• Published 7th Feb 2014
  • 3,345 Views, 79 Comments

Business is booming - Flutterfan457



Big Mac changes in a way which catches the eye of a certain young dragon.

  • ...
18
 79
 3,345

Chapter 3

The next day Twilight and Spike spent the morning in the library, cleaning and organizing as usual. Twilight noticed Spike seemed to mumble to himself as he worked, like he was arguing with himself. She walked to him quietly, hoping to hear what he was mumbling. Spike worked slightly halfhearted, his attention on his thoughts, feeling a mix of infatuation and nervousness. On one hand, he wanted to ask Big Mac is she would go out with him, especially after what happened last night. On the other hand, Spike didn't know how Rarity would react. Seeing how she reacted to what happened in her boutique, Spike thought she wouldn't mind. That was the problem though. Spike figured Rarity would be at least a little jealous, but she looked like she wanted to get rid of him. This made him wonder if Rarity ever really cared about him or took him seriously. Spike didn't want to believe it, but it made some sense. Never really giving him a real chance, her attention little more than flirting. Spike felt himself droop a bit in sadness. He didn't want to have to choose between Rarity and Big Mac but Spike knew he couldn't be with them both. The more he thought about it, the more it seemed like he should be with Big Mac. She talked to him, really enjoyed his company, and was unbelievably beautiful. Spike didn't know if they would work long term, but they could at least try to have a relationship.

...So why did he still feel so uncertain?

Spike sighed and stopped his work. No matter how much he thought about it, he couldn't shake the feeling of unease. Twilight noticed his sad look which bothered her after seeing him so happy the night before. Twilight put a hoof on his shoulder to get his attention. Spike only turned slightly at her touch, his uncertain look still in place.

"What's wrong?"

Spike thought for a moment, wondering if Twilight would understand.

"Do you...Does Rarity really care about me?'

Twilight blinked for a second in surprise at the question. While there had never been any romance between them, Twilight knew Spike and Rarity had a solid friendship. Twilight pulled Spike into a gentle hug.

"Why aren't you sure?"

"Cause...when Big Mac hugged me, she looked excited and happy."

Spike's face drooped to a very sad frown.

"Does she want to get rid of me?"

Twilight recoiled in shock which slowly turned to anger. She wasn't certain what exactly happened or what Spike saw, but whatever it was, it made Spike upset, which made her blood boil. Twilight picked up Spike with magic, placed him on her back and left the library, setting off with an angry canter.

"Where are we going?"

"To settle this, once and for all!"

Spike felt a little intimidated by Twilight's vicious tone. He decided to sit and wait, hoping she wouldn't cause a big problem as usual.
~
After a few minutes, Twilight arrived at Carousel Boutique, no less upset as her mane was becoming slightly frazzled and her nostrils flared as she took deep breaths. Twilight quickly knocked hard on the door.

"Coming!"

Spike heard Rarity inside and wanted to warn her, but feeling Twilight's agitation made him hold his tongue. A second later, Rarity opened the front door.

"Welco-"

Rarity froze in terror seeing Twilight. Spike tried to rub Twilight's back to calm her while Rarity tried to speak.

"H-h-hello Twilight, Spike. What...wh-what brings-"

"Rarity, we need to talk. Now!"

Rarity gulped and nodded nervously as Twilight entered. She set Spike on the ground and spoke to him in a much softer tone
.
"Stay put for now, okay?"

Spike nodded in understanding. Twilight turned back to Rarity who quickly led her to a room in the back. Once inside, Twilight slammed the door shut.

"You need to stop this, Rarity!"

"What do you-"

"You know what I'm talking about!"

Twilight continued on, yelling about Rarity being selfish and petty but Rarity shouted back in her defense. Unfortunately, neither one thought to put a sound barrier on the room, letting their fight reach past the door. While it wasn't loud enough to reach outside, it was enough for Spike to hear everything. Hearing the two yelling accusations back and forth sounding like mortal enemies made his stomach turn with guilt. Spike wanted to do as Twilight told, but their constant yelling was making him so upset he ran out of the boutique. Spike slowed his pace as he made some distance, trying to keep his feelings under control. Thankfully, most ponies were occupied with running their stands and errands. Spike leaned against a wall, letting his mind go blank and simply enjoy the peaceful, relatively quiet market. Spike wished he could set things right, but it seemed like he made a huge mess without trying. Like what happened with the breezies. Spike continued to brood until he heard someone talking.

