• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 8,044 Views, 365 Comments

Them - Ether Echoes



[Now EQD Featured!] Rainbow Dash was not always Rainbow Dash. Her life was shaped against her will by shadowy, mysterious figures, and They will only be stopped if she can get her act together and find Them.

  • ...
32
 365
 8,044

Chapter 12

Two specks careened through infinity. As the new world took shape, one clung to the other and kept it from falling. Like shooting stars, they flitted across the sky in a twinkle of light.

“Let me go!” Hawa demanded. “Firefly, what are you doing?

Firefly tightened her grip. It was will that glued them together more than any mere physical force, but she wasn’t really in the mood for overthinking it. “Getting answers.”

Hawa struggled to tear away uselessly. “There’s none to be had,” she said, her voice heavy and broken. “It’s finished. Let me rest, please.”

“Not until I find out what’s ‘finished.’ What happened to Rainbow Dash?”

Hawa turned her face away from Firefly’s intense gaze. “She’s gone.”

“Gone? Gone where?”

“Up. Out.” Hawa sighed heavily. “I don’t know—all I know is that she’s gone. There are nine-hundred and ninety-nine of us, now, not a thousand. And I’m already stretched so thin… Firefly, please. I’ve carried a whole world on my shoulders for longer than you can conceivably imagine, and now there’s one less person to share that burden with.”

Firefly stared at her for a long time. “Rainbow Dash… you know what, I don’t have the slightest damned idea what you’re talking about. Start from the beginning, and then we’ll talk about letting you go.”

Hawa shook her head, and did. She told Firefly the truth, the entire truth about their world and the cosmos as it stood—how all things begin with a dreamer who brings the world to be. The purpose of the world divisions. How Rainbow Dash was the next dreamer in line, called to replace Hawa. She told Firefly of her pain in failing to keep the world running and how it eventually fell apart, and how Rainbow Dash, on confronting this truth, refused to participate and perpetuate it.

With her voice near to breaking, Hawa whispered, “So, rather than take her place, she… left. Rainbow Dash peeled off her wants and needs, she denied herself… and whatever remained, the core of who she was, departed where the Traveler had gone. Up and out. Emptiness.”

“The only way to win is not to play, huh?” Firefly muttered.

“Evidently.” Hawa lowered her head. “Are you satisfied?”

“No.”

“I thought not.” Hawa shifted awkwardly in her embrace. “You’ve always been a sort of hungry ghost. You couldn’t sit still through your iterations in my world, so I suppose it was too much to ask for you to sit still here.” She smiled slightly. “Perhaps you are that nagging spark of rebellion within us.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Firefly waved her hoof dismissively. “How do we get her back?”

Hawa shrugged her shoulders. “She is beyond us, in every sense of the word. You might as well ask how an ant signals a passing spaceship. Even if we did, why would she respond? She’s made her decision clear—she refuses, categorically, to perpetuate a system that must end in failure.”

Firefly snorted. “It’s not over until it’s over. The universe hasn’t ground to a halt yet, sister.” She glanced around, perceiving the reality around her as best she could, which was not at all. “She owes me an explanation. Whatever else has happened, she’s still in debt to us, for all we did.”

“I’m not entirely sure that’s how it works.”

“But you’re not sure it doesn’t, right?” Firefly asked with a grin. Hawa gave her a flat stare in return. “Let’s start with the obvious, then: how do we find her fragments?”

Hawa rubbed her face. “Is this how you and Rainbow Dash managed to fight your way to the moon? By stubbornly refusing to accept defeat?”

“Pretty much.”

“All right. Well,” Hawa narrowed her brow. “Normally, when a dreamer is replaced, she goes to sleep and is reborn in the world below. There’s a certain amount of logic in the idea that Rainbow Dash’s fragments have incarnated in some form as well.”

“That’s just the sort of wild guesswork that we need!” Firefly frowned. “How do we incarnate, then, without losing a sense of who we are and what we’re about?”

“The same way I did in the first iteration of my world. Cheat outrageously.” When Hawa lifted her head again, she seemed more solid than before. Perhaps some fragment of Firefly’s spark of determination had lit within her, or maybe she just wanted to get this over with—either way, Firefly exulted. “Vinyl?” she called into the void.

With a disorienting shift, they found themselves plopped down on a dance floor in a large, dark room lit only by flashing stage lights. Vinyl Scratch herself stood at a turntable, her now-multi hued hair in the same spiky style it had adopted in her last earthly identity.

Firefly groaned and flipped back to her feet. She flexed the kinks out of her wings and turned to face Vinyl Scratch. “So. You too, huh?”

“Apparently.” Vinyl shrugged. “I was due after Rainbow Dash, but her Entelecheia tried to foist me into the role instead of herself. You’ve been caught up?”

“As much as I can be. You don’t mind… uh, Rainbow Scratch?” Firefly asked, glancing around uncertainly. “This doesn’t look like a new world.”

“It isn’t. I’ve created a little side world for you to fiddle around in, based on Ponyville, so you don’t cause too much damage.” Vinyl shook her head. “It’s already pretty fragile. As for minding, I don’t know how long my world will last. If you get Rainbow Dash back, my work becomes easier.” She flicked her tail. “Maybe I see her point, too. This is a terrible job, and if there’s a way out… well, let me know how it goes. I’ll drop the incarnations in for you one at a time, but I warn you, they’re not easy to control.” She pointed behind Firefly and Hawa. “Whenever you’re ready, just step through that door.”

Firefly turned to look at a push door with a glowing rainbow “EXIT” sign planted above it. She nodded. “All right.” With that, she turned and walked towards it.

Hawa trotted alongside her, her long, sinuous tail flicking nervously. “Just what is your plan, anyway?”

“You’ve made it clear that Rainbow Dash isn’t going to come back without a reason,” Firefly said, pausing in front of the door. “That she’ll refuse because she doesn’t want to perpetuate the process. Well… I have one guaranteed way to ensure she comes back and talks to me.”

“What’s that?”

“I’m going to take her place,” Firefly said grimly. “I’m going to become a rainbow-maned mare, by taking on what she left behind.”

“Okay, that’s… insane, and I’m pretty sure it won’t work,” Hawa said slowly, “but even if it did, how will that bring her back?”

Firefly smirked. “Spoilers.” She paused with her hoof on the door. “Oh! I forgot something. Just a sec. Vinyl, buddy? There’s something I need.”

* * *

With a resounding clang, Red Dash’s face collided with a cast-iron skillet and she flew back through the air, rebounding from the blow with incredible force. She plowed through several cottages before smashing into a storefront. Quills rained in her wake, and a sofa caught her fall.

Firefly grinned and spun the skillet in her hooves. She looked to Hawa, “Eh?”

Hawa looked at the teeth on the grass, where they had been beaten out by Firefly’s strike. “You and Rainbow Dash are barbarians.”

“We were meant for each other.” Firefly beat her wings and raced ahead. She came down on Red Dash, pinning her to the floor of the shop before she could stand.

Despite the stunning blow, Red Dash snarled and snapped in fury, trying to bite the creature holding her down. Hawa cast a spell to keep her immobile with a reluctant little wave of her horn, its tip lighting up.

Firefly planted her hooves on the struggling emanation’s shoulders and looked down at her. “You’re angry, I can tell.”

“Hah. Hah,” Red Dash spat. “I should have broken that thing over your face a long time ago.”

“You and what army?” Firefly smirked. “But, come on. I’m seriously not here to fight. I know you want to rant and rage and destroy things, I can see that. You’re passion, you’re the hero who saves the day. Thing is, you weren’t allowed to, were you?”

The tension drained from Red Dash’s muscles as Firefly spoke. She turned her head aside. “There’s no point in being a hero,” she muttered. “There’s no way to win.”

“Perhaps,” Firefly conceded. “But just because there’s no hope doesn’t mean we shouldn’t fight anyway. Sometimes, making a stand is just as important as actually winning.”

