• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 19,210 Views, 3,074 Comments

The Lunar Rebellion - Chengar Qordath



One hundred years after Luna’s banishment, unrest among the three pony tribes threatens to plunge Equestria into civil war.

  • ...
48
 3,074
 19,210

PreviousChapters Next
Ascendant Shadows 6

En route to the palace dungeons to speak with Dusk Charger, I encountered a most unexpected and unwelcome distraction.

“Honored Shadow!”

I spared a quick glance to the side, noting that the speaker was one of the many unicorns drafted into the army’s ranks. The stallion stared up at me with a look of rapt admiration that I found most unsettling. He started slightly as mine eyes fell upon him, half-ducking his head as though he were tempted to outright bow to me. “Honored Shadow, I am ... it is truly an honor to—the honor that you do me flatters my ... my honor.”

“I see. Good day.” I turned away from him and proceeded, not wanting to do anything further to encourage such displays. Alas, it seemed that I had already done too much, for soon I had acquired a small coterie of followers dogging my heels. While they did not impede my progress or do anything to directly trouble me, the mere fact that they existed was aggravating. I had not asked to become such an exalted figure, and were it not for Sunbeam’s manipulations, I ne’er would have. ‘Twas enough to make me question whether I had made a grave error in beginning to become somewhat fond of the mare, for all her flaws.

I am sure I made quite the ridiculous sight, strolling down the streets of Canterlot followed by a ragged horde of o’er a dozen off-duty soldiers and civilians. I was almost tempted to turn about and lay into them with the flats of my blades until they ceased this foolishness. Howe’er, such behavior would hardly be proper for the leader of Canterlot’s defenses, regardless of how provoked I had been. Much as it irked me, I had become a symbol to the ponies of Canterlot. ‘Twould be improper to act like a violent brute with mine own subordinates.

Thus, I decided upon a gentler approach. Perhaps if I acknowledged my followers and said a few words, they would be satisfied and depart, allowing me to continue in peace. I took a moment to gather my thoughts, then turned about the face the ponies trailing in my wake.

A hush fell over the street. Not only did the fervent admirers cease their aggravating murmurs of devotion, but many of the ponies who had been continuing about their business paused to watch and listen as they realized that I intended to address the crowd. ‘Twould seem that mine idea had already hit upon a problem: if mine attempt to disperse the mob only resulted in doubling its size, I might well give in to despair.

I cleared my throat, then began. “Yesterday, the Avatar tried to take our city. She came with the full strength of her army, intending to break our gates, slaughter our soldiers, and tear down our homes. It is a day after she attempted to destroy us, and we are still here.”

Unfortunately, it seemed that mine effort to sate the crowd had the opposite effect. Acknowledging them only seemed to fire their enthusiasm, and many within the crowd drew nearer and began to bombard me with a torrent of random questions and requests.

“Honored Shadow, my husband fought with you at the Southern Gates. He is a skilled warrior, and nothing would honor us more than if you would see fit to—”

“Honored Shadow, my wife perished in the fighting yesterday. Can you tell me ... did she suffer? Was it at least quick, clean, and painless?”

“Honored Shadow, can we win this war? I have heard that we’ve only a week’s food remaining in the city, and the army surrounding us has ten warriors for every one of ours!”

“Not to mention the Nightmare!” Another member of crowd called out. “The rebel army is led by the greatest general in Equestria’s history, and an alicorn who might be more powerful than e’en Celestia herself! How can we hope to stand against such strength?!”

A worried murmur passed through the crowd, and the adoration I saw in the eyes of mine admirers faded, with fear taking its place. I hesitated a moment, torn ‘tween two options. I knew ‘twas my duty to calm their fears, yet I could not shake the feeling that doing so would only further their irksome devotion to me. ‘Twas bothersome enough that Sunbeam and Midnight were paying the bards and tale-tellers to build my legend. I could at least take some solace from the fact that their actions were neither desired nor condoned by me. But if I spread of mine own accomplishments in the field, or of my battle with the Avatar...

‘Twould be crossing a line. No longer would I be an unwilling target of Sunbeam’s campaign, I would have taken the first steps towards accepting it. A very small step, mayhaps, but e’en that much unsettled me. I had no wish to encourage further veneration.

And yet, what choice did I have? I could not let fear and doubt take root in the hearts of Canterlot’s citizens. Above all else, sieges are a matter of morale. If the ponies within the walls believed our cause to be hopeless, ‘twas only a matter of time ere one of them threw open the gates and welcomed the rebel army in simply to put an end to their tribulations. Ponies will not live on half-rations for months on end unless they truly believe in their cause.

Much as I disliked it, becoming something of an icon to the common ponies within the city was preferable to allowing morale to collapse. And so, e’er mindful of my duty to Commander Celestia and the realm, I reluctantly raised my voice so that ‘twould carry o’er all the crowd. “The Avatar is not Luna, nor is she e’en the Nightmare. She is a pony imbued with a portion of the Nightmare’s essence and granted the appearance of an alicorn, aye. Yet, she remains mortal. I met her in battle at the Southern Gates. My blades cut into her flesh, and she bled like any other pony. When I wounded her, she fled rather than continue the battle. I defeated her in single combat, and I assure all of thee that this city will defeat her armies and bring the war to a successful conclusion.”

Stunned silence met my declaration, the mass of ponies staring up at me with wide eyes. Finally, one voice shouted out, “Hail Shadow! Shadow Selenicanus!” (1) To mine intense dismay, other ponies took up the cry. ‘Twould seem I would now be doomed to suffer an unwanted attachment to my very name itself.

1: One old unicornian practice was to attach an honor name to a general who won a particularly notable victory. For example, Luna herself was declared Luna Gryphicanus after leading the Liberation of Manehattan from gryphon occupation.

Ere I could find a suitable excuse to flee the scene, an e’en greater horror emerged. A mare, and a quite pregnant one judging by her swollen belly, strode to the front of the crowd. “Honored Shadow Selenicanus, might I beg a boon of thee. I ... my husband passed in the fighting, and ... I would beg thy blessing for our child.”

