• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 19,211 Views, 3,074 Comments

The Lunar Rebellion - Chengar Qordath



One hundred years after Luna’s banishment, unrest among the three pony tribes threatens to plunge Equestria into civil war.

  • ...
48
 3,074
 19,211

PreviousChapters Next
Ascendant Shadows 14

I had arrived at Cloudsdale as many things. A young child reared by her fathers. A soldier returning home from her first deployment. An Ephor and materfamilias enjoying her homecoming after months away in the service of Equestria. But ne’er before had I approached the city of my birth as a conqueror.

After the destruction at Maresidian Fields, Rightly had withdrawn to the clouds rather than attempt to regain control of the ground. With the loss of Steel’s army, he had no hope of restoring control o’er the earth ponies. ‘Twas plain that his cause was lost, and there was no path to victory for the rebellion. Many hidden loyalists came into the open now that the rebels could no longer force them into compliance, while those whose loyalties were more flexible were quick to shift allegiance to the winning side.

Rightly still had one hope to at least gain defeat with honor, if not a true victory. While his rebels were badly outnumbered, they still had greater strength in the air. Howe’er, our magi were hard at work addressing that imbalance.

Sunbeam strode into the command tent, her daughter in tow and a pair of translucent wings glistening upon her back. She struck a pose when she noticed mine eyes upon her, displaying her new wings in fullness. “You must admit, they suit me.”

For a moment, I had a less than dignified desire to use mine armor to absorb the magical energies sustaining her magical constructs. Thankfully, I resisted the urge and responded in a way that suited my station. “Fine spellwork, Magus. Though I expect there is a great difference ‘tween having wings and knowing how best to use them.”

“Most likely,” she conceded. “I think ‘tis not immodest to say that I have crafted a truly brilliant spell for allowing flight to the flightless, but ‘twas quite difficult enough just to craft the spell formulae for reasonably reliable basic flight. The sort of maneuvers I have seen thee perform in battle are, I am afraid, quite beyond me. At least, not without the sort of testing that is far more likely to result in me breaking mine own neck.” She smirked and ran a hoof o’er her new limbs. “Doubtless the reason so few magi have e’er attempted flight, despite how exhilarating it must be. The slightest error would result in a long plunge to an unpleasant end.”

Young Midnight nodded gravely. “Aye, the sensation of having your means of flight fail you and the all-too-terrible realization that you can no longer remain airborne as you plummet towards the ground at terminal velocity, your panicked thoughts as your only companion as you hopelessly try and stop your descent before a sudden impact with the ground pulverizes all your bones and liquefies your organs, leaving the hapless pony nothing more than a smear on the ground to be cleaned up for burial.”

“Quite,” I murmured, taking her morbidity in stride. In all honesty, I had come to expect it after having known her for so long. If anything, I would have been more concerned if she failed to speak at great length about horrible and gruesome death when given the opportunity.

The young child cocked her head to the side, her eye lingering upon her mother’s wings. “The spell is quite impressive, though I suspect Mother would prefer proper wings of flesh and blood rather than mere spell-constructs. If Her Majesty conceded the throne to Mother by law rather than merely as a matter of practicality, it would only be fitting to grant her all the accoutrements of her new rank.”

A flicker of annoyance shot across Sunbeam’s face, and she raised a hoof to cuff her child. She set it back down after a moment’s hesitation with a weary sigh. “Some day, daughter of mine, thou wilt learn to guard thy tongue and not share every word I say in private whilst venting my spleen.” She paused a moment, then shrugged and amended, “Or mayhaps I should learn to speak more carefully when I know my child has such loose lips.”

Midnight’s ears wilted. “I am sorry if I have failed you, Mother. It is sometimes difficult to know what things I may speak of and which topics are restricted. Mayhaps we could create a list that I may consult whene’er I am uncertain?”

Sunbeam sighed softly and massaged her forehead. “I will think upon that.”

Her daughter hesitated for several seconds, then spoke up again. “Your wings look very nice, Mother.”

