• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 19,211 Views, 3,074 Comments

The Lunar Rebellion - Chengar Qordath



One hundred years after Luna’s banishment, unrest among the three pony tribes threatens to plunge Equestria into civil war.

  • ...
48
 3,074
 19,211

PreviousChapters Next
Ascendant Shadows 10

Our night’s rest came to an abrupt end when Sunbeam’s wards alerted her to the attack on her tower. White rushed in upon hearing the commotion, wisely making no comment upon finding Sunbeam in my bed. In any case, there were far more important matters at hoof.

We made all haste to the tower, but arrived far too late. My clanponies lay upon the ground, their lifesblood soaking the cobblestones. Nimbus was among them, her chest rent open and her body already cold. I strode to her body, gently closing her eyes.

‘Twas a cruel irony. I had placed her here to keep her away from the battlefield so that she might serve out the war and live to bear her child and raise a family. Now, it seemed she would have been far safer manning the walls. Checking her body had left blood on my hooves, and I could not help but feel that ‘twas there in the more metaphorical sense as well.

I thought back to the last I had spoken to the young mare. The hard questions she had posed to me about both the war and the clan itself. What benefit did this war offer to my clan? What could they hope to win that would justify all this death and suffering? What justice could I offer the war’s victims, and how would I avenge our fallen?

I took a deep breath. “I will show thee, Nimbus. I will show thee how our clan punishes those who dare stand ‘gainst us. I shall avenge thee, or die in the effort.”

Sunbeam stormed out of her tower, her eyes a pair of emerald flames. “Midnight is not here. They have taken her.” For a moment I saw Sunbeam as I had ne’er seen her before. Her eyes were wide, and I could see raw terror and pain within them. “They have my daughter.” The words were spoken plainly, but I could hear the pain hidden beneath them.

Ere I could think of anything that might comfort her, Sunbeam’s teeth clenched, and her next words came out as a feral snarl. “The fool who has taken my daughter is going to burn. Not quickly, no, they will beg me for the sweet release of death for many days ere I finally grant them that kindness. All of Equestria shall tremble when it hears of the terrible vengeance I shall wreak upon those who dared to lay a single hoof upon my child!”

“Aye. There shall be a reckoning for this.” Mine eyes fell once more to Nimbus, and I noted that the blow which felled her had come from behind. “Is there any hint of who might have committed the attack, or where they are now?”

“We both know ‘twas the Nightmare’s doing,” Sunbeam growled. “The only question is whether she managed to get her forces into the city, or we were betrayed from within.”

“More likely the latter.” I frowned and shook my head. “If the rebels had the means to bypass our defenses, they would not have revealed it until it could win the war for them. I know Midnight is a goal of the Avatar’s, but I would think she would not tip her hoof until Rightly had enough forces in place to break our defenses entirely. Our gates and walls would fall all too easily to an attack from behind, and she would be a fool to waste the opportunity.”

Sunbeam grunted and nodded. “Most likely traitors then.” She pointedly looked o’er the fallen. “None of their bodies are among the dead. Whoever did this wanted their identities to remain hidden. I think the rebels would have left their own fallen. We would already suspect them, and proof that they could bypass our lines would put us in a frenzy trying to find out how they had done it.”

I scowled, but could not find anything to dispute her conclusion. “Whate’er the catspaw she used, this was most assuredly the work of the Avatar. I can see no other reason to launch such a brazen attack on thy tower for seemingly no gain other than taking Midnight prisoner. Rightly would have saved his hidden strike until he could cripple our defenses and finish this war.”

Sunbeam’s teeth clenched. “I know. We must find her. Immediately. The Avatar...” There was a very brief catch in Sunbeam’s voice, “The Avatar likely intends to destroy her to enhance its own power. Either by sacrifice, or by possessing her body directly.” Sunbeam whirled about, marching towards her tower. “I keep samples of my daughter’s hair, blood, and other materials for a tracking spell on hoof. ‘Tis likely futile, but...”

