• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 19,211 Views, 3,074 Comments

The Lunar Rebellion - Chengar Qordath



One hundred years after Luna’s banishment, unrest among the three pony tribes threatens to plunge Equestria into civil war.

  • ...
48
 3,074
 19,211

PreviousChapters Next
Rising Shadows 5

I was not disobeying Polaris’ orders to avoid engaging the enemy.

I was to accompany Sergeant Stalwart and Captain Greenwall on a training patrol for one of the new units. ‘Twas not a duty one would normally assign to a mare of my rank, but ‘twas far from unusual for leaders to inspect the smaller units under their command. The patrol itself was a simple affair. A few days in the field to aid our new recruits in growing accustomed to their new status as soldiers, as well as breaking up the monotony of continual training.

However, I suspect Crossguard may have harbored a hidden agenda in dispatching myself and the customary honor guard of my own clan. It had not escaped my notice that our route took us east, towards enemy territory. Though we would not take a force of untested soldiers near enough to risk battle with the enemy, ‘twas likely myself and my fellow pegasi would be able to locate some suitable target to engage. We might find an enemy patrol that might have stumbled upon our new recruits, or an opportunity too tempting to ignore.

Whate’er the case, I suspect Crossguard had intentionally provided me this opening to lead some of my clan in a proper battle. Though I would gladly aid the training process, I will concede that at the time I saw it as a less than ideal assignment. I was a warrior of Pegasopolis, and my place was on the battlefield. E’en if that battle brought me ‘gainst Pegasopolis itself, I prefered that to the thought of lingering in Canterlot, preparing others for death and war whilst I slowly grew fat and indolent. ‘Tis difficult to claim the title of warrior if one does not, at some point, make war.

In addition, taking my clan into battle would likely silence some uncomfortable words spoken both within the clan and outside of it. Despite our relocation to Canterlot, both the unicorns and some of my own did not feel that we had fully committed ourselves to Celestia’s cause. Much as I disliked the thought of it, it would require bloodshed to fully bind my clan to the Commander. Until we met the rebels in battle, too many would wonder if we might yet resume our old loyalties.

I did not doubt Gale’s words to me some weeks previously; if I approached Rightly or Cyclone and asked to return to Pegasopolis, they would gladly welcome me. Once blood was shed, that door would be closed. Though I had no intention of pursuing that opportunity, the mere fact of its existence yet lingered over all my actions. In the heat of the moment, leaving Cloudsdale for Canterlot had been an easy choice. Now, as days turned to weeks, my clan’s thoughts lingered on all that they had left behind, and some began to wonder if their sacrifice had been worthwhile.

What had we gained, in exchange for our loyalty to the Commander? We were used as trainers, and denied a place on the battle line. Meanwhile, those who had once been Kickers held a place of honor, with one of their own occupying a usurped seat in the Ephorate. ‘Tis a materfamilias’ duty to see to the advancement of her clan and its interests, and thus far many would say that my choice to align myself with Celestia had done little to serve either. While ‘twas clear the Commander held me in high regard, ‘twas a private respect that was not shown with titles or a public place of honor, nor did it bring glory to the clan as a whole.

Thus, my desire to see our clan in battle. Though politics stood against us for the moment, combat offered us a chance to honor and glory. ‘Twould both stiffen our resolve and our commitment to the Commander’s cause. ‘Twould also serve to remind all of my clan’s place in the world: we were warriors, not mere trainers of earth ponies and unicorns. I suspect my clan would appreciate the reminder just as much—too long had we lingered in the capital while others fought. For all that Polaris’ performance thus far had been satisfactory, ‘twas past time I entered the fray.

Instead, I inspected freshly trained soldiers.

Greenwall’s earth ponies marched in the same hollow square formation they had drilled in for weeks, accompanied by the expected unicorn forces within the square’s center. Among the purposes of this expedition was to accustom them to marching thusly. ‘Twas one thing to hold a formation on the parade ground, and another to hold it through many long hours of movement.

Somepony clearing his throat drew me from my contemplations, and I turned to find myself facing Captain Greenwall. The captain offered me a respectful nod, then spoke his mind. “Ma’am, there is a problem with your sergeant.”

That drew my attention. Stalwart was one of the best instructors I had e’er seen ‘mongst my clan’s ranks. That a militia captain could find fault with him was curious, but I was at least willing to hear his words. “Explain, if thou wouldst.”

“He’s helping us too much.” Greenwall seemed to grasp the strangeness of his complaint, and expanded ‘pon it. “Whenever our formation gets a bit sloppy or a soldier is out of place, he comes flyin’ in and fixes the problem.”

“That is a sergeant’s role,” I answered levelly.

“Aye, I know it. ‘Tis simply that...” Greenwall paused, taking a moment to gather his thoughts. “Ma’am, once we get into a proper battle, I imagine he’ll be somewhere else. I understand he wants to train us up, and what with him flying and all he can probably check our positioning better than any of our own ponies. Thing is, we gotta learn t’stand on our own eventually. Rather have our first experience with it be now, rather than when we’re fighting for real.”

I was surprised by Greenwall’s insight into the matter. He raised a valid concern, though I suspect he may have been slightly overstating the degree of the sergeant’s involvement. Still, ‘twas something worth speaking with the sergeant o’er, e’en if only to confirm that Greenwall’s concerns were, in fact, o’erstated. ‘Twould not do to seem dismissive of the forces under my command.

I took wing, and moved to Stalwart’s position. The sergeant was currently in the skies above our square, his eyes fixed on the earth ponies composing the formation. As one of the soldiers stepped half a length out of place, he swiftly dove down and corrected the problem, gently pointing out the error.

I was struck by the difference in his methods, compared to his normal performance. Stalwart was not so gentle of an instructor when working within our clan. That is not to say he was harsh or wantonly cruel, but he would not hesitate to strike a recruit if such would demonstrate a weakness in the pony’s defenses. Nor would he have felt the need to correct a soldier for such a minor flaw. A formation at march will not maintain perfect cohesion, and the earth pony had not strayed so far as to require the sergeant’s intervention. ‘Twould seem that mayhaps Greenwall’s concerns were not invalid.

He returned to the skies swiftly enough, making his way to my side and offering a sharp salute. “Materfamilias. Was there something you wished for?”

“Aye.” I frowned at him, my own eyes now turning to the earth ponies as well. “Thy methods have changed from what I am accustomed to.”

Stalwart considered the matter, and conceded the point with a nod. “Aye, that they have. One cannot train warriors of Pegasopolis the same way one would train a farmer who until a month ago had not e’en carried a pike.”

“‘Tis so,” I agreed readily. “However, thy current conduct inclines me to wonder when my sergeant decided to dote ‘pon his trainees like a grandmother would ‘pon a favored foal. The enemy will not be so kind to them.”

Sergeant Stalwart blinked in surprise at my reprimand. “Milady Shadow, with all respect, I do not think the earth ponies or unicorns would care for harsher instruction. They were not born as warriors, and treating them as such would not end well. In truth, that we must use them at all sits ill with me. ‘Tis our place to defend them, that they might be spared the horrors of battle. A task, ‘twould seem, that we have failed at.”

