• Published 26th Apr 2014
  • 16,108 Views, 129 Comments

Operation: Supernova - Eternal Aviator



Pony kind has crossed the line. It's time to take things up a level.

  • ...
55
 129
 16,108

Bonus Chapter: Epilogue

Operation: Supernova
Ten months, twenty-one days after Foreign Order War

It's been... Quite a while now since the Foreign Order War broke out between us humans and the equines of Equestria. I've been off-duty for about eight months now I think, so I thought I'd record this little extra thing so smooth out some roughs on my last recording, when I was on-duty on Equis. Now keep in mind, the last recording, I had to leave out a good chunk of what I really knew regarding stuff like how we first found out about Equis, how we actually got there... So on and so fourth. The government had a pretty damn big eye on me when I made the first recording to make sure I didn't spill any of the more secretive intel, but about seven months after the conflict ended, they decided they were in the clear I guess and finally declassified a lot of the goods. Now since it had been so secret, there are still a lot of people who don't know about it. Well, time to get the word out.

Let me start with how we first discovered the planet Equestria. It was actually completely unintentional from what I've heard. For those of you who don't know what the Voyager 1 satellite is, it was a little bot with a couple of cameras, a big ol' radar dish and a transmitter about as powerful as a regular ceiling lamp that was sent into space to observe a rare geometric arrangement some of the outer planets had gone into. My memory's a little vague, but you get the idea. It was a small satellite that after about 36 years entered what's called interstellar space, basically meaning it left our solar system. It still runs too, and has been sending back data ever since it was launched. It takes a good few months for the data to actually reach Earth now, but some of the stuff we got back was pretty incredible. Now here's how Equis was discovered.

Now you're probably think something along the lines of simply the satellite just turned and there the planet was, but that's only sort of how it went down. It was going by really slowly when we got feedback that the satellite was actually turning. We later found that it was actually spinning on an axis, or an orbit around a planet. That planet, as you can probably guess, was Equestria. Almost immedeatly another probe was launched with the intention of rendezvousing with the Voyager and analyzing the Earthly planet. It got there in just under month since it went to fast and with a few scans, what'da you know, it's pretty much identical to earth. Now here's when things got pretty sketchy for the U.S. government. They wanted to send a man (or men) all the way across the solar system onto a foreign planet. There were a few problems... One: it was going to be insanely expensive, two: by the time a human got there they'd be either really old or dead, and three: if the planet is habitable then there could very well be life there. Hostile life.

Finally the government found a rather cheap, reliable, and quick way to actually send someone to Equis, and they wanted not just to send one person, but a small military force. It was a sort of sign-up thing for people who are nominated to choose if they wanted to lay their life down for the evolution of human advancement. I was one of the three hundred and twelve to sign up. They did some pretty insane body tests on us to see if we were making the right choice, mentally and physically. We had about two hundred and sixty left by the time testing was over. Not a lot is declassified about how they did it, but basically we were all put into some sort of stasis and loaded onto these military shuttles for the quick ride. There were three shuttles total that were set to land in the same part of the planet, a part that the locals had called the Echo or some shit like that. Basically a big dessert where we wouldn't interrupt anything. The shuttles were all loaded with large parts to assemble small outposts as well as several vehicles to move them to the two specified locations for deployment. I forget exactly where the second base was set up and I think I remember telling you where the mine was in the last recording.

When word got back to Earth that we had successfully deployed there was a bit of a stalemate on what to do next. Begin global colonization? Mine the planet for it's abundance or resources? Then word of a first contact scenario got to the governments ears and a new idea was proposed; an inter-species alliance. It would be perfect for trading, and best of all, humanity had finally advanced to the stars. Boy was everyone proud of that, and the alliance worked. The species that called themselves Ponies was also pretty baffled about our technological advances, so we thought about trading. We gave them simple technologies such as the telephone, the ability to harness electricity, basically the stuff you'd keep in a house (and that couldn't be physically weaponized). In return we were given mining rights in the more blank regions of the planet where native life wasn't present. Pretty soon we had more shuttles coming in with parts for assembling mining and construction equipment. However, our colonization came to a standstill when we found out that not only where there numerous semi-dominant species on the planet, but they all had found out about us. None of the leaders showed but I'm pretty sure they got the impression that we weren't there to hurt anyone, so neutral relationships with the other species formed.

