• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 23,923 Views, 3,670 Comments

Letters From a Little Princess Monster - Georg



Monster finds problems fitting in and getting used to her new world in Ponyville. To help adjust, she reaches out to Princess Luna who has many of the same problems now that she is recovering from being Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
43
 3,670
 23,923

PreviousChapters Next
46. Mirror - rorriM - Part Three

Letters From a Little Princess Monster
Mirror - rorriM - Part Three


Although Luna was the Princess of Dreams, many guards and staff at the castle considered Celestia to be the Princess of Sleeps Like a Mountain, particularly when she had to be woken up at some late hour to deal with some governing emergency. Although alicorns really did not need much sleep, what they got tended to be concentrated into a subatomically-compressed form slightly thicker than Celestia’s morning coffee, and the standard briefing for new diplomats to Equestria took great care to explain how waking up Princess Celestia for minor problems was a Bad Idea somewhat on a scale between invading Stalliongrad and parachute pants.

Sometime around four years ago, Celestia had gotten used to receiving midnight missives from her traveling student, normally inquiring about bail money or the state of any pending pardon requests, so when her horn tingled with the aetheric signal of an incoming scroll, she merely rolled onto one side in order to allow the resulting scroll to drop onto the bed beside her. Still, the fact that Trixie was using what she liked to call D-mail showed how whatever was in the scroll was at least important to one pony, and Celestia opened one eye to inspect the outsides of the scroll.

Then she opened both eyes and yawned.

To Princess Luna (or her sister, if she wants to read it or if Luna can’t answer right away, which is all right with me and Scoots so donut worry about it)

“One of these days, I need to teach Spike how to drop these things in Luna’s lap,” grumbled Celestia, although she was quick to open up the scroll and peek inside.

Dear Princess Luna

Aunt Quick Fix is taking Scootaloo and I to Fillydelphia and to and amusment park afterwards. Could we have permissions for my friends to go to?

Your friend
Twilight Monster Flower

Ps we waitied until almost dawn to send this so you could be done with cort.

pps We need one for Diamond Tiarra’s daddy too so she can come along.

An amusement park. It did seem like a considerable stretch for Twilight, but then again, she was asking about it, which was a wonderful sign. Her parents had been so concerned about Twilight being damaged beyond healing, and Celestia’s own gut-twisting worries in that regard had been carefully buried as not to feed anypony else's concerns. After all, it had taken decades for Celestia to recover her composure after Luna’s banishment, but she had been old even then.

Ah, the resilience of youth, and the support of friends. And now she has even more friends. I was right to leave her in Ponyville.

Celestia could have flown even without wings from the joyous sensation filling her heart and banished any need for sleep. Humming a happy tune just short of breaking out in song, she danced over to the desk and stopped with a quill held over a piece of creamy stationary. It would take less than an hour for a Royal Courier to carry the permission to Twilight’s friends, but she would never get back to sleep now. All it took was a few quick words to the door guards and Celestia sprang from her balcony window instead, spreading her wings and ascending into the early morning darkness.

While Luna was stuck in Night Court and dealing with the nobility, Celestia had a different destination in mind.

Ponyville.


(Credit: Air by Nadnerbd at Deviantart )

* * *

“Hey there, Menace!” Trixie trudged down the library stairs with a cup of coffee fairly glued to her face, making the little purple alicorn jump and turn her back on the sleeping dragon. Twilight still held a smoldering stick in her magical grasp and Trixie smirked to herself at the ‘Mystical Secret’ she had shown to Twilight. Although Spike was still charging several bits per dragon powered delivery, while sleeping he could still be tickled in just the right spot on his ribs in order to discharge a bit-free jet of dragonfire, provided you held the scroll away from anything you did not want singed or sent. “Getting up or going to bed?”

“Getting up.” Twilight yawned briefly, displaying a set of perfect little teeth which still made Trixie grind her own teeth in jealousy. Trixie was starting to think Minuette was only making repeat appointments for Trixie just to chat about Twilight and how she was doing. Then again, Trixie could vaguely remember the friendly dentist as a filly in Celestia’s school too, so it was probably just normal for her to be curious about her classmate.

Twilight, that is. Not Trixie. Nopony really cared about Trixie. Except maybe Twilight.

“Well, I hope you have the next few days free, because Trixie has won an all expense paid trip for two days and nights to the most exclusive spa in Equestria!” She paused with one hoof up in the air and finished the coffee, all the way down to the licorice residue at the bottom of the cup.