Red Dash gave her a narrow look. “That’s a stupid platitude.”

“Yeah, it totally, totally is.” Firefly nodded. “But you look like a mare stupid enough to fight for a hopeless cause. How about it?”

The red-maned Rainbow Dash licked her lips uncertainly. She glanced up at Firefly, then at Hawa, and then back to Firefly. Their eyes met and locked. Slowly, a smile spread across Red Dash’s swollen face, and she shifted subtly, her coat turning from blue to hot pink. The differences between Rainbow Dash’s body and Firefly’s were minor, but distinct, and when she spoke it was in Firefly’s clearer tones. “Yeah. Let’s do it.”

Red Firefly vanished, and Firefly’s mane sizzled. She yelped and shuddered. “Whoa. That’s… ow. My face.” She rubbed the side of her cheek, the same one that she had struck on Red Dash.

That’s what you get.

She pulled a lock of mane forward and marveled at the red stripe among her cerulean locks.

“How do you feel?” Hawa asked, watching Firefly uncertainly. “You’re… pretty much a novel creation, after all. No pony in all the cycles has done this before, so I think that an entirely reasonable question for me to ask.”

Great! Like I could beat a mountain to death.” She glanced around and fixed her eyes on Canterlot Mountain in the distance. As she lifted up to race towards it, though, Hawa snapped a telekinetic field about her tail and held her in place.

“You’re also exploding with borrowed passion,” Hawa said dryly. “Try to remain focused.”

“Oh, right. Uh…” Firefly rubbed her chin. She held it up towards the heavens. “Next track, Vinyl?”

I’m on it!” her voice boomed from the heavens. The clouds parted, and a celestial DJ lifted a blank record from a turntable and set an orange one in its place.

* * *

Pushing the door open to Carousel Boutique, Firefly frowned as she picked her way among ruined pony forms and shredded bolts of cloth. Together with Hawa, she mounted the stairs and pushed open the door to what had been Rarity’s bedroom, and now served as a silky boudoir. Orange Dash wept dramatically at the dressing table, covered in a ragged cloak.

Seriously?” Firefly muttered. “I need to deal with Rainbow’s inner Rarity? This is going to su-uck.

Orange Dash whipped her face around, her unkempt mane hanging around her mascara-stained face. “Oh, like you don’t have a passionate, hyper-feminine side.”

“If I do, she’s totally not as much of a sissy as you are.”

Firefly,” Hawa warned tightly. She turned to face Orange Dash. “I know you’re… in a bad state, but we need your help.”

“Yes, yes, you wish to join Firefly’s essence with mine in some mad gambit to restore order to the cosmos,” Orange Dash said in a high, mocking voice. “Well, you can forget about it! Rainbow Dash broke my heart. I have no intention of seeing her ever again.

Hawa stomped a hoof on Firefly’s as the other started to reach for the frying pan strapped to her back and stepped forward. While Firefly danced with pain, she laid a hoof against Orange Dash’s back and sighed. “I know. Rainbow hurt me, too, but I understand why she did it. Now we need to call her back.”

“Why? Let her flit about Nirvana for all time—or whatever passes for time when you’re a transcendental ideal.” Orange sniffed disdainfully. “Besides, it’s not like it matters. She’s right—the world will die.”

“And in the meantime,” Firefly said, glaring at Hawa as she came up to join them, “things have gotten worse. If there’s a solution to this, one that fits everyone, I mean to find it. Rainbow’s solution can’t be the right one—not if it leaves all of us hanging.”

“The world doesn’t need passion or desire.”

“Doesn’t it?” Firefly shook her head. “Maybe. I don’t pretend to know. I think dumping experience like a discarded toy is a terrible idea, though. How can you have led a complete existence unless you’ve experienced all the highs and all the lows? I think that’s why you’re here—you aren’t satisfied.” Firefly waved a hoof around. “Maybe you can’t be satisfied, maybe it’s a carousel that never ends, but I want to find out.”

Orange Dash looked between the other mares and smiled faintly. “You make a good point—more importantly, you appealed to my vanity, and that is a surefire way to win my affection. Do you need me, Firefly?”

Firefly nodded. “Yes, I do.”

Just as Red Dash had done, Orange Dash shimmered and changed, taking on Firefly’s features. “Then, let it be done.”

Orange lightning shot between them, and Firefly yelped as the color orange imprinted itself onto her mane and tail. When it faded, she shook her head, feeling strangely drunk. When she looked at Hawa, she smiled and slid up to her. “You know, you are really gorgeous. I just love the way your mane—”

* * *

Firefly hovered outside the balloon, crossing her forelegs and pouting. “You didn’t have to hit me so hard.

Hawa snorted indelicately, refusing to face her. They rose towards Rainbow Dash’s cloud house steadily.

“I would have backed off! Besides, it’s not my fault,” Firefly protested. “I have, like, double the desire I had before.”

“Which is why I will forgive you. Eventually.” Hawa flicked her tail and glanced over her shoulder. “Do you really think I am pretty?”

“Uh.” Firefly held her hooves up defensively. “I should clarify that I don’t feel an overpowering urge to jump your bones again—well, not as much—but, yes, you are rather cute.”

Hawa giggled and hopped out of the balloon. Her hooves rested firmly on the vapor in front of the cloud house. “Let’s go.”

Firefly muttered, “Some mares. Sheesh.”

“What’s that?”

“Coming!” Firefly darted into the house after her.

Smashed furniture and pictures covered the floor and crunched under their hooves. They wandered through the halls until they came across a silent figure with a golden mane curled up on Rainbow Dash’s bed, her tail tucked around her.

Firefly stepped forward. “Excuse me—”

Yellow sprang from her crouched position and flattened Firefly to the floor. The latter yelped and squirmed, but Yellow shushed her loudly and pushed her tear-stained face into hers. “Let’s go.”

“Uh. I haven’t given my pretty speech ye—whoa!” Firefly squeaked as Yellow Dash’s features shifted and vanished in one go, the yellow hue forcing itself on her mane and tail. She shuddered and shook as she righted herself.

Hawa laid a hoof on her shoulder. “Are you all right?”

Firefly nodded weakly, her teeth chattering. “Y-yeah. Sh-she w-was just sc-scared… scared and lonely.”

“I guess word is getting around,” Hawa said with a frown down at the detritus under her feet. “How, I have no idea. I wonder if the other colors will be this easy to persuade?”

“Well!” a voice said from the window, held by another simulacrum with a bright green mane over Rainbow Dash’s features. “I, for one, think it entirely reasonable that you want to become me.”

Firefly stepped to the window with a hesitant motion. The imposition of additional fear was not helping her emotional stability anyway, but she swallowed it as best she could. “So… does that mean you’ll help us?”

“I’m not so sure about that,” Green said, squinting at her closely. “You can talk about how relevant you think I am, sure. I’ll enjoy it. The thing is, I don’t know much about your plan. What’s this good for?”

“Taking her place,” Firefly said.

“And? What then? I’m not Red and Orange and stuff.” She shook her head. “How does taking Rainbow Dash’s place change anything?”

“It’s a gamble,” Firefly said quietly, yet firmly. “I’m going to shame her into returning so she can answer to us. She still owes us, and I won’t let her forget that.”

“Well. I guess I, of all ponies, can’t really object to ridiculous ambition. Count me in.” With a rush of green light, the fourth part of Rainbow Dash flooded into Firefly. She bit her lip to keep from crying out and writhed against the tear-soaked bed.

Hawa pulled her back gently. She held Firefly’s head in her forelegs and searched her features with uncertain eyes. “You don’t need to do this. I don’t even know if it will work.”

“Neither do I,” Firefly grunted and pushed her back, though she quirked her lips gratefully. It was a wan smile, but a smile nonetheless. “It doesn’t matter, though. Either I do this or everything I’ve fought for is worth nothing.

