• Published 10th Apr 2014
  • 2,194 Views, 31 Comments

My Little Cryophoenix: Black Ice is Magic - Twiggles6



Anivia has been alone for thousands of years, and now her very state of being is threatened. In her time of greatest desperation, a magical accident has forced her and her greatest foe to Equestria. How will they cope, and how will they ever return?

  • ...
1
 31
 2,194

Frosted Crystals

“Anivia… Please…” Anivia could hear muffled voices echoing through the darkness.

“Who… Is that?” Anivia asked as she struggled to focus on the voices.

“Is she okay?” Another voice asked.

“What happened to her?”

“What happened to me?” Anivia asked just before jagged shards of black ice jutted into view.

“Poor little hatchling.” A feminine voice mocked. “You are not yet prepared for your ascendance.”

“Hatchling?” Anivia asked, feeling slightly more lucid even as the black ice crystals grew. “Who are you, to speak to me in such a manner?”

“I am your future.” The voice dark said, the black crystals jutting further into Anivia’s vision. “Your next inevitable step on the road to ultimate power.”

“I desire not for ultimate power.” Anivia said, shaking her head.

“She moved!” One of the distant voices shouted.

“Is she waking up?”

“Of course you want power.” The darker voice said, drowning out the others. “How else will you ever defeat the Ice Witch?”

“The Ice Witch will be felled by the descendant of Avarosa. I am to be her guide and protector.” Anivia said.

“Is that so?” The dark voice asked. “How do you plan to protect her in this world? Hmm?”

“When I return, I will-”

“IF, you return.” The voice corrected. “But Lissandra is here. I can feel it. And you can too, if you only take the opportunity you now have.”

“What’s wrong with her?” Another muffled voice asked.

“She looks like she’s having a terrible dream.” Another said.

“Let us ignore these fools for now.” The dark voice said as black ice shards crept further into Anivia’s vision and muffled the concerned voices further. “There. Isn’t that better now?”

Anivia recognized the voice now. It was her own.

“Begone!” Anivia shouted as her magic surged to life, only to be pitifully snuffed out by the black ice.

“Struggle all you want.” Anivia’s dark voice said. “You will submit to your power eventually. There is no stopping-” Suddenly, a raging inferno interrupted Anivia’s dark half and drove the black ice away. “It won’t be long now!” The Dark voice screamed in agony. “This minor setback means nothing! You will submit!” She shouted just before the light became too bright to bear.


“Alright, ponies!” Gleaming Shield shouted once they got to the gates of the Crystal Empire. She turned to face her unit. “You all know the mission. Shout out if you find any trace of the targets. Flash Sentry, I want you in the air making sure we don’t miss anything. Am I understood?”

“Yes, Lieutenant!” The collected troops shouted as they got into the standard line formation. Flash Sentry took off into the sky, staying low enough to hear orders without the commander having to strain her voice.

“Very good.” Gleaming Shield nodded. “Now, forward march!” She shouted as she stomped a blue bead from her saddlebag, sending the first magical signal back to Shining Armor.

Barely an hour and a half into their search, strange weather phenomena began to manifest in the form of heavy clouds and biting winds. Flash Sentry was having trouble maintaining a steady altitude in these conditions.

“Flash! Navigation ain’t your only job! Why don’t you bust some of these clouds?” One of the crystal guards shouted.

“Right! I’m on it!” Flash called back as he began to ascend. As he disappeared into the clouds, the storm seemed to intensify briefly on the ground. A few seconds later though, sunlight streamed through a hole in the cloud cover. A few more seconds, and the hole was now a large gash in the sky. As more sunlight flooded down to the guards, the storm began to dwindle.

“Good work, Cadet!” Gleaming Shield shouted. “Keep it up!”

Just as Flash cleared the last of the weather in their way, he saw a strange glint in the distance. “Hey guys, I think I see something over there!” He shouted, pointing in the direction of the light.