Then came along these little fucks called the Changelings. They absolutely hated us, but never tried any head-on attacks as they has seen our miniature military might. Still, we still didn't screw with their ranks. One thing that set these bugs aside with the fact that their leader did actually show up personally to the base I wasn't at. They didn't give us details but I heard it was an ugly little argument. Once the ponies found out we were also a match for the Changelings, they were pretty happy. With the amount of money the government was getting from selling the trade they got they were actually paying off little bits of the national debt, as well as sending more supplies and equipment to Equestria. The mining plant we had dramatically grew but we were still careful not to step on any toes of the locals.

Now I'm gonna skip ahead a bit, past when the ponies started hating us to the short war that broke out. The Foreign Order War. It consisted of two main battles between them and us before things came to a standstill. The first battle... well, it could have gone a lot better to say the least. You see, the earth ponies and pegasi as well as the seventh century weaponry they possessed hardly posed any sort of problem. It was the unicorns that made things more difficult. Their shields weren't the problem, or anything defensive at all, it was just the laser-like blasts they could fire at us extremely fast. We never lost any vehicles but we did loose a lot more men than we would've liked... Their body armor would just be melted by these blasts. Their guns would melt. Any damn thing unlucky enough to be touched by that plasma like substance was creamed, and while it was their only big advantage against us, it was a big one. We lost almost seventy men on just that one battle... It was a siege on a apparently very important village called Ponyville. We had heard it housed some powerful weapons of defense called the Amulets of Harmony or some shit, I don't remember exactly. We tried to get those from them but they had more of a defense there then we had anticipated.

We were taken aback by the outcome of the battle, and we imedeatly set out to try and find a way to compensate, to counter this power our enemy wielded. This is another section still buried a little but my guess was the wounds on our fallen ones were analyzed and the energy was studied. What it was is still locked up tight, but later on we did find a solution, and imedeatly hope was restored to the human colony. However, we didn't find the solution the way you'd think we did. It was actually the Changelings that gave it to us. They told us that they also loathed the equines we were fighting right now and were actually rather pleased we could stand up to them. So they told us their secret. Gold. The answer was gold. How this works is still a mystery but the magic, anything those damn unicorns launched from their horns, had absolutely no effect. The matter the magic is composed of simply is forced around the gold, and the gold is unharmed too. Thankfully the Changelings were generous enough to supply us with all the gold we needed. We had planned to try and study how gold did this later, but it was forgotten and we instantly started applying gold to everything. It wasn't just in big chunks though, we broke it down to a powdery sort of gold and literally coated everything in it. Layer after layer. Body armor, guns, armor, vehicles, everything. We then put a basic pain sealer over it to make the thick coats weather resistant and painted over it with standard military colors so that there weren't golden light-beacons everywhere. We even laced special bullets and shells with gold ingot to pierce any sort of magic as if it wasn't even there. It worked flawlessly in testing (the testing procedures are classified, so no info on that). Sure, everything was a little heavier, but the important thing was that we were ready.

During the month we took making our arsenal magic-proof, the ponies had been planning an end-game assault on our bases. This was going to be the second big battle. I'm starting to run short on time so I'm gonna be wrapping this up pretty fast. The ponies launched a large-scale attack on both bases. They had even brought heavy catapults loaded with massive rocks. They used those to try and take down our wall so their main element to infiltrate and capture our base. We were ready for them though. Their magic did nothing to us and we chopped them down after about an hour and a half. It was a massacre; there were equine bodies everywhere. We scavenged all of the gold armor they wore and kept it locked up just in case we needed it as a reserve.

