• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 23,887 Views, 3,637 Comments

Letters From a Little Princess Monster - Georg



Monster finds problems fitting in and getting used to her new world in Ponyville. To help adjust, she reaches out to Princess Luna who has many of the same problems now that she is recovering from being Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
43
 3,637
 23,887

PreviousChapters Next
35. When Life Gives You Lemons - Part Three

Letters From a Little Princess Monster
When Life Gives You Lemons - Part Three


It was a chilly shock to be back in her own body as Monster shook the dirt off her hooves and took a deep breath of Ponyville air. Manehattan had been interesting to say the least and informative too, but she tried not to think about her experience until she was sitting inside the familiar library oak tree in front of Zecora and Trixie, repeating the whole chain of events as if it were a confession, which was not helped by Spike carefully taking notes as she went along.

When done, Monster stood with head downcast in the middle of the library and waited for her two teachers. The expected lump of cold and darkness in her chest seemed smaller than expected, and the spot where Cadence had kissed her still felt warm, although she could not detect even the slightest glimmer of magic from it. Even Trixie seemed captivated by the Alicorn of Love’s kisses, and kept unconsciously rubbing her cheek where Monster had passed along Cadence’s kiss as requested.

“My husband’s wisdom I’m afraid I underestimated,” said Zecora with just the tiniest upturning at the corner of her lips and a frequent blinking that Monster recognized as suppressed tears, although of joy, not sadness. “I’ll admit, this situation I had not anticipated.”

Trixie shook her head. “I don’t think anything could anticipate Menace, even Discord. It’s like we’re building a fence to corral pegasi.”

Monster fluttered her filly wings and drooped. “Can’t fly. Just fall.”

“No, that’s just an expression,” said Trixie with one hoof firmly against her face. “Look, you’ve got us outnumbered all by yourself. Work with Zecora to make up a list of zebra magic that you can use safely... and I suppose you could use a responsible adult earth pony and pegasus for teaching their magic. Somepony like Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash — make that Applejack and Fluttershy. Whenever you try new magic, you need to have a teacher of that variety and a different teacher watching. The minute either of them says stop, you stop. How’s that?”

“Changeling magic?” said Monster very quietly.

“When your weird father gets back,” said Trixie, just as firm as Monster had been quiet. “The bugs are head over hock nuts about you, Squirt. He’s the only one I can trust to say ‘No’ when you’re about to do something… like me.” Trixie spared Zecora a sideways look. “That is provided that in loco parentis agrees.”

Zecora nodded. “If she abides as you say, then to this rule, I say okay. In the event of her intentional disobedience, I shall give her the punishment of recent experience.” One zebra kiss was gently placed in the almost identical spot that Cadence had blessed, and Monster blushed.

“And that only leaves…” Trixie gestured with one hoof and caught a bit that seemed to appear out of thin air. “Money. Your greed made you do something really dangerous, Menace. If I was a really good teacher, I’d just take that money away until you were old enough to handle it, but Cadence brings up a good point. This is a problem that all of you will need to handle, as friends.” She leaned forward and planted a kiss right on the same spot. “Don’t let arguing about money ruin your friendship, Menace.”

Dear Princess Luna

I has done a lot of things since the last letter you got. I made a spell to send letters to Spike, but they don’t go there, which is weird, but I willl worry about it some other time. (note: ask trixie about spell) There is something much more important to tell you.

I have been having money problems much like Trixie but the other way around. My friends and I had an emergency stockholder meeting and discussed our money, which I thought was going to go badly until an unexpected guest showed up.

“Well, if it isn’t the Cutie Mark Catastrophes and their newest little failure.” Diamond Tiara flounced into the bank conference room and regarded the piles of paper that the weird little fake alicorn was trying to hide behind. ‘Twilight’ was a pathetic little waste of time who only cringed back and huddled when insulted, but it brought her little friends up out of their chairs like they had all sat on tacks. Diamond loved the sport of one-upping the little blank flanks into predictable reactions far better than the sport of tennis, in which the ball tended to go wherever it wanted instead of where she was swinging. Scootaloser was the best, and she could be smacked around like a feathered shuttlecock, which of course assumed that Diamond could even hit a shuttlecock. Which she could, just not when anypony was watching.