“The situation is as it is, sergeant.” My gaze dropped to the formation, and I noted that it had remained in good order despite Stalwart’s lack of attention. “Coddling our new recruits does them a disservice. They will not thank thee for thy kindness when they die ‘pon a rebel lance. Further, thy constant hovering does little to impress them with their own skills, or grant them faith in their own leaders.”

“I do not think I have been that gentle with them, milady.” There was a touch of offended pride in the sergeant’s voice, though he took pains to conceal it. “However, I shall bear your words in mind while conducting their training.”

I thought that a satisfactory answer, and further discussion of the matter would only deepen the injury to the sergeant’s pride. when next one of the soldiers strayed from his appointed place in the formation, Stalwart restrained himself, and within a matter of seconds one of the earth pony leaders corrected his errant soldier. ‘Twould seem Greenwall was correct in his belief that the earth ponies could tend to their own. Not so well as they would have done with Stalwart’s supervision, but more than adequate.

Stalwart turned his eyes to the horizons, likely hoping that averting his gaze from the soldiers would allow him to more easily resist the urge to intervene in their affairs. ‘Twas likely because of that attention to other matters that he was the first to note the approaching menace. “Milady Shadow! Pegasi approach from the east!”

I quickly followed Stalwart’s pointing leg, spotting the distant figures on the horizons. Though they were yet too distant for any clan markings to be distinguishable, I did not know of any other allied pegasi in the area, and that combined with the fact that they approached us from rebel-held territory made it prudent to assume they were hostile. ‘Twould seem that the thing I had both wished for and hoped to avoid would soon come to pass. Ere the day was done, my wing-blades would drink the blood of another pegasus.

I quickly signalled the other members of my clan, and they fell into formation around me. As my clanmates positioned themselves, my eyes remained on our approaching enemies. They were not moving directly towards us or in any proper formation. ‘Tween that and the fact that they were frequently swooping towards the ground, I could guess at what must be occurring. They had engaged some foe on the ground, who currently occupied their attention. An enemy of the rebels would likely be one of our own allies. Mayhaps we had even come across one of the more distant detachments of Polaris’ army.

Given that information, my course seemed clear. “The enemy is near, and our own forces are under attack. We must relieve them. Kickers, with me. Greenwall, follow as best thou canst.”

My words sent a nervous tremble through the conscripts beneath us, and Greenwall hesitated. “Ma’am? Are you sure about that? Wasn’t this supposed to be a training exercise?”

Stalwart also spoke, though with the carefully chosen words of a sergeant addressing his materfamilias. “Shall I send forward scouts to determine where we should have Greenwall’s forces hold while we engage the enemy?”

I had neither the time nor the inclination to address their concerns. “All our conscripts will have their first battle in due time. These shall simply experience it sooner. Take no needless risks, but do not let caution make cowards of us either.” With my order made plain, I took wing for the battle.

As I drew nearer, my suspicions were confirmed—the pegasi were harrying a force of unicorns who looked to be a part of Polaris’ forces. The unicorns were galloping as fast as their hooves could carry them for the cover of a nearby orchard, but they still had more than a mile to cross ere they arrived. Ample time for the rebels to extract a heavy toll on them.

Thankfully, the rebels seemed fully fixed ‘pon their target, and they had either not yet noted our approach, or had assumed that we were reinforcements rather than a hostile force. E’en if they saw our armor, they might well think us some of the rebels who had abandoned my clan. Whate’er the case was, they would pay for their negligence. Though they had numbers on my own contingent of pegasi, I suspected we could make the most of the advantage of surprise. Given that the enemy appeared to be a pursuit force, they would likely break contact once they realized they were facing a counter-attack.

“Perhaps a diekplous?” (1) I turned to the sergeant for confirmation of my suggestion.

1: Another Old Pegasopolan term. Literally translates to “Flying out through.” The maneuver is traditionally performed in a column. While Shadow makes no mention of which she used for this engagement, her other battles indicate that she used a modified version of the traditional diekplous, utilizing a looser formation to maximize the disruption to enemy ranks (though at an increased risk of becoming bogged down within the enemy formation.).

“What I would have advised if asked, milady,” Stalwart agreed.

I quickly beat my wings to gain altitude, then spread my full span, angling them so that I began to drop into a sharp dive. Not so steep that I could not avert a collision with the ground below, but more than sufficient to add momentum to my charge. I briefly lamented the absence of a lance; though ‘twas not my weapon of choice, ‘twould have been ideal for my current circumstances.

As I had hoped would be the case, the enemy did not grasp their peril until we were upon them. ‘Twas an irony that their doom came from failing to watch the skies above them, given that such had too often been a failing of those enemies of ours who were confined to the ground. Though the lapse was understandable, when they were embroiled with a groundbound enemy and the rebels had the loyalty of all but a small fraction of the pegasi.

I briefly tucked my wings against my side to add to the speed for my fall, then extended my blades once more, angling myself so that I would pass ‘tween their ranks. As I passed ‘tween two of the rebels, my left blade bit deep into one wing, while the right scraped along another enemy’s armor. To my surprise, the contact caused the blade to glow a bright orange-red, like steel freshly taken from a thunderforge, and it sank through the enemy’s armor to bite into his flank, cutting a line across the pony’s mark. In hindsight, I should have expected that Sunbeam Sparkle’s efforts would have made my blades keener, and that fire would be an element of her enhancement.

No sooner had I cleared the two of them than I was forced into a hasty spin that barely allowed me to avoid a collision with one of the rebels. As it was, one of my armored hind hooves caught him in the stomach, the impact sending a jarring shock through the entire limb.

Once I had broken through the enemy ranks I hastily flared my wings, turning as much of my momentum as I could into a fresh rise, lest I plow into the ground at a distinctly unhealthy velocity. As I once more ascended to combat height, I saw the enemy in disarray. I did not think I had slain any of the three I had wounded in my flight, nor did I think it likely my clanmates had killed many of the enemy. That had not been our objective. Rather, we had sown chaos and confusion in their ranks, making it that much easier to cut them down or drive them from the field.

I came about and prepared to engage my next opponent only to find myself facing another pony in red armor. Worse, I knew this mare: Spark Kicker, who had once foolishly challenged Bright Charger to a duel on a minor point of honor. She had remained in Pegasopolis when the clan departed. I had hoped I would not meet my kin in battle so soon.

Her own eyes widened in recognition as she realized who she faced, and we both hesitated. Whatever our differences in politics, we were yet kinsmares. After some hesitation, she finally spoke. “Depart the field, Shadow. Your unicorn allies lie defeated behind us, and they were the best Unicornia had. You have nothing left to fight for.”

I knew not of what she spoke regarding my beaten allies, though I could imagine several explanations, few of which I cared for. Whatever the case, I could ill afford the time to worry myself on the matter now. “Lay down thy arms, Spark. Thou canst not defeat me in battle.”

Though my kinsmare scowled at my words, she did not dispute them. “I would sooner die than dishonor myself with craven surrender to a mare who betrayed both clan and country.” She readied her blades, her wary eyes fixed upon me. “I will bear my weapons 'gainst all those who declare themselves foes of Pegasopolis and the true Commander.”

