• Published 26th Oct 2011
  • 3,954 Views, 84 Comments

Night's Magic - SteampunkBrony



What if the other statues in canterlots garden were sealed ponies? this is one idea.

  • ...
4
 84
 3,954

The Acadamy

"And that's the general plan." I said chuckling at Trixie's expression. Luna had left a few hours ago, shortly before Trixie's arrival back and I had just filled her in on our plan to start an academy. "How is the griffon by the way?"

"She should be fine, however she will probably have lost an eye from that." The showmare replied with a sigh. "So you want me to use a teleportation talisman to go to Stalliongrad, set off what is essentially a dark magic bomb, and then teleport back here?"

"That's the gist of it, yes. The spell won't hurt anypony, but it will attract a lot of Solaris attention, which is the basic idea. That way we can move a good chunk of the order's members who are instructors in various subjects here. Luna is also rounding up some ponies who are sympathetic with the order who are teachers as well so we can get everything organized. We'll have everything from magic to flight to farming to cooking. All as a cover for the order so we can have a centralized base once more. Celestia is going to have a hay day when she hears about it. Luna is just scouting a good location in the nearby woods for the academy." I explained. "And as I previously stated, I have some wards to strengthen. Here, let me show you how to use that spell bomb and amulet..."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Ah dunno twi, something about what Trixie said ain't adding up to me. She seemed to not remember a lot about those stallions who she 'ran into'." Applejack said while pacing the library as Twilight flipped through a large tome.

"That combined with all the dark magic pulses that I've been feeling of late... well something is going on that's for sure." The purple librarian replied. "And thanks to Trixie I'm trying to figure out what connection there is between Starlight and my last name. She must have connected something in her mind to switch topic so suddenly there..." Twilight said frowning. "Ah, here we go, 'Sparkle family tree'."

"You have a book with your family tree in it Twi? In the Ponyville library?" Applejack said chuckling.

"Well... it's not all that surprising. My father's side of the family has a few nobles and this is a tome of noble families."

"... oh." Applejack said, looking a bit surprised before Twilight burst out laughing. "What in tarnation is so funny Twi'?"

"Your expression. Priceless." She said when she had the breath. "Sorry about that. I've been a bit stressed these last few days because of what's been going on. Let's see here... huh that's a strange last name... Lulamoon, my gradfather's brother's wife. Seems there's quite a few same gender pairings here too, didn't know that." Twilight said as she went down the family tree.

"Huh, maybe Aloe has a shot with ya after all sugarcube." Applejack said laughing.

Twilight deadpanned at that. "Probably not happening AJ, you know I'm into colts."

"What about that time with pinkie?" Applejack teased, laughing harder at Twilight's instant blush.

"That hard cider does weird things to a pony..." Twilight mumbled as she looked back down at the tome. "What the?"

"What is it Twi'?"

"There's a blacked out entry here... from around the time of Nightmare Moon."

"A blacked out entry?" Applejack trotted over and took a look. One of the portraits and names had been covered with black ink so you couldn't read it. "That's strange Twi', who'd do that?"

"I don't know... but I do know a spell to remove that ink. I've had similar problems with inkwell accidents before." She said concentrating on the tome, as there was a knock on the door. The two ponies looked up as the door opened revealing Lyra.

"Hiya Twilight." The mint unicorn said cheerily.

"Oh hi Lyra. Looking for another of the usual?" Twilight said with a smile.

"Nah, this time I'm looking for maps of the area southwest of ponyville?"

"Before or after the acres?" Applejack asked. "T'aint much past the acres 'cept the path into the Everfree." Applejack said.

"Yeah, that area of the Everfree." Lyra replied.

"Looking for somewhere?" Twilight asked.

"You could say that." Lyra said with a chuckle.

"Whaddya mean by that?" Applejack asked, but Lyra's reply was cut off by the door opening once more.

"Twilight Sparkle are you in?" Princess Luna said stepping into the library.

"P-princess!" Twilight stammered jumping to her hooves and bowing, Applejack and Lyra following suit.

Luna sighed. "Relax Twilight, w- er, I am here on unofficial business. I was wondering if you had any maps of the area on the fringe of the Everfree past Sweet Apple Acres."

Lyra's ears perked up at that as Twilight replied, "I do, actually Lyra here is looking for much of the same thing."

"Oh why art thou... sorry, old habits die hard as they say. What are you looking for in that area?" Luna asked as Twilight started looking through a back room for the maps.

"Oh no reason, a friend of mine found a clearing in that area that she wants to show me because of an odd tree, but we can't seem to find one of the landmarks on the way there." Lyra said, causing Luna and Applejack to frown.

"Now, Ah' understand that everypony has their secrets Lyra but even Fluttershy would have seen through that one." The orange mare said.

Lyra started fidgeting at that as Twilight called from the back room, "Applejack can you help me with this cabinet? It's jammed shut."

"Commin' Twi'." Applejack said heading off to find twilight and leaving the other two mares alone.

"Don't worry about me, I hold nothing against you Lyra of Clan Solaris. It's just the higher ups in the order I dislike." Luna said with a smile.

"Wha, how?" Lyra said shocked.

"I can see magic currents, my sister can't though, she deals with the less subtle aspects of magic. I can see that the dark currents avoid you while the light currents are attracted, that usually means a member of Clan Solaris."

"Ah... so I take it I'm heading in the right direction then."

"Yes, however please try to learn whose lives your about to ruin before reporting anything." Luna said with a sigh. "I'm seeking to establish an acadamy in that area."

"Wait, what do you mean, whose lives i'm about to ruin?" Lyra asked.

"It's simple really, The Order of the Moon is made of Scholars who seek to keep the dark arts alive. the oaths one has to take are very strict on the matter that nopony in the order can use the knowledge they've gained to bring harm. Solaris has no such oaths and from my understanding has waged a bloody crusade against the order."

"They have?" Lyra said skeptically.

"It's mostly covered up, however I have been going over the Order's records and in the last ten years alone the order has tracked at least 400 deaths of their members back to Solaris. Not to mention that the pony in charge is... rather eccentric to say the least, he openly states his distaste with me and my magic and I have, more than once found Solaris members following me around. I managed to loose them tonight though." Luna said with a chuckle. "I'm taking a gambol in telling you this of course, however I can offer you something no other member of Solaris has ever had, a chance to see what the Order is like, what Starlight is like, and see some of the behind the scenes. You would have to swear an oath of secrecy about names, places and exact details of certain things, but then you may just help end some of the hate."

"... why are you offering this to me?" Lyra said in reply.

"Because, Lyra, aside from seeing the streams of magic i can also detect deceit and lies. Back when I wielded the elements of Harmony alongside my Sister I held the element of Honesty. They've been telling you fanatical lies I'd bet, at least that's what they did 1000 years ago to gain followers. What is their description of dark magic may I ask? Actually, hold that thought, the other two are returning. We'll continue this on our way out shall we?" Luna said with a mischievous smile. "I may work more subtly than my sister, but you'll hear of a rather bold move of mine and Starlight's soon. May as well roll more dice."

Lyra was about to reply as Twilight and Applejack returned. "Found them. I'll assume you would like to sign them out Princess?"

"Please Twilight, call me Luna. I will return this tomorrow, after I've made a few copies." The lunar princess said as she took the map with her magic. Glancing at the noble family tree tome she frowned and said "Hmm... Twilight I don't suggest removing that ink unless you want to, as they say, open up a huge can of worms."

"Whaddya mean by that Princess?" Applejack asked.

"I can't say who inked that out but they did so for a reason. If you do want to, then please let me know before you let my sister know, it will save you some trouble further down the line." Luna said turning to leave.

"What about me, I still need a copy of that map." Lyra asked Luna.

"Walk with me for a bit, I'll make a copy as we go." Luna replied as she stepped out the door, Lyra in tow leaving behind two rather confused mares.

-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A/N: Hello again, Steampunk here.

First off, sorry for how much this story is jumping around, I tend to do weird and occasionally wonderful things with plotlines and ponies, but i promise in the end things will tie together.

Secondly, sorry for if this chapter seems a bit weird or rushed, I decided to just sit and write the next bit of storyline that came into my head.

Thirdly, DOUBLE UPDATE WOO!

Lastly if you remember to comment:

Comments ( 20 )

Well now, with a deal like that, who can argue?

It's not really jumping around as much as it could be. In fact, the way you do it and the amount you do so seems to enhance the experience for me.

The Solaris Clan is ganna rage at their plan. I see all kinds of shit hitting the fan and I can't wait!

I am really glad this fic is still around, I was getting into it when it went on hiatus and I'm glad that it appears to be back off. I'll be watching closely and reading intently:twilightsmile:

About damn time! I knew you could do it

i love this fic

342209

my muse is a fickle bitch, and she does as she pleases. that and I'm trying to figure out why I was so uncreative... I know I am creative I just need to figure out why I felt so drained.

this stroy is going places and i follow it till the end

You have a big problem with capital and lowercase letters, namely when to use them.

487370

My friend I am well aware that I've botched that particular bit of grammar in this piece of literature, however I am going to rectify the problem eventually. :moustache:

487882

I'm afraid you have confused 'gambol', to run and leap, with 'gamble', taking a bet. Please correct, then write more chapters!

I love this story!
I really hope you write more and soon!

Very cool story. The lower case i's are a little weird at times but the story is great. I definitely look forward to how this goes. I notice you haven't place a specialty on Twilight yet either Dark or Light. Will she walk the middle ground? That is what twilight is after all.

this is awesome keep going.

I know you update as you wish, but I would still like to ask for some sort of clue to when the next chapter of this will be out. This kinda sucks though you have so many good storys out that i want all of them to be updated.... funny idea though if you are ever feeling sadistic you can make your readers choose a story to be updated next, and watch them fight over which should be updated first internally and with everyone else. It should at least be worth a good laugh.

1411775

I... may just have to do that, that would actually be rather funny. :rainbowlaugh:

Just ran across this and a few other of your fics today, and I must say the ones I've read are quite good.
One thing though, will this be updated in the future or is it cancelled?

2082481

tough to say, i should really change the ones i'm not working on to 'hiatus'.

2083970 that would be a good idea

Login or register to comment