• Published 28th Feb 2013
  • 604 Views, 24 Comments

Aslumber (Sanquil Version) - Sanquil



Sleep, my subjects, sleep. You all belong to me now.

  • ...
1
 24
 604

The End of the Dream King's Tyranny

"So, this is how it all ends? You and your friends strike me down and re-banish me to the Dream Realm?" The King locked eyes with the Princess of the Night, Luna. A smile played on his face, despite the coming turmoil of failing in his plan and the fact he will be alone once more. There was nothing for him to be smiling about, but he still did.

"Dream Weaver," Luna spoke regally, her face stern. "I have come to take Equestria back from your hooves. I hope you've thought about my proposal."

Dipping his head, Weaver's smile faded. He had thought about it. Quite a lot, actually. The chance at a new start. Who could pass that up? The only thing holding him back was himself.

"As I've told you," He replied, "The darkness in my heart is too great for something as trivial as friendship to banish. It would never work."

"You are like me, then." Twilight spoke up, stepping forward. "When I first arrived in Ponyville, friendship wasn't on my agenda of things I considered imperative to do to stop Nightmare Moon."

Luna nodded, agreeing. "Correct. If it wasn't for friendship, I wouldn't be here. I would still be Nightmare Moon. With the power of friendship, these six ponies conquered, trapped, and reformed Discord, the God of Chaos. Friendship is a powerful force."

"I don't think..."

"Give it a chance." Luna cut him off. "Please Dream Weaver, you deserve better than this."

Weaver stood there, gazing at the seven ponies in front of him. They were his enemies, but they weren't. They were working to stop him, but at the same time, help him. He contemplated their proposal. He made his decision.

"Okay." He said finally, meeting all of their eyes. "I'll give friendship a shot.

Several hours later, Dream Weaver stood in the royal throne room inside the Canterlot Castle. Stained glass windows lined the walls, depicting scenes of great accomplishment through friendship. A new one had already made it's debut, showing Princess Luna and the Mane Six talking to the Dream King, convincing him to leave and release Equestria from his spell. As Dream Weaver gazed around the room, his eyes lingered on that particular one.

To work around the fact that Dream Weaver's original body had withered, Twilight used a spell constructed by Weaver himself to bring the mental image of a pony into the real world. The reason Dream Weaver himself could not cast it is because it has to be used from outside the Dream Realm. His attention was redirected when the Princess of the Sun, Celestia, addressed him for the second time in his prolonged lifetime.

"Dream Weaver." Her voice matched that of Luna's. "Your crimes against ponykind are unforgettable. Even after your previous banishment for the deaths of many innocent ponies, you didn't stop. You manipulated several ponies and used your dream magic to trap all of Equestria inside the very land that you were banished to."

After hearing all this, Weaver shank back, the reality of it all crushing him. He knew what he had done over five hundred years ago, and recently, but hearing it spoke in such a way hurt more than eternal lone banishment.

"Even after all that, though," Luna spoke up, "We have entertained the notion of releasing you, hence why you stand here now."

"Yes." Celestia concurred. "Even though we will never forget what you've done, you shall be forgiven. You shall be released from your previous punishment..."

"And your recent misdeed shall go unpunished." Luna interjected.

He nearly collapsed. The thought that he would be allowed to live again lifted his spirits, but only for a second. A shattering realization came to him. He confronted the Princesses with it.

"My ladies," He spoke, bowing. "as much as I would like to accept your gifts, I cannot." This took them as much as himself by surprise.

"Why not, Dream Weaver?" Luna spoke, worried.

"Darkness still remains in my heart, and I can feel it festering inside, biding it's time." He elaborated, sadness showing through. "I don't want this darkness reaching into the hearts of other ponies. Even after I was blasted by the power of friendship from the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony, it remains. There is no stopping it."

Celestia looked concerned, but smiled. "My little pony," She said to Dream Weaver, flying down to put a hoof on his shoulder, "you act as if there isn't darkness inside all of us. Even I have my evil. It doesn't stop me from being a good pony."

"It is true, Dream Weaver." Luna concluded. "Though Nightmare Moon was banished and I was able to regain control, it doesn't mean that evil is forever gone."

Something clicked in Weaver's head, setting off a spark. He realized what they were saying, knowing to be truth. "Okay. I understand now. I thank you for all you two have done."

"We aren't done yet," Celestia spoke, locking eyes with Dream Weaver. "We want to offer you a job here in Canterlot."

"Why me?" He asked, perplexed.

"Because you are quite a powerful unicorn, and the only one besides Twilight Sparkle and myself able to use dream magic." Luna explained.

"I think you could teach my Twilight quite a few things that neither Luna nor myself could teach her. Not to mention, there are no records of your dream magic in the Canterlot library, and only you know your spells."

"I thank you," Dream Weaver replied, "but I don't think I can do what you expect of me."

"Would you stop trying to sell yourself short of your true potential? You managed all of Equestria while constantly maintaining a spell to hold them, myself included." Celestia plead to Dream Weaver. "You'll make a fine scribe and mentor."

"Thank you." Dream Weaver looked to both of them, crying. He had finally proven his father wrong. He was more than a failure and a murderer and a kidnapper. He lived up to his mother's expectations of him doing something great. For once, he was happy.

Dream Weaver left the castle an hour later, after discussing housing with the Princesses. He went to go find Twilight Sparkle. He still had them to thank.

"Remind me why we're waitin' here in the rain?" Applejack asked Twilight as she floated umbrellas over all of them.

"I told Dream Weaver to come meet us here after he spoke with Princess Celestia." She replied. "Ah, there he is."

"What's he doing?" Rarity questioned as she watched Dream Weaver just stand out in the rain, letting himself get soaked. Finally, he trotted over.

"Hey," He said as he approached the six ponies. "thank you for staying, even though it's raining."

"I told you to meet us..." Twilight was cut off.

"Why were you standing out in the rain?" Rarity interjected, obviously missing the joy Dream Weaver felt from getting wet for no reason.

"You wouldn't understand, Rarity." He responded. "I was imprisoned in the Dream Realm for over five hundred years. I never got to feel anything, let alone the rain. It felt nice to feel it hit my face. To know that I'm finally free."

"So," Twilight said, returning to what she was saying originally, "how'd it go? Hopefully the punishment isn't too harsh."

"Oh, it's just TERRIBLE!" He responded, pulling a luxurious lounging chair out of nowhere and falling on it, dramatically. Everypony snickered except Rarity, obviously annoyed by his impersonation of her.

"I'm just kidding," He said, removing the chair, "I'm not being punished. In fact, Princess Celestia offered me a job as a Canterlot scribe and your part time mentor."

"My... mentor?" She stared at him in disbelief.

"Yes." He answered her, smiling. "Apparently, you have the capability of learning pretty much every spell thrown your way, so Celestia wants me to teach you my dream spells before, after, or while I transcribe them."

"Well, you were let off easy." Twilight smiled. "I'm looking forward to your lessons."

Later that night, Dream Weaver was sitting in his house, sipping hot cocoa while he wrote down his spells. He yawned, stretching.

"Huh?" He said, confused. He looked to his back. "Oh." He smiled, shaking his head. "I forgot, I don't have wings anymore. Oh well. Maybe Twilight can teach me to teleport."

He returned to his transcribing, happy to finally have friends and a life. He may not be immortal, but at least now he's loved and not despised.

Comments ( 2 )

Excellent ending chapter!! :pinkiehappy: I loved this story so much.

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more views.

Login or register to comment