“Going to Funland,” said Twilight.

“Oh.” Feeling much as if her introduction had been stolen away by a younger and much more talented performer, Trixie coughed into one hoof. “So, who are you going with?”

“Scootaloo. Her aunt. My friends.” Twilight looked away from Trixie and hunched her back. “Diamond Tiara.”

“The filly Scootaloo punched in the face yesterday? Mister Biceps came by afterwards,” continued Trixie at Twilight’s startled look. “He said… something, I suppose.” Trixie waved a dismissive hoof. “Trixie thought it would be easier to get it from the horse’s mouth, so to say. He didn’t make much sense with a bandage over his nose. So what’s up?”

Twilight hunched over even further and shuffled over to the edge of the couch so she could hide in its fuzzy shadow. She was obviously upset about how the dispute between her friend and the little rich weasel had gone, and needed as much encouragement as Trixie could managed to scrape up, which was where the bag of bits in Trixie’s cape came in. Whatever Twilight had done with the dispute between Diamond Tiara and Scootaloo seemed to have worked, from what little Trixie had heard. Or at least nopony had wound up in the emergency room, which was always a plus.

As a reward, Trixie had planned on bringing Twilight along to the spa so she could spend a little quality bonding time with the little alicorn. It burned a little to think a bunch of little fillies was making more progress with getting Twilight Sparkle back than Trixie had managed, but Trixie was getting used to the feeling. Now Trixie needed to be supportive more than she needed to take credit, and if that meant going on an all-expense paid trip to a spa while Scootaloo’s aunt took the little disaster zones to a Fillydelphia amusement park on a day trip, well, Trixie could handle it.

The little alicorn in question shuffled her hooves and tried to nose under the quilt thrown over the new couch before mumbling, “Swapped Scoots and Diamond. Scoots is over at Mister Rich’s house. Diamond is at Scoots.”

“That’s great!” exclaimed Trixie, mostly because the solution did not involve any work on her part. “They’re learning all about each other, I bet.”

Twilight’s face was a perfect example of stunned amazement, but eventually she shrugged the end of the blanket off while nodding, ever so slightly.

“And when they can get along without beating each other’s face in, they can swap back.” Trixie beamed as much energy as she could for this unheavenly hour of the morning. “I think your hard work deserves a reward.”

“You do?”

“Yes, I do.” Trixie dug into her cape and drew out a small pouch, from which she extracted a few bits. “Rarity stopped by last evening and gave me the good news about my trip this morning. I didn’t even know she was running any contest at her store.” The smile across Trixie’s face faded every so slightly. “Gave me a whole bag of bits for spending money, too. The interest rate even isn’t very high, and the payment terms can be stretched out for years.”

Trixie counted out seven bits into Twilight’s extended hoof. “Don’t spend ‘em all in one place. Oh, wait.” She added the entire bit-stuffed pouch to the pile. “You’ll need a lot more than a few bits to spend. Bring me back the change and one of those hats with the ears, wouldja?”

* * *

Across town, in a dark bedroom of the Rich mansion, another set of ears barely protruded out from under a silken comforter while a stentorian snore filled the room. With one final tick of precision Swish clockwork, Diamond Tiara’s alarm clock began to delicately beat out a lively little tune of early morning awakening on a small set of silver bells, which triggered a sluggish movement in the depths of the bed, growing in speed until Scootaloo popped out from under the covers and stumbled to a standing position on the soft rug next to the bed. “Gotta hurry. Papers will be here soon,” she muttered, bumping the ‘off’ button with her chin and stumbling into the bathroom for her pre-dawn tooth brushing and other waking activities, which lasted all the way until she tried to brush her nonexistent wings.

“What the… Oh, yeah.” After a painful pinch to the side to make sure she was not dreaming, Scootaloo looked up into the mirror and considered the face of her arch-rival looking back. All of the proper nefarious sneers and scowls Diamond Tiara seemed to do so effortlessly just looked like she had developed some sort of nervous tic instead, so after a quick brush through her mane, and then another couple just to keep up appearances for her present body, she bounded out of her room and down to the kitchen for breakfast.

* * *

Princess Celestia danced through the stars as she glided along towards Ponyville, kicking up her heels and even using the dark as cover to do a few acrobatics she never would have had the courage to do in broad daylight around the stuffy court. She could hear the ever so faint beating of membranous wings behind her, showing that the Night Guard was taking their task seriously, even when the Princess they were guarding in the dark was different than their normal charge. Still, the Nocturne took great pains to remain as hidden as possible during any nocturnal outing, so it was impossible to tell if there were two or twenty of her guards swept along on her early-morning or perhaps late-late-evening flight.