“We see it too!” Gleaming called. “We’re headed in that direction now. Stay close.”

“Yes ma’am!” Flash said with a salute as he rejoined his team.

A few minutes of trotting later, the group came across a tall black shard of ice protruding from the ground. “What is that?” One of the guard ponies asked, stepping closer.

“I don’t know.” Gleaming Shield said, also stepping up to study it more closely. “It doesn’t look like any crystal I’ve ever seen.”

“Honestly, I’m getting chills just looking at it.” Another guard said, making sure to keep his distance.

“Well at any rate, this isn’t what we’re looking for.” Gleaming Shield said, turning her back to the strange ice formation. “We’ve wasted enough time here. Let’s get moving.” She said as the ice shard began to grow tiny needle-like spines.

“Lieutenant! Watch out!” Flash Sentry shouted as he tackled Gleaming Shield to the side just before the shard launched a group of ice needles in all directions. The needles missed Flash and Gleaming, and they bounced off the armor of the guards further back. However, the one guard closest to the trap was jabbed with several of the needles.

“Ow! What the- AUGH!” The guard groaned as the ice shards melted into his flesh. Within seconds, he was convulsing violently on the ground.

“What in Equestria?” Lieutenant Gleaming Shield asked as she and Flash stood up.

“Don’t worry.” A masculine voice said. “He’ll be better than fine in a short while.” When they turned to the source of the voice, the group of guards was face to face with a squad five ponies made apparently of black ice.

“Whatever you are, I command you to stand down at once!” Gleaming Shield ordered, putting herself between the opposition and her fallen subordinate.

“Why Gleaming Shield, I’m hurt.” The ice pony in front said with mock sadness. “Don’t you recognize me?” He asked as he tossed a Crystal Empire Lieutenant’s badge into the snow in front of Gleaming. “I mean, I’m only your fiancée.”

“Bolero?” Gleaming Shield asked, dropping her guard as her mouth opened in shock.

“Now!” Bolero shouted as the other four ice ponies leapt into action. One ice pony leapt towards each remaining guard. The crystal pony furthest back was subdued quickly, and began convulsing on the ground after being bitten by his attacker. The second guard was more focused though, and managed to throw his attacker away. Unfortunately, the ice pony landed on its hooves and released a flurry of icy needles from its mouth, jabbing the guard in the side and reducing him to a writhing mess like his companions.

“Lieutenant, move!” Flash Sentry shouted as he shoved Gleaming Shield out of the way of another attack, taking a hit from an ice needle in the process. “AUGH!” Flash grunted as the icy needle sunk into his flesh and melted, leaving a very small puncture wound. “Why does it hurt so much?!” Flash wondered, not seeing any major physical damage but feeling like his joints were freezing solid.

“Flash, were you hit?” Gleaming Shield asked just before seeing the small puncture.

“Yeah, but I’m fine.” Flash said through gritted teeth. “Just get out of here.”

“Oh, I don’t think you’ll be going anywhere.” Bolero said, freezing them both to the ground with an icy blast of energy. “Now dear. Don’t bother struggling. It’ll only make the process more painful than it has to be.”

“Stop!” Gleaming Shield shouted, looking Bolero straight in the eyes. For some reason, Bolero found himself unable to move. “What happened to you?” She asked, tears beginning to form in her eyes. “What monster did this to you?”

“I… I don’t… Honey?” Bolero stammered, beginning to hold his head with one hoof.

“I believe that will be enough.” Lissandra’s voice cooed as the black ice trap shifted its features and became the Ice Witch.

“My Queen!” Bolero and the other ice ponies shouted as they each bowed down to Lissandra. Looking around quickly, Flash Sentry realized that there were now more ice ponies than there were before, and the guards he had arrived with were nowhere to be seen.

“Why do you hesitate, Bolero?” Lissandra asked. “Some bit of you still holding on in there?” She asked, stroking her pet’s chin with an icy fingernail before swiftly turning around and slashing Gleaming Shield across the face with that same finger. “Worry not. You will be reunited with your lover under my service very soon.” She said. “But what of you?” She asked, turning to face Flash Sentry.