“I saw your ratty old scooter outside and I knew you little babies would be pretending you were a real business with your pathetic little lemon stand.” Diamond wrinkled up her nose and sniffed as if the scent of lemons had followed them into the bank. “My daddy brought me to the bank to pick up my allowance for this month. It’s going to be over a hundred bits, and I’m going to invest it in my newest corporate venture.”

She skidded a dozen business cards across the table, each adorned with a cute little multicolored fish and the motto ‘Custom Guppy Breeder - D. Tiara, Esq.’ in glittering gold print, which the Cutie Mark Crusaders regarded with amusement.

* * *

Monster peeked out from behind her folders once Diamond Tiara had left the room, regarding the card with a frown. “Fish?”

Featherweight scoffed, “She’s probably going to have her butler deal with them.”

Sweetie Belle added to Monster, “He’s nice. When DT gets rid of a pet, we get first crack at ‘em. Last time, we got a hermit crab.”

Scootaloo shifted uncomfortably. “I thought it could swim, honest.”

There was a very long silence, possibly in memory of the departed crab, before Monster hesitantly asked, “Does money make her like that?”

They all considered the papers and the money they represented, and in particular the heated argument they were having before Diamond Tiara showed up.

“I don’t want to wind up like Diamond Tiara,” said Apple Bloom, pushing her papers to the middle of the table. “If money makes ponies act the way we’ve been acting, then I don’t want none of it.”

“Me neither,” said Twist, pushing her papers to the center of the table too. “I’d rather have you girlth than anything in the world.”

“Hey!”

“And you too, Featherweight,” added Twist.

“Well, I have gotten used to this camera,” said Featherweight, pushing his papers into a pile with the others. “There’s a lot of fun memories in it that just wouldn’t be in a new one.”

Scootaloo’s paperwork followed. “Me too. My aunt says she’ll overhaul my old scooter, realign the wheels, add some reinforcements. It’ll probably hold together better than anything new I got anyway, with all the radical stunts I do with it.”

Sweetie Belle arranged her papers neatly and placed them on top of the pile. “Twilight’s right. This just got too big, too fast for us. Rarity says she started out one stitch at a time, and sewed her way up the hemline.” She wrinkled up her nose. “I don’t understand it either, but with school starting soon, we wouldn’t have time for crusading and running the stand anyway.”

There was a quiet thumping in the room and everypony looked around, eventually finding that Monster had begun wagging her tail at the mention of school. With an expression indicative of an entire bookstore chain worth of new books going unread, Monster pushed her papers in with the rest of them and sorted the whole collection into one neat stack.

“Now what? We can’t just give it away to anypony,” said Scootaloo. “They’d just have the same problems we did.”

“Need somepony who knows what to do with lots of money,” said Monster. “Or somedragon.”

Spike said there was a nice pony here a few days ago who was going meet with you after wards. I hope you tow enjoyed your meeting. He was very pleasant and called me silly names like Spirit of Heavenly Grace. Spike even showed me how to write it.

Spike has been helping me with my letters since we have been spending more time together at the 5F1C Lemonade Stand, Only Two Bits. He corrects my capitol letters and everything. He’s very smart. He even knows about its and it’s, and gave me advice about what to do with the bits now that we are going to close the company…

“Oh, no. Not after what happened the last time.” Spike pushed the stack of papers back to Twilight with a guilty glance towards the kitchen where Trixie was torturing the coffee maker again.

“What?” The little alicorn had an absolutely devastating mournful look with big eyes, flattened ears and trembling bottom lip that all of her friends had been tutoring her on for weeks. Spike did not stand a chance.

