• Published 10th Apr 2014
  • 2,194 Views, 31 Comments

My Little Cryophoenix: Black Ice is Magic - Twiggles6



Anivia has been alone for thousands of years, and now her very state of being is threatened. In her time of greatest desperation, a magical accident has forced her and her greatest foe to Equestria. How will they cope, and how will they ever return?

  • ...
1
 31
 2,194

Rescue Gone Wrong

“So it’s a bird made of ice?” Sweetie Belle asked, walking alongside her older sister.

“Well yes, but she’s so much more than that as well.” Rarity said.

“But sis, I don’t get what’s so special about an ice sculpture.” Sweetie belle said. “I mean, it’s not like it’s alive or anything.”

“But she is alive.” Rarity said, smirking at her sister’s inevitable reaction.

“Oh, well that’s different then.” Sweetie Belle said, continuing to walk as the puzzle in her mind put itself together. “Wait, WHAT?!” she yelled as she stopped dead in her tracks.

“Anivia is far more than some ice sculpture.” Rarity giggled. “She is an elemental being from another world.” She said as Sugarcube Corner came into view.

“And she’s spending her time at Sugarcube Corner?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Well yes, for now.” Rarity said. “I’m sure Pinkie Pie is showing her a good time. Or at least what Pinkie sees as a good time.”

“Is a giant ice bird really that interested in parties though?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“I’m not convinced, no.” Rarity sighed. “And that is why I am going. I want to make sure Pinkie hasn’t scared her off. She means well, but she can be a bit… What is the word?”

“Spastic?” Sweetie chimed.

“That could work, yes.” Rarity nodded as they approached the bakery.

“And I can get some cupcakes while we’re here, right?” Sweetie Belle asked, her eyes shining.

“Honestly.” Rarity said, shaking her head as she put a hoof on the door. “I tell you there’s an ancient otherworldly ice phoenix in here, and you’re most interested in getting confectionary sweets.”

“Well we are going to a bakery.” Sweetie Belle said. “It would be different if we were going to a magic bird store or something.”

“I… I’m not even going to justify that with a response.” Rarity said as she pushed the door open and stepped inside. “Hello? Is anypony here?” she asked upon finding the shop empty.

“Rarity, is that you?” Pinkie Pie yelled from the kitchen. “Come in here, quick! It’s soooo cool!”

“What in Equestria could you be talking about?” Rarity asked as she walked toward the kitchen with Sweetie Belle just behind her.

“You know, cool? As in you gotta see this super fantabulous awesomeness!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Also, it can mean cold. So ice pun. Because, ya know; Ice bird and all.” She said, snorting a bit as she giggled.

“I’m not sure I find that joke particularly clever.” Anivia said, gaining Sweetie Belle’s attention.

“Who is that?” Sweetie asked as her eyes lit up again. “She sounds so pretty!” she said, bolting in front of Rarity into the kitchen.

“Now Sweetie, don’t run indoors or you could- WHAAA?!” Rarity gasped as she entered the kitchen and saw Anivia.

“See? I told you it was cool!” Pinkie said. She was covered in just about every color of the rainbow, her coat mottled with mostly blues and yellows and her mane almost totally green.

But what really caught their attention was Anivia. While her left wing and beak were a similar blue to how she initially looked, the rest of her coloration had completely changed. From the top of her head to the tip of her longest tail feather, Anivia had turned as white as snow. Her right wing and most of her talons had changed to an almost blood red color. The only other part that remained unchanged was the black horn in the center of her head.

“No matter how much food coloring I use, I just can’t get this part to change.” Pinkie said, prodding the horn with a hoof. “Oh well. Can’t be totally perfect I guess.”

“Pinkie Pie, what have you done to her?” Rarity asked, repeatedly looking to and from Anivia and Pinkie.

“I splashed food coloring all over her, duh.” Pinkie said.

“It was a very odd experience.” Anivia said.

“I’m so sorry about her, Anivia.” Rarity said. “She usually has more self control than- Wait, no, that’s not true.” She said, putting a hoof to her chin, trying to think of how to apologize correctly.

“You misunderstand.” Anivia said. “It was strange, to be sure, and I was very surprised at first. Overall however, this was not an unpleasant visit.”