Not much later the operation you already know about, Operation: Supernova, was discussed and devised. I didn't use a gold-implanted gun, but I was loaded with some experimental shield-piercers. A led .408 CheyTac bullet with a gold tip that would go through a force-field like nothing... The operation was a success. The princess was KIA at exactly 6:41a.m. Eastern Standard time. There was celebration, even a party was thrown at the bases, but I didn't join in on any fun, and neither did my partner. I had a feeling we were both going through the same thing. Guilt. Is this the definition of humanity? Killing? Conquest? We came to Equestria for resources because we already have enough trouble sustaining our own selves, but that's our own fault... Yet, sometime I feel like we still blame something other than ourselves for our struggles, and that somehow gives us this foreign freedom? We invade a new planet, rich with intelligent life, and as soon as we get a bad impression we declare war? End it by completely toppling their government? This may all just be me, and I can understand humanity still has a lot to learn, but still... I just wish there was another way. No one else tried anything with humanity after the result spread, and we didn't do anything there. We left out mining facility up and running, but there was a decision. As soon as that area was dry, we were all leaving Equestria.

That decision made me proud of us again.

Author's Note:

I made this extra as mainly an explanation to those who were confused or angered by this story's lack of, well, a lot, but also just because I thought another chapter would be nice for those who wanted it. I hope you guys enjoyed, and sorry if it's a bit iffy in the writing.

Comments ( 41 )

That's okay. At least it's expanded, even if some of us want it to expand more.

Dr_D #2 · Jul 7th, 2014 · · ·

Why would we leave Equestria after killing their leaders?
Why would we not continue mining operations?
Mind explaining author?

4653469 Total agreement there. I want to hear the thoughts of the Elements, Luna, Cadence and Shining.

Bum
Bum #4 · Jul 7th, 2014 · · ·

Just a thing, you don't need to turn the gold into powder, you could just electroplate it. It would probably be way more efficient.

TL;DR: Its when you use electricity to coat a metal object with ontother metal. They use it for jewlery and wiring and stuff.

There is now an official video-read of this story! Made by my good friend, Michael de Santa,

So a guy who rob banks, kill a lot of civilians & cops, hijack cars, boats, planes, friends with a psychotic man and a gang member, is friends with you and made a video-read of MY Little Pony Fanfiction? :rainbowderp:
Didn't know he's into MLP.

4653503
Not really in the mood for a long discussion, so here's just kind of a little contrasting thing to clear the smudges.

Humanity--Person One ______ Ponies--Person Two

One comes into Two's house for some supplies that Two doesn't really need. Everything is okay. One starts getting a bit close to Two's items that he/she wishes to keep, or maybe it's paranoia from having a total stranger in his/her house that's making him/her think so. A friend of Two steps in and get's in One's face because he/she feels One is intruding. One punches the friend in the face and the friend retreats. Two is now very mad at One for doing that and tells One to leave. One replies by trying to reason and make things nice again. Out of anger (and a little paranoia), Two locks up One. After One of released by a friend, the two have a fist fight. One wins and knocks down Two hard. Instead of staying and maybe expanding the collecting, he does not want to cause any more trouble, and also knows that Two loathes him/her now, so trying to help in any way would only result in more anger. One decides to leave for the better of both.

Do you kind of get it now...?
(Man, that was a lot. Sorry.)

4653652
Oh. Well crap, that's new. I may put that in but not now. Sorry, I'm just tired.

4653852
Well... Of course it sounds bad when you say it like that...

4653909

Oh, then sorry. I just say that as a laugh. Because I laugh my ass off when I saw the name who makes a video of this fanfiction. I imagine if someone impersonating Trevor.

He shouldn't feel guilty because from what i remember in the first chapter it was the ponies that started the war they attacked the Humans first and they refused to listen to the Humans every time they tried to end the conflict with diplomacy so if you ask me Celestia deserved to get shot because she was being a complete idiot who refused to see reason

4653926
Heh heh, it's fine dude. I was just messing with ya too.

Tons of spelling errors (including the chapter title), but still an interesting read.

