• Published 1st Jan 2014
  • 11,422 Views, 329 Comments

The Royal Audience: A Mole Cricket Story - Bucking Nonsense



Mole Cricket, a changeling, faces the greatest challenge of his life so far: Convincing all four princesses that he deserves a chance at earning citizenship in Equestria.

  • ...
22
 329
 11,422

Something Something

"So... explain this whole 'Morphic Resonance' thing to me one more time."

Twilight Sparkle chuckled as she and Cricket sat at a table in a cafe in Canterlot. Across the street, Fluttershy had taken Miss Bunny Wunny Cuddlewumpus into a darling little store that sold clothing for pets. She'd insisted, since a little bunny that adorable needed at least one dress. Cricket had suggested that Fluttershy pick it out, instead of himself, since the commander had admitted he had no sense of fashion. They had an hour to spend before the train to Ponyville pulled into the station, and while they watched, through the store window, as the little rabbit put on dresses with surprising enthusiasm, Cricket asked about his new favorite subject.

Twilight Sparkle said, in a somewhat scholarly tone, "Well, 'Morphic Resonance' is the tendency of a creature to maintain, to some degree, the qualities they naturally possess, even when changed into another shape. It's part of why most transformation spells aren't permanent. Your body knows the shape it's supposed to be in, and will immediately rebel against anything that tries to change it. I once accidentally changed a frog into an orange. The frog was back to normal before the day was out."

Cricket nodded. He understood that part well enough. "But an incredibly power spell," he asked, "like the one that Sombra cast, can overrule that?"

The princess rubbed her chin in thought, then nodded, saying, "In a manner of speaking. If Sombra had cast his curse upon the ponies of the Crystal Empire when they were prepared to fight against him, it wouldn't have been as effective, because they didn't feel like monsters. However, because it was cast when they had been forced to abandon their fellow citizens..."

"...it worked," Cricket finished, "because at that moment, they felt like monsters for doing something so terrible, even if, for nearly all of them, it was against their will."

"Exactly," Twilight answered, nodding. "How you feel can have a major impact on how effective a spell like this is. And now, a thousand years later, that curse is so interwoven with who you are that your body is preventing the curse from being truly broken. After all, you've been a changeling your whole life, so your body is under the impression that it's supposed to be that way. However..."

Cricket snorted, amused, as he said, "...If, according to Celestia, I can become enough like a pony on the inside, my outsides will change to match, all on their own."

That was the real purpose behind the "One Year Probationary Citizenship": to see if it might be possible for the curse to be broken if he just immersed himself into pony society. Supposedly, it was to see if it could cause his inner-"pony"-ness to come out, and break the curse naturally. It seemed a little ridiculous, but then, magic was often ridiculous. If, even after gaining full citizenship, he did not change into a pony, the princesses believed that the curse would be weak enough that the four princesses working together could break it. And if it wasn't, they'd keep trying, year after year, until it worked.

Fluttershy waved to them, holding up Miss Bunny in an adorable blue dress for them to see. The princess and the changeling waved back, smiling. After a moment, Cricket asked, "If it's not too much of a burden, would you mind not telling Fluttershy?"

Twilight was surprised, and couldn't help asking, "Why? I would have thought..."

Cricket chuckled and said, "Look, I appreciate what you and the other princesses have done so far, and are willing to do for me. But I've learned, from experience, not to get my hopes up too much: things have a bad habit of going wrong if you build up too many expectations." Cricket's face turned a little sad as he said, "If she decides that she wants to hang around with me even though I look like this, I wouldn't have a problem with that. Obviously. But, if she decided to stick around in the hopes that I became a handsome pegasus, and it never happens... well, I'd rather she be happy with somepony else than miserable with somebuggy like me."

Twilight Sparkle rolled her eyes, and said, "Right. Look, I think you're being a little melodramatic, but if that's what you want, I guess I can keep it a secret. For now. But you are going to have to tell her, sooner or later. Especially if the two of you become an item."

Cricket nodded. He supposed he could live with that.

As Fluttershy rejoined them with a shopping bag full of little dresses, Cricket took the little bag, along with the bunny, then lifted up his travel bag and said, "Well, I've got my things together. We can go anytime."

"I'm surprised you aren't taking some of that stuff your admirers gave you," Fluttershy said with a friendly smile.

Cricket chuckled, and admitted, "I was tempted, but until I have a home of my own, it would just be so much extra weight that I'd have no place to put. Besides, I've always been in the habit of traveling light. I can send for the other stuff once I have a trophy room to hang it all up in. At least Celestia was nice enough to open up a checking account for me to deposit all those bits into, so at least I'll have some pocket money when we get to Ponyville..."