“My blessing?” I repeated incredulously. Did these ponies truly think that just because I had driven back the Avatar in a single battle I had some manner of special power? That I could somehow offer divine rewards to those who asked for them? ‘Twas utterly preposterous.

My first instinct was to state exactly that and send the mare on her way. And yet, something about the hopeful, almost desperate look in her eyes made me hesitate. A voice within mine own mind, one I fancied sounded like Sunbeam’s, began to wear at my resolve. Would it truly be so onerous to speak a few words to the poor widow? E’en if my blessing had no value, ‘twould surely calm the fears and pain within her heart. Would it not be heartlessly cruel to stomp upon her last hope for her child’s future, merely because I was feeling modest? Surely offering a few simple words of comfort would be the decent course.

I stepped forward, gently placing a hoof o’er her belly. “So be it. Though I cannot say what value it holds, thy child has my blessing.” The relieved smile that spread across the mare’s face at mine empty words made me all the more certain that I had chosen the proper course. Feeling somewhat more certain of myself, I asked, “Does the child have a name?”

“Not as of yet,” she confessed, her eyes nervously darting up to me. “I had wondered if ... I would not want to seem presumptuous, but if you would not object, I would be deeply honored if you would allow me to name the child after you, Honored Shadow.”

In lieu of giving voice to my true feelings of dismay on the matter, I opted for a carefully neutral, “Ah.” I was tempted to modestly refuse the offer, but I feared I would either wound her pride by seeming rude, or my refusal would somehow further enhance my prestige by giving me an unwanted reputation for humility.

Perhaps I had become committed to this course the instant I allowed Sunbeam to continue inflating my reputation. Once I had accepted that I would not only be a leader, but a reluctant icon. No matter how much I disliked my reputation, by not repudiating it I had embraced it. There was nothing left to do but reap what I had sown. “I would not presume to ask that thou wouldst name thy child after me. If ‘tis thy wish to do so, I would be most honored, but I am sure there are more worthy ponies. Mayhaps the child’s father?”

Alas, she did not hear my words. She gently stroked her belly, smiling down at it. “So be it. My child has a name: Shade Ingot.”

I sighed, but accepted that I could do nothing to change this regrettable development without causing e’en worse troubles. Hopefully my visit to the palace dungeons would not go so poorly.


I found Dusk Charger cooling his hooves in the cell next to Rightly’s. He lay listlessly on a simple cot, staring up at the ceiling with almost blank eyes. At first he did not e’en seem to have noticed that I had entered. When I cleared my throat his eyes flicked to me, and after a long moment he slowly rose from his bed, attempting to at least offer the appearance of dignity. “Shadow. I suppose 'tis no surprise that you have come to see me. Tell me, how fares my sister? She does not seem to be in any of the cells near mine own.”

I leaned against the wall, keeping a careful eye on the young Charger. For all his seeming listlessness at the moment, ‘twas entirely possible that he was simply trying to lull me into dropping my guard ere he struck. Regardless, his question was an entirely reasonable one. “Last I heard, Dawn was employed with the other chirurgeons. There are still many wounded from yesterday’s battle in need of treatment, and she is of far more use tending them than locked in a cell. So long as she does not use her freedom to attempt to escape, I see no reason not to allow her to aid us.”

Dusk sighed and listlessly nodded along. “Aye, that is how we treat your medics when we take them. Though I do worry for her safety, given the name she carries and who our mother is.”

I grimaced and shook my head. “That is ... reasonable.” Loathe as I was to admit it, there were no doubt some within Canterlot who would be tempted to take revenge against the Avatar by striking at her children. Though our cause was honorable, not all who fought for it would be paragons of virtue, especially after a long, hard siege. Howe’er, I would not tolerate such behavior. “I give my word that thy sister will be safe so long as she remains within Canterlot’s walls. By blood, she is as much a Kicker as she is a Charger. She is entitled to the protection of my clan during these troubled times.”

Dusk snorted bitterly, shifting about on his cot. “I am sure that if she is e’er freed, Swift and his lackeys will enjoy reminding all who would listen that her Kicker blood spared her.” His eyes flicked to me. “And I do wonder if shared blood is as strong a bond as you would say. One of thy fathers was a Striker, but that has not stopped you from cutting down Strikers when you meet them upon the field of battle. Or e’en your own clan, and your own father.”

I did not care for that truth, but ‘twas a truth nonetheless. “That is on the battlefield. We all have our duties there, whate’er we might prefer. Howe’er, Dawn is not an armed soldier struggling to kill my clanponies, but an unarmed medic tending their wounds. That is a distinction of vital importance, and one I will not allow any warrior under my command to forget.”

Dusk’s eyes lingered on me for several long moments, then he slowly nodded. “Then you have my thanks for that, at least. And ... for what the word of a prisoner who has every reason to attempt to curry your favor is worth, I have applied similar principles in seeing to your daughter’s treatment within our camp. Though we may be enemies, that does not mean we cannot treat one another with honor.”

“Aye, that much is true.” I took a breath, then asked the question that had pressed most heavily ‘pon my mind for the last several days. “How fares my child?”

Dusk slowly rose from his bed, moving to sit on the edge of the cot. “When I last saw her, she was well…” His mouth twitched slightly in a frown as he seemed to realize he was perhaps not using the most fitting of words, “Miserable on account of her situation—captivity does not agree with her—but she was well in body, at least.”

I grunted and nodded. “How badly has she been mistreated?”

Dusk’s eyes narrowed. “Not so badly. I have not allowed it.” He grimaced. “Though it has not always been easy. Swift would have enjoyed making a public spectacle of having her flogged. While Mother will listen to reason, he whispers poison into her ears whene’er I am not present to prevent it.”

The dread that had hung o’er my heart e’er since the Avatar had announced her intentions finally faded. “Truly? Thou didst save her from that? Then I am in thy debt.” Ere I could know too much relief, I realized the uglier implications of his words. Though he had shielded Gale from abuse in the past, he could hardly continue to do so from a prison cell.

