• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 23,939 Views, 3,699 Comments

Letters From a Little Princess Monster - Georg



Monster finds problems fitting in and getting used to her new world in Ponyville. To help adjust, she reaches out to Princess Luna who has many of the same problems now that she is recovering from being Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
43
 3,699
 23,939

PreviousChapters Next
68. Goodbye Summer, Hello New Friends - Part Five

Letters From a Little Princess Monster
Goodbye Summer, Hello New Friends - Part Five


The setting sun glared through the patchy clouds over the Pericorn valley, casting long, dark shadows around the aerie balcony and making Stargazer’s indigo coat seem to merge into the darkness. Outside, the tips of the scattered clouds were tinged in reds and pinks, making it look like a collection of torches drifting across her vision, but in the small room she shared with her ‘husband,’ there was no illumination at all, matching her mood.

“Dear?” There was a rustling outside of her vision, followed by the sound of the door closing and an additional thump. “Stargazer. I’m back.”

“Good,” she murmured, still staring out at the valley far below. All it would take is one motion, one simple leap, and all of her problems would go away. The pregnancy, the griffons, the other pony she had convinced to help. Green Grass had such a soft heart, and she had taken advantage of his good nature to have him pretend to be the stallion responsible for the foal she carried inside, the foal which was certain to be a hippogriff, and therefore proof that the griffon Duke Plummets had raped her.

Once she gave birth, the lie that she was living would come to pieces, and the brutal griffon would ensure they all three would die in the worst possible fashion.

Green Grass held back, not coming up to her side like he had several times before in order to fool the griffon watchers which were certainly keeping an eye on their balcony. Instead, he gave a pained wheeze and settled down on the cold stone floor behind her. She turned with a sharp word of rebuke for his negligence, only to give out a sharp gasp of fright at the sight of dark blood on his dingy green coat.

“You’re… injured,” Stargazer managed to say. “I’ll go get—”

“No.” Green Grass held up a hoof and coughed a few times, sounding worse than normal. “Plummets wasn’t looking straight at me and I managed to roll with his claw, so it looks worse than it is. They’re just shallow— Ow!” The stallion sucked in a breath at the touch of the damp washcloth against the slashes across his back. “I’m just glad I’m away from the brute for now.”

Stargazer stopped mopping the washcloth against his injuries and looked up in panic at the closed door.

“Don’t worry, hun. I kicked a wedge under the frame. They’re not getting the door open without breaking it down.”

The sharp tapping of claws against the door made Stargazer drop the washcloth and stare in panic, but there was no thundering blow that followed. Only another polite tap and a quiet voice asking, “Greenie? You okay in there?”

“Gilda,” muttered Green Grass, getting up to his hooves slowly and trudging over to the door. He kicked the wedge out of the way and opened the door a crack to peek out. “What can I do for you, Your Highness?”

The griffon looked back and forth up the hallway before pushing forward into the room, closing the door behind her. Stargazer stared at the griffon with wide eyes, but Green Grass moved in front of her, keeping his eyes squarely focused on their uninvited guest.

“Knock it off with the ‘Your Highness’ crap, Greenie. I just wanted to—” Gilda gave a low whistle at the sight of the stallion’s clawed back and held up a matching claw to stop him from talking. “Plummets really nailed you, didn’t he?”

“It is not a servant’s place to complain about their treatment,” said Green Grass quietly, although he winced when Gilda scooped up the washcloth and dabbed at his injuries. “I should have dodged faster.”

“Yeah, any slower and you’d be gutted. Good thing you’re so skinny.” Her gentle ministrations slowed and she lowered her voice with a glance at the closed door. “I think I can get you out of here tonight, down to the pony village so you can get stitched up.”

Green Grass turned his head and locked eyes with Gilda’s yellow gaze. “And Stargazer?”

Gilda dunked the washcloth in the reddish water of the bowl again and returned to washing his cuts. “You know I can’t do that. Granddad gave the order. Stargazer stays up here in the aerie.”

“Then so do I.” Green Grass gave out a sharp whinny of pain when Gilda slapped the wet washcloth down on his back.

“You are the most mule-headed pony I’ve ever known,” snapped Gilda. “Well, second most stubborn.” When no further words were forthcoming, she returned to washing his cuts with a grumbled, “Dweebs. I’ll have Aunt Billows come by and put some stitches in, since you’re too stupid to leave. Plummets will just have to find another servant to bother for a week. And not your wife,” she continued quickly when Green Grass opened his mouth to protest. “After all, she was unconscious when I came in here this evening, right?”

