• Published 4th Aug 2013
  • 2,593 Views, 6 Comments

Pony POV Series- Reharmonized Celestia: Feared AND Loved - Godzillawolf



Sequel to Pony POV-Discorded Celestia: Not Loved. Discord has been beaten, his tyranny is over. Now Equestria and its citizens can begin to heal...But what about the pony they all look to for strength? How do you heal what you can't show is hurt

  • ...
0
 6
 2,593

Feared and Loved

Reharmonized Ponies

Feared AND Loved

Warning! Spoilers for the Pony POV Series!

Optional Canon

By Kendell2


Welcome, little ponies. I understand you are here to interview me about recent events. It is good to meet you…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Why is she looking at us like that?)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Just roll with it…)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): Princess Celestia, it’s nice to meet you too!)

Hehe…It’s good to meet you too, little one, you remind me of Twilight when she was a foal…Forgive me if I seem a bit stressed, the tabloids have been asking me questions nonstop the moment Discord’s defeat was made known. I’m used to such things (often they are entertaining to be honest) but things are rather personal between me and Discord and that fact makes this unusually stressful for me.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): We understand, Princess…)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Princess Celestia, just so our readers can know without a shadow of a doubt, why wasn’t Discord simply executed instead of kept prisoner when he was originally defeated? I just want to clear up that little mess once and for all, for your sake.)

I appreciate that, but those who wish to see me as incompetent will always do so, no matter what I say. Discord was not executed because any attempt to do so would release him…Believe me when I say, you do not want to know what I mean by that. I wish I didn’t. We’re still trying to figure out a way to properly dispose of his statue. The course of action most seem in favor of is ‘teleport it to the planet’s core for eternity.’

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Thank you, Princess…Moving on, I know it’s difficult for you but…can you tell us of your experiences after the Bearers defeated Discord?)

I awakened in my room, practically pinned against the wall by several dozen of my own subjects. I know this will be hard to believe, but I remained like that until Luna came and began removing them. I knew what I had done to every last one of them. I had hurt them all enough as it was…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Do you feel guilty?)

Not to sound heartless, but no…I know Discord’s mind control, I saw enough of it in his first reign to know how it works like the front of my hoof. He wants his victims to think it’s what they want, that he just let it out. And while I did want to be a filly, I didn’t want to harm my subjects. While I care for everypony I hurt…I am not guilty for something I was made to do. Neither are any of his victims. He wants them to be guilty, to hurt, to tear themselves apart for what they would have never done if he hadn’t made them do it. If they saw me blaming myself, they would blame themselves.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn):…Is that why you’re saying you don’t feel guilty? Because if you do, then so will they?)

No, of course not…Let’s move on, shall we?


“Celly!” called my dear sister as I finally emerged. I gave her a nuzzle and hugged her with my wings. This was the second happiest I’d ever been to see her safe and happy.

“Lulu, are you ok? What did that monster do to you?”

Luna gave a sigh. I could see a different kind of pain in her eyes. “Nothing; he felt it would be more amusing to have an audience to his chaos…and my purification still hath rendered me immune to his powers…That tis not important, what tis is that Discord is back in his stone prison where he doth belong.”

I looked uneasily around our surrounding. The castle was back to normal. Outside of the physical damages caused by various games of Discord’s, there was hardly a sign his brief reign had ever transpired. I couldn’t believe it.

“Sister…how did this happen?” I finally asked. I did my best to hide my surprise Discord had been beaten at all. He’d broken five of the bearers…he’d broken me. And yet, for all intents and purposes, it appeared he was defeated. I’d even felt the Rainbow of Light’s power wash over everything. So what had happened?

Luna chuckled with a smile. “Why your faithful student hath vanquished Discord, sister. All it took was my mailing her back all the friendship lessons she’s been sending you.”

Luna and I needed to retreat into my study for a few moments after that so I could allow myself to shed tears of pride. My sister had played a role in saving the world. My student and her friends had defeated Discord in a few days…it had taken me and Luna a thousand years to do the same. And to do so, they would have had to undo his Discordings, on their own, without the knowledge of a god. What reason didn’t I have to be proud of them all?

With the kitchen staff in no condition to cook, Luna tried cooking the castle’s supply of instant noodles. I am unsure if it was simply her lack of skill in that department or the fact she still hadn’t completely mastered modern kitchen equipment (I still remember the microwave), but that resulted in a literal mountain of burnt noodles (a dragon ambassador appreciated them).

I will admit if there’s one benefit of this whole situation, it’s that I was able to enjoy bean burgers. High class food has its perks, but it felt strangely pleasant to eat greasy fast food without a care in the world…It made me feel closer to my little ponies having a chance to eat commoner food for once.

I just wish my nephew would come out of his room…He’s terrified of me. He believes I wish to harm him…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Princess…Discord hurt you didn’t he?)

Is it so obvious?

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): No, you are good at hiding it, we just happen to be more observant than most ponies.)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): And if there’s one thing we know, Princess, it’s that hiding a hurt simply makes it grow bigger.)

That is very wise of you…Yes, Discord has hurt me. For the first time in a thousand years…I truly doubt my little ponies love me. I’ve always felt more alienated from them than I should have…but now it’s as if there’s a wall between me and them. And I can’t tell how much of what he said was a lie and how much was truth. I believe that is what hurts the most; I’m not sure I will ever know the complete truth. I’ll never know if they truly fear me as much as he said they do. And that is the most painful thing. I’m sure Discord knew that when he did it.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): We’re not afraid of you, Princess.)

…Thank you for the hug, little one. I needed that.