Pocket money was an understatement, but Twilight wasn't going to go into that right now. Even after a year in the Crystal Empire, Cricket wasn't very well-versed about the ways of the world outside of the changeling military life. While he was certainly knowledgeable about laying low, blending in, and making quick exits, he knew little about what might be called high society, or economics. Otherwise he'd have realized by now that, in addition to more than twenty king's ransoms worth of bits, the various titles he had been given meant that he could walk into any bank, almost any place in the world, and ask for infinite credit, and the king, queen, empress, what have you, of that realm would willingly hoof the bill for whatever he needed, or wanted. Twilight would have to sit down and have a long talk with him about all of the privileges that he now enjoyed, not just as a citizen, but as one of the most heavily titled individuals in the world... when she was certain that he was, you know, actually capable of handling it. He was still having trouble coming to grips with the fact that, as a citizen, he would be able to own a house, and vote in local elections. If she suggested to the commander that he could afford a mansion, or even ten mansions, and fund a campaign to get himself elected to any high office in Equestria... well, his head would probably explode... and then explode again.

Small steps. She'd let him get comfortable with the idea that he could, in spite of being a changeling, live a normal life, before she started explaining to him that he could afford to live a much more interesting one.

Fluttershy asked Cricket, "We'll be in Ponyville before you know it. Are you excited?"

"Honestly," Cricket answered, "I'm a screaming ball of nerves inside. I've spent my entire life living, like any other changeling, on the edge of survival. But I was familiar with that, strange as that sounds, so it never frightened me. The prospect of living a peaceful life like... well, like any other creature in the world, scares me, like nothing on the battlefield ever has. But I'll deal with it. I'd have never gotten as far as I have if I was too afraid to jump into the unknown."

Comments ( 80 )

Nice, I really like this. I can't wait for the mentioned sequel to this storyline

Most excellent. :scootangel:

This fic always makes me smile :heart:

Cricket's feelings remind me of a quote.

"Enjoy the war, the peace will be terrible."

3763468 What the hell was that :rainbowderp:

Well that ending kinda kills the happy mood. So the sudden species are cursed to become monsters, and if they fully assimilate culturally as second class citizens to ponies, they might one day become just like them. That's some mark of Caine crap right there.

Now, I'm a pretty imperialist guy myself, but the whole thing just irks me. Not to mention, if I was ruling a country and was told about a group of people that could sustain off emotions, I would be like, how much of my labor force can I convert to them, like right now.

3763777
Massive love sphere of DOOM!
And the love rating? I'd say between 80 and one hundred gigahugs. Basically, it was an impossible amount of love for them to be able to consume, especially since it was already threaded into a forcefield.

3763833
Well, you're welcome to your own opinion of things, obviously. But have you ever wondered how much love an army of changelings would need in a day? And if The Canterlot Wedding is any indication, getting the love drained from your body feels like crap and leaves you weak. Sure, you'd gain a workforce that didn't need food, but you might also lose an equal number, or greater, of citizens who would be forced to feed those soldiers daily, and would be left incredibly exhausted in the process, meaning they're unable to work. And lets not forget, with enough love, these guys get superpowers: how long before they'd decide that they should be the ones in charge, and you should be doing their grunt work? No, turning them back into ponies is wisdom.

3763721
Victory Dance. I completed this freakin' story. All 24,774 words of it. I am feeling incredibly drained now.

3763692
For somebuggy literally taught nothing but war, since practically right after birth, adapting to society, rather than destroying it, would be the greatest challenge imaginable...

I think you need to write more in this series involving cricket.

3764170

Your own example of him getting it from children in a hospital ward, even while healing, which would presumably use more resources is pretty damning of of that idea, or shows the commander in a much worse light than you obviously intended for that scene. Given that you already showed people giving off the energy on their own, why would hoovering up hurt them anyway. Especially given the example in Canterlot, where it seems more likely some manner of control or confusion spell is used, given that Chrysalis was an awful enough actress and spy for other roles. Also, given the ease at which he jumps back is definitely not similar to a deficiency of something.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the rest of his unit.

3764408 Well, presumably, taking love by force drains it more quickly than it's produced, leading to some kind of emotional malnutrition. Or something, I'm just guessing.

Can't wait for the sequel.