Ignoring the wide-eyed mare, Gilda rinsed out the washcloth again and resumed scrubbing at the drying blood. “That little fainting issue from her pregnancy can’t be safe. She’s not going back to work until I say so. As Third Heir—” she lifted one claw up to show off the golden ring “—my word means something, I should hope.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” said Green Grass from between clenched teeth. “But you still can’t get Stargazer to her home village to give birth.”

Gilda gave a glance over her shoulder at the closed door. “No,” she muttered. “Damnit, Greenie! Can’t you trust me even a little? I can protect you both.”

“Like you protected your sister?” Green Grass flinched when Gilda’s claws punched through the wet washcloth and into his skin, but he kept his voice low and continued, “Plummets killed her. You know it, your father knows it, and every one of the servants know it. The only one who doesn’t know is your niece. He killed her mother, and you did nothing.”

“Leave Sunny out of this,” growled Gilda. She carefully removed her claws and pressed the washcloth against the new holes in his hide, welling red with blood.

“Blood calls out for blood,” whispered Green Grass. “The ancient code of the griffons. No insult goes unreturned, no breach of honor left unrevenged. Blood rules them all.”

“Shut. Up.” Gilda pressed the washcloth harder against his hide. “You are talking about my grandfather’s son. Plummets is blood of my blood.”

“That didn’t stop him from killing your sister. He’s going to kill Sunny too, just like you,” said Green Grass in a low whisper. “He may be Second Heir, but Princess Sun Shines is right below you on the ascension ladder. It’s not just servants vanishing anymore. Your grandfather won’t protect you either. I’ve seen the way they both look at you when your back is turned. Blood will flow to feed the hunger of griffons in these halls again, and not just these scratche—”

Green Grass cut off with another wince as Gilda snapped her sharp beak near his neck. “The old ways are dead. You would be wise to remember the lessons you have learned under our shelter.” She lifted one reddened talon and licked it, her long tongue caressing the bloody talon before snapping her beak closed again. “That way lies madness and chaos.”

She stood, turning to the door with one stride and managing to vanish back into the hallway again before Green Grass called out in the harsh tones of Griffoni, “<Farewell, Heir to the Wingmaster. May your wings never falter.>”

The door remained open for a long while until Gilda responded in a low voice, filled with menace, “<May your flight be swift and true.>” One taloned claw reached to close the door, but just before it closed all the way, Gilda whispered through the gap, “You have a week. I’ll see what I can do.”

Then the door closed, and the two ponies were all alone.

- - Ω - -

An apartment in Vanhoover was farther than ‘Grid’ had wanted to travel on the railroad, but the encounter with the Royal Courier back in Manehattan had spooked her, and she certainly was not going to be able to out-walk any pony with as broad as her barrel had gotten from the unborn foal. She still was not sure what or who she was running away from, or even if she was trying in some futile fashion to run away from herself, but with as many times as she had changed trains and cabs and names during the last week’s trip across Equestria, the only pony in the world who knew where she was—

“Pardon me, Miss? Is your name Filigree? Oh!”

‘Grid’ dropped the key to her apartment door and whirled around as fast as a forty-three week pregnant mare could turn. She stared at the awkward young pegasus in the Royal Courier hat, who likewise was staring back at her with his jaw hanging loose.

“What!” she snapped.

“Nothing!” the pegasus yelped. “I mean I’m pregnant. I mean you’re pregnant! They didn’t tell me you were pregnant! Should I go get a doctor or boil some water or something?”

“I’ve still got three weeks to go,” said ‘Grid’ with a low growl. “What do you want?”

“I’ve got Flash Sentry. I mean I’m Flash Sentry, Royal Courier,” said the pegasus, taking an additional step backwards and reaching tentatively into his saddlebag as if he was afraid ‘Grid’ was going to pop like a soap bubble if he took his eyes off her. “I’ve got some letters for you. If you’re Miss Filigree, that is.” His eyes darted over her figure, and whatever he saw there allowed the nervous courier to relax a little bit. “You match the description of Diamond Tiara’s mother,” he added, somewhat muffled by the letters in his mouth. “But they didn’t say you were so pregnant,” he added, quite unnecessarily.

Despite her best efforts, Filigree’s ears flattened against the sides of her head, but she managed to resist a totally irrational urge to bite the annoying young stallion. Hard.

One of the letters Flash Sentry was carrying looked familiar, on the same thick white bond envelopes that libraries used to send out important announcements, but the second was in a pale pink envelope with balloons and cupcakes around the edges.