“My thanks to thee, child.” She idly patted Midnight’s head, shifting her focus back to me. “In any case, the wings are rather delicate for combat operations, and the spell is far too complicated for all but the very best of our magi. The bulk of our forces will have to make do with simpler spells to allow them to walk upon the clouds, or failing that, thunderforged shoes.”

I grimaced and nodded. “While that might allow us to breach Cloudsdale, we will still be at a substantial disadvantage. Rightly knows we are coming, and ‘tis certain he will be well prepared. I expect we will bleed heavily if we must take the city by storm.”

Sunbeam nodded, her confidence unshaken. “Aye, I did not merely give myself wings as a vain indulgence. Spellcasting is our only hope of winning the battle without paying a steep butcher’s bill to take the city. We could afford to lose five of our own for every one of Rightly’s soldiers, but I would sooner not waste so many lives.”

“There are other means of ending the matter,” I proposed. “Rightly must realize that the rebellion cannot hope to win this war. If we offer him reasonable terms...”

“We did the same for Steel, and he preferred death to submission,” Sunbeam murmured. “I suspect Rightly will not feel any differently. I recall many proud claims that no Ephor of Pegasopolis has e’er surrendered to a foreign conqueror, and I doubt he wishes to be the one to change that. Still, it costs us little to make the effort, and we can always hope he sees reason.”

She frowned and shook her head. “In all honesty, my true concern is that he might choose flight o’er battle or surrender. If he decides to use his clan as dispersed raiders, we would be hard-pressed to force him into a decisive battle and he could plague us with banditry for years to come. He could e’en move the entire city away, going into exile for many years only to return with his strength renewed.”

I rose to my hooves, pouring myself a goblet of water from the flask White had earlier filled for me. “Exile would destroy them. Their support is already crumbling, and surrendering the rest of Equestria would make it e’en worse. Not to mention the problems of feeding an entire city without any support from farms on the ground. Pegasopolis has little to offer by way of trade other than its blades, and I do not think Rightly or the warriors of Pegasopolis would resort to banditry or selling their services. Such things are antithetical to all that Pegasopolis stands for.”

Sunbeam regarded me with a sardonic smirk. “I am sure that if I asked thee a year ago, thou wouldst tell me that rebellion and consorting with warlocks or abominations of dark magic were also actions that no true child of Pegasopolis would e’er consider.”

I scowled, but I had no way to refute her words. Worse, the self-satisfied grin on her lips made it plain that she knew it.

A cleared throat caught mine attention as Gale strode into the tent. “If I might, I suspect that the harder we press Pegasopolis, the more flexible their morals will become. I know some have suggested merely starving the city into submission rather than risk storming it. Given the impossibility of properly investing the city, we would almost certainly drive what remains of Rightly’s army to banditry just to survive.”

Midnight nodded gravely. “Aye, when hunger gnaws at one’s belly like a serpent, leaving them in constant agony that ne’er abates as the pangs become so sharp they wake from sleep and reduce them to tears of helpless impotence, many would perform otherwise unconscionable acts simply to stave off the pain for a few days.”

Gale drew close enough to whisper to me. “One other matter, Mother. ‘Tis no secret that Rightly is stubborn and proud. It is possible that another commander would be more pliable.”

Mine eyes narrowed. “What art thou suggesting?”

“I suggest nothing,” she answered carefully. “I merely state facts.”

“I have no interest in such facts,” I answered tersely. “If anything befell Rightly, all the world would assume we were the cause regardless of the evidence. ‘Twill be hard enough to secure the surrender as it stands. The slightest hint of illegitimacy would give many all the excuse they need to ignore the order.”

My daughter bowed her head, acknowledging my point. “It is, of course, your decision. But if ending one life could save thousands, many would call it the most honorable course. Better a few more bandits and fanatics than a bloody battle in the streets of Cloudsdale. Alternately, given the likely poor state of Cloudsdale’s food and water supplies, we could revisit an old idea of mine if their foodstock were poisoned.”

“No, Gale.” I sighed and shook my head. “I will speak with Rightly first and give him the chance to end this without any more lives lost. If that fails, then we will consider how to take the city with the fewest lives lost—both in the immediate battle, and as the result of any long-term consequences of our actions.”

Gale frowned, but nodded a moment later. “Of course. As you wish, Mother.”


We met on neutral ground for the parley, in an abandoned manor house beneath the city. Whoe’er it was who oversaw these farmlands was long fled, most likely to avoid being in the center of a battlefield. The farmlands themselves had long since been stripped bare, likely by Rightly in preparation for the coming battle.

Sunbeam remained outside the manor, accompanied by many of her magi. They would keep an eye on the clouds, ensuring that nothing untoward occurred. Rightly doubtless had his own watchers in the sky for similar purposes.

I arrived alongside Gale, White, and a few chosen soldiers. Rightly was already waiting for me in the manor’s salon, his own soldiers tensing when we entered the room. His own force was carefully equal in strength to mine own, though one of them seemed more concerned with looking out the windows to keep close watch on Sunbeam and the other magi.

Rightly looked ... old. Old and tired. The heavy bags under his eyes were testament to many a sleepless night, and there was a limpness to how he sat that spoke to his exhaustion. He turned to me, seeming a hollow shell of the stallion I had once known. Not e’en his long captivity had worn him as much as the last few weeks of command.

I cleared my throat and nodded politely. “Rightly. Shall we speak alone?”

He frowned. “I have nothing to hide from my fellow pegasi.” When I said nothing more for several seconds, he sighed and conceded. “But perhaps the negotiations would move more smoothly with fewer ponies.”

“Very good then.” I found a seat and made myself comfortable, mine eyes pointedly remaining on Rightly’s followers as mine own made no move to leave the room.

Once it became clear I would not dismiss mine own followers, Rightly’s frown grew into a suspicious scowl. “Do you expect me to send away mine own escorts while you retain yours?”

I chuckled humorlessly. “You will forgive me for my suspicions, but I do not have the best history with parleys when meeting with the rebels. Need I remind you of what happened to my daughter? Shall I show you the scar Bright left?”

Rightly grunted, then waved his followers back. Some of them hesitated, and he repeated the command more firmly. “You have no cause to fear of that from me or mine.”

“Of course not.” I still waited until every single member of his escort had left to building before dismissing mine own. For all that I might trust his honor, I had learned many difficult lessons o’er the course of this war. Once we were alone, I cleared my throat. “Now we may speak freely. I offer you the chance to end this war and avoid further bloodshed.”

“I would like that, if such a thing is possible.” He took a deep breath. “I will not beg you for terms, but I will hear your offer.”

I had expected as much, and letting him retain a small measure of pride was a small price to pay if it ended the war. “I promise mercy for those under your command, save any warlocks or others who violated the rules and customs of war and basic decency. The common soldiers may have amnesty so long as they set aside their weapons and may regain those once they swear loyalty to the Commander. You will step down as paterfamilias and enjoy an honorable retirement. Any clans that rose in rebellion against their rightful Commander will be disbanded and struck from the roles of honor.”

Rightly scoffed incredulously. “All the clans opposed Celestia’s tyranny? That would be the end of Pegasopolis. You have gone mad if you think I would accept such terms. Since before there was an Equestria, there was Clan Doo. I will not undo the legacy of my forefathers simply because you hold a strategic advantage at this time.”

“If you do not like the terms, then perhaps you should not have turned against your Commander,” I answered bluntly. “Treason carries a heavy price. There are some who would prefer to see this war ended with every officer in the rebel armies swinging from a noose.”

Rightly shook his head. “Celestia was rightfully and legally removed from her post as Commander of Pegasopolis. She lost any claim to that post when she abandoned us, and only returned her attention to accuse us of being kinslayers and the maimers of our children. When we withdrew from her leadership and supported our earth pony kin in doing the same, she launched a war of aggression against her own allies.”

His account was hardly an accurate one, but I saw no point in arguing it. If he were prepared to listen to a reasonable explanation of the Commander’s actions, this entire war never would have happened. “I cannot deny that she has erred, as did we all. Commander Celestia has recognized those errors and endeavors to correct them. It is time you did the same.”

He scoffed. “Mere apologies are not enough to make her our commander again. That time has passed, and now the pegasi rule themselves once again. Since the dawn of Pegasopolis no Ephor has e’er surrendered a foreign conqueror, and I shall not be the first to do so.”

I sighed and pointed towards mine own forces. “You have fought bravely, but your armies are broken and your territory lost. Your rebellion controls nothing outside of Cloudsdale itself, and we both know I can take that city as well. Make peace with honor, and let this madness end before any more die.”

Rightly rose to his hooves, pacing towards the window and staring out it. “The armies of Pegasopolis might be bowed and many of my fellow Ephors dead, but we are not yet broken. We can still fight, and might yet achieve victory. We have endured far worse than this, and we will continue to endure long after your immortal queen leaves this world.”

I crossed my forelegs o’er my chest, unimpressed by his bluster. “I have many times your numbers, Rightly. How can you hope to win this war?”

“Do you intend to storm Cloudsdale?” he countered. “An army that cannot fly might find it difficult to take a city in the clouds. E’en if your magi can find some way to bring them to the city itself, we are no longer fighting in the tunnels. In the open sky I would rather have a dozen good pegasi than an army of earth ponies.”

I saw nothing to be gained in arguing the point, and so I moved on. “Let us say you do win, and still hold the city. How will you feed your soldiers for the winter? Or after that? The ground is lost to you. Will you raid and steal from common farmers, like mere bandits?”

He glowered at me. “E’en if we cannot hold the ground, we still have our supporters amongst the earth ponies. I would think you would also remember from your own time in the Patrol that we know how to live off the land.”

I poured myself a glass of water, using the few goblets the home’s original owner had left behind. “Will you be able to forage enough to feed an entire city, including the children and the elderly? This winter will already be a lean one, in no small part because of your rebellion. How many of our farmers died in the tunnels at Swift's command? Will you steal food from their widows and children now?”

Rightly did his best to ignore my words, but I caught the barest flinch from him. I pressed the attack, taking advantage of a report from Gale he likely had not heard yet. “The earth ponies you think love your cause might not be so fond of you now. Yesterday I learned that they caught Swift Blade attempting to buy passage on a ship bound for Gryphonia. The mob beat him half to death, then hung him from the nearest lamppost. How do you think they would greet you?”

He tucked his wings against his sides and nodded slowly. “Then give me more acceptable terms to end this war. Let Pegasopolis stand, give us what we need to defend Equestria, and we will cease fighting with our fellow ponies.”

“I have given you the terms I will accept,” I countered.

“Is that truly what you want?” Rightly demanded, whirling about to face me. “You wish to destroy the nation of your birth, and the legacy of your ancestors? For centuries the warriors of Pegasopolis have stood as Equestria’s sword and shield, protecting it from all who would harm it. Will all the good we have done for Equestria and can continue doing be cast aside like so much chaff, just because you wish it?”

“I wish there were another solution,” I answered grimly, “but you have forced my hoof. I will not have a second civil war a generation hence. The clans will not rise again. It ends now.”

“You speak of risks and possibilities,” he countered stubbornly. “There is no guarantee there will be another war. Not unless we plant the seeds for it today. Merely give Pegasopolis and the earth ponies their independence and we can be sure of eternal peace.”

I scoffed, scarcely believing mine own ears. “When Commander Celestia initially chose to allow Pegasopolis to depart in peace, you answered her with a declaration of war. Rightly, you have lost the war. I will hardly give you the victory you sought when negotiating the peace.”

Rightly stomped on the floor. “No Commander or Ephor of Pegasopolis has ever surrendered to a foreign conqueror and you are a fool if you think I will be the first! I will not destroy my nation with the swipe of a pen.”

I met his gaze levelly. “Then you will destroy it in the fires of war.”

His eyes widened, and he snarled at me. “You would use whatever spell you used at Maresidian against Pegasopolis itself? You have become many things, but I had hoped you were not a butcher of innocents.”