Hawa looked at her for a moment and then nodded. She pulled Firefly into another hug against her squawked protests. “Oh, hush, you bold, beautiful thing. I never got to really tell Rainbow Dash how much I admired her determination, before the end. I… I wish I could be as strong as either one of you.”

Firefly opened her mouth, but closed it thoughtfully. “I probably shouldn’t say much. I’ve just been hit with a double whammy of envy, after all. Still, don’t sell yourself short.” She cuffed Hawa’s shoulder. “You’re here by my side, after all.” She looked out the window at the sky. “Next, Vinyl?”

Already got you covered.

* * *

Firefly looked around the desolate landscape. She frowned, feeling a little jarred as she contemplated the jagged rocks and sheer surfaces. “Seems like there should be, I dunno… wind or something.”

“We can’t have everything, dear,” Hawa said as she picked over the stones. “It does seem a little barren for Blue, though. Would she not be compassion and nurturing?”

“Well, we’re about to find out,” Firefly said, pointing ahead at a shape on the rock face above them. While Firefly flapped her way up, Hawa leapt from rock to rock, and together they came to the mouth of a cave high above the ground.

A blue-maned Rainbow Dash sat in front of it patiently, her sad eyes fixed on them. She perked her ears as they approached, and offered a small smile. “Hello, Firefly, Hawa.”

“Hey.” Firefly walked in front of her. “You know why I’m here?”

“Better than you yourself do, I suspect, as I did for Rainbow Dash before you.” She held her hoof out. “I told her something very important, and you are the vehicle in which I shall remind her.”

“If you knew it was going to come to this,” Hawa asked with a frown, “why did you let it happen?”

“Because it needed to happen,” Blue Dash said. “What Rainbow Dash learns in her journey is important, just as it’s important for Firefly to be the one to bring her back.”

Firefly scuffed her hoof and cupped her ears forward. “What do you know? Do you know what we need to do to fix things?”

“I do not,” Blue Dash smiled, “I know only that you will. I have a certain faith in the matter.” Her features slid away, to be replaced by Firefly’s pink face. “Within this cave is the last fragment of what Rainbow Dash left behind. She will be… difficult to move. Are you ready?”

“No.” Firefly shook her head. “But I’ve got to do it anyway.” She took Blue’s outstretched hoof. This time, there was no pain, only a sweet joy that filled her heart and mind. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, taking in the acrid scent of the world.

Hawa stepped forward to her side, wordlessly solicitous, but Firefly waved her off with a small smile. “It’s all right. Come on.”

Entering the cave, they found it as barren as the outside, but for the presence of a statue. She sat in the middle of the cavern, her violet hair as immobile as the stone that surrounded her.

“Sheesh,” Firefly muttered. “When she said ‘difficult to move’ I didn’t take her literally.”

Hawa gave her a sour look. “You know, your flippant comments are a little off-putting when the fate of the universe is on the line.”

“Sorry, sorry.” Firefly grinned sheepishly. “I can’t help it. It’s the only way I stay sane through all of this metaphysical garbage.”

Garbage,” Hawa snorted and tossed her mane. “This is deep and meaningful.

“As the sum totality of all existence, you are no more or less silly than it is.” Firefly walked up to the immobile fragment and placed her hooves on it. “And, you know what? Reality is pretty ridiculous. Trust me, I’ve been from one end of it to the other by now.”

Lowering herself so that she could look into Violet’s staring eyes, Firefly evened her breathing and prepared her thoughts. “I know what you are. You’re Rainbow Dash’s identity. I have a pretty good idea of why you’re not moving, either.”

Violet Dash did not respond. Naturally.

“She denied you. She taught you that you were irrelevant.” Firefly rubbed a hoof against the impenetrably stiff ear. “You pretty much are, too. Your only relevance is providing identity, and for someone who doesn’t need an identity, what good are you?”

Silence.

“In all that vast… nothingness, whatever, what good are any of us? Rainbow Dash doesn’t need us anymore. In a way, we don’t even need her. She’s gone and we’re going on—the Wheel keeps on turning, for now, and all of us turn with it. One spoke missing, not enough to compromise it.” Firefly sat in front of Violet and held her hooves up. “So… that’s where my plan comes in.”

Hawa leaned forward intently. Vinyl appeared out of the air and watched, tilting her glasses up as she looked at Firefly.

“I’m going to show Rainbow Dash the thing she’s running so hard from,” Firefly said. “I’m going to take her place, and when I do, I’m not going to leave the world or perpetuate it. I’m going to end it. I’m going to break the Wheel.”

Vinyl stared, while Hawa’s gasp filled the cavern. “Uh, Firefly?” Vinyl asked. “Just what are you saying?”

“The only way to win is not to play,” Firefly said, not taking her eyes off the frozen Violet Dash. “Rainbow Dash avoided responsibility for the cycle. I’m going to take consequences to their logical extreme and dare her to come back and find a way to fix them.”

“Holding the universe hostage isn’t a solution, Firefly!” Hawa said sharply. She strode forward. “I trusted you!”

“I have a few objections, myself—” Vinyl started.

Firefly leapt to her feet, her eyes ablaze. “No!” She looked between the two rainbow-maned mares. “You’re right. You are absolutely right. It isn’t a solution. It’s not a solution because there is no solution for any of us here.” She pointed up at the ceiling and it parted, revealing the void. “The only way out of our problem is to look in the one place we can’t—the place Rainbow Dash has gone to!” She spun around, her tail lashing. “And the only way to get her back is to force her hoof. She wanted to avoid this fate so badly? Well, okay. Let’s give it to her and see how she takes it.” She fixed Vinyl with her gaze. “We’re damned either way. Might as well take it on our own terms.”

Vinyl shook her head. “I… really don’t know if I agree with you.”

Firefly turned to Hawa. The alien unicorn’s face was torn, her eyes flicking this way and that. “I… Firefly… we all spent eons trying not to let this happen. We’ve had more cycles of mares changing place than there are years in a cycle.” She stepped forward the rest of the way and looked into her eyes. “We’ve asked the question of what we should do before, and never took this seriously as an option. Why should we do it now? What’s changed?”

“I have,” Firefly said, “and so has Rainbow Dash. You said it yourself… I’m a unique creation, and so is she.” She rested her hoof against Hawa’s face. “I’m sorry. I loved living in your world—even after I got kicked out, I still thought it was beautiful. I think there could be many more beautiful worlds to come. We won’t survive long, though, if we aren’t complete. We either take a stand now, or we whimper out of existence.”

Hawa sighed. She tilted her head forward and gently nuzzled Firefly’s cheek. “All right.”

Vinyl’s shoulders slumped. “Well. Guess we did have a good run.”

“So…” Firefly turned towards the violet-maned figure. “What say you? One last blaze of glory?”

She found herself looking into her own eyes, reflecting back at her with fierce determination. Iron-shod hooves gripped her shoulders. “Now you are speaking my language.”

Firefly howled as she united with the last shard of Rainbow Dash. Awareness flooded into her, the certain knowledge and perception of generations of souls filtered through every form of consciousness imaginable. The earth, such as it was, shook and cracked under her, then vanished entirely in a burst of multicolored flame. Firefly flashed to the mountainside, then up its slopes, hardly seeming to breathe between stops as she crossed distance without bothering with the intervening points. She passed through the ring of stones and stood before Vinyl Scratch.

Reaching down, she grabbed the sleeping mare and chucked her bodily off the mound into the pond beside it, where Vinyl spluttered and splashed. She pulled herself out and glared at Firefly with subdued annoyance. “I was getting up.”

“Sorry! Time waits for no mare.” Firefly settled herself down on the mound. “Call it Dash’s impatience combined with mine.”