Twilight Sparkle had included a listing of all of her friends who were going along on the trip, as well as a map of the town (from above, with color-coded marks for each friends’ house) and listing of which parent/guardian would need the most convincing. The candy maker’s house was first, and despite the early hour, Agent Sweetie Drops was maintaining her cover identity as Bon Bon and had just begun to box up a whole mountain of fresh chocolate cherries.

She bought a box while dropping off the permission slip. Then after due consideration, bought four more of each flavor. The Canterlot fashion scene was just going to have to live with a Royal Princess wearing ‘healthy’ thighs this year, as well as an absence of those cursed dresses she had been wearing for the last few years.

Featherweight’s parents had just started breakfast when she dropped in, and to Celestia’s pleasure, were perfectly happy with allowing their son to travel with Twilight Sparkle and her friends. After all, they explained, he had managed to survive over the summer with her, and they really doubted there was anything in Fillydelphia more dangerous than the pictures⁽*⁾ he had brought back from the Everfree Forest.
(*) Monster had 'helped' Featherweight develop some of his pictures. A few of them were still lurking around the house, pouncing on the occasional unwary ankle. But they kept the mice down, so the parents tolerated them.

Rarity’s house was a little different. Celestia lighted upon the balcony of the Carousel Boutique with all the delicacy of a hummingbird (provided said hummingbird had already gone halfway through a box of dark chocolate dipped cherries) and tapped gently on her balcony door for several minutes before a shuffling creature, draped in a threadbare robe and topped with a silk sleeping mask, cracked the window open and mumbled, “Readdiamadiut do dressinton — mugmph!”

After a cheerful description of the upcoming trip and a polite inquiry as to the state of Rarity’s business, Celestia realized a certain lack of attention on her subject’s part, as well as a standing-up snore.

She tucked the fashion pony back into bed and left the permission slip on her pillow before soaring back out the window for the extremely short trip to the Golden Oak Library where to her surprise, Trixie was standing outside with a small bag.

It was the first time Celestia had seen her student beat the sun to rise, except for the times when Trixie had not set yet when dusk turned to dawn. She spent a few precious minutes exchanging stories about ongoing events including Twilight’s new friend before giving Trixie a kiss on the forehead and leaving her student behind to wait on the limo ride to her well-deserved spa vacation.

It gave Celestia an idea while flying to her next to last stop. A trip to this spa with Luna would be a wonderful gift they both would enjoy. There were several spas within Canterlot, but the close proximity included the ability of other ponies to interrupt their time together, and Celestia was feeling just a tad possessive of her long-lost sister. She would have to see if Flax & Wheat's New Age All-Natural Wellness Center would be willing to have a pair of Royal patrons reserve the entire spa for a whole week, or if the exclusive weekend would interfere with their existing clientele. She filed the idea away under ‘Things To Do In Canterlot Today’ while mentally flipping through her Ponyville folder with a growing smile. After all, the next location was already on her schedule, so there was no reason to put off the visit until later.

* * *

Breakfast at Sweet Apple Acres tended to be an aggressive meal, with stacks of apple-fortified flapjacks and bowls of creamy oatmeal to fuel a pair of healthy farm ponies for a brisk morning of apple bucking and chores. Three ponies were gathered around the Apple family table this pre-dawn morning, discussing nothing in particular when there was a sharp knock on the door.

“I’ll get it,” said Big Mac, scooting away from the table and wiping his mouth on a nearby napkin. It was only a brief trot through the other room to open the farmhouse’s front door and ask, “Can I help—”

A delicious chunk of dark chocolate was popped into his mouth, followed by a pair of scorching lips meeting his. Even after last night, Big Mac’s heart was hammering away by the time Princess Celestia ended the kiss, leaving the chocolate dipped cherry a thin film steaming away on the inside of his mouth mixed with the taste of sunshine and summer. “Hello, Big Mac,” she whispered, floating over a thick folded sheet of creamy paper emblazoned with the Celestial seal. “Sorry I haven’t been back lately, but I believe I can get free next Thursday to spend a little time with you.”

She popped another chocolate dipped cherry into his mouth as Big Mac nodded with wide eyes, and Celestia added a quick kiss to his nose before rising into the air with a quick “See you then” called back in her wake. As Celestia ascended into the air, so did the sun, sweeping a brilliant wave of light across the Ponyville valley to light the world in gold, and revealed Apple Bloom standing almost at his hooves while holding the Manehattan paper in her mouth.

“Morning, Big Mac,” she called, bouncing inside with the newspaper. “Is that my permission slip for Scootaloo’s doctoring trip in Fillydelphia?”

“Um… Eeyup.” Big Mac finished chewing the last of the chocolate cherry as Apple Bloom dashed into the kitchen and put the paper down on the table.

“Morning, Princess Luna,” said Apple Bloom while nabbing the last of the oatcakes. “I’d stay and chat but we gotta get going if we’re gonna make it to the train station for the trip to Fillydelphia.”

“Indeed, young one,” said Luna with a smile and an application of a napkin to deal with a small remnant of the oatcakes and zapapple syrup still stuck to the edge of her lips. “Are all of thy little friends going?”

“Yep,” said Apple Bloom through her vigorous chewing. “Even Diamond Tiara and Twilight. Gotta run!”

“Ah think we should be goin’ too,” said Applejack, eyeing her brother suspiciously once Apple Bloom had stampeded out of the kitchen at top speed. “Since Granny’s rheumatism is flaring up, it’s gonna be a long day out in the fields to catch up.”

“Wouldt thou like some help, friend Applejack?” said Luna with a mischievous smile. “It hath been a few years since I last pitted my hooves ‘gainst a worthy opponent, and a turn about the fruit trees as in days of old should be… interesting.”

“Ah…” Applejack spared a glance at her brother, who seemed to be suppressing a somewhat trapped-between-two-incoming-wagons look with a trickle of sweat leaking down from his mane. “Thank ye kindly, Your Highness. I reckon if’n yer offering to help, it would be right unneighborly for me to turn you down.”

* * *

Diamond Tiara rested weary legs against the sill of the train window and stared outside as the Fillydelphia-bound train full of little jerks jerked into motion. This morning had not gone the way she had wanted, from the abrupt panic-filled appearance of Aunt Quick Fix into the room where the Crusaders were sleeping, shouting out something about how she had slept through her alarm and the newspapers were outside, to the blur of motion as Scootaloo’s friends had burst out of bed and sprang into action.

Newspapers were supposed to magically appear out on the doorstep every morning for Daddy to sleepily trod out and retrieve while Diamond snitched a piece of his haycon from the breakfast table. They were early morning toys where Daddy would point to words he could not pronounce and get his little filly to sound out for him, and allow her graciously to have the section with the comics in it while he read the boring old crop reports and stock market news. They were most definitely not supposed to show up on the doorstep in a small mountain of newsprint needing to be wrapped with rubber bands and dashed out into the early morning town to be dropped on other pony’s doorsteps by a whole horde of little ponies, even if Apple Bloom had remarked rather snarkily about Scootaloo normally helping Archer do the whole route by themselves every morning. Without the featherbrain-driven scooter, they had to run the papers all over town, and Diamond had not even gotten breakfast before the last paper had been thrown and Quick Fix had hustled the whole group to the train station and onto the waiting train.

The low rumble in her tummy was joined by another negative feeling as Scootaloo, still wearing her stolen body although reeking with sweat and speckled with dirt, thumped down on the bench next to Diamond Tiara and gave an enormous yawn.

“Auntie Fix ran up to the dining car to see if they have any waffles,” she said with a second yawn. “I am allowed to have waffles without making you too fat, right?”

“I only eat the healthiest of foods,” said Diamond Tiara, mournfully thinking of the stack of oatcakes with raspberry syrup she had missed this morning. “Kale and spinach and other salady things for breakfast. Besides, isn’t Daddy going to be all mad at you for sneaking out of the house?”

Scootaloo smirked and shook her head. “Nope. I don’t think so.”

* * *

Mornings in the Rich Estate started in the kitchen long before the sun had risen, and Randolph was just a little discouraged to find out that Saucy Pans had beaten him to the coffeepot again this morning, as well as started to get out the fixings for the morning meal. Randolph had been slowing down more lately, despite his objections to the contrary, and seeing the young earth pony cook in the kitchen rattling the pots and arranging things on the stove only made him miss his long-departed wife even more, and think of the upcoming days when he would no longer be able to be of service to the Rich family.

“Morning, Randolph,” called Saucy as she sat his coffee cup at the table and arranged a napkin next to it as to indicate her unfailing concern over the elderly stallion and a sincere wish for him to actually sit down instead of trying to help.

“Morning, Saucy,” he replied, opening up the icebox and retrieving the eggs. “I believe Master Rich and Miss Diamond will be wanting pancakes this morning.”

“Pancakes? Whee!” Diamond Tiara fairly bounded into the kitchen and clambered up the shelves to pull out a box of pancake mix. “Do you need any help with ‘em or should I go do my chores first? I do have chores, right?”

In the stunned silence afterwards, Randolph could not even breathe. He was fairly certain Miss Diamond Tiara knew what a sunrise was in an abstract sense, but that she had never actually seen one, let alone gotten up before the occasion. Finally, he took a breath, and all of the accumulated snark of eight years of difficult filly raising slipped out. “Of course you have chores, Miss Diamond. After you weed the flowerbeds, we will need a number of forsythia and lilac sprouts for the kitchen vase, and some violet petals for Mister Rich’s morning salad.”

“Got it!” Diamond Tiara dropped the box of pancake mix on the table and bounded for the door, calling back over her shoulder, “Save a couple pancakes for me.”

The two of them stood in the kitchen and blinked for a while before Saucy turned to Randolph and asked, “Who was that?”

“Miss Diamond Tiara has experienced…” Randolph paused in search of a word to adequately describe the situation, but without a trip to the dictionary with a pencil, nothing really sprang to mind. After a quick glance behind him to make sure Mister Rich had not also risen early, Randolph continued, “Our little rotten egg seems to have hatched into a princess.” After an additional glance out the window to where Diamond Tiara was striding through the flower beds, stopping to nip off a weed here and there, he added, “A particularly strange princess, I would suppose.”

The rest of the breakfast preparation process was completed without much conversation, just the occasional disbelieving look out the window at where a bare-headed Diamond Tiara was rooting around in the pre-dawn flowerbeds with occasional trips into the kitchen to deliver the requested flowers for the vase and petals for the breakfast salad. By the time breakfast preparations had been completed and tucked under the warming covers for Master Rich and his daughter, Randolph and Saucy found themselves side by side at the sink, washing the dishes as a dirt-encrusted Diamond bounded into the kitchen for one last quick phrase before vanishing.

“She’s here and I gotta go before the train leaves bye!”

“Mistress Diamond is attempting to escape,” remarked Randolph, looking out the kitchen window at the galloping filly while drying a plate.

“Somepony should really stop her,” said Saucy, dunking another dirty dish into the sudsy water and beginning to scrub. “You said she’s supposed to be restricted to the house all day.”

“Once we’re done with the dishes,” said Randolph firmly, although a polite tapping at the kitchen door made him sit the drying towel to one side and go answer it.

“Yes, can I help—” Randolph looked up. And then up some more.

“Pardon me,” said Princess Celestia with an ever-so-slightly-chocolate-tinged smile. She held a creamy white envelope in her magic, as well as the morning newspaper to one side. “May I speak with Filthy Rich?”

* * *

There was something familiar to the tick-tick-tick of the train tracks which brought memories swirling around Monster like sharptooth bitey fish during a summer river soak. They nipped at her mind and tunnelled into her heart while her friends all chattered together or slumped on the seats for some missed sleep, and eventually drove Monster into making a short walk over to where the orange-coated pegasus was staring glumly out of the train window.

“I brought you some waffles,” murmured Monster.

“I don’t want any stupid waffles,” said Diamond Tiara, although the growl her stomach gave out at the words said otherwise. After a long time of sitting next to the grouchy pegasus, Diamond took the proffered plate and scowled at the contents. “They’re not cut up.”

With a small touch of her new magic, Monster lit her horn and created a small discontinuity in reality that she drew along the waffles with exacting precision, as not to accidently cut through the plate or the train window sill beneath it. “Sorry,” Monster added as she made the prenaturally sharp blade vanish back into the magic of its creation. “Scoots eats them in one big bite. Feather sticks two in his mouth, but he makes little choking noises while chewing.”

“Featherweight,” corrected Diamond as she stabbed one of the waffle segments with a fork. “Can’t you even talk right?”

“No.” Monster rested her chin on the window sill and stared out the window as the countryside passed. “I’m broken.”

“At least you got your cutie mark,” prompted Diamond Tiara through a mouthful of waffle, although her eyes narrowed in suspicion. “How can you be smaller than Sweetie Belle and still cast a spell like you did on me and Scootaloo?”

“Scootaloo and myself,” corrected Monster. Then she paused and furrowed her brow in thought. “No, me and Scootaloo is right. I think. Can’t remember. Luna said I should be a patient patient. Healing.”