I would do no such thing, for precisely the reason he mentioned. E’en if I wished to, a city in the clouds would not burn anywhere near as readily as grassland suffering from months of drought and carefully prepared by the Commander and her magi. After seeing the carnage of Maresidian, I doubted the Commander could bring herself to repeat it, and that attack had been against an entirely military target. E’en if we could replicate the feat against Cloudsdale, we would not.

Howe’er, if Rightly believed we could and would, it might convince him to surrender. “I would not do such a thing unless you left me no other choice. As one of Celestia’s generals, it is my duty to end this war swiftly and with as few of our own lives lost as possible.”

His teeth clenched. “You ask me accept the annihilation of everything Pegasopolis stands for or you will destroy the nation itself. It seems to me that oblivion is the end in either case.”

“No.” I shook my head. “The ponies of Pegasopolis will survive if you would but have the courage to end this war. Think of how many lives you could save with a few simple words. Will the clans and all they believed in vanish just because the ponies within them must find new names? I value the lives of the ponies within my clan more than a mere name.” I slowly reached out and set a hoof on his shoulder. “Sometimes, the most noble thing one can do is to sacrifice one's own honor and pride to do what is right. Let history say that Rightly made the choice to save the lives of every pony under his command, e’en if it meant he would go down in history as the only Ephor to e’er surrender.”

Rightly took a deep breath, then slowly let it out. He paced back and forth across the room, and opened his mouth several times as if he were about to speak though he said nothing. Finally, after what felt like an age of silence, he spoke. “No. You gave a fine speech, Shadow, but I will not do this. I will not surrender to you. Not now. Not ever. Either offer better terms, or we are finished..”

I sighed and shook my head. “There will be no better offer, Rightly.”

He nodded grimly. “Then I shall see you on the battlefield.” He started for the door, then paused. “Or you will unleash your queen’s magi upon Cloudsdale, and prove yourself a monster.”

He left the room, taking with him our last hope for peace. I departed a short time later, rejoining Gale and the others. They all regarded me with hopeful smiles that faded as soon as they saw my grim countenance. I spoke and stole away the last of their hope. “Make ready for battle.”


The mood back at our camp was somber as we prepared for a battle none of us wanted to fight. Sunbeam was in an especially foul mood. “That damnable fool insists on continuing e’en after ‘tis plain he cannot hope to win. Tell me, dear Shadow, is there something in the water in Pegasopolis that makes thy kind excessively fond of pointless deaths? Do you romanticize the idea of having every single pony under thy command slain, as if it somehow proves some grand moral point?”

Celestia sighed heavily. “Sunbeam, do not vent your frustration upon Shadow. We all would have preferred that the matter end with no more deaths, but she has done all that she could to reach a peaceful conclusion. Rightly’s refusal is his own choice.”

“Oh, aye, most certainly it was.” Sunbeam scoffed and threw up her hooves. “And now we will bury many more ponies because of that choice. You will forgive me if I am less than pleased by that outcome.”

“None of us are happy,” I cut in ere Sunbeam could continue. “Lamenting what has happened will profit us little. We must simply adapt to the circumstances before us.”

Sunbeam opened her mouth to retort, then paused and took a deep breath. She closed her eyes and said nothing for several seconds. When she opened them once more, the wild, unfocused fury had left them. “You are right, of course. Mine apologies for my choleric disposition, Shadow. Let us cease these pointless dramatics and find the best way to move forward. You said that you think Rightly would take the offensive against us. Why?”

I was tempted to point out that she had been responsible for almost all of the pointless dramatics she was lamenting, but that would merely drag on the needless distraction. “He will attack us for three reasons. First, it is the only way he can hope to actually win the war. Defending Cloudsdale is not a pathway to victory. E’en if he holds the city against our assault, we will do enough damage to devastate him, then withdraw to Canterlot and leave him to face the long, harsh winter with his supplies exhausted.

“Secondly, going on the offensive favors him if he can achieve tactical surprise.” I tapped the map on which we had laid out our battle plans. “Our army relies upon tight formations and the precise coordination of differing units. If he can close the distance to us ere we form a proper pike wall and bring our ranged weapons and magi into position, he could devastate us. In an uncoordinated melee, the superior training and equipment of his forces will be far more telling.

“Finally, he will take the offensive for the same reason we attacked the rebels at Avalon Vale.” I cleared my throat. “Morale amongst the rebels is near the breaking point. They have suffered a series of crushing defeats, and now their capital is about to come under attack. If he can gain e’en a small victory, it would do much to restore hope. Not to mention that he might disrupt us badly enough to force us to cancel the offensive and withdraw to winter quarters. E’en with the fresh influx of supplies we gained from the earth ponies falling into line, we cannot afford to remain in the field for long.”

Sunbeam frowned down at the map, looking it over. “You make a convincing case, dear Shadow. Still, it seems unwise to sacrifice a strong defensive position to launch such an attack that is so likely to fail. Our own actions during the siege of Canterlot showed just how much could be gained from exploiting that.”

“Aye, but Rightly is not us.” I sighed and shook my head. “Cloudsdale does not sit atop a mountain, with miles of tunnels he can force us to crawl through ere we reach the city. If we can gain the clouds at all we will be within the city itself. Additionally, defending a fixed position is not something that comes naturally to most pegasi. As Commander Hurricane once famously said, ‘Fortresses are a testament to the stupidity of ponykind.’” (1)

1: That particular quote is likely apocryphal, as it has been attributed to other pegasus leaders with slightly different wording. However, the general sentiment hold true regardless of the source—pegasi don’t think much of walls they can easily fly over.

“Is there no way to dissuade him?” Celestia asked.

I grimaced as I turned to face her. “I do not think it likely. At best, we could convince him that an attack would fail, and he would wait for a better opportunity or attempt to withdraw entirely.” I still did not think it likely he would chose exile, but after my conversation with him I judged it no more unlikely than him accepting surrender.

“Far better to let him attack,” Sunbeam opined. “We will be ready for him, and he can break himself upon our forces. ‘Twould certainly be far cleaner than trying to claim Cloudsdale by fighting in the city’s streets. We might e’en attempt to make ourselves seem a more tempting target to draw him in.”

“And there is still one hope left,” I murmured. “If we wait until he is committed to the attack ere we reveal our readiness, he might accept the hopelessness of his position.” I sighed softly. “It is one thing to know it intellectually, and quite another to see the harsh military reality with one’s own eyes. It is perhaps a thin hope, but...”

“E’en the thinnest of hopes is better than none,” Celestia agreed.


Rightly came for us in the night. ‘Twas the most logical time to launch his strike, when our sentries would have less time to see his forces coming, and many of our soldiers would be fast asleep. Rousing thousands of sleeping ponies and getting them into a proper battle line while they milled about in half-awake confusion would have been all but impossible. If his surprise attack had been successful, it might well have delivered a great victory despite the staggering disadvantage he held in numbers.

Howe’er, achieving total surprise had required certain sacrifices on his part. His own scouting of our camps had been minimal, lest his reconnaissance betray his intentions to us. And so, he failed to grasp the significance of the reordered sleeping arrangements for our forces. If he came for us in the night, they would not need several minutes to find their units and move into formation, for every single soldier was already sleeping in their combat position. A few carefully concealed drills had me confident that they could be out of their bedrolls and in a passable pike wall within a minute of the alarm sounding.

Howe’er, perhaps the single greatest flaw in Rightly’s plan for a night attack lay not in the execution of the strike, but his choice of opponent.

Once Gale’s scouts confirmed that Rightly’s force had fully departed Cloudsdale and was truly committed to the attack, the night simply ended. E’en forewarned, I was briefly stunned when the moon almost instantly abandoned the sky, replaced by a blazing noonday sun. Rightly’s soldiers, caught completely by surprise, froze in shock as the light blinded them.

Caught in the open, his force seemed pitifully small compared to mine. The once proud clans of Pegasopolis had bled heavily in the caverns beneath Canterlot, while others had burned at Maresidian Fields. Shorn of their earth pony auxiliaries, the clans were badly outnumbered, and now they stood exposed and helpless within range of our artillery and magi.