"Thank ya kindly, Big Mac. I can't believe I forgot a whole wagon worth of apples!"

"T'ain't nothin' AJ."

Spike perked up immediately hearing Big Mac's voice. He hid behind a rose bush and saw Big Mac wishing Applejack goodbye. Spike noticed Big Mac seemed to be a little messy, like she had just been working hard. To him, it made Big Mac seem a little more appealing, but Spike wasn't certain why. But he knew just the sight of her made him feel a little more at ease. Spike carefully followed after her, doing his best to stay out of sight.
~
In the boutique, Twilight and Rarity had finally stopped their shouting match. They panted lightly trying to keep their emotions under control. Twilight sighed as she spoke first.

"Rarity, I-"

"No, Twilight, you...You are right about some things."

"But I shouldn't have let my temper loose like that. I'm sorry."

Rarity wiped a stray hair from her eyes awkwardly. She knew what needed to be done but part of her had no desire to do so. Twilight put a hoof on her shoulder and looked her intently in the eye.

"Rarity, please. I understand you like having him around to show you so much attention. But you know that it's not right to lead him on like this."

Rarity lowered her gaze as her ears did the same.

"Spike and Big Mac have something very special. They care about each other, maybe even love each other."

"I know, but..."

Rarity sighed sadly.

"I'll...I'll tell him, Twilight. He'll be furious with me...but he has every right to be."

Twilight smiled and gave Rarity a hug.

"Thank you."

Rarity returned the hug happily. Twilight broke the hug and turned to open the door.

"Spike?"

Twilight looked around for him in the back area.

"Spike, where are you?

"Twilight. Did we soundproof the door?"

Twilight stiffened at the realization.

"Oops."

~

Spike had followed Big Mac back to Sweet Apple Acres, being careful to stay out of her sight. Spike wanted to talk to Big Mac, maybe even ask her out but the feelings of uncertainty kept creeping back into his mind. Between thoughts of Rarity not caring for him and she and Twilight fighting, Spike honestly didn't want to take a chance and make things worse. Spike just layed on a tree and watched Big Mac work, plowing the field and bucking apples. Spike was a bit taken aback at the sight. Big Mac seemed to glisten with perspiration which only accentuated her powerful build. Spike was surprised how appealing he found it. While Rarity was certainly beautiful, having a slim shapely figure, Big Mac was also well shaped but it was due to her well toned and firm build. As he watched, Spike found himself thinking back to last night. Being in Big Mac's strong yet very gentle caring hug gave him a sense of security and kindness. Spike let his mind drift happily as he watched Big Mac. He lost track of the time, not caring about anything else. Spike felt like he could stay there all-

"Howdy Spike!"

Spike jumped and fell to the ground when someone greeted him loudly. He looked behind him and saw Applebloom smiling at him. Behind her was Applejack who had a quizzical look.

"What are y'all doin' here?"

"Nothing..."

Applejack raised her brow at Spike as he fidgeted nervously
.
"Were you spying on Big Mac?"

"N-no."

Applejack looked Spike directly in the eye making him shrink back in fear. Applebloom decided to call to Big Mac.

"Big Mac! Spike's here to see you!"

Big Mac stopped her work and looked in the direction of the shout. She saw her sisters waving at her as well as Spike with them. Seeing Spike made Big Mac perk up a bit as she trotted toward them. Spike backpedaled a bit, worried that Big Mac would be upset with him, but stopped as someone grabbed him.

"Oh no you don't."

Applejack picked up Spike by his spines and carried him to Big Mac with Applebloom right behind them. Applejack dropped Spike to his feet as Big Mac sat down in front of him.

"What brings you here, little buddy?"

"Um...I just...wanted to see you again."

Big Mac felt a little confused as Spike's meek tone. She had seen Spike act nervous and shy around her, but this was different. Spike held his head low and his shoulders were slumped. Spike didn't say anything which made Applebloom pipe in.