A wry grin crossed his lips. “I suspect Mother intends to wed me to her once the war is done, so that the Kickers will accept the new leadership of Pegasopolis and the wounds of civil war might be healed. I could hardly allow my future wife to be mistreated so publicly. And my good conduct does seem to have made her despise me slightly less than she once did. She did not e’en attempt to mistreat me for the rest of the day.” He trailed off, then shook his head. “Though I would not have you think I acted as I did to curry her favor. I did what was right. There seems to be too little of that these days.”

“Far too little,” I agreed grimly. After a moment’s thought, I chose to attempt amicable conversation, for the moment. He might let slip some important item of intelligence if he saw me as a friend. “Thou hast told me of my child, and I of thy sister. It seems rude not to ask after the remainder of thy family.”

Dusk’s face darkened, and one of his hooves ground against the floor. “I think you would know a good deal about the condition of my family. Though I do not believe you intended to slay Lance, she would yet live were it not for your actions. I would say that I have buried a brother as well, but Sunbeam Sparkle did not leave behind enough to allow us a proper burial. And let us not forget the dearest friend I had, slain by your warriors in the tunnels beneath this accursed city. Her daughter is an orphan now, all because of this damnable war. Do not think that just because I treat your daughter well and speak courteously to you, I have forgotten all the ills I have suffered at your army’s hooves.”

I sighed and nodded grimly. I could hardly deny the truth of his words. “Aye, thou hast lost much to this conflict. But do not think that thou art unique in that. I too have buried kin and friends, as has almost every pony within this city. That is the cruelty of war, and the even sharper cuts that civil war inflicts. We both speak of the righteousness that shall follow our victory, but I find myself wondering what will become of Equestria once this madness ends. Could I truly stand in the halls of the Ephorate and name as brothers and sisters the ponies I once fought against? Certainly there can be no peace ‘tween the Avatar and I, and I fear this tale shall be repeated a thousand times o’er. How can we hope for peace when we yearn to avenge the fallen in our hearts? And how many more will die in the quest for vengeance, starting the cycle anew?”

Dusk grunted, lying back on his cot once more. “I fear you might be correct. Perhaps I should dream of cutting you down to exact righteous retribution, but in truth ... I am simply too tired. I am weary of all this death and violence. In the last battle, the only thing that gave me the strength to carry on was the thought that my victory might finally put an end to this madness. I have found that war is not nearly so glorious as so many of the elders in the Gerousia insisted.”

“Neigh, I have found little glory on the battlefield.” My shoulders slumped. “In truth, there are times when e’en the grand cause I fight for is of little concern to me. Though I still believe the Avatar must be stopped and Celestia supported, I do not pray for victory. Only that I will not be forced to bury any more of my loved ones. I had hoped thy sister might bring an end to this war, and instead her death made the conflict all the sharper.”

Dusk’s eyes narrowed, and a faint growl entered his voice. “’Twas not Lance’s death that made the war so cruel. I confess, if I saw one of your soldiers on the verge of striking down Swift Blade, I would do nothing to stop it. Though by law he may be my commander, this war took a foul turn on his account. ‘Twas he who allowed the warlocks within our ranks and prompted them to transform my mother.”

In his anger, I saw an opportunity. “It seems thou dost hate him far more than thou dost me, or any who fight at Celestia’s side. I wonder if perhaps thou art—”

“If you wish for this conversation to remain civil, I would advise not finishing that sentence,” Dusk snapped, his teeth clenching furiously. “Aye, I hate Swift Blade. Far more than I hate you or any who fight alongside Celestia. Do not think that means I would e’en consider turning against my mother. She has been changed, yes, but she is still my mother. I would not betray my nation simply for hate of one ephor.” He rose from the cot, standing and facing me directly. “As for who is the cause of my current misery, much depends on how you view matters. One could argue that this war would have ended quickly if not for you taking your clan to fight for Celestia. With the Kickers at our side, Celestia would have lost a skilled battle leader and a core of experienced warriors. Sunbeam, Crossguard, and Greenwall would have challenged us, but not so badly as you did. And that is assuming that they would e’en remain loyal and carry on the war in the face of such hopeless odds. If not for you, this war might already be o’er and I would not have buried so many whom I loved.”

“Would it comfort thee to know that I have questioned myself many times?” I asked, standing my ground against him. “And that when I have not, Gale has? I have suffered more than one sleepless night, wondering if I should have thrown my lot in with the other Ephors. They once considered naming me as Commander, that I might repair relations ‘tween Pegasopolis and the rest of Equestria. I refused, for I felt that to accept would be to signal mine agreement with the decision to remove Celestia. Now I must always wonder what would have happened had I taken the offer. I might have prevented this entire war.”

I stepped back, resting against the wall. “But then, so many others might also have prevented the war, had they chosen differently. Had the other Ephors allowed Celestia the chance to correct her errors rather than meet her words with suspicion. Had Sunbeam not seen the growing tensions as a chance to advance her own agenda. Or had the earth ponies not ended their election with a murder. There is blame enough to spread across all Equestria.”

“Aye, though I wonder how many of us will accept it.” He fell back upon his cot once more, the fire seeming to leave him. “Does it e’en matter why the war began, or who is at fault? We no longer e’en fight for the cause we once championed—gone are the days when we dreamed of a free Equestria’s destiny lying in mortal hooves. I suspect that now many of our soldiers fight not for any high ideals, but simply because they see you and yours as the enemy. The war has become its own justification.” His tone was now raw with pain. Dusk, it seemed, had at last fully left all his youth behind—he spoke as wearily as any grey-bearded veteran I had ever known.

He slowly ran a hoof down his face. “I wish my sister were here. She was the only one who might have forged an end to this madness, and she was not e’en given the opportunity to die in battle. They will sing no ballads of Lance Charger or how she died in a medic’s bed because she suffered a bout of ill fortune. She deserved better.”