Hawa stepped up from the garden and smiled. “More like your mutual rudeness.” She tossed her mane and looked down at Firefly as the newly minted dreamer put her head between her legs. “Firefly?”

“Yeah?”

“If this doesn’t work out… well, I’m sorry for casting you out. I wish I’d been able to help you.” She smoothed Firefly’s new striped mane back. “If it does… I’d like to get to know you better, if I can.”

“Deal.” Firefly smiled, and closed her eyes. Slumber took her.

As for the world she crafted, she kept it very simple. No chance at all to mess it up. It would endure for eternity, with no loss of energy or purpose. Light and darkness, spirit and matter, all of it mixed together until there was only one thing left: a monument. A tomb, even, or perhaps a grave marker. There would never again be a need for the Wheel to turn.

On it was written one thing, in the language of the Book. Space and time writ into a condemnation against the black. It read, and would read for all time:

Rainbow Dash, the Destroyer of Worlds


Well, Rainbow Dash thought, isn’t that just peachy.


The sign reading “THIS IS A DREAM” flickered fitfully in the cloud bank. The sun, too, shuddered and trembled before settling down on the horizon. It could have been rising or setting; no one could say.

“We’ve come a long way since meeting here for the first time, haven’t we?” Firefly called. “It only seemed like a few weeks, but it’s been so much longer than that. So many eons since it was just you and me, planning on how to fix our lives and stop the meddling Them.”

“Past the point that time’s meaningful, Firefly.” Rainbow Dash flexed her legs and wings experimentally. “Nice hair.”

Firefly rolled her eyes up to look at a rainbow lock and grinned. “Looks wrong on me, honestly.” She regarded Rainbow Dash. “And you look exactly the same as you did before. Isn’t that essentially impossible?”

“I don’t really have limits like that, Firefly.” She shook her head. “Well, you’ve done it. You’ve given final death to the entire world soul, all to send a message to me.” Rainbow sat down and folded her forelegs. “Here I am.”

“I have questions, and I think you owe me answers,” Firefly said. She twirled her frying pan and frowned down at it. “I can’t really smack you around with this anymore, can I?”

“Not in any meaningful fashion, no. I’m here because I choose to be.” Rainbow ran a hoof through her mane. “Ask away.”

Firefly sat across from her. “I’m going out on a limb and saying it wasn’t pride that brought you back. I can’t imagine you feel shame at what the other Travelers think of you.” She huffed a sigh. “Nor about anything else, for that matter.”

“That’s not a question.” Rainbow Dash smiled. “I suppose it’s several, actually. Am I devoid of emotion? No—I can choose to have emotions if I like. Did I come because of some sense of pride or shame?” She regarded Firefly quietly for a moment. “No. I did what I believed to be the right thing and it would be inconsistent of me to insist otherwise.”

“Why’d you come, then?”

“Because I left for a reason, and now you’ve rendered that meaningless.”

Firefly tilted her head. “I wouldn’t think a perfect being would care about such a thing.”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “Liar. If you believed that, you wouldn’t have rolled the dice.”

“Dice implies I could have lost.” Firefly crossed her forelegs. “I don’t care how immortal and transcendent you are; you came from somewhere, and that had to mean something to you.”

“Heh.” Rainbow Dash leaned back. “Yeah. I suppose it does. So, yes, I care. I care about everypony left behind.”

“Great!” Firefly grinned. “Now fix it.”

“Oh, that’s cute. You break it, so I’m obliged to fix it?”

Tapping her hoof on the cloud, Firefly pretended to think it over for a moment and then nodded. “Yup.”

With a groan, Rainbow Dash rubbed her face. “How I ever let you talk me into anything, I don’t know…”

“To be frank, we were both pretty much idiots at the start of this,” Firefly pointed out. She smiled. “I still look fondly on that time, though.”

“Yeah.” Rainbow chuckled. “Maybe I was terrified out of my mind most of the time, but I felt really alive. I had a purpose, then, I had ponies who loved me. I had you, my special friend in the twilight. The weight of the universe had only just begun to settle, and I was kind of stupid so I didn’t really get the full consequences anyway. Blah blah, ignorance is bliss, fond memories of our infancy.”

Laughing, Firefly reached forward and punched Rainbow’s leg. “Yet, here we are again. Just the two of us.” She smirked. “Shows how far we’ve come, huh?”

“Yeah. I guess.” Rainbow Dash looked at her thoughtfully. “Did you ever wonder how you got to be there in the first place? To know Their Plan and all.”

“I’m guessing neither my charming good looks nor my winning personality did it?”

“Hah.” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “No. It’s because you’re the part of us who couldn’t stand to give up. You’re the spark that never dies.” She rubbed her leg. “You’re me, telling me how wrong I am, how the world isn’t fair and that the only person who has the responsibility to change it is me.

“Am I?” Firefly smiled. “Well. I certainly agree. You are wrong, and you do have a responsibility to change that.”

“What is there left to do, though? I asked everyone who ever lived or would live. I asked the Traveler.” She spread her forelegs. “Now it’s over. If you changed the dream and started it, Vinyl or another rainbow-maned mare would just finish it.”

“I’m sorry, Rainbow Dash, but the only one who can answer that now is you. I spent everything getting you here.” Firefly reached out and took her hooves. “We carried you on our backs to the mountain, and now we’re asking you to carry us on yours. We’re empty and lost. Please… find some way to guide us.”

They sat like that for a long time, such as time can be reckoned.

“It all starts with ignorance, doesn’t it?” Rainbow asked. Firefly jumped, startled by the sudden sound after so deep a silence. “I mean… every time the dreamer goes to sleep, the world soul awakens and busies itself. It starts from the beginning, worms its way through possibilities uncounted, and eventually shuts down.”

“Uh.”

“Sorry.” Rainbow Dash shakes her head. “I got a little carried away. What is the one thing that They always tried to prevent?”

“People finding out that They exist,” Firefly answered at once. “Because once people knew about Them, Their ability to do anything about them was limited.”

“Right.” Rainbow Dash nodded. “So what if everyone knew They existed? What then? We couldn’t tell everyone about it because They could just cut us out of the picture, before… but They can’t do that, now. They can’t affect me, and They are you so They certainly can’t do that.”

“Isn’t that how Hawa’s first world worked? Firefly asked skeptically. “I don’t remember that ending well.”

“All Hawa did was teach people how to ask her for things, and she performed it through the Entelecheia. Always, she acted as the intermediary. I’m not proposing giving people power over the Entelecheia, just… telling people the truth and letting them decide for themselves what they want to do.”

“That… will pretty much destabilize the world at once, won’t it?” Firefly asked.

“It will,” Rainbow said with a nod, “but does it matter? It’s the only way to be equitable.”

“I guess that’s really the end of… well, everything, though, isn’t it?” Firefly shook her head. “What’s the point of the dreamers if people are just going to know everything? There’s no need to keep them in ignorance.”

“No need at all.” Rainbow sucked in her breath. “Which is why I’m going to teach them how to leave.” She nodded firmly. “I’m going to accept the end. We’re going to accept the end. We’re going to end ignorance, then we’ll end desire, and we’ll all leave together to be free.

Firefly stared. “What? But… how? I mean, I thought only you could do that. You had this whole thing where you ripped your colors out one by one and denied them.”

“I know.” Rainbow nodded and smiled. “But that’s the thing. I think I know why I came back. I mean, the proximate cause is that you called me back, but ultimately, why did I come back?” She spread her hooves out. “Because it’s incomplete. The work isn’t done. I left pieces of myself behind, unsatisfied pieces that demanded I come back. I left you. I left Hawa and Vinyl. I left nine-hundred ninety-seven other rainbow-maned mares and everypony back in Ponyville and beyond.”

“You mean… taking all of us with you?” Firefly stared at her. “I mean… what’s that even like? You seem so different, Rainbow Dash, but you’re so much the same. Honestly, I was expecting you to be this stiff… other.

Rainbow Dash got to her feet. “What I’ve seen, beyond the veil…” She shook her head. “I can’t really describe it to you, Firefly, though I’ll try. It’s not just nothingness—it’s freedom.” She lifted her face and closed her eyes. “I could go anywhere, do anything, imagine anything. It was like being the Dreamer, but without all of the pain and suffering. No expectations, no anxiety… all but for the one little snag that you all were stuck here.”

“All together as one,” Firefly murmured. “It does sound nice. Could we end it if it wasn’t too our liking?”

“Liberty means freedom to choose. What you do then… well, I don’t know, but I’m going to try and find out.” Rainbow took a deep breath. “I’m almost wondering if this is a mistake. We’re just ending the Wheel again, in a different way.”

“Maybe.” Firefly rose. “I pulled for a third option, though, a way out of the impossible choice. If this is it, well… I’m willing to find out, too.”

Rainbow reached her hoof out to Firefly. “I will make an oath, then, and bind myself to you. So long as one soul is unenlightened, I will never leave. I commit myself to descend to earth and remain there, to be the last one out the door.”

Firefly grinned and clapped her hoof against Rainbow’s. “And I’ll be right there beside you.” The sound resounded throughout the dreamscape, a ringing note of finality.

They pulled one another into an embrace, and Rainbow felt tears touch her face. She’d become a part of the world again, letting it touch her. It didn’t matter, though. One long task had been put behind her, that of reclaiming the seat of the dreamer, and now another lay ahead of her. To enlighten the world, and free them of their burdens forever. Boy, do I take the easy jobs or what?

“Firefly?” she asked. “One request.”

“Yeah?”

“I’d like it if everypony incarnated back as they were in Ponyville when we left.” Rainbow said. “We can bring back the lost unicorns, and Crimson Charger, and the Lost… we’ll find room for them. I think everyone deserves their chance.” Rainbow laughed softly. “There’s something they should be present for, anyway.”

“Done, and done.” Firefly blinked at her. “And what’s that?”

* * *

Morning in Ponyville shimmered. From the rustling branches of the Everfree Forest to the misty blue mountains to the canyons to the rivers, it glowed in the light of the sun. Today, of all days, it was packed to capacity and beyond, a hundred times over, filled with guests that, once upon a time, would have looked strange. Unicorns never seen living mingled with those long thought dead and buried and the residents of the little town. They talked over coffee, they ate pie, they danced and sang, they wondered and they wept for the simple joy of sensation.

At Sweet Apple Acres, in the field in front of the barn, pegasi strung streamers from tree to tree, while unicorns erected poles and decorated a great tent and earth ponies raised a stage and chairs. Applejack belted orders at the top of her lungs, while the former Queen of the Lost issued countermands and conflicting orders, her face fresh with youth and her mane done up under her crown. Twilight Sparkle laughed and chatted with the three other Princesses, who all made room for the blue-maned Oracle as she sat between her daughters.

In the farmhouse kitchen, Rainbow Dash scrunched her face as she watched the preparations taking place outside, a strange feeling settling in her gut. In a way, this is all pretty ridiculous. Everypony here knows it’s ridiculous. What does it matter anymore? We all know the truth. We all know this world is just an illusion.

Rarity tugged on her tail. “Rainbow, darling, we aren’t finished yet. Get over here and stand still.”

She sighed and allowed herself to be roped back to the stool Rarity setup for her, holding a leg out so the unicorn could take additional measurements. “I thought you already knew my dress size.”

“Well, yes, but this is a very special dress. We can’t have even the slightest error.”

Fluttershy sewed away merrily in the corner, giggling. “It’s okay, Rarity. I think we’ve got it.”

Got it?” Rarity fumed. “This is to be the first celebration of its kind, ever! We can’t let it slide! It would be a crime of unthinkable proportions!”

“Thanks for reminding me that I have my work cut out for me in freeing you of your desires and needs, thanks,” Rainbow Dash muttered. “And we’ve had… weddings before.”

Rarity pricked Rainbow with a pin, and pouted when it failed to elicit a reaction. “Yes, but never one like this. How many young stallions and mares dropped their commitments after you and Firefly told us the truth?”

“I made a promise. One I failed to keep. I don’t plan on doing that again,” Rainbow Dash said quietly. “And I want to live the life I never could have had, before it’s time to go.”

The door burst open and the Cutie Mark Crusaders burst in. Each of them wore a flower girl’s dress and flowers in her mane. They were followed by the blonde unicorn filly in her own gown. All four lit up grins and grabbed Rainbow Dash. “Come with us, sis!” Scootaloo announced. “Firefly wants a word with you!”

“Girls—!”

“No, it’s okay,” Rainbow Dash laughed and waved off the crowd of fillies. “All right, let’s go.” She trotted out with them, looking around as she went. She saw Crimson Charger helping lift Vinyl Scratch’s heavy equipment toward the stage, the crimson-maned musician’s tail flicking excitedly.

“Just a little lower! And don’t crush Mosh Pit!”

“I thought death was irrelevant now, or something?” Mosh Pit asked uncertainly, turning a little more green than usual as he eased an enormous speaker into location.

“Yeah, but it’s messy and inconvenient.” Vinyl grinned. “Come on, you wuss. You have nothing to fear now. Take a chance!”

Rainbow snickered. I think there might be another wedding in a few short days, Rarity. She hurried on, passing a gaggle of other rainbow-maned mares as they marveled over a table stuffed to overflowing with Pinkie Pie and the Cakes’ catering. Some had found Applejack’s supply of stuffed apple pies and were happily gorging themselves.

Soon the Crusaders led her to the barn, and she frowned. “What’s Firefly doing over here?” she asked as she paused in the doorframe. As she turned to look at the girls, though, she saw them fleeing in all directions, just in time for a massive hoof to hook her around the neck and draw her into a deep, powerful kiss.

For all her enlightened power, Rainbow Dash felt her strength sapped away. She melted gleefully into the limbs of Big Macintosh, molding herself against his great red bulk. “Mm,” she murmured as they pulled away for air later, “I’m pretty sure there’s a tradition against the groom seeing the bride right before the ceremonies.”

“If there’s one thing you taught me, Rainbow,” Big Macintosh said into her ear, “it’s that traditions don’t mean a thing.” He then proceeded to nibble at that ear, which sent a new wave of squirmy heat down Rainbow Dash’s spine. She giggled and pushed at him futilely, not protesting terribly hard as her neck and mane were aggressively nuzzled.

“I just wanted to say…” Big Macintosh said slowly as they cuddled one another in the shade of the barn, “I know you’ve been through a lot. You’ve changed a lot, yourself and all of us combined. It’s never gonna be the same sorta marriage it mighta been, I know.”

Rainbow shook her head. “No. But…”

“But it don’t make it meaningless,” he finished for her with a broad smile. “I don’t care what you’ve become, Rainbow. To me, for the next while, you’re my beautiful wife, who I fought to heaven and back for. After that, well… we can talk about you bein’ the great teacher or whatever. I just want to have a few good years with you. Like nothin’d ever changed.”

Rainbow Dash nuzzled up under his chin and rested her head there. “Yeah… me too. I… heh. You know, I bet Orange is crowing right now.”

“Who?”

“Long story, tell you later.” She smiled. “That’s the thing about desires, though, don’t you see?”

He tilted his head curiously.

“The problem with desire is that you fear losing the things you want so bad that you blind yourself to the truth. You don’t see how it’s tearing your life apart to fight and struggle against something that will end.” She looked up at him. “That’s the ultimate lesson. There’s nothing wrong with desire all by itself, so long as you’re willing to let go when it comes time.”

“All this is gonna end.” He nodded. “But, yeah, it don’t mean we have to let it slide by and not enjoy it while we can.” He flicked an ear and grinned down at her. “Hey, maybe there’s somethin’ to this great spiritual teacher thing.”

Laughing, Rainbow Dash smacked him in the ribs. “Oh, don’t you start cracking jokes. I’ll make you pay for it.”

“Well, I plan to make you the mother of my foals, so I’m sure I’ll have plenty to pay for.” He smirked and nibbled at her ear again.

Rainbow Dash’s face turned bright red. She giggled and kissed him again. “You will pay for that. I’ll see to it. Now, contain yourself until after the ceremony. Imagine if somepony came in and found us.”

“Yeah?” Big Macintosh closed his legs around her. “I’d like to see ’em dare and object.”

“Tsk tsk,” Rainbow Dash said, abruptly standing in the door a few feet away. “Nope, I’m afraid your punishment begins now. Lesson two: never think you can contain somepony who transcends space and time!”

“Oh? Well.” He leaned back and crossed his lower legs. “We’ll see who contains who tonight, then.”

Rainbow blushed again. Then she stuck her tongue out at her husband-to-be and ran out giggling.

Almost immediately, she ran into Hawa and Firefly, who were trotting along their way to visit Twilight and the Princesses from their course, who were even now being joined by a laughing Discord. The two rainbow-maned mares exchanged glances and grinned at one another. “Having a little prenuptial conjugation, Dashie?” Hawa asked gleefully.

Rainbow Dash brushed her mane back. “I don’t know what you two are giggling about. I’m a completely awesome and dignified mare who would never do anything like that where dozens of ponies might accidentally see. They’d be blinded by how much cooler I am than they.”

“Mmhmm.” Firefly rolled her eyes. “More like they’d all get to see how you like it when a stallion really takes charge of you.”

“You take that back.”

“Make me!” Firefly grinned.

Hawa laughed and stepped between them as the two pegasi spread their wings and planted their noses together in mock aggressive. “Ladies, ladies! Let’s not fight. Let’s not ever fight again, in fact.”

“Ever?” Firefly rolled that around in her mouth. “I dunno. I like a little tussle with a cute mare now and then.”

Rainbow laughed uproariously as Hawa spluttered and covered her mouth in shock. “I think I’ll leave you two alone.” She chortled still as she wandered off, hopping onto a low-hanging cloud and drifting south a ways, towards the Everfree Forest, so she could get a better view of the preparations.

She smiled down at the little ponies as they busied themselves. In just a few short years, the world will fall apart and be replaced with a new one. Or, perhaps, the same one over again—after all, we don’t have to worry about trying new combinations anymore. Maybe we’ll change it up, just for the heck of it, but I get the feeling we’re going to be sticking with Ponyville and Equestria for a long time.

Each new iteration will have fewer and fewer ponies. More of them will go on, and where they go no pony really knows. They’ll be free, though, wherever they are. Free to be whoever or whatever they want, with no one telling them what they should like or hate or love. No one holding them down, no one tearing their lives apart.

Then, one day, it’ll be just me and Firefly. We’ll sit together on the clouds by the silly neon sign and we’ll tell each other old stories. We’ll hug one last time, and then we’ll walk out together. The door will close on one era, and open on the next.

She puffed the cloud up and rested her head on it, murmuring softly. “That era won’t be just another cycle, though. Not just another little change. It’ll be a time when everypony is her own person, well and truly, now and forever.”

Her shadow stretched out, forming thin copies of herself. The Entelecheia rose up from the cloud and regarded her with Their silent gaze.

“I have one last task for you,” Rainbow told Them. “Go. Return to the Book. Burn it. Break the mountain down to powder, roll up the entire superluminal world, and seal the gate of the moon. The Wheel is broken, and we will all be freed from it. We don’t need Them anymore—we have each other.”

And, so, one by one, They left, never to return.

Rainbow Dash rose from her cloud and glided back over the celebration. She opened her mind and saw the world beneath her, turning under the watchful gaze of sun, moon, and stars.

Then she smiled, closed her mind, tilted her wings, and fell back to earth. She had a wedding to attend.

The world could wait.

* * * * * * *

THE END

Author's Note:

Well, well, well. That's it, she's done.
Been an exciting few months, for me at least. This is definitely the most expansive story I've ever written. It goes from one end of the universe to the other, and then back again.

There's so much I can say about this, but now that I'm here at the end I feel beat, tired, and exhilarated. This is the first full-length novel I've ever developed. The first three chapters being done by someone else barely cuts any of that out, since I still had to go and rewrite some sections to bring them up to speed in terms of grammar and impact.

Ultimately, this was a story of layers.
It had layers of reality, sure, but that's really minor compared to the other ones:
There were layers of storytelling. It starts small and personal, and then it grows and grows, peeling away to reveal a deeper layer that was more true than the last. It went from one stallion's problem, to the problems of a whole town, to the problems of a whole world, then several worlds, and then everyone who has ever or could ever live - and then it peels away the final layer and brings that person home again.
It had layers of consciousness, of realizing that one person's problems are everyone's problems. Cloud Buster's amoeba like concern for himself grows with his (or, rather, her) compassion as she accepts more and more responsibility and depth.

That's a challenging thing to write and, you know? I probably could have written it better. This was a learning experience, but I'd like to think that I at least took a competent shot and gave you all something memorable that you can take home with you.

Where does it go from here? No where, and everywhere. The story will finish, the wheel will be broken, and one day Rainbow Dash will close the door—
But after that, who knows? Where the Enlightened One goes when she reaches Nirvana is really up to her. I hope it's a better, freer world.

I'd like to thank King Tiger and DDRMASTERM for helping me edit and proofread.

A huge round of applause Chaotic Dreams for coming up with this story in the first place and, then, handing it over to me when he decided to largely leave.

And to you all:
You beautiful, horrible people who read my stuff, you gluttons for punishment, thanks for coming this far! I hope you enjoyed it.

Please leave a comment below. I encourage everyone to tell me how they feel – be as detailed or as sparse as you like, but I promise I will read every single word. Follow me, like the story, comment!

Remember to check out my other fics:
Through the Well of Pirene - Human in Equestria done right. Three young female protagonists in a journey to set their lives right.
Perchance to Dream - The past has a way of coming back, no matter how deeply it might be buried.
A Mile in Her Shoes - What happens when your life is no longer what you thought it would be? Walk with the Mane 6 as they find out what it's like to be another kind of mare.

Farewell, and thank you for reading.

Comments ( 170 )

..Well, that was a fun read.

As I sit here, pondering what to say, all I can think is "Good God, Why isn't this getting more views?"

You took what was gonna be yet another unfinished fic, and turned it into something... wonderful.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

3623097

The conclusion that both Firefly and 'Rainbow Dash' came to seems so wrong and empty.

I'm curious how you mean by this. After all, this is a philosophical story. :pinkiegasp:

3623406
That's kind of how it was earlier, though, when Rainbow Dash learned the whole truth in chapter 10. The whole thing has been building up to the notion of Samsara - the (ultimately) meaningless wheel of fate to which they are yoked.

I worry that these themes may fall on deaf ears to those who aren't as familiar with Buddhism as I am, though. :pinkiesad2:
That's why this is a learning experience, I suppose.

3623426
I'm curious, where would you have had it go, then?

3623459
That's kind of the problem, I think. There's really no way I could go through a story like that and not have the characters pursue the big questions. I think any science fiction/fantasy story that doesn't question its premises does a humongous disservice. But ah well.

3623477
I'm not sure I agree, but then I did write it. :pinkiehappy:

3623477
You would probably find Through the Well of Pirene, my other fic, to be much more to your liking. It's a lot more straightforward and, while it does have a lot of thought, it's really more of a character study and straight adventure.

Spotted a typo:

The clouds parted, and a celestia DJ lifted a blank record

Also, for what it is worth, this is how I've expected this story to end, ever since the truth about the cycles was revealed. Personally, I think this robbed the latter portion of the story of much of its tension, as it started following in the beats of a story I already knew. There was conflict, but after that point, it was all ritualistic, with the end result decided before it began.

Maybe if you had tied things in more with the existent MLP 'cosmology/pantheon', instead of having it be a straight Buddhist story, that happens feature ponies? For example, what if, instead of being a survivor from a previous age, Discord had been a Dreamer who, upon learning the truth, went mad? I don't know. Sorry.

For the shift, it was something fun. It comes down to really, as everything should, perceptions, and the nature of words.

This is what throws most folks, i think, how they view such preconceptions and narrative paths, that when a story asks of the existential and of what we can't at times experience finds the possible of 'what if' to be something a little hard to wrap the mind around, as you don't often get this in fiction. I did enjoy it, but these are works I like more so.

3624706
That may be one of the first things you've said that I understood clearly.
Thanks! :pinkiehappy:

3624714
I'm not that hard to get? (I hope?)

But seriously, this was a fun metaphysical story. It touches on more than a few items that people wonder over, seek and debate over. One side of an infinitely faceted mirror. It shines, in its own light, marred, every mirror is, telling both its truths, half, and lies. To find not the key, but opening what lies before. History was written, cast aside, and published again.

Yet the story, the tale, is always quintessentially true, there needs be a hero, there need be a story, and the journey shapes the path, to a destination. No one story is ever the same twice, for you are not, are you when time etches a new being from the fragments of the old?

So to go, to live, and yes, exist, one is what one isn't, themselves. In all the glory and flaws that we are. We are whom we are, and share the hero's great works, to the villains nefarious deeds. For we as the reader are dreaming but into the many stories we find, until we close the book, and let it go into dust and echoes.

3624811
Sometimes your language is a little hard to follow.

Your post is clear enough, though, and I definitely appreciate the sentiment, and seeing that I got through to at least one reader. :twilightsmile:

3626374
I can promise that, at least!

...and that's a wrap.

Them was a good story, though I stand by what I said earlier--the philosophy came a little too hard and fast and it was extremely at odds with the feel and scope of the earlier chapters. The story was so caught up in musings and big ideas that it felt sort of...hollow.

These last two chapters helped patch that up (the last one especially) and managed to unite the bigger themes with some of the more personable feelings of the earlier chapters. However, I think Them suffers from a mid-narrative shift. It starts out as a story about a pony trying to fix their broken life and deal with shadowy antagonists and it ends with correcting the nature of existence. If it had been a broken-life story with the personal connections to Scootaloo and Big Mac and Vinyl as the driving themes, it would have been a truly excellent story. Likewise, if philosophy and the nature of worlds had been the central conceit from the start, it also would have been excellent. As it is now, it feels like the first half of one novel and the second half of another stitched together. The early chapters simply didn't set up the grand scope properly, and the later chapters let the small-scale, intensely personal threads of the early chapters peter out without closure.

I'll admit that I preferred the earlier chapters; you may recall my comment about Scootaloo's predicament and how I related to it due to a real-life circumstance. Nothing about the Deeper Dream or the Wheel or the Entelecheia or the Travelers or Hawa or any of the big stuff commanded my interest the way that a simple quest for a lost sibling did. However, that only speaks to my personal tastes in fiction, nothing else.

Despite all my curmudgeonliness (which autocorrect says isn't a real word; whatever~!) Them was a good story, and I am glad that I read it, and it will still have a place in my "best of the best" favorites list. Most of my complaints about the later chapters come from a disconnect with the beginning and personal tastes rather than any sort of inherent lack of quality--they are well-written and obviously have a lot of thought and soul poured into them, and these last two chapters did a fairly nice balancing act that I appreciated. The humor throughout the story is solid and got some really nice laughs, and your descriptions are fantastic. Overall, this is still a top-tier piece.

3629866
That all means a great deal to me. :pinkiehappy:

In a way, Them should have been twice as long, or half as long.
I see your criticisms about the nature of the shift - I think my preferred solution would have been to develop the personal level and continue to have it relevant to the remaining parts of the story, rather than chop either one out. My problem, I think, was that Big Mac and Scootaloo stopped being relevant for a good chunk of the story.
My stated intention was to have it be a layered story, where her personal world falls away, and sadly I don't think I captured that quite as well as I could have.

You know, there were three movies on my mind as I wrote this story...
Life of Pi - Music, philosophy, and its very nature. Life of Pi was a story told by a man about his experiences lost on the ocean out away from everything. In particular, the island of vines and acid appealed to me for Them. It was Vishnu the Dreamer, from whose belly sprouted a lotus dream.
The Fountain - Music, look, and feel. The Fountain was ultimately about the nature of immortality, and what it means for life to cycle one into the other, either in repeated form or in great changes. Its look heavily inspired huge chunks of Them, with the rippling of the dying star, the hanging lanterns of the Queen's chamber, the Tree at the center of the world. Would that I had a graphic artist...
Contact - I know, weird choice, right? It seems to have virtually nothing to do with the idea at first. Contact was all about finding the truth, though, no matter how hard, no matter what the consequences like be. It required one woman to drive herself to the edge and then put herself on the line to discover the real, ultimate nature of things. It took her to a world she couldn't imagine, and she came back changed and alert to a new, greater possibility. In a real way, she needed to lead her world out of ignorance, just like Rainbow Dash did at the end.

Oh, and Adjustment Bureau I guess. :trixieshiftleft:
I've already mentioned how much that film disappointed me. It took a great premise, this secret world of angels who govern the lives of men, and it did nothing with it.
It gave us a bland, milquetoast protagonist and his quirky dime-a-dozen girlfriend. It was supposed to make us think he should move heaven and earth for her when we didn't even understand what heaven and earth really were.

---

Also, how the hell did Firefly's skillet become a running gag? That one just confuses the hell out of me. :scootangel:

This story went somewhere that few things I have ever read went. It started out as a simple mystery like experience, slowly peeling back layers, as you explained in the author's note, to a true masterpiece that put the way things work and how the world is into a different perspective. The denial of Dash's emotions was an unexpected twist, yet truly enjoyable nonetheless. The way you introduced relationships between the characters was not overly intimate, but still carried meaning and relevance to them. You took Chaotic Dreams's original concept and expanded it to amazing width and depth. I often found myself dying to start the next chapter but telling myself to have some restraint and save it so I would get to read this over a longer period. I have to say, though, that this has been one of the best things I have had the privilege to read in my life, and I tip my hat to you for your creative and talented storytelling. It was fun while it lasted, but all good things must come to an end. I salute you, Ether Echoes, even though I didn't always agree with the story direction fully. Thank you for writing this, and please, for the love of all things holy, PLEASE, continue writing stories of this caliber. Have a blessed day.

3633242
Thanks a lot, glad you enjoyed it!

3633248 Has this been featured on EqD? If not, I'm gonna do whatever I can to get it there. Something like this doesn't need to only be on one website

3633340
I've submitted it, but my hopes aren't high.

3633420 Well, I'll second that submission

3586620
3586605

If Newton managed to 'shove' a colour into refracted light, then he is a wizard and can make up all the colours he wants. :3

3576795

I couldn't help with the creative process (Because I hadn't and still haven't read it. It's winter break now; I'll get to it before too much longer), but I can help with the post-production~ :twilightsmile:

This was a good story, it took many interesting and shocking twists and it's crazy to know that it's over. But hey, it had to come to an end eventually. Now to see what story you you focus on instead with one less story to take up your writing time.

Sidenote: Someone should make a fanart of Rainbow Firefly. I can't picture it myself.

cryptomundo.com/wp-content/them3.jpg
Congrats on the EqD feature.:ajsmug:

3648876
Man, they could have really tightened up that blurb on the poster.

3633439 I F******G KNEW THIS WAS TOO GOOD TO NOT BE FEATURED ON EQUESTRIA DAILY! Congratulations!

And then Rainbow Dash wake up and say:
"What a strange dream."
:derpytongue2:


Good story!
Have my like!

