• Published 28th Sep 2014
  • 1,481 Views, 27 Comments

A Chromatic Scale - eLLen



Rainbow Dash never asked to play piano, teach piano, or perform piano. And now she's got all three on her hooves. A story of musical nonsense at the hooves of one high-flying mare.

  • ...
0
 27
 1,481

I'm asking her for it. Really, this time.

“That was a huge mistake.”

I was shaking my head as I trotted away from the piano bar, the sound of a glorious fiesta trailing just behind my ears. I’d be the first to admit that I do love the festivities of parties—the celebrating, the desserts, the Pinkie Pie—but this party! This was not one I could love, much less tolerate being in.

“Aw, don’t be down, Dashie. Just what were the odds that the worst possible thing that could happen actually did happen?” Pinkie called to me, bouncing to my side on her hooves.

Turning to the party pony, I replied, “‘Worst possible thing?’ You sound like Rarity. Apparently it was a lot more likely than we realized considering it actually happened! I mean, did you see the crowd?! He got every one of them to sing along.”

Twilight trotted up to my other side, giving my shoulder a bump to get my attention. “To be fair, you didn’t actually perform any songs to sing along to. You were strictly instrumental.”

“Ugh.” I knew she was right, but it didn’t make it any better. I had gotten my flank handed to me on a silver platter—scratch that—a blue platter. Letting out an exasperated sigh, I grumbled, “You shouldn’t be allowed to perform ‘Piano Mare’ if you’re a stallion…”

“I… huff… thought… huh… you did well…” I heard Fluttershy sputter out.

“Uh, you okay there?” I asked, craning my neck to see her… and Applejack draped across her. “…I think you’ve got something on your back… Here, let me help.”

“Thank you!” she breathed, shifting her weight so I could get the passed out pony onto my back as well.

“I didn’t think she had this much to drink,” I commented.

Flashing me a sheepish grin, she said, “Oh, well, she ordered another drink… or three… when you started falling behind in the competition.”

“Yeah, yeah… Hey, where’s Rarity? I would’ve thought she would help you carry her. Sorry about not doing that earlier, by the way. I didn’t notice.”

“It’s fine, Dash. Don’t worry about it. As for Rarity, she left earlier. She said she was sorry she couldn’t stick around, but she needed to get back home for her sister. She was out longer than she expected to be.”

“That’s fine,” I responded, only a little miffed that she missed out, but hey, I can’t blame her.

“Mmhm. She also wanted me to tell you this.” Clearing her throat, she recited, “You were simply splendid, darling. Truly, I didn’t realize you were on such a high level until now. Remember, you are always welcome to come by and practice whenever you like.”

“Nice Rarity impression.”

A rosy tint coming to her cheeks at the praise, she said, “Thanks, I guess.”

“Well, thanks for inviting us out,” Twilight piped in, “It was fun. Sorry you didn’t win the competition.”

“Eh, don’t worry about it,” I dismissed, waving my hoof, “As much as I hate losing, it happened. Besides, just motivation to get better, am I right?”

“That’s the spirit,” she chuckled, “I’m going to be heading home now, alright? See you around!”

“Same here,” Pinkie agreed, “I thought you did fantastic! Do you two need help with Applecider over here?”

“Nah, I’m good. You, Fluttershy?”

“No thank you.”

Turning back to Pinkie, I said, “In that case, see you all later. Thanks again for coming out!” With their own farewells, they set off, leaving me with Fluttershy and the merrily intoxicated Applejack. “Let’s hit the road?”

She nodded, starting our trip to Sweet Apple Acres.


The door swung open, revealing the form of Applejack’s brother stepping through. “Apple…?” he started, trailing off at the sight of in front of him—two tired, grinning pegasi with his unconscious sister draped across their backs. “…jack.”

“Special delivery!” we chanted, then lasting all of two seconds before breaking into giggling.

Big Mac only raised an eyebrow as he looked between us. “Eeyup…”

I offered a hoof bump to Fluttershy, which she returned after having to take a moment to figure out what I was actually doing.

