• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 1,778 Views, 64 Comments

Uprising - John 117



Luna has been back for a month now since the events of Nightmare Moon, but will she need some help with events to come?

  • ...
6
 64
 1,778

Chapter 2: Tales to Tell

Metiphus was ecstatic and brutally disappointed all at the same time. He had found her! After a thousand years of waiting, then another month of searching, he had finally found her. And what does his brutal luck get? She doesn’t even recognize him. Alicorn memories were supposed to be long, though a thousand years is a long time to remember just one person, no matter who they were to that pony. Metiphus internally sighed as he walked with Luna towards the castle. He would need to speak with Celestia about a number of things, mainly why Luna didn’t remember him. He was glad beyond reason to see her again, but it hurt all the same.

Walking with her calmed the ache a little bit though. Seeing her interact with her subjects brought forth pride and happiness in him. He was a bit annoyed when some didn’t approach because of his presence, but he preferred it this way. He wouldn’t have to explain who he was or why he was escorting Princess Luna to the castle. A few who had stopped with her to chat were quiet poor. He noticed that she didn’t really try to talk with the higher up ponies, although there weren’t many out because of the time of night. Instead she preferred to talk with the middle class. Metiphus noted that she always palmed a few bits when someone really seemed to need them. They usually never asked, and tried to give back the offer of money, but she insisted. She really has grown up since last I saw her….oh shit I’m staring. Did she notice? Crap I think she did!

Averting his eyes quickly from the now smirking Luna, he looked around to the scenery. The section of the city they were in was really quite nice; it was large subdivision of the city where most of the middle to lower class dwelt. Some homes had flowers in baskets set out on window sills, while others were very empty. It was diverse and teemed with activity. Since the days of Luna’s banishment, night life had picked up a great deal. This was most noticeable as they started to head towards the club district of the vast city. In some buildings old guitars could be heard with a southing melody of southern music, while others had harsh and loud wubs vibrating out from the doors as ponies ushered themselves in to hear DJ Pon3’s newest hit. Metiphus would admit that he preferred the former of the two; that is until they stopped in front of a club that had a deep bass guitar playing with a loud lead. The vocalist sounded amazing, although a bit slow for his taste. Stopping in front of it, he smile to himself and started to tap his foot.

I’ll have to come back here later with her if she’ll allow it; music like that’s hard to come by these days that’s actually good. Noticing that Luna was actually waiting on him, he returned to her side with a sheepish grin and began to walk with her once more. Soon enough, they arrived to the gates of the main palace. The night guards opened the doors wide, letting their princess in without hesitation. Metiphus on the other hand was abruptly stopped.

“Halt; no weapons are allowed in the palace grounds.” Looking to his back and his hip the guards motioned for his weapons. He seemed to be in charge of the gate force, and had a deep dark red coat with a lighting white mane. Ignoring the guard he shoved off the hand and began to walk again when another hand shot out for his shoulder. Reaching for his pistol he drew it out and pressed it against the forehead of the guard, but not before feeling the cold tip of a blade press against his throat. The guard stood stoic, staring back at Metiphus. Finally noticing, Luna walked up and addressed the guard.

“At ease Sargent Shield; he is of no threat. Release him and return to your duties.” Not looking at all pleased that the princess had actually addressed him, he let go with some reluctance.

“Yes, Princess.” Shield bowed slightly, and turned around abruptly to leave. Luna nodded and motioned for Metiphus to follow. It was a few moments before either of them spook.

“Thank you Lu- I mean Princess. I didn’t want things to get out of hand.” Luna raised a brow at him almost calling her by her first name, but nodded curtly to him and continued on towards the main chamber of the castle.

“It would seem that some in your guard don’t like you.” At that Luna noticeably deflated. She hung her head slightly and frowned.

“We, eh, I have seen it as well. They still do not trust me I think. And you didn’t help at all with your weapon. What is that by the way? I’ve never seen anything like it.” Metiphus brighten up at that. It was his prized position, other than his sword.