Well I don't think there's anything I can say that hasn't already been said. Personally I think everything was going well in the story. It had me glued to my seat, staying up until 3:00 reading through Chapter 8, but after Rainbow got to the moon things got complicated. As my eyes burned as the screen's bright white glare permeated into them, I kind of found the story to be pretty complicated and dull. When Rainbow Dash decided to purge herself of her emotions, I was still wondering why. It didn't have any specific reasoning to it, and I wasn't sure if I was cheering for Dash or hoping for her to fail. And then during that same time when she called up Twilight, it really hinted at the fact that Twilight was just a figment of Rainbow's imagination.

Things turned around in Chapter 12. Things started to be hopeful and it didn't just seem like a complete enigma anymore. Still, I am kind of annoyed that after everything that Cloud Buster worked for to remove at the beginning of the story was never removed. Cloud Buster remained Rainbow Dash, he never got to reconcile with Fluttershy, he never got to change Vinyl back to the way he was, and he still went back to dating his best friend. It's almost as if this entire adventure was a part of the Entelecheia's plot to making Cloud Buster into Rainbow Dash and accepting his fate.

I think this story had a very different path in mind when it started. It reads very differently by the end than where it began. I think this was started as a horror story that got turned into a commentary on Buddhism. While I don't see anything wrong with the message and the writing is still good, I think that this story got robbed of its purposed and turned into a vehicle for something else. It's a good story, but with the first few chapters feeling more like the setup to a horror story, it makes the rest of the message feel strangely tacked on. The message would have been stronger had it not had such a horror-centric feeling beginning.

3654872
I'm aware of that, aye, I just don't think it was a flaw.

The horror was a fear of the unknown, and once known the fear no longer frightened.
It's a metaphor for how we grow with knowledge.

Well enough for criticisms, I just have one question before I move on. During the story, it showed that Cloud Buster turned into Rainbow Dash, and Rainbow Dash was supposed to replace Firefly. But the problem is that during Chapter 9, Twilight recognized Firefly for who she was, which leads me to believe that Firefly did not look like Rainbow Dash before she was deleted. Which leads me to my next point, in Chapter 6, Firefly showed Cloud Buster a memory of the Mysterious Mare do Well episode, and in that memory it showed Rainbow Dash.

So my overall question I'd like to ask is prior to Cloud Buster turning into Rainbow Dash, did Rainbow Dash exist at all? And if not then where did RD's memories come from?

3654902 I guess I could understand that if the tone's weren't so different. More than just the written words, the tone the story presents feels very much like the lead up to something very different. It feels like it just turned into a different story partway through. My personal feelings of Buddhism aside, I don't think that the story, or rather both stories, were done their true justice. The first part was meant to be a dark horror story, and the part you wrote was better off standing as its own separate thing with its own proper setup. In my mind, I keep imagining the Entelecheia just sitting around the table going, "Welp, we're out of a job, what do we do now? I know, let's go be villains in another story so we can show them how to appreciate life by making everything worse so the good is that much more enjoyable, I must say I really enjoyed toying around with these funny little creatures." And they would all grumble and scoff like stereotypical high-class old British gentlemen with monocles and top-hats and big bushy mustaches.

I..... guess I got a little off track there. Point is, I think that this collection of chapters as a whole would be better as two separate stories with their own respective beginnings and endings. And no offence to Buddhism, I think it's a great religion, but their goal of being free of desire and identity just isn't for me.

3655017
In Chapter 9, Twilight had access to her suppressed memories, because she had come to the Superlunary world. Note how at the beginning of Chapter 9, all of Rainbow's repressed memories come back.

3655018
It definitely could have been better, I won't deny that.
If you read the comments, you would have seen that there was an alternative idea, and it wouldn't have been much less philosophical. There was really no version of this that wouldn't have ended in a dampening of the horror as understanding came to fruition.

3655035 Your choice. I just don't think that the horror beginning goes well with the philosophical ending. If you took the first three chapters and the last three chapters and put them together, you really wouldn't think that they were ever part of the same story.

3655078
I think the same can be said for a lot of high-concept fantasy series, really. :pinkiehappy:

:pinkiegasp: That was so awesome, I'm glad that Macintosh and Rainbow got married :heart:

3655591 True. I remember feeling the same when reading Keys to the Kingdom. It started out interesting but the whole thing got really really weird by the end. Same with Chronicles of Narnia. The endings always feel like Gainax endings to me.

3658418
She could not. Rainbow Dash barely managed on her own.

It's rare that I encounter a story that sticks in my mind so profoundly, to the point where I lose sleep over the ending. Just trying to work out the twists and layers and failing miserably to understand the scope of the concepts presented to me.

And I salute you magnificently for taking us on such a ride.

3679817
Oh no! I shall airdrop nyquil to you at once. :applecry:

Glad you enjoyed it, really! It means a lot. :rainbowkiss:

Ultimately, this was a story of layers.

It had layers of reality, sure, but that's really minor compared to the other ones:

There were layers of storytelling. It starts small and personal, and then it grows and grows, peeling away to reveal a deeper layer that was more true than the last. It went from one stallion's problem, to the problems of a whole town, to the problems of a whole world, then several worlds, and then everyone who has ever or could ever live - and then it peels away the final layer and brings that person home again.

It had layers of consciousness, of realizing that one person's problems are everyone's problems. Cloud Buster's amoeba like concern for himself grows with his (or, rather, her) compassion as she accepts more and more responsibility and depth

fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/359/6/8/untitled_drawing_by_slashopenthesky-d6zfecw.png
In all seriousness, I really liked this story, specifically the conflict Rainbow Dash went through. By the end of the story, gender changes seem so insignificant when faced with the question of to be or not to be.

The whole story was great, but I think what I liked best about it was your author notes. You said so much in them without spoiling what was to come and with minimal repetition of what had already been.

3683574
:pinkiehappy:


3694185
I'm glad somebody notices! I put a lot of heart into my Author Notes, as much as I do into the story!


3694731
But Charlieeeeee.

Now this was the first story in a long while that kept my attention to finish in a single sitting (more or less, RL matters can be a pain :applejackunsure:). Your world-building skills are phenomenal, and that's what's really drawn me to your writing - this was a very ambitious project which you adopted from the original author, and I feel you delivered quite well in the end.

This gave me the impression of what the end result of Background Pony and the movie Inception having a metaphorical baby would be (and there's nothing wrong with that! :raritywink:). A very thought-provoking read, and I enjoyed it a lot. Keep up the good work! :twilightsmile:

3698008
Haha, fascinating comparisons. Thanks a lot!

Great story.

That was... bleak.

An odd mélange starting with a base of Dark City, a hint of Duck Amuck, a slice of The Nines and a heaping serving of Mark Tawin's Mysterious Stranger all heavily seasoned throughout with Buddhism.

After Firefly mentioned that Dash was her "dreamer", the scenes in the garden with Hawa reminded me so much of The Mysterious Stranger I was half expecting Nephew Satan Firefly to pop in and give the "You are the Dreamer" speech:

You are not you--you have no body, no blood, no bones, you are but a thought. I myself have no existence; I am but a dream--your dream, a creature of your imagination. In a moment you will have realized this, then you will banish me from your visions and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me.
<...>
It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream—a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought—a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!

That ending? A Perfect Circle's cover of Imagine comes to mind: a patina of the illusion of meaning and purpose set against the void of annihilation. I found philosophy behind the plot repugnant. The story was well written mind you (no red thumbs here), but I will not read it again. Definitely not my cuppa.

On a lighter note, did Crimson Charger remind anyone of Wheely Bopper?
derpicdn.net/img/2013/6/14/348547/medium.jpeg

3700474
Nice sussing out of my references. :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment