• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 23,880 Views, 3,637 Comments

Letters From a Little Princess Monster - Georg



Monster finds problems fitting in and getting used to her new world in Ponyville. To help adjust, she reaches out to Princess Luna who has many of the same problems now that she is recovering from being Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
43
 3,637
 23,880

PreviousChapters Next
54 - 24 - Part Two

Letters From a Little Princess Monster
24 - Part Two


Location: The City (City Hall to be specific.)
Time: An otherwise uneventful morning in town
Activity: Step One in the Evil Master Plan of Taking over the World

☐ - Stage One: Takeover City Hall

Mayor Mare (with Pinkie’s help) had just gotten the final book put back onto the shelves and sent Pinkie Pie off to the filing room when she heard a noise. It was a small noise, repeated in a quiet tune, sounding a little like the children had found a record player and were playing one of Trixie’s stored records, which was just fine by her. At least they would not be breaking her brand new office, which was the important thing. She settled down in the custom-built chair, took a sip of her coffee, and prepared to mayor.

Mayoring always started with the crosswords, then onwards to the cryptoquote. The comics, of course, came right after the stock reports, then to the criminal blotter, which always remained blank. She was just trying to figure out what a ten letter word for ‘not literally’ was when the music outside the door swelled in volume and Featherweight came flying in through the doorway with an evil laugh.

Well, a somewhat malicious laugh.

Despite a long black cape and a dark helmet that had to nearly block the vision of the little colt, he managed to fly up to the ceiling of her office, still cackling with glee, and commanded, “Surrender, Mayor Mare, to the forces of Dark Feather.”

~ ~ ~ ‡ ~ ~ ~

…Previously, in the Hall of Justice (Also known as the City Hall atrium)

Trixie’s crate labelled ‘Costumes and Props’ had been nearly emptied by the time the inevitable question came up about sides, which of course, was raised by Apple Bloom.

“We can’t all be super heroic.” Apple Bloom held up her glittering golden cape, which had been shorted by Snips until it only covered her like a small tent. “We need a supervillain to fight. Anypony want to volunteer?”

“Pass,” declared Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara almost simultaneously.

Sweetie Belle frowned while holding up the glittering piece of headgear she had found and bent until it fit her smaller head. “Supervillains don’t sound very nice.”

Featherweight gasped. “Are you kidding? They get the best costumes, and a lair, and set up deathtraps for the heroes. And then they get to laugh maniacally while the heroes escape. I’ve been practicing.” He threw back his head and let out an evil cackle only slightly more threatening than an ill rooster.

“Need a minion,” said Monster very carefully.

“Oh, yeah.” He flapped over to Monster and grinned. “You wanna be my minion? I’ll let you throw the lever to the hideous deathtraps that we set up for the heroes.”

She thought about it for a short while. “When we lose, we switch?”

Twist looked up from her work taping together several of the smaller props into a ‘deaf beam’ of some sort, or at least that was what it was labeled. “That could work. Then we get to be both heroeth and thupervillainth.”

~ ~ ~ ‡ ~ ~ ~

…We now return to our program, already in progress

“Surrender, Mayor Mare, to the forces of Dark Feather.”

The mayor looked up at the little hovering pegasus. “You said that already.”

There was a small noise down by the doorway and the mayor looked down to see Twilight, wearing an oversized cape of her own and a headband that read ‘Minion #21 - Hench 4 Life.’ She actually looked deathly embarrassed, but in a nice way, and she was dragging along an object covered in an embroidered towel that read ‘Property of the Royal Castle.’ Twilight looked back up at her and a little to one side, gave a sheepish smile of a sort, and remained almost perfectly still.

“Oh, yes.” ‘Dark Feather’ pointed. “And my faithful minion, Minion.”

“Hi.”

Featherweight threw back his head and gave out another ‘terrifying’ laugh, spoiled only by the way his helmet shifted forward and made his hovering above the desk into more of a random fluttering around the room. “We’ve come to take over the world. Buahahahahahaha!” After a brief peek out from under the helmet at the annoyed glance Twilight was bestowing on him for wandering off-script, he added, “Oh, yeah. And Ponyville.”

The mayor considered her position. “You know, for five bits, I think I’d let you.”