“It’s a gun. I made it myself, and it’s the only one of its kind.” Smiling smugly to himself he drew it forth to show her. They had stopped in a large corridor that most likely led to either the main room, Celestia’s room, or Luna’s room; most likely the main chamber though.

“I crafted it from a very rare element called star metal. It makes it almost indestructible. I inlaid the barrel with gold wire, as you can see, and crafted the hilt out of a fallen branch form an ancient tree called the Menoa Tree. It shots 6 shots, made by myself, and doesn’t need to be reloaded until the shots have been used up.” Seeing the look of utter amazement and shock on Luna’s face brought forth a proud grin to his face. Putting it back in its holster, Metiphus smiled back at her.

“That is…quiet impressive. What does it fire?” Bringing forth a small piece of metal, he held it up to her and grabbed her palm and dropped it inside.

“It’s called a bullet. Its holo inside that’s filled with a substance called gunpowder, that when ignited, sends the metal shooting out of the gun at blinding seeds. A small firing pin in the gun slams against the bass of the bullet, igniting the gunpowder and sending it forth!” Luna shook her head in disbelief.

“We have never even seen such a thing, let alone have a need for it. The mechanics behind it though must be stunning… Do you have another that I could examine?” Metiphus shook his head.

“Not with me no. I left another with my companion.” Luna looked a bit confused.

“But you’re alone. Who else is here?” Metiphus looked away, and motioned for her to follow him.

“An old friend of mine. His name his Durgomoth, and he’s traveled with me to every corner of the world. I can safely say that he is my brother in everything but blood. Sadly though, he isn’t with me at the moment, although if the need arises he will come.” Not getting any more out of Metiphus, Luna shrugged and continued on, not actually having any real destination set. She planned on arriving at Celestia’s room…eventually. For now she enjoyed her walk through the castle walls, enjoying her company and gazing at the paintings that hung from the walls. Luna had missed a lot during her banishment, and seeing these paintings didn’t help much with getting over it. Already she missed the old days, but these would have to do. Not even a great alicorn can turn back the sands of time.

Finally noticing they had reached Celestia’s room, Luna steeped forward and knocked lightly on the door. A few moments passed which Luna and Metiphus tried to look at everything instead of one another. Finally, with much grumbling about how ‘even a princess needs some beauty sleep’ and a few painful gasps of stubbed hooves, Celestia opened the door slightly, looking out to the intruders of her sleep. Seeing Luna, she opened the door more.

“Lu-Lu, what is it? It’s 1 in the-“Her words feel short as her eyes feel on Luna’s companion. She gulped a little and stepped forward. Metiphus nodded to her and stepped forward. They two walked up to one another and hugged.

“Met, it has been far too long! Where have you been all these years? How’s Dur? Is he well?” A flood of questions came from Celestia’s mouth that Metiphus himself was all too happy to explain, but right now Luna looked as lost as a child in a forest. Smirking awkwardly, he coughed and nodded to Luna. Celestia looked back at her, then back to Metiphus, her eyes growing wide. Met felt an old yet familiar presence enter his mind. At the speed of thought itself, Celestia spook to him.

She doesn’t remember, does she?

Not in the slightest.

Oh dear, Met I’m so sorry! If I had known you were coming I would have tried to prepare her! I would have tried to explain about-

It’s alright. I understand, although I am hurt by it. Celestia noticed the feeling mixed with in him that swirled around in his mind like a quiet pool; always moving, never still. She embraced him once more, but only through thought. Returning to the real world they both turned to Luna, who had been exempt from the whole conversation and hadn’t even noticed the slight lapse in time. Now having a new batch of questions, Luna started with the simplest.

“You two know one another? How?” Celestia smiled at her sister and walked forward.

