• Published 30th Dec 2013
  • 1,621 Views, 10 Comments

Alone - Silver Melodies



Silver Melodies is a normal mare. But many think otherwise. While they mistreat her, she can't help but break.

  • ...
1
 10
 1,621

Alone

Alone

Darkness was her sanctuary, and shadows were her friends. No one loved her, or cared for her. She was neglected and outcast by the very people who had claimed to love her. Her own gifts were a curse, and it was for them she was mistreated. She was alone.

Silver Melodies was always a quiet mare, never really speaking at all unless she absolutely needed to. It was this trait that left her with little to no friends all her life. That didn’t bother her too much. She wasn’t terribly fond of most other pony’s company. However, once ponies got to know her, they found a very gentle and sweet spirit, one who cared deeply for those she loved, and a trust not given to many.

Her real talent was her singing. Her songs were melodious and calming, so sweet and silent, like the wind blowing through the grass. She could calm most any animal and even some ponies with her songs. At first she had been praised for it. Many different ponies had actually called her for help when they needed to be calmed down.

But nothing good ever lasts. She knew this too well. Silver looked at the mirror in front of her. She sat in this basement, locked away from the world. She thought back several days. Some pony had started circling a rumor that her ‘manipulative’ singing was coming from the fact that she was a witch. Every pony began to give her dirty looks, some even made rude gestures. Any time a pony caught her singing, they would throw things at her.

Next thing she knew and everyone began to hurt her no matter what she did. She couldn’t even leave the house, and so had to rely on friends like Fluttershy to bring her food and other supplies.

Once ponies found out Fluttershy was helping Silver Melodies, they began to pester and hurt Fluttershy. One after noon, Fluttershy confronted Silver.

“Silver? I’m sorry, but I can’t take it anymore.”

Silver nodded her head, knowing what this meant.

“I’m really sorry, but I have to stop helping you, or they may kill me.”

Silver nodded her head again, placing a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder. She whistled a little tune, and instantly the stress melted of Fluttershy’s face. “Thanks. I’ll visit when I can.”

After that, Silver rarely saw anypony. She tried sneaking out once or twice during the day, but got caught. It didn’t end to well after a public beating. Now, the only time she left her house was at night, and only to get food. She had to resort to stealing, which further scarred her public image. What could she do? She was starving and they wouldn’t sell to her.

She placed a hoof on the mirror, hating what she saw. Why did she have to sing? Why was that her ‘talent’? She cursed herself. She was no good. She was useless. She smashed the mirror on the ground, sending glass scattering in every direction.

A tear rolled down her cheek. She was so tormented inside. She couldn’t go on like this. But she couldn’t leave. She didn’t want to die, but she didn’t want to live. The inner battle raged on, tearing apart her soul.

An arrest warrant for her soon went out, and not long after that, she was pulled to Town Hall. They sentenced her to a life in prison. Here she was, in a basement, locked up with not much but some rope, a chair, and now a broken mirror.

She looked at the chair. It reminded her of her grandma’s chair, old fashioned. She missed her grandma. She missed her whole family. They had all passed away, leaving her alone in this cruel world.

She grabbed the chair and dragged it to the center of the room. She made her choice. She couldn’t be alone any longer. She needed to be loved. She needed to be free. Her mind was suddenly calm. She began to sing, a tune she had memorized since she was only a little filly. One her ma had sung to her all the time.

“I’ll always be there…”

She grabbed the rope.

“Don’t lose hope…”

She tied the rope to the ceiling where a hook just happened to be sitting.

“Let the wind guide you…”

She formed a noose on the other end of the rope.

“Fly back to home…”

She stood on the chair.

“You’ll find new heights…”

She slipped the noose over her head, a tear falling to the ground.

“You’ll never be alone…”

She kicked the chair out from underneath her. Her body kicked and struggled at the sudden force around her neck, but soon gave up. There was no use. As the blackness closed in, her last thoughts were of forgiveness. She knew those who attacked her were just scared. They didn’t know what they were doing. Most of all, she hoped they were never know the loneliness they had forced upon her.

---------------

Fluttershy cried on her bed. She had abandoned her friend, and now she was dead. How would she live with herself? She should have suffered to keep her alive. Any life was worth that, right? But she didn’t. In fear for her own life, she left Silver Melodies in her greatest time of need.

Fluttershy tried to stop the tears, but they didn’t want to. She knew she was a horrible pony. Silver had helped her out on many occasions. Once, she even traveled into the Everfree forest to get Fluttershy some herbs that she needed, not once hesitating. She had helped her when she was sick, and gave things freely without even asking for anything in return.

Now, when Silver needed her help, she couldn’t hold out long enough to save her life. The same thought ran through her head over and over. She was a terrible pony.

She thought of committing suicide, the guilt was so strong. But she couldn’t! Her friends, what would they say? Didn’t they need her? For the Elements of Harmony? Should she live with this guilt, for her friends? She should at least try to not abandon them as she did to Silver Melodies. But if they found out what she did, would they leave her too? She didn’t know what to do. She had to do the right thing.

She didn’t want to be alone.

But she had never felt so alone.

Author's Note:

Yeah, not my best story. Still, I did throw this together in under an hour. Judge fairly.

Comments ( 10 )

For being thrown together in under an hour, this is really good, actually. Also, consider using horizontal rules [ hr ] , just without the spaces in between the brackets and hr, rather than the underscores/dashes.

They look like this:


As always, another perfect story.

Some of the errors I found:

She new those who attacked her were just scared.

Fluttershy cried on her bed. She had abandoned her friend, and now she was dead. How would she live herself?

For the elements of harmony?

(EoH is a proper noun.)

Some pony had started circling a rumor that her ‘manipulative’ singing was coming from the fact that she was witch.

(Two here; somepony is one word and there should be an 'a' before witch.)

Next thing she new

That's all I could find. :D

Most days, I'm hard-pressed to come up with a sentence or two in an hour.

This is the second story in a week I've seen with a suicidal pony with a rope. I'm guessing the holidays are just as bad for them as they are for us.

Upvoted mainly for emotional reasons.

Fixed the problems you saw. Thanks for the constructive criticism. :pinkiesmile:

3702212

But using other stuff instead of that as page breaks makes it easier to see. I prefer people using stuff like dashes or underscores, even stars.

I liked this story. Reading the arrest warrent part made me think: first of all, it is stupid that people would do that over rumors. And second, I would have thought she would run away instead of living though this.

Three words: Salem Witch Trials. A sad period in time, for sure. :fluttercry:

And she doesn't have anywhere to go. I guess I should have put that in the story. She doesn't have anywhere else to run to, so she'd be living on the streets. She also doesn't know if word got to other cities that she was wanted. She'd rather die a fast death by execution, or hanging, than a slow death by freezing or starving. Sort of a sentimental thing. And there was always the hope she could have made it through this.

After all, the world is a cruel place.

This story was genuinely amazing. I can really feel the emotions of Silver Melodies pouring out from just these words. It has a great lesson, and a heartfelt way of explaining the pains of rumors and bullying. Again, amazing story. Perfect. :pinkiesmile:

Off topic, but I recently wrote an analytical reveiw on a story called Sail of the Vampire. Check both of them out as the story is great and I would like to know if I'm any good at analyzing. :pinkiesmile:

Login or register to comment