• Published 1st Jan 2014
  • 11,412 Views, 329 Comments

The Royal Audience: A Mole Cricket Story - Bucking Nonsense



Mole Cricket, a changeling, faces the greatest challenge of his life so far: Convincing all four princesses that he deserves a chance at earning citizenship in Equestria.

  • ...
22
 329
 11,412

Something Revealed

"Starting the interview without me?"

The door to the chamber was standing open, and Princess Cadance was walking in, followed closely behind by her husband, Shining Armor. The fourth princess looked cheerful, but Shining Armor looked angry. Furious, in fact. When he laid eyes on Twilight Sparkle, he seemed to relax slightly (he'd probably been worried that the big bad changeling might have somehow hurt his super-powered sister), but when his gaze fell upon Cricket, well...

It was about what the changeling had expected. The stallion was so furious Cricket half expected the knight to suddenly gain heat vision and blast Cricket to ashes. Given what had nearly happened to him, his wife, and the entire city of Canterlot, he could hardly be blamed for that.

Twilight Sparkle rushed over to Cadance, and the two of them began dancing while reciting a poem. "Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake." Cricket thought silently to himself that, while yes, that was an incredibly adorable little performance, it was also an excellent way of making certain that neither of them were changelings...

After the little show, Twilight explained that all she'd done was test the spell to be certain it would be effective on a changeling. She'd been concerned that it might not work: nopony had ever tried it on a somebuggy like him before. Cadance chuckled a little at the word "somebuggy", then look at Cricket for the first time... and stopped dead in her tracks, her shocked expression telling the changeling all he needed to know.

The princess walked up to Cricket, studying his face intently. Cricket looked Cadance in the eyes, and careful to keep his expression as neutral as possible, said, "Yes, your highness, it's me. And before you..." and that was as far as he got before Cadance slapped him in the face. It was a good slap, although Cricket had been slapped harder in the past, by individuals much angrier. The punch that Shining Armor delivered, however, was much more impressive. Cricket was lifted right off his feet, and then fell to the ground with a thud. While a changeling's exoskeleton was hard enough to withstand that kind of abuse, it didn't stop him from being rattled by the blow. The slap, he had expected, but the punch, that had taken him off guard...

As Cricket slowly picked himself up off of the floor, Luna and Celestia both began demanding explanations. The one they got left all three of the other princesses stunned.

Cadance, her face filled with anger, pointed at Cricket, and shouted, "He's the one who abducted me."

Sadly, yes, that was the case. The queen had given the order, and as distasteful as he had found the act, one of the principles he let himself be guided by was this: Never, ever, ever pass an order down to somebuggy else, just to get out of doing something you didn't want to do. That had caused the commander no end of problems in the past, but it had also earned him a great deal of respect from his subordinates, even if that had not been the intention...

Before Cricket could say anything, Shining Armor grabbed the changeling, then lifted him up and pulled him close, his expression of fury less than an inch from Cricket's face. The knight asked, his voice ice to his face's fire, "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't pound you into the ground like a tent peg." The stallion's other hoof reared back for another haymaker.

Cricket gasped out one word, "Orders!" The stallion's expression changed from one of barely restrained rage to one of confusion, his hoof lowering to the ground. After a moment, the knight seemed to realize what it was the changeling meant. His eyes narrowed, then asked, "You were following orders? Whose orders?"

Cricket asked, his own eyes narrowing in response, "Who do you think?" The knight gave Cricket a glare, then, after a moment, sighed, his expression changing to something much more like his normal self. He let the changeling go, then said, "We have a lot to talk about. Obviously. But I can't fault a soldier for following orders from his queen, especially since nopony was hurt in the process."

Cricket rubbed at his jaw, which was still stinging from the blow. After a moment, he grinned and said, "Thanks. Good form, by the way. Impressive follow-through. Very well executed. Do you give lessons?" At Shining Armor's confused look, the changeling laughed and said, "The punch, sir, the punch. Very well done. I haven't been hit that hard since the Sphinxopolis campaign, and that was from somebeastie twice my size, swinging a club!" After a moment, Shining Armor began to laugh, and Cricket couldn't help but join in. While not necessarily friends now, it seemed that there wasn't going to be a grudge held by either party now.

Cricket turned back towards the four princesses, who were now gathered together. The smiles of just a little while ago were gone. They weren't frowning, exactly, but their expressions were much more serious than before. It appeared that this little revelation had just knocked him down a peg in all of their estimations. He considered offering an explanation, some sort of justification, not just for his actions during the invasion, but also for his not having mentioned it. There had hardly been any time, of course... but just now, anything he said would just sound like hollow excuses.

He knelt before the four princesses, and said, as humbly as he could, "Your majesties, there is nothing I can say in my defense. If you wish to dismiss me, or banish me from your kingdom..." That was as far as he got before Twilight Sparkle cut him off.

"You don't need to apologize." Cricket's head raised up slowly as he looked up to see the youngest princess smiling. As the other three princesses looked at Twilight in surprise, she said to them, very plainly, "Not every kingdom is ruled by somepony, or somebirdy, buggy, bully, or beastie, who is just, wise, or kind. By his own admission, he was following orders from his queen. Had he refused, what do you think would have happened to him? More importantly, under what laws would he be held accountable? There are literally no laws in Equestria regarding how a changeling should act in our society, and historically, changelings have been treated like oversized pests, instead of sentient creatures. Under current law, PARASPRITES have more legal rights than a changeling does. That is something that, I think, is going to start changing very soon." She turned back to Cricket, and said, "I admit, I wish you had told me earlier, but I suppose there really hasn't been much time for that. Today has been quite busy. So, get back on your hooves. We were about to have an interview, if I remember right."

Luna and Celestia turned their gazes from Twilight Sparkle to Cadance, who, after a moment, took a deep breath, then let it out. "I suppose she has a point, and he has done a great deal more good than harm since then." the princess said, then gave Cricket a look. While not as friendly as Cricket would have preferred, the anger that had been there just a short time before was extinguished. "You will be paying for the damages you did to the Crystal Empire during your escapades earlier today, but I do believe you're good for it, so I'll let that drop. But let me warn you right now: if you were any other changeling in the world, barring your queen, of course, you would have been guaranteed a free ride from me, based just on your good behavior since the invasion failed. Since it IS you, however, you will have to impress me a bit before I give you my vote." Then, a real smile formed on her face as she added, "But not too much, I think: as one babysitter to another, you did an excellent job back there."

Cricket blushed bright blue as the four princesses began laughing.