"Why don't y-"

Big Mac hushed Applebloom and leaned down to Spike.

"What's wrong, Spike?"

Spike fiddled with his feet, feeling guilty with himself.

"Well...Twilight and Rarity got in a fight."

"Over what?"

"Me..."

Big Mac recoiled slightly.

"What? Wh-why would you think that?"

"Spike!"

Everyone turned and saw Twilight and Rarity running toward Spike. Twilight immediately grabbed Spike in a hug.

"Spike, don't run off on me like that!"

"I...I'm-"

"Twilight, what is going on?!"

Twilight looked and saw Applejack giving her a cross look.

"Spike is here hiding because you two got into a shouting match! what in the hay were you fighting about?!"

Twilight and Rarity hung their heads in shame. Rarity was the first to talk.

"I've done things I am not proud of me. Twilight came to...correct me."

"No Rarity, don't try to cover what I did. I lost my temper and..."

Rarity and Twilight looked ashamed of themselves. Big Mac cleared her throat to get everyone's attention.

"Let's go inside everypony. We need to clear the air."

Everyone nodded in agreement and followed Big Mac inside the house. Everyone headed to the living room not saying a word. Big Mac gestured to the kitchen.

"Do y'all need some privacy for this?"

Twilight and Rarity both nodded while Spike fidgeted in uncertainty. Twilight put a hoof on Rarity's shoulder.

"I'll talk to him first."

Rarity nodded and Twilight led Spike into the kitchen. Once the door was shut, Twilight sat down in front of Spike, who braced himself for a lecture.

"Twilight, I...I'm sorry I ran off-"

"It's alright, Spike. I understand I made you upset."

Spike was caught by surprise by that. Twilight gently pulled Spike closer.

"But I wasn't upset because of you. I...I'm tired of seeing you being taken advantage of."

Spike lowered his head sadly as the thought of Rarity not caring for him was almost confirmed. Twilight lifted his gaze to hers and looked him intently in the eye.

Whatever happens with Rarity or Big Mac or whoever, I'm here for you Spike. I promise nothing will change that."

Spike smiled and gave Twilight a hug which she returned, using her forelegs and wings. Spike knew Twilight was there for him, but it was still nice to hear her say it. They stayed in their embrace for a short time until Twilight broke it and looked nervous.

"It's alright, Twilight. Honestly, I just want to settle this now."

"Are you sure?"

Spike nodded firmly. Twilight hesitated for a moment but after a deep breath she turned to the door and walked into the living room. Twilight nodded to Rarity who walked nervously to the kitchen. Twilight stopped her for a moment.

"Please be gentle."

Rarity nodded and continued on. Rarity entered the kitchen and gently shut the door behind her. She tried to look Spike in the eye, but the look on his face made it very hard. Spike had a look that was part fearful and hurt, like he knew what Rarity would say. She honestly felt dealing with an angry Twilight was less emotionally taxing. Rarity worked up as much courage as she could to explain herself.

"Spike...I-"

"Wait, Rarity, please just answer me one question."

Rarity was taken aback by Spike's bluntness but nodded. Spike took a breath and nervously asked what he needed to.

"Is there any chance for us?"

Rarity felt her blood freeze at Spike's question. She didn't want to tell Spike so bluntly. Rarity had always considered Spike a wonderful friend even one of her best, but she honestly couldn't see a real relationship working between them. But Rarity had wanted to soften the blow and explain why she did what she did. Spike waited fearfully, bracing himself for any answer. Rarity finally let go of her pride and gave Spike the truth.

"No..."

Spike didn't respond at first. He was expecting that answer. He had partly known there was little chance that Rarity felt the same thing he did.

So why did it still hurt so much?

Spike felt his chest tighten and tears form in his eyes. He didn't want to let himself lose control, not in front of-

Spike felt himself being pulled into a tight hug and Rarity nuzzling him.

"I'm so sorry, Spike. I'm so sorry."

Rarity held onto Spike for a short time, a few tears escaping her. Spike returned the hug out of empathy. No matter if she didn't love him like he wanted, Spike still cared about Rarity. Finally, Rarity let go of Spike to wipe her face.

