• Published 28th Feb 2013
  • 604 Views, 24 Comments

Aslumber (Sanquil Version) - Sanquil



Sleep, my subjects, sleep. You all belong to me now.

  • ...
1
 24
 604

Making an Entrance

Twilight had arrived in Canterlot around noon. The train ride was short, but it felt as if it took an eternity. The only thing that she could think about during the ride was her nightmare. It was a recurring one, coming every night for weeks now. She knew it had been a dream by the third time she had, but she had no control over it, as if it weren't her own, but somepony else's dream.

In the dream, she was walking through the Canterlot gardens. The moon shone overhead, it's face giving off the light by which Twilight used to see. Something is troubling her, but she didn't know what. The ground is littered with inscriptions of some weird language. She doesn't know what the characters are, yet she knows exactly what they mean. She approaches one symbol in particular. Something about this one is special, but she can't put her hoof on it.

She reaches out with her hoof and touches it. Suddenly, the moon is blocked out, making it impossible to see. The symbol starts to glow, and just as suddenly as it started, it ends. Twilight thinks that it's over, but then a white beam shoots out of the symbol. More start to glow, and they all do the same. A chill covers Twilight abruptly, and leaves her rigid with fright.

For minutes, nothing happens. Then, from all around, a voice is heard. The voice laughs a mephistophelian laugh, filling the silent air with corrupt thoughts. In a deep and dark voice, the disembodied voice speaks.

"Thank you," It says to Twilight, "foolish pony for setting me free." At that point, Twilight awakes in a cold sweat, panting hard.

Twilight rounded the corner and trotted up to the gates of the Canterlot Castle. She expected to be stopped at the gate by some guards, but to her surprise, Luna is there, waiting for her. Advancing up to Luna, Twilight noticed that the princess of the night looked just as troubled as her.

"Twilight Sparkle," Princess Luna spoke with authority, "if you would please accompany me on a trip around the grounds."

As the two walked, Luna explained to Twilight that she knew what kind of dreams Twilight had been having recently. Luna also revealed that she was not the only mare having these freak nightmares, and that the source of the evil was unknown, even to the princess of the night.

"You see, Twilight Sparkle," Luna said, "these dreams are not of your own mind's doing. They are the product of an incredible evil. We ask that you proceed with your plans cautiously."

"Well, you see princess," Twilight responded, "I need you to shed some light on the ingredient list for my spell." Twilight removed the book from her saddlebags and gave it to Luna. The princess of the night looked over the pages that Twilight had shown her. After reading the spell's instructions and the required ingredients to it, she grew fearful.

"Twilight Sparkle," Luna spoke, "I must ask you to not preform this spell. It deals with dream magic not of this realm. Whoever created this spell was not of pure intent."

"Princess," Twilight interrupted, "do you know who created this spell? If it is so evil, why was it printed into a book that anypony could get their hooves on?" Twilight took the book back from Luna. The entire situation seemed unreal.

"I know not of who wrote the spell, but it's power is too much for our world to take. Do not, under any circumstance, use this spell." Luna gave Twilight her final warning.

As Twilight left the gardens, she knew something was going to go so wrong, she just didn't know what. To be honest, she was rather disappointed. She was looking forward to trying a new spell that would solve her problems with her recurring nightmare. Either way, it was getting dark, and the gift shop was closed. Looked as if she was staying in Canterlot for the night. Twilight did not dream for what part of the night she did sleep.

Twilight awoke suddenly. She observed her surroundings through squinted, tired eyes. The first thing she noticed were the plants. She stood, and took a better look at her surroundings. She was in the Canterlot Gardens. The ground was littered with strange inscriptions draw with chalk.

"How..." She was too stunned to speak. Everything looked like it did in her dreams. All the inscriptions were correct, and in the right places. The moon shone brightly overhead.

"No." Twilight said. "I will not fall for this. Luna gave me specific instructions to not activate this spell." As she mad her way to leave, she saw the shadow of a pony dart past her, making it's way to the symbol that activates it. "Wait!"

Twilight bound after it, intent on catching the intruder before it activated the spell. Closing in on the shadow, she leaped with all her might towards the figure. As she touched it with her hooves, it vanished, disappearing into the night. Twilight looked down at her hooves.

"Oh no." Beneath her hooves where she had banished the specter the inscription was right under her left hoof. It started to glow. It glowed brightly for several seconds, and then all of a sudden, shut off.

Twilight turned tail and tried to run, but was stopped by the fright catching her. She stood paralyzed, unable to anything but listen to humming of the glyphs. The wind picked up, and the moon was blocked out.

"Ha ha ha." The voice, darker in life, howled. "A-ha ha ha ha! Finally, I am free." Twilight wanted nothing more than to awake from this nightmare, except it wasn't a nightmare. "Thank you, foolish unicorn. Now that I am free, your world will be mine, and no pony can stop me. Now, sleep, my pony, sleep."