“I… um… got into the Royal Treasury. Trixie thought it would be a good idea to teach me how to swim, and she’s never liked the water, so she took me to the— “

~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~

“Here you go, Spikie. Fresh from the mint. Don’t swallow any of them.” Trixie hefted the small purple dragon in her magical field and plopped him down in Bin #3 of the Royal Treasury, scattering newly-minted bits in all directions.

“We’ll start with something easy, like the dragonpaddle. Move your little claws like this…”

~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~

“I didn’t hurt anypony, but I tipped over several of their bins and ate about a bazillion bits worth of gems. My tummy hurt for a month.” He rubbed his round little stomach with one claw. “It was a good hurt, though.”

Spike flipped through the ownership papers and the incorporation transfer forms with a wistful smile. “I know you’re going to need somepony to watch over disassembling the company when you girls go back to school, but I’m not it. Money changes dragons just as much as it does ponies, or worse. Dragons with too much money too fast become just as bad a jerks as ponies, but we’re a lot bigger jerks. What you need is…”

~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~

Rarity smiled as she refilled the teacups for both Spike and Twilight. They both were such a polite little pony and dragon, and did not come over nearly often enough, even though Twilight’s visits normally ended with something or somepony on fire or tangled into a giant knot, but still.

“I must thank you, Twilight. It’s nice to know you trust me enough to store your little friends’ lemonade stand when you all go back to school. I have to admit, I’ll miss having you around during the daytime.” Hm, I wonder if I have space in my fall line for a Back To School theme for younger ponies. Wings and horn could prove quite the challenge.

Twilight shook her head, her criminally short mane remaining rigid as a bottle brush. “Stand goes to the farm. Need somepony to hold the company. Break it up. Sell the parts. Donate the proceeds.”

“Oh? I would have thought you and your little friends would use the money you earned to buy an excessive amount of ice cream. That’s what I did when I was that age. Not that very long ago,” she quickly added.

Twilight shook her head more vigorously and pushed the stack of papers across the table. “Too much. Need a big pony.”

“Why, I had no idea you and your little friends had made that amount of money off your little stand,” said Rarity, picking up the papers and scanning down them. “I would think that Sweetie Belle could get a financial related cutie mark for—“

Dealing with leading edge fashions adorned with precious gems had given Rarity a certain tolerance for rather large numbers, both in the Receipts and the Expense column of the ledger, as well as tolerance for occasional negative numbers in Net Profit that would have staggered nearly every other pony in town. After all, profits in one month and losses in the next could be blurred together, as long as there was a little black ink left to buy the individual necessities of life⁽*⁾ at the end of the month.
(*) Spa visits with her friends, the rare and certainly not more than three times a week visit to Gaston’s restaurant, and her monthly copy of Young Maretropolitan. For the articles, of course.

There was a number at the bottom of the asset page. It was an impressive number, far less an impressive number than was in the Gross Assets section, but still impressive enough on its own. It was a number normally associated with phrases such as Gross Domestic Product or even Government Cost Overrun. But there it was. Sitting under Net Assets. Reinforced with commas. Unconsciously, her eyes ran up and down the columns of numbers, looking for a mathematical mistake like the time Scootaloo had calculated the apple harvest at Sweet Apple Acres to weigh more than all of Equestria. She had known there was income coming off the design and manufacture of the cute little 5F1C capes, but she had subcontracted that off to a friend in Manehattan in order to focus more on her current fashion line. By the number in that particular row, her friend was able to buy her own penthouse suite now, and most of the rest of an apartment building too. Perhaps she would be in need of a new wardrobe.

“I think,” she started, while trying not to think at all, “that we all need to call in a professional.”

~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~

“Rarity, my dear. You look lovely this afternoon.” Fancy Pants swept into the boutique with his usual flair, taking in the sight of a small table with six little ponies and a dragon gathered around it in stride and restricting his usual kiss on the hoof to a gentle brushing of the lips. “I had no idea you had such polite guests!”

The gentlestallion bowed and smiled as Rarity introduced her sister’s friends, each of them on their best behavior and by some miracle not having set anything on fire. Yet.

