• Published 6th Mar 2015
  • 3,018 Views, 27 Comments

Rarity's Tuxedo - naikichangeling



Rarity decides to reveal that he is a trans male.

  • ...
12
 27
 3,018

III

Burning bright, the sun threatens to boil me in my own sweat as I walk to the castle. Is it too much to ask for some clouds, for a change? I have left behind the cloak, wearing the tuxedo in its place, and ponies look at me as I walk through the streets of Ponyville. Do they look in shock as they see Rarity, the most feminine mare in town, walk around with an stallion's mane cut and dressed to fit? If only they knew... It doesn't matter. Look upon me, I say. Like a butterfly, I have shed my cocoon and become my true self, and the only thing left is letting the truth be revealed to those that matter to me.

I look at the horizon, the castle still a rather long distance away, and I walk.


I look on the golden doors of the castle. This is it. There is no turning back now. I knock on the door with my hoof two times, managing to stop myself before I accidentally hit Pinkie Pie when she opens the door.

"He- Holy moly! What happened to your mane, Rarity? Why are you wearing a tuxedo?"

"Change, darling. Change happened."

"...You did this? On purpose?"

"Yes."

"Why? I mean, it doesn't look bad, but, no offense, Rarity... But you kinda look like a stallion."

I look into her eyes, and smile, and as I see her pupils widen into normality, she smiles back at me.

"I don't know what's happening, but, right now, when I saw you smile, I knew that, somehow, I made you happy."

"You can't imagine how much right now, Pinkie. Come, and I shall let you know."

She turns around, and, as I walk behind her, I feel a tear roll down my cheek. As we reach the doors of the throne room, she turns around,and sees the tear in my face.

"Rarity, why are you crying?"

Unlike the last time somepony asked me that, I can answer that question now.

"Joy, Pinkie." I answer, as I push the doors open.

“Are you okay, Rarity?! What the hell happened?!” I hear a voice say. I look at them, all six of them, their faces contorted in confusion. Of all that were there, I expected Spike would be the most shaken, and I was correct. “Did you get mugged on the way here?! Why… why are you dressed like that?”

“I have something to tell you. I am not the pony you think I am.”


I always felt like something was odd, like I was putting on an act. Ever since that day, when I was a filly, and I saw it. On a ponyquin, displayed on a window for the world to see, was a tuxedo. Black satin shone in the shimmering sunlight, contrasted by a white shirt, with a red bowtie on the neck. I didn’t know how this things were called back then, I only knew that I wanted them. They were made for me to be clad on. I was in Manehatten with my parents, and they had told me that they were going to buy me one thing and one thing only.

“Mom, that… dress! I want it! I want that dress!”

“Rarity, dear, that’s not a dress. It’s a tuxedo. That’s for colts to wear.”

“I don’t care! I want that tuxedo, mom! I want it! IwantitIwantitIwantit!”

“You can’t, darling. You’re a filly. Filly’s don’t wear tuxedos. That’s how the world works. Choose something else. Something that is for fillies.”

That day I learned what the world wanted me to be. I was meant to be a mare, to be an image of femininity for the world to praise. But I always felt cracked on the inside, like a wind-up toy whose mechanism lacked teeth in the gears. No one knew how I felt, trapped like a butterfly inside a cocoon of iron, unable to break free.

My femininity was a sham. The only thing that was real was my interest in fashion. It was always an exaggeration, a caricature of a mare, tailor-made to fool the world into thinking I was normal. And most of all, I tried to fool myself. And I was almost successful most of the time.

But the doubt was always there, eating away at me constantly, until I couldn’t hold myself together anymore. That’s when I finally realized what I was, when the iron rusted away and I could finally spread my wings and show the world my true self.

Yesterday, that’s when it happened. I am a stallion. I made this tuxedo, I finally have it. I finally have become what I always meant to be, and may the world be damned if they do not want me anymore. I don’t care for their appreciation anymore.

And so, here we are.

You are the only people whose opinions matter. So I must ask you:

Can you still be my friends, now that you have seen me as I am?


"You wound us." Twilight said, her face in an expression of disbelief. "I can't believe the thought would cross through your mind."

Through the deafening silence, I can only hear my own heartbeat. All faces are turned to Twilight Sparkle's, jaws dropping in disbelief. Not even I expected that.

"I see." I hear myself speak. I turn around, and walk to the doors. But as my hoof is centimeters away from the door, I hear Twilight say:

"How could you believe that we would ever think differently about you, just because of that?"

I look back at her, and she looks at me with a warm smile. I feel a tear run down my face, and I run to hug her. As I hold her, I feel the hooves of my friends surrounding me. It didn't matter to them. It never would have mattered. I look at Twilight and say:

"But why did you have to make me walk to the doors before saying that you wouldn't change?"

