• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 23,938 Views, 3,695 Comments

Letters From a Little Princess Monster - Georg



Monster finds problems fitting in and getting used to her new world in Ponyville. To help adjust, she reaches out to Princess Luna who has many of the same problems now that she is recovering from being Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
43
 3,695
 23,938

PreviousChapters Next
74. Forked Destiny - Part Two

Letters From a Little Princess Monster
Forked Destiny - Part Two


Power was its own solution to difficult problems, but Monster had learned that most power did not make for a solution on its own, and in fact only made problems worse. The trick was to figure out the solution before putting power to it.

Cheerilee called it ‘learning by other ponies’ mistakes’ which she said was best done with books and tutors when it came to magic. Trixie scoffed at the concept of books, preferring to make her own mistakes and learn from them. Vorel’aurix-levethuix Maekrix-book-rasvim did not want to share any of her books, but grudgingly had permitted Monster to look through the collection she had brought, and even told tales of her trips around the world when she was a little wyrmling with no more than a single shelf in her hoard.

These stories included fanciful tales of powerful artifacts, buried in ancient ruins or hidden in temples, which could be used for… well, mostly destructive purposes. Vorel had snorted in derision when Trixie had interrupted their educational conversation to show off a book called ‘Daring Do and the Sapphire Stone’ to the two of them. Monster had found it fascinating to read, and the dragon — despite grumbled protests — read over her shoulder until they had finished the book.

Then she discovered it was the most magical of books: a series.

Although the stories were fictional, the lessons behind them were real, and some of the real artifacts were supposedly stored in the Canterlot castle, including one with the cryptic description of ‘A mirror deep in the collection which reflected a Daring who looked considerably different, in a formal suit and lecturing at a school.’

The mirror showed alternatives created by decisions, good and bad.

She kept the discovery secret from her friends, but it was exactly what Monster wanted. If there was a way to find the exact point in time where she had screwed up and almost destroyed Canterlot, the time-traveling spell could take her to that point to fix it, despite going against her promise to never mess with time again. It would be just once, and would fix everything, so nopony would know, not Trixie, not her friends, not even Mom.

Monster did not expect to find the mirror during their trip through the museum. An artifact that powerful, able to show just where a pony could change their destiny, should have been locked away in the museum’s Celestial Vault where the Elements of Harmony had been stored. The crystaline stone walls of the room had kept the area cool, with the closed magesteel door and dim lighting making even Featherweight whisper in awe during the school visit. Princess Celestia had opened the vault just for the school trip, to show the Elements sitting on velvet cushions, but there was no mirror tucked into a corner, or any other such artifacts. Monster had hoped that seeing the magical gemstones again would have inspired some sort of insight, but they felt dead to her senses, a frustrating lack of any response at all which drew a pall over the rest of the morning.

The mirror was not available to help Monster face her parents.

The mirror would not help her face Shining Armor.

The mirror could not change her past.

She would have to do it herself.

And then…

To the eye, it was only a plain metal mirror, barely able to reflect an image of the viewer in the dim lighting of the small museum room, but to Monster’s hooves and horn and heart, it lived. Clover’s Mirror was a beautiful thing, a pure slab of base metal that Monster could feel course with the magic inside, a twisted maze of reflective mirrors deep layered into the interior until it was impossible to tell just where the surface began.

She waited. The rest of her friends from school moved on to the next exhibit, but Monster remained hiding until they were gone and Cheerilee had hustled after them. Once her path was clear, Monster moved and did not stop moving, rushing forward toward the mirror as the magic built under and in front of and behind until she burst into a white light.

She emerged into a beautiful place, all clouds and windows hanging unsupported in the air. It seemed familiar for some reason, even though she had never seen it before, and none of the windows showed any part of the world she was familiar with. It was not a place for Monsters, but a place where Twilight Sparkle might emerge and live without harming the world. The only thing it missed was her friends, and her family, and…

Then again, this strange place of sky and cloud was only for visiting. Monster’s place was back in Equestria, once she had wrested… wrasted… wested? That is once she had dug out the secrets of this place and unlocked the key to correct her destiny. The illuminated windows were the place to start, but each of them showed lies, from images of Twilight Sparkle and all her friends as colts of all things, to a colorful glass window portraying an alicorn Trixie who was friend to all of Equestria. There were all kinds of strange places in the windows, even one where all of Ponyville was inhabited by stringed puppets in familiar shapes, moving and interacting nearly the same as their pony parallels.

Monster wandered the cloud pathways, poking her nose into the strange and wonderful lies while keeping a close horn on the time, which did not pass in the same way here. She wished one of her friends was with her to share the experience, but she could still tell them about it. Even if Monster could not get the words to come out, she had the memory spell, and although it creeped some of her friends out a little, they agreed that it was a very effective way of passing experiences around without difficult words.

Although Monster refused to use the spell on Scootaloo to help with her history homework, no matter how much she begged.

She wandered and looked, entranced by the varying rules and images of herself but unable to find the focus, the shewer-punkcht she knew the mirror was hiding, where Twilight Sparkle could make one small change and never become the monster that she was now. She thought Monster was alone in this place of sky and clouds, taking short leaps and gliding from path to path when windows became too strange and displayed awkward creatures covered in clothing and staggering around on their hind hooves.

Until she came around a particularly fluffy cloud, and saw another pony.

For a moment, Monster thought she was looking into a mirror through time. The mare had nearly the same lilac coloration as her own natural coat, but this mare’s mane was thrown back in a bouncing curl instead of being practically cut short across the bangs like a practical pony wore her mane.

And she was a unicorn.

And she was flying across the gaps in the cloud-tufted walkway by using her magic to lift herself, which Monster had never even considered possible.

And she was looking back at Monster with wide eyes and an open jaw that finally closed with a click when she called out, “Twilight!”

The word hit Monster like a hammer, but she struggled to regain her composure. After all, Monster was in the mirror to find just where she had made the error that turned Twilight Sparkle into a monster. She looked up at the strange mare and nodded slowly, but could not swallow enough of the dry spit in her mouth to call out a response.

The mare floated over to Monster and landed gently, with her face shifting from the initial expression of pleasant surprise into something a little more suspicious. “Wait a minute,” she said. “You’re not Twilight Sparkle, or at least the Twilight Sparkle I know. You’re younger, and—” she squinted and reached out with one hoof to touch Monster on the head “—sparkley just a bit. And dyed. But even if you’re not my Twilight Sparkle, you’re still Twilight. Amazing.”

After a long period of mutual examination, Monster rasped out, “Alternate world. Like pages in a book. All different. Some close, some weird.” It was Monster’s turn to squint at the older mare. “Who? Don’t know you.”

“You must not have met my counterpart in this mirror fragment,” said the mare. “I’m Starlight Glimmer. In my world, we’re friends. Well, we were enemies first, but you, or at least the you in my world made me see how powerful friendship is.”

“Oh,” said Monster. “Didn’t fight?”

“Oh, we fought.” Starlight Glimmer let out her breath in a frustrated huff. “I took away her cutie mark and the marks of all of her friends, but she still beat me. Then I used Starswirl’s spell to travel back in time to stop the first Sonic Rainboom so she would never meet her friends.” Starlight laughed once, but without any humor. “Oh, how we fought then. Head to head, spell to spell, until she showed me just why she was fighting. My spell was destroying worlds. Without that special link between Twilight and her friends, evil won, every time.”

“I have friends,” said Monster very slowly.

“Good,” said Starlight with a powerful sharpness to her voice that made Monster’s overly active mind skip merrily down the chain of logic that had driven her to this strange place inside Clover’s mirror. If regret had driven Monster to come into the mirror to fix the place in time she had messed up…

“Are you going to fix your past too?” asked Monster. “Find what broke. Go back. Make it good.”

Three different expressions tried to occupy Starlight’s face at the same time, with reluctance finally winning. “No,” admitted the older mare. “You’re right. Only an idiot would go back in time to mess up what they messed up in the first place. It only makes a bigger knot.”

Monster could not help but twist up her own face into a pained grimace. “Easy to lie to yourself. Make hurt less. Good lie, but still a lie. Trixie taught me how to see lies. When you lie to others. Yourself. Some lies good.” The little alicorn’s lips drew back into thin lines over her teeth. “Some bad. Cruel. Hurt. Hurt others. Hurt yourself. Bad lies.”

Starlight Glimmer’s mouth had dropped open again. “That’s… uh… accurate.” Her eyes narrowed. “Is that why you are here too? You want to find out where your past went wrong and fix it?”

Monster took several breaths to calm herself and nodded. “Bad idea?”

“Bad idea.” Starlight lit up her horn with the soft glow of a spell that went out after a brief flash. “This trip was all a bad idea. You’re right. I should have listened to my Twilight. I’m just trying to get out from under my guilt… Wait a minute. What did you mess up in history that you want to fix?”

Monster could not make the words, but she did move forward and touched horns with the taller mare, who bent down when she got close. The memory spell was getting familiar through practice, and strangely enough made the feeling of her memories streaming out to another pony less painful. Starlight had asked a large question, which made Monster dredge up all of the memories she could, from the present all the way back to that agonizing day in Canterlot when she tried to bring the sun down on the city.

She thought Starlight Glimmer would be terrified at her memories of pain and destruction, but a wave of compassion swept back along the magical link, along with memories of Starlight’s own. The town filled with happy ponies sporting identical cutie marks, smiling on the outside but miserable in their hearts at being separated from their gifts. The hot blaze of revenge as she blasted away at an adult Princess Twilight Sparkle and her frightened dragon. The crushing sense of shame at having to face up with the ponies she had hurt. The joy in traveling with her own mismatched friends to the changeling lands to rescue the victims of an evil queen.

They were the memories of a similarly anguished soul, and harmonized with Monster’s own guilt and shame until she found herself weeping quietly against the mare’s warm neck. She could have stayed there forever, except the spell she was using to keep track of time in this strange, nearly timeless place showed she needed to leave soon, so she gave Starlight one last damp nuzzle and asked, “Discord? A friend? Really?”

“Well… Kind-of.” Starlight scratched the back of her mane. “I can’t imagine your Chrysalis being dead, and Cadence as the Queen of the Changelings either. I guess our memories aren’t quite the same as being there. You really think of yourself as a monster?”

“Yeah. Kind-of. Was.” Twilight took a hesitant breath. “Can be again. Don’t want.”

“I know what you mean,” said Starlight Glimmer. “If I hadn’t met Twilight… Wait a minute. You haven’t met me before, so if our timelines are synchronized, your me is still out there. She must be building her power, and when you meet, she will—”

“Take my cutie mark,” said Monster. “Take my power. Hurt my friends.”

Starlight lowered her head to look into Monster’s eyes. “You can face her. You can make her see the power of friendship. No amount of simple power can stand up to you and your friends. You don’t need to go back in time for anything. You can take on any challenge, any threat. Discord, the Storm King, me. Even Tirek.” Starlight took a breath and looked away. “Well, not him. Some of your enemies can be turned to friendship, but a few you just need to beat like a rug. I’m just glad my Twilight was persistent. I was a very, very difficult friend to make.”

“Cheating,” said Monster. “You saw them. I know about them now. And you.”

“Good.” Starlight’s face lit up in a pleased smile. “My Trixie taught me that if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying.”

Monster nodded and gave Starlight Glimmer one last-last nuzzle. “My Trixie too. No time spells for you, promise? Special, just the way you are.”

“You too, kid.” Starlight brushed one hoof through Monster’s short mane and looked her straight in the eye. “No time spells for you, either. You’ll get through this with your friends. You’re Twilight Sparkle through and through, from nose to tail, just like the one I know after all. Friends?” She held a hoof ‘down low’ for bumping.

“Friends,” said Monster, giving Starlight a gentle bump. “Gotta go. Meeting.”

“Yeah, I should get moving too before my Twilight comes looking for me.” Starlight Glimmer shook her head. “We’d never get out of here then. You’d talk each other’s ears off.”

While Monster hopped and glided away in the direction of her entrance spot, she could not resist a small smile. She was glad the time travel spell was not needed anymore, because the mirror had shown her an alternative, even though it was not what she expected.

It helped her make a good decision, and she made a friend in the process. It was a good day.

Even if she was going to be a tiny bit late for lunch with her friends in the cafeteria.

~ ~ ~ ~

It was a good day for Tempest Shadow and only getting better. A quick glance across the empty floor of the museum showed she had a clear shot at the little alicorn who had just appeared behind her. It was strange, but her appearance was about as abrupt and unexpected as if the alicorn had stepped out of the metal mirror. Tempest’s petrification bombs were both simple and tricky, taking a sharp impact to arm and then the smallest of disturbances to detonate, so all she had to do was take a step backward, turn the foal into a statue, and wrap her up in a tarp for transportation to the Storm King.

Piece of cake.

She made the step backward while slipping the bomb out of her saddlebag, but the little alicorn stepped forward just as fast or faster, her eyes wide with the joy of recognition. Those were dangerous eyes, big, dark, and happy, which was not at all what Tempest expected. A second step gained her no more distance, although the happy expression on the alicorn’s face… fell catastrophically, from cheerful to sorrowful in one swift motion as she opened up her mouth and said two words Tempest had not heard in many, many years.

“Fizzlepop Berrytwist.”

It was impossible. Nopony knew that name, not the Storm King, not any of his minions, not anypony! Even Tempest had nearly forgotten the words, buried under memories of her bitter progress through enemies and allies alike until she had climbed to the side of her present master. Tempest’s muscles froze up from shock, although some sense of self-preservation kept her from dropping the petrification bomb and turning them both into statues.

The sorrowful little alicorn took another step forward, then a rapid second and third until she flung herself into a vice-like grip around Tempest’s neck. Both of their breaths went out in a whoosh of air, with the little alicorn sobbing and crying until tears began to trickle down one long foreleg. The dampness made the petrification bomb slippery, and nearly allowed it to fall on the floor before Tempest could get it tucked back into her saddlebag just to be safe.

Twilight’s behavior was in a word, weird, and in more words, far more bizarre than she had ever expected. Nopony else had ever just clung to her as if she could feel the clawing pain of rejection that Tempest had lived with all of her life, and had used to build her power by channeling it into iron-bound determination.

“So sorry,” sobbed the little alicorn in a brief moment where her grip slackened enough for them both to breathe. “Your friends. Hurt you. Didn’t mean.” Taking a deep breath, the little purple alicorn backed up enough to look up at Tempest, but not at her broken horn. She looked right into her eyes, straight down to her soul in a way that made Tempest know she had endured the same pain or worse. “Storm King lied!” spat Twilight with unexpected vehemence. “Not heal your horn! Used you! Betrayed you! Hurt you,” she added with a sob, throwing herself against Tempest’s wet neck again. “Bad.”

“How…” Tempest stroked one hoof through the little alicorn’s short purple mane, trying to figure out just where her world had gotten derailed in the last few seconds and just why she was trying to comfort her target instead of capture her. “How do you know about the Storm King?” she finally asked, because Tempest was terrified of asking how Twilight knew her real name.

“Friend,” said Twilight Sparkle. “New friend. Was bad, like you. Turned good, like you. Defends ponies now instead of hurting them. Was hurt, alone. Wanted power. Needed friends. Friends? Oh, my friends!”

The little alicorn burst out of Tempest’s grasp and darted away, dashed back just as fast, did two quick circles around her with tiny hooves flying in all directions on the smooth granite tiles, then shoved Tempest down the corridor from behind. “Come on,” she shouted, bursting into a frantic gallop which Tempest found herself pushing to match. “Hurry!”

The practical action would be to grab a petrification grenade and hit her target on the run, but at the rate Twilight was moving, she did not have a chance. What was worse, the child was faster than Tempest, and hesitated at corridor intersections and doorways with panic-filled glances over her shoulders or the tippy-tappy of tiny shoes on tile while waiting impatiently for the panting, gasping, sweating unicorn in pursuit. Even worse, her path led Tempest straight into the high-security sections of Canterlot castle, past guards who jumped to open doors in front of them, servants who flung themselves against the wall to get out of the way, and at least one cluster of well-dressed royals who were brutally slammed out of the way by a guard just before they galloped past.

They burst through a wide double-door, made a skidding turn on a thick carpet that came up to Tempest’s ankles and slid to a panting halt in front of…

Celestia’s Captain of the Royal Guard, and the Alicorn of Love.

Overcome with shock, Tempest could not move. Twilight Sparkle had no such problem. She shoved Tempest forward, practically into Cadenza’s face while panting out, “Hurt. Needs you. Needs friend.”

