• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 19,202 Views, 3,074 Comments

The Lunar Rebellion - Chengar Qordath



One hundred years after Luna’s banishment, unrest among the three pony tribes threatens to plunge Equestria into civil war.

  • ...
48
 3,074
 19,202

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude 2: Danver Carrot

Once more, we return to “The Assassination of Apple Tree by the Coward Danver Carrot.” As before, I apologize for the author’s strange fondness for back-country accents in both dialogue and narrative.

It bears mentioning that the novel alternated between the perspectives of Apple Tree and Danver Carrot; while the previous excerpt largely concerned itself with Apple Tree’s rise to prominence, this one will focus on the titular event of the work. Interestingly, the book’s title is somewhat deceptive, as it actually portrays Danver Carrot in a far more sympathetic light than he’s traditionally shown in history and popular culture. Apple Tree became something of a romantic martyr after his death, which naturally lead to the demonization of his killer.


It’s purty durn crazy t’think that a year ago, the biggest worry on mah mind was how t’get enough crops outta the ground t’feed mah family. Sounds wrong t’say that ain’t so important now—ain’t nothing more important to a right and proper stallion than takin’ care of his kin—but it weren’t ... big, Ah suppose. Ah mean, ain’t a thing in the world oughta matter more to a stallion than tendin’ to his kin, but ev’ry single farmer in all of Equestria does that. Most of ‘em live out their workin’ land, raisin’ a family, and livin’ out an ordinary life. Prob’ly never goin’ more’n a day’s walk away from the place they was born their whole life, and don’t make no difference to anypony further away than that either. Don’t mean those lives ain’t important to them that lives ‘em, but history’ll just roll on by without nopony takin’ no notice of ‘em.

But everythin’ that happened in the last year? Well, ain’t nopony gonna forget it, that’s for damn sure. Apple Tree aimed to start somethin’, an’ Ah reckon he did a purty good job of it. Had ponies all over Equestria talkin’ about how the common farmer deserves a square deal, and a lotta magnates were already sayin’ they’d think about it. Turns out, when all the sharecroppers say they ain’t gonna do no more work unless they get t’keep a bit more of the crops they’s been growin’, the magnates up and listen. One farmer’s easy to ignore, but when half a magnate’s ‘croppers are gettin’ riled they gotta give up somethin’ to settle ‘em down. So on that score, things’d worked out just fine and dandy.

Thing is, it all had t’go and get so gosh-durned complicated on us.

“Shoulda knowed they was gonna pull somethin’ on us—the magnates were never gonna let us nail ‘em up without tryin’ somethin’,” Apple Tree growled as he paced around in the nice fancified Manehatten hotel suite we’d been set up in for the last couple days.

“Which magnates’re these?” Ah asked. “The ones y’don’t like, or the ones payin’ for our hotel?” Once Tree’d started gettin’ up in the polls, all kindsa ponies with money and power started payin’ real close attention to him. A lotta them tried t’find a way to shut him up, but that didn’t work out so hot for any of ‘em. Some of them decided to play it smarter and make nice with him. Not sure how many of ‘em were really behind the idea of reformin’ things and how many of ‘em just figured their best chance of hangin’ on to what they had was to make nice with Tree. That’s why we’d gone from stayin’ in cheap flophouses to fancy hotels. Not sure Ah liked the idea of takin’ favors—they don’t ever come free—but politics costs money, and silk sheets were a nice step up from straw mattresses.

“That ain’t no part of it,” he grumbled. “Ah need bits, they got ‘em. They reckon that’s gonna make ‘em get special treatment, they’s gonna have another think comin’. Ah aim to make a clean sweep of all of ‘em, don’t make no difference how many bits they throw t’me.” He grinned and grabbed himself an apple from a silver bowl full of fresh fruit. “Might as well enjoy the money they’s givin’ me ‘fore Ah take the rest.” A second later his smile went and turned itself around, and he was scowlin’ and glarin’ out the window. “Or at least, that’s what Ah reckoned on doin’ ‘fore they went and stole the election.”

“Ain’t like that’s th’end of it, Tree,” Ah went and pointed out. “Y’already got Chanc’ler Celestia herself comin’ to talk to ya ‘bout how to sort all this out an’ get a good power-sharin’ thing up an’ runnin’. The way Ah see it, things’re goin’ real good.”

