• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 1,778 Views, 64 Comments

Uprising - John 117



Luna has been back for a month now since the events of Nightmare Moon, but will she need some help with events to come?

  • ...
6
 64
 1,778

Chapter 8: Fighting Now Would be a Bad Idea

Cries of anguish and fear went up all over Canterlot as the black silhouette of a dragon went over the petrified city. People ran for their loved ones and their homes, locking themselves in and hoping they guard would do what they’re supposed to. The dragon just flew on casually, his mere presence driving ponies away from him. It hadn’t always been so. Durgomoth was once loved by them, the little ones running around him and crying with joy and cheer. They would even brave his spines and crawl on top of him, with the watchful parents close by of course. But these were not those ponies. Time had passed, and he seemed to only be a distant memory in a history forgotten. Dur wanted to mend that; he wished for the cheers of joy children gave out when they saw him. But first…he had to show he wasn’t a threat to the state. He circled around the keep, waiting for his signal to land. A mental shout was thrown out from inside the castle, and Dur took much joy in hearing it.

Durgomoth! , Metiphus shouted through their mind-speech. They had been separated for a few months now, knowing that the presence of a dragon anywhere in Equestria would give rise to panic. HE was overjoyed to know that his rider and mind-partner was well; he had a knack for getting into trouble sometimes, but that came with being a rider. He circled around until he saw what looked like a trio of ponies walking out to the courtyard. Guards were shouting orders, and ballistae were loaded and aimed towards the dragon with fresh iron tips. They would glance off harmlessly from his scales, but still they could hurt.

Metiphus, you must call off the guard, or I will defend myself. I would not like my return to home to be an unhappy one.

Tia is on it Dur; give it a few minutes for the orders to circle through the ranks. The dragon gave a mental nod, and continued to circle in a steady manner, trying not to provoke the guards down below. They were holding steady, and he could see smaller runners going through the pony lines along the walls and battlements. Slowly, the ballistae and crossbows were lowered, but they didn’t leave their posts.

They still do not trust me I fear Met.

That can be fixed another time; for now, come down and meet everyone! You haven’t seen Tia in millennia for Maker’s sake! And so Durgomoth did. He angled his black lathery wings for him to come in at a gentle slope, and he slowly spiraled down, till he came to the courtyard. He landed with a loud THUD, the ground trembling around the mighty dragon. He opened his giant maw, pointing towards the sky he owned, and gave out a mighty roar to any who did not know of his presence, and let loose a small gulf of flames. Snapping his jaws shut, he turned his attention back down to the ground, where Met and two other ponies were walking up to him quickly. But they weren’t entirely who he expected.

Behind Met came Tia, dressed in a night gown and robe, her hair a slight mess. With her though, was a Pegasus he didn’t recognize. He was a sun-guard and was rather young looking. His mane was a light blue, as was his tail.

Met…who is this that you have brought? He is rather young, and looks inexperienced for what might come… Dur could feel the raw emotions coursing through Met’s mind, for their minds were linked not just by thought, but also by emotion and memory. Right now he could tell Met was a bit annoyed by Dur, and he chuckled lightly; a thunderous hum that came from his throat and everyone could feel. He then finally noticed the guards taking up positions around him in defensive positions. They were all armed with cross bows, and the unicorns among them had their magic charged and ready. Dur turned his attention to Tia, who had walked up close with a broad smile on her face. He nodded his head in a bow like way, and spoke to her through thought.

Good day, or should I say night, to you fair Princess. It has been a long while that I have seen you. You have not aged a day. She blushed lightly, and threw her arms around the dragon’s snout, confusing her guards around her. She lessened her grip and looked into Dur’s large silver eyes.

“I have missed you too, old friend.”

Old? I am in my prime dear Tia. Only 1,457 years by your count. Ney, I am yet to have reached what you two-legged-walkers would call, ‘old’.

“Whatever the case may be, or how ever old you are now, I’m glad to see you once again.” She hugged him once more and drew away when a hand went on her shoulder; Met stood behind her, smiling, but looking up at the larger being before him.

It’s good to see you again Met; I have been pondering over many things while we have been separated. Oh, and I have you’re, ah…weapon; the stick-that-kills-with-fire-and-metal.

Good! Luna wanted to…oh. Met noticed Durgomoth stiffen and look around, as if looking for something; or someone.

Where is she? He asked Met.

Dur… we need to talk about her.

Metiphus Stormson where is she?! Where is she who has captured our hearts? His head snaked down to face Met, and hot breath washed over his face. The Guard went on alert, aiming the bows and magic towards the duo. Met just stood there with a small frown and head downcast.

Dur….she doesn’t remember. Luna doesn’t remember us. Silence reigned between the two of them. Dur withdrew his head from Met’s space and stood still. Celestia looked between the two of them and gasped.