“Wh-what are you?” Flash asked, beginning to shiver from both fear and the cold feeling running through his body.

“My name is Lissandra, and I am to be your new Queen.” She said, gently petting Flash behind the ear. “But why is it that you can resist me? My black ice flows within you, but you do not change like the others.”

“Maybe it’s because he’s a pegasus?” One of the ice ponies suggested.

“Lustrous Glaive?” Flash asked, recognizing the voice. “Is that you?”

“I also noticed that his appearance is quite dissimilar to your previous forms.” Lissandra said, studying Flash up and down. “We will discuss why I was not informed of these racial variations later. For now, it is time that we returned.” Lissandra said as she and the ice ponies disappeared into the snow, taking Flash Sentry with them.


“NO!” Anivia shouted as she bolted awake, startling the four ponies seated around her. Fluttershy in particular was almost touching the roof of her cottage. “What? Where am I? What happened?” Anivia asked.

“Rarity told us ya had a bit of a faintin’ spell.” Applejack said as Fluttershy began to float back down. “She watching the little ones, and Twilight’s looking through some books for a way to wake ya. But it looks like Princess Celestia beat her to it.” She said, looking over at a perch with a bright orange bird on it.

“This is Philomena.” Fluttershy said, flying over to the perched phoenix. “She spent the last half hour shining bright lights to wake you up. Didn’t you?” She said, nuzzling the phoenix and causing it to blush slightly.

“Thank you, Philomena.” Anivia said, stretching her wings. I remember some mention of phoenixes in your world, but I must admit that I did not expect to meet one during my stay. It is a pleasure.” She said, giving a slight bow. Philomena returned the gesture with a flourish.

“Sorry to interrupt this meeting and all, but what the hay even happened?” Rainbow Dash asked, cutting in front of Applejack. “All we know is you passed out, and now the crusaders are freaking out.”

“Crusaders?” Anivia asked.

“Those young’uns you were talking to before you fainted.” Applejack said. “They’re right terrified that you might be hurt.”

“Well I’m not sure why I lost consciousness.” Anivia said, rubbing her head with a wingtip. “But I’m feeling well enough for now.”

“By the way, what were you dreaming about?” Pinkie Pie asked. “It looked like you were having a super duper scary nightmare dream.”

“I… I’m afraid I don’t remember my dream. I can’t shake the feeling that it was important though.” She said, losing herself in thought for several seconds before Rainbow Dash gave a rough cough.

“So anyways, maybe some conversation will help jog your memory.” She suggested, obviously wanting to ask something.

“I suppose it’s as good an idea as any.” Anivia shrugged. “What would you like to talk about?”

“Remember Rainbow Dash, she just woke up.” Fluttershy said. “She’s probably still a little tired, so don’t pressure her too much.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Rainbow said. “She doesn’t have to answer if she doesn’t want to. Anyways, my question.”

“Yes, ask me whatever you like.” Anivia said, urging Rainbow on.

“You said you’re some kind of champion in a fighting arena, right?” Rainbow asked.

“Are you sure this is something you should be askin’ about right now?” Applejack asked.

“It’s quite alright.” Anivia said, gently raising a wing to ease Applejack’s objection. “I suppose you could call it that, yes. I serve as a champion in the League of Legends.”

“Just what kind of following does that have?” Rainbow asked.

“Rainbow, ah know where yer going with this.” Applejack said. “I don’t imagine somepony like Anivia would fight others fer fame and glory and whatnot.”

“That is true. I do not.” Anivia said. “I fight in the League because I need to take a more active stance in the defense of my world. If I can best oppose corruption by fighting, then I will fight.”

“Oh, so it’s just for people who have a real stake in your world’s future.” Rainbow Dash said, obviously disappointed.