Oh…hello again. I did was not expecting you today…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): We get that a lot.)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): Are you ok, Princess?)

Yes, as well as can be expected. I believe I have just had the most unpleasant meeting with Twilight I have ever had.

I received a letter from Spike telling me that Twilight was having a meltdown of some kind. But I never in a million years expected to find the entire town fighting over the Smartypants doll she’s had since she was a foal. I simply broke the Want It, Need It Spell and let the ponies leave in peace. That was the easy part…

The difficult part was staring down at my faithful student, the one mortal pony in such a long time I had always believed cared for me, and seeing the fear in her eyes. The fear of me. As angry with her as I was, that sight still hurt. I told her to get to the library.

“B-but I’m supposed to send you a letter about friendship every week! I missed the deadline! I’m a bad student…I’m tardy!”

I do not believe I have ever seen my student more miserable than she seemed in that moment. She did this all out of fear of disappointing me. Of missing a deadline I myself had set. No, I did not regret setting the deadline…Alicorns cannot feel regret. I can feel guilt, but I cannot wish my transgression never was. I cannot wish I could do something different, it is a simple impossibility…It frustrates me, as it is another thing that separates me from my subjects, but given a Concept’s true nature, I understand why it is something we cannot afford to be capable of.

“You are a wonderful student, Twilight. I don’t need to get a letter from you every week to know that.”

“Really?”

Her friends would then rush in and beg with me not to take Twilight away from them…Yes; it hurt to know they were as afraid of me as she was. I simply rolled with it and extended the assignment to all of them, removing the deadline completely.

Discord was right, Twilight does fear me. The mortal pony I thought loved me the most is afraid of me. Her friends do as well. My subjects fear me…just like he said.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Princess Celestia, with all due respect, I don’t think her friends fear you.)

…What do you mean?

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Did they ever once say they were afraid of you?)

…No, they did not…They were afraid I would take Twilight away from them.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): And why was that?)

…Because they believed it was their fault she was in trouble with me. Because they’d ignored her when she tried to tell them her fears and get their help.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): Princess, they weren’t scared of you, they were scared of losing Twilight because of them. They were afraid they messed up and were going to lose their best friend because of it.)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Princess, I am REALLY sorry to ask this, but how did you feel after you sealed Luna?)

…I felt terrible. I felt like I’d torn off a part of myself. I knew that it was partly my fault. That I had ignored all the warning signs, that I’d seen she was hurt but did nothing to help her. I couldn’t WISH I’d helped her. I may not be able to feel regret, but I can feel guilt. I turned to guilty eating and…well…you may have read in the history books of ‘the Century of the Chubby Celly.’ It is not easy for an Alicorn to become obese, but I managed it simply out of guilt. For an entire century. It would have been easier to turn to drinking if I didn’t have to drink an entire liquor store just to get mildly intoxicated.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): I know regret is something you can’t feel…but if you’d been given one last chance to stop Luna from becoming Nightmare Moon, what would you have done?)

…I’d have gotten on my knees and begged and pleaded for my sister to not become a mad goddess for my mistakes. I’d have…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Done exactly what Twilight’s friends did for her?)

Yes, indeed…Thank you, my interviewers, I think you are right. It was not me that her friends feared; it was the thought of losing her and her paying the price for their own mistakes. The same thing that caused my guilt after I had to banish Luna to the moon.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): And were willing to stand up to you for her sake, don’t forget that.)

Indeed, you’re right. Even if they do fear me…they love their friend more. I am proud of-

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Let it be known that Twilight and her friend’s friendship report just arrived.)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Mind reading it out loud, Princess Celestia?)

“‘Dear Princess Celestia, we’re writing to you today because we all learned something about friendship. We learned that you should take your friend’s worries seriously. Even if you don’t think that she has anything to worry about. And that you shouldn’t let your worries turn a small problem into an…enormously huge entire-town-in-total-chaos Princess-has-to-come-and-save-the-day problem…”

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Well, that last part was definitely Pinkie Pie.)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): See, Princess? They didn’t share Twilight’s fear, they weren’t worried Twilight missing a report would get her taken away, they were afraid that they’d lost their best friend because their neglect turned a problem that wasn’t a huge concern into a disaster she would get punished for.)

It does seem they were more worried about Twilight being punished for a problem they caused than fear I was a tyrant who would punish her for something as simple as a missed assignment.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Still think they’re afraid of you?)

No, I don’t think I do. At least not as much as I used to.

(Interviewer’s Note (Pegasus): And Twilight?)

…I am still uncertain how I feel about that. It hurts me to say, I don’t think right now I can be certain she doesn’t fear me.

Please excuse me, my interviewers. I am grateful for your assistance, but Equestria wasn’t built in a day. My sister still needs assistance adapting to the Night Court after her thousand year banishment.

…However, you three seem to be good at understanding and helping ponies, aren’t you?

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): It’s kind of our job to be.)

In that case would you mind helping a few ponies for me? Their jobs are to help others, now they need help.


Happy Nightmare Night, my interviewers…shouldn’t the filly be enjoying the festivities?

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Unfortunately, she has to stick with us. Don’t worry; she got some trick or treating earlier.)

I see. Did you enjoy it, little one?

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): Yeah!-It-was-fun!-I-ate-lots-and-lots-and-lots-and-lots-of-candy!)

Hehe, I can see that little one. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Hey! Stop running up the walls! Only Pinkie is supposed to take metaphors literally!)