“So… Miss Dash, Miss Fluttershy? AJ?” Big Mac prompted.

“Went to a bar,” I answered, “And don’t worry about all this ‘Miss’ stuff. You’ve accidentally bucked me out of enough trees to say we’re friends, right?”

“Alright, Miss Dash.” He raised his hoof toward Applejack. “Cider?”

“Eeyup!”

Rolling his eyes, he said, “Bring her in.”

I nodded, turning to Fluttershy again. “Okay, want—”

Applejack groaned in her sleep, rolling over onto her side… which wasn’t a very good idea considering it was a one-way trip to the cold, hard ground. On the bright side, she didn’t seem to mind.

The three of us looked from Applejack, to each other, and then back to Applejack. “Darn…” I said, “Third time that’s happened.”

“Ah’ll get here,” Big Mac said, then trotted around to push her onto his back. He turned his neck to look at us again. “Thanks for bringin’ her here.”

“No problem!”

“Mmhm… Well then, goodnight ya’ll?”

“Goodnight. See ya later,” I answered, Fluttershy echoing something along those lines as well. As he turned away, Applejack’s slumped from in tow, a thought—or rather, a lovely little idea—came to me. “Hey, Big Mac?” I called, “When she wakes up, tell her that she’s also great it.” The sound of Fluttershy’s embarrassed squeak told me I’d done well.

“Uh…” he replied, eyeing the canary-coated pegasus and her blushing, “Great at what?”

“Oh, she’ll know. Trust me,” I replied, a few cackles breaking in-between my words.

He put me under a suspicious gaze but shrugged. “All right,” he agreed, prompting a victorious snicker out of me. Giving a final nod, he took him and his sister inside.

“Heheh, I think she’ll love that joke, eh?”

“Um, uh, I… yes?” she responded, completely confident in her answer as always.

“Haha... By the way, thanks for playing along with the ‘special delivery’ joke earlier. I know that’s not your usual shtick.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. It was…”

“Nice?” I suggested.

“Funny,” she finished.

I rolled my eyes, letting out a chuckle. “Nice seeing you, Fluttershy. Thanks for coming out.”

“Of course,” she said, “Anytime.”

“You good walking home from here?” Getting a nod in return, I continued, “Then see you later! I’ve got to get some sleep. I’ve got things to do and things to say!”

“Bye, Dash. Goodnight.”

“‘Night!” I bid, before taking off and watching the canary-colored shape of Fluttershy shrink into a faded dot below me.


It was the next day when I found myself at the keyboard once again. Taking up Rarity’s offer, I was using her grand, mostly because it was the only place I was able to practice. Fortunately, she didn’t mind; if anything, she seemed delighted that I was back, going on about keys and whatever else. A sneaking suspicion told me that I should be worried about that.

In the meantime, I was practicing. “What was I practicing?” you’re probably asking. Well, the answer would be… everything. I was going through every routine I could think of—learning new pieces, refining old ones; doing scale runs up and down the piano’s length; and just about every mechanical skill I might ever need. By that last one, I’m talking about small yet important skills that help out in the long run, like the thing about “rolling” off the key to make it softer I told Rarity a bit ago. It was fun and all, but it really showed me just how out of practice I am. It’s a wonder I got through my pieces at the bar so smoothly! …Until the competition, that is.

I’ll admit I made a mistake in challenging that guy, but I did learn from it. What he did that I didn’t was to really get the crowd involved, mostly through his singing. Hey, an instrument can only do so much on its own. I supposed I could sing, myself, but I haven’t tried doing that while playing yet, and, to be honest, I know I don’t exactly have the best singing voice. Don’t get me wrong; I can hit notes and all that, but I’m aware that my voice is a bit scratchy or rough or… boyish or whatever you want to call it. In any case, I’ll figure it out later.

Heh, Twilight was right. This is just like practicing my flying for the Wonderbolts, only with my hooves doing the talking rather than my wings. Though, I knew flying would always be my one true love, and this and whatever else that comes along would be second. Well, except for my friends and family, but that was obvious, and I’m thinking too far into this. Anyways, music! Right. Honestly, I’m surprised I’ve gotten myself this far involved with it already. I could just hear my parents’ “I told you so” if they ever found out.

I was pulled back into focus as my hooves played one final chord, embellishing a tune with a deep, resonating tone. I blinked and had to take a moment to comprehend just what had happened. Was I really being all thoughtful while I was playing? I wondered. Breaking into a grin, I realized yes, I had. If I can go off on a thinking tangent while in the middle of a song without messing up, then I must be doing something right. Just as long as I’m not relying on muscle memory for it. As useful as it is, it can blank on you at the worst possible moments. Well, what better way to find out than to try it again? Getting my hooves back into position, I counted down in my head… one, two, three, one, two—

“How are you holding up, darling?” Rarity conveniently interrupted, stepping into the room. She propped up her forearm against the piano, leaning against it. “I do hope you’re fine. I know it can get stuffy in here.”

Taking my hooves off the keys before looking at he, I said, “Nah, I’m good. Thanks.”

“You sure? Need anything? Some water, perhaps?”

“No thanks,” I replied, glancing back down at the keyboard.

She remained frozen in her spot, and I felt her stare boring into me.

“…Actually, I’ll take you up on that offer.”

She beamed. “Coming right up, dear!” In a minute, she came back with a glass, which I greedily accepted. I heard her give her light, ladylike laugh as she watched me, saying, “It’s great having you here, Dash.”

“Mmf?” I answered, mouth still full.

“That’s right. I feel that, out of our circle of friends, we never spent much quality time together. Outside of us being with the others.”

“Mmf.”

“Mmhm, Rainbow. You know, I ought to be paying you for playing here. All of the customers that have arrived today have been enthralled with the music flowing in the air, especially when I told them you were playing it live.”

“Mm… Heh, thanks. It’s nothing really; just me being awesome as always.” That got a roll of her eyes.

“Rarity?” I heard a softer, younger voice call, “You wanted me? Where are you?”

“Over here, Sweetie,” she answered before turning back to me. At seeing the raised-eyebrow look I was giving her, she elaborated. “Recall how you’ve been giving me lessons—er, lesson?”

Oh… that. “Yeah?” I answered, smiling along innocently.

“Well,” she said, putting far too much emphasis on the word, “I had a marvelous idea. Sweetie could learn as well. It’s very beneficial to start at such a young age, and she already has such a lovely singing voice to accompany it.” She looked off distantly for a moment, no doubt imagining fame and fortune and everything that goes with it in her sister’s future. She shook her head, pulling herself out of her trance. “Is that alright with you?”

“Of course,” I chuckled, coming out more akin to nervous laughter, “…Wait, did you say sing—”

“What is… it?” Sweetie trailed off as she entered the room, seeing the sight of me. “Oh, hi Rainbow Dash. What’s going on?”

“Hey! Yeah, yeah, I think you’d better let your sister explain that.”

Looking to Rarity, the pony in question explained, “Dash, here, is going to give you piano lessons.”

Sweetie blinked, taken aback at the simple words. I couldn’t tell if it was because of the new hobby she was going to have or because I was teaching her. Furrowing her brow, she said, “Piano? Ugh, I knew that was why you got it…”

“Now, Sweetie,” Rarity said, wrapping her foreleg around her, “Don’t be like that. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Just imagine how well it will sound with your singing voice!”

“Rarity, are you planning my future for me again?”

“Er...”

Sweetie breathed out an exasperated sigh, as if this was a common occurrence. Knowing Rarity, it probably was. Shifting her intrigued gaze to me, she asked, “You can play piano?”

“You bet!”

“And you’re going to teach me?”

“Yup!”

Her face gave me message somewhere between “What the heck?” and “Why the heck?” Not taking her eyes off me, she asked Rarity, “Is she a—?”

“No, Sweetie, she’s not a changeling. We’ve already checked.”

Seeing the remaining skepticism in her features, I decided the best way to convince her would be to show her, and so I did, playing a free-flowing melody that was simple in nature yet showy enough to send the message.

Finishing with a ringing chime, I glanced at Sweetie’s reaction. “Oh, wow,” she said, eyes widened in surprise, “I didn’t know you were good at stuff other than flying.”

“Uh… thanks?” I replied, unable to keep from glancing at the glare Rarity was sending her sister’s way.

“In any case…” Rarity started, “What do you think, Sweetie?”

“I don’t have choice, do I?”

Rarity smiled. “No, dear.”

Shaking her head, she sighed, “Ugh, fine.”

“Splendid!” her sister chimed, springing up straight, “I would love to join you today, but I still have my boutique to care for. I fear I’ve already been gone too long a time already. If you need anything, you know where I’ll be.”

“Okay,” Sweetie and I both groaned. With a giggle, the designer left, practically skipping out of the room.

There was a moment of silence as the filly and I watched her depart then turned to each other, neither of us wanting to make the first move; though, someone did have to lest we stare at each other for an hour straight. Thinking about it, that actually didn’t sound too bad in comparison to having to teach.

“So…” I started.

She continued staring at me.

“Piano…!” I said, mustering some enthusiasm up.

Finally, she moved, shaking her head as she said, “Can we just say you taught me? She’s always trying to get me into all these…” Her eyes rolled as she mimicked her sister’s accent. “‘Ladylike avocations.’”

Tempting, I thought, But not happening. “No can do. If I’m being forced into this, then so are you.”

“Then…” she said, putting her hoof to her chin to think, “Can we force Applebloom and Scootaloo into it too?”

Suddenly, my vision flashed to a dystopian future of Ponyville, horrid, dissonant piano noise plaguing the air as the innocent residents wailed as they covered their ears in vain. “No!” I shrieked, bolting upright and making Sweetie jump. “Er, no… Sorry about that.”

Eyeing me strangely, she only replied, “Uh… no problem.”

“Heh… Alright, what say we get started?”

“I guess,” she said, shrugging as her gaze shifted to the piano. I bit back the words I was going to say at seeing her… almost dejected face. I knew that face; I always would have that same one when I was her age, sitting mindlessly for hours on end at this very instrument. Oh, Celestia! I realized, I’m doing exactly what my parents did to me! I can’t do that! I couldn’t.

“Ugh…” I moaned to myself. On one hoof, I’d turn into the world’s biggest hypocrite. On the other, I’d already promised Rarity. Even more, this was for Sweetie just as much for me; if not, more.

My ear perked as I heard Sweetie muttering to herself, saying, “I don’t see why I have to do this. I can sing already.”

Sing… Oh, right! She’s a singer! That’s what I was thinking about earlier. Then, bam! Inspiration struck me. “Idea!” I sang aloud, prompting a raised eyebrow out of Sweetie. “I know what we can do,” I told her, “Tell me, do you like singing?”

Taken aback by the sudden shift in conversation, she hesitated before answering. “Uh… yes?”

“Are you good at it?” I continued, not missing a beat.

“I… think so? I haven’t performed for anyone except Rarity and my friends. They insist I’m great.”

“Really? Then… would you be able to sing the note I play on here?” I said, gesturing to the range of keys on the piano.

“I don’t know? Maybe? Why are we talking about my singing?”

“Because, Sweetie, I have an idea that would not only get you out of piano lessons, but would benefit your singing!”

Now visibly interested, she agreed. “Sure. Sounds like win-win to me.”

“Awesome! Try… this note,” I said, pressing down on a mid-range note, close to what most ponies talk at normally.

She listened to it for a moment, her face scrunching up as she tried to focus in on it. Then, taking a breath, her voice came out, quiet at first before locking into a moderate echo of the note, right on key. After a few more seconds, she stopped, looking distastefully at the keyboard. “Sorry that wasn’t so good. I haven’t warmed up… Why are you smiling like that?”

True, I was smiling like an escaped convict, but I didn’t care enough to change it. “Are you kidding?” I exclaimed, “That was perfect, and I’m not even a singer.”

“…Doesn’t that hurt your argument?”

“Doesn’t matter,” I dismissed, waving my hoof off, “Here, can you do this note?” This time, I picked a higher one, which she promptly hit right on the head. Grinning wider, I pushed down an ever lighter one, then a low note, and even an extra high note on the scale I was sure she wouldn’t be able to pull off.

And she got every single one.

“That’s amazing! You’re amazing! This is perfect!” I gushed, drawing a modest blush out of her.

“Thanks,” she said, “But what’s perfect. You still haven’t told me your idea.”

I nodded. “Right! So, Sweetie, how would you like…”

Her eyes widened in anticipation.

“To be my own personal singer?” I finished, throwing up my hooves theatrically.

Her reaction, actually, wasn’t as enthusiastic as I’d hoped. “You’re singer?” she repeated, “For what?”

“For performances, of course,” I laughed, “You, me, and the fame of being famous.”

“So… like a piano-vocal duet?” she asked.

“Right!”

She shrugged, running a hoof through her pinkish mane. “I don’t know…”

“Huh?” I reacted, dropping into a frown, “Why not? I bet you could get your cutie mark from it!”

She shot me an unamused glance.

“…Not working?”

“Rarity uses it daily.”

“Heh… Anyways, why not? It would be awesome.”

“Yeah, probably,” she admitted, sending another spark of hope through me, “But… What about Rarity? She’s expecting me to learn an instrument, not become famous.”

“Oh, I see. Don’t worry about her; the reason she puts you through all that ‘ladylike avocation’ stuff is so you can become famous. Or at least successful. Have a wide range of talent for whatever you’ll ever need, ya know?”

“Yeah, I know… But, I don’t know about suddenly becoming a singer with you. Just…”

I nodded, putting a hoof on her shoulder. “Yeah, I did just spring that on you huh? I guess you need time to think?”

Now it was her turn to nod.

“Alright,” I said, “Sorry about rushing you. I can get ahead of myself, I know. Tell you what. I’ll talk to Rarity if you’re concerned about her, and you can take all the time you like.”

“Okay, Rainbow Dash,” she said, darning a welcome smile again, “Sounds like a plan.”

“Haha, that’s the spirit. Now, instead of a boring lesson, why don’t you go do whatever all you foals do nowadays? I’ll tell Rarity I let you go.”

“Thanks!” she replied, springing to her hooves. Making headway toward the door, she called back, “See you around!”

“See you! Oh, and Sweetie?” She looked back at me as I said, “I hope you don’t feel pressured by me. Only do this if you want to, okay?”

Flashing me a grin, she nodded. “Okay. Bye!”

“Bye!” I returned, watching her go.

…Heh, I thought, this could work out well. I might have just gotten a singer, and an amazing one at that. Ponies love it when foals do stuff like this, and Sweetie’s what? Ten? I think she’ll have a blast.

Though, I really do hope I didn’t put her into an uncomfortable position and all. We’re friends already, right? I mean, it’s not like I haven’t hung out with Rarity’s sister before, just now it would be just her without the Crusaders. Assuming of course, she doesn’t tell them… even though they’re her best friends that she tells everything to… and one of which probably has an unhealthy obsession with me as a sister… oh.

Well, what’s the worst that could happen? They force themselves into the plan in some strange way? Maybe want to perform another rock opera?

Haha… heh…

…huh.

Comments ( 3 )

That dystopian future is all too likely with the CMC. And not necessarily because of piano lessons. Brilliant!

what’s the worst that could happen?

....Why did you have to go and get Murphy involved?

Rainbow Dash vs The Piano.. cool!

Login or register to comment