“I did not mean to imply that.” Anivia said. “There are many different champions, and they all have their own reasons for joining the League. Some fight for their nations, some for their crimes, and others simply for themselves.”

“Themselves, huh?” Rainbow asked. “So I guess there must be some kind of perks to the whole thing, right?”

“Oh yes.” Anivia said. “Each champion is after different things. Some compete for the money, while others compete for the notoriety. Rest assured that in most cases, there are certain benefits to being a champion. Wealth and power are rather commonplace among them.”

“Rainbow Dash, you can’t be serious.” Fluttershy said. “Do you actually want to fight against others and hurt them just so that you can be famous?”

“Hey, I bet Anivia’s been through lots of fights. She doesn’t look like she’s been hurt too bad.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Oh, on the contrary.” Anivia said. “I have perished in combat many times in League matches. Every champion has.”

“Wait, what?” All four ponies shouted in unison.

“It is… Complicated.” Anivia said. “The League wouldn’t keep champions for long if they didn’t have a way to keep them alive after death. As such, death is but a temporary inconvenience within league sanctioned battles. Powerful magics are invoked to return the fallen to life. However, it takes longer for the spell to complete as the fight continues. In the time between, it is something like an out of body experience.”

“Wow. That sounds really weird!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Not to mention spooky.” Applejack said. “Ya die, and then ya just poof back to life? I can’t even begin to imagine what that feels like.”

“If you are truly interested in becoming a League champion, then you would not be the first being from a different world to do so.” Anivia said. “Consider it. But for now, I believe that is all I can tell you.”


“And you’re sure that you did not overlook any other important details?” Lissandra asked Lustrous Glaive as she looked up at Flash Sentry struggling against his icy restraints.

“No, my Queen.” Lustrous Glaive said. “Earth ponies, pegasi, unicorns, crystal ponies, bat ponies and alicorns. That is all.”

“I see your species is far more varied than I initially thought.” Lissandra said. “No matter. It is but a small setback. It changes nothing about my plans. The process is slow, but I can feel this pegasus’s resistance fading. I believe the numbers I have here should be enough to mount an offensive of some effectiveness. Especially considering how quickly you crystal ponies seem to convert.”

“Should we prepare for an assault on the Crystal Empire, my Queen?” Lustrous Glaive asked.

“Not yet.” Lissandra said. “Alert me when the pegasus has come around to our side. Once he has, we will begin planning our eventual attack.” She said as she turned around and left Lustrous Glaive alone with Flash Sentry.

“Glaive, how could you?” Flash asked. “You were one of the Crystal Empire’s most loyal protectors. I remember you kicked my flank for even suggesting that the Canterlot guards had more discipline than the Empire.”

“Things change, Flash.” Glaive said. “You’ll see soon enough. This black ice is a beautiful thing. Full of such power.” She said as she began to pace back and forth. “I was prepared to die to protect the Crystal Empire. I still want to help it. But Queen Lissandra opened my eyes to the fact that the best way to help my nation is to help her.”

“I don’t believe…” Flash Sentry began, but grunted and hung his head before resuming. “I don’t believe I didn’t see it sooner. This Lissandra is so… Powerful. There’s no point in trying to resist.”

“See? You’re getting it.” Lustrous Glaive said. “Here. Let me get you out of there.” She said as she undid the first of Flash’s front bindings.

“I can’t believe I didn’t see.” He said as the second binding was removed. “I can’t believe I didn’t know.” He said as his first rear hoof was released. “I can’t believe…” He paused until he heard the last shackle click open. “I can’t believe it was that easy.” He said, using his suddenly free hoof to kick Lustrous Glaive as hard as he could. As she sailed across the floor, Flash Sentry flew in the opposite direction. Out of the cave and towards the Crystal Empire. “I have to warn the Empire!” Flash thought as he flew as fast as his wings would carry him, ignoring the piercing cold throughout his body.

“Glaive, what have you done!” Lissandra shouted, appearing just in front of her subject.