“Reckon we’ll see.” Tree went back to pacin’. “Ain’t sure Ah buy all this talk about sharin’ power an’ whatnot. Probably gonna be just like every time one of the magnates says he’s gonna let the village council have a say in how things’re run. Sure, maybe for a couple years they’ll get a little say in stuff that don’t matter none, but the real power stays with them that has all the money. The way Ah reckon it, any kind of setup’s gonna consist of me standin’ up and smilin’ and sayin’ everythin’s fine, while Celestia and the magnates keep on keepin’ on. Don’t reckon they would’ve gone and tried the steal the election t’start with if they aimed on playin’ fair.”

Though Ah wouldn’t be too surprised if he had the right of it, the truth of things weren’t quite that simple. “Ain’t like they was the only ones playin’ things a little fast an’ loose.”

“We was only cheatin’ to make up for all the cheatin’ they was doin!” Tree all but shouted at me, stompin’ on the floor hard enough to make it shake. “Wouldn’t have done any of that if we didn’t need to try and keep it all fair.”

“Don’t reckon you can call any race where both sides are cheatin’ fair.” Still, Ah got the gist of his point. If Ah were in a hoofrace and the other guy tripped me, I’d figure trippin’ him right back would balance the scales and all. That don’t mean it’d be the right thing to do. “You ask me, we shoulda kept our hooves clean. Ah’d rather lose and play fair than only win ‘cause Ah was the better cheater.”

Tree let out a snort and tossed his head. “Might be Ah’d agree with ya most of the time, but this ain’t no pie-eating contest at the fair. If we lose this, a whole lotta ponies are gonna be in a bad spot. The way ah see it, the farmers and little ponies ain’t gonna be too fussed about whether we did everythin’ right and proper when it’s the difference between them starvin’ and bein’ able to feed their families.”

“We gots to do things the right way,” Ah said right back at him. “Tryin’ to set things up to be fair when the only way we can pull it off is t’cheat is like building a big fancy new barn on a buncha swampland. You start off with a bad foundation, and ain’t nothin’ good ever gonna come of it. S’like my pa always said: two wrongs don’t make a right.”

“Know what Ah’d do if Ah wanted t’turn a buncha useless swamp into a nice chunk of farmland?” Tree gave me a quick little smile. “Ah’d just figure out how to t’drain the swamp.”

“How d’you reckon you’d drain a swamp made of lies and dirty dealin’?” Ah asked.

“Ain’t gonna be like that, Danver.” Tree turned his back to me. “Just need to do one or two little things to get into the Chanc’lership, and then we can start up on the reform and keep our hooves clean.”

That all sounded nice and good, but Ah wasn’t quite sure Ah bought it. Things ain’t never that easy.


The next day was our big meetin’ with Chanc’ler Celestia. Well, possibly ex-Chanc’ler, dependin’ on who ya asked. Things was already gettin’ awful tense in Manehatten. Not quite as bad as when there was that whole thang a couple weeks back over the mess with that foal-killer, but Ah had a feelin’ things was brewin’ up. Kinda like that feelin’ in the air whenever there’s a big storm comin’, but it ain’t here quite yet. Reckon that was why when we was supposed to come fer the meetin’ at the Chanc’ler’s mansion, we had ‘bout a dozen of the local sheriffs ridin’ herd on us. (1)

1: Presumably members of the Manehatten Civil Guard, though Danver unsurprisingly likens them to the law enforcement officials he’s used to dealing with. Unlike most civilian law enforcement organizations, which were gradually folded into the Equestrian Gendarmerie by the post-Rebellion reforms, many frontier towns in Equestria still have sheriffs—mostly because the ponies living there have to be largely self-reliant, and there’s not enough infrastructure to support a proper gendarmerie presence.

Meetin’ with Chanc’ler Celestia got interestin’ fast, and not just because of how fancy everythin’ in the Chanc’ler’s mansion was. The one thing Ah ain’t never heard about her before was just how gosh darned big the mare was. Ah mean, Tree and Ah were nice big strappin’ stallions, and next to her we both looked like a couple of colts stadin’ next to their mama. Fer some reason, that made me wanna check that mah hooves were clean and mah mane was looking nice and civilized. Next to her, Ah felt like a big stupid dirt farmer who shouldn’t oughta be messin’ around with any of this government stuff. Best leave all that to ponies like her, who knew better.

