• Published 14th Mar 2014
  • 1,123 Views, 15 Comments

The Long Arm - Flynt Coal



The Sheriff of Dodge Junction gets pulled into the investigation of two murders at the hands of human hunters, where he must deal with duplicitous government agencies and come to terms with his morals.

  • ...
6
 15
 1,123

Of The Law

“The more things change, the more they stay the same…” Despite the cliche quality of the words, Shining Badge could not deny the amount of truth to them.

Indeed, things in Equestria had changed considerably since their nation… neigh, their world made first contact with the human race. In just a few years human technology had found its way into the hooves of the ponies of Equestria. Even as far out as Shining Badge’s home of Dodge Junction, ponies were often seen walking around with the latest human gadgets (which for some reason, all seemed to be preceded by a lower case i). Computers had even been installed in Shining’s office, much to the tan stallion’s chagrin.

And yet, much was the same. The grisly black and white photos of two dead ponies on Shining’s desk in front of him were just like the others he’d seen over his forty year career. A unicorn stallion whom Shining Badge had known to be a bank manager named Lucky Star lay in a puddle of his own blood in one of the photos. Beside the late Lucky lay his wife; a pegasus mare named Stamps with an arrow from a crossbow in her neck. As Dodge Junction’s resident mailmare, Shining and his wife had gotten to know Stamps fairly well. He would miss the short conversations they would share in the mornings when she’d deliver their mail.

The worst part of it all was that the young couple had left behind a foal; a pegasus filly named Cinnamon not much older than a year. With no other living relatives, the filly would become a part of Equestria's deeply flawed National Orphanage System. There were simply too many orphaned foals and not enough parents willing to adopt. If he were younger, perhaps Shining Badge would have adopted her himself. However, he and his wife had already raised foals of their own and watched them go off into the world to start their own families.

Shining Badge brushed aside a strand of gray hair that had fallen in front of his eyes as he looked back down at the crime scene photos. There was one aspect of the stomach churning murders that set them apart from all of the others Shining had seen over his long career. Aside from the arrow in Stamps, their bodies were riddled with the small metal projectiles that came from human “guns.” Thankfully, such terrifying weapons had not fallen into the hooves of Equestrians outside of the military (that he was aware of), but this fact only confirmed what had Shining Badge so worried: The murderers had to be human.

It wasn’t that Shining Badge had anything against humans. The few who had visited Dodge Junction had proved to be very kind and courteous, but the stories and myths about humans were older than Shining’s grandfather, his grandfather before him, and his grandfather before him. That the bipedal race could not only create such deadly and efficient weapons but also use them on innocent ponies did not do much to dissuade ancient fears.

“I’m heading out for the night, Sheriff,” the voice of one of his deputies roused Shining from his thoughts, and he looked up at the blue stallion standing in the doorway to his office.

Night Stick was one of the newer ponies on his team. A good kid, despite his knack for making inappropriate comments when he thought Shining wasn’t listening. The Sheriff grunted and nodded as a reply and Night Stick turned to leave, but then quickly reappeared in his doorway.

“Better look busy, boss. Looks like you’ve got a visitor,” Night Stick glanced out into the front lobby again before muttering under his breath. “And she ain’t exactly an eyesore…”

Pretending not to have heard the young stallion’s latter comment, Shining Badge nodded. “Send her in.”

Night Stick was promptly gone from the doorway and Shining Badge put away the unsightly photos on his desk before moving to straighten out the organized chaos. He heard the sound of delicate yet authoritative hoofsteps as his visitor approached and Shining found himself reaching to adjust the gold star pinned to his white button-up shirt. It was a nervous habit, and Shining was indeed nervous. A mysterious visitor to his office at this late hour could only mean trouble.

Shining Badge straightened up and forced his mustache-covered face into a smile as the unicorn mare entered. As Night Stick had said, she was indeed easy on the eyes. Her coat was a dark turquoise and she had a long black mane with streaks of gold matching her eyes. Shining Badge stood and politely greeted her.

“Sheriff Shining Badge?” She asked in a vaguely Trottingham accent. When Shining nodded in response, the unicorn continued. “Magus Golden Rule. Mage’s Guild.”

Shining raised his brow and head in understanding. “Oh, so your office received my flame fax?”

As was routine for a big case like this, Shining had sent word to the Mage's Guild for their assistance. Magical forensics often worked better when one had trained mages. Of course, Shining realized that this would be where his involvement in the case would end, considering that the perpetrators were in all likeliness no longer in Dodge.

“Yes. Would you mind if I took a look at the case file?” Golden Rule spoke politely, but her tone made the words sound more like a statement than a request.

The Sheriff decided to take the opportunity to use the new computer on his desk. If he was expected to use the infernal thing he might as well start now. Shining moved the mouse and attempted to open a drop down menu as Night Stick had taught him. He clicked too many times and the list of options was gone as quickly as it appeared.

“Whoops, hold on…” the older stallion rasped.

Golden Rule gave Shining Badge a patient look as he attempted to bring down the drop down menu again but somehow brought up a window with several specs on the blank document he had open.

“Wait…”

Shining Badge attempted to bring down the menu a third time but the computer made a loud, startling noise in protest as the specs window flashed for his attention. Shining glared at the infuriating device as it sat there, silently mocking him.

“Dammit.... Spent a career facing criminals and murderers only to get beaten by some magic lightning box...”

Rather than glare impatiently, Golden Rule offered an amused smile. Shining Badge on the other hoof had run out of patience for the human device and elected to reach into his desk drawer for the hard copy of the files. He was glad that he'd gotten one of his ponies to print off the files for him earlier. Shining then moved to the evidence locker behind him and pulled out the tightly sealed clear plastic bags while Golden Rule went over the files with an unreadable expression on her face.

“I take it you’ll want to see the crime scene evidence?” Shining asked, placing a bag of blood coated bullets on the desk, along with one containing a similarly coated arrow, and another with a single stamped out cigarette. “I also have eyewitnesses - myself among them - stating to have seen two armed humans in town the day of the murders, as well as ponies who heard the distant gunshots.”

Golden Rule lifted the evidence in a golden magical glow and silently appraised them before finally setting them down. “This is good. Once I have a magical forensics team examine these we should have sufficient evidence to convict the bastards that did this.”

A solitary eyebrow disappeared into Shining Badge’s gray mane. “You already have suspects?”

Golden Rule reached into her own saddle bags and produced a file. Right away Shining Badge recognized the large and heavily tattooed humans in the photos.

“Dale and Vernon Delford. Brothers,” Golden Rule stated. “Self-proclaimed ‘big game hunters.’ Previously imprisoned in their home state of Alabama for multiple cases of assault and hunting without a license. They’ve reportedly entered Equestria in direct violation of their parole. Most recently spotted in Apploosa.”

Shining Badge studied the photos, remembering their faces. There was a certain hateful, savage look to them that put him ill at ease. “They certainly look the part.”

“Indeed. Once all of our evidence is in order, it should be a simple matter of apprehending them,” Golden Rule leaned forward. “That’s where we come in.”

This time, both eyebrows found their way to Shining Badge’s forehead. “We?”

Golden Rule picked up the files of the Delford brothers and put them away, “Yes, I would very much like it if you accompanied me to Apploosa to lend me your assistance in apprehending the suspects.”

It wasn’t unusual for mages from the Guild to seek assistance from local law enforcement ponies when chasing fugitives to other towns. However, even though the murders occurred in his town, seeking his assistance like this was still unusual.

“With all due respect, wouldn’t Apploosa’s own Sherrif be more well-suited to assist you with this?”

“Perhaps….” Golden Rule said, thoughtfully pacing the office. Her horn then glowed again and another file found its way from her saddlebag to Shining Badge’s desk. The name and the photo on the file made his eyes grow bigger for a moment.

It was him.

“I always do my research. As such, I looked over your career record before arriving… up to and including your final case as Chief Detective in Baltimare...”