3763721 Keith Apicary from screwattack

YOu have touched on something that most people never think of in these redemption stories... and that's how the psyche of the individual has to change to adapt to a new lifestyle... thank you for that!

I really want to see this series continued. Can't wait to see what the sequel looks like!

And now starts the calm before the storm named sequel.

3764888 Well it was horrifying

Loved this and the other part, i can't wait for the next one where we hopefully have more Cricket and Fluttershy.

From an earlier chapter concerning the Obedience spell:
"It is a terrible violation of free will, and use of the spell is considered one of the most terrible abuses of authority, with the most severe of punishments allowed by law."

Whose law?
It seems that there must be a higher authority above the country rulers. If this law comes from the people/ponies/whatever then a corrupt ruler would just put the whammy on the populace with the Obedience spell and have the law changed. If it comes from the rulers themselves, then they could just change it; once again the Obedience spell would ensure little to no opposition to the change (at least within the country).
So where does this law come from, and more importantly, who has the authority :trixieshiftleft: and power :trixieshiftright: to enforce it?

Maybe we'll see something in the sequel -- a sequel that I'm eagerly awaiting.
Thanks for writing this.
--Spade

3765861 Probably a variation on the golden rule. She who controls the sun makes the rules.

3766004
The big problem is that while he outranks them in other countries, he doesn't necessarily outrank them in the inter-house squabbling often portrayed in Equestria, though if that is conspicuously absent, then he may be being excluded from it.

As well, I wasn't talking about literal big hats, I was meaning that by distinguishing himself on the battlefield of politics, he's now a target above the rest.

It would be interesting to see him display nuances of PTSD in Ponyville.

3764170 We have only one example of that ever, and in that instance mind magic was used, plus the one using it held up a shield for days on end, it making them weaker isn't necessarily confirmed. Maybe it drains energy, but it was never confirmed. One is an Accident, Two is a Trend, Three is a Problem. And yes i took that from the internet somewhere. I don't even think that's the original quote, but it might be.

god damn i love this. another upvote another fav aaaaand a follow.
you are magnificent.

3763845
oh my god he totally is rust. good call.
your one of the few who would get why my soon to be sons first and middle names are going to be Samuel Vimes.

3765861 There's a thing called International Law. Basically, if the leader of a nation used the Obedience Spell in the modern era, the combined strength of the nations of the world would come down on the violator, free the enspelled subjects, and take the leader away to be judged. Remember, it is a spell, and spells can be removed.

3763833
Now, I don't want to spoiler anything, especially stuff that might come into play in future storiess, but here's something you might want to consider: As long as King Sombra lived, his curse continued, and only with his defeat could it end. That means, his power sustained the curse, and it would be impossible to remove until he died. His power kept the changelings in a delicate sort of balance: Just pony enough to still be self aware, but monstrous enough to be loathsome to themselves and others. He wanted those who fled him to suffer, as well as all who came after them. However, now that he has been defeated, there is no one to maintain that delicate balance. Yes, it is now established canon for my story that if he becomes enough like a pony, Cricket will become a pony. But what would happen if, instead of being a pony, a changeling decides to act more like a monster?
Sorry, quoted the wrong post, but still, it's kinda important...

I'm probably going to draw a lot of ire from this, but I have to say I dislike what this story became.

I really liked the original, and I like the story-line. I also have to say that this is quite well written. What is getting me is Cricket.
Great with kids? check
Brilliant military strategist? check
Natural leader? check
Humble? check
Every major character likes him moments after meeting? check
One of the mane 6 instantly falls in love with him? check
Massively wealthy? check
Destined to lead his race to salvation? check

Character flaws? err... no, can't find that one...

He went from a cute and well written OC to a stereotypical Gary Stu.

3768084
As I have liked to say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, there are a few points of order:
Brilliant military strategist? check He's skilled, but I wouldn't say brilliant. Brilliant compared to the average changeling? Yes. Brilliant compared to a career Equestrian general? No.
Every major character likes him moments after meeting? check Rainbow Dash attacks him immediately upon seeing him, and he publicly embarrasses her, unintentionally, but still. Given how prideful she is, she's gonna bear a little bit of a grudge for that. Of the other three, all they know of him is that he's a friend to Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy, and that the Princesses have said he's allowed to stay in Ponyville. He's going to have to earn their friendship, and Rainbow Dash's will be the hardest.
One of the mane 6 instantly falls in love with him? check Crush, maybe, but love... not yet. After all, they hardly know each other.
Destined to lead his race to salvation? check He has failed in that task: his race is scattered all over the place, and he has no idea where any of them are (we'll find out where later on). The plan has gone to crap, although he did, and will continue to, lay the groundwork for another to do so. It'll be somebuggy else's job to save changelingkind.