“I was tricked!” Glaive cried. “He-”

“No excuses!” Lissandra shouted, slapping Glaive across the face with the back of her hand. “Because of your gullibility, we have lost our element of surprise. He will not convert before he warns the others. We have no choice but to attack now.”

“I’m sorry, my Queen.” Glaive whimpered as she stood back up.

“I don’t want apologies. Only solutions.” Lissandra said as the other eight ice ponies appeared around her. “We strike at the crystal empire immediately. Convert or capture anyone you find. Leave the royalty and the crystal heart to me. I want to ensure that they are all taken care of, personally.” She said as she and her subjects disappeared into the frost.


“This can’t be happening. Not again!” Shining Armor shouted as he paced back and forth in the throne room.

“Shining, please calm down.” Princess Cadence said, putting a hoof on her husband’s shoulder.

“How can I calm down?” Shining asked, brushing his lover’s hoof away. “Because of my stupid decisions, we’ve lost ten ponies out in the tundra!”

“You weren’t being stupide, dear.” Cadence said. “You were just desperate to find Lustrous Glaive. Once the first team went missing, you were even more determined to find them too.”

“But I sent so many ponies out there without knowing the risks. I sent them out blind to find one pony in all that snow.” Shining said, sitting down and putting his head in his hooves. “I haven’t gotten a signal from Gleaming Shield in over an hour. I just don’t know what to do at this point.”

“I don’t know either.” Cadence sighed. “But you had to send those squads out there. Finding Lustrous Glaive was important, and the second team ideally would have been able to find out what was happening.”

“And none of them could make it back.” Shining said. “I’ve… I’ve never actually lost anypony before.” He said, looking off into the distance. “How am I supposed to find them if everyone I send gets lost too?”

“I don’t know.” Cadence said. “But I know you’ll make the right decision. These crystal ponies look up to you for more than just your title.” She said, giving Shining Armor a quick kiss on the cheek. “And I married you for more than your looks. You’re smart. You’ll think of something.”

“Thanks.” Shining Armor said, smiling a little bit. “I just wish I had an idea where to start.”

Cadence opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted when one of the large windows shattered as Flash Sentry fell through it. “Princess Cadence… Prince Shining Armor…” Flash groaned as he tried to stand only to double over in pain.

“Flash Sentry?!” Shining exclaimed, rushing to Flash’s side. “What happened? Where are the others?”

“We were… Attacked.” Flash said, managing to stand this time on shaky legs with Shining’s help. “A tall monster… That can control ice.” He said, falling down again. “She’s brainwashed the others… And they’re going to attack the Empire… They’ve got strange powers… Probably… On. Their. Way.” Flash Sentry gave a long sigh and lost consciousness.

“Shining, move over.” Cadence said, her horn already glowing with a healing spell as she pushed Shining Armor aside.

“He said there was going to be an attack.” Shining Armor said, realization hitting him a couple seconds later. “He said there’s going to be an attack!” He repeated, immediately leaping to action. “Cadence, get Flash Sentry to the infirmary! I’m going to rally the guards!” Shining ordered as he began sprinting towards the barracks, the guards in the throne room following him there.

“Prince Shining Armor, please come quickly!” A crystal pony wearing a messenger’s cap shouted just before Shining reached the door to the barracks. “Something has happened near the city gate!”

“What’s the situation? Report!” Shining said, motioning the guards with him to alert the barracks ahead of him.

“The entire southern district has been frozen over!” The messenger pony said through ragged breaths. “Everything from the city gate to the edge of the crystal fairgrounds was encased in black ice last I saw!”

“Then we’ll go there first.” Shining said before turning to the barracks. “Are you ready to move yet?” He asked as he went inside. “What in Equestria?!”

The entire interior of the barracks was covered in black ice. Every guard had been incapacitated, either being encased in ice or convulsing violently on the ground.

“Prince Shining Armor, what is it?” The messenger pony asked as she peeked through the doorway. “AUGH! How is it already here?!” She screamed just before a jagged shard of ice flew straight at Shining Armor.

