• Published 19th Feb 2014
  • 3,898 Views, 125 Comments

Scootaloo's Growth: from Baby to Champion - Never2muchpinkie



Scootaloo's life starting from an attack as a baby, her adoption, and growing up through her struggles with her wings, culminating in a final race against her lifetime idol to show her worth.

  • ...
4
 125
 3,898

Bonus Chapter: Big sister Scootaloo: A gift from the heart

“Scootieloo!” cried out Rose Blossom. “Where are we going?”

“Just to the park, Rosie,” I responded. “I gotta get my scooter practice in for today.”

“Yay!” she cried out happily. “I love watching you. You go like this! And this! And this!”

I let out a little laugh at her rambunctious nature as she did little spins and acted like she was doing scooter tricks. It really reminded me of the way I used to be. Rose Blossom really looked up to me. After all, I had been caring for her since she was just a baby, starting out with me saving her from a fall and foalsitting her almost every week after. She was almost six now and pretty soon she would enter elementary school.

When we got to the park I told her to sit on the bench and I’d give her a show. She sat down instantly, a mile-wide smile on her face as she waited. Once again I couldn’t help but be reminded of the way I used to admire Rainbow Dash. I strived so hard to be everything she was, until she finally set me straight and told me that I should be my own pony, not just a copy of her. She was right, of course. My cutie mark attested to that. My destiny was to be an amazing scooter rider. I could be a professional racer, or be a delivery pony and transport items for other ponies. There were so many paths ahead of me to choose.

I did beat Rainbow Dash in that race a week ago, but just like she told me about herself I wouldn’t let that make me lazy. I still had a long, long way to go if I ever truly wanted to be her equal.

With a determined look I gazed down at the area of the park in front of me, plotting out my course. Taking a deep breath I began my usual warm-ups of wing stretches and measured ins and outs of breath. Revving my wings I kicked off, racing down the small hill of the path. I headed towards the pond to my left, and just before I hit the water I jumped, doing five front flips before skidding across the last part of the pond. Seeing another small hill ahead I jumped it, twirling around in rapid rotations before approaching a tree. As soon as the board hit a branch I put out one of my hooves and jumped, flapping my wings hard as I gained more air and did horizontal spins until I neared the ground.

Straightening myself out before I hit the path I pushed my scooter forward, quickly rotating to throw my scooter ahead of me with the momentum. Jumping off the ground and flapping my wings hard I caught up to my scooter, jumping off the board and doing a hoofstand on the handlebars. Feeling daring I took off one of my hooves, laughing because of how much I enjoyed riding my scooter. As I came upon another small hill I pushed off, back flipping back onto the board and lying down upon it upside down, pushing myself up on my front hooves and using my back hooves to steer it back towards Rose Blossom. Timing it perfectly I jumped off, doing several more backflips before twisting on the last one to stand back on it properly. Putting out my hoof to slow down I skidded to a stop right in front of her.

Rosie clapped her hooves so hard I thought they would fall off, cheering and screaming her little heart out. I let out some giggles as I bowed to her. For the third time I was reminded of my younger self. I thought of the day I had first met Rainbow Dash and had asked her to show me moves, and I had reacted much like my sister did.

I wiped my brow, letting out a little pant at my exertion. Setting my scooter against the side of the bench I sat down next to her. “How was that, huh?”

Rosie quickly jumped into my lap. “That was so amazing! Oh my gosh! That was the most amazing, most spectacular thing I’ve ever seen! No wonder you beat Rainbow Dash! You’re so much cooler than her.”

Holding her to me I smiled and laughed as I let out a small sigh, thinking it would be pointless to try to change her mind. After all, no one could have done that for me at that age. The parallels between me and Rose Blossom were obvious to me. We were a lot alike in so many ways. I didn’t mind, of course. Just as Rainbow Dash had said about me, I liked having a little sister to look after and care for. Things with my new family had worked out better than I had ever dreamed.

“Scootieloo?”