Shining Badge tensed up and gave the mare a firm look, knowing full well where this conversation was going. “Look, I’ve already had plenty of ponies voice their disapproval of my actions. I don't need yours added to it! Even today, I stand by what I did, and would do it all again if I had to.”

Instead giving him verbal lashing and disapproving looks, Golden Rule smiled in his direction. “I’m glad you feel that way...”

At Shining’s puzzled head tilt, Golden Rule elected to explain further. “After concluding my research, I found that the Sheriff of Apploosa doesn’t have as much of a… strong sense of justice as you do.”

Golden Rule paced back so that she was once again face to face with the old Sheriff. “That’s the kind of pony I want helping me: one who will ensure that the culprits face justice - our justice - no matter the cost. It was your friends that were killed, right? Seems only fitting that you be there.”

Shining noticed that his right hoof was once again playing with his badge at that moment and hastily lowered it. He wasn’t sure why this mage wanted his help, but he couldn’t deny that she was right about one thing. He wanted to be there to see the bastards pay for so carelessly ending the life of two ponies he considered friends.

Golden Rule packed up her saddlebags and turned toward the door. “I can give you one day to make your decision while my forensics team analyzes the evidence. I can’t spare more time than that, though. I fear our window is rapidly shrinking….”

═╬═

When Shining Badge arrived home that night, he told his wife about Golden Rule’s visit and subsequent offer. Even next to the advice of all of the ponies he worked with, Chalk Board was among Shining’s most trusted counsel. Nopony else knew him like she did and even as the pink mare’s white mane faded to a dull gray alongside his, Shining still thought of her as the most beautiful pony in Equestria.

Most importantly, Chalk Board had supported him through every decision he’d made, even the ones that had been decidedly... less than honest. Thus, it greatly surprised Shining Badge when she expressed her opinion on the matter that night as they lay in bed together.

“You shouldn’t go.”

Shining Badge looked up from his book and made a few unintelligible grunts before he continued. “If there’s something I can do to help get Lucky and Stamps’ killers I’m going to do it!”

“I know… whoever made Cinnamon an orphan needs to pay, but….” Chalk looked away. “I don’t like the sound of this ‘Golden Rule’ mare.”

Shining just smiled and leaned over to give his wife a kiss before wrapping the aging mare in a loving embrace. “Look, she’s pretty but she’s got nothing on you.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Chalk pulled away from the embrace, but only so she could look into her husband’s eyes. “You said she brought up Baltimare…”

Shining gave her a quizzical look. “I already told you she’s not interested in that old stuff. If anything she praised my decision.”

The words did not have the reassuring effect that Shining Badge intended. Instead, Chalk Board’s frown only deepened.

“That’s what I’m worried about....”

═╬═

Shining Badge brushed aside a stray strand of blond hair from his eyes as he sat before the desk of Commissioner Iron Post, idly playing with his silver Baltimare Detective’s badge. The well-dressed white pegasus stallion with a blue mane and glared at him disapprovingly. It took all of Shining’s resolve not to let his gaze wander out of the large window overlooking Baltimare. Or to the clean, orderly desk between them. Anywhere but his superior’s eyes.

“We both know why you’re here…” Iron Post simply said. “I can’t keep turning a blind eye to your unethical conduct, Shining!”

“I know…” Shining Badge’s ears folded back. He swallowed and forced himself to meet the Commissioner’s eyes. “But you can’t deny that what I did was the right thing. Young Tick-Tock is better off now than if I’d done nothing!”

“But at what cost?” Iron Post sighed and ran a hoof through his mane. Shining knew that a very large part of Iron’s conscience agreed with him. But he also knew that an even larger part was bound by his job. “Shining, you can’t just take the law into your own hooves because it’s easy! As enforcers of the law, it’s our responsibility to uphold it!”

“It’s our responsibility to protect ponies!”

Iron Post shook his head and looked at his old friend with remorse. “I’m sorry, Shining… not anymore. Not for you.”

Without saying anything more, Iron Post reached across his desk and waited. With a defeated sigh, Shining reached for his badge. Rather than fidget with it, he gently removed it and placed it in the Commissioner’s hoof.

═╬═

One day passed unusually quickly. Shining Badge had gone to bed the previous night seriously considering Chalk’s words. Then he woke up the next morning to greet the mailmare and found himself exchanging simple pleasantries with a pegasus stallion he’d never met. Never before had banal greetings with a stranger been so painful.

So when Golden Rule returned to his office that evening with her findings (the bullets, arrow, and the cigarette did indeed bear the prints of the Delford brothers) Shining Badge gave her his answer. “When do we leave?”

They left the following morning. Shining Badge now sat across from Golden Rule on the train to Apploosa. The weathered stallion was wearing his brown duster and hat. He removed his gaze from the featureless desert landscape moving past the window and allowed it to fall on Golden Rule. The turquoise unicorn was holding some sort of small blue gem the size of a bead that glowed with an otherworldly light as she worked her magic over it.

“It’s a commune stone,” Golden Rule said before he could even ask. “It’s a rather rare mineral that can be enchanted to relay sound between another just like it.” She reached into the bag sitting next to her and pulled out an identical bead-sized blue rock. “The few unicorns who had access to commune stones used them to communicate over long distances.”

Shining Badge gave a single chuckle. “I guess with the humans and their fancy, new-fangled smart-phones those rocks are kinda obsolete now.”

Golden Rule gave a serene smile. “They can have… other applications.”

The unicorn mare deemed not to comment further, and Shining Badge took it as a sign not to ask. After a few more seconds of silence, Shining decided to speak up.

“So, you’ve looked at my record and know all about me, but you haven’t told me anything about yourself, yet.”

Golden set down her stone and gave another smile and a shrug. “Not much to tell, really. Became an apprentice mage at fifteen. Wasn’t the top of my class, but I worked hard and was especially proficient with incendiary spells. I was actually offered a job recently working under an ambassador to Human Earth named Heartstrings, but I turned it down. I’m not exactly a fan of working close to… them.”

“Humans?” Golden nodded in response. “You afraid of them?”

“Not exactly. I’m not gonna lie; I do disike them. My grandmother always used to scare me with stories about them when I was a filly and its kinda hard to just forget the whole Lost Foal thing. I mean, what gives them the right to keep the filly some poor mare lost?”

Realizing she was working herself up, Golden Rule closed her eyes and collected herself. “Don’t worry though. I’m able to keep my opinions separate from my work.”

The remainder of the trip passed in relatively companionable silence until they reached their destination. Shining’s jaw slowly found its way open as he looked out the window at Apploosa.

When he last visited in his youth, Apploosa was a mere trading post with only a few buildings around the main fort. Now, it had the look of a modern town! It still lacked the large amount of skyscrapers in cities like Manehattan or Fillydelphia, but concrete buildings and paved roads extended every which way. Apple trees dotted the streets serving as mere decorations, unlike the forests that had been planted for harvesting just beyond the town proper.

Upon leaving the train platform, Shining Badge and Golden Rule were approached by an orange mare wearing an olive-green uniform; the now standard for the Equestrian Military.

“Magus Golden Rule?” she asked. When the military pony received a nod in reply, she promptly stood straight and saluted. “Corporal Flintlock. I’ve been assigned to take you to the embassy…”

Flintlock trailed off as she noticed Shining Badge standing there for the first time. “Can I help you, old timer? You lookin' for the bathroom or somethin'?”

“Mr. Badge here is with me, Corporal,” Golden Rule said before Shining could get a word out himself.

“Oooooh… Sorry ‘bout that. It’s just… my superiors told me it was just you, Magus.”

“It’s quite alright,” Golden Rule gave the young Corporal a reassuring smile.

“As long as you don’t call me ‘old timer’ again,” Shining added.