Tree, though ... well Ah reckon he had just about the exact opposite reaction. If anythin’, he seemed mad when Celestia walked in through the door. Maybe ‘cause it made him feel the exact same way as Ah did, and he didn’t care for it none. Tree ain’t never cared for bein’ reminded that he weren’t the biggest tree in the forest. Literally and mixaphorically.

“Hello, Apple Tree,” she said as she stepped in and took a seat on the opposite side of the table. “I hope we can work together to find a solution to the problems facing us.”

“A solution, huh?” Tree grumbled, lookin’ sourer than he did when he made the mistake of bitin’ into an apple that was more worms than fruit. “Ah gots a purty good solution in mind fer ya. Howsabout you apologize to everypony for tryin’ to fix the election, step down, and just go on and get back to runnin’ the unicorns?”

Ah leaned over and tried to keep mah voice all quiet and whisper-like when Ah told Tree, “Ain’t no call for bein’ rude, Tree.”

“Ain’tcha ever heard of negotiatin’, Danver?” Tree whispered right back. “Y’start like yer a jerk who’s got his head halfway up his plot, and then y’work your way down to reasonable.”

“Ah know how to dicker, Tree.” Ah grumbled at him. “Just reckon you don’t need to be rude about it.”

Before we could bicker anymore the Chanc’ler cleared her throat, and all of a sudden Ah felt like Ah was a little colt again, and ma had just caught me and my brother fightin’ over the last slice of pie. After Ah spent a couple seconds feelin’ like a right fool, she done spoke up again. “I am afraid that simply would not be a viable solution, Apple Tree. If thou wilt forgive me for being so blunt, thy politics are quite divisive ‘mongst thy own kind. ‘Tis no doubt why some of thy fellow earth ponies felt such fear at the prospect of thy rise to power that they felt the need to take unethical measures to prevent it.”

Tree let out an ornery snort and grumbled under his breath, “Ain’t nopony worried ‘bout my politics who’s worth worryin’ about, if y’ask me.” His tail gave a quick flick, and he raised up enough for everypony to hear the next part. “Well, let’s hear what you got in mind to fix it, then.”

The Chanc’ler gave a little nod, and used some of her alicorn magic to pull out a couple scrolls. “I think a power-sharing arrangement would be the most effective means of ensuring that everypony’s views are represented in the new government. I would remain in position as Chancellor of the Earth Ponies, whilst thou would take the post of vice-chancellor.” She raised up a hoof to cut Tree off before he could start kickin’ up a fuss over gettin’ the lower rank. “I would, of course, allow thee considerable leeway in the exercise of thy powers, as has customarily been the case.”

“Vice-chancellor does run all the day-to-day, Tree,” Ah advised him. “Maybe she gets a purtier title, but who cares s’long as you get to take care of things the way you want to? Besides, she’s gonna spend all her time up in Canterlot while you’re gonna be in the thick of things.”

“Sort of like how it don’t matter none if Ah’m sharecroppin’ on some magnate’s farm s’long as he only wants half of my harvest and don’t tell me how to push a plow?” Tree shot right back at me, addin’ in an angry shake of his head when he turned back to Celestia. “No ma’am, that ain’t gonna cut it. Ah ran for chanc’ler, not vice-chanc’ler. Way Ah see it, if anypony oughta be steppin’ down and takin’ the lower office, it should be you.”

Ah was purty surprised when Celestia’s only response was to give a little nod. “I have no objection to that in principle, though it will require substantially redefining the traditional relationship between chancellor and vice-chancellor to account for the new political realities of the situation.”

Tree dropped his voice and whispered to me. “Still ain’t sure Ah like it; Ah might be gettin’ the better title, but everypony’s used to doin’ what she says. Don’t want to end up bein’ a puppet with her pullin’ all the strings.”

“Way Ah see it, we oughta assume she’s dealin’ straight with us until she gives us a reason to think she ain’t,” Ah answered him.

“Like tryin’ to steal the election?” Tree paused, then rolled his eyes and got all sarcastical. “Yeah, Ah know, it weren’t her, it was some other ponies actin’ without her knowledge or consent. You buy that load of horseapples, you’re dumber than a bag of hammers. That’s what them political types always say when they get caught with their hooves in the cookie jar.”

“Reckon that’s what you woulda said if it was you that got caught cheatin’ first instead of her?” Ah shot right back at him.

