• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 23,924 Views, 3,671 Comments

Letters From a Little Princess Monster - Georg



Monster finds problems fitting in and getting used to her new world in Ponyville. To help adjust, she reaches out to Princess Luna who has many of the same problems now that she is recovering from being Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
43
 3,671
 23,924

PreviousChapters Next
2. The First Day and Night - Part Two

Letters From a Little Princess Monster
The First Day and Night - Part Two


...to celibate our first night in ponyville mom says we can have a sleepover. i did not think i wood like it much because nopony ever stayed at night in my house before but we all stayed in the work room except princess celesta who went back to the city and big mac who said he had to take a cold shower or twelve. it was a lot more fun than i thought but mom threw her back out playing twistar and trixie kept trying to leave to take a shower too. i wish you could stay here and help me not be scared but i know princess celestia really needs you and i have all my friends not to be scared with. i hope you and miss smarty pants make a bunch of friends too and visit me a lot so we can be friends too.

the end
i just remembered. i dont know if i should use my old name any more. that part of me seems gone and faded like it was in the sun. i remember some things so well and other things are like a dream, so i was thinking about making a new name. like twinkle. or star. trixie says i should be menace and applebloom says monster is just fine, and mom is really liking flower. i could use them all like trixie i suppose.
good night. good dreams

monster star twinkle flower menace.

The little alicorn filly blew gently over the paper until all of the ink had dried, and after one quick review for damp spots, she wrapped it around a stick and held it over the baby dragon’s mouth. Tickling the dragon on the side the way Trixie had taught her made the little dragon burp out a belch of green fire just big enough to consume the scroll, and Monster watched in fascination as the sparkles of the burning scroll wafted out of a nearby window and on their way to the light princess. This new world was just filled with exciting things, and although there was a lot to be scared of, there were so many more things she was looking forward to experiencing.

Listening to the faint whistling snores of her friends, Monster curled up against the little purple dragon and closed her eyes, asleep even before the letter reached its target.

---~^~^~^~^---

Morning dawned brightly over Sweet Apple Acres, the first blinding beam of light breaking through the window outside of Big Mac’s bedroom to illuminate the room and bringing him to that drowsy state of wakefulness that always preceded the thought of the long line of chores awaiting his attention. He rolled out of bed to trudge to the bathroom, a routine that had occupied nearly his entire life at the farm ever since he had gotten old enough to put on a yoke and pull a plow. It was a welcome routine, so well worn and polished that he could have followed in pitch darkness through the familiar dents he had worn in the floorboards of the house. But today, something was different.

For one thing, it was not morning yet.

And for a second thing, the light was not coming from the sun.

Thick silver rays of moonlight cascaded down from the radiant sphere in the sky, formed into a beam so coruscatingly bright that it seemed solid enough to stand on. It certainly was solid enough for the dark figure that Big Mac saw up in the sky, sliding down the ray of moonlight as if it were the silver road beneath a goddess, lowering herself from the heavens where she belonged to touch one hoof upon base earth. Or in this case, the floor of Big Mac’s bedroom as four silver-clad hooves touched upon the floorboards with faint clicks, and Princess Luna looked down at the prostrate stallion bowing before her.

“Arise, Son of Equestria.” Her voice was as delicate as a summer breeze, and it drew Big Mac to a standing position as smoothly as if he had been levitated there, although his knees shook and bumped against each other.

“We have come to apologize for the actions of our sister, Macintosh of the Apple clan. She did force herself upon thee in a manner not appropriate in any locale, let alone a public gathering of thy family.”

“T-that’s f-fine, Your Highness,” blurted out Big Mac. “It’s fine. R-really.”

Luna’s brows drew together as she regarded the nervous stallion at closer range. “Do you fear me, Macintosh Apple?”

“Jest a tad, Your Highness.”

“Oh.” The gentle roil of stars and nebulae in Luna’s mane slowed to a halt as she turned for the open window. “We see. We apologize for our actions in addition to those of my sister, Macintosh Apple. We meant to assuage thy fear of my sister, and we did naught but add to thy discomfort.” Princess Luna made a small gesture and a ragged lump of cloth appeared, which she held against her chest as if it were made of priceless diamonds.

“Smarty Pants,” said Big Mac, startled into speech by the sight of the ragged doll. Two mismatched buttons had been sewn on for eyes and a few precise stitches around the outside edge showed the frayed edge of what appeared to be a small tablecloth, but it was recognizably the same doll he had returned to Monster a few short weeks ago.

“Y-you know of our gift?” Luna looked perplexed for a moment before taking a deep sniff of the ragged cloth, then moving up to Big Mac and placing her nose into his mane. A second sniff seemed to bring the glitter of a thousand sparks dancing down his neck and across his flank before Luna backed up a step with a smile. “Thou art the stallion. The one who earned the trust of Twilight Sparkle, who saved me from my darkness. Thank you.”

Big Mac twisted in embarrassment, grinding the toe of one hoof into the floorboards.

“Tweren’t nutting, really. She just needed a little trust and some friendship to get over her fears.”

Her enigmatic smile slowly faded as Luna turned back to the window. “I shall not trouble thyself with my fearsome presence any more this evening. Good Night, Macintosh.”

His big head came up abruptly, eyes wide in realization. “You’re scared of me too, just like her.”

Luna hovered at the windowsill, her wings extended much as a goddess would do to ascend back into the heavens, only a goddess probably would not have a rag doll hovering beside her in a tight magical grip. “No! We are… a princess. We do not fear.”

Big Mac did not reply at first. He just stared at Miss Smarty Pants for the longest time before walking up to Luna’s side and looking out his window at the glittering farm, laid out in silver moonlit tracery in the beautiful night.

“Everypony is afraid of somethin’ they can’t do nuttin’ about. Ah was just a little one when Pa took me camping my first time. We was all the way out in the west pasture watching the stars when a big ol’ hydra sounded off a couple miles out in the Everfree Forest. Ah plum near tore that tent in half tryin’ to get out, but my Pa, he sat me down and told me somethin’ I’ve been tryin’ to live up to ever since. He said sometimes when you’re afraid, you can think your way out of it, and sometimes you just gotta hit it head-on with the biggest shovel you can find. The hard part is finding out just which kind are thinkin’ problems and which ones are hittin’ problems.”

Luna leaned towards Big Mac, almost at the end of his nose before whispering, “I’ve tried to think this one out, and it didn’t work. Now what?”

Big Mac shrugged and leaned closer. “Improvise.”

Her lips were as cold as ice. But they warmed throughout the night.

It may not have lasted forever.

But it felt that way.

PreviousChapters Next