"I never meant to hurt you Spike. You've always been such a good friend to me, I didn't want to lose that."

Spike couldn't help but smile at that. After everything, Rarity did actually care about him. Not the way he wanted, but it was still special.

"Well, I'm still glad to be part of that."

Rarity returned Spike's smile and gently rubbed his cheek with her hoof which he held caringly.

"Thank you Spike, for being such a good friend."

"Anytime."

The two left the kitchen and returned to the others waiting. Everyone looked hesitant to ask what happened, but Twilight spoke up.

"Is...is everything alright?"

"Yes. Spike and I have settled things."

"Boy howdy! That went a lot better than I expected."

"Well, that's because Spike is a wonderful young man, a very good friend."

Spike smirked at Rarity's comment but didn't say anything. He still wasn't sure how he felt about Big Mac. Spike did consider her a friend, not to mention how beautiful she was. But after everything that happened recently, Spike wasn't sure how he felt.

"Um...Big Mac?"

"Yeah, Spike?"

"There's something we need to talk about."

Big Mac nodded and followed Spike back to the kitchen. The others watched them leave nervously, some biting their hooves. In the kitchen, Spike stood awkwardly as he tried to think what to say. He knew Big Mac was reasonable, but she had gone through a lot to get his attention.

"Big Mac...I...I do like you and you're really...really pretty."

Big Mac blushed furiously at that and hid her smile behind her hoof.

"And...I...would like to,um..."

Spike froze for a second, afraid to say what he felt. Obviously he never had this problem with Rarity, so he had no experience with this situation. For a second Spike said nothing as he tried to think of the right words, but Big Mac gently put a hoof on his shoulder.

"You're not ready for a relationship, are you?"

"I...no..."

Spike lowered his head thinking he ruined his chance but Big Mac lifted his gaze to hers and smiled.

"It's alright little buddy. I understand you need some time."

"Really?"

Big Mac smiled in amusement and leaned closer to Spike.

"Remember how this all started Spike?"

"Good point."

"You take whatever time you need to set yourself right. I know it'll be worth the wait."

Spike smiled shyly and blushed.

"But could you do me one favor?"

"Alright."

Big Mac nuzzled Spike lovingly as she continued.

"If there's anything you want to talk about, don't ever be afraid to tell me. I'll be here for you."

Spike was left speechless. He didn't think Big Mac would be this kind to him. Big Mac just lovingly rubbed Spike's cheek.

"I know what it's like to keep things bottled up inside."

Spike smiled in gratitude and gave Big Mac a hug, which she returned. Spike felt like he had just received something amazing. After the initial shock and confusing feelings, he knew he had a good friend in Big Mac. Big Mac was just thankful the man she longed for was giving her a chance as a friend. The two stayed in their embrace for sometime, cherishing the feeling of love. They were broken from their embrace by the sound of someone saying something at the door. Big Mac looked confused but Spike rolled his eyes in annoyance. He walked next to the door and quickly pulled it open, making the ponies leaning against it fall forward onto the floor. Spike crossed his arms and gave them a snarky look while Big Mac smirked in amusement. Twilight just smiled sheepishly.

~

In Canterlot, Discord was finishing his plans to start granting wishes in Manehatten. It had taken a few weeks to convince Celestia to allow him to try it again after the Big Mac incident. Though like before there wasn't much Celestia could argue against it. Aside from some awkwardness between Spike and Big Mac, no harm had been done and Celestia had to relent. As Discord giggled to himself about his next tent, a pegasus soldier approached him.

"Ser, her majesty has asked to speak to you."

"Ah yes,one last feeble attempt to talk me out of my fun."

Discord snapped his fingers and instantly teleported to the throne room where Celestia was waiting for him on her throne.

"You rang?"

"Yes Discord. But not to dissuade you from your plans. You actually have a letter from Ponyville."

Celestia levitated a rolled up scroll to Discord which he took and looked at curiously. He didn't think either Lyra or Big Mac would ask to have their wishes reversed. Little Twilight had probably sent a letter demanding such. Of course there was little she could do just like her teacher. Discord opened the letter, not expecting what he read.