“And I bear mine for Equestria and Commander Celestia, no matter who my enemies might be.” I made ready as well, carefully taking her measure as I readied myself both physically and mentally for battle. “I would not be a kinslayer if I can avoid it, but I will fight if I must.”

Spark’s eyes lingered long on my blades, especially as I felt the heat gathering in them once more. “‘Twould seem you have acquired new blades since your departure. Have you been given toys by your new master, as well as a leash?”

I was in no mood to continue bandying words with her. (2) “I will offer thee one final warning, Spark. Do not force the matter.”

2: And yet, the two of them have spent a good while threatening and posturing instead of actually committing to the fight. From personal experience, there’s usually not this much talking unless one or both ponies don’t really want a fight (or at least don’t want a fight in that time/place/manner).

Spark’s wings flared open. “Come whet your new unicorn blades with my blood, then, and lay bare the degradation of your nature.” She let out a contemptuous snort. “I am unsurprised at your readiness to shed kinsblood when you act in the service of a mare who slew her sister, though I am still saddened to see one of our own fallen so low.”

“Not fallen.” I began closing the gap towards her. “Risen. I will do what I must, in the service of the one true Commander of Pegasopolis: Celestia.”

“You have fallen far indeed, in your short time among the unicorns. So far that you cannot e’en see it.” Her eyes flitted to the side, taking note of the state of the rebel forces. As I had hoped would be the case, my initial assault had so disordered the enemy that they had opted for a withdrawal rather than to stand and fight. Spark noted the flight of her comrades, and shook her head. “‘Twould seem that fortune smiles ‘pon us yet, for your eagerness to shed kinsblood shall go unsated this day.”

She slowly backed away, keeping a wary eye on myself and all the ponies in my clan. I signalled them, and they provided Spark with a clear lane to exit the battlefield. Though I might yet face my own kin on the battlefield, and be forced to shed their blood, it would not be this day. My rebel kinsmare wasted no time in securing her escape.

Once the rebels were fully departed from the field, I made my way to ground, to see who we had rescued from the enemy. The force of unicorns was in a sorry state, lying on the ground as if they had simply collapsed the instant they realized they need no longer flee for their lives. Those few who were uninjured—though ‘twould be more accurate to say that their wounds were simply light enough to allow them to continue functioning—tended to their more severely injured brethren. Horns glowed in all colors as they tended their wounded in grim, exhausted silence, and many a stained uniform was cast aside to allow the chirurgeons access to their charges.

As I had suspected would be the case, the unicorns’ equipment marked them as members of Polaris’ force. I quickly searched for a leader among their ranks, and quickly found a familiar one-eyed stallion. The mercenary commander was in a sorry state, but where the proud soldiers and magi of Unicornia looked unnaturally worn and ragged, Famous Spear wore his torn cloak and damaged armor with an ease that bespoke a pony who had often made do with such. Even the dirty bandage covering one of his legs seemed a natural addition. “Famous Spear. What has passed here?”

The mercenary turned to me, his shoulders sagging with relief. “We were ambushed, Lady Shadow.” He let out a heavy sigh “Betrayal from within the camp, most likely. ‘Twas plain to see our position was hopeless, so I salvaged what I could and fled.” He let out a bitter chuckle. “I do not know who was responsible, though I have a suspicion ‘twill matter little once I am returned to Canterlot. Everypony will suspect the unscrupulous, money-grubbing mercenary, especially since I am one of the battle’s few survivors. I suppose you could not be persuaded to release me?”

I frowned at the request. “I think not, especially given what you have said.”

Famous Spear answered that with a single nod. “I had hoped to avoid the loyalists and secure an escape back to Freeport. Sadly, the pegasi were uncooperative.” His gaze drifted down to his bandaged leg. “Alas, ‘tis not to be. I am in no condition to flee or fight, so I ask that I be held by the Order of Sol Invictus instead of in a royal prison. The Order may hate their prodigal son, but they will not execute me without a trial and proof of guilt.”

“That much, I will grant you.” Though the mercenary’s candor made him seem innocent, I knew all too well that an evil pony could adopt an appearance of innocence when it suited him to do so. Whatever the case, the Order could hold him for the moment, until there was time to properly determine his guilt or innocence. “Is there word of other survivors?”

The mercenary shook his head. “I had more than two hundred ponies when I broke loose from the pegasi,” he answered grimly. “What you see now is the remnant of that.” I counted less than fifty unicorns, and most of those in a sorry state.

“I see.” I judged my business with Spear concluded, and my heart was troubled. If his word could be trusted, there would be little left of Polaris’ army by this point. Archmagi would likely have been one of the priority targets for the enemy. If common soldiers could have come this far by hoof, then Copper likely already would have returned, were he able. I could not afford to think on that matter, though. I had my duty, and my mind should be fixed on it, and it alone.

“Milady.” I started at Stalwart’s voice, and his hoof on my shoulder. When I turned to him, his face was taut with grief and remorse. “Greenwall’s force was engaged by the rebels. Only a few stragglers, and the pikes held well enough. The enemy was caught unawares by their skill and discipline. The earth ponies killed three.” Stalwart paused, and swallowed. “Including one who was once of our clan.”

The words struck like a hammer hoof to the chest. So I was a kinslayer after all. I might not have claimed the blood with my own hooves, but it had been shed nonetheless. E’en as the guilt tightened around my heart like a vise, I forced it from my mind. I could not wallow in self-recrimination when Equestria and Commander Celestia had need of me. I turned my mind once more to the needs of the present. “Tabards.”

Stalwart answered me with a confused frown. “Milady?”

“We will need tabards, so that when next we fight our former clanmates, we will know our own from the enemy, and that our allies will not have similar troubles.” I turned my back on him. “Come, sergeant. We have urgent business in Canterlot.”


Briefing Commander Celestia on Polaris’ defeat was a grim but necessary business. Thankfully, ‘twas nearly done. “The rebels have agreed to a three day truce to allow us to recover our dead, and have provided us with a list of their prisoners.” To my dismay, Copper had not been among their number. Though I still prayed that he might yet return to us, I could not bring myself to dispute the cold logic of it. Barring a miracle, he was dead.

I did not look forward to giving his wife the news. Much as his loss pained me, ‘twas likely a far keener wound for Morning Star. Assuming we did indeed recover his body, I would give her the news myself once I could spare the time. A part of me prayed that we did find Copper’s body, if only so that we might know his fate with certainty. Few things are crueler for a family than for a soldier to vanish on the battlefield. In all likelihood the warrior had simply died, and his body had been lost. Yet that tiny glimmer of hope yet remains, rendering it all but impossible for families to accept the loss and move on.

Whate’er the case, I would inform Morning of her husband’s fate once I knew it. Far better that she learn of it from one who had once cared for him than from a mere stranger. At least she would have the company of another who would share her sorrow.

Now was not the time for such thoughts, though. I could worry myself on personal matters only when the Commander no longer required my attention. One does not request a private meeting with the Commander in utmost secrecy, then waste her time. Especially now—while I had requested a private meeting to curtail rumors, ‘twould only briefly delay word of Polaris’ defeat. Once the news struck the city, the effect ‘pon morale would be terrible. E’en mine own daughter had been uncertain of the rightness of our cause, and this reversal would only feed those fears.