“Look out!” Shining yelled as he shoved the messenger to the side, causing the shard of ice to miss completely and embed itself into the wall behind them.

“Hello Prince Shining Armor.” A voice from inside the barracks said. “I’m sorry I missed. I know you trained us better than that.”

“Wait a minute. Bolero?” Shining said, squinting as a pony with large reflective icy plates for a coat emerged from the barracks.

“You always did pride yourself on knowing your soldiers.” Bolero said as he shifted one of his ice armor plates. “But I never thought you could recognize me with voice alone.”

“What happened to you? What have you done?” Shining asked, making sure to keep the messenger pony behind him.

“I know this looks bad from where you’re standing.” Bolero said, taking a few steps closer. “But rest assured that this is all for the empire’s benefit.”

“What are you talking about?” Shining asked as the hall began freezing around him. “You’re assisting a hostile being in an assault on your own empire!”

“It’s okay. We all know you and Princess Cadence are amazing leaders.” Bolero said. “I would gladly have laid my life down for either of you. Unfortunately for the two of you, Lissandra is just much more powerful.”

“Lissandra?” Shining asked. “Who is this Lissandra?”

“Oh, you’ll be meeting her soon enough.” Bolero said as several more ice ponies emerged from the barracks. “And then you’ll be able to share in this power as well.” Just as Shining Armor grabbed the messenger and turned to flee, a giant sheet of ice cut off their escape. “Hold them down! Lissandra wants to take care of the prince personally.”

“Whatever happens, just stay near me. Okay?” Shining asked, turning his head to speak to the messenger. She just whimpered and nodded in response.

“What do you plan to do?” Bolero asked. “You have nowhere to run, and even you can’t fight us like this.”

“Now! Follow me!” Shining yelled as he bolted to the side. He made a leap towards the wall, sheathing himself in magical energy as he did. Charged with magic, Shining Armor burst through the wall as if it didn’t exist. Unfortunately, the messenger pony hesitated. She was struck from the side by one of the advancing ice ponies as the hole in the wall was filled out by black ice.

As Shining Armor fell, he altered his magic aura towards his legs and positioned himself for a landing. As he hit the ground, he kicked up a massive cloud of dust as the ground beneath his hooves cracked and impacted itself. “Well now. How very theatric.” A sultry voice said as the dust began to clear.

“Who’s there? Show yourself!” Shining Armor commanded as he searched for the source of the voice. A few seconds later, the dust from Shining’s fall began to settle. As it did, it revealed that Shining Armor and the crystal heart were surrounded on all sides by ice ponies Shining’s eyes went wide with fear when he realized how grimly outnumbered he was.

“Strong body, horn, powerful magic?” The feminine voice asked as Lissandra approached through the horde of ice ponies, each pony stepping aside as she walked. “You must be Prince Shining Armor.”

“And you must be the monster behind this!” Shining said, glaring daggers at Lissandra. “What do you want from us?”

“I already have what I need from you, Shining Armor.” Lissandra said, motioning to the vast number of ice ponies surrounding them. “You yourself sent me the first few groups of soldiers. And now, thanks to you, I’ve managed to bring together an entire army.” She said, approaching Shining Armor and running her fingers through his mane. Shining only stood in shock, his mouth wide open.

“But… No, I-” Shining Armor stammered, unable to piece together the threat he so wanted to say.

“You have done so much for me already.” Lissandra said. “But I need one more small favor from you. The crystal heart. Now stand aside.” She said with a wave of her hand.

At the mention of the crystal heart, Shining Armor seemed to find new strength. “No! My mistakes might have caused this, but I will NOT let you take the crystal heart.” He said, now standing defiantly.

Lissandra sighed before chuckling a bit. “Very well. I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised. You’ve made it a habit to make bad judgment calls thus far. Why stop now?”