“Yeah, yeah,” said Diamond Tiara, waving a sticky fork. “If you and Scootaloser actually did bring Princess Luna into my bedroom, and I’m not saying you did…” Her eyes narrowed some more. “Luna’s not your mother, is she?”

“No.” Monster swallowed while watching a copse of trees next to the rails go by. “Zecora is mom. So is Twilight…” She tried to swallow again, but her throat was dry enough to stick together and almost keep her from breathing. Taking a sip of juice from the little cardboard box labeled “Contains Actual Juice” barely managed to allow her to squeak out, “Velvet.”

“Never heard of them,” said Diamond Tiara with an additional bite of waffle, although her chewing slowed as she thought. “Wait a minute. I have heard of Twilight Velvet. She’s Prince Shining Armor’s mother. You don’t actually think you’re the Twilight Sparkle, do you? She’s like twenty or something, running around in the Everfree Forest until lately. Daddy used to say she’s crazy but the newspapers say she’s off in some arctic polar monastery with the Mystic Shaven Yaks of Yik, learning the secrets behind the Elements of Harmony.”

“Friendship,” said Monster. “Not a secret. Friends. My friends used them to save Princess Luna. And me. I. Myself.”

Despite a mouthful of waffle, Diamond Tiara still managed to scoff. “Your friends aren’t the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. Everypony knows they’re those old ponies back in Ponyville. It was in all the papers.”

“Yes.” Monster looked down at the floor and closed her eyes. “No.” She reached out and put one slightly-sticky hoof in the center of Diamond Tiara’s chest. “Scoots is Generosity. She gives and gives until she has nothing to give, and then gives more. Paper route is actually Archer’s. She left town. Scoots volunteered to deliver papers for her.”

“That was dumb.” Diamond Tiara reached to brush off the unwanted hoof on her chest, but decided against it. “I mean Archer could have hired somepony.”

“Archer’s grandmother died. Went to funeral. No time. Told Scoots. Knew Scoots would help for a few days. For free. Would you have?”

* * *

It was not a question Diamond Tiara had expected or wanted. She paused with her mouth open and the taste of the waffles becoming bitter on her tongue. What she wanted to say was not what she could say. Archer was not really a friend, but she had let Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon copy off her homework a few days when they had been a little sloppy about getting it done, and although she had offered the little filly ten bits, Archer had turned it down. If Archer had come around the house in need of somepony to run her paper route for a few days, Diamond Tiara could have had Randolph deliver the papers. She could have. She probably would not have, but she could have.

“That still doesn’t really make you Twilight Sparkle,” said Diamond, putting the fork back down on the nearly-clean plate and pushing it back over onto the table. “So Featherweight is stupidly silly, Twist couldn’t be mean even if she tried, and Sweetie Belle can’t lie. That doesn’t make them the Elements of Harmony, and it doesn’t make you Twilight Sparkle.” Although the words were spoken just as strong as she intended, the small purple hoof on the center of her chest made them sound tinny and wrong.

That and the little tips of purple wings peeking out from under Twilight’s 5F1C cape.

Obviously, there were only three alicorns in Equestria, although a few weeks ago, she would have said two. There were a few rare freaks of nature who were born with both a unicorn’s horn and pegasus wings, but according to the newspapers⁽*⁾, pegacorns could only do a pitiful fraction of what a real unicorn or pegasus could do.

Obviously the little purple freak could use magic, or Diamond Tiara would still be herself.

Obviously the little purple… pony could use her wings, because Diamond Tiara had watched the heavy weights go up and down on the scales as she flexed.

The only (and most obvious) flaw in the theory would be if Twilight was really Twilight Sparkle, then the five most loser ponies in the entire world had done the coolest thing imaginable by defeating Nightmare Moon and bringing back Princess Luna.

There had to be another explanation.

Nothing sprang to mind right away.

She had time.

After all, having wings was kind of cool.


(*) Most newspapers which ran articles on pegacorns prefaced them with headlines such as ‘Princess Celestia’s Secret Love Child Revealed’ or ‘The Alicorn Legacy: Could Your Child Ascend?’ and accompanied them with blurry photographs. By pure chance, the Baltimare Star just happened to run an article titled ‘Celestial Family Reunion Upcoming’ the week before Nightmare Moon’s return, which would have been a real literary coup if they had not claimed Celestia’s little brother was returning from a trip to Caprica Nine to rule at her side.

PreviousChapters Next