The little alicorn began to dig around under the towel she was carrying.

The mayor gave serious thought to a second career, although five bits would not even buy her a train ticket to the Okefrognokee swamp, let alone an alligator to wrestle when she got there.

“Behold, our Devious Death Ray!” called out Featherweight from above. “Hey, that’s not our death ray. Where’s the death ray? I think we got all the foil to stick on it this time, and the glue should have dried by now.”

“Don’t need.” The little alicorn scrambled up into a chair and pushed a bundle of papers across the mayor’s brand new oak desk. “Not mayor.”

“What?” Mayor Mare leafed through the stack of papers detailing the vote count of the last election, certified and validated in every detail. Well, technically her office assistant had made a copy and shipped it to the Canterlot Archives before the Town Hall and the originals were destroyed, then the Archives had made a copy and shipped them back here, but it was almost as clear as the originals, right down to her signature and notary stamp.

Uh-oh.

Twilight picked a gold-leafed quill off of the desk and pointed at the signature. “Vote count from last election. You ran. Can’t sign. Illegal.”

“You broke the law?” asked Featherweight with a gasp. “Does this mean you’re an evil supervillain who took over the town ahead of us?”

“No,” said Twilight before the mayor could respond. “Mistake. Vote is an invalid.”

“In. Val. Id,” said Mayor Mare carefully. “Well, Spoiled Milk was at home with the flu, and I’m so used to notarizing things when she’s out… I may have gotten carried away.” She looked down at the traitorous paper and let out a sigh. “I suppose this means Pinkie Pie as the runner-up—”

“No.” Twilight slid another sheet of paper out from under the towel. “I asked JB while they were making costumes. He wrote an opinion. Grace period is over. Law says town needs a new election. Town Council appoints temporary mayor, so we kidnapped their children.”

Mayor Mare eyed the paper carefully as if it were about to explode. It was a little relieving to not have ‘Mayor Pie’ for a few weeks until a new election, but she was still worried about one word. “Kidnapped?”

Featherweight stuck out his chest and drifted backwards with every flap until he bumped into a wall. “We invited all of their children to a party over at Sugarcube Corner. A party of Doooom,” he finished with an evil cackle.

“And cake,” said the little alicorn as she pulled a small plate with a small piece of cake on it from under the towel. “We saved you a piece.”

“Don’t do it, Madam Mayor,” sounded Sweetie Belle’s voice from behind the door.

“Oh, no!” gasped Featherweight as he fluttered to a wobbly hover near the center of the room. “It’s the Guardians of Harmony!”

There was a fairly long pause, marked only by Featherweight trying to adjust his helmet before he repeated, “I said, it’s the Guardians of Harmony!”

“Hold on, hold on,” repeated Sweetie Belle. “Scootaloo… I mean Rainstorm got her cape tangled up in a chair. We’ll be in to engage you in an epic battle in just a minute.” The sounds of untangling continued for a while outside the door until Sweetie Belle added, “Did you tie her up like you were supposed to?”

Featherweight floated closer to the un-mayor, then fluttered backwards a little at the resulting sharp look from Her Honor. “I don’t think that’s a good idea, Radiant. Can’t we just say we shot her with a paralysis beam?”

“Well, hurry up or we won’t have time to capture an’ save her more than three or four times before lunch,” huffed Apple Bloom.

~ ~ ~ ‡ ~ ~ ~

…Later, at the Hall of Injustice

“Busted,” muttered the former Dark Feather as the atrium door slammed behind them like a jail cell. He flounced forward and collapsed on a pile of comic books with his helmet clattering onto the floor. “What is a cooo, anyway?”

“It’s a coup,” said Sweetie Belle, trying to get some of the glittery symbols wiped off her legs. “It’s when some really bad ponies overthrow the existing government and throw them into prison for years and years.”

“It’s just an hour,” said Apple Bloom. “An’ all the rest of ‘em got pro… prob…”

“Probation,” said Sweetie Belle. “Reduced sentence as accessories because they didn’t run screaming around her desk like madponies.”

“Not mad,” said Monster. “Just upset. Was a good plan. Cheater.” Monster set her shoulders and hunched over, trying her best to be grumpy and sad at her betrayal at the hooves of authority, but failing badly as a giggle worked its evil way up through her layers of depression. “Featherweight looked silly. He fell off the ceiling laughing when Apple Bloom… I mean Apple Zoom tied herself up in her own rope.”

“When I become an Evil Overlord, all of my minions will have helmets the proper size,” declared Featherweight, who had sat his helmet on the wooden floor of the atrium and climbed up on it like a soapbox. “My Rain of Terror will be absolute. And there will be no cake for cheaters, particularly mayor supervillains.”

“Some reign,” scoffed Diamond Tiara, who had been found guilty by association and thrown in with the rest of the primary conspirators while Scootaloo (in her body) had been unfairly pardoned in order to go to the party at Sugarcube Corner. “It’s barely a drizzle. This morning’s a total bust. We didn’t even get any flying practice in.”

“Hm.” Featherweight looked around the Town Hall atrium, taking in the large space and the conveniently odd-sized boxes. “In the movies, they always have a mount tage where all the heroes learn their cool skills in about two minutes. We’ve got an hour, so that should be plenty of time.”

“It’s called a montage, Featherbrain,” scoffed Diamond Tiara. “Besides, we’d need music.”

“Got it,” said Twist. She opened up the record player and started winding it. “Thince the wing flapping thing is four phaseth, we thould thee if we can find any of Trixthie’s muthic in four-four time.”

All of Trixie’s records had garish covers with screaming ponies holding burning guitars or wearing all kinds of metal piercings including shiny studs in places that looked quite painful to Monster. However, there was one album which did not match the rest. The album cover had five hairy ponies with pirate hats and pirate clothes posed holding mugs of cider in front of a massive skull and crossbones flag, but if that was not enough to identify the musicians as pirates, it also said ‘Pirates Forevermore’ across the top in huge letters.

To Monster’s pleasant surprise, the singers held such a catchy beat with their music that she found it actually somewhat natural to move her wings in the requisite four-stroke pattern for powered flight, although all it seemed to do for Monster and Diamond Tiara was to allow them to stretch their glide across the wood flooring of the atrium. Neither of them climbed any further than just two crates high before jumping, but it was great fun, particularly while singing along with the record, and their hour of imprisonment fairly flew by.

Well, glided.

~ ~ ~ ~

…Nearly Noon, at the Fancy Restaurant in Ponyville

Applejack took a sip out of her teacup and tried to relax, obviously fighting an urge to dash out of town and back to the farm where the apples still hung heavily in far too many trees. Rarity, however, took her seat on the other side of the table with a certain existential grace indicating her desire to remain there forever, as if absorbing the relative peace of the small town and the pleasure of pre-lunch tea with a good friend were the sole reason for her existence.

“It’s too quiet,” grumbled Applejack, nabbing one of the chocolate biscuits and chewing with a suspicious glare around the town. “The Crusaders ain’t burnt nothing down or blown nothing up in days. Weeks, even. Lemons,” she muttered with the biting snap of an older sister seemingly grateful for a change that her little sister did not get a cutie mark on their last scheme

“I scarcely think that a reason for despair,” said Rarity, slipping an extra biscuit when Applejack looked away. “Perhaps young Twilight is proving a calming influence upon our fractious siblings. Sweetie says they helped sort books at the library while Trixie is away at the ‘spa,’ so maybe their extra energy is being put to good use.”

“Right.” Applejack gnawed on another cookie while waiting for Armageddon. “Did Sweetie say anything about what else they’ve been up to?”

“Searching for a spellbook to do something with Diamond Tiara and Scootaloo, or at least that is what the two of them said they were doing this morning. They seemed quite insistent, and even went through my entire library on their quest.” Rarity took a sip of tea and frowned slightly. “When I last checked, they were over at the Town Hall looking through some of Trixie’s things, in particular, her music collection.”

“Well, that oughta be safer than spells,” grumbled Applejack. She dropped a half-dozen sugar cubes into her cup of tea and stirred while waiting for the resultant sludge to dissolve. “That Twilight sure is an odd duck, but she fits with Trixie like… another duck or something.”