“I told your bat-winged friend earlier, I don’t want them. Now if you will excuse me.”

Filigree turned her back on the courier and worked on picking up the door key she had dropped, displaying her oversized and overweight rump to the young pegasus while he tried to talk. It took only the twist of her key to open the apartment door and she slammed it behind her regardless of if the little twerp had tried to poke his nose in. She stomped around the kitchen, getting a bowl of apple-fortified oats and some pear preserves on toast for a late dinner, before unfolding the newspaper and turning to the Help Wanted section.

Vanhoover was a busy place with lots of companies where a young mare with no background could find a place on the bottom floor to work her way up again. Still, the probability of getting a job while still a few weeks away from giving birth and sending the foal to an orphanage…

She viciously turned the page to the other section of the classifieds instead, taking note of the three places that offered foal placement and discounting the one offering genuine zebra foals from the war-torn country. There would be plenty of time to find a job after… whatever the name of the foal she was carrying was born.

Diamond Tiara. The name bounced around inside Filigree’s head like a pinball machine on bonus multiball. Somewhere, someplace, the product of their nights of fantastic passion with Richie was wanting to reconnect with her mother, which brought a warmth to her heart that she had long denied. But the chill wind of doubt snuffed out those good feelings when Filigree thought of the natural consequences of meeting her long-lost daughter. Diamond — and the name felt so familiar, so natural — would want to know who her father was, to meet him. To find out how she had stolen Richie’s daughter away from him. How she had betrayed the one she loved. How Filigree had failed them both.

* * *

After a long, fitful night of sleep, Filigree was not feeling the least bit better about herself. Still, she had things to do, orphanages to check out, and tasks that would not wait, which involved getting out of bed and facing the day. After breakfast, she picked up her purse and collected her meager collection of things before opening the apartment door and nearly running into the young stallion from last night, who was standing at attention right in front of her.

“Oh!” he blurted out, turning around and blinking away the sleep. “Miss Filigree. I’m glad you’re up. I’ve got those letters, if you want to read them now, and I’d be more than happy to return your responses.”

“Did you stay out here all night?” asked Filigree, who was still a little startled, particularly when the foal in her belly rolled over and gave her a kick.

“I’m a Royal Courier, Ma’am,” said Flash with a straightening up of his shoulders and a firm expression. “We deliver.” His eyes widened and his gaze wandered helplessly to Filigree’s rounded sides before blurting out, “Except foals. We don’t do foals.”

Filigree did not know if she should laugh or cry, and settled for a bemused snort. “Go home. I don’t want your letters.”

“They’re your letters, Ma’am,” he said while matching her brisk stride down the hallway to the stairs. “Princess Celestia told me to deliver them and to bring back a response.”

“You delivered them, and my response is to bug off,” snapped Filigree. She strode down the stairs and out into the street with the courier right to her side, but instead of taking off and flying away, he continued to pace her.

And after she came out of the first foal placement bureau, he was waiting for her.

As well as the second.

And the third.

“Why!” she snapped. “Why can’t you just leave me?”

“It’s my job, Ma’am. Besides,” he added with a guilty swallow, “there’s a young filly depending on me. I’ll stay out of your way, Ma’am, but I’m not leaving until you read the letters and send her a response.”

“Then I hope she’s patient, because she’s going to be waiting for a very long time,” snapped Filigree.

- - Ω - -

Monster relaxed when the familiar magic of the Everfree Forest surrounded her, the primal green of life in all of its clawed and aggressive splendor. Even Princess Luna to her side looked like the responsibilities of her position were sloughing away with every step, allowing her to just to breathe in the humid air and enjoy the occasional flight of some iridescent insect as it buzzed past, normally to be snapped up by some predator a few moments later.

Their guests were not enjoying the trip nearly as much.

Out of all of the Imetabiriwa following behind them, Tallgrass was the most nervous, despite Zecora being right beside him to provide moral support. The rest of the zebra had a projected sense of confidence around them, disproven by the nervous looks they took into the forest shadows whenever something made an unexpected noise. It was the perfect time to use ‘small talk’ like Fluttershy had taught her when she had dropped by the library every day to care for the star-spiders, but Monster could not think of anything small to talk about.

“Why are we going into the forest?” she asked instead, drawing a logical line between two points. “Is there a…” Monster fumbled for words, slowing down her speech until her disjointed mind could catch up. “Crack,” she eventually managed to say. “A space between places. Between here and there someplace near.”