Without further words, the military pony led Golden Rule and Shining Badge out of the train station. Waiting for them at the bottom of the steps to the station entrance was yet another thing Shining hadn’t been expecting to see in Apploosa: a metal carriage on four rubber wheels. The automobile was yet another curious human invention that had made its way to Equestria. While Dodge Junction was still a relatively small enough town to not warrant the need for such machines, Shining was still aware of their existence in the larger towns in Equestria. It didn’t make the sight of one any stranger for the older pony, who would have preferred to ride in a good old fashioned horse-drawn carriage any day of the week.

“Don’t look so nervous, old timer. It won’t eat you!” Flintlock said with a playful grin. His trepidation must have been easier to read than he thought. On top of that, Flintlock had all but ignored his earlier request. Shining merely gave the young mare an annoyed grunt in response. Young ponies… Were she one of his officers, Shining would be sure to set Flintlock straight.

Ignoring the old stallion’s noise of disapproval, Flintlock opened the passenger’s side door and climbed in. Shining Badge and Golden Rule entered the back seat. Another similarly uniformed pony sat in the driver’s seat, eyes closed and head leaned back.

“Rise and shine, Private! EQMILCOM isn’t paying us to nap!” Flintlock stated.

The stallion behind the wheel slowly opened his eyes as if the weight of the world was on his lids. Flintlock put a hoof on his shoulder and gave the Private a couple of light shakes.

“There he is! How ya feeling, champ? How's that victory hangover?”

“I wish I was dead….” The Private groaned with an agony that Shining Badge knew all too well.

“Yeah? Well, the CO might grant your wish if we don’t get these two to the consul on time so… ONWARD HO!” Flintlock gave her beleaguered colleague several jabs in the side, “HI HO SILVER!”

With a sigh, the Private started the car and pulled away. At the mention of their destination, Shining shifted in his seat and looked over at Golden Rule.

“So, how does meeting the human consul help us find the Delford Brothers?”

“If they’re looking to leave Equestria, the Human Consulate is the first place they’d likely try to go. While I think it’s unlikely, I think we should check to make sure our quarry hasn’t left the country. Either way, I want to make sure we find them before the humans get involved.”

Flintlock turned around and looked over the shoulder of her seat at them. “It might interest you to know that our objective after dropping you two off is to pick up agents from some human agency or something.”

“What, like the CIA?” Shining didn’t really know what a lot of the initials in the human agencies stood for, but he’d heard them mentioned plenty of times.

“No, they’re not CIA or FBI or anything. They’re from some agency I’ve never heard of.”

Once again, Shining Badge misliked the sound of that. “And where exactly are you supposed to be taking these people once they arrive?”

═╬═

The Human Consulate was tall compared to the other Apploosan buildings, but it was still no skyscraper, standing at perhaps seven stories. The architecture was reminiscent of the large, columned structures of old Pegasopololis. There was a certain level of modern utilitarianism that seemed to match what little Shining Badge had seen of human architecture. Most notably of all was the fact that the consulate appeared to still be under construction. Much of the building’s facade was covered in wooden scaffolding like a second wall.

A small group of ponies were waiting to meet Shining and Golden out front of the consulate when Flintlock and her partner dropped them off. A dark purple unicorn stallion with large round glasses obscuring his eyes stood among a few mages and a large earth pony wearing a Sheriff’s badge and a large cowboy hat with sideburns stood with a pair of his deputies.

“Thank you all for meeting us here as requested,” Golden Rule stated before raising a hoof to Shining Badge. “This is Shining Badge, Dodge Junction’s Sheriff and head of the investigation there.”

Shining raised a hoof, nodded and tried his best to force his lips into a smile. Golden then proceeded to introduce Shining to the rest of the ponies present. The purple unicorn stallion who had a group of shooting stars on his flank was her associate Star Storm; the unicorns with him part of the local branch of the Mage’s Guild. The large earth pony stallion was Apploosa’s Sheriff Clayburn; the ponies with him his top officers.

Once introductions were made, Golden Rule led the entire posse into the Human Consulate. Soon, the group found themselves waiting in a boardroom. Golden Rule sat at the head of the table on the far side from the door. The two seats nearest her were occupied by Star Storm and Clayburn. Shining Badge sat between Clayburn and one of his ponies.

Playing with his Sheriff’s badge again, Shining found himself wondering what it was Golden Rule thought he might bring to the table. Currently, the others were engaged in idle chatter and seemed to have forgotten he was even there at all. After several minutes of waiting, the door to the boardroom opened and a group of well dressed humans entered.

“Sorry to keep all of you waiting,” said a woman in a dull brown suit jacket and skirt with faded blond hair. “For those of you who don’t know, I’m Consul Carol Shepry.”

The consul sat down at the head of the table opposite to Golden Rule and the men in business suits with her took seats at the table around her. Golden Rule stood and smiled warmly. However, there was a certain stiffness to her posture that wasn’t present when she’d first met Shining. “Nice to see you again, Shepry. How have things been lately?”

“Well, the Consulate’s nearly finished being built. We’ve fallen behind on the construction of the local portal to Human-Earth, though.”

“I’m afraid that’s my doing, ambassador,” Star Storm spoke up. “I had to pull some mages off the construction team to assist in the hunt for the fugitives.”

“Right, and that would bring us to why we are here….” As Golden Rule continued explaining the details of the case that Shining Badge already knew, the old Sheriff found himself growing more and more perturbed at how his presence continued to go unnoticed even as real discussion began. It was as if he had become a mere set piece. The way Golden Rule had spoken to him back in Dodge Junction made him think his presence would be of some import.

“Well, it might interest you to know that we currently have Dale and Vernon Delfort in custody here at the Consulate.”

These surprising words from Consul Shepry shook Shining from his thoughts and brought him back to the present. “That right?”

Shepry eyed Shining with some uncertainty before Clayburn spoke up. “Yep, slippery bastards fled in here when mah ponies gave ‘em the chase.”

“It would have been a smart move, but I don’t think they were counting on word of their parole violations to reach us so quickly,” Shepry added.

“Regardless, that works out rather nicely,” Golden Rule grinned. “If you just give them over to us now, we can be on our way!”

Shepry frowned. “I’m afraid it’s not quite that simple. As it happens, someone else has recently arrived with an interest in the Delford brothers.”

“Really? And just who might that be?”

“Uh, that’d be me!” the smooth, gravelly voice speaking in a dry, sarcastic tone drew everyone’s attention to the doorway.

Shining Badge squinted skeptically at the man standing in the doorway, casually leaning against the frame with his arms folded. The man was dressed in a dark blue jacket over a vest and tie. Shining thought he looked like an older man, perhaps not as old as he was but older than the other humans present. The man only had a little bit of hair around the sides of his head, leaving the top of it bald. Shining was glad most ponies’ manes remained on their heads even in old age.

The newcomer pushed himself off of the doorframe he was leaning against and strode into the room, holding up a badge with three letters on it, “Agent Frank Justus, BEI.”

“And who let you in?” Golden Rule asked warily.

“This is a human consulate, my little pony,” Justus said with a pleasant smile. One that seemed a little too pleasant to Shining Badge, “and the good consul here asked me to join you!”

As the agent spoke, Consul Shepry stood to greet him. The two shook hands and Justus gave her a friendly pat on the arm and a warm smile. “So nice to see you again, Carol!”

“Likewise, Frank.” Shepry responded quickly. She didn’t speak with the same warm tones as Justus, though.

“Sorry, what exactly is the…?” Clayburn started.

“Bureau of Extradimensional Investigations,” Justus answered. “Not surprised you haven’t heard of us. We’re a fairly newly established agency,”

“The BEI was recently founded with the intentions of keeping humans from exploiting Alter Earth and its resources. Gems and minerals that are common here but all too rare back on Earth have given people reason to engage in… less than legitimate trade with Alter Earth factions. Stuff like arming mercenary groups here is obviously bad for Equestria and the rare gems humans receive in exchange are bad for our global economy,” Shepry returned to her seat at the head of the table while Agent Justus opted to remain standing beside her.