“You do know my name is Scoot-a-loo by now, don’t you? You’re almost ready for school, you know?”

“So what? My name is Rose Blossom, but you like to call me Rosie, right? So I’m just trying to be like you. Because I love you so much, sis!” She looked up at me with bright eyes, before throwing her hooves around me and holding me tight.

A few warm tears come down my eyes. “I love you too, little Rosie.” I felt her settle into me further as my heart swelled with all my affection for the little munchkin.

After a few more seconds she pulled out my hold and looked up at me again. “So, sis?”

“Yes?”

“Do you think I can be cool like you?”

“Of course you can, if you work at it. Just practice really hard.”

“Can I ride with you for a little while? I really want to see what it’s like. It looks like so much fun.”

“Hmmm. I don’t know. I wouldn’t want you to get hurt.”

She pouted at me. “Is that a no?”

“Maybe for a little while, but I can’t do most of my usual stunts. For those I need to be in total control. I can do some simple stuff though if that’s okay with you.”

Rosie’s eyes lit up with delight. “Hooray! Let’s go! Let’s go!” Jumping off the bench she pulled me hard with both her front hooves. “Come on, Scootieloo!”

“Okay! Okay! Give me a sec, will ya?” Standing up I walked over to my scooter, setting it up. “Okay, now stand behind me and put your hooves around me really tight and don’t let go no matter what! Got that?”

“Right!” she said with a nod, shaking with anticipation.

Once again I was reminded of myself, first of getting to do a sonic rainboom from Rainbow Dash’s back and then of how excited I was of getting to do it later.

Once I was sure she was securely on behind me I tested my wings. I didn’t want to be constantly hitting her with them, after all. Thankfully my wings were far enough out on my body that I didn’t have to worry about that. I kicked off, flapping my wings much slower than I would have usually. I didn’t want her to fall off and get hurt from an unexpected burst of speed.

As we went down the hill I jumped off, thinking of doing a front flip but deciding against it. Instead I just landed right on the ground. I aimed for another hill, jumping and getting as much air as I could. I did three slow rotations before landing back on the ground. I continued doing simple tricks, Rosie laughing and calling out “MORE! MORE!” all the while, until on one of my comedowns I accidentally pushed too far forward and Rose went flying into the air. Quickly jumping off with all four of my hooves I flapped my wings, catching her before she hit the ground.

Rosie was laughing away, but my heart was racing. “Okay, squirt. I think that’s enough for now.”

I fully expected her to pout and complain, but all she did was smile. When I set her down she threw herself at me again and hugged me. “Thank you so much, Scootieloo. You’re the best sister ever! I love you!”

“I love you too, sis.” I saw her grin disappear. “What’s wrong, kid?”

“Scootieloo, do you think… I mean… can we…”

“Come on, Rose. Spit it out.”

“Could you teach me how to ride a scooter? I don’t even care about flying. I just want to be just like you, so I want a scooter too.”

“I guess so. We’d have to talk to Mom and Dad about getting you one. This one is too big for you. You wouldn’t be able to ride it right.

“So you wanna just go home for now so we can ask?”

She nodded her head hard. “Can we ride home? You don’t have to do any tricks. I just wanna ride some more with you. I don’t ever care what we do as long as we can spend time doing stuff together.”

“No problem. I don’t mind that. Let’s go.”

As we rode home I thought about how there wasn’t a day of my life I wasn’t glad that I had been the one to rescue Rose Blossom. Sure, sometimes she got on my nerves like sisters do, but most of the time she was a big ball of love just looking for a target to unleash it on, and usually it was me. She was always asking me to read her stories, or napping on my lap, or sleeping with me at night. She could never get enough of me. It really was an amazing feeling being a big sister.

When we got home we found Mom and Dad in the kitchen, making some lunch.

“Hey, you two,” said Mom. “You’re home early. I thought you’d be out later.”

“Well,” I said, “Rosie here has a request.”

“Yes, sweetie?”