“Yes indeed, Twilight Sparkle.” Luna ducked under a vine and turned off the path. “My sister and I found it when we were building the original castle. Watch this log, please.” The alicorn’s pace slowed in order for the following zebra to keep up, as well for Tallgrass to jump away when the log turned to peer at him with hungry eyes.

“If it gives you any trouble, smack it with a stick,” advised Luna before squeezing between two narrow trees with only her hornlight illuminating the darkness under the thick forest canopy.

Monster lit up her own horn to contribute to the lighting and kept an eye on the trailing members of the group to make sure a pricklebush or a groundtangler did not drag them away. The magic around them shifted several times while Luna continued on her erratic walk, occasionally backing up with a muttered, “No, the pathway has shifted. Perhaps this way.”

It did not feel as if there were any time magic involved in their wandering path, which made Monster more comfortable at the unlikelihood of emerging from the forest to find Zecora before she had journeyed to Equestria, or worse, that centuries had passed and nothing remained of her friends but memories. She could feel the magic of the sun above on its path to the horizon while they picked their way forward, until suddenly it was the moon, and the pathway became wider.

In moments, they emerged from a thick forested valley onto a wide, grassy plain, with mountains in the distance and a familiar moon hovering above them, well on its way to bring the day on this side of the world.

“Amazing,” breathed Blind Kichaka, looking around with her nostrils flaring to sniff the night breeze. “The Great River Ki is just to the south, a short walk from the Forbidden Vale. We shall take the Imetabiriwa na Anga to speak with the spirits there, and there she shall make her new home.”

“No,” said Monster. As the wind picked up, she closed her eyes and tried to ignore the sound of the zebra whispering among themselves, but Monster was not listening to their words. She stood with her stubby mane blowing in the wind and her nose pointed to the dark sky, striving with all of her senses to feel this strange new place. It was familiar in an odd way, as if the echoes of her home traveled to this side of the world just as easily as they had walked here through the forest.

“No,” she repeated after a long, long time listening to the whispers all around her and the pressure of the stars above. “You want me to… fix it. Responsibility. Not mine, yet. I’m going home where I belong. Needed. You fight. Spirits fight. You make peace with each other, they will listen. Make them listen. Bring order from chaos. Bring harmony.” Monster took a deep, deep breath of the dry air, then exhaled when the stern voice of Mshairi cut through the silence.

“Your destiny calls
The spirits await your touch
Yield to your fate here.”

“Mshairi is right, young one.” The elderly form of Old Kavu stepped forward, gesturing with her stick but not poking anyzebra with it for a change. “We have argued far too long between tribes. The spirits will not listen to our words anymore, young one. Only your voice can soothe their anger.”

“No,” said Monster again before hesitating and opening her eyes to look up at the stars spread out in abundance over the troubled land, following the familiar and the unfamiliar motes of light. One in particular caught her attention, a small but somehow troublesome flicker of starlight that changed colors every time she took her eyes off it. For some reason, it tickled her senses as very important, and reminded her of the time Twist had given her the glass of brown milk. The star was also something that was not where it belonged, and held a link to her destiny that Monster could not put into words.

She shook her head and returned to looking out across the Zebrican plains, from the clouds around the distant mountains shimmering in the moonlight to the faint skyglow from cities over the horizon in several directions. Monster breathed in a long breath, then turned to the six zebra mares around them and the still form of Luna, who had not moved a muscle.

“I will return to Equestria before the sun rises here,” said Monster in slow, measured words. “You will speak to the spirits until I return.”

“They will listen only to you,” said Old Kavu. “They have waited for far too long already. Your destiny lies with us now.”

“Sometimes, destiny must be forced,” said Luna, who remained with her eyes closed. "Twilight Sparkle, please take your instructors a short distance away and protect them while I have a word with the neighbors."

Monster nodded and trotted away for a few paces, waiting in a decidedly impatient manner while the other zebra gathered around her and jostled for position. That is, all the zebra except for Zecora, who took her place beside her adopted daughter with her head up and a certain glint in her eyes as if she knew what was about to happen, and Tallgrass, who took his place on the other side with more than a little trepidation.

Once they were all gathered, Monster concentrated on Shining Armor's shield spell and a bubble of pink magic appeared around them, shimmering darker while she focused her magic until the outside world appeared only as a blurred image, with Princess Luna as a darker smear against the horizon.

The zebra all looked among each other as if they were daring each other to speak until one stepped forward in their small enclosure.

"This is most strange, child.
What scheme does the dark one plan?
Listen, we hear not."

"Princess Luna is going to speak to your spirits," said Monster, trying to keep her hooves braced in the unfamiliar soil of Zebrica as well as her mind braced for what was to follow. "They'll listen. They have to. I'm not ready to come here yet."