Hmmm.
Still lacking many things... needs a proofreading as well... but at least the cliffhanger is over.
I suppose, everyone would like to know more about the changelings' story in this, what happened to the ponies after Celestia's death, and how gold works against magic.
Hmmm.
Oh well.

-Zeph

i still dont understand WHY the ponies hate the humans, from the looks of it, they were taking off pretty well

4654665 In the first chapter a Human hating unicorn ran up to the Humans started insulting them then started shooting at them with his magic the Humans shot that unicorn dead which made Celestia get really mad at the Humans and even though the Humans kept trying to explain what happened Celestia wouldn't listen and then war happened.

4654731 the wording made it difficult to understand, but holyshit

this fic has a lot of holes, like BIG ones

the wording made it difficult to understand

and this fic has a lot of holes, like BIG ones

4654881 The only big hole i saw was that Celestia completely overreacted to that one unicorns death when he was the one who fired the first shot.

4654885
I got that in your first comment, okay? And my greatest apologies, my 14 year old brain hasn't entirely mastered the art of writing yet.

At least this explains why they use gold as armor material (the Ponies).

Human mantra:
"We come, we fuck shit up, we leave."

Oh, please forgive me my immaturity on this one for I was not able to resist! :pinkisad:

4654953 sorry stormy here, ISP is getting glitchy

4654937 well that's one in itself

They attacked us fist, so humanity is still the good guys. I don't care for "Humanity is the bad-guy' sob stories.... I care for the might and strength of humanity. I would have invaded and controlled Equestria, don't say it's wrong... I don't care!

fimfiction-static.net/images/group_icons/198/15fcbdf19a3496de9863.jpg

The ending to this part was pretty stupid. Why would he feel guilt when they clearly established blatant racism at the start, how wrong we humans are, retaliating to generic racist aliens, who attacked us first. Admin ban self defense. Either way, this was really good.

*Immediately* your spelling of it was consistent, but it was wrong. Kudos for the consistency though

The princess was KIA

Just celestia or Luna too?

4707073

Princess is just for one while princesses means 2

Don't get how you go from ponies trying to kill you because one of them assaulted a restricted area resulting in said one's death, to blaming the conflict on human nature.

We're always proud of draining others' resources to a husk and then just leaving.

5019187 I know. It just, just wonderful.

Princess had no one to blame but herself.

Still a lot of grammar errors that need reworking, also the science of the discovery is just... off as hell.

I mean, to send a probe out as far as Voyager 1 in a under a single month? And then on top of that saying:

by the time a human got there they'd be either really old or dead

You joking right? What did they give this probe engines that can propel it a decently large fraction of luminal speed (~1/40th*) then suddenly misplace the blueprints and forget how to make them or something? Seriously, the space science in this is so wonkers it's painful. Cause it would take years to get there even with our fastest and best craft today's tech wise, nowhere near under a month, to get there in a month straight line speed would need to be ~16,666,666.67mph.* (Yes, 16 and two third million miles per hour.)

And we can't even do straight line space launches, we need to sling shot it off the gravity of other planets. Even if we did have these really powerful engines, okay then, why couldn't they be used on a manned ship with people? I mean really, did you put any thought into explaining this before you threw it up there?

Also, Voyager 1 is a probe not a satellite, a satellite is something intended to orbit something, be it a star, moon, planet, asteroid, etc. not go off exploring deep space.

On top of that there's many incorrect usages of orbital terminology. Oh and:

That planet, as you can probably guess, was Equestria.

I shouldn't have to tell you Equestria is a nation and not the whole planet, should I? (Not that I'm a fan of the whole Equis thing, that would be fine if ponies were the only sapient species on the planet, but they're not, gryphons, dragons, changelings and minotaurs aren't even equine like a zebra or donkey, so they're alienated by the name of the very world they live on.)

