• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 2,897 Views, 39 Comments

I Miss Her - Yukito



Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon reflect on their time together with Babs Seed

  • ...
4
 39
 2,897

I Miss Her

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon walked together down the streets of Ponyville one morning, on their way to school, where they would have to suffer through five, boring classes, one of which included a test on the locations of Equestrian cities.

At least, on the way there, they could pass the time by talking about something that actually mattered. Like that new bracelet that Silver Spoon got from her aunt the other day. Or that new video game coming out next week. Or colts. Colts are always relevant.

It was when the two were passing by Roseluck’s flower shop, that a certain memory passed through Diamond Tiara’s mind, which the filly was forced to giggle at. Silver Spoon looked at her with intrigue.

“What’s so funny?” she asked.

Diamond Tiara shook her head. “Oh, nothing… I was just remembering the time we took Babs to that flower shop over there, and she had an allergic reaction to some of the flowers she sniffed.”

Silver Spoon giggled after remembering said event. “Yeah. Though, it wasn’t pretty funny at the time.”

“It was pretty scary,” Diamond Tiara admitted. “You were so worried about her, and Roseluck had to help us get her to a doctor, since we had no idea what to do!”

“Thank goodness it was nothing serious,” Silver Spoon said, followed by a sigh. The two fillies had stopped walking by now, and were both silently reminiscing about the times they spent with their former friend, Babs Seed. “… We did have some good times, didn’t we?”

Diamond Tiara nodded. “For being related to that Apple Bloom, she was pretty cool.” The pink filly looked over at the park to her right, and pointed a hoof at a nearby bench. “Remember when we were running through the park, and Babs tripped and sprained her ankle?”

“And we let her rest on that bench, while we fetched some ice-creams for the three of us.” Silver Spoon nodded. “Yeah, I remember.” Both fillies giggled. “Well, we did tell her that there was no need to rush.”

“Yeah. It takes, what, a day, to see all of Ponyville? But she insisted on seeing it all in an hour.”

“Silly filly, that one. Though she had some good ideas, every now and then.”

“Like how to mess with the blank flanks?” Diamond Tiara asked.

“That too, but like, whenever we were arguing over what to do next, she was always the one to help us reach a compromise.”

Diamond Tiara thought about it, and then recalled several times that that had happened. “Yeah… Sure beat the old method we used to settle things with.”

Silver Spoon noticed the Ponyville clock tower in the distance. “Hey, we should probably get going.”

Diamond Tiara also noticed the clock, and agreed. The two fillies continued walking for just a few more steps, before they came across a water fountain on the side of the street. “Hey, remember when we stopped to take a drink from here one day?”

“And then Babs put her hoof on the tap, spraying water all over us?” Silver Spoon shuddered. “How could I forget? But we totally got even with her.”

Diamond Tiara grinned at the memory. “Yeah, I’d say so. Took her forever to realise we’d drawn on her face. She walked around Ponyville looking like a clown for hours!”

Silver Spoon broke into laughter, soon followed by her friend. “And when she found out, she chased us all over the place, screaming about how she’d get her revenge!”

“Most exercise I’d ever gotten!” Diamond Tiara said, holding her stomach as it began to hurt from laughing so much. “Man, that was, like, the best week ever!”

“You’re telling me! A shame it had to… end…” Silver Spoons laughing stopped, and her face fell. ‘Darn it! I shouldn’t have mentioned that! The end is when… when…

Diamond Tiara also took to frowning, rather than smiling. “It ended… when she betrayed us.” Silver Spoon refused to say anything. She didn’t want to make things any worse. “… We had the best time ever. We had so much fun, and she told us that she enjoyed herself. She called us her best friends forever!”

“I know,” Silver Spoon said, leaning over and wrapping a foreleg around her friend. “I know, Diamond… I was shocked, too. Avoiding us was one thing, and I can understand her standing up for her cousin and her friends, but… to totally turn on us like that, when we only wanted to see her off…”

“Yeah, well, who needs her?!” Diamond Tiara shouted, her eyes glaring at the ground in anger. “We had fun before we met her! We can totally have fun now that she’s gone, too!”

“Totally,” Silver Spoon agreed, and took a step back to initiate their secret hoofshake. Diamond Tiara got the message, and joined in.

“Bump, bump, sugar-lump rump!”

Even though that was usually enough to make the two forget whatever stupid thing had got them down, today, it seemed to prove ineffective. The two fillies simply stared at each other for a few moments, neither one having the courage to say what was one both of their minds. Finally, Diamond Tiara couldn’t hold it in anymore.

“I miss her,” she said, in a weak voice. “Babs… I miss her so much…”

“… I miss her too,” Silver Spoon said, pulling her friend into a hug when she sensed tears starting to form in Diamond Tiara’s eyes. “I… I can’t forgive her for what she did, but… I just want things to be the way they were before.”

