• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 1,778 Views, 64 Comments

Uprising - John 117



Luna has been back for a month now since the events of Nightmare Moon, but will she need some help with events to come?

  • ...
6
 64
 1,778

Chapter 6: New Friends

Flash Sentry walked down the halls of the quiet castle, keeping watch over his sector for anything that might be out of place. Marching quietly, his armor shifting lightly as he moved, he came to one of the many balconies that lined the higher sections of the castle. He became worried when he noticed it was opened. Jogging up to the balcony, Flash walked out to the ledge, looking around for any sign of an intruder; maybe a rope or ladder of sorts. A grappling hook?

No….it wouldn’t reach this far….

Quiet true my friend, but never leave the improbable out of thought. Flash stiffened and looked around. He began to try and close his mind, but it was forced back open by the stronger power. He struggled, but was beaten. He waited for what was to come; the sweeping of his memory, the total control of his mind, body, thoughts, and memories, but it never came. Instead the mind just kept it open, content in just being there inside his mind. For a bit, or what seemed like it, nothing happened, then the presence spook to him through his mind.

I see that you have some ability to defend yourself in a very difficult type of self-control. How interesting. Flash struggled, and noticed he still had the ability to respond.

All guards are trained in the defense of one’s mind. The presence seemed pleased with this, but then it noticed his will of resistance and took on a more apologetic tone.

I apologize for this whole thing between you and I; I just wished to have someone to talk to. I couldn’t sleep. Flash relaxed a bit. No harm in that, right?

Right you are my friend; and if you wish to see who it exactly is you’re talking to, then turn around and look up. Feeling the presence leave his mind, he began to turn around and look up, drawing out his sword from its hilt. What he saw confused him. A creature without wings, horns, or fur was sitting on the roof over the door frame, watching the night sky in complete bliss. In his mouth, for the creature looked male, was a smoking pipe. He worn a lose tunic, as well as long pants tucked into large brown boots. He had a long scabbard attached to his belt. Flash could smell the strong stench of fresh tobacco smoke, but seemed drawn to it. The creature smiled, noticing his gaze that was drawn to the pipe. He spoke a few words and a pipe was drawn from his side pocket in his trousers.

“How long has it been since you were able to get fresh tobacco weed?” Flash mumbled before answering him.

“A few weeks…my mare friend Twilight doesn’t like it, so she’s been trying to get me to quit.” The creature frowned.

“Pity; I find that a good smoke helps me relax and clear my mind. I’m Metiphus by the way. A human. I’m a secret guard hired by Luna. When this conversation is done you may go and ask her I this is true. I will have informed her by that time.” Flash raised his eye brows, and Met chuckled.

“Yes we exist my friend. Just…..we live a very long way away. Across oceans of sand and vast seas…..” He looked off again, as if to see past it all towards home. “My home….” He looked down and frowned, lost in his thoughts. Flash cleared his throat and beckoned him to join him on the roof.

“Come and enjoy the night with me…we have much to discuss and much to be learned.” Flash Sentry looked at him confused. Me…what for?

“Because I think you’re worthy to help me. I’ve looked at your records, and have been watching you for some time in the city. You are kind at heart, and have a good soul.” And you’re very adept at fighting with your mind, or at least defending it. Which is something I could use….Flash looked up at Met, confused beyond belief.

“All will be explained. You will be one of two to know in whole who I am.” Frowning slightly, Flash flew up next to him. Adjusting his sword’s scabbard, he sat next to him and took the pipe Met was offering him. Looking around, he saw no matches or lighter of any sort.

“Allow me.” With that, Met put his hand over the bowl of the pipe and muttered brisingr. The tobacco caught fire and Flash took a few puffs and blew out a large cloud of smoke, noticeably relaxing. They sat there for a bit, looking out towards the stars, smoking and enjoying company. Finally Met broke the silence and spoke.

“Flash Sentry, there are many things in this world unknown to you, but I will teach you as much as I can and show you all that I can, including my past, abet only small parts of it. Do you understand?” Flash nodded. Whatever this was, it was directly tied to the Princesses, the very people he swore to serve and protect.

“Yes, I do.” Met nodded and turn to face him more directly.

“Good.” Sighing, he searched his mind to find where to begin.

“I am a member of peace keepers called the Dragon Riders. We are a mix of elves and men who are learned in the ways of magic and war who ride great dragons, keeping the peace and acting as elders to all. We helped our land experience a golden age, with lasting peace and prosperity. That lasted for centuries until one of our own betrayed us. Galbatorix was a rider driven by grief and madness when he lost his own dragon. Turning against the Rider order, he drew close to him those who sought to rule the kingdom for themselves; men who craved power.” Sighing Met shifted and grabbed his sword’s hilt.

“They won the war with the use of magic unknown to you; I cannot go into detail on what it was for it is a secret only known to a few. For a century Galbatorix ruled, until a band of men known as the Varden stood against him and his tyranny. Using a rider by the name of Eragon who had only found his dragon and learned of what it would entail, they over threw Galbatorix and killed him, riding the land of his evil. Eragon, for his part, learned more on the ways of the Rider, and after the war with Galbatorix set out to rebuild the Rider’s order and regain the knowledge which was lost. That is where I come into play.” Met smiled, fond memories coming back to him. He told Flash some of his training and of Eragon himself, and his dragon Saphira Brightscales. He briefly mentioned his dragon, Durgomoth, saying that he would meet him soon enough. In many ways it was the best years of Met’s long life.

“During my training Dur and I went out on our own, trying to find a place to rest for a bit; Eragon had given us a reprieve from our studies. We came across Equestria, and I found Luna….” Flash coughed a bit, blowing smoke away from his mouth and coughing loudly.

“You…you knew Princess Luna?”

“Aye, we met a century before the Nightmare Moon incident. I was unfortunaly back with my studies when that happened; I was devastated… We were a couple Flash.” The shock struck home, and Flash looked over at Metiphus.

“I waited a thousand years for her, and she doesn’t remember who I am….So I need your help. I need your help to keep her safe with me. For I will try all I can to help her remember, and to win her back.” Nodding Flash looking away, thinking for a bit and blowing a few puffs of smoke out of the pipe. If any of this was true, Flash was talking to a very old being, one perhaps as old as the princesses, and almost as powerful. That is, if any of it was true. So how did Flash now if Met was lying to him or not?

“How do I know if any of this is true?” Met smiled and nodded his head.

“Good, you’re hesitant, as you should be. We will talk to Celestia tomorrow if you so wish. She remembers everything that happened, so she can confirm what I have said.” Flash nodded and took the pipe out of his mouth, blowing out a large smoke ring. Met the blew out a large formation of smoke, which took form into a soldier and ran through the circle into some un-for seen battle before dissipating into nothingness. Whoever this Metiphus pony was, he seemed nice enough, and if what he said was true, things would be getting interesting around the castle very quickly.

Author's Note:

In case you guys haven't figured it out yet, conversations will shift through physical conversations and those that take place in the mind very frequently. If this is of some inconvenience I apologise, but its how I see it.