“In the interests of apprehending humans who make such dealings, my agency has special rights to operate within Equestria’s borders. In direct cohesion with the Mage’s Guild of course,” Justus stated. “Which brings us to the reason why I’m here.”

“The Delford brothers are suspected to be involved with a human group providing guns to a mercenary faction operating in Equestria called Black Fang. Frank is here to take them back to Human Earth for questioning in this matter as well as to be returned to prison for their parole violations,” Shepry explained. Justus gave the gathered ponies another winning smile. A smile that seemed far too close to a smirk.

Golden Rule gave the man a hard look. “And what about the murders? What will their punishment be for that?”

Agent Justus gave a casual shrug that made Shining Badge grit his teeth at the pure... smugness of it. “Normally there wouldn’t be much we could do about that. However, I could take advantage of the fact that my agency works so closely with your office, and see if I can get the case files for those murders. That should help make sure they are adequately punished for their crimes.”

Finally having had enough of riding along in the back seat of this meeting, Shining Badge spoke up. “And why can’t you hand them over to us? It was our ponies that they killed! One of our foals that they orphaned!” He rasped. “Are we supposed to just walk away with nothing?”

Justus eyed Shining Badge curiously for a moment before deadpanning. “Uh… yeah.”

“If you’re concerned about questioning the Delfords about the smuggling group you think they’re involved with, the Mage’s Guild would have no qualms with letting you come in to interrogate them yourself. If our offices are going to be working together even more in the future, it might be prudent to begin now," Golden Rule leaned forward, the look she gave Justus seemed almost challenging despite her calm demeanor. "Let Equestria prosecute the brothers and we’ll make sure you get everything you need to find these smugglers of yours.”

The man shook his head. “No. That would be unnecessary. We already have them in human custody now. It would be more prudent for me to interrogate them today as I’d planned rather than later on after they’re in your custody,” Justus folded his arms. “No, it would be better for the Mage’s Guild to just give me a copy of the case files for the murders and let the government of Alabama sort them out," Justus gave another smile. "Don't you worry. There will be other opportunities for us to work together.”

To Shining’s surprise, Golden Rule slammed both forelegs on the table and stood. “It’s not about what’s easier, it’s about what’s right! They killed ponies, so they should answer to ponies!”

The room grew silent as Golden Rule stared Frank Justus down. Shining Badge wasn’t even sure she’d realized she was yelling until she finished her little tirade. Justus for his part, remained standing in place with his arms folded. He gave a single snort.

“‘What’s right...’” Justus lowered his arms and leaned forward across the table in a position matching Golden Rule’s. “I have some information for you, Golden Rule. You may want to sit down for this.”

Eyeing the man venomously, Golden Rule nevertheless returned to her seat. Justus then proceeded to give her the most condescending smile he had produced thus far.

“The law is not a means for you to seek petty vengeance. Grow up,” Justus pushed off the table and returned to standing upright.

Just as Golden Rule seemed ready to retaliate with an equally acidic response, Shepry rose a hand and spoke. “That’s enough from both of you!” The consul shot a glare in Justus’ direction before returning her gaze to the rest of the table. “The Delford brothers will remain in human custody and be returned to Human Earth at the earliest convenience. The Mage’s Guild may share the case files pertaining to the murders if it wishes to. That’s the end of this discussion.”

Oddly enough, Golden Rule wasn’t trying to murder Agent Justus with her eyes anymore. She simply allowed a calm smile to return to her face as she opened her briefcase with her telekinesis and brought out a brown envelope.

“Allow me to save you a bit of trouble,” she said as she rose from her seat and trotted across the room to Agent Justus with a copy of the case file enveloped in the golden glow of her magic. Justus snatched it from the air and looked over its contents calmly.

“You can keep that copy of the file, but I’m sure you’ll understand the physical evidence will have to stay with us for the time being,” Golden Rule said.

“This’ll do….” Justus declared, putting away the files with a grin. “Well, this was fun, but I have to get going. I still need to have a chat with our other guests.”

After bidding farewell to Golden Rule and the others as if seeing off old friends, Frank Justus strode out of the room with a slight swagger. As was the case when he entered, all eyes were on him as he exited. This only brought attention to how few eyes were on Shining Badge throughout the entire meeting.

═╬═

The ponies didn’t stay long in the Human Consulate after Frank Justus left them with Shepry. They spent a few more minutes talking as they tied up what loose ends remained. Shepry also made a point of apologizing for Justus’ demeanor.

“Take it from someone who’s known him a long time,” she had said. “Frank’s not a bad guy. He’s very dedicated to what he does. You won’t find a more lawful man.”

In short order, the party of ponies were outside the front entrance to the embassy building, going their separate ways. Shining Badge immediately marched up to Golden Rule, several things to say to her going through his mind and most of them less than cordial. The unicorn mare was exchanging hushed words with her fellow mage Star Storm when he approached.

“What in Tartarus was the point of dragging me all the way here if all I’m gonna do is just sit in on a meeting unnoticed?” Shining struggled to keep his rasping voice even.

Golden Rule waved Star Storm away before turning to face Shining. “Believe it or not, sitting in on a meeting unnoticed was exactly the point of dragging you here.”

Shining Badge tilted his head and brushed some of his mane out of his eyes. “Not entirely sure I follow your thought process there, Golden Rule.”

After looking away briefly in consideration, Golden Rule reached around and began digging through her saddle bag. “What’s your opinion of Frank Justus?”

That the mere mention of the name caused a flick of Shining’s tail was telling. “He certainly was… smiley…”

At this, Golden Rule gave a smile of her own. “I suppose that's one area I can give him credit. Not all of us can be grouchy old stallions, you know!” she chuckled in a light tone as she pulled a familiar object from her saddle bag; the commune stone. Or rather, one of them.

“Here, have a listen,” Golden Rule placed the small rock in Shining’s hoof.

Giving the mare another queer look, Shining Badge raised the stone to his ear and listened. The old Sheriff wasn’t expecting to hear voices so immediately, let alone so clearly.

...Yes, I’m sure you two were just taking a little family trip and simply forgot about the terms of your parole…” the familiar smooth voice within the stone spoke.

“That’s Justus,” Shining muttered. He looked up at Golden Rule, who grinned like a pony all too pleased with herself. “But, how…?”

“The case file wasn’t the only thing I put in that envelope I gave him.”

Shining Badge resumed listening to the voice coming from the tiny stone in his hoof just in time to hear Justus laugh. The sound was as infuriatingly cocky as the smile Shining could see in his mind’s eye.

Oh, we’ll get to your cross-world weapons trafficking soon enough. For now, I have something far juicier!” Justus said as Shining heard the sound of rustling paper. “Tell me, what do you think of this photo? A little macabre, I know. But you have to admit the photography isn’t bad. I for one love the lighting!

You think me and mah brother had somethin’ to do with that?” another voice with a deep southern accent asked.

Shining looked up at Golden Rule. “Is that…?”

“Vernon Delford, I think,” she answered.

You ain’t got shit to prove that was us!” Another voice said in a more raspy, nasally drawl. Most likely Dale.

I don’t… for now. But the Equestrians do. If I were so inclined, I could hand you over to them. I wonder if they have the death penalty here? Nah. They’ll probably lock you up, banish you to some God-forsaken wasteland, or perhaps some combination of the two.

Justus paused, likely allowing this to sink into the minds of the men he was interrogating, “Or… you and your brother could confess. Tell me, who do you think will be more merciful? A human judge or a pony? Who knows? Maybe I can pull some strings and get you a judge with… compatible ideals.

The voices coming from the stone were silent for a time.

What do you care about those fucking animals, anyway?” Vernon asked.

Honestly? I don’t. That’s why you and your brother need to give me a confession: I don’t want to be the first human to lose his prisoners to the geldos any more than I imagine you want to be their first human prisoners.

While the sounds of low murmuring prevailed through the commune stone as Vernon and Dale likely discussed their next move, Shining Badge bristled at the slurs. He expected as much from the people who hunted and killed ponies for sport, but hearing it from a government agent made his blood boil.

Give us a chance to talk with our lawyer in Alabama, and we’ll see about getting you that confession,” Vernon said after some pause.

In that case, I can arrange to have you transported to the nearest working portal tonight...

Deciding he didn’t need to hear any more, Shining Badge lowered the commune stone from his ear and gave it back to Golden Rule.

“You’ve already heard my stance on the situation with the criminals,” Golden Rule asked as she put away the stone. “Tell me, what do you think?”

Shining took some time to consider his answer. “Well, I’d be lying if I said a big part of the reason I came along wasn’t to see those bastards put away myself.”

“Indeed,” Golden Rule nodded once. “I’m not sure what’s worse, that the criminals won’t face our justice, or that with how flawed the human justice system is, the killers will probably walk free in a matter of years…”

“Can you really be sure?” Shining asked. “Justus said…”

“That he cares more about his pride and specism than he does about punishing murderers! You heard him yourself!” Golden Rule’s voice rose a little louder than she likely intended before collecting herself.

“And now they’re being transported elsewhere. Most likely the embassy in Canterlot…” she said contemplatively. The slow, deliberate way the mare spoke seemed to draw in Shining Badge’s curiosity the way his porch lights back in Dodge drew in insects.

“If one were to hijack the prisoners, the time during which they’re being transported would be ideal…”

The only thing that disturbed Shining Badge more than what Golden Rule was suggesting was the fact that he wanted to hear more of it. What she had said made an unsettling amount of sense to Shining in that moment. He wasn’t sure he could live with simply going home and letting the criminals receive a lighter punishment for what they did.

“What are you thinking?”

“Because my interest in acquiring those two prisoners for Equestria is known to both Justus and Shepry, I’d definitely be suspect should they both go missing. I’d need an alibi. The best place for me to be would be in the presence of Shepry, Justus or perhaps both…

“We’d need someone else to intercept the brothers… someone who’d sat in on our meeting nearly unnoticed…”

═╬═

Baltimare’s famed Beanbean Cafe was quiet as Celestia’s sun fell lower in the sky. Shining Badge looked up from his mug of coffee as the pink mare with a vivid white mane and tail took her seat at the table across from him, levitating a cup of tea. In truth, Shining Badge generally preferred tea to coffee but that particular evening he found himself pining for the bitterness of ground beans. Shining stood up to give the mare he loved a kiss; one she responded to stiffly, her mind distant.

“How was your day?” she asked simply before sitting down.

“Can’t complain. Flint made his first arrest this morning. Spent the rest of the day regaling us with his ‘tales of heroism,’” Shining said with a humorous smile, which disappeared when he saw that the mare in front of him wasn’t sharing it.

The school teacher Chalk Board and he had been friends for a long time until a few years ago when they’d become even more. Shining still treasured their little outings even after their anniversary of three years together. Lately though, Chalk Board was looking more and more haggard. Her eyes were dark and puffy from sleeplessness and she stared blankly down into her cup of tea.

“Is everything alright, Chalky?” he asked.

“He had another bruise today…” Chalk Board said in a distant, trembling voice. “Third time this week...”

Shining Badge felt his ears flatten as he reached out and put a comforting hoof on hers. For the better part of the past semester one of Chalk’s students, a colt named Tick-Tock had been periodically arriving to class late with bruises on his body. Shining and Chalk had done everything from talking to the colt’s only parent; a stallion named Clockwork, to issuing a full - and illegal - investigation of their home and came up with nothing. Shining had even ambushed Clockwork one night to give him a warning and a few bruises of his own. That last action hadn’t won him any points with Commissioner Iron Post, but at least Clockwork hadn’t pressed charges.

“Did you talk to him?” Shining asked.

“Just gave me the same vague explanation he always does… it’s like talking to a broken record player,” Chalk Board closed her eyes and gave a trembling sigh. “I don’t know how much more I can take of this…”

“What else can we do?”

Anything!” Fortunately, what few ponies were in the cafe paid Chalk’s outburst little thought. It seemed a while before Shining could find the words to continue.

“Do you think Clockwork’s using again?”

Chalk Board shook her head. “If I can say one thing for the stallion, it’s that he’s actually managed to stay clean since leaving rehab. Hard cider seems to be his choice drug now…”

Shining Badge nodded and took another sip of his coffee as he thought. While alcohol was definitely more legal than what Clockwork used to get up to, it was no less detrimental to his health and more importantly, that of his colt.

“I almost wish he was using again just so you’d have a reason to put the bastard away,” Chalk lamented.

His wife's words suddenly sparked an idea in Shining Badge’s mind as he remembered several pounds of illegal narcotics his office had seized recently, and how he could put them to use now. Chalk Board must have noticed his change in demeanor, because she looked at him with the desperation of a drowning pony reaching for a life raft.

“That might actually work...” Shining smiled.

“What are you going to do?” The pure hope in his wife’s voice removed any doubt from Shining’s mind whether this was the right course.

“I’m going to make a reason to put the bastard away.”

═╬═

Reflecting on the decision that ultimately ended his detective’s career in Baltimare, Shining Badge realized now that his ability to make such a decision was the only reason Golden Rule had brought him along in the first place. It was apparent that Golden Rule had not only expected what had unfolded at the consulate today, but planned for it. This idea sat ill with Shining Badge, but he nevertheless forced himself to focus on the current task and nothing else.

He was already engaged in his part of the plan as he hid in some bushes alongside the train tracks well outside of Apploosa. It was too late to have second thoughts about the plan now that he was here. The sun had lowered and the moon was out. The train carrying the murderers to the Human Embassy in Canterlot would be coming by any moment now.

Shining once again reached up to fidget with his Sheriff’s badge only to remember that it was no longer there. He’d taken it off earlier as a part of the plan. Instead, he picked up the small human device Golden Rule had given him and turned it around in his hoof. The stun grenade was a black metal cylinder lined with holes that Shining was told emitted a bright explosion of light and sound. Shining couldn’t help but wonder what other human weapons the Mage’s Guild had in its possession.

Those thoughts were interrupted by the distant horn of an approaching train. In the distance towards Apploosa, train headlights appeared. As the train got closer, Shining Badge could see that it only had two cars; the conductor’s cabin and one more. The silhouettes of an earth pony pulling team danced in the headlight. Nowadays, most trains ran on steam and some tracks even had the electrically powered rails the humans had invented. When it came to transporting prisoners by train though, Equestria still preferred to use good old fashioned pony-drawn cars. Having a train pulled by a team of combat trained ponies made it much more difficult for inmates to escape or try to hijack the train. However, it also had the drawback of being fairly easy to stop.

This is it.

Swallowing, Shining Badge gripped the lever of the grenade with his hoof and pulled out the safety pin with his teeth as per Golden Rule’s prior instruction. Muttering a few apologetic words to the ponies pulling the approaching train, Shining tossed the stun grenade onto the tracks. He was so curious to see whether he’d finally gotten one of the humans’ new-fangled devices to actually work that he almost forgot to avert his eyes. Almost.

Even with his hoof covering his shut eyes, Shining Badge was still able to see the bright flash of the light explosion through his eyelids. While his eyes were safely shielded, he had nothing protecting his ears. When Shining opened his eyes again, he watched as the blinded and disoriented ponies pulling the train speeding past him tripped and fell over each other in astonishing silence. The speeding train came off the rails, the conductor’s cabin tipping onto its side with a muffled boom obscured by the high pitched ringing in Shining’s ears. The whole scene almost didn't seem real.

The old stallion wasted no time racing towards the second, still upright train car. He had been assured that nopony or nohuman would be killed or too seriously injured from his actions, but Shining knew that many of the ponies pulling the train would be in the hospital for some time after this. He forced these thoughts aside as he climbed onto the back of the second train car and opened the door.

The inside of the car was a mess, with every loose object strewn across the floor and most of the lamps that had been lighting it knocked over and burned out. Immediately Shining saw a human agent in a jacket and tie stagger out of his seat holding a hand to his head. Shining quickly raced up to him, turned around and delivered a hard buck to the man’s chest as he reached into his jacket for his sidearm. The man toppled backwards over his chair and landed painfully on his head.

“What the hell’s goin’ on?”

Handcuffed to the armrests of two seats across from where the human agent had been were two men. One was large and meaty with a dark beard and wore a vest exposing large, tattooed arms. The other was smaller but no less muscular with no hair on his face or head. The Delford brothers.

“Who the fuck are you?” asked the shorter one with no hair. Dale Delford if Shining remembered correctly.

Shining Badge said nothing as he walked over to the unconscious form of the human he’d just knocked out, searching his pockets for the keys to their cuffs. Shining took a collective breath as he found the keys. Now was the part of the plan that relied on his acting skills.

“Black Fang sent me to retrieve the two of you,” Shining explained as he began unlocking the cuffs from the murderers’ wrists.

“What for?” the larger brother rumbled. Vernon if he wasn’t mistaken.

“We bought guns from you, remember?” Shining really hoped that information was accurate, and thanked Celestia for his extensive poker experience as he maintained a confident, business-like facade. “This is our way of making sure you don’t expose our operations!”

Vernon folded his arms once they were free of the cuffs and glared at Shining Badge suspiciously as the incognito Sheriff moved on to Dale. “On our world, folks like to tie up loose ends with bullets.”

“And normally we would, but there’s the little issue of most of us not knowing how to use said bullets,” Shining went through what he’d rehearsed with Golden Rule. “That’s where you come in. As experienced hunters, you no doubt know the ins and outs of firearms use and care.”

Shining finished freeing Dale from his cuffs and the hairless human rubbed his wrists and gave the stallion a skeptical look out of the corner of his eye. “So, what? You want us to give yer folks shooting lessons?”

A pained groan came from the other end of the train car as an orange mare Shining hadn’t noticed earlier lay in the middle of the floor slowly struggling to stand. Apparently, she’d been unlucky enough to be on her hooves when the train crashed.

“Look, we can discuss this later! You can either come with me now, or stay here and go back to prison!”

The brothers exchanged brief looks before Vernon stood. “C’mon, little bro!”

Vernon walked toward Shining who turned to lead them out. Shining nearly froze when he heard the clops of unsteady hooves on the floor behind them followed by a shaky voice. “O-old timer?”

Shining Badge turned around and saw Flintlock, the military mare that had escorted him and Golden Rule to the consulate when they first arrived. She stood on unsteady hooves and stared at Shining Badge through one squinting eye. “Wh-what’s going on…?”

Flintlock’s uneven voice was cut off by a cry of pain as Dale Delford swiftly kicked her in the midsection, knocking the military pony onto her side. Immediately, Shining realized there was a problem. Flintlock knew who he was, or at the very least she knew he was with Golden Rule. She could compromise the entire operation. Then to Shining’s extreme horror, Dale solved the problem. The man raised his boot over Flintlock’s head and brought it down hard.

How do you like me now, you Goddamn kickstand? HUH? Think I’m a stupid looking monkey now?!” The man yelled as he brought his boot down on the hapless mare’s head again and again, each strike making an increasingly sickening crunch.

“Dale! Dale! Chill out, brother!” Vernon shouted, grabbing the smaller man by the arm and forcing him off of the still, battered form of the pony. “Save it for next time we go hunting!”

With that, the large man turned and walked toward the back door to the train with his younger brother in tow. Shining Badge suddenly felt something wet touch his hooves, like he was standing in a puddle. Looking down, the weathered stallion discovered that indeed he was; the source of which was flowing from the broken mare before him.

Shining averted his eyes from the scene as quickly as he could and tried to keep up an illusion of indifference. Even as he left the train with the Delford brothers, the image of Flintlock's crushed head lying in a puddle of her blood remained burned in his mind’s eye. This wasn’t the first time Shining Badge had been exposed to gruesome violence in his career. Even so, it was only through sheer strength of will that he managed not to vomit.

═╬═

“Yer lookin’ a little green in the face!” Dale Delford’s drawling voice shook Shining Badge from his thoughts as he walked with the two humans through the orderly planted trees of the apple orchard. The three of them had walked across the desert plain beneath the stars for a couple of hours before they came upon the orchard at the northwestern edge of Apploosa. The fruit-bearing trees were planted in orderly rows and stood on the dark horizon like a waiting army. Now, the trio walked among their ranks.

“You alright there, friend?” Dale asked again.

“We’re not friends,” Shining answered perhaps a little too quickly. The idea that Dale thought of him in any way other than seething, specist hatred unnerved Shining Badge more than if he’d torn into him with all of the hateful pony slurs he knew. Instead, Dale only “psh"ed and kept walking through the rows of trees.

They think I’m one of them. It was good for his and Golden Rule’s plan, but Shining Badge found himself less and less convinced that there was no truth to the idea at all. The image of the mare’s head caved in on the floor of the train wouldn't leave Shining Badge’s thoughts. He looked down at the still drying red stains on his hooves; the same red stains that also covered Dale Delford’s boot.

“So, where’s this contact of yours?” Vernon asked, bringing Shining to the present once more.

“Right here…” Golden Rule’s voice answered as an aura of gold magic enveloped two surprised humans and froze them in place on the ground. Golden Rule herself stepped out from behind a tree ahead of them with her horn glowing and a serene smile on her face. “Dale and Vernon Delford, on behalf of the Mage’s Guild and in the name of the Royal Crown of Equestria I am placing you under arrest for the murder of Lucky Star and Stamps Star.”

Golden Rule briefly glanced Shining Badge’s way. “You did a fine job, Shining.”

Both Delford brothers looked back and forth between Golden Rule and Shining as what just happened dawned on them. Dale turned red in the face. “YOU GELDO FUCKS ARE DEAD! YA HEAR? I’M GONNA TAKE MY BOOT AND…”

Dale’s furious yelling was abruptly cut off, replaced by incoherent muffled shouts as a clear white dome appeared around him and his brother. A dark purple, spectacled unicorn stepped out of the darkness between two more apple trees.

“Thank you, Star Storm. That would have gotten annoying fast,” Golden Rule said, turning to the unicorn stallion. “Go fetch the sky-carriage and we can get them out of here as soon as possible.”

The purple stallion nodded and left to perform his task. Shining Badge watched him leave through squinted eyes. Golden Rule hadn’t mentioned that the other mage was in on this plan, and couldn’t help but wonder what else she hadn’t mentioned.

“I was with Shepry for the entire evening up until we received notification of the Delford brothers’ escape. She shouldn’t suspect my involvement when I announce that my ponies have recaptured them,” Golden Rule said as she turned to Shining Badge, “I trust things went well on your end?”

Shining Badge had wrestled with revealing Flintlock’s fate to Golden Rule throughout the entire walk here. Noting the smile of personal satisfaction on Golden Rule’s face as she glanced past him at the now silent humans, Shining Badge made a decision.

“We had a problem involving Corporal Flintlock, the military pony we were with when we first arrived,” Shining said neutrally. “Dale killed her.”

He studied Golden Rule’s face for her reaction. Her smile disappeared, but it didn’t become a frown. Her mouth merely became an unreadable line.

“That’s a pity. Still, she could have implicated both of us so I suppose it’s for the best.”

The sheer casualness with which Golden spoke ignited a fire within Shining Badge’s veins. “She was a good pony who didn’t deserve die!”

This time, Golden Rule frowned. “Sometimes, sacrifices must be made in our pursuit of justice…”

Shining simply shook his head in disbelief. “It’s not like those monsters would have gotten away scot-free if we hadn’t intervened!”

“I don’t understand what the issue is, Shining Badge. The Delford brothers are going to face our justice now. Isn’t that what we wanted? Isn't that what’s right?”

