Whew! Managed to get this one out just in time! Hope you liked this one and hope it was an improvement over the last gym battle! I guess it's the end of an arc. Dunno when I'll jump back into it but I will, I hope you've enjoyed what's happened and I hope you enjoy what will come!

Happy New Year!

Twilight’s Pokemon:
Hoothoot
Moves: Peck, Foresight, Reflect and Confusion
Gengar
Moves: Shadow Ball, Confuse Ray, Poison Jab and Shadow Punch
Eevee
Moves: Tackle, Quick Attack, Swift and Tail Whip
Kirlia
Moves: Confusion, Draining Kiss, Disarming Voice and Magical Leaf.
Exeggcute
Moves: Reflect, Stun Spore, Absorb and Leech Seed

Braeburn's Pokemon:
Graveler
Moves: Rollout, Rock Tomb, Magnitude and Seismic Toss
Onix
Moves: Rock Tomb, Iron Tail, Rock Polish and Dragon Breath
Rhydon
Moves: Hammer Arm, Drill Run, Megahorn and Rock Tomb

Sunset's Pokemon:
Baltoy
Moves: Earth Power, Ice Beam and Psybeam.
Gliscor
Moves: Fire Fang, Poison Jab, Acrobatics and Night Slash.
Luxray
Moves: Thundershock, Iron Tail, Spark, Bite
Rotom (wash)
Moves: Hydro Pump, Thundershock, Ominous Wind and Thunder Wave.

Other:
Wobbuffet
Moves: Encore, Counter, Mirror Coat and Destiny Bond

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment