• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 19,202 Views, 3,074 Comments

The Lunar Rebellion - Chengar Qordath



One hundred years after Luna’s banishment, unrest among the three pony tribes threatens to plunge Equestria into civil war.

  • ...
48
 3,074
 19,202

PreviousChapters Next
Ascendant Shadows 9

The next several weeks saw frequent skirmishes, but no major assaults. It seemed that Rightly was content to bide his time, testing both the resolve of his own army and the strength of our defenses. According to Gale’s scouts, he was also pushing the earth pony militias through an intense drilling regimen. Clearly, he had no intention of carrying on Swift’s tactics of treating them as little more than expendable bodies. From mine own efforts with the loyalist militia, I knew that would be no small task. Greenwall’s soldiers had strong hearts and bodies, but a lifetime of iron discipline is not easily taught.

I could guess Rightly’s overall stratagem well enough—his probing attacks let him seek weak points in our defenses and kept us from e’er relaxing our guard while he readied his army for the final blow. Once he had found a suitable target for his main assault and his army was ready, he would attempt to smash us with a single decisive blow. He could certainly afford to wait, considering the sorry state of our own supplies.

A state all too readily apparent as I stood upon the walls, having paused in mine usual inspection of our troops to take a meal. Or at least, something our cooks had taken to calling a meal. The stew contained far too much water and far too few vegetables, as well as a single sorry piece of meat whose provenance I would likely be far happier not knowing. Likely, Canterlot’s supply of vermin was rapidly dwindling.

As I suffered through my meal in silence, I heard the near-silent hooffalls of my daughter approaching. I spared a brief glance for her, pleased to see that the scars of her captivity had already begun to fade. She glanced down at the half-eaten bowl of stew with a wry grin. “Not enjoying your meal, Mother?

“It is ... sustaining.” ‘Twould seem churlish to complain too bitterly of my meal’s quality when ‘twas the same fare all of Canterlot’s residence must subside upon.

Gale grimaced down at her own bowl, emptying it swiftly so that it would not linger upon her palette any longer than necessary. “‘Tis the best that is available, I am afraid. One of the many joys of living in a city under siege is subsiding upon what little food remains.”

“A fact I am all too aware of.” I grimaced and followed my daughter’s example, finishing the meal ere I could concern myself o’ermuch with its quality. “I hope the meager fare here does not make thee long for the rebel camp.”

Gale snorted and shook her head. “Hardly. For one, I do not miss the company of any of the rebels, e’en if the most insufferable of their number has seen fit to continue inflicting himself upon me. And for the second, I would say that the rebels are scarcely eating better than we are these days.”

“Is that so?” I asked, surprised by the news. “They have access to fresh supplies.”

“They do have access, aye.” Gale smirked and continued. “But getting those supplies in a timely and reliable manner, ah, that is another matter entirely. Let us not forget that ere the siege e’en began you ravaged their supply wagons, and replacing that much rolling stock is not an easy task. Our own armies stripped all the nearby fields to keep the city supplied for the duration of the siege, leaving them with little in the way of local forage. Transporting enough food to satisfy an entire army is no small feat, and I heard much cursing of Archmagus Mossy Banks, and his followers within the rebel camp. It seems they have been most effective at destroying the wagons trying to keep their army and Cloudsdale supplied.”

I nodded along. “And no doubt those troubles are are e'en keener now that Dusk's allies have joined his ranks.” (1)

1: In an effort to undermine Dusk’s opposition to him, Swift had dispatched both Ardent Stalker and Solus Kicker to hunt down Mossy Banks. Upon receiving word of Dusk’s defection, Ardent opted to follow his example and turn her banners to Celestia. Swift’s effort to undermine his rival left his allies perfectly positioned to defect en masse.

Gale smirked. “Aye, from what we have heard from their latest deserters supplies have slowed to a trickle. Bad enough when Mossy Banks had only his own knowledge of the swamp and a few dozen earth ponies at his side. With an entire pegasus clan supporting him, e’en if it is one of the lesser clans in Pegasopolis...”

“Then the siege is a matter of grim attrition,” I concluded. “Unless Rightly can force a decisive battle, the end will come whenever one side exhausts its supplies.” I frowned thoughtfully. “That contest does not favor Rightly. Hungry bellies will incline his soldiers to seek their fill elsewhere, while our forces are backed into the proverbial corner. Our soldiers do not have the option of running off into the countryside seeking a fresh meal.”

“Just so,” Gale agreed with a grim smile. “For all the privations the siege has brought, the populace and our soldiers do not seem ready to surrender yet. If the rebels were wiser, they would have sent Cloudsdale away to ease the burden on their supply routes. Dusk told me that Swift suggested doing so, or at least putting it on a circuit to collect supplies around Equestria instead of drawing on the same supply lines the army needs.”

“Prudent,” I allowed with utmost reluctance. Speaking well of Swift Blade in any context was uncomfortable for me. Howe’er, for all his moral failings he did have a talent for logistics. “Though perhaps difficult from a morale perspective. Withdrawing Cloudsdale could be seen as an admission of defeat, or at least a major reversal.”

“Not to mention that it would remove their families from within easy visiting range, which was half the point of moving the city so near in the first place.” Gale added. “‘Tis far easier to sustain a prolonged siege when one can absent themselves from the frontlines for a day to revel in the comforts of home. (2) That is why the others on the Avatar's council advised against it, and why it remains where it is. It seems they would rather deal with gnawing bellies than absent family, though perhaps their minds will change as hunger bites more keenly.”

2: Rebel policy at the time was to allow their soldiers one day at rest in Cloudsdale for every four spent on the frontlines. Of course, any vacation days would be cancelled in the event of major combat operations.

I smiled and settled a wing across my daughter’s back. “I know which I would rather face.”

Gale leaned into my touch, saying nothing for there were no words needed. After the moment passed, we returned to business. “Still, our own supplies are not enviable. Pity we could not persuade Celestia to expel the civilians from the city ere we were besieged, but I suppose that would have damaged our morale e’en more than sending away Cloudsdale would harm the rebels.” She grimaced down at her empty bowl. “I have heard some of the unicorns responsible for managing our supplies suggest we are approaching a time when rations for the ponies of Canterlot should be cut. If we reduce our meals to the bare minimum we could hold out through winter, assuming nothing goes amiss.”

In mine own experience, ‘twas ne’er wise to assume that nothing would go amiss. Though I supposed that an especially long and harsh winter would damage the rebels far more than it would us. Still... “Reducing our rations will not be received well.” Much as I did not care for the stew I had just eaten, the prospect of only having half as much of it was worrying

“But of course not,” Gale conceded. “Howe’er, I think ‘twould be taken far better than the news that we have exhausted our supplies entirely. I am sure you are familiar with the tales of what happens to a starving city under siege, though I suspect Celestia would surrender long before we reach the point of eating our own dead.”

“‘Twould seem that our fate is largely out of our own hooves,” I concluded. “If the rebels can somehow deal with Mossy Banks and his forces, their supply woes will be at an end, or at least greatly reduced. If he can continue to harass their lines, they may well be forced to break the siege ere their army disintegrates out of hunger.”

“Troubles may come to the rebel camp e’en sooner than that,” Gale suggested. “The Avatar and her Earth Pony puppet government have already extended the militia’s term of service far beyond what is customary (3). The harvest season is coming soon, and if the rebels try to hold the militia past that it will not go well.”

3: Traditionally, earth pony militia units were only required to serve for ninety days a year and many communities attempted to further stipulate that their militias were not be deployed too far from their homes. By this point, most of the militia had been in the field for twice that, and far away from their hometowns. Naturally, the Avatar and the Free Earth Pony Provisional Democratic Republic justified these changes as emergency wartime measures.

“I cannot imagine it would.” Though I knew little of farming, I could not think this year’s harvest would be a rich one with so many farmers serving in the militia, and so many of our soldiers serving in battle rather than controlling the weather. Not to mention the demands of maintaining both loyal and rebel armies. If the few crops our reduced farmers had managed to raise were allowed to wither in the field...

Gale’s grim frown showed that she understood my concerns all too well. “The earth ponies and unicorns who know of such things all agree that ‘twill likely result in famine if the militia are not released from service.

“Something I suspect Rightly would not countenance.” One thing I could say for him o’er Swift, he would not reduce Equestria to ashes in order to win his war. “Though he has been intensely training his militia forces, so I must assume he plans to make use of them. If it must come before the harvest, then I think he will attack soon.”

“I agree.” Gale glanced o’er the walls, towards the rebel camp. “Especially since many of the earth ponies long for their home and families. ‘Twould not surprise me if many would refuse to return to the army if called upon.”

“Nor could I blame them for doing so.” I glanced down contemplatively at some of our own earth pony forces. “Especially after how poorly Swift used them.”

Gale nodded sharply. “Many of them have lost kin in the pointless attacks he ordered, especially considering the way the militia is organized. When each unit comes from a single community, and he committed so many of them to wholesale slaughter...”

I grimaced at the ugly conclusion; ‘twas the same reason clans usually fought in divisions rather than committing the clan’s entire strength to a single front. By dividing our forces, no single defeat could completely destroy the clan. Swift’s policies had likely cut entire generations away from several earth pony communities. Once word of that spread, I could not imagine any of the militia turning out in force for the rebels.

Which all led to a single conclusion. “Then it seems likely Rightly must at the very least win a major victory, if not the war outright, ere the harvest comes.”

“It seems likely, aye,” Gale agreed. “Maintaining supply lines in winter is a difficult prospect in the best of times, and with Mossy Banks and the Stalkers harrying their convoys it may well become impossible. I cannot imagine Rightly breaking the siege and withdrawing his army to secure winter quarters without first doing everything in his power to take the city.”

“That would not be his way,” I agreed. “Breaking the siege for the winter would give us several months to resupply, repair our fortifications, and rally our loyal forces. By the time the snows melt he would face a far more difficult battle.”

Gale’s eyes flicked out towards the rebels. “Just so. Time no longer favors him, and so the war must be brought to a swift conclusion. I expect that when he strikes, it will be with all the strength he can bring to bear. E’en if he cannot break our defenses completely, he will want to at least weaken us enough to make us accept terms.”

“That he will.” To his credit, Rightly had sent several more envoys offering terms of surrender, though none were any more acceptable than his first. Much as I wished for an end to the war, I would not surrender to him. “Howe’er, his circumstances do provide us with one critical advantage. Because he must win his next battle, he will not want to strike until he is certain of success. Thus, mine actions on the wall. I was thinking that today I would change our patrols to a four-shift rotation.”

Gale turned a curious glance my way. “For what reason?”

“To frustrate Rightly,” I answered simply. “Yesterday I had a quarter of our crenelations repainted in an asymmetrical but consistent pattern. Tomorrow I planned to rotate several of our unit postings. He probes our defenses to try and find a weakness, but if I am constantly changing our defenses...” I left the rest unsaid, trusting my daughter to follow the reasoning on her own.

I was pleased to see that she did.“‘The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then even the deepest spy cannot discern it nor the wise make plans against it,’” she quoted. (4) She paused, frowning thoughtfully. “Though we should ensure that there is no confusion on our side over the changes, and the lack of consistency does not cause any morale problems. Ponies do like a certain level of reliable routine.”

4: Who exactly Gale is quoting here is a matter of some debate, as this is the first recorded appearance of this quote and Gale doesn’t attribute it.

“That is something I have considered,” I allowed. “It can be difficult to unsettle Rightly and his own forces without also making our own uncertain. Howe’er, I suspect our own forces can guess at my reasons, and on the whole they can accept a few shift and assignment changes with far less upset than ‘twill cause for Rightly’s plans. Still, it might be wise to have words with some of the common soldiers at some point, to ensure that they know and understand my reasoning. And in any case, a bit of a shakeup will ensure that none of our guards become complacent or lax in their duties.”

“Aye.” She rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “We know there are cracks in the rebel ranks, what with Dusk’s defection and the Stalkers breaking with the rebels. I cannot imagine the Blades are happy with their pater being banished as he was, or their own reassignment to rear-area garrison duties. Though he has not been replaced yet, ‘tis all but certain the Blades shall not hold a seat on the Ephorate for several generations. Not to mention the problems we already raised about troubles within the earth pony ranks.”

“Precisely.” I felt the cautious stirring of optimism within my heart. “I suspect that time may no longer be wholly against us. If those cracks widen...”

Gale nodded, a smile playing across her lips. “Something I am sure we can do quite a few things to encourage. Near as the rebels know, we are far from the point of breaking. Our position seems all the stronger now, while theirs is weakening. If we can drive a wedge ‘tween them...”

“A prudent strategy,” I agreed. “Though one they will certainly be wary of after Dusk’s actions. Didst thou have any suggestions for how that might be done?”

Gale sighed and shook her head. “Pity Dusk did not remain where he was. He might have been more useful to us in the rebel army than behind our walls. ‘Twould certainly spare me the displeasure of his company. Though I suppose his defection was worthwhile not for his own minimal contribution, but because it prompted Ardent’s.” She sighed and shook her head, putting thoughts of the stallion who so enamoured her out of her mind. “In any case, I suggest that we spread propaganda amongst the rebel ranks. The rebels have been acting dishonorably, while the ponies of Canterlot merely wish to protect their homes, just as many of them do. The earth pony militia has always been more comfortable with defensive operations, and the clans of Pegasopolis style themselves the protectors of all ponykind. Perhaps now is the time to ask how this war serves those causes.”

“Sensible,” I conceded, “Though it may be difficult to accomplish. I suppose we could put Dusk to the task. Certainly such words would have more impact from the Avatar’s own son.”

Gale grimaced and shook her head. “The magi have means by which to communicate at a distance, or so I have been told. And I am sure you remember the Royal Canterlot Voice as well as I. Though I pity the rebels if they must listen to Dusk’s voice so magnified. Though that may well drive them to such despair that they all lay down their arms willingly.”

A part of me could not help but be amused at my daughter’s continuing intransigence on the matter of Dusk Charger. “I shall make inquiries, then.”

“Well and good.” Gale nodded, satisfied by mine answer. “Remember, one of the reasons why many of the rebels stuck with their cause was because they thought victory was inevitable after sweeping nearly all before them. Now the siege has stalled their army for nearly half a year, and they seem no closer to victory than they were when they first invested the city. The defeat of the Avatar in her duel with you has likely shaken their confidence too.”

“I think if we can repel their next attack, we may well break them,” I agreed. “Or if not an outright victory, force Rightly to retire to winter quarters. After several months of peace, he will have some difficulty persuading his armies to begin the siege anew, especially since we will be e’en stronger than we were when they first struck at the city. There will be a great deal of pressure on him to make peace.”

“That is mine own hope as well,” my daughter agreed, thoughtfully rubbing her chin. “And we can certainly work to encourage such sentiments within rebel ranks. Mayhaps it would be wise to see if we can sneak out an envoy to talk to the Blades. If we can turn them against the rebels too, they could cause even greater harm to their cause.”

I scowled at the mention of that most perfidious of clans. “That it would, though I do wonder if they would be an asset to our cause, given Swift's actions and reputation.”

“‘Tis true that Swift has damaged the clan’s prospects immensely. ‘Tis why they have been removed from the frontlines and once more consigned to rear-area garrison duty.” Gale held up a hoof to forestall any answer. “Howe’er, I would also mention that Swift himself has been removed from his position. It is hard to say who the clan’s new leader will be, but given that he was exiled in disgrace ‘tis likely that whoe’er takes up leadership of the clan will want to distance themselves from him as much as possible.”

I nodded thoughtfully as I realized the merit of my daughter’s suggestion. “Converting hundreds of rebels to our cause would certainly be worthwhile. Especially as the Blades were sent to the rear to manage rebel supply lines. It seems Rightly thinks that e’en without Swift, that is the best use for them. We have already seen the damage the Stalkers have caused. Turning the Blades as well would wreak further havoc. An army without food will not be an army for long.”

Gale grinned. “And if an envoy arrives soon enough, we could make the issue about where their loyalties lie be the deciding issue for who their clan head should be.”

“That is a possibility,” I agreed. “It is worth the attempt, if naught else. A single envoy costs us nothing and stands to gain us much.”

“That was mine own conclusion,” Gale nodded approvingly. “Destroying the rebel army in open battle is not within our power, but we can break their will and ability to continue the siege for Canterlot. From there, our options expand considerably.”

“Just so,” I confirmed. “Once they are no longer investing the city, we have much more space to maneuver. So far the only course available to us has been to hold the line and hope the rebels’ will breaks before ours. ‘Tis a grim struggle of attrition, e’en if that struggles seems to favor us at the moment. Though I do worry that turning this into a war of maneuver once more will favor the winged army.”

“Mayhaps,” Gale conceded, “but I think there is far more to winning a war than which army has more flying soldiers. We have already brought Celestia’s cause from the brink of ruin to the cusp of a major victory. I am sure we will find a way to avoid being undone by the very success we have sought for so long.” She grimaced, staring out o’er the walls and shaking her head. “It would be welcome if we had some means to hurt his army directly. I know the value of damaging their supply lines, but I wonder if the common soldiers and civilians will. ‘Tis why you fought the enemy at Avalon Vale ere the siege began. Most look to bloody battles for victory in war, not the question of whether the enemy army is well-fed.”

“I suspect that with our own food supplies slowly dwindling, they will understand the power of hunger quite keenly.” I pointedly looked down at the rather poor bowl of soup I had just finished. “As for the enemy, I will hurt them with whate'er means I have at my disposal. It matters not to me whether the siege fails because we break the rebels in battle or because they must withdraw to avoid starvation, so long as the siege fails.”

“Well said, Mother.” Gale shook her head, a faint smile slipping across her lips. “A victory is a victory, no matter how we gain it. I do not think the inhabitants of Canterlot will gainsay the manner of their salvation.”

“Aye, I would say so.” We both fell silent as I thought o’er the likely course of the war. For all our talk of our path to victory, I knew that ‘twas no certain thing. Rightly and the Avatar would doubtless do everything they could to take the city ere their supply situation grew critical, and their past attacks had pressed us sorely. I was far from certain we would be able to win the coming battle.

I took a deep breath and spoke a thought I knew would not sit well with my daughter. “If the city falls, I will not leave it. But thou must; the clan cannot die here. I know Sunbeam would carry on the fight so long as she drew breath. Wouldst thou join her?”

My daughter’s spine stiffened and her teeth clenched. “Mother, you know I would not do so willingly. My place is by your side.”

“Aye, I only speak of what we would do in extremis.” I sighed and shook my head. “I would no sooner be parted from you, but we cannot ignore the risks we face. I will not refuse to plan for the possibility of defeat because I find it too horrible to contemplate; ‘twould be most unwise to be unprepared should the worst happen.”

Gale’s frown deepened. “I know, but that does not make me like what you suggest any better. I have no particular desire to carry on a long and in all likelihood hopeless struggle with Sunbeam Sparkle as mine only ally. Should Canterlot fall, would it not be wiser to accept that the war is lost and make peace? I do not see how a long and in all likelihood hopeless struggle would be in the interests of our clan.”

I grimaced and shook my head. “I do not ask it lightly of thee, but our cause must survive. The Avatar—Bright, whiche’er name she goes by, she cannot rule o’er Equestria unopposed. Somepony must stand for Celestia e’en if we are defeated here. This is no ordinary war, but a battle for the very heart and soul of our species. We cannot simply give in and accept the destruction of everything we have fought for if we lose a few battles.”

Gale’s gaze dropped, her hooves shuffling uncertainly. “Is that what you truly desire, in your heart of hearts? For me to fight on for as long as I can, no matter how impossible the odds? To sacrifice my life and our entire clan in the name of your cause?”

I did not care for the way she worded it. It sounded ... selfish of me. “What would you prefer, my child? Speak thy mind freely.”

Gale fell silent, staring out o’er the wall for some time ere she finally answered me. “I wish for a great many things. In truth, I wish this entire damnable war had ne’er begun. Let Pegasopolis and the earth ponies break the personal union with Unicornia if that is their wish. Equestria did not always have one ruler, and could survive a return to the triarchy. Howe’er, lamenting the past will profit us nothing. As for the future, I feel torn ‘tween a dozen different directions.” She placed a hoof o’er her own heart. “I do not wish to abandon you, Mother. Not when I have come so close to losing you, and have only just returned. I am weary of war, and wish an end to this madness, e’en if ‘tis by surrender.”

She sighed and shifted her hoof to her head. “But another part of me knows what you speak of is wise and reasonable. I think my hopes for an easy peace ended when Dusk joined our ranks. The Avatar showed me mercy in the hope that he might win me to their side. Now that he has turned against her, something she will no doubt blame me for, that path is closed.” She turned back to me, a bitter smile twisting her lips. “Much as I hate the thought of this war dragging on eternally, if the worst comes to pass I may have no choice in the matter. Not unless I wish to give myself up for execution, and for all the despair this war has wrought in me I am not yet that far gone.”

I grimaced and shook my head. “I truly hope that such things do not come to pass. Far better if we can win this war cleanly.”

“On that, we agree.” Gale stepped to my side, slowly wrapping a wing around me. “I know that you ask me to be ready to flee not just for the sake of your cause, but because you wish for me to survive. And I know that for all your talk of duty, it is also a mother’s love that motivates you.”

I took a deep breath and slowly nodded. “Thou art my child.” Nothing more needed to be said.

Gale bowed her head. “As you are my mother. If ‘tis truly your wish for me to carry on your cause and lead the clan, whatever may come ... I will honor your request. If I did anything less, I would be a poor child.”

I could not help but wonder how that remark reflected upon my conduct with mine own father. I could only hope that mine own conduct was not misguided, and that I had been a worthy parent to my loyal daughter. “My thanks to thee, my child.” I held her against my side for a long moment, but lingering on the matter now that ‘twas settled would do us little good. “Now, enough of such grim topics, 'twill most likely ne'er come to pass.”

Gale grinned fiercely, albeit a touch brittley. “Aye, ‘tis far better use of our time to make sure that it does not happen in the first place.”

“Just so,” I agreed, mine eyes falling once more to our defenses on the wall. “Now, my most cunning and duplicitous daughter, I would ask thine expertise. What else might I do to frustrate and confuse Rightly?”

Gale turned a most mischievous smile upon me. “You could always sing and dance on the battlements. He would not see it coming, I assure you.”

I answered with a flat, unamused look. “I think, my dear child, that doing so would perhaps be a touch too obvious. Our objective is to be random, but in a way that leaves him wondering day and night if there is some broader plan to it which he has failed to grasp. Not wondering if I have gone mad.”

“Ah, well reasoned.” Despite being rebuffed, Gale’s smile only grew. “Mayhaps you could convince the archmagus to do it instead? The magi are known for their oddities, and he might worry ‘tis some strange magic she is weaving.”

The thought of Sunbeam carrying on in such an undignified manner drew a snort of laughter out of me ere I could master myself. “I shall bear that thought in mind. If naught else, it can warm my heart in dark times.”

Gale playfully nudged my ribs. “Did I actually manage to make you laugh?”

“It would seem so,” I allowed. “I admit, the thought of acting so ridiculously is ... a welcome jest. There has been too little cause for laughter of late. ‘Tis almost enough to make me want to ask it of her.”

“I would heartily encourage that,” my daughter grinned and nudged me once more. “If only to see the expression on her face at such a ridiculous request. And mayhaps she could be convinced. You can be quite persuasive at times, Mother. Not to mention how dear Midnight will react to such a bizarre spectacle.”

I chortled at the thought of that. “Ah, yes, ‘twould doubtless leave her most flummoxed. Very well then, I shall raise the subject with her when next we meet.”

We shared another badly needed laugh that lasted some time, yet still ended all too soon.


Rightly made his move the next day, but not in a manner I expected. Mayhaps he had taken inspiration from mine own efforts to confuse him. Instead of storming the walls with a horde of soldiers, he approached under a truce flag with only a small honor guard.

I stood tall on the walls, allowing myself to be seen, but did nothing more to acknowledge him. After several seconds of frustrated silence, he called up to me. “Shadow, I would speak with you about putting an end to this siege ere anymore lives are needlessly lost.”

“Speak, then,” I answered neutrally.

Rightly grimaced and shook his head. “Neigh, we are shouting at one another from across half a battlefield. Come, let us speak like civilized beings. I will e’en have my cooks prepare a fresh meal for us while we negotiate.”

Ah, clever. He both extended the offer of hospitality to make himself seem the gentleman, and reminded all my soldiers that he had access to fresh food. Not to mention perhaps stirring up resentment within the ranks if I took him up on that offer. I had no intention of letting him play that game. “We are speaking now. If you would have me leave the battlements, recall what happened the last time I walked out to speak with a rebel leader 'neath a truce flag.”

Rightly sighed and shook his head. “Shadow, I would ask you not to judge a mare half-mad with grief too harshly for her actions, but ‘twould not be fair of me. She wronged you badly and her actions reflect poorly upon her. Howe’er, I think that e’en though I cannot condone it, we both understand why she acted as she did.” He took a deep breath and slowly nodded. “Very well then. Shall I come up there to speak with you instead?”

A more reasonable offer than his last one, and one I was tempted to accept. Howe’er, I could not help but wonder if ‘twas part of some ploy. He could certainly cause no end of mischief from within our walls, accompanied by an honor guard. In the past I would have ne’er thought Rightly capable of such duplicity, but Bright shoving a lance into my breast ‘neath a truce flag had forced me to reconsider such beliefs. Sunbeam was not wrong in saying that some ponies would discard honor for the right price. “I think we can speak perfectly well as we are. If you have anything to say to me, say it in front of mine own soldiers, and yours.”

“If that is your wish,” Rightly responded, a tone of weary resignation heavy in his voice. “But if I must shout up at you, then for the sake of my throat I will not mince words or waste time on idle pleasantries. In exchange for the peaceful surrender of Canterlot, I am willing to grant concessions to both the ponies of the city, you, and your clan.”

“I will not surrender the city,” I answered without a moment’s hesitation. Howe’er, curiosity compelled me to ask, “What concessions do you offer?” If naught else, ‘twould give me some insight into him and his own position.

Rightly nodded, seeming to take my refusal in stride—‘twas quite customary for the besieged pony to spit defiance when first asked to surrender, only to cave in when offered good enough terms. Likely he hoped I was playing out that part. “I promise that the ponies of Canterlot will have neither life nor property harmed should you surrender. The only impositions we would force upon the city are a small garrison to maintain order and the disarming of all forces currently loyal to Celestia. We would also take a few hostages from notable families, but I promise that they will be treated with the kindness and dignity their stations deserve.”

Kind words, but the fact that he expected to occupy the city and disarm its inhabitants made it plain he had not shifted his position far enough. “I presume the rest of your terms remain the same? Celestia stripped of her throne and our cause undone? ‘Tis no more acceptable than ‘twas when you first proposed it, and no offer to be magnanimous in victory will change that. Especially not when my position has only grown stronger since your release. In a month's time you must either break the siege or starve.”

Rightly shook his head, easily brushing aside my threat. “Our supply situation is still far better than yours, and I intend on overcoming your defenses long before we must withdraw for the winter. I have prepared well over the last few weeks and the last offensive nearly broke you. And that was with Swift in command.” A slight contemptuous curl of his lip made his opinion on the exiled former Ephor clear. “Your soldiers are shopkeepers who are exhausted by battle, and your own warriors are overstretched. My soldiers are rested and ready, and their morale has ne’er been higher. I am not Swift, and will not misuse the soldiers under my leadership by wasting their lives needlessly or squandering their gains by fighting foolish duels.”

“Our soldiers fight to defend their homes against an army that offers them no end of cruelty should they fail,” I countered. “Ponies have been known to prevail against impossible odds when the stakes are that high. What do yours fight for?”

“They fight for the liberation of ponykind.” Rightly proudly set his hooves and thrust out his shoulders. “And I promise that no cruelties will be committed should the city surrender without their walls having to be breeched. There would be no looting, or murder, or rapine. Barely any pegasi would even need enter the city. We are even willing to allow the Kicker Clan back into Pegasopolis, with no punishment leveled on its common members.”

Ah, the common members. Not myself or my daughter, in other words. Though a part of me still hoped that Rightly would prefer to keep me alive, I doubted he could persuade the Avatar of it. Not when she blamed me for her daughter’s demise. As for the rest of it. “So you promise safety from rapine, murder, and pillage if we surrender. Does that mean that you also promise that ‘twill happen if we resist?”

Rightly grimaced and shook his head. “It is not something I wish to see, whate’er the circumstances. Howe’er, you and I both know what happens when a city falls after a long siege. Far safer for all if the matter is ended peacefully.”

I scoffed at his attempt to play at wounded pride and benevolence. “Ah yes, you are helpless to prevent such cruelties. After all, you are merely the commander of the army.”

Rightly’s eyes narrowed and his teeth clenched. ‘Twould seem he did not care for my wit. “You know I would punish those I found guilty of such crimes. I am sure you also know that I cannot magically control the acts of every single soldier in mine army like a puppet. I will do everything I can to prevent any unfortunate incidents and punish those who commit them, but e’en if not a single soldier misbehaves, the city will suffer greatly when it falls.” He sighed and shook his head. “I know many would die in a fruitless effort to defend their homes, imagining that the pegasi will inflict unspeakable brutalities upon them. After all, do you not claim that Bright is a heartless monster intent upon snuffing out all life in Equestria? I have seen her and spoke with her, Shadow. While she is changed, she is still my sister by marriage.”

He was promising much that I was skeptical of his ability to deliver. A degree of looting was all but expected whene’er a city fell, and e’en if the discipline of the Pegasopolan forces held, I had far less confidence in the conscripted earth ponies, and none at all in the supposedly-former warlocks. Especially when Canterlot was famous for its wealth and luxury, and the rebels had endured a long and unpleasant siege. They would want retribution, and to reward themselves for all they had suffered.

Instead of belaboring the obvious, I shifted topics in the hopes of wrong-hoofing him. “Let us say that the city falls then. How would you punish those who dare stand against your army of conquest? Would your offered mercy vanish?”

Rightly frowned up at me. “I would offer every mercy I can, but I would not be a fool about it. If Unicornia resists us to the end, then I must make sure that the unicorns will never have the means by which to plunge all of Equestria into bloody civil war and cost so many lives once again. This war is the product of too much power in the hooves of too few unicorns. Sunbeam Sparkle should not have so many offices, nor should a single knightly order supply half of Unicornia’s fighting strength.” (5) He gestured grandly, as though he were on a stage. “Equestria was built upon division of power, and it is past time we restored that. No single pony or organization should ever have the strength to take away our rights and liberties.”

5: Rightly is exaggerating, but the Order of Sol Invictus’ numbers did swell during the war, primarily because they actively recruited every able-bodied pony they could find while most of the nobles did little to expand their initial retinues.

“Except the Ephorate, of course,” I countered without missing a beat. “The Ephorate must have enough power to crush any who dare oppose it so that you might uphold your own vision of liberty. Is that not what freedom is: a state in which five ponies determine what is right and wrong, and destroy any who disagree by force of arms?”

“Curious that you would paint us as the budding tyrants when you ally yourself with Sunbeam Sparkle.” Rightly scoffed and shook his head. “Yes, we will have to impose certain controls o’er Unicornia in the wake of our victory, but our objective in doing so is to keep Equestria as a whole free. We will not be so suicidally devoted to the idea of liberty that we leave open the path for a second Sunbeam.”

“And so you strip away the rights of ponies in the name of keeping them free. A curious way of going about it.” I frowned and shook my head. “We will not bend the knee to you. Not now, not ever.”

“What do you hope to gain?” Rightly called up to me, pacing in frustration. “For all your defiance, what is your own cause? Distrust of Bright after her transformation? Stubborn pride? Keeping one mare who will not fight on her throne? You speak of Celestia as the rightful ruler of Equestria, but where is she? Hiding safe in a palace while better ponies die for her!”

“Who do you think holds up the shield that protects our city from you?” I countered. “Why has your army dug through tunnels for months instead of flying in easily? Because of Celestia. And let us not speak of queens without mentioning yours. You would put the thing that Bright has become on the throne in her place.”

“I would not put my sister on the throne,” Rightly countered at once. “It is Luna’s desire to see herself on the throne. That she and Bright are ... to be quite honest, the exact nature of what they are is quite beyond me, but they are not one and same. When the war is won they will be parted. Bright shall be as she should be, and Luna shall truly be restored to us. With Celestia gone, the unicorn throne is hers by rights, though I do intend to weaken its power in keeping with the principles of liberty we discussed.”

“Is that so?” I asked, lifting a single skeptical eyebrow that I doubted he could see from this distance. “Sunbeam seemed quite certain the Avatar’s condition was permanent. I think you have been told what you wish to hear.”

“And you have not?” Rightly countered. “I have learned quite a bit about your own condition. I am sure Sunbeam promised to restore you once the war was over, did she not? And I imagine you believed a mare who lies as easily as breathing, because you wished to. Am I wrong?”

We both knew the answer, though I would not give him the pleasure of admitting it. I could at least take comfort in the fact that others had confirmed her promise. I most certainly believed Celestia far more than I did Sunbeam. Though Celestia had been willing to place me in my current state...

No. Such thoughts did not bear dwelling upon. Rightly had only said what he did to unsettle me, and I would not give him the satisfaction of seeing it succeed. I offered no words, for protesting against his questions would only lend them further credence. Allowing him to speak such things at all was bad enough, debating the point profited me nothing.

Rightly must have guessed his words had some impact, for he pressed a fresh offensive. “I bid you to consider the fate of your clan, Shadow. If Canterlot is conquered, and it will be if we assault it, then your clan will be destroyed and its memory damned. The Kicker Clan has stood with Pegasopolis since the time of Lyequinegus. Would you have that legacy destroyed? And for what? You cannot believe that the ponies you are defending are worthy of such a sacrifice. What would your—”

I held up a hoof to cut him off. “If.”

He grimaced, less than amused by my laconic response. “Do not delude yourself or your followers. No enemy has stood long before Pegasopolis. Even if by a miracle you repel us we will come back next year, all the more prepared to reduce this city. You cannot defeat us in the open, and your only hope is to to stay hidden within your walls and tunnels. Mayhaps next year I shall simply collapse them, and leave you all to starve within Celestia’s shield. Is that the fate you are fighting for? A slow, painful death?” Rightly shook his head. “Think, Shadow, there is a better way. We can end this war quickly and without further bloodshed. Your clan would be accepted back in Pegasopolis, and I could arrange a quiet and respectable exile for you and your daughter.”

I rather doubted on his ability to do that. Bright wanted me dead far too badly to be swayed by any arguments about bloodless surrender or the dangers of making a martyr of me. Nor did I expect the Avatar’s rule to be half as idyllic and peaceful as Rightly hoped. “No. The war might end, but there would still be bloodshed.”

“And what alternative would you suggest?” Rightly demanded. “That we leave Canterlot and accept a divided Equestria?”

“I have offered terms,” I answered levelly. “That offer stands.”

Rightly scoffed and shook his head. “Unacceptable. E’en leaving aside that you are in no position to make such demands, as long as Celestia remains on her throne with Sunbeam Sparkle at her side, they will be threats to Pegasopolis. I would have true peace, not a mere truce until we are both ready to resume the war.”

“On that point, if nothing else, we agree.” I sighed, my shoulders slumping slightly. “And your terms are equally unacceptable to me. Is there anything left to discuss, then?”

“No.” He took a deep breath, then nodded more to himself than to me. “I will see you on the battlefield, Shadow. You have chosen your course, and I pray that you do not live to see all you cherish be brought low before the might of Pegasopolis.”

I chuckled humorlessly. “I think we both know that if you win the battle, Bright will leave me in no condition for tears.”

“Nor the rest of your clan,” he agreed solemnly. “Your only hope for survival is peace.”

“Or victory.” I drew myself up, standing tall and proud. “We knew when we left Pegasopolis that we would return victorious, or not at all. I pray that you live to see my clan march in triumph through the streets of Pegasopolis.”

“I cannot see what will ne’er come to pass.” He hesitated for a long moment, then spoke once more, his voice surprisingly solemn. “I did not come here personally merely to cross wits with you. I have drawn my plans, and the attack will begin soon. Your defenses will not hold. Canterlot will fall, and all you have tried to build will come to ruin. We are enemies, but I felt I owed you one last chance to avoid your doom. I will have your city, Shadow. One way, or another.”

“You think so?” I leaned across the wall, grinning coldly. “Then come and take it.” I turned my back on him, departing the walls ere he could offer any response.


Much as I had enjoyed getting the last word in my conversation with Rightly, that was a fleeting pleasure. By the time I had returned to my chambers, all that was left was mine e’er-growing frustration at the circumstances I found myself in. Frustration made all the worse by my seeming helplessness to further alter my fate. I had already reviewed our defenses so many times I had committed every stone of our walls and deployment route of our guards to my memory. ‘Twas well past the point of productive planning, and within the realm of pointless brooding.

I tried other means of occupying my mind. Practicing with my blades proved insufficient to relieve the growing tension within me, and an errant stroke left one of the couches Celestia provided for me in a rather sorry state. That I was so unfocused as to damage the furniture only spoke further to how badly I had been affected.

With nothing better to do I paced about, like a furious caged lion. I could only be grateful I had maintained my composure for long. If Rightly had seen how badly he affected me—for that matter if any of mine own soldiers had seen...

No. Such matters did not bear thinking upon. My humours were already unbalanced, and further brooding would only worsen mine already foul mood. I would be best served by finding some outlet, or simply confining myself until my temper eased. Morale was tenuous thing at the best of times, all the moreso in the midst of a tense siege. If it got out that I was upset and agitated, ‘twould surely lead to troubles as the common soldiers and civilians speculated on what ill news could unsettle me so.

Of course, growing wroth with myself o’er mine own foul mood did nothing to calm it. ‘Twould seem I was trapped within a cruel cycle of e’er growing fury. For all my declarations that Rightly was now naught but an enemy, he still had the unique ability to strike past my defenses. Damn my foolish heart.

I was certainly in no mood to receive visitors, so of course fate saw fit to have one come knocking at my door. I let out an annoyed snarl that surely carried through the sealed portal. “Unless the attack has begun, it can wait.”

To mine immense irritation, my visitor opened the door rather than obeying my wishes. Of course, only Sunbeam Sparkle could have the arrogance to flout me so openly. She strode into the room, regarding me with an amused smirk. “My, thou art in a foul mood.”

I nodded curtly, making a halfhearted effort to restrain my temper. “Sunbeam.”

She confidently strode into the room, regarding the sofa I had destroyed with a single raised eyebrow. “Quite the mood indeed. Dare I ask what has so upset thee? I can only presume ‘twas thine exchange with Rightly.”

“Aye,” I grunted out tersely.

Sunbeam sighed and shook her head, murmuring under her breath like a reproving mother. “Thou dost leave thyself too vulnerable to him. He is a blind spot in thy reasoning, and thine emotions are far too tightly bound to him. ‘Twas problem enough when he was thine ally and comrade, now that he is our enemy...” She trailed off, waving a hoof dismissively. “But I am sure that thou dost already know all that I have said. Unless I miss my guess, thou art upset with thyself for allowing such emotions in the first place. Thou hast the foul temper of a mare angry with herself for being angry in the first place.” With a spell she repaired the couch, though the damage I had inflicted upon it was still plain to see. “Well, out with it then. What did he say on this occasion to so unsettle thee? No new and terrible revelation, I hope?”

“He sought my surrender,” I replied with an angry snort. “He spoke of the mercy he would offer if we laid down our arms willingly, and the ruthlessness the Avatar would offer if we insisted on battle. He seems quite confident he will win, e’en to the point of warning me his next offensive will come soon. He ... vexes me.” I began stalking about the room once more, trying to calm the flames within my heart.

“I admit, I find him rather more frustrating than his predecessor.” Sunbeam grimaced and settled into the couch she had fixed. “Swift was plain enough: a small pony who envied the greatness of others, and so convinced himself he was far more than he e’er was. Had we more time for idle thought, I might speculate on whether the proud warrior culture of Pegasopolis and his own lack of combat prowess lay at the root of some of his more obvious deficiencies.” She leaned back, languidly stretching out. “Rightly is something else entirely. He works with monsters and is too stubborn to believe it. He would bring disaster ‘pon us and believe it honorable. Or perhaps he is simply too afraid to admit the truth; that his noble and honorable cause is now nothing of the sort, if indeed it ever was.”

My teeth clenched. Rightly was a sore topic, and the last thing I wanted to hear was Sunbeam carrying on about him. “Did I ask for thee or thine opinion of him?” I snapped, giving vent to my rage. “Perhaps thou shouldst remain silent regarding matters you know nothing of.”

Sunbeam scowled at me, rising from her seat. “He is a fool and our enemy. It is far past time that thou didst recognize that, whate’er thy past relationship with him was. 'Tis bitter medicine, but 'tis the truth. The sooner thou dost accept it, the better.”

I glared furiously at her, storming o’er until I towered o’er the mare. She did not so much as flinch in the face of my rage, which only served to rile me all the more. A dark part of me that I was sorely tempted to listen to wanted to do whate’er it took to wipe the insolent smirk off her lips, for I was quite sick of it. Howe’er, for the moment my reason held.

Of course, my seemingly impotent fury only encouraged Sunbeam. “My my, Shadow. Thy humours truly are unbalanced, I have ne’er seen thee in such a choleric state. Were I anypony else, I might fear for my safety.”

The casual arrogance of her remark coupled with the entirely too self-assured grin on her lips undid the last of my self control. I lunged forward, picking her up bodily and slamming her against the wall. Her eyes widened in surprise, and her horn began to glow, but e’en if I had not been clad in magic-resistant armor I was far too close for her to attempt any spellcasting. A moment later the light died, but her eyes remained wide and her body frozen beneath. ‘Twas enjoyable to see her at a loss for words. “S-Shadow? What...”