“Met and I were old…friends while you were gone. I haven’t seen him in quiet along time, and he must have a few new stories to share with me.” Nodding his head, he stood back a bit from the two. He finally took off his hat and held it in his hand, showing off his black hair. Luna looked back at the two with a raised eyebrow.

“I had no idea you had suitors while I was gone dear sister, at least none that live as long as either you or I.” At that Metiphus laughed, while Celestia paled somewhat. She thinks Celestia and I were a couple? Oh gods I have been gone too long! He cleared his throat and shook his head, laughing still.

“No, no Princess; Tia and I were never a couple. As for my age, well, the gods blessed me with long life such as you when I was born.” Both parts were true, but there was a missing piece to it that Luna didn’t need to know just yet. For now Met was tired, and needed to sit down. Luna raised an eyebrow at the use of Celestia’s casual name.

“Why don’t we continue this inside? There are most likely prying ears here, and this conversation must be private.”

Motioning forward with his hand, both Luna and Celestia walked inside, with Met trailing them. Closing the door firmly, he turned around to face them. They both stood next to one another; Luna looking rather confused and Celestia looking very worried. Celestia herself only wore a large bathrobe that covered her white nightgown, and her hair was unbelievably in shambles. I suppose even alicorns get bed hair. He smiled at that and moved for a chair nearby. Seeing this, the other two moved for Celestia’s bed and sat down. He grabbed a chair and pulled it up; taking off his coat and hat he placed them on a coat hanger nearby and sat down. His sword was a bit uncomfortable, being strapped to his back, but he could ignore it. Silence enveloped the room. After a few moments, Celestia cleared her throat and spook to Met.

“I see you have a new sword Met. Have you finally finished your training then?” Met nodded, and drew forth the weapon to show her. The blade was dark black as Luna had seen before, but it seemed to almost shine with power. It was a completely different weapon for a completely different level of enemy. He brought it forth and handed it to Celestia. She grabbed it carefully in her hands and nodded, eyeing the terrible weapon.

“You adopted a very interesting fighting style with this weapon, but it is effective.” She nodded to him and handed it back. “I approve of it.” He smiled to her and sheathed it in its scabbard. Luna looked back to him.

“Training for what? What is it you do Metiphus?” He cleared his throat and crossed his legs.

“You may call me Met if you wish Princess, and as for what I do I keep the peace as best I can. I was trained to do so by one who preceded me, his name was Eragon Bromson, or Eragon Eldar as I am to call him since he was my teacher.” Luna nodded and looked past him towards the night sky. The first streaks of light began to pierce the night sky, but it would be a few hours till morning really came. Now Celestia was curious about something.

“How did you two meet?” At that they both looked to one another. This bothered Celestia greatly, and looked towards her sister with concern.

“Lu-Lu, what happened?...”Luna turned to talk to her sister, but Met spook before she could.

“I saw her in the streets being followed, so I naturally followed as well to see what happened. I lost her for a few moments, but found her pinned against a wall with a gang attacking her. I stepped in and did what I could, but the main thing is that she is alright now.” Met smiled at Celestia as if he had just told her what the weather was supposed to be. Celestia herself however had her mouth hung open in disbelief. She looked back to Luna then to Met. Luna just nodded and pierced her lips together. Met began to whistle and look everywhere except towards Celestia. Finally having enough, the princess looked to her sister.

“Luna, is this true?!?!” Not really wanting to talk, Luna just nodded her head. Composing herself, Celestia nodded her head and looked to Met.

“Thank you for saving my sister. Is there any way that I could ever repay you?” Luna looked to Met and meet his eyes. He smiled as he looked into the deep pools of blue and nodded his head. He knew before she ever even asked.

“If it is within your power, I would like to become Luna’s personal guard; her shadow if you would.” As good as Luna poker face was, it still couldn’t hide a little of the happiness that dwelt with in her. Celestia nodded and smiled towards Metiphus.

“Of course Metiphus. Welcome to the Night Guard of Equestria.”