As for the gold thing, eh... I can't recall exactly, but I'm fairly sure we've seen unicorns using magic to move Equestrian Bits and such around. I mean, there's an in canon magic resistant substance, remember the caverns Chrissy locked Twi and Cadence in? She put them there because the crystals reflected magic.

Sure Twilight blew them up when she used a lot of power, but not only was she using a lot of power to do it, but those are rough natural crystals, I imagine if they were polished and cut at the right angles they'd be able to scatter magic very effectively, like how some types of glass are made in a way to scatter light.

But I guess if you really wanted to use the gold, eh, could explain why the Royal Guard uses gold armour. :unsuresweetie:






*These are extremely rough estimates made with rounding and such, cause fuck doing all the extra math for precision, but you get the point, such speeds are impossible with current tech, and you didn't say the probe had sci-fi tech, you said it got there faster because of it not scanning stuff. Which by the way, pretty sure probes don't stop or slow down to scan stuff, they passively scan as they move, so it scanning or not on its way would have no speed impact really.

5254512
I appreciate the criticism, thanks for pointing that stuff out. This stuff i just what my head could come up with, I wasn't all surprised to see these kinds of comments rolling in.

5254525 Only Twilight and the Princesses could fire lasers like that. That is my only problem with the story.

Interesting. I'm honestly not sure whether this is a Tragedy or not.

A Tragedy (in the narrative sense, as the fimfic tag is intended) is defined by the hero struggling but then failing. Here, the hero succeeds, but the overall outcome, including factors beyond his control, is undesirable.

My main impression of the fic is "too short to properly satisfy". (The setting and circumstances of contact were unique in my experience and much more could have been done to reach their inherent potential in a longer fic.)

I think that's partly because it never really felt like the story had a conflict to drive it. The hero was too skilled for it to come across as a struggle to overcome adversity, successfully or otherwise.

5572452 the tragedy is that equestrian are marked stupid enough to kidnap a representative of another species, honestly it was probably changelings that did it and stuffed em in Celestia unused dungeon. really a race that as a whole wouldn't care if you choked an entire continent out of sunlight till everything dies and has weapons strong to fight the force that invades your capital while your military couldn't even hold her forces off and your telling me Celestia decided to pick a fight with them by kidnapping there representatives and no one spoke up or try to send to diplomatic team.

also given Luna can make meteor showers if ,there was a war she didn't just nuke e'm with space rock and pound the ships the come into orbit to debris fields ?

sorry it just seems a lot of important points got glossed.

5687954

That's not how the fimfic Tragedy tag is defined. They decided to pull the explanatory FAQ section before the rewrite was ready, so here's a copy from the Wayback machine.

Tragedy: The most confusing category by far, the Tragedy Category is often misunderstood and misused. A Tragedy has, by definition, a sad ending, but it doesn't mean the story is sad until that point; unlike a Sad story, it always, always will have a sad or bittersweet ending.

In a Tragedy, the heroine fights through amazing odds to achieve her objective, and just as she's about to get there, she fails through her own folly, or perhaps because she cannot fight fate in the end after all. Ultimately the hero fails; their friend dies; the world ends... our hero dies. Any outcome, as long as it involves the hero's failure in their struggle and the bitter result of it is what makes a Tragedy... a Tragedy.

Our hero succeeds in his mission. Thus, it's not a tragedy by that definition.

5687986 wasn't really my point, wasn't arguing a definition of tragedy, I was pointing out the issue of ponies seemed to be irredeemably stupid and celestia acting like a foal with no political knowledge despite 1000 years of experience and there being no justification why. a tragedy of the development of the story lacking a lot of depth and potential and not making a lot of sense of what should have been.

still thank you for the link

4653852 Oh, you only know what kind of wretched fuck I am on the outside. On the inside, well... let's just say I'm a bit different.

9687706
It started because a pony came and attacked they're base, so the humans killed him, and then celestia attacked them when they went to apologize so they assassinated celestia and that's when the war started. I think

Login or register to comment