I only hope my sister is enjoying her time in Ponyville. She has actually been adjusting a bit better than I expected, staring in some plays…Still, I wish her luck. If ponies fear me despite their opinion of me, she has her work cut out for her.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): We were hoping you’d overcome that fear, Princess.)

Sadly, only partially. I’m recovering, but it’s taking awhile. And my fear for Luna is not entirely without base. I told her to go in a cat pony costume…she chose to take Tirek’s chariot with her Night Guard who we are still introducing to the public. And wore a cloak.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Well, that isn’t that bad.)

The cloak is made of living bats.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus):…I’m not sure how that’s physically possible…)

It is when you’re the personification of the Night itself; I’ve done it with sunbirds before. Both species are quite happy to please us, it’s just…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Not exactly the thing you want to wear trying to reconnect to ponies who created a holiday out of fear of your Nightmare form?)

Exactly. I think she completely ignored all my attempts to change her mind. Oh well, I supposed I will simply pray to Our Parents things go smoothly. Yes, my Interviewers, even the goddesses have Someone to pray to, I don’t think I’d have had any piece of mind the last thousand years if I didn’t…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Speaking of piece of mind, how’s yours doing?)

Not as well as I hoped. I’ve had my fair share of nightmares over the past 1000 years, most of which stemming from the fear that without my sister, I would eventually suffer the same fate she did. But I have recently had others…Ones where I become a different Nightmare born from wanting to be no longer be feared. I know those nightmares are even less likely than the others, as I know full well becoming a Nightmare would make me truly feared. And I know it is foolish of me to think this way, but we all have things we fear.

In many ways, the way my mind works is alien to that of mortals. I am the Day, I do not simply rule it, and what that means is something a mortal mind can never understand. But in other ways, I am very much like mortals. I have fears, I have hopes, I have dreams. I can feel joy at many of the same things they can. And for every one of those things, I’m grateful. But that does not mean my fears are not easier to deal with.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): We all have things we’re afraid of, all of us.)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): Yeah!-I’m-afraid-of-snakes!-Really-afraid -of-snakes!-I-mean-REALLY-afraid! Hey-I-should-have-gone-as-a-snake-tonight!)

But ponies can’t see me afraid. They can’t see me be guilty…The point is, I’m not allowed to wear my feelings out in the open, to see help for them. No matter how much I want to…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): But they don‘t always have to see you, aren‘t there other ways you could seek guidance?)

…Yes…I see your point…I do have a number of guises I could us-Oh, a friendship report?…Wait…I…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Read it out loud, Princess.)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): Yeah!-Read-it!-Read-it!-Read-it!)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): How did you even get on the chandelier?!)

‘D-Dear Princess Celestia,

When you first sent me to Ponyville, I didn’t know anything about friendship. I met somepony tonight who was having the same problem - your sister, Princess Luna…She…She taught me that one of the best things you can do with friendship is to give it to others, and help them find it themselves…And I’m…I’m happy to report that all of Ponyville has learned that even though somepony seems a little intimidating, even scary, when you…when you offer them your friendship, you’ll discover a whole new pony underneath…’

They…they liked Luna…they were afraid but…they liked her…I…I’m sorry, it’s just…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorns): We can take a break while you compose yourself if you want to.)

No, no…that’s fine…I just wasn’t expecting this…I hoped but I never thought it might happen.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): Luna’s-scarier-than-you-um-no-offense!)

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Stop running on the ceiling!)

Hehe…None taken. Luna’s tastes are quire frightening indeed…But you’re right, maybe…maybe I’m looking at this wrong…Fear always said few understood Him…I think I need to think about this…and perhaps go see an old friend of mine about it…

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): …Thank the Princesses…she finally crashed…Look, we should probably go let her sleep off all the sugar…)

I understand…she’s quite adorable asleep, isn’t she? Well, thank you once again, my interviewers, you have helped me a great deal. Hehe, ‘And even if my Star Swirl the Bearded costume didn’t go over, this still turned out to be the best Nightmare Night ever’…I think it was, my faithful student…


Draco Island is a rather…unusual location. A large amount of the island is paradise as far as Dragons are concerned. Naturally, this means to most species it resembles Tartarus on Equestria. Live volcanoes and smoke clouds cover most of the island. Of course, Queen Tiamat is the political ruler of all dragons in addition to their Mother Goddess, so the few parts of the island that are favorable to non-dragons are reserved to greet diplomats and other visitors. There are also a few signs forbidding disposing of cursed rings in the island’s many volcanoes. I’m not sure if that’s a joke on Tiamat’s part or not.

I earned Tiamat’s respect long ago alongside Luna during our reign together. It was vital for securing the safety of our subjects and helping with stability. Tiamat may be willing to negotiate and civil, but she’s still the Goddess of All Dragons and earning her respect has gone a long way to establishing peace between dragon-kind and Equestria. I still needed to report my visit in advance, that is a simple diplomatic requirement, but I knew our mutual respect meant I had little to fear.

The two massive dragons serving as guards allow me to pass into her gigantic lair, an obsidian castle, or perhaps throne is a better term. I believe they guard her of their own accord, not on Tiamat’s orders. Tiamat fears nothing but Fear Himself and His Bride…and for the safety of her children. And unlike myself, she has little need to fear the damage she could cause protecting herself, I’ve seen her devour bombs like they’re candy.

As I enter her lair, the stench of brimstone and sulfur hits my nose, emitting from the lava pools dotting the outer reaches of the chamber. Tiamat sits in a pool of lava in the center, the glow of the magma illuminating her titanic form. One of her five titanic heads notices me and the other four join it instantly in looking at me, each eye several times larger than I am. Yes, it is a terrifying sight. I doubt that there are few beings on the planet more terrifying than Queen Tiamat to behold, but I have long since accepted her as an ally and a friend.