“Totally,” Diamond Tiara said, choking back a few sobs as more memories flooded her mind. “Like when we competed in that charity relay together.”

“Or when we went to the arcade, and she won like, a bazillion tickets?”

“Or when we went to Miss Pie’s party to welcome Babs to Ponyville.”

“Or when she came round to my place, and we had a tea party.” Silver Spoon giggled. “Took a while, but I think we finally hammered proper tables manners into her brain.”

“Even though she still slurped her tea whenever she drank.”

“You know, come to think of it, I think she did that on purpose. ‘Cause she knew it bothered us.”

Diamond Tiara giggled after a moment. “Yeah, probably.”

After sharing their hug for just a little bit longer, Silver Spoon looked back up at the Ponyville clock tower. “We should really get going. Before the bell rings.”

Silver Spoon pulled away from the hug, and offered her hoof to her friend. But Diamond Tiara didn’t take it. She instead looked back the way they had come from. “… Hey… wanna come round mine for a bit?”

Silver Spoon tilted her head in confusion. “You mean, after school?”

Diamond Tiara shook her head. “No. Now.”

“What?” Silver Spoon gasped. “You mean… playing hooky?” she added in a whisper, to make sure that nopony could hear her. Diamond Tiara nodded. “B-But, I’ve never done that before! And neither have you! Our parents would kill us if they found out!”

“It’s only one measly day,” Diamond Tiara said. “And, I just don’t really feel like going to school right now… I just wanna go home and read some comics, or play some video games, or something…” The pink filly looked at her friend with big, pleading eyes. “Please? I don’t want to be alone.”

Silver Spoon gulped, both from the eyes staring at her, pleading her to do something that she could never have the courage to do alone, and from the sad voice that accompanied the request. Eventually, Silver Spoon sighed, and offered her hoof once more. “Alright, Diamond. But just today.”

Diamond Tiara nodded. “Just today,” she said, accepting her friend’s hoof. The two turned around, and began to walk back the way that they had come from, ignoring the sounds of the school’s bell ringing behind them.

Comments ( 39 )

Sometimes I feel bad for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon:applejackunsure:

WOW! This is a side of those two that you NEVER see... Makes you realize that even those who come from completely different lives still have feelings, dreams and desires. And sometimes, they are not all that different from our own in all actuality.

The feels man, the feels :pinkiesad2:.

pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8751-Feels_Train.JPG
You authors need to stop making me feel bad for those two. Stop giving them depth dammit! :flutterrage: [1]

By sheer coincidence, the radio decided to play "My FUCKING Immortal". I don't especially like Evanescence normally, but the timing, dear god, the timing.




[1] Don't actually stop giving them depth.

Because Tiara and Spoon with feelings are best Tiara and Spoon. Five Spikes::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

They too, learn that "Friendship is Magic."

Nnnope, I still hate them. :trollestia:

:fluttercry:
This is really showing the other sides of those two. You deserve your story's placement in the Diamond Cutters.

Awwwww I feel bad now.
P.S. Maybe you can read my story, "My Day In Ponyville"

The message of this story? Even jerks can learn that friendship is magic.
I liked that for such a short fic, that you kinda feel bad for the protagonists and they did go to the train station at the end of the episode to see their "friend" off. If Diamond and Silver were just using Babs, why go to the trouble of saying good bye? :pinkiesmile:

media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwsbegJUTf1qht847.gif

Man, why must you give me feels? :fluttercry:

Great little story. You get my like and fav. :ajsmug:

Damn, stop making me feel bad for them!:trollestia::raritydespair:

The more stories like this that I read, the more I keep thinking that we saw One Bad Apple from the wrong perspective.

Before I read... Babs, you are such a flip-flop.

After I read, Babs is such a flip-flop.

I like it when you find stories that show the other side. Most of the fics just ignore those two (and it is nearly impossible to find a new Twist fic) And the ones that don't usually have them as minor characters. One that doesn't is "a jewel of a problem" but be warned, the updates take awhile.

Back to the topic...

Comics and video games? I like these fillies.

2165828 This, you took out words out of my mouth.

Great writing, and I like your take on these two.

However, I feel like you're ending this one too early. It feels to me like you've found a good way to kick off a redemption plot with these two, but dropped it when it was starting to get interesting.

Hoping to see more of these, but either way, well done. :twilightsmile:

2167771
Just watch basically any scene with Diamond Tiara in it, you'll be back to normal in no time.

Choices have consequences, girls. This is the consequence of your choices. If you hadn't made Babs choose between her cousin and her friends, maybe this parting could have been avoided.