She entered the tower without another word. Having only recently retrieved mine own daughter, I could guess at her unfinished thoughts all too easily. When it had been Gale in peril, I would have taken any opportunity I could to free her from the Avatar’s clutches, howe’er slim.

I watched Sunbeam begin the preparations for her spell, but soon enough it became plain that there was little I could do to aid her. I understood more about the working of magic than most who could not wield such forces, but I was still a rank amateur compared to the likes of Sunbeam Sparkle. In any case, I had soldiers to command, and ‘twas possible that some clue to Midnight’s location could be found by more mundane means.

Upon exiting the tower I found a fresh horror awaiting me. My squire had arrived along with a force of my clanponies, only to find Nimbus’ body. She was on her knees next to the corpse, openly sobbing. “No, no, no, no. It c-c-cannot be! Y-you were supposed to be safe. Nothing was supposed to happen here!”

There were no words I could offer that would take away her pain. I stepped to her side, I silently placed a hoof on her shoulder. She jerked in surprise at the contact but stilled a moment later, slowly turning her gaze up to me. I will ne’er forget the expression on her face, the sheer agony within her eyes. “S-s-she's, she's...”

“I know.” I stepped closer to her. “This was not supposed to happen. I sent her here to keep her safe, and instead I sent her to her doom.”

“My brother, and now my sister-in-law and her unborn child.” She shook her head, wiping away her tears. “It is not your fault, Lady Shadow. You tried to keep her safe, it is the enemy who murdered her. Is there no end to the evil of these—these monsters?! Cutting down a pregnant mare...” Her eyes flicked to the wound on Nimbus’ back. “And treacherously. E’en heavy with foal, Nimbus would slay many if they faced her fairly.”

She sighed, her entire body deflating as she stared down at the dead mare. “How much more must I lose before this is over? Now there is nothing left of my brother.”

“There is still something. So long as he lives on in thy heart, he is not lost.” E’en as I spoke them I knew the words would seem hollow to the young mare freshly mourning the slain, but what else could I say? No mere words could fill the hole left behind by her brother’s death.

“It is precious little right now.” She slowly turned her back on Nimbus, sniffling and once more wiping the tears from her eyes. This time, no more replaced them. When she spoke the pain was still raw in her voice, but she at least attempted to hide it and play the part of a soldier. “The enemy must have attacked suddenly. Before an alarm could be raised.”

“Aye, most likely.” I had already concluded as much, but saw no reason to stop her. Perhaps White’s mind would grasp upon a fact that had eluded me.

“Nimbus was struck from behind.” White paused a moment, closing her eyes to compose herself ere she continued. “It seems likely she did not e’en know her attacker was there until the blow fell. Most of the guards do not even have blood on their weapons. Unless they were wholly outclassed by their attackers, they did not have time to defend themselves.”

I grimaced and nodded. “Whoever conducted this strike had to be incredibly skilled to coordinate the ambush of an entire squad so perfectly.” My face darkened as the other possible explanation sprang to mind. “Or been trusted enough that they could draw close before striking.”

White nodded, wiping her nose and taking up her halberd. “Treason, then ... aye, that seems entirely too likely. Nimbus and her soldiers were too good to miss the approach of a large ambush force, or to fall without sounding the alarm. Far more likely that whoe’er it was that struck the blow was known to them and allowed to approach to within striking distance.”

It seemed White was in accord with mine own thoughts on the matter. If there were traitors within our midst, the next question was an obvious one: who might they be? Two suspects immediately sprang to mind. “Dost thou know where Dusk and Dawn Charger might be found?”

White’s countenance darkened at the mention of Bright’s children. “Are they not being hosted in the palace?”

“They are,” I confirmed, “But I would have them before me now. I would also like assurances that their whereabouts for the last several hours can be fully accounted for.”

White’s eyes narrowed. “You think they are behind this?”

“Two ponies could not manage this on their own,” I demurred. “I merely wish to know if they can be accounted for.”

White nodded sharply. “Then I recommend sending a pair of your fastest warriors to the palace to secure them.” she scowled and added under her breath. “If they can be secured, that is.”