I hooked a hoof ‘neath her robes and tore them off her with a single savage jerk. She had her armor on beneath them, finely crafted mithril mail. I could not tear it off quite so easily, but it did not impede me for long. Sunbeam let out a startled cry at my rough treatment, so I silenced her in what seemed the best way at the time: with my lips.

After some time I parted from her, to find the mare still smirking beneath. “Ah. So that is the way of it. Why didst thou not simply say so?” She wrapped her limbs around me, pressing against me as I resumed my previous action. Nothing more need be said of what came next. (6)

6: Frankly, I would’ve been happier knowing a bit less.


Once ‘twas done, I lay on the floor with her. One hoof idly traced o’er her body, hesitating as I noted several marks that had not been there previously. I frowned at the results of my work. “I ... should not have left such injuries upon thee. ‘Tis not proper.”

Sunbeam smirked, languidly stretching beneath my touch. “Thou didst not hear me complaining. In truth, ‘tis somewhat flattering to know that thy passion was such that thou couldst not fully restrain thy strength.”

I grimaced and shook my head. “‘Tis not as simple as that. I was ... unkind to thee.”

Sunbeam rolled her eyes. “Do not think thou art the first lover I have taken who exercised a degree of ... let us call it vigor. ‘Twas hardly an unpleasant experience, or I would have objected to it.” Despite her words mine eyes yet lingered on a bruise of my making, until she sighed and soothed it with a spell. “These apologies threaten to ruin my good mood after a most pleasant experience. If thou dost feel so much guilt o’er a few small marks I can easily heal, then mayhaps thou shouldst offer me a boon in exchange?”

I scoffed and shook my head. “Seeking an advantage o’er me, e’en now?”

“Always.” She smirked at me, though the effect was somewhat diminished by her hoof idly stroking my side. “I am not wholly ignorant of pegasus custom in such matters, Shadow. Nor so delicate that I cannot sustain an eager partner in the bedchamber.”

I grimaced, pondering how best to word what needed to be said next. “I trust that there are no mistaken impressions regarding the nature of ... of what has occurred here?”

“As I said, I am familiar with pegasus ways,” she assured me with an easy smile. “‘Tis not something commonly discussed with outsiders, but ‘tis well known that soldiers are sometimes slaves to their passions when battle nears. In truth, I do not think ‘tis something unique to pegasi at all, merely something they experience more often. ‘Tis not so strange for ponies to seek such company when death is everywhere, and stalks us in the shadows. No doubt you have caught many of our soldiers in the act since the war began.”

“So I have,” I allowed. “I merely ... wished to be clear. Foolish of me; I suppose I need not worry that thou art besotted with me or would mistake this for ... more than it is.”

“Oh?” She pressed against me, grinning. “I have fantasized about this more than once, I will have thee know. Who would not?”

I scoffed and shook my head. “You mock me.”

“Mayhaps a little,” she conceded. “Verily, Shadow, what could possibly make thee think I would mistake what passed ‘tween us? I am no blushing maiden who thinks anypony who beds me must love me. Thy passions ran high, and we found a way to sate them.” She smirked, leaning her head against my chest. “A rather more enjoyable way than most, I must say.”

I grunted and nodded, slowly wrapping an arm around her. “My first time came after my first battle in the Patrol. Battle often has that effect; either the anticipation of it, or the euphoria of victory and survival.” I frowned contemplatively, struggling to plumb the depths of my memory ere I finally confessed. “I cannot e’en recall who ‘twas.”

“Ah, pity.” Sunbeam stretched her limbs. “I suppose I am luckier in that regard, if one can call it that. ‘Tis not uncommon for apprentices to learn more than magic from their masters. I had quite a few of them, in my time.” She sighed and waved and hoof dismissively. “But enough about past lovers. Neither of us has any illusions about what this was. Passions run high, and thou art a very passionate mare, as thou didst prove just now. It is clear you required a pony with which to loose the reins of control, and I was more than happy to serve in that role.”

“Thou didst certainly make more than one offer to do so in the past,” I commented dryly. “In fact, from the moment of our first meeting.”

“So I did,” she conceded airly. “But I think what passed ‘tween us now was something more than would have if thou didst take mine initial offer. We are both of us more than we were.”

“And less,” I murmured.

Sunbeam turned to me with a raised eyebrow. “Still grousing about thine altered state? Then mayhaps thou shouldst take note that thine armor was removed in the course of our activities. I would not suggest journeying too far from it, but it seems that thou art more mortal now than ‘twas the case when we first revived you.” She grinned mischievously, pressing against me. “And clearly thou hast a taste for pleasures of the flesh, which is always a good sign.”

Ah. I glanced down at mine own chest, seeing it bare for the first time since I had fallen against Bright. A discolored patch on my coat marked where her lance had pierced me, and the skin beneath was thick with scar tissue. Somehow I had expected it to be grander. Still, ‘twas good to see mine own flesh once more. And to know that ‘twas beginning to once more truly be my flesh, rather than a body of meat controlled by my true self within the armor.

Sunbeam smirked, a hoof drifting to areas I was still surprised I allowed her to touch. “Aye, thy flesh is certainly most ... lively. I have certainly had far less pleasant services to the crown. A few bruises are a small price to pay for keeping thy mind sharp, not to mention the ... other pleasures.” She playfully nudged me. “Thou art not unskilled.”

“Thine own skills were acceptable,” I conceded.

“Oh, merely acceptable?” She rolled about, placing herself atop me. “Acceptable? Neigh, that evaluation is not sufficient. I think I shall have to force thee to reconsider it.” She smirked, leaning down and pressing herself against me. “At great length, and in substantial detail.”

I grinned, surprised to find my passions rising once more. “Perhaps thou shouldst. The night is yet young, and I have yet to recover my senses and realize how unwise this is. Come, let us enjoy this madness while it holds us.”

And so we did.

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aaron Kevin Meighen
Aidan Hall
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
Chris Hall
Christopher A Cope
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Edmon Star
Emlyn Costilow
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Jack
Jade Walters
Jessica T
Justin Emery
Karl Bragisen
MoistGooDragon
Patrick
Ponibius
Shank
Singularity Dream
Stephen
Steven Ilten
Sweet Gale
Trinary
waritah
Web of Hope
Zennyth

PreviousChapters Next