“I want a scooter just like my big sister,” said Rosie. “so I can race around and be just like her!”

“Rose,” started Dad, “I’m afraid we just don’t have the money for that right now. We have bills that we have to pay and we can’t afford to get a brand new scooter for you.”

As expected she started crying and pleading and begging. I wasn’t sure what to do. I didn’t want to leave her like that, but I couldn’t help her. I didn’t have the money for a new scooter either.

I felt like there was a lump in my stomach as an idea came to me. I couldn’t give her a brand new scooter… but I could give her a used one. I took a shuddering breath and said, “I remember now. I can give you a scooter, Rose.”

Her sobbing stopped almost instantly. “R-really?” She sniffled.

I nodded. “Come on.” I walked toward my room, her anxiously following behind me. I opened my closet, and with a heavy feeling I slowly rolled out the scooter my grandmare had given me all those years ago. The memories I had with it came flooding back. I didn’t know why it felt so painful. I had already decided back when I got my new scooter that it wasn’t the scooter itself that was important. All that really mattered of what she had left behind is what she had given to me: an open heart full of love. And yet… and yet… to think of allowing someone else to have this most precious memento, someone who had no idea what they were doing and might cause it to get destroyed… I didn’t know if I could take it.

I saw her eyes light up with pure joy, one of those gigantic smiles on her face as she hugged it like an old friend, just like I had done with it a few times. She ran over to me and I saw happy tears coming down her eyes. “Thank you so much, sis! This is the best present ever! Oh, I want to go ride it right now! Come on, Scootieloo. Let’s go!”

Without another word she rushed out of the house, leaving me alone. I felt like I couldn’t breathe, feeling one of the scars on my heart crack open a little. I sniffled, feeling the tears well up inside.

A short while later I saw Mom at my door. She gave one look at me, and then she turned towards the hallway and called out, “Honey, would you look after Rose Blossom for a bit? I need to talk to Scootaloo.” I heard him reply that he would.

Mom came in and sat down on the bed. She patted the area next to it, and I moved automatically, sitting down next to her. “What’s the matter, Scootaloo? You made your sister’s day with that.” I heard the sound of Rosie laughing and playing outside, sounding cheerier than I’d ever heard her.

I continued sniffling, holding back the tears that wanted to come out. I felt her put a wing around me and nuzzle my face. “Scootaloo, you faced down a dragon for the sake of the entire town and to keep everyone safe from it until things could be settled. But even so, I have to say that what you just did was the bravest, most unselfish, and most wonderful thing you have ever done. You took a gift from the heart, something that meant the world to you, and you gave it to someone else, not knowing what is going to happen to it. That took a lot of courage, and I am so proud of you for that.”

My whole body clenched, my breathing shortened, and before I knew it I was sobbing into her body, her words meaning so much to me. She kept her wing around me, gently rubbing my back just like my grandmare used to do.

When my weeping settled down a little I looked up at her and muttered, “Being stupid.”

“You’re not being stupid, Scootaloo. It was a tough decision you made, but you did it for the sake of someone you loved. You are a fantastic big sister, and I’m so glad to have you every day. Rose never would have become the wonderful child she is without your guidance. We owe you a lot for saving our child back then, and you continue giving us gifts all the time just by being your wonderful self.”

I sniffed, wiping my face. “W-well, you gave me a home to live in when I needed it. You gave me a mom and dad to love, and a sister to take care of. It means a lot to me too.” I hopped off the bed, walking near the window. It had gotten quiet now so I wonder if Rosie had gotten bored already, or maybe dad took her to the park.

“I am being dumb. When all of you gave me a new scooter for my birthday I was both happy and sad. I was sad because I had to put my old scooter away. I grew up with that scooter. Of course I had Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, but that scooter was like my best friend for years. I liked flying, but I loved riding my scooter. Now that my grandmare is gone it’s one of the few things I have left of her. I told myself that it was okay, that I had other things to remind me of her, that her love would always be inside me, but it just wasn’t enough. When I passed that scooter over to Rose it hurt me so much. I felt like my heart was breaking in two.” More tears came down my eyes.

As mom went to say something I heard a small voice. “Scootieloo?”

I turned toward the door and I saw Rose Blossom there, and she looked upset. She looked like she was about to start sobbing too.

She walked into my room with the scooter, going towards the closet and putting it away. She turned to me, tears now streaming down her face. “You can have your present back. I don’t want it anymore. I’m s-sorry I made you cry and hurt your heart. F-f-forgive me?” she asked in a shaking voice.

I realized that she had heard my crying fit and what I had just been saying. She cared more about my happiness than her own, and didn’t want to do anything to hurt me.

I started crying along with her as I sat down, holding her to me as she sat on my lap. “Yes, Rosie. I forgive you. I love you! I really do.”

“I love you, too!”

For a while we were both crying wrecks. As I began to calm down again I felt a shift in my thoughts and emotions. Seeing Rosie’s totally unselfish way of giving up her heart’s desire simply to cheer me up meant a lot to me. She really did mean everything to me, and I would do anything it took to keep her safe. That was absolute. If she was going to follow in my hoofsteps then she was going to need the right equipment.

I didn’t want to be selfish either. As I stood up I went back to the closet and took out my old scooter. It had been well loved. I had done repairs to it over the years so it was still in good shape despite its copious use. My grandmare had given me this scooter as a gift from her heart. I had a lot of my heart invested in this scooter too. Just like with my new scooter. where everyone had played a part in getting it for me, I wanted to bestow my hopes and heart upon my old one… and give it to someone who needed it.

“Rose Blossom… this is for you. This scooter is very important to me, so you need to take good care of it.”

She shook her head. “I don’t want it anymore!”

“Yes, you do!” I said firmly. “I know you do, because I know how wonderful it feels to have and ride a scooter. You need one too, so you can ride alongside me as my sister. And maybe one day you’ll have your own scooter cutie mark like me. I know I started crying before but I can’t keep holding on to this forever. Someone has to ride it and enjoy it, and I want that pony to be you, sis. I’m really grateful to you for choosing to give it back to me, but I want you to have it. I want to see you use it and grow up with it just like I did. I want to see what you can do, and I’ll be alongside you every step of the way to teach you and keep you safe.

“Now, c’mon. Go throw your helmet on and let’s go practice, sis.”

“Are you sure?” she asked, still looking uncertain.

“Yes! I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life. I want you to have this scooter. I promise.”

Finally, she took it from me. “Okay,” she said, a grin coming back to her face. “I super-duper promise I’ll take as good care of it as you did, that way I don’t ever have to hurt your heart again.”

I patted her head a few times. “Thanks, Rosie. That means a lot to me. You ready now?”

She nodded hard. “Let’s go have some fun!” She ran out of the room with the scooter, me following after her.

The two of us stood outside, helmets on and side by side. “Alright, kid. We’re gonna take it slow for now, but soon enough you’ll get used to it and maybe we can start you on a trick to practice.

“Now, open your wings and kick off.”

“OKAY!” she cried out.

The two of us took off, traveling slowly through our yard. I was now feeling confident in my choice to give her my old treasure. I thought it was wonderful that it was finally getting some use again, even if it was by someone else. But it was a someone else I loved to death, so that was okay.

I wasn’t afraid anymore.

Comments ( 65 )

3981384 Hey there. So I went and did it! Are you happy now??? :rainbowkiss: It's a short addition that takes place a week after the end of the race, but it does have what you asked for. NOW this story is COMLETE! For good!!!!! Got it! :flutterrage: But seriously THANK YOU for the inspiration. I enjoyed this little piece.:yay:

4001211
I..:fluttershyouch:I had to not cry because I was in the middle of class when I read this... but now I am in the bathroom, and I can quietly sob my eyes out...:raritycry:

:fluttercry: It's so beautiful!

4001211 Helping authors get ideas to make stories better is something I enjoy doing.

4001356 I'll one up you by being in the break room at work surrounded by co-workers.

4002225 :yay: I'm glad you loved it. I had a blast writing this emotional piece. Scoots crying, Star Gazers words of telling her how brave she was, and Rose Blossom giving up the scooter all made me cry as I was writing it.

I think this sidestory was necessary to give Rose Blossom a litttle character development and personality,. I envision her as basiically the same as a filly Scootaloo, and Scoots sees that too.in the way she admires and looks up to her big sister and wants to catch up to her. Did you notice the way parts of Rainbow's personality worse off on Scoots, by sometimes calling her sister squirt or kid or munchkin?

Again, thank you for the inspiration and making a fun chapter for me. :rainbowwild::heart:

4002225
Are your co-workers immature enough to call you a pony f*cker?:pinkiesick:
I have learned to block them out thou.

4002412 They don't know what I was reading, I just got watery eyes and acted like nothing was wrong. They already know I'm kind of crazy, but like Ponyville tolerates Pinkie they have to put up with me. As long as I do my share of the work they don't really care. I don't make a big deal about what I read, they're used to seeing me reading on my Itouch, which makes it hard for people to read over my shoulder. :scootangel::trollestia:

And if they said that insult to me, I'd say "In your dreams. And what does it say about you knowing about the MLP fandom????":facehoof::trollestia:

oh my god...these feels! I loved the whole story, but this bonus..was the sonic rainboom! Too bad I can only give you 1 thumbs up, cause I'd love to give you infinity of them, you got yourself a follower! :rainbowdetermined2:

4010441 I'm glad you loved the bonus chapter, but as I wrote at the beginning all credit for the idea that sparked it goes to Kenshinryuu. If it wasn't for his comment on the matter it wouldn't exist. And I think it made the story feel a little more complete, because Rose never really got any spotlight. I hope I can continue to entertain you with my other stories :rainbowkiss:

4010441
4002934
4002225

So I wanted to ask your opinions on something. Do you think this story would feel as powerful if it hadn't been in the first-person view? I haven't read many Scootaloo fanfics, so I don't know how many people go that route, but IMO a Scootaloo focused fic works better that way, as it helps to get her hero worship in more, and really brings scope to her torment of her trouble with her wings and flying.

4013223
For me, it all depends on the story.
Guardians of many hues by Tadstone is done in the 3rd, and it works wonders. Yours is in 1st and it works just as well in my opinion. :scootangel:

4013223 I think it worked really well as is, it gave us a good glimpse into Scoot's thoughts and actions.

4013223

I'd say it's all depending on the story, Personally I'd say that this story wouldn't had been as powerful in a third person perspective, as it is right now, cause we really get a feel on Scootaloos emotions and what she's going through, I don't think a third person perspective could have done that for this story. :scootangel:

4013683 You know, I really don't like you right now.:flutterrage: I was happy with this story as it was, then you gave me inspiration to add an extra part and i thought I was done. Now that I gave Rose Blossom an actual personality I just feel like I want to explore her more. Already this story is too long, and I have like four other fanfics on the backburner, but I already have new ideas focusing on Rose Blossoms and Scootaloo's relationship I want to use, and I'd like to give Rose the spotlight in a chapter that is only about her mostly. One idea is to have Rose Blossom get the scooter stolen by some bullies, and doing something reckless to try to get it back. I don't know if I'm going to actually write it yet, but I'm definitely considering it. CURSE YOU!!!! :rainbowwild::rainbowkiss::rainbowwild::rainbowkiss::heart::heart::heart::heart:

4015306
That sounds like it would be really good! Please write it! :rainbowkiss:
I mean... if you want to, that is...:fluttershysad:

4015359 Well, it's always better to strike while the iron is hot and the inspiration is flowing, but I do want to finish off my Dashie story. It only has about another hour or two to be done.

The only issue I have is that, if I keep going, it's eventually going to be just a rehash of the actual story. Rose takes after Scootaloo the way Scootaloo takes after Rainbow Dash. Doing a few chapters here and there is okay, but I don't think I'm going to do so many it's going to become it's own story. Or maybe it will. I might just put it on it's own story page since Scootaloo's pretty much developed as far as she's going to, so a focus on Rose Blossom means that the story is less on Scoots, and thus it's not really Scoot's story anymore.

I don't know if you read this short story called "We regret to inform you" but it's about a fifteen minute read that has Pinkie became the Cake's childrens parent after Mr. and Mrs. Cake die in an accident. So I was having the same sort of idea for this. Part of me was feeling evil. I really had the desire that, if I was really going to continue this story and focus on Scoot's and Rose, that I wanted to kill off Star Gazer and Cloud Hunter and let Scootaloo take over as Rose's caregiver and help her move on and chase after her dreams... It was like, "Hey, Rose, you want to be the main character now? Well, dead parents sell! HAHAHAHAHA!:pinkiecrazy:" But I quite like my all thumbs up-ed story, and I'm pretty sure that would turn people off if I changed it from slice of life to something dark like that. Besides I tormented Scootaloo enough already. No more dead family members for her. :scootangel:

4015439
I've been needing to read We Regret to inform you, it's in my read later list.

What you could do is make it a side story of the main one. That way, it doesn't NEED to have Scoots in the entire story, maby just the end of it when/if Rose gets the scooter back?

Those are just my thoghts. Do what you wan't. :pinkiesmile:

4015582 Well, I think I'm going to make this next bit the last one. I'm going to go for a 'back and forth perspective' on this one, switching between Scootaloo and Rose Blossom, because I want to have Scootaloo learn one last lesson, the one I was initially going to include in the first short but chose not to add because I felt it would kill the sisterly mood. Beyond that, like I said, I can't think of anything else to do with Scootaloo besides give her a job helping Rainbow go cloud busting. She already saved the entire town, beat Rainbow Dash, and became an expert scooter rider and better-than-average flier. I think she deserves a little break to just enjoy her life.

4015778
Sounds good! Good luck and god speed!

4015306 hey, I didn't give you any plot bunnies this time, so don't blame me for wanting to do this possible fic. Otherwise I will start breeding plot bunnies and dumping them in your lap!!!!

4016192 Well, I've started writing it now, and you WILL accept responsibility for helping to improve my work, or else I'll take out your acknowledgement in the bonus chapter and let everyone think it was all my idea. MOHAHAHAHAHA! Naw. I wouldn't do that. I will give credit where it's due. I really like this dynamic you inspired.

Please no more plot bunnies. I beg of you. I have too much work already. :raritycry::raritydespair:

So I used a pony generator to make Rose Blossom, and it came out nearly perfectly the way I imagined her. Just like her name and appearance suggest, she takes more after earth ponies than her pegasus self, yet another way she compares to Scootaloo. Let me know what you think.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NridmvbezLY/UxF1oUhZUZI/AAAAAAAADbA/4YD6rWIQWx4/s512/000281065045288030070005002031001078316333012024.png

4015847 So I've started writing the chapter. And I also used a pony generator to create Rose Blossom. She came out nearly perfect to me. I just want her mane to be more open to look like a real rose. As I made her when I was deciding on her eye color I had a brainwave that she was more like an earth pony than a pegasus in the way she said she doesn't care about flying and just wants to be like her big sis, so I made her eyes brown like dirt to compliment her rose hair and grass tail.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NridmvbezLY/UxF1oUhZUZI/AAAAAAAADbA/4YD6rWIQWx4/s512/000281065045288030070005002031001078316333012024.png

4016807
I'm actually on my nook right now, so you will need to send me a clickable link or just the pic in a PM.

4016776 Rose looks nice... and her pose suggests that she'll be just as much a handful as her big sis.

One note on this sequel: You've already killed off Scoot's Birth Parents and adoptive Grandmother, don't kill off her adoptive parents. Maybe put them in the hospital for a while, but killing them off would be so angsty.

And where is this pony generator?????

4017419 Don't worry about that. I'm not going to do anything to their parents. I already tormented Scootaloo enough, and that would be too depressing and take away from the sisterly love bit.

http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-Full-Version-254295904

There's your link. I'm so glad you said that about her pose because I choose it specifically to convey that she's a hyper kid like the old CMC.

4017647 I think Scootaloo could still qualify for hyper nowadays!!!!

4022740
4016827
4015179

Hey there, all. So I need some help for this second bonus chapter. I need some quick OC's to add to it. I need two fillies, a colt, and three young stallions. Something off the top of your head is fine.

For the colt I envision him as looking like Rumble, but I haven't quite decided if he's going to be a pegasus or earth pony. I'm thinking something rock-related for a name. I like the thought of him being like Rose and Scootaloo, though, a pegasus who has something earthly as their name and appearance.

For the other five, I don't give a hoot what their names are or how they look, because they don't play much of a function. They just need to be able to be identified. It's the name biz that always throws me. For the bodies I could always just find a pony generator and hit random and go from there, but finding good names is difficult. So if you could throw some suggestions my way that would be great.

The gist is that Rose starts school, and becomes quick friends with two fillies. During recess she finds out that the colt also likes riding scooters, and after school wants to hang out with her. but his older brother has fallen in with a bad crowd and steals her scooter. The colt reluctantly follows along with his brothers actions because he loves his brother the way Rose loves Scootaloo and just wants to be accepted by him.


Once I get those I can quickly get to work bringing you to tears of D'AWWW at sisterly love and flashes of anger at how cruel kids can be. Just gotta say though, DON'T mess with Scootaloo's little sister. It doesn't end well. :pinkiecrazy::pinkiehappy:

4047333
you can use my OC named Contra.
She is a dark grey pegasus; a little darker than :derpytongue2:.
Her mane is a dark brown, like Dr. Whooves mane.
Also, she cannot fly due to undisclosed reasons.
Havn't desided on an eye color yet, so go crazy. :pinkiecrazy:

4047466 So like you with your clarinet story, I invoked massive feels with my Dashie story to another brony because of something that happened in their own lives. I won't go into detail because it's a little more of a private matter that I don't feel I should go into the details about in what he chose to tell me, but if you finish chapter five and read the comment he wrote you'll have the gist of why it affected him so much. It made me :fluttercry: and feel bad.

4047514
You are a glorious unintentionl feels bastard! :rainbowlaugh: but :raritycry:

4047466 I guess I wasn't clear enough. They don't have to be ACTUAL oc's. I just need something to throw in to fill the count. If you have any clever names or suggestions for pony types or color schemes thats all I need

4047634
Nah, you can use her. I really havn't done much with her, so it doesn't matter.

4047333 How about a thestral filly? that's at least interesting and makes her stick out a bit???

4435531 I don't know if you've finished reading the story yet, but his comment did inspire me to write that happening after where I initially ended the story. That's where the bonus chapter comes in and gives Rose Blossom some actual characterization, which I really liked. I also have more chapters planned out that focus on Rose and Scootaloo's relationship, and Rose's first day of school.

If you'd like to see two interpreations of Rose Blossom you can check out the links here.
Show style Rose Blossom: th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/118/d/c/rose__a_cute_filly__point_commission___by_paul_by_kyuubinaruto18-d7gccto.png

Adventurous Rose Blossom: fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/118/a/9/rose_blossom_my_oc_by_kyuubinaruto18-d7gcbdd.jpg