“Hello, Goddess-Queen Tiamat, Mother of All Dragons,” I announced, giving a respectful bow of my head. While our respect is mutual, this is her home and her lair, in her land. Tiamat has always been civil and polite with me, so why should I not return it?

“Greetings, Celestia, the 19th, Concept of the Sun,” the head who first noticed me spoke. All five of Tiamat’s heads have their own egos, they’re all able to think of their own accord. I’m not sure if they’re all attributes of one being or if they’re something akin to conjoined siblings, I’ve never bothered to ask. “It has been some time since we have had you in our midst.”

“To what do we owe the pleasure?” another head asked. When it came to important diplomatic visits, she typically had one head speak on behalf of all five for clarity sake, but she was more comfortable letting each head speak for itself, and our relationship was a tad less formal. I’m not sure if she uses ‘we’ to refer to her five heads or as the Royal We.

“I came to you hoping to ask you a question, not as rulers of species, but as allies and as a fellow goddesses,” I beseeched. Yes, Queen Tiamat and I were rulers of two peoples, but that did not mean we could not have a personal conversation with each other. Particularly since Tiamat had little interest in politics outside protecting her children. “And I hope…as a friends…”

Let it not be said dragons are heartless creatures. They are driven by desire, yes, but that does not mean they care only for themselves. To Tiamat and her kind: friends and loved ones are considered possessions. This is far from slavery or an abuser claiming they own their victim, that’s seeing it from a pony perspective. It is difficult to explain in terms that make sense to a pony at all. But if there’s one thing that can be understood about their love; it’s that they will do anything to protect their horde. If a dragon cares about you, they will go to the ends of the earth to keep you safe.

“You may ask, Celestia,” said yet another head, all five giving me their utmost attention. This was no longer political. We were safe from the public eye. This was now just the two of us talking as friends.

“Thank you…As you know, Discordance Apophis Typhon recently escaped from his prison and caused my little ponies a great deal of harm…”

Tiamat snarled in fury. “And many of our children as well,” she snarled. “I’ve sent Bahamut to once again check on all of them because of it.”

I had noticed Bahamut missing from his typical resting place atop Tiamat’s castle (where he normally stayed while visitors were present. Close enough to come to her aid if needed, far enough to not be bothered by the guests). Bahamut was Tiamat’s mate and while not quite as powerful as she was, was another Dragon God like her. The Hooviets were fortunate Tiamat had chosen not to have him accompany her to the battle. I don’t know him as well, as he seems more reclusive than his bride is and ponies know even less of him.

I give her an understanding nod. “Yes, I believe we are both happy he is sealed away. From the sound of it, he is not enjoying his fate.”

“I do not doubt it, for a Draconequi, a creature of chaos; there could be no worse fate…But let us not give that self entitled brat the attention he so desperately craves. Continue,” the central head stated.

I nodded in agreement. “Yes…While he was free…he told me something that troubles me. I suppose Morning Star has taught him well…He told me that my subjects fear me because I’m a goddess. Because of what I am. He let me hear all their thoughts…their fears…I know as a goddess, I should be above this…but…”

“As their mother, you want them to love you?”

“…Yes…I came to you because I don’t believe Luna has the answer I need either. I was hoping you would…How do you handle being feared by the ones you want to love you?”

She gave me a smile. Tiamat may have been the terrifying Mother of All Dragons, but she was still a mother. She could still be tender. She could be kind. “Celestia, Discordance was not lying, he was telling the truth…but as your brother taught him to, he twisted it to suit his own ends.”

This intrigued me. “Please explain…”

“Fear is not a one dimensional thing, like all Concepts, He has different aspects. Discordance was right that they fear you, but he made you believe it was a different aspect of fear than it truly is,” the central head explained.

“He made you believe they fear you in the sense that they are scared of you, that they see you as something to dread. This is not the kind of fear your little ponies have for you,” continued to the right.

“Children fear their mothers, but not because they dread them as most ponies dread my children. They fear their mother’s disappointment, her punishments, her disapproving gaze,” explained the far right head. “But they do not fear her.”

“This aspect of Fear is one of His ways of helping life grow. It is what teaches a child to obey when their elders tell them something is dangerous, when they are told not to do something for their own good. A child who learns from their mistakes is a blessing to their parent, but a child who listens to their parent avoids making the most costly of mistakes, letting them live long enough to make more minor ones,” stated the head to the left of the central one.

“Celestia, our children do love us. That love means they feel safe when we are protecting them. When we arrived on the battlefield during our war with the Hooviets, our children felt safe because we were there. But when we told our children Equestria was our ally, they would not have listened if they did not fear our rage if they disobeyed that our orders,” the left most head continued.

“A wise pony who is often times misquoted once said ‘it is best to be feared AND loved,’” the central head said. “Love means your children, or subjects, desire to please you because they desire your happiness. Fear means they desire not to displease you, not to earn your ire, your punishments. It means they obey you when you tell them not to do something for their own good. This is why being feared and loved is best: together, they give a leader the tools to rule with compassion and kindness, but still be harsh when the situation requires it. Tell me this, Celestia; does the fact you fear Your Parents’ anger mean you do not love Them?”

My Parents are Empathy and Wisdom Incarnate. They love all life. But yes, I do fear Them being displeased with me. They have punished me, rightfully so. I earned it. And I know why. They punished Lulu, and she became a better Alicorn for it.

“…No…it doesn’t…”

“Wanting your subjects to love you is natural, Celestia. The relationship of deities and mortals is a paradoxical one. We are above them, we are forces of creation who’s words shape existence…and yet, of all of us that feel anything towards life at all, only Discordance feels no obligation to helping life progress and grow. What do we receive in return from the mortals? Could we not have simply started the universe and allowed it to run its course? We receive nothing from them. Most of us don’t even receive their gratitude. But yet, in many ways, we exist to make their lives better. Is it not natural for us to desire them to love us for all we’ve done in nurturing them from the Big Bang onward?”

She was right. I remember my sister, Rota Fortuna, was always frustrated by how ponies viewed her concept as a controlling force, rather than a guiding one. That many blame her for their troubles when it was their own choices that guided their paths. Luna’s desire to be loved did not begin a thousand years ago…she’s always wanted to create a race of fully nocturnal ponies. I believe Luna’s mistake was believing any of us would disapprove of her desire to do so and always trying to find a way to do it without being seen. That’s part of the reason I told her she could make the Night Guard nocturnal this time around, so long as they knew it would happen. She was pleasantly surprised to find how many ponies would willingly become creatures of the night.

I slowly nodded. “You’re right…thank you, Tiamat…I needed that…”

“Any time, Celestia. You and Luna always have a place in our horde.”

Yes, that does sound somewhat disturbing to a pony‘s ears, but from a dragon, that was actually a rather touching statement.

“Can you stay for tea? I just received some new teacups from Strife for my birthday.”

Yes, I had tea and a friendly conversation with the five headed Mother of All Dragons. If you find that strange, then you should hear about my brother Mortis’ wedding. Ponythulhu was the ring bearer.

Most importantly, I’d gotten advice from a friend.


Hello again, I am sorry I kept delaying our meetings, things kept coming up.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Like Fluttershy going Nightmare and trying to take over the world?)

Yes, among other things.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): Other things? Like what?)


I spun out of the way of a pillar of demonic flame as my sister flew in and sent the towering behemoth staggering with a sphere of lunar energy. The creature was a gigantic ash colored titan. It’s head was covered in horns and spikes jutted from its body. Demonic fire surrounded its hooves and where a mane would be, as it’s eyes, mouth, and nostrils glowed like a furnace. And that’s only what mortals can see.

We’d gotten word that during Discord‘s reign, one of the horrors sealed behind the Gates of Tartarus had managed to get a foothold in the mind of an innocent pony while he had Cerberus‘ ball grow giant and play fetch with the poor dog. It was one of a race of interdimensional beings who eons ago had come to this reality to turn it into a place of eternal suffering out of spite and hatred at being cut off from their own. Their goal to dominate the minds of all beings in the universe and torture them for eternity being something that could not stand had been the one thing that Our Mother and Entropy have ever agreed on. While the Draconequi stood guard to keep them from fleeing, my siblings Rota Fortuna, Princeps, Imperatrix, and Justitia battled these beings and sealed them away in Tartarus.

With its new victim, this entity had begun a cult which ultimately performed a ritual to opened a Gate enough for it to slip through. The Guard was presently dealing with closing the Gate and capturing the cult. Given we are only facing one, I assume they’ve succeeded in their first objective.

“Die!” the behemoth shouted, sending streams of flame at us.

My sister and I form energy fields around our bodies, letting the intense flames wash past us and into the night sky. I was thankful this was far from an inhabited area (an ocean side forest to be exact). I’d been very careful to avoid allowing cities to build over top of Tartarus Gates.

“Sister, I thought Rota Fortuna said these creatures were far stronger than this!” Luna called as the scorching flames faded.

I feel the creature try to worm its way into my brain but the attempt is shattered before it can succeed. The two of us already took precautions to protect our subjects from such attacks during this battle. “That’s because they’ve been fading away for eons now. It’s likely there are only a few left that have not vanished into nothing. Which is all the more reason to end this quickly before it can regain strength!” Despite it’s weakened state, me and Luna both had received numerous third degree burns.

“You cannot destroy me! Your siblings could not and neither can you!” it roared, sending a wave of searing heat right at us. Luna countered with a powerful surge a lunar wind, the two forces struggling and canceling one another out.

I gave a smirk. “Yes, about that. Do you believe us Alicorns have been sitting on our laurels in the eons you’ve been imprisoned?” I asked. “NOW!” I fire a massive stream of solar flame, blasting it backwards. Right next to the ocean nearby.

Luna’s eyes glow as the tides under the control of her moon suddenly shift, sending a massive wave of water rising up behind the giant.

‘Father, I beseech You, bless us this day that we may defeat this evil. Bless this water to weaken that which threatens all Your children,’ I recite in my head. I briefly feel a wonderful, familiar Prescience as the wave crashes down on the invader, sending a surge of steam into the air along with a roar of pain. Its flames are briefly extinguished by the water blessed in My Father’s name. No, this is not a demon, but I’ll get to why holy water was effective in a moment.

On cue, a rain of arrows fly from the clouds surrounding us, embedding themselves in the horror’s chest.

It begins to laugh as the wooden shafts ignite from its heat and its flames reignite. “Arrows? You believe that arrows wou-” it suddenly gasps in pain and clutches its chest in agony. Cracks begin to spread out from its wounds, light pouring out as it falls to its knees in pain. My family had found these creatures’ weakness since we’d defeated them in the event that despite our best efforts they escaped, something this one found out far too late.

“FRIENDLY INCOMING!“ Luna announces, prompting the pegasus soldiers that had hidden among the clouds waiting to launch the arrow strike to retreat as far as possible.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): ‘Friendly Incoming?’)