“Oh dear Maker, he told him.” She whispered.

Are…are you certain of this? Met nodded; a mental yell was thrown from Dur as he cried out from the news. Many covered their ears as if to block out noise, but it persisted. Met comforted his friend as best he could, but it only helped a little.

Years we have dreamed of this day Metiphus! Millennia! And now because of her curse she has forgotten us!

You think I haven’t felt this pain?! I have been here in her presence and have had to hide everything! Now is not the time for lamentations brother! First we must deal with the present situation and then we will discuss what to do after. Dur became quiet, and nodded his head. Met nodded, and motioned for Flash Sentry to walk towards him. Hesitantly, he did, keeping an eye on the mighty black dragon before him. He stopped next to Metiphus, who then put an arm around him and spook out loud this time.

“This is Flash Sentry, and I have done enough searching to know who and what I am looking for in help. He is exactly what we need.” Dur lowered his head once again to look closer at the Pegasus; he turned his head so a single silver eye bore down on him. He was no older than twenty three maybe, yet…….yes, he saw it. That spark of endurance and ingenuity. He was capable of great things if taught by the right minds of course. He brought his mind forth to the Pegasus, and was met with resistance. He persisted, and broke through the mind beerier, tearing through it like paper. A pained expression washed over his face, and he nearly feel, but was held up by Metiphus, who looked at Dur with a hint of anger.

My apologies Pegasus, but one must never defy a dragon when it seeks knowledge, especially when said dragon could be your teacher one day.

What’s with you dragon riders and invading pony’s minds? Met heard this and snorted.

How can we trust you if you have everything blocked out to us? The essence of a man, or in your case, stallion, is in his mind. It holds everything about who he is and what he is. It is key to know all so that we may understand you and trust you better; or would you rather us take weeks or months for our trust of you to grow naturally? Flash stood up, and shrugged off Met’s arm, who only frowned.

“My teachers where the same with me when they first found me; they had just ended a war, and were weary of me. They did not trust me as they do now, or as Dur and I now trust you.” Their conversation was cut short when the captain of the guard came forward and moved Flash out of the way, drawing a sword and pointing at Metiphus. Dur went on high alert, snaking his head slow towards the captain, growling deeply at him. Guards took up arms once again and pointed their weapons straight at them. Met pulled out his gun and held it up, pulling back on the hammer with his thumb and putting a hand on the hilt of his sword.

“Put away your weapons human, and call off your pet before we have to deal with it.”

Pet? Does this pony not know a dragon when he sees one?

“Not gonna happen there captain. How about you put your swords and bows away, and we can all settle this in a nice, quiet, not blood-shed type of conversation?” The captain pulled back on his blade as if to strike, but before he could continue the doors to the palace opened with a thunderous THUD over the silence of the courtyard, and all the guards turned to see Princess Luna walking outside, but her step faltering as she saw Durgomoth. She walked up to the two of them and put her hands on their weapons, before walking forward to Dur, who noticeably relaxed around her. He stood up straighter and looked down at her with warm eyes.

“I have never seen a creature such as you; you hold all of the wonders of the night sky on you like armor.”

Many have said such things Princess, but I find it most warming when words such as those come from people, or ponies in your case, like you. Luna smiled at the dragon and turned to look at Metiphus, then at the captain, then around at all the guards who had their weapons drawn and ready. She shook her head and spook once more to Dur.

“My apologies for our guard; they don’t seem to recognize a guest when they see one…” She blushed and turned towards her guards.

“Lower your weapons! Everypony! We have no reason to fear this dragon, or his rider! They are emissaries from another nation, and come in peace!” She slowly walked over to Met and spoke to him quietly, away from preying ears.

“This is your dragon, from the order you spoke of when you first arrived, yes?” He nodded. She looked back at the dragon that looked around towards the guards who were leaving, going back to their original duties before Dur had showed up.

“Good call on the emissary thing.” She smirked and nodded her head.

“I knew they’d listen to that; we’ve had emissaries from all sorts of places, who have had weirder things then dragons with them.” He nodded, somewhat curious about who or what had visited while he was gone, but that could wait. Right now, he needed to get all of his pieces set and ready.

Comments ( 6 )

>Chapter update
>"On Hiatus"

:rainbowhuh:

Met noticed Durgomoth stiffen and look around, as if looking for something; or someone.

Met heard this and snorted.

These are in italics when they shouldn't be.

Warning, this will contain antro-ponies.

Why not use the Anthro tag, then?

4227738

You are not the first person to tell me this; why have i not fixed this. :rainbowderp:

Any chance of getting this one continued? It was just getting good!

Love it hope it continues 😍

Login or register to comment