“Perchance our little duck is gaining responsibility on her way to grow into a beautiful swan,” said Rarity with a gleam in her eye indicating that the swan in question would certainly have a worthwhile wardrobe. “Twilight has been very careful about keeping Sweetie away from any dangerous magic, and she promised to have more adult supervision on any other spells she might try, so they should be fairly safe. Well, relatively.” With an additional sip of tea, Rarity’s smile grew. “Our darling little Twilight is proving to be quite the responsible one of the bunch.”

“It ain’t really Twilight I’m worried about,” said Applejack with a guilty glance at the distant Town Hall. “You saw the crater Trixie left. ‘Tweren’t even no stage left when she was done. She oughta have better control since she was Princess Celestia’s student for well nigh onto ten years or more, plum back to the day we got our cutie marks, but I worry about her here now, all cut off from her previous life. Ah know she can be a right nuisance sometimes… well, most of the time, but she’s all alone in that library ‘cept for Spike an’ I don’t think that’s the right way to treat our friend.”

Rarity took a long sip of her tea. “As much as I want to disagree with you, Applejack, you certainly have a point. But consider this. How many times has our ‘friend’ been out to your house for a meal in the last month?”

“Well…” Applejack took off her hat to scratch the top of her head. “Five or six, I suppose, but she always does a few chores to help out. I hear she an’ Spike has been out to Fluttershy’s for lunch regularly like too, once or twice a week. Says she’s thinking about getting Spike a pet, but I think she’s just mooching a free meal. An’ Big Mac has been meeting her down at the Hayburger weekly for lunch with the Ponytones. Says she can carry a tune pretty fair now.”

“I had a little talk with Spikey-Wikey,” said Rarity while waving a chocolate biscuit for emphasis. “He says Trixie hasn’t had a meal in the library other than an occasional pancake for breakfast since they got here.”

“Well, of course not,” snorted Applejack. “Her stipend from Princess Celestia is all going to rebuild Town Hall, an’ she ain’t got no more bits. Ah keep her apple basket stocked at the library for snacks, but if’n she wants to eat, she has to go out…”

Applejack trailed off and Rarity picked up the conversation. “Has to hang out with her friends. Her new and only friends.” Over at the distant Town Hall, a small group of chattering friends was just tumbling out of the front doors, and Rarity pointed at the small fleck of purple in the riot of colors. “Twilight Sparkle is not the only new pony in this town who is getting used to having friends. From what the grapevine says, Trixie has never been close to anypony ever since she became Celestia’s student.”

“An’ now she’s dead broke, so she has to depend on her friends to keep from starvin’.” Applejack huffed and crossed her forelegs. “Ah don’t care if it’s workin’ because that just stinks. Ya’ think Celestia’s behind this?”

“Just because I designed a few dresses for Her Highness, does not mean I understand her thought process,” protested Rarity. “I’m sure Princess Celestia would never be caught being so deceptive, even if it gets her reclusive student to spend time with us.”

The flutter of wings from above preceded Rainbow Dash’s arrival and quick capture of the majority of the chocolate biscuits on the table, followed by an odd double-thump of two rumps landing in the two remaining empty chairs. Spike seemed content to simply clutch onto the table with all the strength he was able to muster after his dramatic trip through Ponyville, but Rainbow Dash scarfed down a hooffull of cookies in a spray of crumbs before asking, “So what’s this I hear about you buying Trixie a week’s stay at some hoity-toity resort, Rarity?”

“You ain’t talkin’ about my cousin Rootworm’s old turnip farm with all them nature-lovin’ weirdos on it, are you?” asked Applejack. “The one that a certain dress-making fancy pony visited last year and came back looking like she’d slept in our barn all week?”

“They are not weirdos,” protested Rarity. “They’re very down to the soil earth ponies who have a… different view on the world, which is reflected in their fine — although disgusting to manufacture — line of beauty products.” She held out a hoof, which gleamed in the noon sunlight. “Beauty often requires great sacrifices.”

“An’ you went an’ snacrificed a sissified city pony to the world of whole-bran muffins and natural remedies,” said Applejack with a snort. “Serves you right if’n she comes back with a straw hat an’ talking all country-like.”


“Hardly,” scoffed Rarity. “I’m quite certain the pony we get back from Flax and Wheat’s delightfully rustic retreat will be indistinguishable from the annoying one we sent there.”

~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~

Trixie Lulamoon sank lower into the old bathtub that the ‘spa’ had dragged over to the ‘Goops All-Natural Dyes’ workshop and grumbled at the cold water soaking into her violet coat. “I blame Celestia,” she muttered. “Just drop the blue dye into the tub, Oz. The sooner I get back to my natural color, the better.”

“Are you sure?” The young multicolored unicorn checked her sides where the test strips had been dyed in, detailing most of the different colors available from the rustic nature center’s mobile catalog. “Mum never has tested what happens when you mix two of our dyes.”

“The new one covers the old one,” huffed Trixie. “Just put the dye in the tub and don’t worry about it. I know what I’m doing.”

Trixie sagged down into the chilly water with only the tip of her nose sticking out into the warm fall air as the bubbles from the dye packet began to tickle her back. It was actually a little relaxing, although she would not admit it, and most certainly would have said something if she had noticed the way her coat began to change colors into a very vivid orange under the natural chemical treatment.

~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~

“I don’t think you’re all being fair to Trixie,” said Spike, standing up on his chair in order to see over the edge of the table. “She’s changed a lot since she’s been here. She’s never had any friends before other than me, and she’s never had a student for more than an hour or two. Sure, she’s egomaniacal and annoying and bossy and all kinds of other things, but I’ve never seen her worried about anypony other than herself, ever, until she came here.”

“Yeah, she’s cool,” said Rainbow Dash through a mouthful of cookie crumbs. “When I bought her lunch last time, she said she was going to talk me into teaching Twilight how to fly at the same time as Scootaloo, since they’re both about at the same stage of flying. They were both over at the Town Hall just now, jumping off of crates and practicing gliding to the sound of some music, so Trixie must have been giving them a few pointers ahead of time.”

Applejack grunted, looking across the town to the sprawling construction site where a number of small ponies were having a discussion at the entrance of the Town Hall, preparing to emerge for lunch after a suspiciously quiet morning of whatever they had been getting up to in there. “A unicorn teaching a pegasus and an alicorn how to fly. Don’t that beat all. Next thing you know, she’ll be teachin’ mah little sis how to buck apples.”

“Sweetie Belle’s magic has gotten much stronger ever since Trixie came to town,” said Rarity somewhat reluctantly. “We still don’t let her cook, but Green Grass said her scores showed an astonishing increase in both power and control since his last evaluation. Mother wants her to take the entrance examination for Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, but I’m a little unsure. I mean, just look at that.”

She gestured at the six distant little fillies… five little fillies and one colt who were getting lined up outside of Town Hall to start marching in their direction.

“She has so many friends here,” said Rarity with a hint of despair in her voice. “If she goes off to Canterlot, she’ll be so lonely, just like Trixie was. I offered to go with her and set up a store in town, but…” Rarity trailed off with a difficult swallow, as if she had tried to eat an entire cookie without anything to wash it down with.

“Yeah, I’ve thought about that every time I get ready to apply for the Wonderbolts,” admitted Rainbow Dash in a spray of crumbs around her most recent cookie. “When I go from the reserves to an active member, I’ll be in Cloudsdale every single day in training. I’m gonna miss you girls. And you too, Spike,” she added, rubbing Spike on the head.

“That is a problem for the future,” declared Rarity with a quick wipe of a napkin across her lips and one surreptitious dab at her eyes. “Right now, our darling little sisters are putting on a little parade on their way to Sugarcube Corner, and we should be supportive.” She added a quick brush of the napkin across Spike’s face to wipe off a few glittering crumbs as Applejack cocked her head and watched the little parade of six little ponies tromping and flapping in their direction.

“Can’t hear what they’re singin’ yet, but it sure does keep ‘em in step,” she admitted with grudging respect. “What kinda music collection does Trixie have, anyhow?”

Dismissing Spike’s muffled snort of derision with a waved hoof, Rarity sniffed. “Naturally, being the student of Princess Celestia, she should have only the most refined taste in culture, so it probably features Belching Bagpipes or some drivel like that. Now, every pony try to be supportive, and say something complimentary about the way Twilight and Scootaloo are keeping airborne, even if it is only a few hooves above the ground.”