“See to it,” I ordered.

White saluted crisply. “I shall do so, my lady.”

After White’s departure, I o’ersaw the care of our fallen. I had sent them all to their doom with this assignment, and ensuring their bodies were honorably buried was the least I could do.

No. Not the least. There was one more thing I could do, that I must do. I would avenge them.

As I finished my task, Sunbeam stormed out of her tower. The snarl on her lips and the fact that she came to me rather than making haste elsewhere told me how successful her efforts had been e’en before she spoke. “It is no use. Whoe’er has taken Midnight has strength enough to hide her from my sight. E’en with all my power and blood samples to enhance my spells, I could learn nothing. I am sure thou canst grasp what that means.”

“The Avatar has her,” I concluded.

Sunbeam nodded grimly. “Only an alicorn’s strength could deny me so utterly. Against any mortal magus, I would at least have gained something from mine efforts. Her agents have somehow entered the city, or possibly e’en the monster herself,.”

“We shall begin a search at once,” I assured her. “There are only so many places she could hide.”

“Aye, and yet far too many.” She scowled and shook her head. “Every soldier searching the city is one not manning the walls. They would need to search in force, for the Avatar could easily o’erwhelm an isolated patrol. If we pull enough strength from our defenses for a proper hunt, ‘twill give Rightly the perfect chance to break us.” She sighed. “And that presumes she is e’en still within Canterlot. If she found her way within our defenses, it is entirely possible she could leave as well.”

“And if thy fears regarding her connection to thy child are true...” I grimaced at the unpleasant conclusion. “We have little time to find her.”

Sunbeam trembled, and I saw another flash of terror in her eyes before fury subsumed it. “Aye, it seems likely the worst is true. If ‘twere not, why would the Avatar risk personally coming to Canterlot?” She began marching down the street, headed directly for the palace. “Perhaps Her Majesty will know success where I failed, and can match her strength ‘gainst the Avatar’s. A thin hope, but better than none. Mayhaps one of mine agents within the city has seen something that could help us find find the Avatar or her agents as well. I certainly do not intend to sit about wringing my hooves while my daughter needs me.”

“Then let us waste no time.”

We made all haste to the palace, but ere we arrived at the Commander’s throne room we came across my squire clapping Dusk and Dawn Charger in irons. T’was perhaps a touch more zealous than I had intended for ponies who were still entitled to the rights of guests and allies, but considering her recent losses I could not fault my squire for her actions. “I see thou hast found them. Well done, White.”

White finished attaching the manacles to Dusk, then turned about and crisply saluted me. “My lady, I was planning to inform you of such as soon as I finished securing them.”

I nodded to her, then gave Dusk and Dawn my full attention. “Account for thyselves and thy whereabouts for the last day.”

Dawn began to open her mouth, but hesitated and looked to her brother. After a long enough pause to make me suspicious, he finally answered. “I was walking about the city when I was contacted by one of the Avatar's agents. It seems that sympathizers within the city allowed her entry, and she is currently hiding within Duke Line’s manor. My brother attempted to persuade us to rejoin her, and when we refused to do so it led to violence.” His shoulders slumped. “I ... I was forced to defend myself. My brother is dead.”

White’s eyes narrowed. “Ah, so thou art a kinslayer now atop all thine other crimes? Assuming thou art not merely lying to us.”

“I am not.” Dusk insisted. “Call me an accursed kinslayer and a traitor if you must. I have earned those titles and worse. Throw me in the dungeons, e’en. I only ask that you spare my sister. You will need her skills, and she is innocent of any wrongdoing.”

Dawn frowned at him. “Dusk, ‘twas I who—”

“My sister,” Dusk quickly cut her off, “has done nothing wrong. Punish me howe’er you think fitting, I am guilty of enough, and of little use to you. Dawn is innocent, and a chirurgeon who could save many lives.”