Essentially a warning to take cover because they’re in the line of fire for an incoming attack.

Both our eyes glow bright as we channel massive amounts of our power into our horns. We cross our horns, the light at the center looking like an eclipse.

The beast’s eyes widen in shock as a devastating beam of yellow, white, blue, and purple light erupts from our crossed horns and engulfs it. With a roar of agony, its torn from its feet, the beam ripping its body to shreds. The invader’s form is consumed by a gigantic explosion and reduced to bits of flaming rubble raining down on the surroundings. No, I do not regret ending that wretched horror’s life. These are beings that we only spared because there was no way to kill them at the time. Our troopers already knew the hell on earth the being sought to create when this began.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): What was in those arrows anyway?)

The arrow heads themselves were forged by us, allowing them to harm the creature by being imbued with Alicorn magic (though our Troopers’ impeccable aim was an asset we could not have done without, I actually am not good at all with a crossbow). They were also covered in a few drops of Fluttershy and Fluttercruel’s blood each.

(Interviewer’s Notes (Pegasus): WHAT?!)

The secret we discovered was these beings were refusing to abide by the laws of the universe. As such, while they could be harmed by an Alicorn or a Draconequi, who are forces of creation, their bodies could not be destroyed by anything of this universe. But we found their weakness; Nature’s Law and Nature’s Fury combined. If injected with a mixture of the blood of an Alicorn and the blood of a Draconequus (or the kin there of), a body rejecting creation was being injected by both aspects of it. For as close a comparison as possible, they were deathly allergic to this mixture. In addition, contact with this ironically gave them a tether to the reality they so rejected, robbing them of the invulnerability that gave them and allowing them to be killed (though the injection would have killed it eventually, we would not prolong suffering more than needed). This was also why the holy water weakened it; Our Father is Existence itself, and thus anything blessed by Him is more effective on these entities who reject it.

Fluttershy’s…recent experiences and Fluttercruel’s parentage made their blood perfect, and thankfully they’d recently had a physical, giving us a sample to access quickly. In the future we can (and indeed have, just in case) make a combination of our own and Discord’s (we have our ways of extracting it from his statue), but time was of the essence and using their blood was the best and quickest option.

(Interviewer's Notes (Pegasus): Princess, they don't take blood during a routine physical.)

They do when we have sensed something strange in them and desire it to be very thorough. As my sister said, we sensed Fluttercruel long before she made herself known.

(Interviewer's Notes (Pegasus): And you kept it on hand to put on arrows to smite an ancient evil, why?)

You're quite smart, my little ponies. Admittedly a natural mix of the two's blood is a more effective mixture than an artificial one. If those creatures had escaped while we were with our siblings, we would have had Strife and Mortis' children donate blood. It's just they're still in a mortal body, so it's more practical to extract blood from myself, Luna, and Discord as a preparatory measure. But yes, admittedly, I did keep it on hoof in case this happened.

Landing among our troopers, we were met by a SAS platoon armed with double-barreled air shotguns (presently loaded with various non-lethal rubber pellets) and gas grenades, donned in camouflaged armor and gas masks. The Commander removed his helmet (which has a special horn covering for protection, the helmets were also all blessed to resist the creature‘s control) and gas mask.

“Commander Rapier, status report,” I request, allowing the burns I had sustained to regenerate under my already regrown fur, as was my sister. We’d made sure that much had healed before landing.

“Your Majesties, the operation was a complete success,” Rapier reported with a bow and a salute. “We infiltrated the compound and stopped the ritual directly after that creature was summoned, preventing another from escaping. We then subdued all hostiles with no fatalities on either side. While several troopers and hostiles were injured, our medics say they should be fine. It would also appear it was as you predicted; they were under the creature’s control and were freed when it was destroyed. While unharmed, they appear to have been traumatized by the experience.”

I gave a frown. I had been afraid of this. These creatures’ control leaves the victim feeling violated and forces them to do horrible things while they can do nothing but watch. It makes me sick. “Understood, Commander. I will see to it that they are given the best psychiatric care possible.”

“Yes, Princess Celestia…Permission to speak freely?“

“Permission granted.“

“Princesses, what was that thing?”

“A creature that looked on existence with envious and spiteful eyes and sought nothing but to take out its bitterness on all that lives,” my sister explained with venom in her tone. “But all that matters is it’s been destroyed and can no longer harm anyone.”

“We could not have done this without you, our little ponies, you should be proud of yourselves,” I announce, and meant every word. While four Alicorns defeated these invaders in the ancient past, they did so in the void of space. The amount of destruction that may have resulted from the remaining ones escaping and fighting myself and my sister in Equestria would have been impossible to fathom, not to mention the psychological damage they are capable of. With the Guard’s help; we were able to destroy it and close the portal before that could happen. “You are dismissed, Captain, mission completed.” My sister seconds my statement, prompting a cheer from the guards.

“You heard them, troops! Tonight’s drinks are on me!” Captain Squire announced. I would join him in a guise, after ensuring all the victims were getting psychological care.


(Interviewer’s Notes (Unicorn): Princess….Does that kind of thing…)

Happen frequently? Not quite, but often enough that we have protocol for it…What? You believed I relied on seven of my subjects to protect Equestria from every threat? While Discord and the Nightmares required the Elements to defeat, if the Guard or my sister and I can defeat a threat without them, I would rather not put Twilight and her friends in harms way. Which reminds me, I need to prepare for the passing of the Secretariat Comet next year…

Back to the point at hand, I hope you do not mind if I let the civilian’s narratives tell about Princess Gaia’s Day. I simply have another aspect of that situation I wish to relate to you, one that has given me a great deal of help.


I’m aware of how controversial my choices can be. I have my reasons for every single one of them, including my choice to reward Princess Gaia for the good she did. I think I’ll simply keep those private for now, because that is not what I want to speak of. Let it simply be known that my brief day playing with my subjects reverted to foals was wonderful and I enjoyed myself doing so.

As for Fluttercruel, the poor girl did nothing truly wrong. Good intentions simply backfired and she learned from it. I am proud to see her grow from a fragment of Discord’s evil into a wonderful mare. I’m still wondering how to portray her in the stained-glass window.

After I revealed my plans to use my Sunny Days identity to help Fluttershy to Twilight, she protected me. She was horrified by me doing this to myself…and it helped begin to shake loose the remains of my doubt that Nightmare Night and my visit with Queen Tiamat hadn’t already freed me from. And it made me desire something I have not had in a long time…not since Twilight was a little filly.

I asked Twilight to walk with me to the library. Twilight and Spike keep an impeccably clean home. I’d expect nothing less from them, but it still impresses me greatly to see a library that lacks a layer of dust on any of the books. I almost miss having the library in Canterlot this clean.

“What do you want to talk to me about, Princess?” asked Twilight, in a manner I’d missed greatly. The manner of an eager student or foal happily awaiting their caretaker’s next words. Compared to the ‘Smartypants’ Incident, the difference was like night and day.

“Twilight…Back at Mayor Mare’s office you defended me from what I intend to do to protect your friend,” I noted, looking down at her and giving a reassuring smile. “Thank you for that kindness.”

Twilight, unfortunately, just stares at me confused. “But you said I shouldn’t-”

“Worry about me, and that’s true. I’m thanking you for caring about me,” I explained, sitting down next to her. “It felt wonderful to be reminded how much my subjects, and you, cared for me. And for that, I thank you.”

Twilight blushed a little and gave a sheepish smile. “You’re…you’re welcome, Princess…I’m glad to help.”

Twilight may have her moments of ego, but for who she is, for what she’s done, she is a remarkably humble pony. There is no doubt about that. And I’m so proud of her for it.

“Twilight, I know you desire no reward, but I will give you something you wanted more than anything since you left Canterlot.” I knew the last Gala, while extremely entertaining for me, did not live up to any of Twilight and her friends’ expectations. In fact, in many ways, I’d given them their Gala dreams on this day intentionally (sadly I couldn’t find a date for Rarity, I don‘t have many Princes who would get along with her). While Twilight and I got to spend some time together, it was not nearly enough. I can’t believe I’d let that slip my mind in my fear of my subjects being terrified of me. “We shall spend the day together, just you and me.”

Twilight managed to do a most amazing thing and look simultaneously ecstatic and horrified at the same time. “Princess! I…I don’t know what to say. I mean I’d love to, but won’t everyone be on you every five minutes and-”

“Not a problem, Twilight,” I reply, slowly shrinking down, my mane becoming solid and pink as my horn and wings vanished. My Cutie Mark is replaced with three smiling suns. “I’ll be wearing a disguise,” I continued, even my voice changed.

Twilight stared in blind shock. “You…you can DO that?!”

I gave a nod. “Yes, I do it quite frequently in fact. What? You believed I don’t need a break every now and then from my duties as Princess?” I asked, giving a playful smile. “If I didn’t get away from those nobles once in awhile I think I’d go insane. I’ve got quite a few avatars and mortal forms to use. This one is named Sunny Days.”

Twlight didn’t seem to know how to respond to this revelation. "Y-you are Sunny Days? You're a TABLOID writer? The most famous one? Who writes insulting stories about YOURSELF?"

I shushed her lightly before she could start having a breakdown. "Yes, and Twilight, and I'd prefer you were the only one to know about it...Now come, let's have some fun."

Twilight just looked at me thoughtfully for a moment. “Are…are you sure Princess?”

“Yes, Twilight. I just want to spend the day with my faithful student, and enjoy it.” I came over and smiled. “And I know she’s wanted that for a long time too.”

Twilight gave a small smile. She stopped herself from bowing and simply nodded. “I’d love to Princess Celes-I mean, Sunny Days.”

“Glad to hear it. This will be more fun than the time I permitted myself to be kidnapped.”

“What?!”

“Oh don’t worry, Twilight, those crooks were more a threat to themselves than me, though I did end up needing to retire that disguise...”


“Hahaha!” Oh I don’t think I’ve laughed that hard in eons!

“Princess! They…They just beat up an evil version of you!” Twilight whispered in disbelief as I laughed at this delightful little show Applejack’s little sister and her friends put on.

“Yes, I know. And good special effects!” I laughed as my stage self was defeated in a delightfully over the top and gory manner.

Twilight’s eye twitched. “Why are you laughing then?!”

I look her in the eye as I cease my chuckling. “Twilight, I write my own tabloids for a lot of reasons, you think I don’t have thick skin?” I questioned. “The only tabloids I’ve ever truly been hurt by were the…well, Molestia articles, for the same reason they hurt you. I even write articles about myself just for fun sometimes. These three are clearly parodying me. Why should I be insulted by a satire of myself? It‘s all in good fun.”

“…I…I think I understand.”

The show ended and I applauded loudly. “…Let’s watch it again!”

“With all due respect, your Majesty, I‘d rather not.”


As the festival continued, I think Twilight lightened up and came to enjoy it more as well, though she still took pains to make sure we had a schedule and got to visit everywhere we desired to. And I can’t say there could be anything that would make me happier.

We had a wonderful day, enjoying all of the festival’s many attractions. I admit…I may have eaten more ice cream than I should have, but if I am going to choose one day to indulge myself, it might as well be my day off. Plus, it was ice cream planet ice cream, I would be wasting a once in a million years opportunity not to enjoy it. I must apologize to Pandora for questioning her wisdom in creating that world.

Trixie’s new show was a wonderful display to watch, I enjoyed every second of it. I can see why she is an Element of Magic, her multitude of spells was fantastic. I’m assuming she’d taken to learning a lot once my student saved her. I’m very proud of her truthfully. Not every pony can come out of their shell as she has. And the joy in Twilight’s eyes at her friend’s success was nearly as wonderful as the show itself.

I am also proud of Fluttershy. While I must visit her to make clear she understands the responsibility that she now wields, I do admit that I am proud she is willing to accept what her actions have wrought, both good and bad...Though I'm somewhat ashamed that one of my little ponies would try to start a public stoning, even if there anger is understandable. Fluttercruel has also grown so much. She even now understands she has a soul of her own. I will not contradict my sister’s punishment, but I will admit I feel Fluttercruel may not have deserved it for a well intentioned mistake.

I do hope Fluttershy will feel up to defending her title at the next Quiet Game World Championships. She’s always a joy to watch. Still, even without her participation, that competition certainly beats the Grand Galloping Gala any day…I’m not sure if that’s a testament to how surprisingly intense that competition can be, or to how mind numbingly dull the Gala can be. Perhaps I should have a tournament at the next Gala.


After the wonderful day came to a close, I returned to Twilight at the library and shed my guise. “Thank you Twilight, I don’t believe I’ve had a more wonderful day in a very long time.”

Twilight gave a warm smile and hugged me. “No, thank you, Princess, it really was wonderful.”

I gave a nod and nuzzled my student…but Fluttershy and Fluttercruel’s words still echoed in my mind. “…Twilight, do your friends still feel guilt for what Discord made them do?”

Twilight blinked, looking confused. “I don’t think so…not anymore. Rainbow Dash did for awhile, but we finally helped her through it…Why?”

“I know someone who Discord hurt. The problem is, what he did to them. They enjoyed it in some ways, but their actions still make them feel guilty. What would you say to them?” I asked, grateful for my poker face.

Twilight looked thoughtful. “A few ponies here in Ponyville were like that. They ultimately needed to face the fact Discord used the things they loved against them. That he knew they wanted something and he gave it to them, but tainted it into something terrible. That Discord wanted them to feel guilty and doing so is letting him win. Does that help?”

I listen closely. And I understand what she’s saying. Discord knew how much I missed my foal hood and…one of my foalhood friends. And he twisted that against me. I will admit, I enjoyed being a foal again. It was what I’d done to my subjects that I was ashamed of. Spending Gaia’s Day playing with foals had shown me that desire wasn’t all bad. But she’s right.

“Thank you, Twilight, it most certainly should…”


I walked up to the statue in the middle of the maze, protected by distortions only I or Luna should be able to get passed. Looking up at Discord’s prison, I gave a small smile. “Discord,” I stated, looking into his frozen eyes. I knew he could hear me. “I know you wanted to hurt me…though I will admit, a part of me hopes beyond hope you gave me a new foalhood in an attempt to get back our days at Paradise Estate before your fall…But it also taught me a valuable lesson. I think in the end, you’ve made me much stronger than I was before.” I give him a smile. “For that, I thank you. Farewell…Dissy.”


I am Princess Celestia. I remember the big bang. I have seen things ponies can never comprehend. I am the Day itself…and my subjects fear me. But they do not hate me. They fear me as child fears their mother. I have guilt I must live with, but what a chaotic tyrant made me do is not among the things I should be ashamed of.

I now know that I am both feared and loved by my subjects as their ruler and their mother. And I both love and fear for them the same way. I am free.

The End.

Comments ( 6 )

Ooh, excellent character work here. It's a good thing I'd read your other works on DevArt, though, or I would have missed a lot of what was going on.

I do love your focus on how characters were affected by being Discorded - it's a great subject.

“Glad to hear it. This will be more fun than the time I permitted myself to be kidnapped.”

That was a hilarious story

That was touching and very long but worth it in the end:twilightsmile: the lesson that Celestia learn is one that many of use would never really think about :trixieshiftleft: this story is the type that touches you heart :derpytongue2:

Aww, it was sweet at the end! :raritystarry: :pinkiehappy:

(Interviewer’s Notes (Earth Pony): Princess Celestia, it’s nice to meet you too!)

Hehe…It’s good to meet you too, little one, you remind me of Twilight when she was a foal…

How many years was it before we learned the joke behind this? Does/did Celestia know the truth about the Interviewers?

No, of course not…Let’s move on, shall we?

My my, do I detect a little denial sunbutt?

but that resulted in a literal mountain of burnt noodles (a dragon ambassador appreciated them).

Aww that's nice, Luna made everyone some ah-Spaghettinoodles!

Of missing a deadline I myself had set.

Was there ever any proof that the deadline wasn't just Twiights OCD? Because the line about not NEEDING a letter every week kind of stands in at least spiritual opposition to the idea.

even the goddesses have Someone to pray to, I don’t think I’d have had any piece of mind the last thousand years if I didn’t…

So who do your parents pray to?

No, this is not a demon, but I’ll get to why holy water was effective in a moment.

Good, because honestly you already won the elemental rock paper scissors.

Login or register to comment