Interesting...we have both sides of the coin here. On the one side, they're still the same bullies we know them as in the show. On the other, we see their softer sides. It's not often we see this in stories featuring these two. I'll have to see about reading more of your works.

I like this. It was nice. Maybe 'redemption' isn't always the right path. Maybe they don't ever have to like each other. Who knows?

Very sweet and nicely characterized. I tend to think of DT and SS as rather sympathetic because they do come across as rather insecure. I also found the heel face turn of Babs to be a bit cruel so it was nice to see it from their POV.

:rainbowkiss:104 upvotes, 0 downvotes. That is the most magnificent rating I've ever seen.

:raritydespair: Oops, I jinxed it. This is the worst possible THING!

:moustache:Holy crap was Babs a bully for a week? I lost sense of time in the episode during the montage and the whole golden apple float thing but if Babs managed to keep up that bully act for a WHOLE week then she's definitly going to be a spy when she's older... 007 James Bond style! With a Vodka Martini for a cutie mark. Shaken, not Stirred.:eeyup:

So according to this fic.

Babs was a dick on camera, But in the fic's flashback moments it looks like she's being harmless

3037087 I am with you. I thought it was like two or three days but I guess I squeezed all that montage into those two or three days which seems rather harsh for them to be bullied that much.

But I don't think it WAS an act. Diamond and Silver were not influencing Babs in the least. If anything SHE was the boss of them.

They are amateur nasty little rich girls. Babs is the full picture of what bully truly is. both Vulgar and Violent.

I think she became a bully in Manehatten to keep from being a victim herself. It was NO act in Ponyville.. it came too natural for her. It had to be a practiced and well maintained persona.

You know it doesn't matter if it was a day or a week. Babs pisses me off for the way she dumped Diamond and Silver. She could have defended her cousin without threats and backing them into the mud.

I think they would have understood, or come to understand her POV in time, realizing that she cant be blamed for defending Bloom.

But I see Babs seed as not just a bully, she is also a coward, a hypocrite and a turn coat. First she stabs AB in the back for Silver and DT and then she turns on her new friends when they did nothing to provoke her.

Come to think of it as a filly Babs Seed is my least favorite pony.:flutterrage:

Silver Spoon is best pony and respects to DT.

3479791 Maybe but I truly think she was doing a huge act in that she was still very much on her guard. I actually watched this episode again today for the season 4 countdown and I saw so many examples of her trying her best to keep her persona going.

The biggest one I saw was when she takes over the club house and those rich brats do their little sugar lump rump chant thingy. When Babs joins in she covers up her blank flank with her tail! Something she does multiple times throughout the episode whenever a cutie mark is mentioned or DT and SS are around. And of course she knows how to bully, she's a victim herself! And who knows the best ways to bully someone than a victim of it?

Oh and there's a lot of fanfics of the Manehatten branch of the CMC! I like the ones with the turf wars with the other gangs!:twilightblush:

3482178 Hmm that sounds interesting. So Bab's actually makes a street gang out of the CMC?

Just because one is bullied doesn't mean they know how to. I was bullied most of my life and I never resorted to it nor would I know how.

Diamond and Silver are just your typical rich bad girls talking crap to everypony they meet because they think they are better.

I mean look how Bab's dumped SS and DT. Got up in their face, threatened them (as much as she could with AJ present) and then backed them into a mud puddle. I think she is naturally violent.

The closest DT got to being physical was in Ponyville Confidential where she pushed Dinky over and stole her paper. I think that was done without thinking but still it was a step closer to Babs level.

Silver Spoon has NEVER been physical nor has she been the instigator of verbal abuse. She just follows DT's lead. Which leads me to believe her heart isn't really in it.

3482320 Well yeah Silver Spoon is just following DT's lead and Babs was pretty violent. But I want to say that city life is a lot more dangerous and violent than country towns, whether they be pony or human inhabited so it makes sense Babs a bit physical. She knew that DT and SS wouldnt pull anything with Applejack right there so it was easy to punk them into the mud. Its just sad that she was bullied bad enough to need to leave manehatten. Ive been bullied too but it never got that bad... I just didnt care. and still dont. It takes alot to start to tick me off and Id give a lot to pass that back to mini me a few years back.

I personally think that Babs was being no better then DT when she pushed them into the mud. I used to hate DT and SS, but now they seem like good characters as I got deeper into the fandom. But you know what they say,

If you can't beat them, join them.

As I write this I realized this doesn't make sense and is very little related to the story.

It would be entertaining if Babs came back, and acted like a bully hunter to Diamond and Silver, and only found out later after she'd tormented them that they'd reformed.

This is one of hidden gems on this site.

Good job on this! 👍 👍 👍

Login or register to comment