Character Flaws: He's socially awkward, at least in Equestrian society. His first response to any threat is to go Drill Sergeant on whatever angers him. His first idea of how to deal with most problems is violence. He has very little tolerance for incompetence, perceived or actual. And one thing that could put his budding relationship with Fluttershy in jeopardy: he has very little tolerance for cowardice, perceived or actual. And Fluttershy is Equestria's biggest scaredy cat.

3768301
Queen Chrysalis' ancestor, and the ancestors of the aristos... and every one that followed.

3768203
One of the classic problems in storytelling is "show vs. tell". Typically, an author has trouble showing the reader what he's trying to say. You have the exact opposite going on here.

You are telling us, both here and in the story, about Cricket's flaws and imperfections, but you are showing us the opposite.

For example, you say that Cricket is not comparable to an Equestrian military leader. But you show him impressing Shining Armor, Luna and Celestia with his tactics at every turn. One is the quintessential Equestrian military leader, and the other two arguably have centuries of experience each.

You bring up Rainbow attacking him as proof of them not getting along, but you show her falling into line the instant he puts on the drill instructor act. You also show Cadence, who he had kidnapped, and more importantly, Shining Armor, who's WIFE he kidnapped, become friends over the course of a single interview. Yes, he was under orders and acted respectfully, but that kind of instant forgiveness and friendship is a tough sell.

One of the mane 6 instantly falls in love with him? check Crush, maybe, but love... not yet. After all, they hardly know each other.

This was far easier to buy before Cricket announced that 'Shy would fall for him when talking to Twilight in this latest chapter. That may not be what you intended, but that's what it came across to me as.

To you Mole Cricket may be a normal guy with strengths and weaknesses like everyone else. But you're showing me a messiah.

But like you said, this is just an opinion. And not a very popular one at that. At the time of writing this it's the only criticism on the story.

3768704
Some of the stuff you say is kinda valid, I'll grant you. I mean, Cadance and Shining Armor did forgive Cricket kind of quickly, but part of that may have simply been the fact that neither of them are the type to really hold a grudge. In-Universe, they are considered to be among the genuinely nicest characters outside of the Mane Six.
The main reason Shining Armor and the princesses were impressed by Cricket's strategies in the story had to do with the fact that he was able to create an effective strategy for entering a fortified city, securing the main gates for the rest of the army, and rescuing the Queen, all when he was 10 years old (Shiny does mention his age in the chapter that follows, but also states that it would never work in Equestria. They'd have noticed all of the inconsistencies that were spotted by one of the other commenters here earlier).
Cricket did not announce 'Shy would fall for him, he was speaking in the terms of possibilities: his exact words were "If she decides that she wants to hang around with me even though I look like this, I wouldn't have a problem with that." He certainly likes her, but he wouldn't know how she feels about him. He just didn't like the idea of building a relationship with her based on an expectation of something that might never pan out (him turning into a handsome pony one day), If they did start a relationship, he'd want it based on who he is, and who she is, not what he might become one day.
Look, I kinda have to walk a fine line with Mole Cricket, for a lot of reasons: the most basic being that Fluttershy wouldn't be willing to get into a relationship with a jerk, even if he was just slightly a jerk. I mean, if somebody was mean to her, or just had a frightening personality in general, that kind of relationship would never fly. Fluttershy might forgive a scary face (it's not his fault he's a bug monster with fangs long enough to be used as can openers), but not a mean personality.
Regarding his successful browbeating of Rainbow Dash, I've mentioned it before, but I'll lay it out simple: Dashie is trying to get into the Wonderbolts, which is at least partly a military organization. She's already conditioned to respond a certain way when someone barks an order in a confident and authoritative voice. Cricket has been a ranking officer of some degree since he was eight years old, and was trained, by his mentor, to be able to give orders in such a way that subordinates obey them before they even stop to think about it. Naturally, this was embarrassing: being made to look like the underling of a changeling who did not actually have any authority over her, in front of her best friends? No wonder she was blushing when everypony else started laughing.

3767606
I figured as much. The way I saw it, there were two ways you could have gone about it. Either have the International Law option, where all the countries agree (more or less) on something, or you would need some physical higher power over these (seemingly?) immortal rulers. I was just curious which way you were going to take it.

-------------------------------------------

Also, on an unrelated note, please keep in mind what Aburi is saying. Not that I think that Cricket's become unbearable as a character, but there were many places that I was left going, "Uh-uh. No way is that even remotely believable." I understand your defense of Cricket's and the other actors' actions, but you may want to tone him down a wee bit... or at least have one of the other characters call him on being too "perfect".

When this started out as a comedy, that perfectness was hand-waved away as being silly and appropriate as something to make fun of and enhancing the comedy aspect. Now, you're taking this storyline concept into another direction. There might be some funny moments in this story, but you've left the realm of Comedy. Because of this, Cricket ought to change with the story... actually... your presentation of Cricket should keep up with direction that you're going. He'll still be the same ol' Cricket. :pinkiehappy:

Please, keep this in mind: Any answer, idea, or defense that you propose in the comments section may be better off in the story. Your ideas that is, not necessarily others' ideas. Remember, someday this story will still be here, and you won't be in a position to answer any questions or straighten any inconsistencies.

These are of course just my opinions, but I would implore you to give them some thought. I wouldn't bother to write them down if I didn't actually enjoy your stoies so much. I really want to see the upcoming stories also do well.

Chief, you've got something here, and I reallly would like for you to take this as far as possible. This could be the next big thing if you handle it right.

:rainbowwild: Bah, now I'm gushing. Please don't take these criticisms too harshly. Think about them, if you will, and I look forward the next story.

--Spade

3770082
Many thanks. I plan on starting a collection of stories soon, calling it something like "Tales Of The Cricket-Verse", or something like that. Some of them will be funny and/or cute stories about Cricket trying to adapt to Equestrian Society (both before and after he gains probationary citizenship), as well as how he manages to form a friendship with each of the Mane Six. There will even be a few stories about the Queen's Arrow. I have a few ideas for ones that would be adorable, funny, and very entertaining. Not going to spoil them for you, but I think you will enjoy them :pinkiehappy: . However, I ain't gonna start them today: got some stuff on my plate. I may start on them tomorrow... just as soon as I figure out which one I want to post first :twilightblush: .

3765487 honestly, I never cared too much about him

3771734
You can't argue with a hat like that.

Something Something Something Dark Side. Something Something Something Complete. :raritywink:

3772778
It just kind of made sense to me: Cadance and the changelings are linked, due to their first appearing in the same episodes. At the same time, Cadance is now ruler of the Crystal Empire. So... why shouldn't the changelings be linked, in some way, to the Crystal Empire? More importantly, why were there only Earth Pony Crystal Ponies in the Crystal Empire? Who ruled the Crystal Empire before Sombra did? What happened to that ruler? I just kinda figured it would be simplest if they were all connected.

Thoughts

1 Considering Dash's hot-headedness continuously getting her team into trouble, Cricket could do a lot of good by training her.

2 The story keeps being optimistic, despite how easily it could become a tragedy. I wonder what happens when the other changelings learn about what their commander is up to.

3775571
In regards to part two, I am trying to keep this fanwork in keeping with the overall tone of the show: Bright and cheerful, in spite of some of the stuff that they go through. I always reread the chapters before I post them, and if I feel there's anything even SLIGHTLY emo in it, I will scrap the chapter and start over. There's way too much emo crap on the interwebs as it is, I am not going to contribute to that, thank you very much. Serious is acceptable, there's some serious stuff in the show, but emo, no.

In regards to part one, I do have something planned as a bonding exercise, but it's not about training... or maybe it's just a specific kind of training, in the place that Rainbow Dash is weakest. I don't want to spoil it, but... Dashie wants to join the Wonderbolts, and she's a flight school drop out. An elite group like the Wonderbolts would have to have some pretty tight restrictions for who joins, and since pegasai are pretty competitive in general, you'd have to work pretty hard to KEEP your position once you have it. I wonder... does Spitfire know that Dashie never finished Flight School, and what kind of effect would that have on Dash's chances of STAYING a wonderbolt, should she get in, in spite of that?

This would do well with a sequel. I notice, however, that this and Your Fangs are Showing each have a very different feel. I think it would be proper for the sequel to this to also have a very different feel from its predecessors. Cricket is a likable character. He could work very well even in a very different sort of story.

3768704
A lot of my criticisms about the story fall in line with Aburi's, it just seems like Mole Cricket is too perfect to be believable.
That being said, the story itself, and the world building that it touch on and even the parts that it hints at, is fantastic. Your connections with the Empire make sense, the set-up for a more episodic storytelling is well done, and you chose an interesting way to show a characters background / motivations. I think I'll still stick around for your next Cricket story :twilightsmile:

Hello. I've been a bit of a lurker here for some time, and I believe this is my first review in a while...if not ever. So, I'll try not to waste it on pointless rambling.

There's been some talk about Mole Character, saying that he's a Marty/Gary Stu with 20% too much awesome and not enough faults. That is a suggestion with which I most emphatically disagree. There is one flaw in particular that strikes me as particularly glaring: he gets a bit jealous.

That whole conversation he had with Sombra, right before he hit him in the face, reminds me of many people who've grown up poor and resent those more fortunate than him. He basically screamed "I was born with NOTHING! I've had to claw and scrape and fight and WORK MY FLANK OFF for EVERYTHING I've ever had! And here YOU are, born with EVERYTHING, and you've done NOTHING to earn it! In fact, you've outright KICKED THE PEOPLE WHO GAVE EVERYTHING TO YOU IN THE BUCKING TEETH! YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO EXIST!" And, well, with King Sombra, that's right on the money. With Chrysalis and many other people in the Changeling Horde, that's absolutely correct.

But what about with others who are not so egregiously horrible? What about Rarity, who has a tendency for selfishness and vanity? Or Dash, who prances about like a stuffed peacock proclaiming her own awesomeness to all who would listen? Twilight, who's almost as socially awkward as a changeling trying to fit in in Equestria?

Well, with these three, it might take some time for Cricket to warm up to them, to say nothing of what they'd think about him. It's a natural tendency for those who give much to expect others to be just as giving as they are, and a changling is no exception. Rarity is generous, therefore she naively assumes that other ponies will be just as generous - an assumption that she had to learn not to trust, without losing her own generous spirit. Dash is loyal, both to her friends and to herself, and therefore she assumes that other ponies will be just as loyal to their friends and to themselves - and she has started to grow out of that flaw as well, as her loyalty as also been put to the test. Twilight Sparkle is smart...so naturally, she expects others to be able to keep up with her intelligence, and if they can't, well, she would rather not converse with them if if means slowing her brain down to do so. Pinkie Pie has beaten that one out of her over the length of the entire series.

Mole Cricket? He worked his flank off for years, obeyed every order from a Queen he personally disagreed with (taking some liberties with some of the orders he found mos questionable), and fought with every kind of obstacle including a curse placed upon his own race. He trained recruits and kept them alive because that was his job, and it was his purpose to do that job well. He got distinctions not for their own sake, but for the competence he showed. He ate, slept, and breathed for his Horde, and naturally he would expect that level of devotion from almost everypony/buggy/one he meets. Ponies like Applejack (who sows expecting to get what she reaps and nothing more) and Fluttershy (who gives kindness in the hope that she will receive kindness, but ultimately expecting nothing in return)...those ponies he'd warm up to quickly. Authority figures like Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining Armor, and Twilight he would respect, because they do their jobs, they do them well, and they return respect when they see it as a duty inherent in those jobs. Pinkie Pie...well, nopony can get a bead on Pinkie Pie, so he'd probably learn to accept Pinkie for what she is simply by watching what other people do. But Rarity, who complains quite a bit even though she often has little reason to, especially when compared to what Cricket has had to go through? He's...not going to be a fan of that quality. And Rainbow Dash...well, you've already mentioned that her trust and love is going to be the hardest to win, and I agree on that, but Cricket is going to have a hard time giving her love and trust as well - especially because those things are the closest thing to currency he has, and he's not about to give them to a recruit who hasn't earned it.

So, yes, Mole Cricket's characterization is on par with those of the Mane Six, in my opinion. All seven of them have flaws, MAJOR flaws, but they don't make them any less exceptional. And all of them ARE exceptional beings, because they have to be - but I don't see anypony calling the Mane Six Mary Sues.

And with that, I conclude my review. I've quite enjoyed your stories, and will be following them with interest.

3821831
That is very accurate, honestly. In a way, Rarity is somepony he could get along with better than most ponies, since she was born into a family that was more than a little redneck, but is self-motivated into moving up in the world. Of course, it might take meeting them before he warms up to her personally and they become friends. Twilight is somepony he can respect because she earned her princess-ship. RD, on the other hand, is a different story. Dashie may be a prodigy herself, in respects to her flying ability, but she's also notoriously lazy.

If I ever did an Equestria Girls version of this story-verse, Cricket would probably be a child-soldier from a third world country.

3833339
I have read it, but I'm refraining from using them. There's a bit of a question as to whether they are 100% canon or not.

Login or register to comment