For the first time, Shining Badge seriously considered whether this was what he wanted. True, even now memories of Lucky and Stamps made him wish he could be the one to throw the killers into a cell himself. But now he knew it didn’t matter.

“No. Not anymore,” Shining gave a hard glare at Golden Rule before turning away. “Do whatever you want with these pieces of shit," Shining tilted his head in the direction of the two humans. "I’m leaving. I’ve spent a lifetime living with the guilt and consequences of my actions. I hope you can do the same!’”

Shining Badge was so focused on storming away he didn’t even hear the sound of Golden Rule firing up her horn. “I’m sorry you feel that way…”

“And I’m sorry you all feel our justice system is so inadequate…” the low, smooth voice drew both Shining Badge and Golden Rule’s attention to the row of trees off to their side.

Agent Frank Justus stood among the trees with a woman on his right and a man on his left that Shining recognized as the man he knocked out on the train. His two associates had their firearms trained on the ponies while Agent Justus simply stood there, a single corner of his mouth curved upward. The two sides stared each other down, all the while Dale and Vernon Delford looked on at the confrontation from their dome prison, uncertainty dominating their features.

Golden Rule all but growled at Justus. “What are you doing here?”

The man smiled as if privy to a joke no one else understood. “I happened to overhear your talks with the nice Sheriff here and your other compatriots.”

“How?” Golden Rule asked, echoing Shining Badge’s thoughts. Justus hadn’t been anywhere near when he and Golden first came up with their plan. In fact, the two of them had been listening in on his conversation with the Delford brothers through the…

Oh. Justus reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, blue, pebble sized object. “You dropped this.”

Agent Justus casually tossed the object to Golden Rule, who caught it with her telekinesis. Shining Badge glanced over and if the widening of Golden’s furious eyes were any indication, he realized what the object was at the same time as she. It was the commune stone she had planted on the human agent.

“I’ll bet you thought you were pretty clever, using that as an impromptu listening bug,” Justus said, the knowing smirk remaining plastered to his face. “One of the benefits in working for the BEI is learning all about the various magical Equestrian artifacts. All I had to do was get one of my associates in the Mage's Guild to do the actual magic...ing.”

Although the smug look on Justus’ face remained the same, something about his smile changed, making him look less like a clown and more like a shark. “It must be embarrassing to know that the non-magical, inferior human outsmarted you with your own tools.”

He spat the word out as if it weren’t originally his. Glancing at Golden Rule, Shining Badge didn’t have to guess who Justus was quoting. “Don’t you lecture me on specism, human! Your bigotry would have had the criminals face lighter punishment!”

The predatory smirk on Justus' face was once again replaced with a jovial smile as he placed a hand on his chest in mock hurt. “Oh, that’s not fair. I grew up in Iowa... some of my best friends are farm animals!” Justus dropped his arm and with it his jesting demeanor.

“Keep in mind that we’re dealing with a pair of simple minded ponyphobes," Justus gestured towards the imprisoned Delfords. "Evidence is all well and good, but I prefer the certainty of a good confession. By playing to their specism I was able to get one! You see, unlike one of us I’m able to keep my opinions separate from my work!”

If it was possible for Golden Rule to look any more angry, she would have exploded… twice. Agent Justus merely stepped forward. “Now, I’ll just be taking my prisoners.”

Somehow, the veins popping out of Golden Rule’s head disappeared, and the previously fuming mare suddenly returned to a state of eerie calm as she stared at the humans and gave them her patented relaxed smile.

“Very well….” Golden Rule turned her head and her horn glowed, bringing down the domed shield surrounding the Delford brothers.

She then fired a spark from her horn to Dale Delford and in an instant the man was consumed in flames, screaming in agony as his flesh burned.

Dale!” In the next instant, Vernon’s head was surrounded in a golden aura and twisted around with a sickening snap before his limp body collapsed to the ground.

Golden Rule returned her attention to the stunned human agents as both brothers lay on the ground behind her, one twisting and screaming, and the other still and silent. Justus’ smirk was all but gone while Golden’s smile remained as pleasant as if she was attending a picnic.

“... They’re all yours!”

What followed happened too fast for Shining Badge to truly process. The sound of a gunshot indicated that Justus or one of his men fired first. A clear white shield of magical energy appeared before Golden Rule as Star Storm appeared at her side. The two unicorns retaliated, launching magical attacks that scattered the group of human agents as they returned fire.

Shining Badge could do nothing but stand frozen in place as he watched the two groups exchange blasts of magic and lead. He’d been in combat a few times over his years in law enforcement, so why couldn’t he act?

It was when a blast from Star Storm struck down the man from the train that Shining decided he’d had enough. He stormed toward the pair of unicorns even as bullets from the female agent’s gun found their mark in Star Storm’s side; his last attack having left him open. Shining eyed Golden Rule as the mare grabbed the woman’s gun in her magical aura and wrenched in from her hands before turning the weapon on its owner and putting her down with two well placed shots. Shining Badge was within hoof’s reach of the mage as she next struck Justus across the face with the butt of her levitating weapon, knocking the man off his feet before turning the barrel to him…

Shining Badge delivered a swift, hard strike with his hoof to the base of Golden Rule’s horn, eliciting a yelp of surprise and pain from the mare as she fell to her knees, clutching her head. Before she or Justus could do anything else, Shining knocked Golden to the ground and pinned her, keeping a hoof firmly planted on her neck.

“Magus Golden Rule, you are under arrest,” Shining Badge growled between clenched teeth.

“Give her here!” Justus rasped as the man staggered to his feet, raising his weapon. His smiles were all gone. A glower and a bit of blood were the only things on his face.

“No. This criminal is going to answer to Equestrian laws.”

Justus snorted. “Why? So she can receive a slap on the wrist and be set loose to continue to undermine us?” He shook his head, “No, she killed our people so she’ll answer to us!”

Shining Badge closed his eyes and let out a breath. Those words sounded awfully familiar. When he opened his eyes again, he didn’t look at Frank Justus with anger or resentment. He just looked weary.

“I’m sorry she killed your people, I really am. But you have to let it go. I have made a career out of breaking the law because I thought my way was better, but that’s exactly what led us here in the first place. You can’t just take the law into your own hands because it’s easy. It's our responsibility to uphold the law!”

Agent Justus appraised Shining Badge and his captive for a long time. Shining didn’t budge from his position on top of Golden Rule and stared calmly back at the human. After a while, the sound of distant voices filled the air, growing louder as their owners drew closer. Shining thought he recognized Sheriff Clayburn’s distant drawl among them. Finally, Frank Justus put his gun away inside his coat with a resigned sigh.

“She’s all yours.”

═╬═

As he sat in the consul’s nice but modest office the next morning, Shining Badge was surprised at just how calm he was. Spending the night in a cell in Sheriff Clayburn’s office really gave him a perspective on the other side of the law. It wasn’t long after he had woken the following morning that Clayburn went to get him, saying that Consul Shepry wanted to meet with him.

Shining Badge was surprised when he was escorted into the consul’s office to see that Shepry wasn’t alone. She had been talking to a purple unicorn mare with a lavender mane when he entered. After exchanging pleasantries with Shepry, the mare introduced herself as the head of the Mage’s Guild: Archmagus Twilight Sparkle. Her presence made sense now that Shining Badge had a moment to think about it. Golden Rule’s actions might have caused international problems if the Mage's Guild wasn't swift to enact damage control.

“We did thorough background checks on Golden Rule since last night’s incident,” Sparkle explained. “Turns out she’s a member of a popular pony supremacist group.”

“Naturally, this 'Purehooves' group is being investigated, but Ms. Sparkle and I don’t believe they were involved in this particular incident,” Shepry added, “Golden Rule has stated for the record that she acted on her own accord, and the Purehooves are a fairly small group besides. I don’t think they’re a threat to anyone. Human or otherwise.”

Shining Badge shifted in his chair. “Still, a pony supremacist group? That’s pretty unsettling.”