“Right now I care not which of thee is guilty of what,” I growled out. “The both of thee are for the dungeons until we can verify your claims. You say the Avatar is hiding within Lord Line’s mansion? What of Midnight Sparkle? Is she there as well?”

Dusk hesitated again. “I expect she is there, then. The Avatar expressed some interest in her, and I cannot imagine it is a coincidence that—”

“She is there,” Dawn cut in. “We both saw her with our own eyes. The Avatar intends to sacrifice her as part of some dark ritual.”

Sunbeam snatched Dawn’s chain, savagely yanking her forward. “And how is it that you know that? Thy brother claimed you merely met a messenger.”

Dusk bit his lip. “They ... Flash told us that—”

“Do not.” Dawn was limp in her chains. “Brother, surely you cannot think them so brainless as to believe such transparent lies. E’en if ‘twere the truth, they would likely hang us on principle. As it stands ... aye, we have earned that.”

“No,” Dusk grimaced and shook his head. “I have. I led the attack on your tower, Archmagus. Dawn played no part in it. She—”

“I do not care if she is innocent,” Sunbeam snarled. “Thy desperate attempts to defend her just make me want to kill her for the pain ‘twould cause thee.” She turned to White and nodded. “Take them to the dungeons for now. I will want a few days to come up with something suitably gruesome for their executions.”

“Why tell us this?” I demanded. “Thou hast confessed to perfidy, and thy lives are forfeit. Why tell us this rather than remain with the Avatar?”

“The Avatar hid her intentions for Midnight,” Dawn murmured. “’Twas not until after her capture that I learned of her plans to sacrifice her. Had I known...” She grimaced and shook her head. “It matters not what I might have done, only what I did. Hang us if you wish, but that is the truth.”

“A request I am sure we will be more than willing to accommodate,” White snarled. She turned to us, scowling. “I trust I do not need to warn you that this might be a trap?”

“It might,” I agreed, “But we cannot afford to ignore it. His account may indeed be genuine.” ‘Twould certainly be a dangerous plan to confess to crimes deserving of summary execution merely to feed us a bit of misinformation.

Sunbeam grunted and nodded. “If it is an ambush, then there is still a substantial rebel force within our walls—one that will grant us the opportunity to capture prisoners who should know where the Avatar really is. They will tell us everything they know ere I finish with them.”

White saluted crisply. “Shall I inform the Guard to ready whate’er forces they can spare to march on Duke Line’s mansion?”

“Aye. Then see to the prisoners.” I would have gone into further detail about our deployment, but I noted that Sunbeam was already walking away. “Sunbeam, wait for—”

“I will not!” she snapped, not e’en breaking stride or turning her back on me. “I will not wait while those monsters hold my child. I am going to Duke Line’s mansion. Now. Keep up, or be left behind.”

My first instinct was to reason with her, but I knew full well that a mother whose child was in peril could not always be reasoned with. “White, spread the word for our forces to move quickly, and meet us en-route to the mansion.”

Just giving those hasty orders gave Sunbeam time to make it halfway down the street, and I wasted no time catching up with her.


Thankfully, White was able to scramble a few squads of my clanponies ere we arrived at Line’s manor. We all remained behind or to the side of Sunbeam herself as we advanced. I did not think it wise to place any of my forces between Sunbeam and her objective.

The wisdom of that was amply demonstrated when we arrived at the front gates of the Duke’s manor, and two seconds later Sunbeam strode o’er the molten remnants of said gate.

Duke Pure Line rushed out the front doors to meet us—judging by his half-dressed state, we had caught him by surprise. Sweat poured down his cheeks, and even from halfway across the courtyard he stank of fear. A few moments later his son exited behind him, looking only slightly more dignified. “A-Archmagus Sparkle! Lady Protector Shadow! What an unexpected honor. How might I be of serv—”

“Where is my daughter?” Sunbeam’s voice seemed deceptively calm, her rage confined to her blazing eyes for the moment.

“Y-your daughter?” Pure swallowed nervously, his eyes darting to the side. “I am afraid I have no idea where she could possibly—”

There was a bright flash of light, and a sudden wave of heat. When the light faded, there was nothing left of the duke save a shadow ‘gainst the wall.