'Dear Discord:
Thank you for what you did for me. I never imagined I'd ever have a chance of feeling as happy as I am now. Not only am i much more comfortable with myself, but I even have the man I wanted. What we have is very special. He is maybe the best friend I have ever had. I could never have this if it wasn't for you. You will always have a friend in me.
Sincerely,
Big Macintosh'

Discord read over the letter once more. He was half expecting an angry letter, but not this. What surprised him most is how it made him feel. Discord figured he should be angry or annoyed that his only success so far had backfired. But reading the letter made him feel...touched. Similar to when Fluttershy called him a friend. Celestia felt her curiosity peak seeing the odd look on Discord's face and walked toward him.

"What is it?"

"I...don't know what to make of this."

Discord gave the letter to Celestia to read over. After looking it over a few times, Celestia's face went from curious to a warm smile.

"Discord, this is wonderful!"

"Yes, yes, rub in my failure, why don't you?"

"No, you don't understand. Maybe your intentions weren't the best, but in the end you did help somepony as only you could."

Discord put on a face of disdain to hide his feelings of uncertainty and slight tenderness. He hated to admit it, but finding out Big Mac had turned out well made him happy for her. Celestia put a hoof on his shoulder.

"This is why I let you free. Everypony has a job that only they can fill and somepony who needs them. This was your role to fill for Big Mac. I don't believe she would have ever found real happiness if not for you. That is something you can be proud of."

Discord's face turned to show his real feelings. The thought that someone was actually better off because of him caused him to pause in thought. He felt a sensation of warmth and gratitude, something he only felt once before. After a few seconds, Discord shook his head and returned to his snarky expression.

"Well, back to the drawing board."

Discord snapped his fingers and disappeared. Half a second later, his lion paw appeared, took the letter and vanished. Celestia smiled warmly at the situation. What she had feared would cause more problems for Ponyville had actually eased Big Mac's troubles and taught an important lesson in friendship. Of course he was digging his heels but Celestia could tell Discord was beginning to truly change for the better.

"Someday soon, Discord. You will understand."

THE END

Comments ( 22 )

Well that was a horrible point to end the story at.

4432453 the thing is I meant this to be more realistic where rather than Big Mac and Spike get together right away, they simply take the first step towards building a relationship. Also, Discord's part at the end is response to the season 4 finale and how Discord changes. This shows he was starting to become a better person beforehand

I hate to say this but you have many many spelling errors and extra letters in words. I get that Big MAc was a intentional undercapitalization but you may want a editor to go thru this again. Other than that decent story, felt a little rushed on the ending though.

It does need a little cleaning, but it seems like an alright end.

4432662 I kinda tried to do what you did for the original and leave it open ended. I had always wanted to end it with Discord but after the season finale I wasn't certain if the original ending would be appropriate so I tried something different.

Finally, Rar5ity let go of Spike to wipe her face.

DJ Rar5ity has entered the establishment :duck:

...
I...
I am trying... very hard... to keep my inner grammar nazi in check...

You... you need to proofread. You need an editor. You need spell check.

I am trying to keep my calm... but with every. Little. Error I came across, I felt the urge to strangle something increase.

Please, please, please, check your work before posting. A story this good should not be marred by such rage inducing grammar...

4433804 Unfortunately I have to agree. I enjoyed reading this story and the fun that came with it, but all of these errors on this, it just feels like such a sour note to leave on.

I couldn't help but notice the errors, but the story itself was captivating enough for me to overlook them & keep reading.

It would be nice if those errors could be polished up though, so the stories presentation matches it's content & make it nicer to its future readers.

4433804 that Is a big problem I have. I am really bad at spotting my own errors and I don't have access to ms word most of the time. So you're welcome to come at me with a Panzershreck.

needs to be cleaned up but other than that good job, i would like to request an epilogue :eeyup:

You gonna follow this up with a story where they do hook up, or is this the end of the road for this pairing?

4437481 not certain. I'll have to think about it.

Got around to reading this after it was cleaned up going by the comments, I think it's great

4732968 guess we can call her Macshep.