“See? I knew you’d have fun once you loosened up a bit.” Pinkie said.

“Indeed.” Anivia nodded. “I haven’t looked like this in ages. It’s a marvelous coincidence that you knew what colors to put where without my telling you.”

“What coincidence?” Pinkie asked. “I chose all of the colors I used very carefully. I can’t get good results if I just go all willy-nilly with it.”

“But wait. You knew I would like this coloration?” Anivia asked.

“I guess it’s all a matter of opinion, but I like this skin the best.” Pinkie said with an innocent smile.

“Skin? Whatever do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“How could you possibly know?” Anivia questioned, beak slightly agape.

“Just a hunch.” Pinkie responded, earning unbelieving stares from everyone else in the room. “Oh, hi Sweetie Belle! I almost didn’t see you there.” She said, trotting over to Sweetie.

“H- hey Pinkie Pie.” Sweetie Belle stammered, still staring at Anivia.

“Hold on, I’ll go get you some sweets.” Pinkie said, leaving the room while humming a cheery tune.

“Yeah, sure.” Sweetie said, still in awe.

“My apologies.” Rarity said, patting her sister on the head. “Anivia, this is my little sister, Sweetie Belle.”

“Hi.” Sweetie said, barely moving at all.

“Greetings, young lady.” Anivia said, bowing slightly. “It is good to meet you.”

“Hi.” Sweetie said again, eyes wide as saucers.

“Sweetie Belle, don’t stare.” Rarity said as she gently shoved her sister. “It’s very rude.”

Sweetie Belle shook her head rapidly as if snapping out of a trance. “Oh my gosh! You’re amazing!” Sweetie shouted, zipping up to get a closer look at Anivia.

“She sure is energetic.” Anivia said.

“I’m sorry about her.” Rarity said.

“It is nothing.” Anivia assured her. “I am used to being regarded with such curiosity. Perhaps just not as… Overtly.” She said as Sweetie gently prodded her with a hoof.

“Anyways.” Rarity said, lifting her sister in a telekinetic field and plopping her down nearby. “I was wondering if you were ready to visit me at my boutique. I’m sure I could find a more… Relaxing way to entertain you.”

“I suppose.” Anivia said. “Just allow me to remove these colors before I leave.” She said before extending her wings with a flourish. As she did, a freezing whirlwind quickly blew through the room and whisked away the food coloring as tiny multicolored ice crystals. Once the ice had settled, Anivia ruffled her fresh blue feathers and looked down at Rarity. “So, shall we depart?”

Despite her earlier chiding of her sister, Rarity couldn’t help but stare blankly at the beauty she had just witnessed.



“Alright, ponies.” A crystal pony in golden armor said to the three silver armored ponies with him. “We’re on the lookout for Lustrous Glaive. Keep your eyes peeled, and shout out if you find any trace of her.”

“Yes sir!” The three crystal ponies shouted in unison as all four spread out to cover more ground.

Once the group was in formation, the lead pony dropped a blue bead from his saddlebag and crushed it underhoof. As he did, it sent out a visible pulse of magic that soared back towards the crystal palace.

“Lieutenant Bolero, sir?” One of the guards asked. “What was that just now?”

“A new precaution that Prince Shining Armor came up with.” Bolero explained. “He wants a signal from me every fifteen minutes on the dot. I have plenty in here, so we’ve got as much time to find Glaive as we should need.” He said, patting his saddlebag.

A few hours went by as they searched, Bolero sending the necessary signals back to the palace as instructed. About two and a half hours later, an unexpected snowstorm set upon them. “Who’s in charge of this weather?” One of the search ponies asked loud enough for the others to hear.

“I don’t know.” The lead pony grumbled. “But I’ll have them jailed for interfering with a search and rescue operation.”

“Sir! I think I’ve found something!” One of the other guards shouted as he began waving a hoof in the air.

“What’ve you got? Did you find her?” The leader asked as all three converged on his location.

“No.” He said as he held up a snow-covered spear. “Just her weapon.”

“Alright. I think we can safely say that something happened to Glaive.” Bolero said. “She isn’t careless enough to drop her weapon like this. Everypony, get back in formation and continue the search.”

“Yes sir!” The other three sounded off as they returned to their positions.

They walked two and a half more hours in the rapidly intensifying blizzard. Finally, ten beads later, they managed to find something in the wastes.

“Help! Somepony help!” A female voice called through the snow.

“That must be her!” Lieutenant Bolero shouted before pulling a green bead from his saddlebag and stomping it. “Glaive! Hold tight! We’re on our way!” He shouted as the four ponies rushed ahead towards the voice.

As they ran forward, a particularly strong draft swept the snow into a white sheet between Bolero and his followers. The rushing wind blocked out the guards’ cries of surprise as the lead pony kept running towards the voice.

“Lieutenant Bolero? Is that you?” Lustrous Glaive asked as the lead pony approached.

“It’s okay, Glaive.” Bolero said as he approached. “We’ll get you back to the city.”

“Thank goodness.” Glaive sighed. “I was worried you’d never manage to find me in this blizzard.” She said, her form still shrouded by the gale.

“We always find our pony, don’t we boys?” He asked, turning back and realizing that his entourage was nowhere to be seen. “Boys?”

“What’s the matter?” Glaive asked, her voice suddenly cold. “Are you lost now too?” She said, taking a few steps towards Bolero.

“Glaive, what’s going on here?” Lieutenant Bolero asked, looking around in sudden desperation for his backup. “Sound off!” He shouted at the top of his lungs.

Almost in response, Bolero heard the echoing screams of his men in the distance. “Sweet Celestia, what is happening?” He whispered, falling to his haunches in the snow as panic really began to set in.

“No, not Celestia.” Glaive said as she walked into view. Bolero’s jaw dropped when he saw her new form. “Your Queen is Lissandra, now.” She said as her eyes began to glow. Bolero’s hooves instantly froze to the ground, preventing him from making any movements.

“A good catch, Miss Glaive.” Lissandra said as she came up from behind Bolero and gently stroked an icy finger along his neck. “I get the feeling he will enjoy serving me as much as his friends.” She said as she dug a fingernail into the side of his neck, leaving a black ice shard and making him yelp in pain before succumbing to a seizing fit.

Before he lost consciousness, Bolero saw three more ponies like Glaive emerge from the direction of his men’s screams.

“Five subjects is a start, I suppose.” Lissandra said. “But I will need more for my plan to succeed. You three!” She shouted as she turned to the three newest converts. “Are there any outlying settlements near your empire?”

“No, my queen.” The ice pony in question asked, ignorant of his former commander writhing on the ground in front of him. “But there should be more coming eventually for us.”

“This is hilarious.” Lissandra chuckled as Bolero’s transformation completed. “They’ll really be dumb enough to send a search party after the search party?”

“Prince Shining Armor cares very much for us, my Queen.” Bolero said, shaking a bit of snow off as he stood up.

“How many times do you suppose this will repeat?” Lissandra asked.



“As many times as we need to!” Shining Armor shouted at his guard captain.

“But sir, I-”

“I gave Lieutenant Bolero specific instructions to send me a signal every fifteen minutes as long as he and his men were out there.” Shining said, beginning to pace. “He followed through until the mission complete signal was sent. I haven’t gotten anything in the hour since.”

“Well maybe they’re on their way back.” The guard captain asserted. “Not too much of a stretch if the last message was the all clear.”

“I was very clear with Bolero that he should never stop sending updates until he got to the city gates.” Shining Armor said with a sigh. “I want them found immediately.”

“But if there is something out there, do you really think we should send another search party?” The guard captain asked. “What’s to keep them from getting lost as well?”

“I’ll have an escort with them this time.” Shining Armor said. “Who is your most capable pegasus in the guard?”

“Well, we don’t have many pegasi here.” The captain said, rubbing his chin. “As you know, the crystal guard is made up almost entirely of crystal ponies.”

“I know we have a few other types of ponies here.” Shining said. “We have at least five pegasi in the guard. Which one is the best at navigation?”

“Off the top of my head?” The captain asked, shifting his eyes slightly as he thought. “Well I suppose that would be the newest one. I believe his name is Flash Sentry.”

“Get him.” Shining said. “I want him sent out with the next team as soon as they’re ready.”

“Of course, Prince Shining Armor.” The guard captain said, giving a short bow as Shining Armor left the room. “I hope he knows what he’s doing.” He thought as he stood up. “You there.” He said, turning to another crystal guard. “Bring me Lieutenant Gleaming Shield and her team. Also, find Flash Sentry for me.”

“I’m on it, Captain.” He said with a salute before galloping off.

“I’ve got a bad feeling about all of this.” The captain sighed. “But orders are orders. I just hope it works out.”



“So you are a fashion designer?” Anivia asked as she ducked through the door into carousel boutique.

“The finest in all of Ponyville.” Rarity said. “Though I honestly don’t have much competition in the area to begin with.”

“I wouldn’t think so.” Anivia said, earning her a confused look. “I apologize. I meant nothing about your town.” She said, quickly realizing what she had said. “I just haven’t actually seen many ponies wearing clothes. Dressmaking doesn’t sound like a very lucrative business in this world.”

“Well not around here, I suppose.” Rarity said. “Most of my work is done by commission. Most of my contracts are orders from Canterlot and other more metropolitan areas.”

“I suppose I could see that.” Anivia said. “So clothing in general is more of a high-class following here?”

“I get why you might think that.” Rarity said, moving over to a mannequin and retrieving a hat from it. “And you aren’t entirely incorrect. Clothing is generally more of a luxury except in specific professions. But enough about me and my work.” Rarity said, levitating the hat over Anivia’s head and allowing it to gently drift down to her. “I’d like to hear about you.”

“You already know most of the basic details about me.” Anivia said, allowing the wide brimmed hat to rest on her head. “I’ve told you about where I’m from, and what I do there. What else would you like to know?”

“Actually, I’m very curious about your feathers.” Rarity said. “They seem more like ice than actual feathers. Do you grow them naturally, or are they made from ice around you?”

“My feathers?” Anivia asked. “I honestly never expected to talk about them.”

“If it is an unpleasant subject, then we can move on to something else.” Rarity said quickly.

“Oh, no.” Anivia said, raising a wing briefly. “Nothing unpleasant about it. Simply not something I expected to discuss. To answer your question though, they do grow naturally.” She said. “They are formed of never-melting true ice. A pure substance created of the Freljord’s inherent magical power.”

“I see. So I suppose you don’t molt like regular birds do then.” Rarity said sounding slightly disappointed.

“I do not molt on a cycle, no.” Anivia said. “But my feathers will quickly grow back to replace any lost in battle or careless movement. Why are you so interested in them anyways?”

“Well to be frank, they are simply marvelous.” Rarity complimented. “I had hoped that I could convince you to help me with a few designs.”

“I’m not sure I would be able to help you.” Anivia said. “In all my years, I never learned the first thing about fashion design.”

“Oh, you wouldn’t need to help me with that specifically.” Rarity said. “I feel a little selfish asking you for this, but I was wondering if you could lend me some feathers for my designs in progress. I just know that they would be perfect for this client.”

“I see no harm in that.” Anivia said with a shrug. “How many do you think you will need?”



“So you all know your mission?” The crystal pony guard captain asked.

“Yes, sir.” Lieutenant Gleaming Shield said. “We are to find Lustrous Glaive, as well as Lieutenant Bolero’s rescue team.”

“And as you also know, we will be sending cadet Flash Sentry with you as air support. You will be counting on him for aerial reconnaissance.” The guard captain said.

“I won’t let you down, Captain Rockhoof, sir!” Flash Sentry said with a salute.

“Good. Now move out! Time is of the essence. Lieutenant, Prince Shining Armor will be expecting a signal from you every fifteen minutes on the dot. Do not be late.” Rockhoof said.

“Understood, sir.” Gleaming Shield said with a nod. “Ponies! Move out!” She ordered as she made an about face, her unit following suit in unison except for Flash Sentry. A moment later, Flash mirrored the motion and the five ponies left the palace.



“With the power you have already displayed, I feel that it shouldn’t be much longer before I make my move.” Lissandra said, addressing her five ice pony subjects. “Perhaps the next search party will be enough. After all, I doubt your leaders will be expecting anything like me.”

“As long as we maintain an element of surprise, we should be able to get inside before a barrier can be erected.” Lustrous Glaive said.

“So when do you think we can expect this new group of thralls?” Lissandra asked, turning to face Bolero.

“It has been a few hours since I sent the last signal to the palace.” Bolero said. “I expect the prince should be sending a team out for us shortly.”

“Then waste no time in preparing yourselves.” Lissandra said. “Be ready to intercept them quickly so that my plan may commence. By this time tomorrow, the crystal empire shall be my new seat of power in this world.” “One thing is still bothering me though.” Lissandra thought as she watched her ice ponies depart. “Whatever happened to Anivia?”



“Again, I really can’t thank you enough for this.” Rarity said as she placed the last true ice feather in the headdress of her new outfit. “I’m sure Sapphire Shores will absolutely adore this.”

“I’m glad that I could help as well.” Anivia said, looking no worse for wear. “I may as well make myself useful while I’m in your world.”

“There she is, girls!” Sweetie Belle shouted as she poked her head in the doorway.

“Whoa!” “My goodness!” Two more voices exclaimed as two other young fillies walked into the room.

“Sweetie Belle, really?” Rarity asked. “Anivia isn’t some sideshow attraction for your friends.”

“I never said she was!” Sweetie Belle asserted, walking up behind her friends. “I just want to introduce them to her. Scootaloo, Applebloom, this is Anivia.” She said pointing her hooves dramatically at her.

“Goodness. More children?” Anivia asked. “It is a pleasure to meet all of you.” She said, giving a slight bow.

“So cool!” Scootaloo shouted, her little wings fluttering with excitement.

“She’s so pretty!” Applebloom said, walking closer and staring up at Anivia in awe. “But that doesn’t look quite right.” She said, pointing up at Anivia’s black ice horn.

“Applebloom, honestly.” Rarity said. “You might be right, but there is no need to go pointing it out like that.” She said before quickly clamming up. “Sorry Anivia. I mean no offense.”

“None taken, I assure you.” Anivia said. “In fact, I can’t stand the sight of the thing myself.” She said, idly rubbing the horn with a wingtip.

“But what’s wrong with having a horn?” Sweetie Belle asked. “Isn’t it how you use your magic?”

“Not at all.” Anivia said, shaking her head. “In fact, I feel my magic has grown weaker over the time I’ve had it.”

“Nonsense.” A voice in Anivia’s head hissed.

“So wait a minute.” Rarity said. “You weren’t born with that horn?”

“That’s right.” Anivia said. “I forgot that I only spoke of this with your Princess. This thing on my head should not still be here after my rebirth in your world. It was put there by an evil sorceress, Lissandra.”

At the mention of Lissandra’s name, the air in the boutique seemed to chill as Anivia’s horn pulsed with a dark energy. The cryophoenix winced as a jolt of pain shot through her body.

“Anivia, are you alright?” Rarity asked as Anivia began to wobble.

“I… I…” Anivia struggled to find words.

“I’ve never felt better.” The dark voice in Anivia’s mind growled as Anivia’s vision darkened around the edges.

“What…” Anivia said as she wobbled a bit more. “What is happening to me?”

“Something magnificent.” The voice in her head said before breaking out into an evil laugh. And then Anivia fell, and all was dark.

Author's Note:

Hello everypony. Sorry it's been so long since the last update. I've been getting some important stuff in my life sorted out and things are looking up for once.

"Don't give us that crap! You've just been spending too much time playing League of Legends and not enough time writing about it!"

Shut up! *ahem* Anyways, though video games may have had some impact on my writing pace, I really have had to take care of some real life stuff as well. I'm thinking of doing something different to help with the narrative splits, but I'll need a little bit of time to get it done. For now, I'm just going to space the horizontal lines out a bit more and use two of them at a time to help make narrative shifts more obvious at a glance. I'm planning on using character images to signify who the narrative is shifting to in the future, but that's a little ways off.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter. As usual, leave me a comment if you enjoyed it. Try to give me some constructive criticism if you can. I'd also like to request that you leave a bit more than one word responses. I hate to be picky, but one word and an emoticon doesn't tell me anything about how to make my writing any better. Just saying. ^_^;

Love to all of you. Look forward to the next chapter!