Sunbeam turned to his son. “Where is my daughter?”

Proud whimpered, and my nostrils flared as I caught the stench of fresh urine. “Sh-she’s in the basement, one of the storage cupboards we use for—”

“Thank you.” Another flash followed, and Proud joined his father in oblivion. Her eyes flicked to the Duke’s guards, and while she said nothing magic continued swirling about her. The soldiers divested themselves of weapons with impressive alacrity, rushing towards the relative safety of mine unit.

While my soldiers took them into custody, Sunbeam continued forward. In hindsight, I should have realized that she was far too o’erwrought to think tactically. I suppose I had become too accustomed to her cold, analytical mood. Normally, she would have noticed that my forces were occupied with the prisoners and would have waited until we were finished before moving into the manor itself. Howe’er, with her daughter in mortal peril and rage burning in her heart, she spared no thought for battlefield tactics, charging into the manor well before any of us were ready to accompany her.

I set about securing the surrendered traitors as quickly as possible so that we could move forward to support her. Most of them offered no resistance, their spirits utterly crushed by Sunbeam’s show of power. Howe’er, I noted one of the guards standing near the front door, trembling. At first I assumed him merely shaken by Sunbeam’s brutality, but as I approached to drag him to towards the rest of my forces I noticed blood dripping from his nose. Yet he bore no obvious wounds.

I knew the warning signs of dark sorcery being afoot, but before I could call out a warning to my soldiers a tremor passed through the air itself, bringing a carrion stench to my nostrils. Every other pony staggered back as though struck, and many of them began bleeding from the nose as well. The one prisoner who had been too close to the doorway shrieked in pain, blood now trickling from the corners of his eyes and down his ears as well.

A crackling field of electricity sprang across the doorway, barring the entrance Sunbeam had used to infiltrate the manor. A quick glance to the nearby windows confirmed that they were similarly blocked by the spell.

Damnation. Sunbeam was in there all alone, and a conjuring of this sort could only be the work of the Avatar, or at least several powerful and highly skilled warlocks. Sunbeam herself was in mortal peril, and if they could keep this field up until they finished whate’er cruelties they planned to inflict upon young Midnight...

Mine armor’s defenses would likely be sufficient to penetrate the barrier, but ‘twas still more prudent to wait. If the Commander was not on her way already, she would be soon enough. Her strength would shatter the enemy defences and allow our full forces entry. Sunbeam might well die in the interim, but perhaps not. E’en outnumbered and outmatched, she was a resourceful mare and almost madly determined to protect her daughter from harm. If anypony could survive in such poor circumstances, ‘twas she.

Howe’er, waiting outside while Sunbeam was in danger sat ill with me. She was my comrade in arms, to say nothing of what had passed ‘tween us earlier this night. I could not abandon her, and while she might be able to survive without my help, her odds were certainly much better if I was fighting at her side.

I glanced back to my soldiers, who seemed to have recovered from the worst of the spell’s effects. “Try to find another way inside, they might not have blocked every entrance. Send a messenger for more magi, more soldiers, the Commander, and whate’er else we can spare. If the Avatar herself is not here, then her strongest and most dangerous agents are.”

With that settled, I turned to the barrier and charged through, ducking my head so that my helmet would protect my face. The energy barrier crackled and hissed in protest as I forced my way through it, and while mine armor grew a bit warmer as I pushed through I had no difficulty penetrating the manor’s defenses.

Upon emerging into the foyer I saw several ponies of the hetairoi in the midst of hastily deploying to defend the entrance, tearing down tapestries and o’erturning tables for makeshift barriers. Mine armor hummed with the energy it had absorbed while penetrating the defenses, and now I had a perfect target to unleash that power upon. With an extended hoof and an effort of will, I lashed out at them. Midnight blue branches of crackling energy erupted from mine armor, setting the enemy pegasi ablaze even as the force of mine attack shredded them to pieces.