“Twilight!” Princess Cadenza recoiled a little at having a strange, sweating pony pushed up to her, but she looked deep into Tempest’s eyes with almost the exact same penetrating gaze as the smaller alicorn. “I see,” she breathed.

“What—” Tempest barely managed to get the word out before being engulfed by pinkness, wrapped in the embrace of blazing warmth and love with warm feathers and gentle restraint. She should have fought back with a hoof-strike to vulnerable areas on the target’s vast belly, but Tempest could not string two thoughts together, and one of those thoughts was how even the unborn foal in the alicorn’s belly seemed to be pressing up against her with soft hooves also, calming her natural reaction of violence.

The thready and staccato voice of Twilight behind her picked up after a few rapid breaths, “Storm King. Lied to her. Promised to heal her horn. Lied! I can’t help. Know you can.”

“You can heal my horn?” asked Tempest, with her mouth still pressed against Princess Cadenza’s warm neck, but barely able to get free enough to talk.

“Horn yes,” said Twilight Sparkle. A small hoof rested on Tempest’s back and pressed. “Heart broken first. Needs healed first.”

“That’s… the Storm King’s second in command,” said Prince Shining Armor. “What’s she doing here! In Canterlo—”

Tempest had managed to get turned just enough to see the handsome prince when Twilight Sparkle rounded on him, ears pinned back and tail lashing behind her as she snapped, “No! Be good!”

The glow that had formed around Shining Armor’s horn went out like a snuffed candle.

“You be good!” said the little alicorn again, calming down to the point where her tail quit thrashing back and forth. “You be good or… I’ll tell mom!”

Shining Armor looked at Tempest. Tempest looked back. A temporary truce was declared in that glance, signed, sealed, and set in stone until such time as it could be mutually examined in a more sane environment.

“I’ll… be good, Twily. I promise.” Shining Armor’s strong voice was confused, a mix of joy and nerves to the point where it actually cracked a little at the end, and shut off totally when Twilight lunged forward and wrapped herself around his neck just as tightly as she had done to Tempest Shadow such a short time ago. There were several quiet popping sounds, most likely from dislocated vertebrae, as well as a soft and gentle sniffing from Princess Cadenza, who had not relaxed her warm, encompassing hold on Tempest Shadow one iota.

“I thought I’d never see that again,” whispered Cadenza into Tempest’s ear. “She was taken away from us so long ago, and you brought her back.”

“Um… She kinda dragged me here.” Tempest managed to look around the room for exits, and realized that she was in some sort of dining room that had suffered a severe game of Hungry, Hungry Alicorns from the towering piles of used plates and dishes scattered along the table, matching a few food stains on Cadenza’s chin. “Am I in trouble?”

“No.” Cadenza nuzzled Tempest right in her ticklish ear. “You’re not. We were just going to have dessert, so you can sit right here with us and talk. If you want to leave when we’re done, you’re perfectly free to do so, but I know we can be friends instead of enemies. We’ll just need some more ice cream for dessert.”

The little alicorn strangling the prince stopped with an abrupt twitch. “Dessert? Oh, no! I’m going to be late for lunch!” She flew across the intervening space to give Tempest one last rib-cracking squeeze, then vanished in a brilliant flash of teleportation magic and a sharp pop.

“Twily was here.” Shining Armor wiped one foreleg across his streaming eyes and sniffled. “I haven’t seen her in over ten years, and you brought her back to us.”

“Well, I— urk!” The prince had more muscles under his rough white coat than Tempest had expected, and a crushing embrace that drove the air out of her lungs. He was stronger than either of the two alicorns too, or at least less able to control the emotions that coursed through his muscular body. He practically bawled against her like an anguished foal with a river of warm tears pouring down her neck and shuddering sobs wracking his body.

“Thank you,” he managed to gasp out in the middle of his embrace. “Thank you thank you! Anything you need, anything at all, it’s yours. Thank you!”

“His whole family are huggers,” whispered Princess Cadenza.

Author's Note:

Note: There is a wonderful story in Fimfiction called Little Deceptions (Thanks Scion) about a thief who is sneaking into the castle, disguises himself as a guard, gets comfortable in front of the door to the treasure he's going to steal... and Celestia comes strolling along and calls him by his name. His real name, not the one he had been using. Somebody link that in the comments, please. I love my readers. :heart:

Who needs memory. I have minions. :pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next