“She deserved to live,” I answered simply. After a moment’s consideration, I revealed a secret that likely no longer needed to be kept. “Celestia had grand plans for her. She felt Lance was the key to reuniting Equestria. She intended to raise her to an alicorn, and mayhaps e’en offer her Luna’s old throne. I did not know Lance as well as I would have liked, but I think that she would have made a fine queen.”

Dusk’s eyes went wide with surprise, and he stared at me for some time. “My sister? An alicorn queen, ruling at Celestia’s side? I ... I confess, I cannot imagine such a thing. But I do wish I could have had the chance to see it.” He sighed, scuffing a hoof along the floor. “Certainly I would prefer bowing to Queen Lance o’er burying her, and all the other miseries I have suffered. Lance and Thunder dead, Flash half-mad with grief, and Dawn suffering a thousand barbed comments simply because half her blood comes from your clan. And Shield ... my youngest brother is far too young to witness war in all its cruelty.”

“We have all lost far too much,” I agreed. “And I fear we shall lose e’en more ere this is ended.”

He nodded glumly. “That, I think, is the one thing we can all agree upon.” He tapped the floor. “But I suspect you will seek to find more common ground than that. I have little else to occupy my time in a cell, so make your case. What would you persuade me of?”

“In truth, I do not e'en know,” I confessed. “I think ‘tis plain enough that thou wouldst not turn against the Avatar, whate’er I offered.”

“She is my mother,” Dusk answered simply. “I would no sooner turn against her than Gale would betray you.”

I prudently opted not to mention that I had mine own fears about whether my daughter’s loyalty was as absolute as I had once believed. ‘Twould only bring me misery to dwell upon such things. “But the Avatar is not thy mother,” I argued. “Not wholly.”

“But something of her is my mother,” he countered. “I do not understand all that has changed within her. In truth, not e’en Hidden Facts does, and he is the one who brought those changes about. Howe’er, she yet holds to mother’s sense of honor, and her rage at Lance’s death burns as hot as it did before her transformation. I may have concerns, but I am her loyal son.”

I had expected no other answer, yet my duty had required that the request be made. And ‘twould perhaps make him more amenable to the true offer. “Let us speak of Swift Blade, then. It seems that for all our differences, we share an enemy in him.”

Dusk frowned, bringing a hoof up to his chin. “That may well be true. The lines for that have become far grayer than I like. He is certainly no friend of mine, and I think much would improve if he were to die. I am sure you feel much the same way, given that he leads the armies arrayed against you.” He sighed and fell back upon his cot, despondent. “Howe’er, there is a vast gulf ‘tween desiring his removal and bringing it to reality. He has stacked the Ephorate with his puppets. They know their position would be lost if he were to fall, and so they stand firmly with him. Steel is the only one who might support his removal, and he has only one of the five votes. While Mother could remove him without a vote, e’er since her change she has been difficult to anticipate. She would ne’er have entertained Swift’s plan to abuse your daughter had she been in her right mind.”

“Then it seems we must find another means of removing him.” I turned my mind to the matter, pleased that Dusk had already begun to see common cause with me. He was hardly on the verge of defection, but I would settle for his cooperation in Swift Blade’s downfall. “I doubt he would e’er place himself on the battlefield, especially not after his duel with Greenwall.” A faint smile crossed my face. “A pity thou didst not witness him fleeing and hiding from a mere earth pony. Such open cowardice would certainly offer ground to challenge his right to lead, and given that he could not win against a militia captain...”

Dusk grinned and snorted. “I expect my youngest brother could defeat him in single combat.” Howe’er, his smile faded quickly. “Alas, he is all too aware of that fact. His rank provides some insulation against challenges from among the common soldiery, and he will certainly exercise his right to refuse if I were to declare him a coward.” He grimaced and amended, “I expect he would only accept if he knew for certain that one of the warlocks would be willing to serve as his champion. While I am confident that I could beat Swift, I have heard it said that Hidden stood against Sunbeam Sparkle and gave a good account of himself. I am no coward, but I do not have my mother’s skills as a duelist. The last time I stood against an archmagus in battle, Sierra and I both would have died if not for Lance’s intervention. I would not throw my life away.”

“Art thou so certain any would stand with him with his cowardice revealed?” I pressed. “Swift makes a poor ally. It may be that e’en the warlocks would see no benefit in continuing to prop up such a weak leader.”

The rebel shrugged helplessly. “I cannot say with certainty. By their very nature, warlocks are treacherous and unpredictable. I am certain Hidden would betray Swift without hesitation if he believed ‘twould be to his advantage to do so, but I am wary about what it would take to convince him I am the better alternative. And of course, he would betray me just as quickly.” He ran a hoof through his mane. “Swift is a weak and vulnerable leader, but it may be that Hidden prefers that. If the only thing keeping Swift from being deposed is the warlocks’ support, then Swift would have little choice but to give in to anything the warlocks demand of him. I would certainly be in a far better position to oppose him, if I were to take Swift’s place.”

“Then it seems a challenge is a less than ideal tactic.” I would certainly not wish to trust our fortunes to the whims of a warlock. Such a course could only end badly. Howe’er, if Swift could not be challenged or defeated in a vote... “Some added factor is needed for our plans to succeed. I think perhaps the flaw lies in the challenger.” I paused, inclining my head to him. “Meaning no offense, but thy rank is low enough that he has more options to respond to thee. If another member of the Ephorate were to personally name him as a coward, he could not leave the matter to a warlock. Couldst thou persuade Steel to issue such a challenge?”

Dusk drew in a sharp breath, and his gaze slowly fell to the floor. “It ... may be possible, aye. But I fear such a course would not be wise.” He took a deep breath, as though steeling himself to face a difficult truth. “Steel Striker should have retired to the Gerousia. His wounds are too severe for anything else. The only reason he has not given up his seat is fear that Swift would replace him with another puppet. It may be that he is so crippled that e’en as poor a warrior as Swift could defeat him. If that were to happen, he would have successfully defended himself against the charge of cowardice, and we would lose the only sane voice remaining on the Ephorate. And ... Steel deserves a better death than one at Swift Blade’s hooves.”