One of Tree’s eyes gave a big twitch at that. “Your mouth’s flappin’ way too much, Danver. Might wanna see to that.” He turned his back on me and cleared his throat, then spoke all proper-like to Celestia. “Well, Ah reckon we can probably work out somethin’ that lets you keep some role in the government, just to make the change-over go a little easier. S’long as it’s clear who’s callin’ the shots— Ah don’t want everypony gettin’ mixed up on whether they oughta listen to you or me. Havin’ two chefs in the kitchen ain’t never ended well.”

“A reasonable enough measure,” Celestia agreed. “If we do not take the time to agree to boundaries and spheres of influence now, we will spend half of our term arguing over the matter.”

“Reckon you’re right on that one,” Tree gave a quick wave of his hoof. “Ah recollect two croppers spendin’ the better part of a year arguin’ over water rights on account of the magnate not spellin’ things out all clear-like.” Tree let out a snort, and pulled out a couple sheets of paper himself. Celestia didn’t need to know the paper was blank, on account of Tree not knowin’ his letters too well. (2) “Speakin’ of ponies arguin’ over property rights, Ah reckon the first big issue we oughta settle down an’ sort out is land reform. If you got enough farmland for a hundred ponies to work, it ain’t proper for one pony to own it all, and the other ninety nine to do all the work and only get to keep half their crop. We oughta change it up to be fair.”

2: At this time, illiteracy and semi-literacy were still fairly common among the lower classes in Equestria, especially for groups like rural earth pony farmers who had little practical use for the skill in their day-to-day lives. It’s easy to forget that Shadow and most of the ponies she dealt with were members of the elite upper class, and a very small cross-section of Equestrian society as a whole.

“I quite agree that things should be fair.” Celestia answered reasonably. “There is just one question I would ask of thee. What is fair? Perhaps one more question: fair for whom?”

Tree needed a couple seconds to even think about how to answer that one. “Well, it’s ... er ... it oughta be fair for everypony.” He shuffled on his cushion. “Y’know, everypony gets a fair share.”

“How much is a fair share?” Celestia asked.

Tree tripped over his words again, tryin’ to work out what to say next. “Well, the way Ah see it, everypony oughta own as much land as they need to take care of their kin. No more’n what they work themselves, either.”

“A reasonable proposition,” she answered, givin’ a considerin’ nod. “How much of their family? Immediate, or extended?” When Tree didn’t come up with a good answer to that, she hit him with another question. “What if the amount of land needed to provide for their family’s livelihood is more than they can work themselves? If a pony is injured in accident or has grown infirm due to age, wouldst thou take away his lands because he can no longer work them?”

“What?” Tree gave a quick shake of his head. “Nah, that ain’t how it oughta go!”

“Thou didst say a pony should only own as much land as he was capable of working,” Celestia answered him. “Which, it occurs to me, also raises the question of how one determines the amount of land a pony is capable of working. That can vary considerably. We would need to appoint some sort of government officials to tend to that, and considering just how many farms they would need to inspect, it would practically be a whole new branch of the government. I should also warn thee that, if Pegasopolis be any indication, government inspectors are rarely welcome in any context. And we would need to pay for this new administrative class, likely by raising taxes.”

Tree was startin’ to look a little green around the gills. “Well, Ah was gonna ... well, Ah ain’t figured that part, but—”

“There is also the matter of infrastructure to be considered,” Celestia continued on as if she hadn’t even heard him. “Right now, the local magnates are responsible for dealing with issues like irrigation, water tables, ensuring we have proper topsoil distribution and crop coverage, all kinds of things. Somepony else will need to be put in charge of all of that. As for handling future infrastructure work, like dam building and road improvements—well, that will be a rather thorny issue.”

Tree rubbed a hoof on his forehead. “Er, maybe we could have a village council or somethin’ to...”

“Then we must consider all the economic chaos that would result from transforming the economy from a system with a few large sellers of agricultural good to thousands of small independent farmers. ‘Twill certainly make bulk agricultural purchases exceedingly difficult. No doubt given sufficient time a class of middlemares will emerge to fill that need, but in the short term ... ‘twill be difficult.”

“But—”

“Finally, I wonder how much actual productivity we would be getting out of our farmland if we so heavily disincentivize hard work. Would ponies truly put their all into cultivating their land if they knew the government would take it away the instant they could no longer work it? Not to mention that if we base it on need, we will find that more efficient farmers receive smaller portions than those whose skills are lacking. Mayhaps the system could be altered to reward hard work and initiative by allowing the best farmers to have larger portions and pass some land on to their heirs, but then a new magnate class would emerge before long.” The Chanc’ler let out a sigh and gave a shake of her head. “I support reforms to ease the burdens of the common farmer, but doing it by way of land redistribution brings so very many questions to mind.”

Tree’s eye started twitching something fierce—Ah don’t reckon he much cared for all of them questions Celestia seemed so keen on askin’. “Well what’s your idea for fixin’ it then, if givin’ the land to the farmers ain’t gonna do no good?”

Celestia saw him gettin’ all ornery, and just gave him a friendly little smile. “Well, since thou didst ask...” She magicked up another scroll, and started readin’. “I think the current disparity in land ownership is a product of much deeper economic imbalances. Land redistribution would only treat the symptoms of the disease, not the root cause. I think that by increasing the legally mandated minimum share for sharecroppers, instituting a gradual buyback program for sharecroppers, and establishing a national bank to prevent magnates from using extortionate loan practices, we can bring things to a more equitable and far stabler state.”

The two of us stared at her for a tick, workin’ out what all those fancy words ideas meant in the language of plain-talkin’ ponies. After a couple second, Tree spoke up. “So how long d’you reckon it’d take for all that fancy stuff to happen?”

She took another look at her scroll. “I believe within thirty years, these policies can double the income of the average sharecropper, not to mention make considerable progress in laying the foundations for the reemergence of a proper yeoman farmer class.”

“Thirty years?” Tree scoffed at that. “What good’s that gonna do farmers who need help now?”

“It might not be as effective as thou wouldst wish in the short term, sir,” Celestia admitted. “But we must consider the wider implications; in the long term—”

“In the long term we’re all dead,” Tree cut her off, earnin’ himself a dirty look from just about everypony in the room except me and Celestia herself. “Well, all of us except you. Maybe you can afford to wait thirty years for things to get better, but Ah reckon the poor farmers tryin’ to scratch a livin’ outta the dirt want help now, not thirty years down the line.” He let out an ornery snort. “Assumin’ this whole story ain’t just somethin’ that sounds real nice right now but ain’t gonna come to nothin’. Thirty years is a long time for ponies to forget everythin’ you promised ‘em.” Tree got to his hooves. “Reckon we’ve said all there is to say, ‘bout now.”

“Very well.” Celestia rose and gave him a quick nod. “We will resume meeting on the morrow?”

Tree stared at her for a long moment, then very slowly nodded. “Yeah, reckon we can.”


Soon’s we was back at our hotel, Tree stopped tryin’ to be even remotely diplomatic and lemme know what he really thought about how things went. “What a gigantic load of horseapples. Shoulda known it weren’t gonna end any other way. She don’t think there’s no need to change nothin’, just throw enough fancy words at the uppity farmer to shut him up ‘cause he think’s somethin’s gonna be done now, and then wait for him to get old and die off.”

Ah stepped up and tried to get a hoof on his shoulder to make him settle a bit. “Ah really don’t think that’s the way of it, Tree. Ah reckon it’s just that the two of y’all got real different ideas on how things oughta be done. Way Ah see it, both of y’all had some good points. You’re right that the magnates gotta be taken down a couple pegs, but she ain’t wrong about how unless we change a whole lotta things that’re gonna make everythin’ real messy, all it’s gonna mean is that by the time your foals are runnin’ the farm, it’ll just be a new crop of magnates. That, or some govment official who does as close to the same thing as a magnate as makes no difference.”

“Ain’t gonna be like that Danver,” Tree insisted.

“What makes ya so sure of that?”

“It ain’t gonna be like that ‘cause Ah said it ain’t gonna be like that!” Ah jumped back real quick when he slammed a hoof down on the table hard enough to put a big dent in the wood. For a couple ticks Tree just stood there, growlin’ an carryin’ on like he wanted nothing more than to find somethin’ or somepony to put his hoof through. Finally, he seemed to settle down a bit, and moved on over to the couch. “Sorry about gettin’ all riled, Danver. All this pressure’s just really gettin’ to me, know what Ah mean?”

“Reckon Ah do.” Ah trotted on over the bar, and poured him some applejack and myself a little carrot brandy. Ah brought his drink, and he tossed it right straight down the hatch. Ah just sipped at mine, and got back to talkin’ “This whole situation’s just a big mess, an’ Ah don’t reckon ah much care for it. We gots to do somethin’ to sort it all out, but Ah don’t rightly know what.”