I've been struggling what to say about this fanfic. I rarely comment on a writng, mostly because it has to be exceptionally good or extremely good at handling emotions and story. Reading through it from the begginning till the very last words I realized that this is an outstandingly cohesive work, well thought-out and what is the best in this in my opinion is that you gave a us a new angle on Scootaloo's background and life. You managed to bring me to the verge of crying and in occassion I did little.
In every chapter I felt that Scootaloo matures, a bit too much for her age but considering what she went through it's not surprising. The fact that she was adopted by an erthpony mare, who was old, lonely and mostly depressed, was brilliant for two reasons: it had the potential to bring in tragedy (what you did and it was sooo sad :fluttercry:, but well written) and it showed that a simple pony can change another's life no matter how small she is.
Another strength of this fic is the wide range of emotions portrayed. Scootaloo's inner turmoils were believable, not forced, and what I feared mostly, that too much crying on Scootaloo's part would make this "event" loose it's significance, didn't happen. Every time she broke into crying I (and I'm sure those too who read it) cried with her, because the emotions were real. Also, I loved how Scootaloo found a new home, parents and a little sister. I loved the names as well as Rose Blossom. She is adorable and a believable character too.
I'm not too good with words, but I really hope you'll get what I meant with the stuff above. You wrote something beautiful. I hope you know that. :twilightsmile:

4683476 I thank you for your review. Writing this story from a first-person perspective helped it to really have a big impact. It allowed her hero worship to shine through. It allowed her pain and frustration of being weak or crippled to be fully showcased.

The basics of the story came from the two fanon elements of Scootaloo's an orphan, and Scootaloo can't fly. This is a story in which I kinda lived the character. I struggled a lot with it, and where to put certain scenes. I wanted to give up sometimes because of just how long it became. But in the end I think it turned out nice, and I'm glad you found it such a powerful work.

If you're interested this story has a sequel in which the little sister and family aspect plays more of a role instead of Scootaloo's own growth. It's funny how that simple comment that brought about the bonus chapter made me explode with more inspiration and it wound up LONGER than this story. And because of reader request I have ANOTHER sequel in the works for it. This story just won't die! If you do read the sequel I hope you find that it may not be as big on action but it keeps the heart that you made you fall in love with the original. :heart:

Here's the link to it. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/192577/big-sis-scootaloo

4718904 Thank you. A part of this fanfic began because I wanted to include Scoot's two most common fanon elements, being an orphan and not being able to fly. And by the end neither is true...kinda.

If you liked Rose Blossom there is a sequel to this story that focuses less on Scootaloo's growth and more on training Rose and the sisterly bond between them, and Rose gets to develop just like Scootaloo.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/192577/big-sis-scootaloo.

I just checked your profile and you seem to have a lot of love for Scootalove, so I think you'd enjoy the sequel. Even though the focus is more on Rose Scootaloo develops more and near the end gets the biggest joy of her life as she gets signed to a scooter group.

4726820 So I have a question. Did you finish the story or not? You made it sound like you did, but with this comment it sounds like you're just starting out. Or maybe you're rereading it?

Anyway, thanks for the faves. I hope you continue to enjoy my stories. :scootangel::heart:

4729862 no I haven't yet only 2 chapters left though

4734316 So you wrote that you were starting on the sequel but what did you think about the last few chapters of this story? Did you like the dragon fight and the ending? Just curious. :derpytongue2:

4750390 yeah I liked it the fight was cool might re read this story some time :pinkiehappy:

this brought me to tears :applecry::heart:

4861866 Thank you. There's a sequel to this story if you're interested. It's more focused on Rose Blossom and their relationship instead of solely Scootaloo.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/192577/big-sis-scootaloo

4871791 I don't know how real to life it actually is, but a state of shock after loss is part of the grieving process. When certain things get too intense the body/mind shuts down certain things to maintain sanity. Basically Scootaloo's feeling of loss was so intense that, if she hadn't shut down her emotions, she would have broken entirely.

Looks good, definitely will read. RIP JustAnotherBrony, didn't know you but wish now that I had.

4863307 Your welcome and even though the cuteness killed me it also brought me back to life:derpytongue2:

5876854 I already finished it! I read really fast:twilightblush:

5876876 So did you start on the sequel yet? I see you faved it.

5876878 Yeah I started it, I was reading it when I got your reply!

Very good book I think i caught up in every book you write now.

Login or register to comment