“That’s it!” Shining Armor shouted as he made a furious leap towards Lissandra. Just before reaching her though, he was impaled cleanly by a spear of black ice. “AUGH!” Shining Armor coughed up a small amount of blood, staining his otherwise white coat. His ears perked up a bit however, and his horn pulsed a purple spark as he shut his eyes and winced in pain.

“Now there.” Lissandra said, shushing him as the spike began freezing Shining Armor’s body solid, starting with the wound site. “I may have use for you yet. Just consider this a warning to yourself, and your subjects.” She said, turning to face the wide eyes of her ice ponies. More than a few of them were gaping in shock, Lustrous Glaive among them. “I don’t know how long it would take to bend you to my will. So I’ll play it safe for the time being.” She said as the spike finished freezing Shining Armor to the spot. “I may be back for you later. For now though, you will make a nice ornament along with this crystal heart of yours.” She said as she encased the crystal heart in a tomb of black ice. Just as the crystal heart was fully consumed by black ice, Shining Armor’s horn let out one more dim, purple spark.


“Okay, Flash.” Cadence said as she released her levitation spell to drop the unconscious Flash Sentry onto a medical bed. “This should help with your condition.” She said as she cast a powerful healing spell on him to no effect. “Come on! Why isn’t this working?” She groaned in frustration just before she heard a loud crash from outside. “Hang on.” She said to Flash. “I’ll be right back.” She said as she flew out the window to see what was happening.

When she looked near the crystal heart, all she could see was a large cloud of dust. After it settled, Shining Armor was face to face with a being that Cadence had never seen before. “Are they talking? I can’t hear what they’re saying.” Cadence said, moving a little closer so that she could hear better.

“That’s it!” She heard Shining Armor yell just before being impaled on a spear of ice.

“Shining Armor, no!” Cadence screamed as she rushed forward. She stopped in midair however as she received a telekinetic message from Shining Armor.

“Don’t come near me!” Shining said in Cadence’s mind, coughing a little on his own blood. “She’s too powerful. You need to send for help. HURRY! Before it’s too… Late…” He sent as his horn pulsed one more pathetic time.

“Shiny…” Cadence whimpered with tears in her eyes. Every part of her was screaming at her to get down there and help her husband. It took all of her willpower to force herself back into the palace through the window she left it from.

Once inside, Cadence used her magic to take up a quill and sheet of paper from a nearby desk. “Auntie- No. Princess Celestia. The crystal empire has fallen. Mysterious forces have invaded the empire and breached the palace walls.” She thought, her mind giving life to the quill as it wrote her message. “Shining Armor and the crystal heart have both fallen. Please, send aid as soon as you can. The situation is dire, and we need as much help as you can spare. Signed, Princess Cadence.”

“There.” Cadence said as she rolled up the parchment in her magic and teleported it to Celestia.

“Princess Cadence.” Flash Sentry said. “What did you just send?”

“Flash! Are you alright? You were really out of-” Cadence stopped cold when she saw Flash Sentry. He was covered head to hoof in plates of black ice, and he glared at her intensely enough to send shivers down her spine.

“I’ll ask again, Princess.” Flash said, taking a step closer and fanning his now razor sharp, icy wings out. “What. Did you. Just. Send?” He said, taking a step closer with each punctuated word.

“Flash, hold on.” Cadence said, backing up until her flank was at the wall. “I can help you. I can bring you back to your senses. I just need some time.”

“Thanks for the offer.” Flash said before quickly flapping his wings forward and flash-freezing Cadence with a single enchanted gust. “But I like being just the way I am.” He said as Cadence’s frozen form tipped over and fell to the floor with a heavy clunk. Her face locked in a look of sheer terror and surprise.


“So you get stronger as you fight…” Rainbow Dash said. “But in the next fight, you start just as weak as you started the last time?”

“It is difficult to explain.” Anivia said. “It has to do with the mental link that champions share with their summoners. It takes time for the mental link to truly complete itself. As we fight, we get closer to the level of power we usually have outside the league without summoner interference. Each new league match means the beginning of a new mental link." Anivia explained, nodding her head slightly as she spoke.