Mine armor released a spell I had acquired earlier from Celestia, amplifying mine own voice. “Rightly Doo! Your position is hopeless. Stand down and end this.”

Had he been wiser, he might have listened to me. Or e’en fallen back to Cloudsdale. I expect some of our magi, namely Sunbeam, would not have hesitated to fire into the backs of a fleeing foe, but many would have let them withdraw. He would have taken losses to be sure, but the bulk of his strength might have lived to fight another day. Or, perhaps in the aftermath he might have accepted the futility of it all.

Alas, he did no such thing.

I have always wondered if I truly heard his response, or if ‘twas merely mine own imagination providing it. I suppose that in the end it mattered little. If he spoke, ‘twas but a single word. One last damnable command that sent far too many ponies to their deaths.

“Charge!”

The rebels broke into a dive, desperately trying to close with us ere our magi and ranged weapons could inflict too heavy a toll. The charge itself was a disorganized thing, the rebel line still staggered by the stunning effects of the sudden noonday sun and some of the rebels were doubtless shocked into inaction by the sheer enormity of the situation and their massive disadvantage.

Howe’er, enough moved forward that I knew what I had to do. ‘Twas but a single word, but speaking it proved far more difficult than it should have. “Fire.”

The full strength of Canterlot’s magi lashed out at the oncoming rebels. Lightning bolts tore solid lines of destruction through the rebel force, and fireballs scattered entire squads. At the same time, our artillery hammered them with ballistae bolts and thousands of smaller stones fired from catapults. Hundreds of warriors fell ere they e’en reached bow range.

Once that happened, the slaughter redoubled, the sound of hundreds of spells and artillery pieces joined by the song of thousands of bowstrings. The rebel charge faltered as it seemed to hit a solid wall of arrows and crossbow bolts, and in that frozen moment I unleashed several more spells stored within mine armor, lashing the rebels with fire and ice that Sunbeam had granted me earlier. ‘Twas a curious thing to so readily wield the magic of a unicorn, but any joy I might have found in the new experience was soured by my target.

I wondered if the madness would e’er end. If the rebels would force us to cut down every last one of them ere they allowed this madness to finally end. The roar of spells and our ranged weapons blended together with the screams of dying pegasi, until it all became an awful nightmare sound, like the cry of an impossibly huge beast.

“ENOUGH!”

Golden chains and nets descended from the heavens, capturing what few rebels remained and forcing them to the ground. Our own forces immediately ceased fire by pure instinct as Celestia strode forward, her horn glowing as she bound the last surviving rebels. “Enough!” she repeated. “It is over. No more will die today.”

Enough already had.


After the battle, I searched among the survivors. I did not find Rightly among them, but one of them was at least able to direct me to where he fell. The stallion I had once thought to wed was now naught but a charred corpse. Though I knew ‘twould likely bring me naught but pain, I tapped into mine armor’s magic to check the magical traces upon the body itself.

Sunbeam.

So the Archmagus of Canterlot had cast the spell to end Rightly. But had she done so directly, or was it one of the ones I wielded? Mine armor could not tell me that. I do not know which answer I would have preferred.


The next day, I entered Cloudsdale with an army at my back. We met no resistance, for Rightly had all but stripped the city of fighting-age ponies for his final attack.

With the Ephorate effectively disbanded, I went to the halls of the Gerousia. Age and stress had robbed them of a few familiar faces, but I still recognized many of mine old allies from my days in the Ephorate.

The elderly Dawnburst Charger rose to his hooves despite being all but crippled by time, and ripped the flag of Pegasopolis from the walls casting it to my hooves. “The city is yours, damn you. May you choke on your victory.”

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aidan Hall
Alt Grendel
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
Chris Hall
ColdSilverD
Combine
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Edmon Star
Emlyn Costilow
Errant
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Jade Walters
Jessica T
Patrick
Ponibius
Shank
Singularity Dream
Sweet Gale
Sylvain Colinet
Trinary
waritah
Web of Hope
Zennyth

PreviousChapters Next