Like 100, and well earned.

A well told story, though you need to do a full read-through and clean it up. There's a scattering of missing letters throughout, misplaced periods, missing quotation marks. Nothing obnoxiously obvious, just a lot of little things.

Still, 'twas an enjoyable read and a good take on the ideas. I like how it didn't end in insta-love, that was refreshing as well.

Oke!
New ship name loading...
17% loaded
53% loaded
84% loaded
100% loaded
Ship name loaded

...Mike!
:rainbowhuh:
Spac!
:rainbowderp:
Big Spikeintosh.
:ajbemused:
Macintospike!
:rainbowlaugh:
I give up...

And I'm back.

________________

On one hand, he wanted to ask Big Mac is she would go out with him, especially after what happened last night.

if
_________

"Do you...Does Rarity really care about me?'

"
_____________

Rarity gulped and nodded nervously as Twilight entered. She set Spike on the ground and spoke to him in a much softer tone
.
"Stay put for now, okay?"

Rarity gulped and nodded nervously as Twilight entered. She set Spike on the ground and spoke to him in a much softer tone. "Stay put for now, okay?"
____________

"What are y'all doin' here?"

ya

[Y'all is a contraction of you all, and is a second person plural pronoun. Since I usually get into pages long comments on it, I'll save us both the trouble and give links. That and as a southerner, it's one of the few things that bugs me when seeing the southern dialect miswritten (Which you haven't really done all that much in this fic.).

http://memphis.about.com/od/midsouthliving/qt/yall.htm

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2011/09/southern-american-english

http://www.alphadictionary.com/blog/?p=16

As mentioned in the last link. Y'all to an individual is only appropriate when talking to an implied group. I hope that clears up everything.]
______________

Applejack raised her brow at Spike as he fidgeted nervously
.
"Were you spying on Big Mac?"

Applejack raised her brow at Spike as he fidgeted nervously. "Were you spying on Big Mac?"
____________

He looked behind him and saw Applebloom smiling at him.

Applebloom pipe in.

"Why don't y-"

Big Mac hushed Applebloom and leaned down to Spike.

Apple Bloom

____________

Applebloom pipe in.

"Why don't y-"

Apple Bloom pipe in. "Why don't y-"
____________

what in the hay were you fighting about?!

What
___________

Whatever happens with Rarity or Big Mac or whoever, I'm here for you Spike. I promise nothing will change that."

Needs beginning " marks.
___________

"Is...is everything alright?"

"Yes. Spike and I have settled things."

"Boy howdy! That went a lot better than I expected."

"Well, that's because Spike is a wonderful young man, a very good friend."

Who's speaking?
_________________

"Well, that's because Spike is a wonderful young man, a very good friend."

drake

[Humans have young men. Ponies have young colts. Dragons have young drakes, or whelps [young drakes].]
_______________

Big Mac was just thankful the man she longed for was giving her a chance as a friend

drake
___________

"Ser, her majesty has asked to speak to you."

"Ah yes,one last feeble attempt to talk me out of my fun."

Sir

Space between one and ",".
_______________

Not only am i much more comfortable with myself, but I even have the man I wanted.

I

drake
______

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

Still this was an adorable ship fic. You coud cut out the sex tag. Since there's no implied sex, at all. Or even the act of sex. Other than some paragraph structural errors, in terms of dialog, and some little snafu's here and there. This was an altogether enjoyable fic. And really gave me a new favorite ship. Although I don't think it's really been done yet.

I hope we can get more of this, it has lots of potential.

As for the thing about man. Oxford Dictionary defines it as either an adult human male, or the human race. Still enjoyed reading this.

5367582

Mac'nSpike [like Mac'n Cheese, but better for you. As long as you ignore the Dawwabetus.]

Is this getting a sequel?

And you should cut out the Sex tag. There's no implied sex or sex acts in the story. Still from what I remember this is a cute fic, I'm definitely going to re-read it when a sequel comes up. And then I'll reread all of it from the beginning. Since from what I can remember, this is an adorable tale.

Needs sequel…

Same errors as last read through.

8543122

Yes it does.

Login or register to comment