“Ah’ve got one idea.” Tree trotted back to the bar, and poured himself another drink. “The way Ah sees it, there ain’t no more point in tryin’ to talk things out with her. Just gonna be more of the same; a whole lotta fancy talk, and nothin’ real behind it all. Even if we work out some kinda deal, it’s crystal clear now that Celestia and the magnates ain’t never gonna let me do what needs doin’.” He tossed his drink back and grimaced, then poured another. “The only way things’re gonna get done is if we make it happen.”

Somethin’ about the way he said that just didn’t quite sit right with me. Weren’t any one thing Ah could put my hoof on and say ‘yeah, that’s it,’ but the whole thing just sounded a bit ... off. “Tree? Mind tellin’ me what exactly it is you’re sayin’?”

Tree settled into a chair opposite me, starin’ down at his drink. “Swapped a couple letters with one of them Pegasopolan A-phors. Well, had a fella do the writin’ and readin’ for me, but he wrote what Ah told him to.” He done waves his hoof like he was swattin’ away a fly or somethin’. “Point is, this Swift Blade fella let me know that if push came to shove, the pegasi would have my back. Reckon it might be gettin’ to about time to take him up on that.”

“Take him up on...” Ah dug hoof into my ear to make sure there weren’t a bunch of wax messin’ me up, ‘cause ain’t no way he coulda meant what Ah thought he did. “What’re you sayin’, Tree? That if you can’t work out some kinda deal where you get everythin’ you want, you’re gonna call up an army of pegasi and just take over?”

“Ain’t sayin’ that’s what Ah wanna do, Danver.” He got up and walked over to the balcony, takin’ his drink with him. “Don’t think Ah don’t get what could happen if Ah ask the pegasi to back me up on this. They’s soldiers, and Ah reckon they’d solve the problem the way most soldiers will deal with anythin’ that gets in their way.” He wasn’t lookin’ at me proper, but Ah could see his shoulders shakin’ just a bit. “Maybe it’ll work out best, this way. The magnates, the bankers, and all the rest of them have deep roots. Like a bunch of rotten trees stuck in the middle of a good orchard. Just choppin’ em down won’t do no good, you’ll still have the stumps to deal with. Might even have new trees spring up, or have the rot spread to the rest of the orchard. Only way you’ll ever really fix the problem is to clear the whole area and start again from scratch.”

“We’re talkin’ about ponies here, not trees.” Ah took a real deep breath, and tried to settle my mind a bit. “Look, Apple Tree, what you’re sayin’ ... it just ain’t right.”

“Well of course it ain’t right.” He tried to take another sip of his apple booze, but his hooves were shakin’ so fierce while he did it that he didn’t get but half of it to his lips. “Ain’t nothing about this whole damn mess that’s anywhere close to right. But s’far as Ah can see, there ain’t no other option except givin’ up, and that ain’t no option at all. Ah ain’t come this far just to sell out all the ponies back home now.” He finally managed to get his drink down—or at least, what was still left in the glass. “It’s a damn mucked-up lump of horseapples all around. Guess alls we can really do now is see the whole thing to the end, and hope we come out the other side with somethin’ to make everythin’ that’s comin’ worth it.”

Ah couldn’t believe my ears. “You make it sound like you figure on startin’ a war, Tree.”

He just shook his head, and stared out over the city. He couldn’t even stand to face me. “Yeah, Ah don’t reckon the magnates are gonna give up and let us normal farmers have a fair share without a fight.” He leaned halfway over the the rail on the balcony. “Like Ah said, it’s a bucked up mess. Ah just don’t see any other way outta it.”

Ah did. Celestia forgive me, but with Apple Tree standin’ there, with his back to me, right next to the balcony, Ah saw a way to stop the war. A way, at least Ah thought at the time, to save all those thousands of lives. Thinkin’ back on it, there were probably other things Ah coulda done, but right then and there ... it was all Ah could think to do. All Ah had to do was buck him in the hindquarters, and he’d go tumblin’ ass over teakettle right over the rail, and all the way to the ground. The hotel weren’t some giant tower or nothin’, but we were high enough and he’d be landin’ on a hard cobblestone road.

So Ah did it.

Ah killed my best friend.

Ah thought it was the only way to stop a war. Instead, all Ah ended up doin’ was startin’ it.

PreviousChapters Next