“Hey guys.” Rainbow Dash said, idly rubbing her forehooves together. “Did it just get colder in here?” She asked, exhaling a visible breath.

“Yeah. Ah feel it too.” Applejack said, shivering a little bit.

“Anivia, do you know why it’s suddenly so cold?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m not sure, but… Wait.” Anivia said, concentrating hard before doubling over in pain. As she groaned in agony, purple vein-like streaks of ice began extending over her face from the base of her horn. “It’s her!” Anivia suddenly screamed as she fanned out her wings and let loose a huge wave of ice.

The pulse of ice instantly froze everything it touched, blowing Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie Pie into the walls and freezing them in place. Philomena managed to shield herself in a ring of fire before she fell victim as well.

“Anivia, what gives?” Rainbow Dash shouted as she struggled against the ice.

“Git us down from here!” Applejack yelled, squirming as much as she could.

“Okay, this isn’t very much fun anymore. Please get us down now.” Pinkie Pie said, suddenly wearing a puffy winter jacket.

Ignoring her friends, Anivia took off into the sky, directly towards the crystal empire. Philomena paused briefly to consider the best course of action.

“Just go! There’s no t-time!” Fluttershy shouted through chattering teeth. “T-Twilight will be here soon w-with Rarity. Just m-make sure Anivia is okay.”

Philomena paused for a few seconds more before taking off after Anivia, trying to stay as close as she could.

Fluttershy looked over at each of her friends to see them all giving her angry stares. “Um. S-Sorry.” She said, blushing as Rainbow Dash groaned on the other side of the room.

Author's Note:

Hey there, everypony. Sorry this took so long. I hope the 5000+ word count is worth the wait. Now, I kind of like to think of this as the chapter where shit gets real...

I really don't have anything clever to say right now. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and look forward to the next one! As always, feel free to leave any questions, concerns, or opinions as a comment down below. Constructive feedback is ALWAYS welcome. Just please... Try to make it at least slightly substantial. You know who you are. >_>;

Special credits to Legion222 and La Barata for pointing out to me the actual explanation for the League of Legends experience and leveling up system. <3

Comments ( 7 )

Random League Factoid of the Day: According to lore, a Champion at Level 18 with no Runes, Masteries or Items represents their power level outside of a League match.

Now I need to be careful to make sure my own "Lissandra in Equestria" story isn't too heavily influenced by this. I was already planning on her conquering the Crystal Empire >_>

A nice advancement if the storyline, but it kind of feels like Anivia isn't doing anything at the moment. Probably because she isn't doing anything at the moment.

Write on,
Legion

Here, for future reference. The official explanation as to why they get stronger through leveling up is that it simply takes them a while to mentally synchronize with the summoner. When they hit level 18, the champion and the summoner are completely in sync.

That's why when they start a new match, with a new link, they become level 1 again.

4665416
4665399
:derpyderp2:
Oops. I had no idea that there was already an in-lore explanation for the leveling system. Man, and I've been so good about lore up till now. :fluttershbad:
Ah well. I'll go into the story once I'm done with this reply and iron out this little mistake. Thanks for pointing it out to me, guys. :twilightsmile:

4666224 It's a really neat one, isn't it?

4666224
Don't worry about it; it's not super well-known. I think it was in the old Journal of Justice, which not a lot of newer players have read. I'm just a lore freak, is all. :twilightsmile:

Write on,
Legion

Did you stop this fic? I want more! Dude, congrats, you made a good displaced fic with the best mage from LoL, have a fav and like.

6718642
It's strange, really. I want to continue it, but I can just never work up the motivation to write whenever I sit down in front of it. It's like as soon as I think about how long its been since I updated, the drive to update once again just drains out of me.

Maybe someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Either way, thanks for the fave and comment. Always nice to know that new people are still finding their way here. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment