• Published 10th Apr 2014
  • 2,194 Views, 31 Comments

My Little Cryophoenix: Black Ice is Magic - Twiggles6



Anivia has been alone for thousands of years, and now her very state of being is threatened. In her time of greatest desperation, a magical accident has forced her and her greatest foe to Equestria. How will they cope, and how will they ever return?

  • ...
1
 31
 2,194

Embrace Eternity

“I’m sorry you have to ride in the caboose, Anivia.” Twilight said as the train exited another tunnel. “The other cars just aren’t equipped to accommodate you.”

“It is no trouble.” Anivia said, rocking back and forth slowly for balance. “I did not expect exceptions to be made for my comfort. I am just grateful that your ruler is willing to see me on such short notice.”

“She is very curious about your world.” Twilight said. “I look forward to hearing more, myself.”

“Well then, I would be happy to share some of my knowledge with you.” Anivia said with a nod. “But for now, I am more concerned with finding a way home.”

“Of course.” Twilight said. “Business before pleasure, right?”

“Indeed.” Anivia agreed.

When the train pulled into the station, there was already a group of royal guards waiting to escort the group to the castle. As they proceeded through the city, everypony they passed dropped what they were doing to gawk at Anivia.

Just as the attention began to become uncomfortable, the group arrived at the palace gates. Once inside and away from prying eyes, Twilight turned to face Anivia. “I’m sorry about that. Everypony is just curious about you. I’m sure they didn’t mean to stare.”

“Twilight, you really must stop apologizing for everything.” Anivia said, chuckling slightly. “I am fine, and their curiosity is not unexpected. Very few are used to seeing me even on my own world. I am used to being considered… Unapproachable.”

“Unapproachable?” Twilight asked. “That sounds lonely.”

“When one has lived for as long as I have, loneliness becomes more of a comfort than a burden.” Anivia said, ruffling her icy down slightly.

“But you have friends on your world, don’t you?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Yes, in a sense.” Anivia said, closing her eyes. “Ashe. She leads the largest current tribe in my homeland. She is wise beyond her years, but that will not last.”

“Whatever do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“She is mortal.” Anivia said, closing her eyes as she began walking towards the castle. “Eventually, time catches up with all mortal beings. I have found it better not to become overly attached. It helps with the pain later on.”

“But what about-” Twilight began before Anivia cut her off with a wing.

“I do not wish to speak further on this. Let us meet your princess.” Anivia said, staring down at the small alicorn.

“R-right. Okay.” Twilight said, taking the lead as they entered the castle.


“Twilight Sparkle, it is always a pleasure to see you.” Princess Celestia said, rising from her throne and approaching the entering group of ponies.

“The pleasure is ours, Celestia.” Twilight said as her friends bowed.

“I see you are becoming more accustomed to your new station.” Celestia said, observing that Twilight did not bow with her friends. “This pleases me very much to see. But where might your new acquaintance be?” she asked, looking around for an unfamiliar sight.

“I am here.” Anivia said, finally coming through the doorway. “I am not as mobile as I prefer when out of my element. No matter. My name is Anivia, and I humbly request your assistance.”

“Greetings, Anivia.” Celestia said, walking closer to her. “I am princess Celestia, and I am honored to welcome you to Equestria.” she said, briefly bowing her head politely. “I am not sure what help I can provide, but I would be happy to assist anypony in need.”

“You are very kind.” Anivia said. “But I suspect you will want something from me in exchange?”

“In a way, yes.” Celestia said. “If I understand correctly from Twilight’s letter, you are not from our world. I am very curious about what your world is like.”

“So you wish to hear of Runeterra?” Anivia asked. “I have lived for a long time, and I have learned much. Ask whatever questions you need of me.”

“Actually, I’m afraid that won’t be quite enough.” Celestia said. “If I am to create a spell to send you home, I will need to know first hoof what your world is like. If I cannot attune myself to your world’s magic, you could end up anywhere.”

“I see.” Anivia said, bringing the tip of a wing to rest under her beak as she thought.

“If you would allow it,” Celestia said, stepping closer once again, “it would be most beneficial if I could see directly into your mind.”

“I believe I have experience in what you suggest.” Anivia said, bringing her wing back to her side. “In my world, the Institute of War once used what were called Judgments to determine if someone was eligible to join the League of Legends as a Champion.” She explained. “Though I was not required to submit to a Judgment, I am familiar with the concept.”

“I’ve never used this spell on a being quite like yourself before.” Celestia said. “I may not be able to filter out what I need to see, and what you wish to remain private.”

“I will have no use for privacy if I never return home.” Anivia said. “What you see in my mind will be for you to live with. I already do.”

“Very well then.” Celestia said as her horn glowed a bright golden color. “Please, relax your mind.” she said as both hers and Anivia’s visions went dark.


When Anivia opened her eyes, she was back in her familiar nest on the top of the Ironspike mountain range. “That could not have been a dream.” Anivia said, shaking her head lightly.

“Your home is very beautiful.” Celestia said, admiring the snowflakes as they fell around her. “But so far up in these mountains; I assume you don’t entertain much.” she said with a smirk.

“I suppose I do not.” Anivia said, stretching her wings in the familiar breeze. “Still, it is home to me.”

“And this place is called the Freljord?” Celestia asked.

“That is correct.” Anivia said, nodding. “This is a land rich with history. But also with blood.”

“I can feel that.” Celestia said, shivering briefly. “Many wars have been fought here. This entire world feels like it is in pain.”

“That is why the League of Legends exists.” Anivia said, approaching Celestia from behind. “They hope to keep this pain from worsening while others try to right what has gone wrong.”

“And while others continue to do wrong as well.” Celestia said as the sky began to darken. “I feel a disturbing presence. We are not safe here.” She said, her horn glowing again.

Anivia had to shield her eyes as the light from Celestia’s horn became too intense to bear. She heard a pained screech for a moment before the ground shifted from under her. When the earth stopped moving, Anivia and Celestia were standing in a forested area.

“This place is strange.” Celestia said, looking around at the foliage. “It is natural, but yet… There are powerful magics at work here.”

“This is Summoner’s Rift.” Anivia explained. “It is the most commonly used location for battles waged between Champions.”

“So you have fought here before as well?” Celestia asked.

“I have been summoned here many times.” Anivia said. “When I am, fighting is inevitable. It is simply the way things are in modern Valoran.”

“I see.” Celestia said. “Your realm is very violent.”

“Violence is necessary on occasion.” Anivia said, looking over at Celestia again. “If not for the League, I imagine Valoran would have been torn apart ages ago. The Rune Wars that preceded the League were the very definition of magical brutality.”

The sky began to darken once more as Anivia spoke. A cruel, chilling wind was sent rushing through the trees. “We must not linger in any one memory too long.” Celestia said as her horn glowed once more. “There is something unfamiliar to you taking root in your thoughts. Beware of it,” she said just before they were engulfed in a white light.

As the light receded, the two were left standing in a snowy field, the white plane broken only by a mound of rough stones jutting from the ground. “This is not a recent memory.” Anivia said, staring at the stone. “It is ancient; from many lifetimes ago.”

“Is this a significant landmark?” Celestia asked, approaching the stone.

“Only to those who know of it.” Anivia said, ruffling her icy feathers a bit.

Princess Celestia brought a hoof up to wipe some snow from the face of the stone. As she did, she uncovered a strange sigil beneath.

“Anivia, what does this symbol mean?” Celestia asked.

“Avarosa.” Anivia said. “She was the first true queen of the Freljord. And she was assassinated many eons ago.” she said, bowing her head.

“It sounds like she left an impression on you.” Celestia said.

“She was a truly magnificent woman. But she was betrayed by her own sister.” Anivia said, her voice becoming harsh.

“Her sister?” Celestia asked, thoughts of her own younger sibling running through her mind.

“Yes.” Anivia said. “Her name is Lissandra. She is the reason Avarosa is no longer with us. And more recently,” she said, pointing to her horn, “the source of this unsightly scar.”

“I meant to ask about your horn.” Celestia said. “It’s magic is unlike what I sensed from you on the whole.”

“It worries me somewhat.” Anivia said. “It should not still be here after my rebirth in your world.”

As she spoke, the skies began to darken one more time. “It is here.” Celestia said.

“No!” Anivia boomed, spreading her wings wide and whipping the snow around into a massive blizzard. “This memory is sacred! I shall not allow it to be sullied!”

“I am sorry, Anivia.” Celestia said as her horn glowed one final time. Just as the light overwhelmed Anivia’s vision, she felt the cold recede and another anguished screech echo through her mind. And then everything was dark.


“NO!” Anivia shouted, causing the six ponies around her to jump in surprise.

“Anivia, calm yourself please.” Celestia said. “We are back in Canterlot. And I have seen all that I needed to see.”

“I apologize.” Anivia said, bowing her head to Celestia. “That was… Not what I expected to go through.”

“I should be the one apologizing.” Celestia said with a shake of her head. “It was not my intent to upset you.”

“What happened?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah.” Rainbow Dash said. “You both just kind of stood there and stared off into space.”

“Until you gave us that scare just now, that is.” Applejack added, retrieving her hat from where it had fallen.

“I’ve gotten a good idea of how to begin developing a spell to return you to your homeworld.” Celestia said. “It will take some time for me to stabilize a portal, however. In the meantime, I would like you all to keep Anivia company.”

“You want her to stay with us?” Twilight asked, looking over to her friends.

“Indeed.” Celestia said. “I believe that spending some time with our guest with prove to be an educational experience for everypony involved. That goes for you as well, Anivia.”

“Far be it from me to question you.” Anivia said. “This is your realm, so I shall follow your direction.”

“I thank you for being so amenable.” Celestia said with a smile. “And what of the rest of you? Thoughts? Concerns?”

“I think we can handle things.” Twilight said. “I’m sure we’d all be happy to show her around.” She said, gaining nods from each of her friends.

“Then I will leave you all to it.” Celestia nodded. “If you will excuse me, I believe I have a spell to ready.” She said as she turned and left the room, the door closing gently behind her.


“Halt!” A crystal pony guard commanded as Lissandra approached. “What kind of creature are you?” She asked as she raised a spear to the ice witch.

“I should ask the same of you, little mare.” Lissandra said. “What exactly is this place?”

“You stand outside the gates of the crystal empire.” The guard said. “And outside is where you will remain unless you resign yourself to my custody.”

“But can you not see that I am unarmed?” Lissandra asked, slowly raising her hands and showing them to be empty. “I am but lost in this tundra and looking for shelter.” She said as a sheet of ice began spreading from beneath her, unbeknownst to the pony opposing her.

“I can’t afford to take chances.” The guard said. “If you surrender yourself to me, then I will make sure you are well taken care of until such a time as you can be released.”

“Well I’m afraid that just won’t work out for me.” Lissandra said as she snapped her fingers. When she did, great shafts of ice rose from around the pony guard and lifted her into the air, suspending her in place.

“What sorcery is this?!” The guard shouted as her spear fell to the snow.

“This is the pure raw power of black ice.” Lissandra said, lifting herself up to eye level with the restrained pony. “A power that I control. And a power that you will respect.” She said, touching a finger to the pony’s forehead and coating her in black ice.

“Unhoof me you vile-” The guard tried to protest before being completely entombed.

Lissandra chuckled softly at her captive as she lowered her to the ground. “So defiant. We’ll see how long that lasts.” She said as she dragged both herself and her prisoner under the snow and ice. “I have many questions about you and your world. And you are going to cooperate, one way or another.”

Author's Note:

Chapter 3 got done sooner than I expected! Anyways, I'm loving the fact that people seem to be enjoying the story. Please, don't be too shy to leave me a comment with your thoughts so far.

Expect my updates to come a bit more slowly in the future. For now though, the next chapter will probably be done sometime soon after the weekend if all goes well.

Look forward to it!