The Archmagus shifted in place. “Yes, as much as I’d like to see them disbanded, there is the problem of free speech protection,” Ms. Sparkle’s wry smile got a few raspy chuckles out of Shining Badge. After meeting the other ponies in the Mages Guild, Shining wasn’t expecting the mare in charge to be so… personable.

That fact certainly made Shining Badge less nervous when he cleared his throat to address the elephant in the room. “What about me?”

Shepry and Sparkle exchanged a look. They both knew that Shining was complicit in Golden Rule’s grievous breach in protocol. Furthermore, that he was just as responsible for the deaths of Flintlock and Justus' agents as she and Dale. With a nod from Shepry, Archmagus Sparkle turned to look at the old stallion.

“Consul Shepry and I have both gone over the reports of this incident as well as your prior record of service.” For some infuriating reason, the Archmagus gave a long pause. “We’ve decided to put another mark on your record.”

Shining Badge waited for Ms. Sparkle to continue. Any moment now, she would go into detail about how he’d serve out the remainder of his life in prison, never to hold Chalky, his children or his grandchildren again. Instead, Twilight Sparkle only sat in place, smiling warmly at him.

The seconds continued to pass, every one punctuated by the ticking of the small clock on the consul’s desk. Shining Badge wasn’t sure how many more seconds had passed before he couldn’t take the silence anymore.

“That’s it?” Shining looked back and forth from Sparkle to Shepry to Sparkle again. “I’m not being punished? I don’t imagine Justus is going to be very happy to hear that.”

“Frank personally vouched for you. You must have really left an impression on him,” Shepry said.

“In my talk with Golden Rule, she told me about how she specifically brought you along because she knew you would be easy to manipulate. You wouldn’t be the first pony to let her talk you into something they might not have done otherwise,” Sparkle explained.

Shining couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “But… I still committed a crime! The law…”

“...Exists to protect society from bad people,” Twilight Sparkle leaned forward with a reassuring smile. “You’re not a bad person, Shiny.”

Shiny?

The pleasant, friendly smile on Twilight Sparkle’s face disappeared as soon as the name left her mouth and her eyes shifted away with a distant, sad look. The morose, longing look passed just as quickly as it had come and Sparkle again gave Shining a reassuring smile, but it wasn’t quite as full as it had been before.

“Still, isn’t there anything I can do to help set things right?” Shining asked, deciding for the Archmagus’ sake not to draw attention to her little slip of the tongue.

Consul Shepry leaned forward. “That’s something you need to figure out yourself.”

═╬═

Shining Badge hadn’t been south of Cloudsdale since he last went to the cloud city itself. The rolling plains of tilled farmland in the distance were almost exactly as he remembered them. Last time he was here, Shining had been visiting the home of the pegasus mare he had been dating at the time. Glancing beside himself, Shining was glad that the area remained relatively unchanged over the years if only so that he might appreciate its beauty with the mare in his life now.

Together, Shining and Chalk walked up the steps to a large, brightly colored structure consisting mostly of soft, cold colors. The words “Comfy Clouds Foals’ Home” adorned the space above the double doors that served as the front entrance. The old married couple stepped through the doors and entered a tidy front lobby. They were greeted by a light-red young mare with a baby blue mane and the image of a pink heart surrounded by tiny stars on her flank.

“Hi, welcome to Comfy Clouds!” she greeted with a smile as she stepped out from behind the front desk and approached the two older ponies, “My name's Dreamy Heart. How can I help you?”

Chalk Board looked to her husband. They had a long talk when Shining got home from Apploosa a week ago. He had told Chalk all about what had transpired there (sparing her the unpleasant details), and after much discussion of their financial situation, their ever increasing age and their general ability as caregivers, Shining finally got her to see where he was coming from when he told her...

“We’re thinking about adopting.”

At this, Dreamy Heart’s ears perked straight up and a wide grin split her face ear to ear. “That’s wonderful! You have no idea what this means what with the adoption rate being what it is!” The mare practically skipped over to her desk. “Of course, we’re going to have to go through all of the reviews and legal procedures which can take a while, but if you like you can come in with me and meet some of the foals now! Were you two thinking of a particular kind of foal? Filly? Colt? Earth pony…?”

“Actually, I was told that you have a certain filly here,” Shining Badge said. “A pegasus filly named Cinnamon Star.”

The young mare put a hoof to her chin as her eyes found the ceiling. “Cinnamon Star… Hmmm…” The mare practically jumped when she remembered. “Oh, of course! Cinnamon arrived with us about a week ago. I take it you knew her parents?”

Shining and his wife nodded.

“Well, I’m sorry to say that little Cinnamon has already been adopted.”

Shining Badge’s heart skipped a beat for the first time in what felt like years.

“Rest assured, she’s gone to a very good home. The mare who adopted her is just the sweetest thing ever!”

The young mare continued describing the virtues of Cinnamon’s adoptive parents while Shining just grinned, only half hearing her words. Admittedly, Shining had not been looking forward to the burden of raising another foal so late into his life, but he and Chalk had been ready to do so all the same for no other reason than it was the right thing to do. But now, some absolute saint had come and given the small filly the life she was nearly robbed of. Shining knew that he had to thank whoever the adoptive pony was, even if it amounted to nothing but a simple letter expressing his sincere gratitude.

Whoever this mare was, she must have been the kindest pony in Equestria.

“Who is she?”

End

Author's Note:

Whew, writing this was sure a thing. Out of everything I've written, this was probably the story that changed the most from its inception to final draft. In truth, I still think it needs more work, but there is a deadline to meet what with this being an entry for a writing prompt. I had planned to talk a bit about my thought process while writing this and what I was going for with it, but I'm tired as dicks and I just want to get this thing published so look for a blog update at some point in the future.

I want to give my eternal thanks to Shinzakura for not only creating All American Girl but creating this contest and giving me the chance to write in this neat universe of his! You rock... woohoo!

Comments ( 15 )

Yay! Now on to edits! :rainbowlaugh:

4083631 So does that mean I messed up something in canon? Or was there some crazy dumb mistakes that I somehow missed after my bajillionth read through? :derpytongue2:

Really? Their shield blocked bullets? AND they had the magical ability to set a man on fire?

4084773
Well, for one thing it would be a consulate in Appleoosa, not an embassy. And that's just the obvious.

Truthfully though, the story was rather good. I enjoyed it. Perhaps a bit too much.

4096698
YES! Ahem. I was hoping someone would respond to this eventually.

Would you like some cheese to go with your wine?

:rainbowlaugh::yay::derpytongue2::trollestia:

I regret nothing.

This was an excellent read. No criticisms other than the ones my AAG-TDA comrades have already voiced or will make themselves known in time.:pinkiesmile:

4096102 Ah, okay. Fixed that. Guess that's what I get for not having such good off-hand political knowledge... or a consultant... or an editor...

4098343 Please be gentle! :fluttershyouch:

What?! No charges against Shining for assaulting civilians and causing the death of Flintlock (he is the one who released a criminal and gave him a weapon)?

4118771 Hence why Shining Badge is so uncomfortable. Though, I'm not sure where you got the idea that he gave anyone a weapon. :applejackunsure:

Really liked the story, showing some parallels of humans and ponies.

Really liked how Justus seemed to be the obvious bad guy (that I still liked), but then it was turned around. I also like how his snarkiness and professionalism clash and come out.

One thing that confuses me- I thought Cinnamon's orphanage was in Cloudsdale, by the description, it sounds like it's on the ground south of Cloudsdale.

That aside, really enjoyable read.

4171888 Yes, I originally wrote Cinnamon's orphanage as being in Cloudsdale but then I reread the chapter of AAG Cinnamon first appears in and it says that the orphanage used to be in Cloudsdale but was moved ground side to accommodate non-pegasi.

Glad you found it enjoyable! :twilightsmile:

What's that old saying that you hear, deep on the Earth boards of FIMFiction? Humanity: no greater enemy, no greater ally

Login or register to comment