Grim as the news was, I should not have been surprised by it. Steel had been wounded just as savagely as Crossguard during their duel, and he was only a few years younger than the old Grandmaster. While an old warrior can still fight fiercely, wounds that a younger soldier could recover from in a matter of days heal far slower on an old and battered body.

Howe’er, not all hope was lost. “There is one other whose challenge Swift would be unable to ignore. One other who he would have to personally face in battle.”

“And who would that be?” Dusk asked. “The Ephorate does not recognize you as a member, and he would certainly ignore any challenge you offered.”

“I do not intend to challenge him.” A faint smile spread across my lips as my plan took shape. “I had somepony in mind. The stallion sitting in the cell next to thee.”


Though I knew the next step to my rapidly forming plan, I needed a moment to prepare myself to take it. It was no small thing I had in mind—if my plan succeeded, I would shift the entire course of the war. ‘Twas nearly as bold as what Commander Celestia had intended to achieve with Lance, and indeed the two plans were in much the same vein: to take a current enemy and turn them into an asset that might end the war in a single stroke. I could only hope that my plan would not end so badly as the Commander’s had.

Once I believed myself ready to face Rightly Doo, ‘twas simple enough to see it done. I had the keys to his cell along with Dusk’s. It seemed that his prolonged captivity had not agreed with the stallion who might have been my husband in better times. His mane had grown somewhat ragged and unkempt, and his face now sported the beginnings of a scraggly beard. Likely his jailors had been reluctant to provide him with a blade to groom himself, though I could hardly blame them for such caution. I also noted a certain slackness to his frame, as though the muscles built by a lifetime of training had begun to fade. Small surprise, given how long it had been since he had enjoyed any time outside his cell.

His eyes, somewhat more sunken than I remembered, fixed upon me as I entered his cell. “Shadow. It has been some time. I had begun to wonder if you had forgotten me.”

“Never.” Despite all that had happened, a part of me wanted to smile at seeing him again. “How does the day find th—” I caught myself ere I could slip into the old familiarity I had once shared with him. “How does the day find you?

Rightly’s face shifted to a carefully impartial mask, though he gave no other reaction to my choice of words. Though the fact that he felt the need to guard his emotions from mine eyes spoke plainly of his state of mind. “The day passes tolerably enough, or at least as tolerable as any day in a dungeon can. Yourself?”

“I have some frustrations,” I admitted. “Some of them seem rather petty and unimportant in a city under siege. Howe’er, a plan to solve some of the most pressing matters is forming.”

“I did not think you had come merely for a social call.” His eyes flicked to the wall where his cell joined Dusk’s. “Unless Dusk’s other neighbor is particularly interesting, I presume you were referring to me during your discussion with him?” A wry grin briefly ghosted across his lips. “I thought it difficult to keep a secret in a war camp. Dungeons are far worse in that regard. A prison’s bars do a poor job of muffling conversations.”

I grunted and nodded, not surprised in the least. “I presume you know why I have come to you, then?”

He settled back onto his cot, though his eyes never left mine. “You hope to use me to remove Swift—and unless I miss my guess, you intend to free me from this prison to see it done. I admit, any plan which involves releasing me has mine attention. It is most unpleasant to be a helpless observer to the great war to determine the future of Equestria. Howe’er, I have yet to be convinced that I should help you against your enemies to earn my freedom.”

Though I had hoped he would not be difficult, I had not truly expected it. Captivity had made him wary of kindness, and in truth my goals were hardly altruistic. “Swift Blade is not just mine enemy, he is yours as well. You do not care for him any more than I do, else you would not have exiled him to Manehattan when first he consorted with warlocks. I cannot imagine you approve of the course he has taken in your absence.”

He scowled. “If half of what Dusk tells me is truth, he has destroyed the very cause we went to war for. He has shamed the name and reputation of Pegasopolis in ways that would take lifetimes to cleanse.” He paused a moment, then carefully repeated, “If what Dusk tells me is true.”

“You do realize I can hear you, Commander Rightly,” Dusk groused from the adjoining cell.

“And I do not wish to question thy honor,” Rightly answered. “Howe’er, these are uncertain times. By thine own admission, Swift is very much thine enemy, and thou wouldst do much to see him and his works undone. But whate’er else Swift may be, he is also an Ephor of Pegasopolis. I would prefer to see the truth of thy charges with mine own eyes ere I condemn him for any crime.”

“That is only reasonable,” I allowed. “And if that is so, then it is most fortunate that I am willing to offer you the opportunity to see and speak with him once more.”

Rightly’s eyes fixed upon me, narrowing suspiciously. “You would so readily release me? You will forgive me for doubting the word of a fellow clan leader, but I find that hard to believe after months of captivity.”

I could hardly blame him for his wariness, given the circumstances. Especially when he was right to be cautious. “I am not making this offer out of the kindness of my heart. There are conditions to your release.”

“I expected nothing less.” He took a deep breath and squared his chest. “Very well. Name them, and I will decide if your price is worth paying.”

I wasted no time naming my first demand. “Gale.”

Rightly answered with a shallow nod. “I had already assumed you would demand her return. I have no objection to it.”

“I will have your word on it, or you will ne'er leave this cell,” I assured him.

“My word?” He blinked, staring at me with a confused frown. “Why would you require that? Surely you intend to exchange me for Gale.”

“No.” I grimaced and shook my head. “After what happened with Lance, I do not think 'twould be wise to attempt a formal prisoner exchange. ‘Twould only remind the Avatar of her loss, and likely prompt her to lash out at my child. Howe'er, my plan is to install you as the new warleader of Pegasopolis. Once you are secure in your position, it would be well within your authority to order Gale’s release.”

He took a deep breath, then slowly nodded. “So be it, then. You have my word of honor, as an ephor and warrior of Pegasopolis. As soon as I am able, I will see to it that Gale is released from her captivity and returned to you. It is a small enough price to pay for securing the future of Pegasopolis and mine own freedom.”

With that matter settled, I moved on to the more contentious point. “Second, both you and Dusk must swear a parole oath upon your release.” (2)

2: An old custom for dealing with prisoners of war during a period of time when maintaining large numbers of POWs would have consumed excessive resources. The prisoners would be released on the condition that they swear not take up arms again for a set period of time, usually the duration of the war. Naturally, there was quite a bit of variation on the exact definition of what constituted ‘taking up arms.’ Violating a parole oath was usually seen as grounds for summary execution if the violator was captured again.

Rightly grunted and nodded. “I will need to hear the exact oath ere I agree swear it, but so long as it is not grossly unreasonable I do not see any reason to object to it. I presume Gale will be held to the same conditions that we will?”

“She will not,” I countered. “Her release will be free and without condition. She will not be placed under any obligation that would impede her ability to serve me in whate’er capacity I would ask of her.”

A faint frown flickered across his face. “That is not an equal bargain.”

“We are not making an equal exchange,” I rejoined. “Gale is my daughter, and I love her dearly, but she is only the heir to my clan, while you are a clan leader, Ephor, and at the time of your capture Acting Commander of Pegasopolis. Not to mention I am releasing Dusk as well, and the both of you will be released before Gale. You are correct, it is not an equal bargain. E’en with Gale being released free of obligation, this accord favors you heavily.”

“Then perhaps there should be more equal terms.” Rightly’s eyes flicked to wall separating his cell from Dusk’s. “Though I hesitate to say it, I see little reason to free both myself and Dusk in exchange for your daughter. If only one of us were released in exchange for Gale...”

“You do know I can still hear you, Commander,” Dusk groused again from his adjoining cell.

“I do not think either one of you would suffice alone,” I argued. “As you have said, Rightly, you have been long absent from the rebel camp. Dusk knows who stands against Swift and who supports him. E’en if he briefs you at length regarding the current politics within the rebel army, it is a poor substitute for having him present. Not to mention he cannot serve as your ally from a dungeon cell. You need his help, and his freedom. That freedom comes with a price.”

He grimaced and conceded the point with a reluctant wave. “So be it, Gale may return to your side, and from there return to the battlefield once more without loss of honor. Nor will she be considered an oathbreaker if captured again,” a faint smile flicked across his face. “Though if that should happen, she will not be released unless you manage to strike a new bargain with me. Not to mention what it would say about the quality of her training.”

The jest surprised me, though perhaps it should not have. Small wonder Rightly would be in such a good mood when he was on the verge of regaining his freedom.

“Well then,” Rightly continued, “It seems that the next order of business is the oath itself. I confess that after months in a cell, I would be reluctant to immediately hurl myself back upon the battlefield regardless. While I am far from crippled, the blade is no longer as keen as it once was. Celestia’s guards ne’er allowed me a spear to practice with. Though I expect my skills will return to me quickly enough.”

“It matters little if they do,” I grunted out. “You will not take up arms against myself, Sunbeam, Commander Celestia, or any soldiers sworn to our cause for the duration of this conflict. Nor will you order any soldiers under your authority to do so.”

“You would deny me the chance to earn any glory on the battlefield, or e’en lead my soldiers to victory?” He shook his head. “Neigh. I have not lingered so long in prison, only to return to an army I cannot take into battle. Nor could I ask any soldier to go to war when I could not join them. A commander who cannot fight alongside their soldiers has no right to send them to battle. Such terms are cruel.”

I met his gaze unflinchingly. “And if I offer more generous terms? Yes, you would lead your soldiers to battle, and gain whate’er honor and glory you feel you lost during your captivity. And you would kill my soldiers to do so. If I release you, every soldier who dies at your hooves is my responsibility. As a commanding officer, I intend to take all steps needed to ensure that none of the warriors who have entrusted their lives to me die needlessly.”

“Your terms are harsh indeed.” Rightly sighed, his shoulders slumping in resignation. “But your position is strong. I am your prisoner. It is the way of the strong to extract concessions from those in a weaker position. Much as I dislike it, removing Swift and his warlocks from command of our armies is more important than one stallion’s pride. I can endure such terms to gain my freedom and save Pegasopolis from Swift’s tyranny.” He scoffed, squaring his shoulders. “I am not so vain as to think that I am the only one capable of leading Pegasopolis’ armies in battle. Once I have set my house in order, I will find new leaders to carry on the cause. Mayhaps absent Swift’s poisonous influence Bright will also remember her old self. Or perhaps Dusk—if Gale is to be unbound, he should be as well. I think that a small enough request.”

Though I felt ‘twas a concession I had no need to make when the bargain already favored Rightly considerably, it cost me little if ‘twould win his consent. “So be it then. Dusk will be released from any obligation once my daughter is returned. His freedom for hers. Howe’er, I will further require that you will not immediately step down as clan leader or commander of Pegasopolis' forces. Your oaths have little value if you can simply stand aside and allow others to violate them.”

Rightly’s eyes widened. “That is a condition far beyond what a normal parole entails.”

“It is,” I conceded. “I suspect I have spent too much time associating with Sunbeam Sparkle. I prefer an oath that best serves my goals and offers no easy means to bypass it to one that respects all the traditional forms.”

His gaze lingered on me for some time, as though trying to decide how best to respond. When he finally spoke, there was an undercurrent of tension in his words. “If I were to agree to such an oath, it would be tantamount to surrendering Pegasopolis to you. I would be a commander who could not order a single one of my soldiers into battle. Why maintain the pretense of parole at all? Simply demand that I agree to surrender here and now.”

A cold smile flickered across his lips. “But of course you cannot do that. You know as well as I do that my soldiers would not feel bound by a surrender I ordered whilst in your custody. Though if you think freeing me and binding my honor would suffice to win them o’er, you are mistaken. If I did as you asked I would soon share Swift’s fate. I would be declared a coward by all of Pegasopolis—or worse, that Sunbeam had put a spell 'pon me.”

“I think you underestimate the strength of your reputation,” I answered levelly. “No warrior who knows you would believe you a weakling or traitor. If you call for peace, many would accept that ‘tis the proper course.”

Rightly grimaced and shook his head. “I think you overestimate my value. I expect my prestige has somewhat diminished during mine absence. And e’en at the height of mine influence, there were limits to it. Bright was ne’er one to back away from a fight once battle was joined, and that was before she lost children to this war and underwent her transformation. She would ne’er accept it, nor would the rest of Pegasopolis.” He sighed and began to reach towards me, only to let his hoof fall. “Shadow, I understand what it is you wish. A return to better times. I yearn for it as badly as you do, but I do not think it can happen. The war has come too far. Honorable warriors will not lay aside their arms and have all this death and destruction be for naught. It will not stop until one side or the other claims victory.”

“I do not believe that is so.” I stepped back, so that he would not be able to draw so near to me again. “Do you think the ponies fighting along the walls or laboring in the tunnels truly care so much for victory? I suspect most of them only desire victory because ‘twould mean an end to this madness. They would welcome peace in whate’er form it took.” I took a breath, straightening myself and standing firm. “You have my terms. If you will not agree to them, then it seems we must leave Swift in command.”

Rightly’s eyes narrowed. “This goes too far, Shadow. If I agreed to your terms, I would be remembered as a traitor to Pegasopolis itself. My name would be stricken from the rolls of the Ephorate and my clan, the memory of my words and deeds damned to oblivion. I must do as my conscience dictates.”

“If your conscience dictates that you allow a false Ephor who has betrayed all you believe in to remain in command and drag Pegasopolis into darkness, then I question the value of it,” I snapped out. “When our honor becomes a shackle that prevents us from doing what is right, then it is no longer honor. It has become something else entirely, a twisted parody of its true meaning. What true code of honor could demand that you stand aside and allow evil to occur?”

“You know full well it is not that simple,” Rightly growled. “Your demands would cripple me ere I e’en took command, and mayhaps cause e’en greater evils than mine inaction.” His eyes narrowed, and voice dropped to a low whisper. “Think carefully before questioning my honor again. Though we stand on opposite sides, you still hold a measure of my respect. Do not make me change mine opinion on that.”

“If I must lose your respect to end this war, then I would consider it a bargain.” I closed mine eyes and took a long breath, then slowly turned my back upon him. “It seems you will not listen to reason. So be it then.”

I had only taken two steps towards the door ere Rightly called out to me. “You say it is I who will not see reason? Look to yourself! Are you truly willing to abandon Gale to Swift’s mercies when I was more than willing to return her under any reasonable terms? Think carefully on the consequences of that choice. I heard what Dusk said, how he saved your daughter from suffering mistreatment at Swift’s hooves. So long as he remains in a Canterlot dungeon, he can do little to protect her from any future threats.”

The thought certainly weighed heavily upon my mind, but then it had troubled me e’er since I learned of Gale’s captivity. “I have my duty to Equestria as a whole that must take precedence. If I allow you to return to war so that I may save my daughter, how many more children will perish? Do I tell the thousands who must bury their children that my child was worth more than theirs?” I took in a breath, trying to make myself believe my next words. “I do not think the Avatar would be so quick to harm Gale when I hold two of her own children as hostages. I could redouble any injury my daughter suffers.”

“Could you?” Rightly questioned. “The Shadow I knew would not punish a child for the sins of the mother. And e’en if you could, would it be worth the risk? If Gale dies, would executing two of Bright’s children heal the hole left behind in your heart? I think staining your hooves with innocent blood would only worsen your pain.” He grimaced and shook his head. “This war has changed us, but I do not think it has changed you that much. Offer me reasonable terms of release. I give you my word, Gale shall be returned to you as soon as I can arrange it, and without so much as a scratch. I have no wish to deprive you of your daughter, but I cannot release her unless I am given reasonable terms.”

I whirled about to face him once more. “So you would have me accept your terms and free my child. Not so generous an offer when a few weeks later you would lead the armies of Pegasopolis to take this city and imprison her again. I will not release you only to have you turn your weapons upon this city. 'Twould be tantamount to treason.”

“Yes, I would do all that I could to win the war once released,” Rightly admitted. “That is my duty as an Ephor of Pegasopolis. Mayhaps you should think upon who you would prefer to see victorious: myself, or Swift. If I win the war, I will do all that I can to spare Canterlot the brutality of a sack, and ensure that the peace which follows my victory is an honorable one. So long as you persuade your clan to accept my victory once ‘tis won, I will e’en restore the Kickers to their rightful place in Pegasopolis and allow you an honorable retirement.”

If you win.” I grunted out. “That is far from certain. And howe’er magnanimous you might be in victory, it would not change the fact that every soldier who dies against your forces would be blood upon my hooves. And I am less than certain you could deliver the generous terms you promise; I do not think the Avatar would accept any peace where I survive.”

“Perhaps not, but the terms will certainly be better than if your stubbornness leaves Swift in command.” Rightly countered. “Is that not blood upon your hooves as well? Do you not carry some measure of responsibility for all the crimes he will commit if you do not remove him when you have the chance? And he will certainly not e’en attempt to offer you or your clan any measure of mercy.”

His reasoning troubled me, for there was an element of truth to it. Though if I accepted his logic, my hooves would be drenched in blood no matter what course I chose. Though perhaps that was simply the price of being a warmaster. “Bright will lead the armies—I expect that as the Avatar she would dictate much of the policy regardless of who her general is. I will not obligate you to remain as one of her generals, but you must withdraw your clan from the war effort.”

Rightly shook his head, but a calculating look entered his eye. “I could remove a large portion of my clan’s strength from the siege. Dusk tells me there are convoys to secure, cities to garrison, and loyalist holdouts to be eliminated. My clan will leave the siege and turn its strength to those tasks instead.”

“Freeing the soldiers currently seeing to those duties to join the siege in your place,” I countered. “I am no fool, Rightly. You withdraw your pegasi, and replace them with an equal number of warriors from other clans. You offer me nothing.”