Three ponies and one dragon kept polite smiles on as the procession approached, although as the song became audible, Applejack hissed between her teeth, “Rarity!”

“Hush, darling,” she hissed back, not moving her lips. “Be supportive.”

It was considerably more difficult to do so as the words the six little ponies were singing became clear.

♫ I want to be a trollop, a harlot or a whore
I want to be a jezebel, a floozy and what’s more
I was meant to be a strumpet, I’m just a tramp at heart
So I’m here to be a prostitute, a hooker or a tart. ♫
(From the Jolly Rogers - The Oldest Profession)

“Hi, Rarity!” chirped Sweetie Belle as the organized small parade broke up into a sudden rush for the last few chocolate biscuits on the table before Rainbow Dash could finish them off. “Did you see how Twilight and Scootaloo— that is Diamond Tiara was flying?”

“That’s nice, Sweetie,” said Rarity without breaking her smile one bit or even blinking.

“Come on, girls!” said Scootaloo, almost unintelligible from the cookies she had stuffed in her mouth. “We need to get to Sugarcube Corner before all of the cake is gone.”

“Last one there is a minion!” shouted Apple Bloom as she bolted away from the table, followed by the rest of the crowd at a full stampede. Even the little purple alicorn seemed caught up in the emotion and unfazed by being out in public. Well, at least with the prospect of cake in the future as she galloped along near the back of the swarm when they vanished off in the direction of Sugarcube Corner.

“That’s pretty good,” said Rainbow Dash. “Did you see the way Scootaloo was using her wingstrokes back there? It won’t be long before she’s cutting through the sky just like me. Only slower, of course.”

“That—” Applejack stopped abruptly and peered closely at Rarity, who appeared to have stopped breathing, although the muscles in her jaw were still working, and a faint grinding noise came from her direction.

“I think she’s broken,” said Spike, waving a claw in front of Rarity’s face. “Should I get some cold water?”

“I’m fine,” said Rarity, still locked in her rigid position with her grin turning into a rictus of sheer determination with her efforts not to scream.

“So, were those dirty words or something?” asked Rainbow Dash, wiping the crumbs off her face with the back of one hoof.

“You could say that,” said Applejack. After a deep breath, she added, “Ah so want to tan their hides for this, ‘cept that wouldn’t be right. Besides, they’re gonna be red as apples once they learn what all them words mean.”

Rarity took a short breath, followed by a much longer breath, then breathed in and held it for a while before leaving it out in one loooong sigh. “Very correct, Rarity. You need to calm down. Sweetie Belle is a young innocent who did not know what she was singing. Once Spikey-Wikey shows them the words in the dictionary, they will all know just how foolish they looked trotting through town singing that bawdy song.” The slightest meaningful look at Spike caused the little dragon to launch out of his seat and go dashing off for the library and the aforementioned dictionary.

After another deep breath, she continued, still staring off into the air in an unfocused fashion. “Sweetie Belle did not know what she was singing, so she does not need to be punished for this. You should be kind and loving to your little sister. Understanding. Forgiving. It was not her fault, Rarity.”

She turned and directed a beatific smile in Applejack’s direction. “Darling, Trixie should be back in Ponyville tomorrow morning. Can I borrow a shovel?”

Momentarily set aback, Applejack looked to Rainbow Dash for support, which was met by a shrug and the pegasus adding, “I can help dig if you need me to, Rarity.”

“Good.” Rarity’s smile gained a few exposed teeth. “We’re going to bury her record collection this afternoon.”

Author's Note:

What, you didn’t think… No! Rarity would never do that to Trixie. By herself. That’s why you have friends.

The Oldest Profession is from the Jolly Rogers album, Pirates Evermore, what I consider to be their best album, ever. In particular, check out Piece by Piece, which occupies the narrow category of Christian Pirate song, and catch the Jolly Rogers at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival every year. You can also catch them on Facebook, which is where all good pirates hang out. Seriously, spend a few doubloons on some good clean fun. And look at Track 14, if you want a sneak peek at the next arc.

PreviousChapters Next