Monster fidgeted on her cushion as the tea and biscuits were distributed around the table, a peculiar tradition that did seem to calm her nerves as well as allowed Featherweight to stick a straw up his nose and blow bubbles in the tea. Mister Pants seemed nearly as struck as Rarity when he looked at the papers that Mister Silver had prepared. His monocle even fell out and rolled under the table, which caused considerable confusion as everypony dove after it, and there was a horrible crunching noise when one of them found it. She did not pay too much attention to the conversation, but rather the behavior of her friends, which was so much better now than when they had been arguing over the monthly report. The one phrase still kept echoing through her head.

I don’t want to wind up like Diamond Tiara.

School was coming up fast, which spelled the end of lemonade season and the beginning of spelling season, as well as math, science, history, and all of the other wonders of the scholastic experience. Everypony was excited, but cashing out their investment had turned that excitement into snapping words and greedy thoughts. Maybe next year they could try something less ambitious and keep the lemonade stand local, but it had seemed like such a good idea at the time, and the orders had kept coming in, and the pyramid of sales had just been so fascinating to watch that she had not really noticed the wheels coming off the scooter until it was too late, much like real life.

“You have quite an admirable list of charitable goals,” said Mister Pants, leafing through their draft of the breakup documents.

“Ah thought having low interest small business loans available would draw more traffic into town,” said Apple Bloom.

“It can be kinda a pain for low-income gardeners to afford individual clouds,” said Scootaloo.

“There’s almost nothing for the outside ponies to read about how cool and fun Ponyville is,” said Featherweight, “so a travel and tourism fund would help promote us all over Equestria.”

“Not all towns have a library,” whispered Monster.

“Thome ponieth can’t afford to vithit the denthitht without thome finanthial athithithince,” said Twist.

“I thought a fund to pay for a public defender would be very helpful to innocent ponies who are accused of crimes,” said Sweetie Belle. “Just like Jailbird.”

“Sweetie!” said Scootaloo. “Jailbird likes it in jail. Besides, if he wasn’t there, who would keep the building open? And who would play harmonica in the yearly talent show?”

“Girls, please concentrate,” said Rarity.

“Hey!”

“And Featherweight. And Spikey-Wikey too.”

“Whatever you say, Rarity.”

The mannerisms of the older unicorn stallion intrigued Monster as he bantered playfully with her friends, sampling the cookies provided and expounding (which she looked up) upon their flavor and quality even while roughing out a small college trust fund for each of her friends and getting specifics on the charities which would receive the rest of the funds as the company was dismantled. He did not feel deceptive or arrogant like Diamond Tiara, and the fear that so much money might have corrupted her friends beyond recovery began to recede.

Cadence was right. Friends were more important than stuff, but having stuff did not automatically make you stuffy, like Diamond Tiara. Rarity dealt with stuff all the time, and still remained friends with so many of the ponies around town, even Trixie, who was difficult on the best of days. Rarity and Mister Pants were so much like Scootaloo, who never failed to give to the very lint in her bit pouch and the very last inch of her hooves if anypony was in need.

It felt good to get, but it felt much better to give. It lit a fire in the dark places of her heart and cast a warm glow over all she could see, and once the arrangements had been finalized and all of the paperwork distributed out to each of her friends for adult signatures, she trotted along the path to home with a distinct spring to her step, made that much springier by the hundred bits they had each received as split net profits from their own lemonade stand. Hundreds of little ponies across Equestria would be trotting along just like she was, listening to the jingle of loose bits and trying to figure out how they were going to spend them.

Monster already knew.

~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~

The evening air was just starting to cool when Trixie poked her nose into the doorway of the hollow tree outside of Ponyville. The sensation of traveling through the interface between the Everfree magic and ‘normal’ still brought a quiver up her flank at the feel of diaphanous tendrils brushing her flank and horn, and the cloying pressure that made even the simplest spells require extra effort.

“Hello? Anypony here?”