“And you ask for my clan's surrender.” He seated himself upon his cot, turning his back to me. “You threaten to leave if I do not accept your terms? Do so, then. Leave your daughter to Swift’s mercy, if you feel that extorting harsh terms of release is worth that price. And pray, inform Celestia that I wish to speak with her at her earlier possible convenience. I suspect she would be willing to make a more generous offer. I wonder if she e’en still truly wants to wear the crown, given her refusal to join her own soldiers on the battlefield.”

Though he had no doubt intended his words as a dismissal, they inspired a new solution to our seeming impasse. “If you take command on the understanding that we will immediately open negotiations to end the war, I would consider that acceptable.”

His eyes widened, and a thoughtful frown slowly travelled across his face. ‘Twas some time before he finally answered me. “We would negotiate a peaceful end to the conflict? I would find that acceptable if the negotiations themselves were fair.”

I nodded, seeing no reason to argue the point. “Naturally the negotiations must be carried out in good faith, and any breach of that by either party would be seen as a violation of the agreement.”

“And if we cannot come to an agreement?” Rightly asked.

Much as it troubled me, I knew I could only press so far unless I wanted to undo all that I had achieved. “Then ... you are only restricted by the traditional terms of parole. But if I believe you have deliberately refused to negotiate in order to—”

“I have given my word that I will negotiate in good faith, and I shall,” Rightly snapped. “You truly have lingered too long amongst the unicorns, Shadow. You have grown untrusting and suspicious of all, e’en your old friends. I am not Sunbeam Sparkle. When I give my word it is my bond, not an inconvenience I immediately begin searching for a way to escape.”

Though his remark about Sunbeam irritated me more than I would have expected, I saw no reason to poison a promising agreement at this point. “Then it seems we have an accord.” A faint smile flickered across my lips, and I slammed a hoof against the wall adjoining Dusk’s cell. “And what of thee? Do you accept as well?”

Bright’s son was not long in asking. “I would agree to this. ‘Tis a small price to pay to see that smug snake Swift receive his just reward, and the warlocks removed from our camp. And if an honorable peace can be found to end this miserable war, then all the better. I tire of burying those I love.” There was a faint pause, then he asked. “What of my sister?”

“Dawn shall remain in Canterlot for the moment.” I did not need to see Dusk’s face to know that he did not care for that condition. “I am placing a great deal of trust in the both of you, but I do not think I will surrender all of my leverage. If Gale is returned and negotiations begin, she will be released. Until then, we have no shortage of tasks for another chirurgeon.”

Dusk’s answer came in a resigned sigh. “Aye, I suppose that is to be expected.”

Rightly pitched his voice to ensure that it would easily carry to his neighbor. “Seeing to Gale's release will be among my first acts once Swift is removed.”

“Very good then.” I dared to hope that I might have actually reached the agreement I needed to restore my daughter to my side. “Are there any other matters to settle, or are we in accord?”

“I am satisfied,” Rightly answered.

“The sooner I am out of this cell, the better,” Dusk agreed. “Confinement and helplessness do not agree with my constitution, and I do miss Gale’s lovely smile. I do hope that once this war is over I can begin properly courting her. It would do much to heal the damage ‘tween our clans.”

I considered mine answer carefully. “I do not object to it, but ‘tis ultimately her choice.”

“Then there may be hope for me yet.” For the first time since I had spoken to him in his cell, Dusk seemed less the resigned and broken stallion I had seen earlier, and more his usual sardonic self. “I suspect she is growing fonder of me. It has been several days since she last sabotaged my bedding or attempted to poison my food or murder me in my sleep. After what happened with Swift, she e’en expressed some desire for me to remain safe, if only to ensure that no evils would befall her in mine absence.”

There was another pause, and the lighthearted tone left his voice. “Mayhaps this will also be the moment when I can finally see my family healed and my mother given the aid she needs. I do not think that whate’er the warlocks did to fuse my mother with Luna’s spirit is in her best interests. She is certainly no longer as she once was.”

I nodded grimly. “I am sure Commander Celestia would undo the changes the warlocks have wrought in her as part of the peace.” Though whether the Avatar would allow such a thing was another matter entirely. Something I suspect Dusk knew as well as I did, but I could hardly blame him for clinging to any hope that his family might be restored. He had lost enough without also burying his mother.

It seemed there was nothing more to be said, so I let mine actions speak for themselves. I unlocked Rightly and Dusk’s cells, stepping aside and allowing them room to exit. Rightly moved slowly, stretching his wings and revelling in his new freedom. “It seems ... strange to be free at last. A part of me can scarcely believe I am free to go after so long in a cell.”

“Speak for yourself, Commander,” Dusk shot back with a chuckle, a slight spring in his step. “I found a day in the cells to be quite enough, and am eager to return to our camp. Especially if it means an end to this mad war and a return to peace.”

“Let us hope you succeed in your mission, then.” I looked the two of them over. “I think perhaps a visit to the Canterlot baths would be in order first, then your equipment will be returned to you and you will be escorted to the rebel camp.”

Rightly lifted a wing, briefly smelling himself. “Yes. The bathhouse. Most prudent.” He turned back to me, his face grave. “Thank you for your trust, Shadow. You will not regret it.”

“I pray you are right.”

Author's Note:

In case you haven't checked it out yet, go read Ponibius's The Great Snowball War for a fun story about Midnight Sparkle getting into a snowball fight. And how things escalate from there.


As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aaron Kevin Meighen
Aidan Hall
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Chris Hall
Christopher A Cope
Combine
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Edmon Star
Emlyn Costilow
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Jack
Jade Walters
James Miller
Jessica T
Justin Emery
Karl Bragisen
MoistGooDragon
Patrick
Ponibius
Renny Rabbit
Singularity Dream
Stephen
Steven Ilten
Super Trampoline
Sweet Gale
TheAccidentalBrony
Trinary
waritah
Zennyth

PreviousChapters Next