"Ridiculous," scoffed Old Kavu. "We have everything you need here. What could Equestria possibly have that we don't?"

"Time." Monster shifted her stance and dug her hooves in. "Friends. Family. Knowledge. Experience. When the time is right, I will come." She glanced up at the darkness beyond the impenetrable sphere of magic that surrounded them. “I don’t have enough power to make your spirits listen. Yet. Luna does.”

“Bah!” snapped Tafadhali. “Power is not skill. We have spoken to the spirits of this land since the creation. What could she possibly tell them after being here for only a few minutes?”

In response, the ground beneath their hooves trembled, and a darkness built and swelled beyond the pink bubble of force. It grew to encompass the entirety of the blurred images of the outside world even while Monster focused more and more power into her spell until there was nothing but light and the sharp scent of ozone inside the hemisphere of power. Finally, a blast of pure volume smashed every one of the zebra inside the bubble to their knees when a voice as large as the universe thundered outside.

Patience!

While the zebra picked themselves uncertainly to their hooves, Monster straightened her back and made the pink bubble of force go away. All around them in the moonlight, the clouds had vanished, the mountains vibrated in the distance, and the steaming grass had been flattened into shiny smears pointing away from the dark alicorn, who had a rather enigmatic smile while looking at the shocked zebra.

“They’ll listen,” said Monster. “Will you?”

- - - -

Trixie dashed back into the library once the initial preparations for the spa night had been finalized. It had been a lot easier than she had expected, due to… well, friends. Fluttershy was gathering the Cutie Mark Crusaders and various small accomplices, Pinkie Pie had bounced over to the pizza place to pick up the pizza pies, Rarity had reserved (and pre-paid) the spa room for the evening, and Applejack had been pried away from her quest to fix all the spa plumbing to just ‘chillax’ as Rainbow Dash had declared, leaving Trixie free for just a few minutes.

She just had one critical task that really needed to be done before the party started.

Running past the sleeping dragon still stuck in the main doorway and galloping up the stairs two at a time, Trixie stumbled at the top of the staircase with a brief glower at what certainly felt like an additional step or ten. Then she darted into her bedroom and the luxurious bed sitting unoccupied like a lover awaiting the embrace of a fair maiden.

“Later,” she muttered, moving over to the ornate desk and stacking Green Grass’ letters to one side in a neat pile. There was more dense griffon history in his thick missives than she wanted to read, ever, but it looked the griffons had enjoyed them from the little nicks and clawed ticks of multiple griffon readers. When Green Grass got back to the library, the first thing Trixie was going to do with… Well, the second thing Trixie was going to do with Greenie was to get some sort of executive summary of his history project. He might have liked the feathered fiends enough to spend the summer with them on his project, but Trixie had always been a little suspicious of the way they eyed her flanks, as if she were on the menu.

She hesitated, then flipped through the stack of letters, looking for any kind of personal note that might tell when he was going to be back. After all, next week was the Summer Wrap-Up festival with fireworks and all kinds of shadowed places where they could make up for that missing honeymoon night, and she had a brand-new bed to break in. Nothing in the stack of history papers really jumped out at her, so Trixie turned to her next task. She dumped the tattered library books on the desk next, wincing at the thought of how many bits worth of fire and nature damage had been inflicted on Twilight’s malady research, and stuffed what was left of her battered saddlebags into the trash.

“Here we go, Gimpy.” Moving one hoof to her mane, Trixie made little kissy noises until the seven-legged star spider cautiously emerged, putting one spindly leg after another onto her trembling hoof. “See, I’m not afraid of you any more, so you don’t have to worry about me screaming and trying to squash you. Much.”

Moving carefully over to the bed, Trixie held her hoof next to a shelf that she had intended on putting some sort of photograph on later, and nudged the frightened spider. “There you go, you little hitchhiker. It was fun having you along for the last few weeks, but let’s get you back in your nice, safe library, with no dragons. Well, other than the great big one downstairs and the little softie who sleeps in that basket. Come on. Step down. That’s a good girl. Or boy. Not that I’m going to look.”

Once the spider had scurried behind some shadows, Trixie straightened up to dart out of the room on her way to the party, but after two quick steps, she backtracked over to the bed and turned on the night light.

“Don’t get too comfortable,” warned Trixie before leaving for the party. “It’s just for one night or two. Tomorrow, I’ll have Fluttershy take you to her house so you don’t scare Green Grass when he gets back from his trip, whenever that is.”

PreviousChapters Next