"Well... You are a rather melodramatic pony, Rarity. I felt it would be appropriate. You did make the tux before coming out. I'm sorry if I hurt you."

"It's alright, Twilight. There is nothing to forgive. You support me, and that is all that matters."

Surrounded by my friends, I know that nothing could hurt me now. I don't know what the future keeps for me, but I know that I am ready. Because now I know that, no matter what, there will be somepony to watch my back.

I'm not alone anymore.














"Wait, Rarity. Didn't you have to go to a fashion show in Canterlot?"

Author's Note:

I actually finished a story. For the first time in three years I've been in this site, I finished a story. Granted, it took me 8 months, and I only wrote like 3500ish words, but still, I am proud of this.

I really hope you enjoyed this story. Thank you all.

Comments ( 14 )

Mm. Short and simple, which is a bit of a weakness here but also pretty good.

Rarity's reasons are sound, acting like a fancy mare to fool himself into thinking he was one. Fake it till you make it, if you will.

That being said, this was really short and kind of watered down. We don't really get much input from the others besides the "oh but you're still our friend!" part. Which is nice! And no drama or angst, which is cool! But they don't seem to be individuals, and the scene isn't anything special.

All in all though, one of my favorite stories. Certainly worth the read, upvote, and bookshelf. And congrats on finishing it! I certainly enjoyed it.

I rate this a 4 out 5. It lost a point for being too short and lacking in external response (i.e. His friends gave too simple a reaction). Other than that, it's a really good story, well done :)

6574328 Well, I am working on a sequel, but from Spike's POV. It's probably gonna be as short as this one, though.

6574361 I'll be looking forward to it :twilightsheepish:

This is a cute and sweet story but it could be better.
The main problem is it's too long for the amount of conflict it containts. Rarity get's reassured too quickly and too often.
Ways to make it better(not that I expect you to since this finished but for future stories):
Remove Luna from Chapter 1 and let Rarity keep her fear thought out the story.
Shorten it(i.e. Remove almost every actual(non-dream) pony) and converted to a short think piece.
Add more confusion from her friends(trans isn't well known in the real world, there no reason it be well know in Equestria) and let Rarity react from her fears.
Show more(every time Rarity tells a real pony you when into telling rather than showing)
Focus more on the week or months leading up to this went Rarity was fighting with herself over weather this 'really' is the right thing to do.

Of course all these suggestions wouldn't work together but they give you idea of what could've made this better.

Congrats in finishing your first story. Now the key is to not stop writing.

Good story. An interesting take on Rarity's character.

Look upon me, I say. Like a butterfly, I have shed my cocoon and become my true self, and the only thing left is letting the truth be revealed to those that matter to me.

Yup, he's still Rarity, glad that hasn't changed.

Gender isn't as important as personality, and Rarity is and should always be THE drama queen.

Well the end was kind of cringy:twilightoops:but I really like the rest of the story. It was relatable, endearing and entertaining. :twilightsmile:

Definitely worth an upvote, if not a fave.

9366574
I always felt that the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but that’s how I like to believe it would happen if it was an episode of the show. Anyways, I’m glad that you enjoyed the story.

9366739
Don't get me wrong, Twilight's first line was epic:

"You wound us." Twilight said, her face in an expression of disbelief. "I can't believe the thought would cross through your mind."

I didn't even consider that it could be interpreted in a negative way until Rarity did and that bugs me, perhaps unfairly but it does, I expected better from her.

Then it got to this:

"But why did you have to make me walk to the doors before saying that you wouldn't change?"

"Well... You are a rather melodramatic pony, Rarity. I felt it would be appropriate. You did make the tux before coming out. I'm sorry if I hurt you."

"It's alright, Twilight. There is nothing to forgive. You support me, and that is all that matters."

Yeah, that's cringy and pretty mean for Twilight to do to a friend and it felt stiff and out of character for Rarity to just brush over it like that.

That said, sorry if I sound harsh, I really liked the story and it'll probably go into my fave-folder. It's just the last few lines that rubbed me the wrong way. Props on you for finishing one too, I know how hard that is.

9367272 Don’t sweat it, that’s pretty solid criticism. In retrospective, it was a jerk move from Twilight, and a failed attempt at a joke from me.

9367894
Well kind of, it's Rarity's fault for taking it the wrong way too. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't made an equally awkward joke myself. (So I know they aren't forgiven that quickly):twilightsheepish:

Anyway, If you ever finish another story be sure to let me know, I'd love to read it.

Login or register to comment