And yet, the Commander remained still on her throne. She said and did nothing in response to my words. I was reminded of our meeting in the gardens, some weeks previously. She carried the same air of mournful resignation, and an exhausted indolence that seemed to have driven her to paralysis. When at last she spoke, there was no strength in her voice. I suspect that had Rightly been in the room at that moment, she might well have requested terms of surrender. “How many of my little ponies have died for my mistakes, now? And how many more will die ere this matter is finished?”

I was very grateful in that moment that we were not meeting in her court. Morale would be damaged enough by the news of our defeat without all Unicornia seeing its leader in such a sorry state. Much as it pained me to admit it, e’en in the privacy of mine own heart, were she any other officer in any other circumstances I might have been tempted to ask that she temporarily remove herself from command. “With respect, Commander, they died for you and your cause. You do their sacrifice a disservice through your inaction.”

“A sacrifice I would have preferred they never make.” The Commander offered a bitter shake of her head. “Neigh, it is not the place of my ponies to sacrifice themselves for my sake. Regardless of the rebels’ beliefs, I am not a tyrant like Sombra who would expend the lives of my subjects for my own grandeur. Their deaths pain me. All deaths, e’en those of the ponies who have taken up arms ‘gainst me. Thou didst ask why I would not take the field ‘gainst the rebels, and my answer is given.”

In hindsight, her answer was obvious. She loved her subjects far too dearly to take their lives, e’en if such was necessary to preserve her throne. Mayhaps I had not been so wrong in thinking that her will to hold her position was flagging. If that be the case, then I would need to stiffen her resolve. “Commander, do not forget why we are fighting this war. Your subjects look to you for leadership, now more than ever. Though I know this war carries a heavy price, you must bear it, and you must remain strong for everypony who fights under your flag.”

The Commander let forth a heavy sigh, and slowly nodded. “Thou art correct, and I apologize for losing myself to melancholy.” She slowly stiffened in her throne, returning to her full height, and fixed a regal and determined expression on her face. “So be it. With Duke Polaris and his cousin captured by the rebels, I am in need of a new Archmagus of Canterlot, a new Grand Vizier, and a new leader for my armies. I would offer the last of those posts to thee.”

I would not deny the thrill of vindication I felt at the Commander’s choice. Though he had proved a capable enough choice, I still firmly believed myself to be a better general than Polaris. However, e’en as I prepared to accept my new post, a thought troubled me. One that I ultimately proved unable to cast aside. “Commander, while I am deeply honored by your offer, I must respectfully decline.”

Commander Celestia blinked in surprise, then slowly settled back into her throne, regarding me with open curiosity. “That is unexpected. Didst thou not wish to lead my armies in battle? As I recall, thou wert most displeased when I named Polaris to the post, to the point of attempting to campaign ‘gainst him. What has prompted this sudden shift in thy desires?”

“Awareness,” I answered simply. “When last I sought the post, I thought myself the superior of any unicorn you might have named as leader. Now I wonder if that was arrogant presumption on my part. And e’en if I am the better general, that does not mean I am the best choice to lead our armies. Grandmaster Crossguard of the Order of Sol Invictus has the respect of all within Unicornia, and knows the state of our armies and the terrain we will fight on far better than I. The pride of the unicorns would also be better served by allowing him leadership of our forces. I have enjoyed working with him on the defenses of Canterlot, and believe I could serve under him as a trusted subordinate whose advice would be appropriately valued.”

Celestia’s eyes lingered long on me, then she offered a single approving nod. “Well said, Shadow.” She stepped forward, placing a hoof on my shoulder. “Equestria’s needs outweigh our own personal desires. It warms my heart to see such wisdom from thee. I am almost tempted to override your wishes and demand that you serve as my war leader, despite thy insight.” A faint smile quirked at her lips. “Almost. Mayhaps I should simply name thee as my grand vizier instead?”

I gave her offer the consideration it deserved. “How have I offended you, Commander, that you would punish me so cruelly?”

Celestia threw back her head, a gay laugh erupting from her lips. In truth, her laughter far exceeded the scale of my jest, to the point where I wondered why it amused her so. Eventually the peals of joy slowly trailed to silence, and the Commander wiped eyes. “It has been too long since I laughed, and in these dark times I need it far more than e’er before. My thanks to thee, for that.” She turned to me, a fey light in her eyes and a rare smile fully on her lips. “Well, if thou wouldst not command my armies or serve as grand vizier, mayhaps I should name thee as Archmagus of Canterlot? Though thy lack of a horn is a fault that I must address...”

She tapped a hoof ‘gainst her chin in thought, then sighed and shook her head. “Alas, we cannot afford to linger on such lighthearted topics when war presses. Ere I name my choice for the posts, I would have thine own thoughts on the matter. Thou didst advise me well regarding Crossguard.”

Much as I disliked confessing it, there was only one pony I knew who seemed suited to the job. “I would restore Sunbeam Sparkle to her former offices, though it pains me to suggest it. In the midst of this crisis we require two things above all else: a leader who has the skill to take the post quickly and with minimal disruption to the war effort, and a pony who can calm the public’s fears that we are weak and leaderless, beyond thee. Sunbeam is known to thy subjects, and her return shall reassure many who would be unsettled if the post went to a pony who was not known to them. Though she has many flaws, weakness was never among them.”

Commander Celestia raised a single eyebrow. “Sunbeam is an unexpected choice, given thine own disagreements with her in the past.”

“I do not like Sunbeam Sparkle,” I readily conceded. “But my personal dislike of her cannot override the interests of Equestria.”

“Well said.” An approving smile ghosted across her face, and for a moment I wondered if she had asked those questions of me in the hopes that I would answer as I had. She has admitted more than once that she has the heart and mind of a trickster. Was it possible she had meant the question as some test of my judgment? And if so, to what end? ‘Twould be far easier for me if Celestia did not spend all her waking hours either mired in melancholy or needlessly cryptic.

Whilst I puzzled through this latest enigma, her eyes rested on me. “I wonder, however, what honors are to be Shadow’s, then. If I cannot name her as leader of my armies, and she has wisely declined entry into court politics, then I can find few posts suited to her. Surely there must be some boon she would ask of me, in return for such loyal service?”

My first instinct was to modestly refuse her, but another thought quickly struck my mind. The brief skirmish with the rebels had shown a potential advantage, and I would be a fool to neglect it. “I ask nothing for myself, but rather for my clan. Our wargear is largely of the same standard as that of our enemies. Sunbeam has recently improved mine own arms and armor, and substantially so. I would have my clan benefit from the same, and whatever other magical aid might be available to us. If my clan is to battle ‘gainst the other pegasi, we must have every possible advantage.”

Commander Celestia glanced to my own armor, and her horn briefly lit. “Ah, Sunbeam’s work is as impressive as ever. I commend thee for having the foresight to remove her failsafes as well.” Celestia gave a brief, resigned shake of her head. “Would that she could learn to trust a pony without holding a dagger to their throat. Still, I will speak with her and see the enhancement of thy clan’s wargear done. Loyal pegasi are a precious resource, and I would not see any of my faithful champions needlessly slain when ‘tis within my power to save them.”

Despite my utmost respect for the Commander, a small part of me felt a brief flare of displeasure at her words. I did not e’en realize how deep it ran until the words left my mouth. “If you care so deeply for my clan’s lives, then thy presence on the field will save many more than improvements to their armor.”

My words drew a flinch from the Commander, and I instantly regretted them. Though I could not bring myself to withdraw my statement, I had not wished to cause her pain. Celestia’s eyes met mine, and she made no effort to conceal the wound my foolish tongue had caused. “Some day, Shadow, thou wilt come to understand how great a tragedy it is to see a pony’s life ended. I do not say that thou art cold or heartless, but thou canst not understand how terrible a thing death is, or the pain that thy blades cause whenever they take a pony’s life. Thou canst not know of all the joy that a single death takes from the world, all the possibilities you can end with a single stroke of thy weapons. That knowledge is something only I am cursed with. “

I struggled to find the words to answer her. “Commander, I—”

She forestalled me with an upraised hoof. “One of the ponies who fell in thy recent skirmish with the rebels—Ardent Blade, the one whose wing thou didst foul with thy blade. He survived the battle, but not the treatment of his wound. Had he lived, he would have married, his children would have become noble warriors of Pegasopolis in their own time. Defenders of the realm who would save countless others. One of his granddaughters would have been a lyrist whose compositions would stir the hearts of all Equestria, helping us heal from the wounds of war. One of his further descendants would have saved Equestria from terrible calamity when he discovered a terrible threat to Equestria’s safety, and forewarned us of it. Now all those possibilities are naught but ashes and dust.”

Commander Celestia closed her eyes and slowly shook her head. “Merely enduring this war at a distance tests the limits of my will. I cannot bring myself to come any nearer to it. I have wondered more than once if Luna’s time as Commander of Pegasopolis, leading its armies, was responsible for her fall from grace. War carries a heavy price for all whom it touches, e’en when their minds cannot grasp the full horror of what has passed. To a mind that could truly grasp all the horrors of battle, the full scope of the tragedy that has unfolded...” Celestia turned her gaze from mine, her voice dropping to a resigned whisper. “Call me a coward if thou wilt, but I cannot bring myself to face that, nor to see such evils wrought by my own hooves and horn. I will fight monster and beast without hesitation, but I will not stain my hooves with pony blood.”

I stepped forward, instinct telling me that I should salve her pain e’en as my mind told me ‘twould be improper to act so familiarly with my superior. After a long moment Celestia nodded, and raised a single wing for me. I stepped nearer, and offered what comfort I could. But that is not a matter I care to discuss in any detail. (3)

3: In other words, they banged.

Well, probably not, but I prefer that explanation for Shadow’s sudden reticence. Realistically, it was probably just some cuddling and crying, and Shadow’s trying to preserve the dignity of the crown. After all, she pulled a similar ‘this is too personal to include in my public memoirs’ for one of her conversations with Gale, so it’s pretty clear she’ll cut things out just for reasons that have nothing to do with sex. Pegasopolan stoicism tends to frown on calling too much attention to somepony’s sorrow. Besides, she wasn’t especially shy about admitting that she’d been in a sexual relationship with Copper Spark, not to mention what we’ll be seeing in future chapters...


Once I parted company with Commander Celestia, I wasted no time arranging a meeting with Grandmaster Crossguard and the freshly restored Archmagus Sunbeam. Well, she had technically not been reinstated by her fellow magi yet, but ‘tween the crisis of war and Celestia’s recommendation I doubted there would be any dispute in returning the post to her.

We met once more in Grandmaster Crossguard’s war room at the Sol Invictus compound. The Grandmaster himself was as I remembered him, but Sunbeam had undergone something of a transformation since last I had seen her. The coat of finely crafted mithril links she now wore beneath her blue robes was the most obvious change, but she also carried herself differently. The unsettling air of ruthless energy, an all-encompassing desire to impose her will on the world, seemed somewhat tempered now. Not absent, merely less powerful. Mayhaps the restoration of her titles had calmed her, for the moment. Or ‘twas possible that Crossguard had words with her prior to my arrival.

“Shadow.” She acknowledged me with a slight nod. “As you requested, I have put some of my magi to the task of equipping your clan with our best. Since you seem to have developed a good working relationship with her, Morning Star is heading the effort. I would sooner bury her in so much work that she cannot mourn than allow one of my best enchanters to slip into melancholy.” She let out a snort, and a measure of her usual demeanour slipped out. “We have troubles enough with melancholy in our higher ranks.”

Crossguard frowned at her, a sentiment I wholly agreed with. “Sunbeam,” he gently chided. “Mind your words. I would not have our meeting degenerate into an argument on matters unrelated to the war effort.”

“It is not unrelated.” Sunbeam looked between Crossguard and I. “Her Majesty is not present for this meeting, nor do I think her likely to arrive later. Are we to lead this war effort absent our queen? What will the common pony say once ‘tis plain that our own leader has so little faith in her soldiers that she will not e’en attend a meeting of the war council?”

“She is our queen.” Crossguard fixed the Archmagus with an uncompromising glower. “It is not our place to question or criticize her. Our only task is to see her will done.”

“She wears the crown,” Sunbeam conceded with an angry wave of her hoof. “I do not dispute that, and I will obey her commands when they are given. I will also note that aside from appointing us to our new posts, no commands have been issued.” She let out a disgusted snort. “I might be her Grand Vizier by title, but so long as this melancholy holds her I shall be queen in all but name, with the added joy of concealing her true state from the public eye. You say we must focus on the war effort? I say that the fact our queen is all but a recluse is of the utmost importance to the war.”

I was reminded once more of one of the more complex reasons for my dislike of Sunbeam Sparkle: she had an annoying habit of forcing me to confront facts I would have been happier ignoring. Had I not spoken to the Commander of mine own displeasure that she seemed content to remain ‘pon her throne while others lead the war? Rather than argue the matter with the Archmagus, I offered mine own thoughts. “Though I agree that Commander Celestia’s melancholy should be ended if at all possible, there are other matters that press. Defeat in the field will do nothing to improve the Commander’s mood.”

Crossguard offered me a grateful nod, and returned the discussion to matters that caused him less discomfort than his queen’s flaws. “To the war, then. Our circumstances are perilous enough without needless arguing ‘mongst our own ranks.”

Sunbeam’s eyes lingered on me for several moments, then she turned to Crossguard. “Agreed. I apologize for any offense my words might have caused. ‘Twas not my intent to act a poor guest; I merely wished to express mine own concerns on the matter.”

Crossguard looked to her, and offered a reluctant nod. “Aye, and for my part I apologize for taking offense when thou didst raise valid concerns regarding the war’s conduct.” He sighed, running a hoof along his face. “Much as I value Her Majesty’s honor, taking its defense to the point of blinding myself to unpleasant realities does us a disservice.”

I waited some moments to confirm that the matter was settled ere I spoke. “If we are done having needless arguments, shall we discuss the war effort?” I did not wait for an answer ere I continued. “As I see it, we must take aggressive action at once.”

“Truly?” Crossguard frowned down at the map, and I noted a fresh notation marking the location where Polaris’ army had been destroyed. “Though we have scouts searching for any other survivors of the battle, I confess myself less than optimistic that we will find many. The pegasi have a natural advantage in the realm of pursuing a beaten enemy. Given the blow to our own forces and uncertain training of our newer conscripts, I would think a defensive posture more reasonable. Especially since the enemy will likely march on Canterlot soon.”

Sunbeam offered me a faintly approving smile. “I think the Ephor has the right of it, Grandmaster. Though our armies are less ready than I would like, we must strike a blow that proves we are not undone by a single defeat. It need not be a grand battle, but ‘twould look ill for us if we are forced to the defensive, incapable of standing our ground outside the capital itself. ‘Twould look to most of Equestria as if the loyalist cause stood on the verge of defeat.”

Crossguard frowned and conceded the point with a nod. “I see your point, then. We must show the enemy and our own forces that wars are not won or lost in a single battle. We have already received word that Fillydelphia will be asking the rebels for terms. Polaris’ efforts were enough to persuade them to hold for a time, but with his army destroyed...” Crossguard sighed, offering a resigned shake of his head. “I doubt any of the communities the rebel army passes through on their way here will offer them much in the way of resistance.”

“Then ‘twould seem we are in accord,” I concluded. “A limited attack, to disrupt the enemy and demonstrate our strength of arms.”

“Aye.” Crossguard turned his attention to the map beneath us, one hoof tracing the route between Canterlot and Fillydelphia. “‘Tis nearly a straight march east, with little other than forests and river crossings to stand in their way. Our best chance to engage them would be here.” His hoof halted between the Foal Mountains and Rambling Rock Ridge. “The terrain will somewhat restrict their movement; e’en pegasi must exert considerable effort to fly o’er the top of a mountain. And ‘tis near enough to Canterlot that we should be able to withdraw in good order. I doubt the enemy would want to chase us too near to a prepared position, especially if we prepare a few measures to discourage them.”

“That just leaves the question of our objective.” I turned my mind to my former comrades, and the tactics they would likely use. “I do not think our army will be ready to meet them in open battle and trade blows. But if we are to have a limited engagement, then there must be some aim to it beyond meeting them in battle and giving a respectable performance. We must make some accomplishment notable enough that at the battle’s end we might name it a victory without it seeming a hollow claim.”

“Their siege train.” Crossguard’s suggestion took me by surprise, and I turned to him quizzically. He answered me with an easy smile. “I know pegasi are unaccustomed to siege warfare, but in this case they will have little choice but to employ siege engines if they would breach Canterlot’s defenses. They will also likely require proper supply lines—the pegasi might be more capable of living off the land than most, but if they are to properly besiege the city, they will quickly exhaust the local flora, and proper soldiers cannot subsist on grass alone.”

“Siege engines and supply wagons, then?” A playfully eager smile crossed Sunbeam’s face. “All made of wood, I should imagine. I see a battle plan forming: Crossguard will lead our army ‘gainst the enemy to hold them, whilst Shadow’s forces ensure that I arrive in the midst of the enemy’s supplies.” A casual arrogance suffused her tone. “Give me a minute in their camp, and there will not be a single piece of unburnt wood left e’en if they conjure a mighty rainstorm.”

Though I cared little for Sunbeam’s arrogance, I could not gainsay her proposal. Given her reputation and the phoenix emblazoned on her flank, I did not doubt she could set the enemy’s supplies aflame. I was uncertain of placing all our hopes upon her, though. “‘Twould be prudent to have some other means of kindling a flame, Archmagus. Battle is ever perilous.”

Sunbeam let forth a contemptuous snort, making plain her thoughts on the unlikelihood of her life being in peril. However, after a long moment her cold pragmatism won out o’er her ego, and she conceded with a nod. “I shall have the enchanters prepare a few fire gems, alongside the usual stabilizing potions and tanglehoof (4). Should I be unable to act on the field, the gems will suffice.”

4: Fire gems, as the name implies, are explosive fire spells contained within cheap and relatively fragile gems. When dropped or thrown hard enough to destroy the gem, the spell detonates, much to the displeasure of anything in the area. Despite their power and usefulness, fire gems are relatively rare since crafting them requires a decent amount of time from a talented magus, and by their very nature fire gems can only be used once. Most magi dislike the idea of spending several hours enchanting something that can only be used to cast a single spell before it’s used up.

“‘Twould seem we are agreed on a rough battleplan, then,” Crossguard declared. “I will speak with my subordinates, and suggest that the both of you do the same. On the morrow, once we have a full assessment of our available resources, we will meet again to discuss the smaller details. The size of our force, how much we should leave behind in Canterlot to secure the city ‘gainst surprise attacks, the usual concerns.” He smiled at both of us. “Good day, and may Her Sun light your paths.”


The remainder of my day was spent in many long and difficult discussions with my clan. There was no one great point of trouble, just a thousand small problems, each taking its own toll. Though my clan would be ready for war when the time came, ‘twould not be an easy task to see it done. Especially not when that was combined with our ongoing efforts to render our new clanhold livable and continue assisting in the preparation of the unicorn and earth pony armies. I doubted I would be able to spare the time for a full night’s sleep when so many other matters pressed.

I could at least take comfort in the fact that my own quarters in the new clanhold had been finished. Compared to my guest quarters at the palace, there was a welcome simplicity to my new abode. Blank red walls, save for weapon racks and my armor stand, with the only adornment being a table covered in carefully organized paperwork and a single chair. The bed itself was equally serviceable, and far more comfortable than the down mattresses and silk sheets I had uncomfortably rested under in the palace.

I set about removing my armor and prepared to take my rest, but halfway through the process I was interrupted by somepony clearing their throat. I turned about, and found nopony standing behind me. ‘Twas not until I shifted my gaze downward that I discovered the source: young Midnight was in my quarters, gazing up at me expectantly.

“Milady Ephor Shadow.” The young filly offered a polite curtsey. “There are matters of grave import which I would discuss with you.”

I wondered if she had come bearing some message from her mother, and decided to indulge her for the moment on that assumption. “Very well then, Midnight. What is it?”

Midnight regarded me for some time ere she answered. “Before we discuss the primary reason for my visit, there is a point of curiosity I would have you address for me. Will you tell me about coitus?”

I could scarcely believe mine own ears. E’en as my mind withdrew in surprise from this o’erforward and unexpected request, I gave her my answer. “Neigh, I will not.”

“I see.” She slowly blinked, her eyes still fixed upon me with unnerving intensity. “Will you engage in coitus with Mother, then?”

“No.” I shuddered at the very thought of it, as a dread suspicion that this conversation would extend for some time settled into the pit of my stomach.

If I were to judge by the frown my answer drew, Midnight took some offense at my refusal to bed her mother. “Why not? I have heard it said she is a comely mare.”

Rather than explain all the reasons why I found her mother distasteful, I opted for a simple answer. “I do not wish to.”

Midnight answered me with the stubborn curiosity so common to children her age. “But why do you not wish to?” Her eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Is it because you are having coitus with another? Will you be having coitus with Grandmaster Crossguard? Or mayhaps e’en Her Majesty?”

“No.” I allowed a bit of the parental authority I normally reserved for my own daughter to slip into my voice. “And thou shouldst not speak of such things, child.”

The young filly crossed her forelegs o’er her chest. “'Tis hard to know why I should not speak of such things when I do not understand the context of coitus. If I speak words that are inappropriate or offensive, ‘tis only because nopony will enlighten me with the truths I seek.” She frowned, slowly tilting her head to the side. “Mother says that ponies fond of one another sometimes have coitus, but I am not sure when 'tis acceptable. 'Tis most vexing. If you will not have coitus with Mother or Her Majesty, then whom?”

I was rapidly tiring of this discussion. “Nopony.”

Midnight stared up at me and slowly blinked. “Ah, you are impotent. I was unaware. My condolences.”

My willingness to indulge the filly reached its end. “Is this not a subject thou shouldst discuss with thy mother? Surely she would prefer that thou remainest near her side.”

Midnight let out an impatient grumble, rolling her eyes. “She says she will tell me the details once I am older. Given that I am already well aware of coitus, I see little point in denying me necessary information on the subject. I can understand why she will not speak of me regarding black magic or the forbidden arts, but 'tis not so with coitus.”

Ah. So she had come to me in the hopes that I would provide the information her mother had denied her. I would have thought Gale a more likely choice than I for such purposes, but ‘twould seem not. Regardless, I saw no reason to aid the young filly in her plans. “If that is thy mother’s command, then thou shouldst mind her words and do as she asks.”

Midnight answered me with a fillyish scowl and a frustrated sigh. “Then your response is no different from any other’s. Most irritating. If only I could reach the books on the higher shelves...”

I confess, the image of Sunbeam Sparkle concealing books on adult matters from her daughter provided a queer sort of amusement. Regardless, ‘twould seem our discussion was at an end. “Shall I have Gale escort thee to thy mother? I suspect ‘tis already past time thou wert abed.”

Midnight shook her head, then spoke with such grave seriousness that for a moment I almost forgot she was a filly. “Neigh, for I have business with you, Lady Shadow.”

“Dost thou, then?” I considered simply summoning Gale and having the child removed regardless, but given her sudden shift of mood and tone, I chose to hear her out.

Midnight offered me a serious nod. “Aye, I do. I humbly request that you keep my mother safe in the coming battles with the rebels. I am prepared to do whatever I must, and offer whatever I can, in exchange for that. My magic has not yet developed, but ‘twill do so in time, and if I am half the magus Mother is, ‘twill be considerable. Mother has already assured me that my raw potential is great enough that you would benefit from my services. So once I am properly aged and trained, I could be of service to you. I could make enchanted objects for your clan, or other spellcrafting services. Whatever price you think appropriate for my mother’s safety.” She was silent for several seconds, then a hint of desperation entered her normally monotonous voice. “Or I could always marry a pony of your clan when I am of age. I would do so if such an alliance would keep Mother safe.”

“Child...” There was only one action I could take in response to such naked fear. I opened a wing and drew the frightened filly to my side. “Thou needst not bargain with me for such a thing.”

A brief tremble passed through as she pressed ‘gainst my legs. “I do not enjoy the thought of my mother passing. ‘Tis a most disquieting thing to contemplate, especially given how many archmagi have already fallen during this war. I would not have the same happen to Mother.”

“I will do what I can to preserve her life,” I assured the child.

A frown slowly worked its way onto Midnight’s face. “I am not sure that is reassuring enough. I have already requested to Her Majesty that she proceed with immolating the rebels and charring their flesh down to the bone, but she denied me.” She let out a discontented grumble. “She would not even tell me why she would not help fight for her own crown when she is the mightiest pony in all of Equestria, all she said was that ‘twas terrible I knew of such things. As if my ignorance would make Mother safer.”

Given my own recent conversation with the Commander on the matter, I was hard-pressed to dispute her. “She has her reasons for acting as she does, and thou shouldst trust her wisdom, child.” ‘Twas a weak answer, but ‘twas the best I could think to offer, other than explaining the Commander’s private thoughts to her.

“Her reasons do not change the fact that she could bring this terrible war to an end so much quicker, and keep my mother safe.” She moved from my side, trotting to a window and hoisting herself up so that she might look out towards Canterlot. “Crossguard gave me little satisfaction when I asked him to keep my mother safe, for he only promised to attempt to preserve her life like you did. He also said that the Order would take me in if my mother should fall, but I do not find much comfort in that. I find being a bastard trial enough without also being an orphan.”

Ah, the unicorn obsession with bloodline purity. I will never understand why it matters so much to them. “Thy sire is unknown, then?”

Midnight shook her head. “Neigh, I know who my sire is. Mother is my sire.”

I suppose that came as no surprise. I cannot imagine Sunbeam delaying her ambitions for all the time of a pregnancy. “What of the one who bore thee, then?”

Midnight’s gaze dropped to the floor, and there was a hesitant tremble in her voice. “I do not know. Mother refuses to speak of her, and rejects my inquiries. Nopony knows anything else, either. Some ponies say I am but some demon or other creature in pony form, a golem she created, or a foal stolen from her parents’ home by Mother.” Her ears wilted as she repeated the words.

I brought one of my hooves to rest on her shoulder. “Thou art thy mother's daughter, Midnight. Do not listen to the prattling of fools who claim otherwise.”

“That is what Mother tells me.” One hoof scraped along the windowsill as her gaze drifted towards the palace. “All I know of the mare who bore me is that she died soon after I was born. I do not even know her name. Mother says I should put such worries out of my mind.”

Curious indeed. I would not have thought Sunbeam Sparkle of all ponies might have a lost love in her past. Mayhaps that was the ‘cause of her flaws; I have known more than one pony who developed a sickness of the mind after seeing one dear to them perish. Though given that Crossguard had claimed Sunbeam as e’en fouler prior to Midnight’s birth, I rather doubted that explanation. (5) “Do not think too poorly of her silence. 'Tis possible it is not a pleasant memory for her.”

5: According to Col. Wind Kicker, Head Counselor for the Royal Guard, there is “No way in Tartarus” that Sunbeam’s psychological issues stemmed from some sort of past trauma. She further went on to state that: “Dangerous sociopaths who can easily be cured with a hug and reassurance that mommy really did love them are the kind of thing that only shows up in bad books and poorly-written films.”

“I suspect that such is the case as well.” Midnight shook her head. “‘Tis an easy enough conclusion to reach, and I am not a fool, even if I am still a child.”

I frowned down at her. “Do not take offense where none was intended.”

She paused, then slowly leaned back from the window, resting her spine against my leg. “I know you meant no insult. Other ponies can be much less kind. Especially when they wish to be cruel to me in order to attack Mother.”

The thought of anypony targeting an innocent child merely to harm her mother indirectly riled my wrath, and soon I was scowling fiercely at nothing in particular. “That is unacceptable. If it happens again, inform me and I shall correct their behavior. Firmly.”

Midnight craned her neck up so that she could meet my eyes, and offered a single nod. “I will, though ‘tis rare for ponies to do so now. After one of them made the mistake of speaking within Mother’s hearing, she made an example of him. Since then, her enemies have watched their tongues lest they lose them to Mother’s wrath.”