For the briefest of moments, I understood what it must feel like to be a war magus like Sunbeam. Wielding such power could be a truly intoxicating experience.

For a long moment, there were no sounds in the foyer save for the crackling of the barrier behind me and the last spasmodic twitches of the slain hetairoi. The smell of charred flesh, both from Sunbeam’s dramatic entrance and mine own efforts assaulted my nostrils, and I quickly searched for any sign of which direction the magus had gone.

It did not take long to find the staircase leading down the basement with the charred remnant of hetairoi armor to one side and a warlock impaled upon an icy spear to the other. Howe’er, as I prepared to descend the stairs an inky blue cloud drifted up from a crack within the stonework, quickly solidifying and taking the shape of the Avatar.

The thing that had once been Bright Charger bared her fangs in a twisted smile. “Ah, Shadow. Such a pleasure to see you again. I only expected to catch Sunbeam with this little trap, but I do appreciate you being accommodating enough to leap into it alongside her. It seems a pity to leave Sunbeam’s death to my minions, but as much as I desire to spill her blood personally, I want yours e’en more.”

“Perhaps Sunbeam will be good enough to cut down your pet warlocks,” I answered coldly. “You above all others should appreciate the wrath of a mother whose child is in danger.”

The Avatar scoffed and shook her head. “You truly are a fool if you think Sunbeam has any feelings for Midnight. A mother’s wrath? From her? The only thing I feared is that she would kill my conduit before I could rescue it from her grasp. I expect Celestia refused to allow it, else she surely would have done so to foil my restoration.”

“Your restoration.” Mine eyes narrowed. “Is what I have been told true, then? Do your plans now involve murdering children? I knew you had fallen from grace when you became the Avatar, but I did not think you could sink so low.”

“Spare me your self-righteous posturing.” The Avatar drew herself up to her full height, conjuring up a lance from the aether. “I have come to kill you, avenge my murdered children and throw down my sister the usurper. This child that you speak of is nothing of the sort. She is no more a pony than one of my discarded feathers or a lock of hair cut from my mane. Midnight is nothing but a fraction of my power separated as part of a failed scheme, and now I shall reunite that part with the whole. ‘Tis no more murder than suturing a wound.”

“You are wrong.” I readied my blades. “That may have been what you intended for her, but Midnight has grown far beyond that. She has as much right to live as any other pony.”

“You are a fool, speaking from ignorance and blinded by your loyalty to my usurper sister,” the Avatar countered. “I suppose ‘tis far easier to tell yourself that I am some foul monster than it is to admit that I seek my rightful throne, and vengeance for the victims of your crimes. Midnight is the instrument of my justice, and your doom. Sunbeam’s machinations change nothing.”

What struck me most about the Avatar’s words was not what she said, but the manner in which she spoke. Bright had always been a mare of passion, driven to do what she believed right. The mare I had known would ne’er speak so coldly of killing a child, and e’en after all that had passed I could not believe that she had so utterly abandoned honor and decency. “Bright ... you became what you are now to avenge your daughter. How did it come to pass that you are stealing away and murdering another mare's child?”

“You dare ask me that?!” the Avatar snarled, almost advancing upon me ere she remembered herself. “E’en if Midnight were a true child rather than what she is, she would be the child of mine enemy, one of the most vile mares to e’er walk the face of Equestria. Sunbeam Sparkle murdered my Thunder—many would call it justice for me to inflict the same pain upon her. Neigh, my pain is still far beyond anything she could conceive of. Her dark heart cannot possibly love, while there was nothing in this world dearer to me than my children.”

“If you love them so much, then why have two of your children abandoned you because of how far you have fallen?” I demanded.

“An obvious lie,” the Avatar snapped.

“Is it?” I met her glare levelly. “How do you think we knew where you were hiding?”

“LIAR!” Bright roared, the walls shaking from her magically enhanced voice. “One of your spies within the manor must have told you. I know Gale and Sunbeam both keep their networks of hidden agents. One of them murdered my Flash, and kidnapped my Dusk and Dawn.”