“Come in, come in,” said Zecora, trotting by with a firefly lantern on her head. “My Flower is up in the room of knowledge, preparing for our first magic college. Up the stairs and turn to the right, and we will be there most of the night.”

The stairs were uneven and the stairwell considerably more close than the open and cheery library in Ponyville. Her flank brushed up against the living wood of the tree with a tingle of forest magic as she emerged into the next room and stopped in amazement.

Dense knots of dark wood looped around overhead, bearing strings of beads with complex knots, suspended smooth stones wrapped in cords and painted vibrant colors, and many, many cubbyholes with colorful rolls of some paper-like substance sticking out of them. Even the lumpy wooden floor had oblong stones of abstract shapes lying in some strange pattern against the walls and in small neat piles, each stone completely different than each other but somehow reflecting a harmonious whole. Above it all were a dozen firefly lanterns, each filled with glowing insects that cast a warm shadowless illumination around the area and made a pleasant buzzing noise in the background.

“Library,” said Menace, who had somehow shown up at Trixie’s side while she was entranced by the sight. “Can’t read all of them.”

“Wha—?” Trixie tried to look calm and restrained while surrounded by so many silent books. “I mean — of course you can’t read all of them. Some of them must be far more advanced than your reading level.” She reached for a nearby curl of parchment in a cubbyhole only to have Twilight stop her.

“No. Dangerous.” Twilight Sparkle struggled for words while holding her hoof out, finally taking a deep breath and letting it out in one long sigh. “Illusion spell. Show.”

“Well, I suppose—” Trixie caught herself. This was exactly what she had tried to stop by putting restrictions on the little menace, but the welcome sound of Zecora’s hooves on the stairs allowed her to skip out on enforcing that particular unwelcome rule. “Only since Zecora is here too, yes. Remember to concentrate.”

And she did. Twilight’s horn glowed a soft magenta as the image of an oblong continent appeared, covered in chaotic colors. “Long time ago, Zebrica was broken. Monsters ate zebras. Spirits roamed free. Spirits made Zebrica. Spirits not happy. Made special zebras called Imetabiriwa, or the Wise Ones. Spirits talk to Imetabiriwa, Imetabiriwa talk to zebras. Do what is right. Spirits happy. Imetabiriwa talk to spirits, spirits chase away monsters, zebra not eaten. Zebra happy.”

“So what screwed it up?” asked Trixie, adding at Twilight’s scowl, “Don’t tell me it didn’t get screwed up.” Trixie nodded at Zecora, who had settled down on a nearby cushion with all the noise of a falling leaf. “If it wasn’t screwed up, she wouldn't be here to take you back there in a couple of decades. Besides, it’s pony nature to screw up a good thing. Zebras too, probably.”

“What says you is all too true,” said Zecora with a sip out of her teacup. “Our kind’s wisdom brought great power, but the rest will be explained by my little Flower.”

Under Twilight’s concentration, the illusionary continent divided into six colors with a small sliver of grey near the center. “Six tribes were formed, but as time passed and their power grew, they fought among themselves and each other. The Imetabiriwa were forced to remain within their borders, and the nations eventually went into decline much like the Ponynesians and the Roamanes once their empires became decadent. There are some parallels…” She slowed to a stop at a single quelling glance from Zecora and mumbled, “I read some Equestrian history books in the library. Anyway, a Imetabiriwa na Anga revealed herself to the Imetabiriwa of all tribes and—”

“Wait a minute,” said Trixie. “A princess? Horns and wings?” She looked back at Zecora, who was being quite calm and placid as she sipped her tea. “A Zebracorn?”

Tea sprayed everywhere and Zecora coughed until she could breathe. “Oh, no. You are so slow. A Wise One of the Sky is not marked by stripes, wings, and horn. Such a creature in our lands has never even been born. The wisdom of the Imetabiriwa needs no such crutch, for that gift is one of which my Flower has much. The prophecy of Flower’s return is very plain, but of this I shall let my daughter explain.”

A scroll of some thick leathery substance wrapped in Twilight’s magic floated down in front of Trixie, although instead of writing, it had little squiggles and bobs of charred stripes running from top to bottom. Twilight slipped up beside her, feeling a little like a shivering ice cube to Trixie’s warm side as she pointed and began reading down the line of symbols in a foreign language, most likely Zebrican. It took far longer than Twilight expected, as Trixie kept making her go back and pronounce different sections of the text, squinting at the unfamiliar squiggles and frowning more and more with every word. Finally Trixie exploded in frustration, pointing at the document and snapping, “You have got to be kidding me. You used ‘miaka’ here, here and here, but the symbols are different in each spot!”

“Code.” Twilight blinked as if it were the simplest thing in the world. “Symbol here for rain, three suns in right corner means rotate words by… She looked up at the ceiling, her tongue poked into one cheek until two other scrolls floated down. “This sequence.” She tapped on the third row of the document. “First two are just nonsense.”

“You mean every stinking book in your library is written in some weirdo code?” Trixie looked around in open-mouthed amazement. “Zebra newspaper crossword puzzles must be epic.”

“Not every book,” grumbled Twilight. “Just ones from our tribe. The rest are secrets from other tribes. Can’t read.”

“Why in the stars would you bring a library halfway around Equestria that you can’t read?!”

“We were in a hurry at the moment,” said Zecora with a sour grimace. “My Flower called, and we were sent. The old Imetabiriwa na Anga gave her life so that I could help in this time of strife. Twelve years have passed since the stars bespoke, and not a word from them since have I heard or spoke.”

“You don’t read the newspapers then, I guess.” Trixie shook her head. “The Foreign Affairs section of the Canterlot Times said something about another civil war brewing there. The Warthogs are snorting about, the Ibex are terrified, as usual, and the Zebras have all been yelling at each other.”

“Sounds like home has not changed,” sighed Zecora, adding some tea to everypony’s cups. “With the chaos and logic of the totally deranged. This time we must use to thoroughly prepare, for the return of my Flower, her friendship to share.” The zebra looked up from her cup at the sound of her daughters sharp inhalation. “We have time to spare, my Flower, dear. For you to learn and to heal shall take many a year.”

“Not that,” whispered Monster. “Just had an awful feeling for a second. It’s gone now.”

* * *

Tallgrass hopped on three hooves while suppressing several rather pungent comments about Equestrian road maintenance, the particular rock that had stuck out of the roadbed just far enough for him to stub a hoof on, and the ‘Traditional’ habits of the zebras he was traveling with. It would only take an afternoon on the train to get back to Ponyville, but five stubborn zebra mares could set their minds and hooves like boulders when it came to trusting themselves to ‘foreign’ methods such as a mechanical conveyance, made only worse by their constant complaining about the steamship trip to Manehattan and how if the spirits had meant them to travel to Equestria, there would have been a road.

It was going to take weeks at this rate to get back home. Each time they came to a divide in the road, there had to be a debate about which way to go, even though Tallgrass had purchased a map and there were road signs. In fact, every time he suggested a direction, it seemed that each of the quarrelsome mares were determined to prove him wrong. They could wind up wandering Equestria for years if he—

She’s going to her new home, and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Then again, the weather was nice, the scenery pleasant, and Tallgrass had always wanted to explore the Equestrian countryside in fall. The Running of the Leaves in Trottingham was supposed to be a very pleasant affair with colorful foliage and some of the best cider south of Sweet Apple Acres, and then there was always the beautiful rock formations of the Painted Desert which he had never had the opportunity to really explore. He hoofed the map out of his saddlebag and casually checked it over as the long slow walk continued, looking for other tourist locations as well as a place to post a letter back home to the wife.

Dearest Zecora,
I happened to meet some of your relatives this week, and…

Author's Note:

Author note: That’s the end of the Lemonade arc. The next arc will be Lessons in Flight, where Back To School Sales precede the glorious beginning of a school year.

PreviousChapters Next