I found myself wondering how literal Midnight was when speaking of ponies losing their tongues. I would certainly not put it past Sunbeam Sparkle, though in the current case I found myself hard-pressed to condemn her for that act.

Midnight stepped away from me and returned to the window, now looking out over the new clanhold. “I have read in my books that the pegasi care less about parentage than us unicorns do. Is that true?”

“'Tis so,” I confirmed for her. “Ties of blood and kindship are of importance, but we do not care for concepts like bastardy.” I let out a contemptuous snort. “By unicorn reckoning, all of Bright Charger's children are bastards, yet 'tis of no concern.”

“That sounds preferable.” Midnight gazed out the window, and a troubled frown crossed her face. “Though Mother and other learned unicorns have told me that the main reason that unicorns have come to care so much about such things is that some element of magic is tied to bloodlines. Magically strong parents produce magically strong children, and those children in turn...” She let out a brief sigh. “Such matters are distressingly complicated.”

“I am no expert on unicorn bloodlines, though I would note that from all I have heard thy mother came from a family of no significance, and I wager there are many magi who bore disappointing children. E’en if blood has a place, ‘tis plain it is not the only factor.” I shrugged, and put the matter from my mind. “Whate'er the case may be, Sunbeam Sparkle is yet thy mother, and she cares for thee. What else is of consequence?”

Midnight was silent for so long that I wondered if she had heard me, until at last the gave a single nod. “There is wisdom in that.” She shifted on her hooves, dropping her gaze from the window. “I do not wish for my mother to die. If she perished, then I would be alone, and that is not something I desire.”

I stepped to her side, once more offering her comfort of my wing. “Whate'er may pass, thou shalt not be alone. This I swear to thee.”

Midnight turned her head to mind, wearing a confused frown. “'Tis so? But I have no other kin I know.”

“Not all kinship is a matter of blood.” I explained. I paused and briefly searched for a gentle example, but I suspected that with young Midnight directness might well be a virtue. “If thy mother perished, and thy care were given over to Gale, what would she be to thee?”

As I had hoped, Midnight did not seem unduly upset by the question. “Wouldst she not be an adoptive mother? A master as well, if she were to teach me a craft.”

“But wouldst thou not grow to love her as a mother in time?”

Midnight frowned in thought, tapping one of her hooves on the windowsill as she thought.“It seems likely,” she concluded. “I am fond of Gale, and would grow moreso in the fullness of time.”

“Aye.” I offered her an approving squeeze of my wing. “So thou canst have ties of kinship e’en absent blood ties.”

“Your logic would appear to be sound,” Midnight agreed.

I nodded and offered the filly a brief smile. “Then so it is. Though I will do what I might to preserve thy mother's life, I also give my word that thou shalt ne'er want for kinship.”

Midnight mulled this over for near a minute ere she at last answered me.“I suppose that will have to do. My thanks for your kind words.” A slight frown flickered o’er her face. “When I spoke to Grandmaster Crossguard, he told me that nothing can be guaranteed in war.”

I briefly tightened my wing about her, hoping it might offer young Midnight some comfort. “Courage, child. I will return thee to thy mother.”

Midnight stepped away from the window, and offered another curtsey. “My thanks, Lady Shadow. Mother often warns me to be wary of being foalnapped again. Especially with there now being a war. She says that the pegasi might not hesitate to use me as a hostage against her.”

“Thus, I shall return thee to her side ere she worries for thee,” I assured her, beginning to guide her towards the door.

Midnight began following me, but as we moved I noticed a hesitation in her step. At last, she halted completely. ”Lady Shadow? How likely are we to win this war?”

After considerable hesitation, I gave her an honest answer. “If we win our next battle ‘gainst the rebels, 'tis possible. Difficult still—I give us one chance in three—but possible. If we are beaten ... neigh.”

Midnight slowly nodded. “I have read of what sometimes happens to the family of important individuals on the losing side of a war, and this concerns me. I would not be slain by somepony who fears that I would attempt to avenge my mother when I reach adulthood. I do not believe my mother is well loved by the rebels, so I doubt they will allow her to live if they are victorious.”

‘Twas unsettling to hear a child speak so calmly of the death of her own mother, let alone her own passing. I offered what reassurance I could. “I will not allow thee to suffer simply because of thy mother’s identity. Or see thee murdered simply as a safeguard ‘gainst vengeance. Nor do I think Rightly would e’er allow such a thing.”

“So I would be exiled, then?” Midnight frowned, resting her chin on the windowsill. “Where would I go if exiled? I have spent all but a few weeks of my life in Canterlot, and I did not care for the time I spent in Manehatten and Cloudsdale. Nor would I be capable of supporting myself without Mother’s assistance. I do not think I like this uncertainty as to my own fate. ‘Tis worrisome.”

“Should the worst happen, I shall do everything within my power to see to thy safety. I think Rightly would allow me to adopt thee into my clan, if naught else.” ‘Twas unusual for a non-pegasus to gain membership in a clan, but far from unprecedented. If young Nimbus and Radiant Day had a successful courtship, their children would be Kickers regardless of whether they were born with horn or wing.

“My thanks for that, at least.” The filly turned from the window, slumping tiredly onto the stone floor. “I think I am growing to understand why war is often called a pestilence on ponykind. What yet eludes me is why so many ponies are so eager for it. Do they not see what their attempts at glory have wrought? 'Tis plain if one reads the histories.”

“War is not something wise ponies seek merely for glory and honor.” I frowned as my thoughts turned once more to Rightly and the other Ephors, and their decision to seek war. “Seeking glory in battle is the province of the young and foolish, which is why they do not lead. The Ephorate has sought this war because they wrongly believe that a failure to act would result in greater evils than war. Such is the case for us as well. We fight in the hopes that the evils of war, however terrible, can ultimately lead to a better world than what would come from inaction.”

Midnight frowned, and slowly nodded. “I think I understand your point, though I think that the thought of Equestria being bettered in some vague and possibly distant future is a poor consolation for the loss of my mother, should that come to pass. I would further say that—” Her words were consumed by a yawn, and the filly blinked in surprise. “Ah. ‘Twould seem that I tire. ‘Tis well past my appointed bedtime, though I think it unlikely I would have found sleep regardless. May I ask that you accompany me to my mother’s quarters? She does not approve of me walking about at night unescorted. I would likely be punished if I returned on my own.”

I suspected that my presence would only temper her mother’s displeasure, not cancel it entirely. If my prior conversation with Grandmaster Crossguard was to be judged by, Sunbeam would react poorly to her daughter’s unexplained absence, especially as Midnight had been absent for sufficient time to speak with Commander Celestia and Grandmaster Crossguard ere she approached me. Regardless, ‘twould not do to have a young child wandering the streets unguarded. “Let us return to her, then.”

Midnight offered a slow nod, then rose to her hooves and took a place at my side. “Aye, I believe I have exhausted ponies I can talk to. I thank you for your words, Lady Shadow, e’en if they did not dispel my concerns. I fear only the war’s ending can accomplish that.”

I briefly placed a hoof on the child’s back. “Aye, such is the case with my own fears as well.” I sighed and led the filly out. “Let us pray we can see it done.”

PreviousChapters Next