“You truly believe that?” I shot back. “You think that a single spy could somehow kill one of your children, kidnap two others and escape unnoticed by your own forces? If we had such skilled agents, this war would be long over.”

She said nothing for several seconds, several emotions warring across her face. “You ... Sunbeam must have worked some foul magic upon their minds. Yes, of course, I should have anticipated she would do something so nefarious.” Her eyes narrowed. “I pray you are right, Shadow. I pray she does survive against Hidden and his Warlocks. She does not deserve a quick death in battle after this atrocity. Neigh, her suffering shall be such that centuries from now, ponies shall shudder whene’er they hear her name.”

I considered pressing my point, but ‘twould be no use. If Gale had turned against me, I would sooner believe dark magic was responsible than that she had betrayed me of her own volition. “I think I know the pain in your heart. I felt the shadow of it when my daughter was in peril, and I know Sunbeam feels it now as she rushes to rescue her child. Surely you of all ponies must understand that—”

“You think you know my pain?!” the Avatar shrieked. “You know only the barest fraction of it! Thy child was merely a prisoner. You have no idea how much I wished to show you mine agony, how hard it was to resist the urge to slowly butcher her before your eyes! Had I done that, you might know my pain! My daughter died! She did not even have the honor of a warrior's death!”

I grimaced and nodded. “No, she did not. Lance deserved better, and her demise is a great source of shame to me. Were it within my power to undo it I would, no matter what the cost.”

“Pity you cannot do so.” She leveled her spear at me. “All I can offer you is the chance to atone with your blood on my spear. If you truly regret your actions, I shall give you a swifter and less painful death than you granted my beloved daughter.”

“If this were a matter of honor ‘tween the two of us...” I left the rest of that unspoken, for in truth I do not know what I might have done had the events leading to Lance’s death unfolded in simpler times. “Lance's death was an accident—what you plan for Midnight is willful murder, and while Lance was a soldier on the battlefield Midnight is a mere child. I knew your daughter well enough to say that she would be ashamed by what you do in her name.”

“Do not speak to me of the child you slaughtered!” the Avatar roared. “Your lips befoul the purity of her name every time you speak it! You do not have the right to say my daughter’s name, let alone claim you knew her! Pray you are skilled enough to force me to kill you, for if I take you alive your suffering will eclipse that which I plan for Sunbeam!”

“And what of Midnight’s suffering?” I demanded.

The Avatar’s jaw clenched. “Midnight will give me the power I need to end this war and avenge my children. E’en if everything you claimed about her was true, a single life is a small price to pay for justice.”

“I will not allow you to harm her.” I squared my shoulders, dropping into a ready stance.

“‘Will not allow’?” the Avatar repeated incredulously. “You cannot stop me. I know your tricks now, and I know how to beat them. Soon my followers will o’erwhelm Sunbeam, though do not fear—I will keep your defeat a pleasure for myself alone. You will die gasping upon my spear, seeing everything you hoped to accomplish turn to ashes. I have not decided whether ‘twould be a sweeter revenge to murder your daughter or turn her to my side, but know that one of those will surely happen. And as for my treacherous sister, once I hurl your corpse at her hooves, she will follow you in death, and all of Equestria will finally be mine!”

“You speak a great deal about what you will do once you defeat me.” I took a single careful step back, evaluating the reach and striking range of her lance. “It would perhaps be wise to refrain from making such plans ere you accomplish your first goal.”

“I will enjoy tasting thy blood.” She hefted her spear, making a few token probes to gauge my reaction. “Tonight, I avenge all those that I have lost.”

“No. Tonight you fall.”

Our weapons met, and my greatest battle began.

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aidan Hall
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
Chris Hall
Christopher A Cope
ColdSilverD
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Edmon Star
Emlyn Costilow
Errant
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Jade Walters
Jessica T
MoistGooDragon
Patrick
Ponibius
Shank
Singularity Dream
Sweet Gale
Trinary
waritah
Web of Hope
Zennyth

PreviousChapters Next