• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 19,178 Views, 3,074 Comments

The Lunar Rebellion - Chengar Qordath



One hundred years after Luna’s banishment, unrest among the three pony tribes threatens to plunge Equestria into civil war.

  • ...
48
 3,074
 19,178

PreviousChapters Next
Rising Shadows 2

Much to my displeasure, speaking with Duke Polaris would require a visit to the Commander’s Royal Court. ‘Twas a necessary evil—I could hardly place my own dislike of Court o’er the need of Equestria. Though I was no expert on the ways of unicorns, I knew them well enough to grasp that I could hardly show up at the Duke’s residence unannounced like a common petitioner. Foolish though it might be, the unicorns placed a great deal of importance upon status and appearances. If I did not present myself as Polaris’ equal in every way, I would almost certainly be treated as an inferior. That was something I would not abide.

The Court was e’en worse than I remembered it, though likely some of that was a product of the changed circumstances before me. In my prior visits, it was a passing inconvenience which I would shortly be done with ere I returned to Pegasopolis. Now, ‘twas likely to be a fixture of my life ‘til the war’s end. ‘Twould be shallow to say this fact made me e’en more eager to see the conflict settled quickly, but I could hardly deny that a part of me looked eagerly towards the day when I could return my clan to the clouds, far away from the ponies of Canterlot.

My poor opinion of the Commander’s court was not helped in the slightest upon my arrival there, for I found the unicorns had enacted a new travesty since my last visit. On my previous visits, the courtiers had draped themselves in all manner of elaborate costumes and jewelry, but such was to be expected. Now, however, they had adopted mockeries of military uniforms, though bedecked with so much in the way of heavy brocade and gemstones that said costumes would likely fall apart if their wearers exerted themselves too greatly at their evening meals, let alone the activities of the battlefield. Many of them were bedecked in honors and medals, despite most of Canterlot’s nobility being either too round of belly or thin-limbed to have ever seen combat.

It was distressingly easy to find Duke Polaris, for a single glance at his current attire made it plain that his primary strategy for winning the war would be to blind his enemies with the light reflected off the many, many medals adorning him. I would hazard that there was not a single stitch of the entire ensemble that had not been covered by at least two layers of finery. Still, at least he would play the role of an acting general soon enough, which made the display slightly less offensive. ‘Twas possible he had not started and did not care for this particular trend, but was a slave to it nonetheless.

‘Twas a thin hope, given what Copper relayed to me, but if I was to find myself in alliance with this Duke Polaris shortly, I would cling to whatever hope I might gain. If I wanted an agreement with a pony whose mere presence sickened me, I would have taken Copper’s suggestion of speaking with Sunbeam Sparkle.

As I approached, I drew myself up to my full height. Compared to the pampered elites of the Royal Court, I was quite imposing, and e’en those who were taller than me could not match the obvious strength within my frame. To his credit, Polaris had a more respectable appearance than most of the nobles within the court, aside from his uniform. He was of a height with me, and while he lacked a warrior’s strength, he had not grown weak or fat from a life of indolence like so many of the courtiers. His white coat was immaculately groomed, and his black mane was shot through with streaks of grey that lent him an air of experience without leaving the impression that he was too aged to lead. Despite my misgivings regarding his competency, now that I saw the stallion for myself ‘twas plain enough why so many of the unicorns flocked to his banner. He looked the part of a stallion who could lead Unicornia through this crisis.

As would be expected of a noble of his status, he was accompanied by the usual retinue of lesser courtiers hoping they might gain some favor by attending him, fawning approvingly at his comments and laughing at his jokes. Sycophants, the lot of them. To my immense relief, when Polaris noted my approach he spoke a few words to them, and they withdrew to a respectful distance. The Duke then turned to me, offering a welcoming smile. “Ah, Lady Shadow Kicker, it is a pleasure to at last make your acquaintance properly.”

“Duke Polaris,” I answered evenly. “I am equally pleased to meet you.” E’en if it might improve my chances of making a favorable impression, I would not lower myself to the shameful displays of his many sycophants. He would treat with me as an equal, or not at all. Still, some concessions to the nature of Unicornian society would have to be made, and so I politely tolerated the kiss he bestowed ‘pon my extended hoof.

Thankfully, the Duke shortly released my hoof. “I trust your clan has begun settling into their new accommodations? Please, if there is anything I might do to aid you in the matter you need but ask. My allies within the guilds would be more than happy to assist you as a personal favor to me. The same with the magi, of course.”

Though Pegasopolis had not known money, favors were a currency that e’en the ponies in the clouds often traded in. I was not so naive as to miss the full meaning of his words. A favor offered must be returned, and by making mention of his own contacts he reminded me that I was sorely lacking in such. Not the most subtle of gambits, but an undeniably effective one. Thankfully, I was quite capable of defending against it. “My clan has the skills to render the old fortress habitable, and Commander Celestia has already pledged her aid in seeing it done.”

Though I might be lacking in the many allies of those long-established in Canterlot, I did have one undeniably powerful asset. Celestia might have named Polaris her general, but that was more a matter of politics than belief. Commander Celestia’s full faith and support was a valuable resource, albeit an asset that would need to applied carefully. ‘Twould be unwise to impose upon Commander Celestia more than was strictly needful, but it would be equally unwise to neglect the option entirely.

Polaris offered a slight nod, acknowledging my counterpoint without conceding the matter. Now that we had properly established our positions, we could move on to properly negotiating over the matter. Polaris appeared to have reached the same conclusion, as he dispensed with the pleasantries and moved to the matter at hoof. “No doubt, madam, you wish to discuss the same topic that is on the lips of every other pony in Equestria: the war.”

“As you said, it is the topic of the hour.” I swallowed a small measure of my pride for what was to be said next. “I have heard that you are to command Equestria’s armies in the field. I would offer my congratulations on the promotion, and wish you luck in the endeavour.”

“Thank you for that kindness, Lady Shadow.” He turned to me, his blue eyes fixing me with a piercing gaze. “No doubt a warrior of your considerable experience could be an asset on the battlefield. ‘Tis a pity that there are complications in the matter.”

Ah, now we moved to the heart of the matter. “Complications?”

“Indeed.” Polaris signalled a passing servant, obtaining a glass of wine for himself. I noted that he did not have the courtesy to ask if I wished one as well. “I am sure you understand how such things stand, madam. The court is filled with idle gossip, and for all that I do not believe a word of it, many of my supporters are more credulous. I find myself forced to at least make some accommodation to rumor, e’en though ‘tis plain to any who have eyes and ears that there is no truth to be had.”

“What rumors do you speak of?” I struggled to keep my tone calm and even, for I suspected that what would next be said would be most displeasing.

“‘Tis naught but the idle gossip of court, madam.” The more reassurance Polaris offered, the more ill at ease I became regarding the eventual revelation. “However, since you have asked after it, I shall repeat it. ‘Tis said by many that you participated in Pegasopolis’ government after Her Majesty’s position was usurped by the traitors.”

“I did retain my old position in the Ephorate, aye.” I suspected the likely direction of his next comment, and moved to forestall it. “With Commander Celestia’s full approval, of course. Had she asked it of me, I would have removed myself from the Ephorate, but she felt ‘twould better serve Equestria’s interests if there were at least one voice in the council that spoke in her favor.”

“Quite so,” Polaris answered agreeably, though ‘twas only a moment before a frown appeared on his face. “Still, many of those I’ve spoken with are troubled by the thought that you served in the traitor government. Some would even go so far as to call it an act of treason against Her Majesty.”

As I’d suspected it would, Polaris’ remark kindled my wrath. That the pampered popinjays of the Royal Court dared speak so of me was intolerable. These fools and dandies who knew nothing of war or sacrifice, whose sole contribution to Equestrian society was to grow fat ‘pon the exertions of others, now thought to deride me? What right had they to do so? None! I had half a mind to demand the satisfaction of juris ungula from one of them.

I might well have given heed to that fury, were it not for the fact that I doubted Polaris had informed me of the talk from the goodness of his own heart. ‘Twas entirely possible he’d spoken of it solely to incite my wrath, in the hopes that I might make a fool of myself. That suspicion was strengthened by his next remark. “To those who give credit to the talk, your return to Her Majesty’s side only worsens your position. A pony who has twice turned her coat can hardly be considered reliable.” Polaris held up a hoof to forestall any response I might offer to the accusation. “I, of course, understand your position, and I am sure you understand that despite giving this talk no credit, I cannot afford to ignore it.”

“Certainly.” Privately, I seethed at his comments. However, Polaris’ words were carefully chosen to avoid giving me cause for offense. Always, he was careful to say that he merely repeated the words of others while expressing his own personal disagreement with them. In truth, I might have been tempted to believe his efforts at sympathy, had his presentation been different. As it was, I could not quite shake the certainty that his assurances were false. Indeed, I even began to suspect that the source of these rumors might well stand before me. None had more to gain from blackening my name than he. E’en the damnable Sunbeam Sparkle was a less likely source; though we despised one another, she did not profit from damaging my reputation. Though I did not trust her morals, I could trust her lust for power.

Polaris’ next words did nothing to dispel my suspicions. “If you wish, I am sure I could have words with a few ponies and put a stop to the rumors. I would have acted sooner, but I was unsure if that would be presumptuous of me. I would not want to give offense, after all.” He offered a smile that, for all its seeming sincerity, did not reach his eyes.

“Let them say what they will, it matters naught.” I would certainly not give Polaris the satisfaction of begging his aid in resolving an issue that he himself had likely manufactured so as to put me in his debt. “Regardless, I came to speak with you regarding military affairs, not the prattling of fools within Court.”

“Of course, of course,” Polaris answered breezily, waving the matter aside. “To the business of state, then. I would not presume to waste your valuable time with idle talk.” There was a note of condescension in Polaris’ voice that I cared little for, but as with all his actions there was nothing so overt that I could be justified in taking offense to. “Now, what precisely did you wish to discuss in regards to the war effort?”

I once more reminded myself that however unpleasant Polaris might be, I had to make some allowances for the good of Equestria. Let him say what he would, and have his proxies spread lies that nopony worth considering would believe, if that be the price of securing Equestria for the Commander. “As I am sure you would know, I am familiar with the methods and capabilities of the Pegasopolan clans, as well as their strategic and tactical doctrines.”

“But of course,” Polaris readily agreed. “But then, much the same could be said of their familiarity with you and your own clan, could it not? Especially considering the fact that your own father is among the rebel leaders.”

“My father is dead.” ‘Twas a considerable effort to maintain my outward calm in the fact of those words. “Clay Striker died years ago, in the service of Equestria.” So that my meaning would not be mistaken, I added, “Cyclone Cumulus is a traitor to clan and country both, and dishonors my father’s memory and all that he did in life.”

“Yes, of course.” Polaris answered, his disinterest in the subject not e’en remotely concealed. “Still, the fact remains that your clan has many ties to those within the rebel ranks. Your clan left behind wives, husbands, parents, friends, lovers, and children. None could blame them if they felt some lingering loyalty to those who were so recently near to their hearts. Still, those bonds could create complications on the battlefield, could they not?”

“My clan knows its duty.” I met his eyes unflinchingly. “Every single pony within our ranks is ready and willing to fight and die for Commander Celestia, if need be.”

“I would never think to question it.” Polaris paused, then heaved out a sigh that was far too heavy and dramatic to be genuine. “However, there is another matter which concerns me regarding your clan. I presume, of course, that they would fight in the manner of Pegasopolis, as they have in the past. And that they would answer directly to you, and you alone?”

“That is the way of things,” I confirmed.

“That will make it rather difficult to integrate them into Unicornia’s armed forces,” Polaris declared. “Her Majesty’s prior attempt at creating an all-breeds military showed the problems of combining differing systems of command. integrating the pegasi would be no easy task e’en without the complications it would to the chain of command. Though none would question your mastery of Pegasopolan combat methods, your clan would have to fight alongside a Unicornian army. If we let them go into battle untrained...” Polaris briefly trailed off, then offered a bemused smile. “Well, it would be much like a pony taking to the dance floor when one of their hooves did not act in concert with the other three. I’m afraid both you and your clan would need a goodly while to familiarize yourselves with our own tactics, and find some way to incorporate your clan within our military structure. Loyal pegasi are such a preciously rare resource in these times, and I would not squander them in easily preventable blunders.”

I could scarcely believe my own ears. “With all respect due to your position, the warriors of Pegasoplis are already familiar with unicorn methods. ‘Twould be the height of foolishness for us to be wholly ignorant of the tactics used by our closest allies. I have studied the combat doctrines of every single species we’ve had diplomatic contact with, and have even read on the subject of those species which have no martial tendencies. I have every confidence that my clan could work alongside the forces of Unicornia and those earth ponies who have remained loyal to the Commander.”

“Perhaps so,” Polaris conceded, “but e’en if your clan is equal to the task, I doubt the earth pony militias and the levies raised by some of our less dutiful nobles are as educated. ‘Tis likely best your clan is held back from battle, regardless. Given the numerical disparity, I do not think they would enjoy contesting the skies ‘gainst their former comrades. In fact, the threat of your clan’s arrival on the field might prove more valuable to us than its reality.”

Could Polaris truly intend to remove his best soldiers from the field of battle? ‘Twas utter madness. “I cannot deny that ‘twould be impossible for my clan to drive all Pegasopolis from the sky, but our strength could be carefully husbanded to strike at key points in order to prevent the enemy from enjoying total supremacy in the air. We need not hold the entirety of the sky, but we can hold a few important areas at vital times.”

“Or I could have the magi simply tear the enemy from the skies,” Polaris answered, a touch of proud arrogance entering his tone. “My cousin Ahfa, the Archmagus of Canterlot, has assured me that their strength is more than equal to the task. And ‘twill likely be a far easier to see it done if there is no need to distinguish friend from foe ‘pon the battlefield.”

I thought that assessment a grossly o’eroptimistic one. Though the magi wield considerable power, Rightly and the other Ephors would not be so foolish as to present themselves in the open and politely wait for the magi to cut them down. At a guess, the rebels would use feints to draw the magi into wasting their strength against insignificant targets, then close in once the magi had expended the bulk of their energies. ‘Twas how I would fight a unicorn army in the field.

“‘Tis likely for the best that we fight this battle alone, regardless,” Polaris continued, unaware of my thoughts. “There is some trepidation amongst the lower ranks at facing the warriors of Pegasopolis in battle. A victory on our terms will be good for morale. If your clan were present, too many might feel that they were our only hope for victory. That unicorn and earth pony could not contend against the might of the pegasi unaided. I would have them see that they can stand on their own strength first.”

More likely, he did not wish to risk sharing any credit for the victory. If I stood at his side in the battle, how many ponies would say that the victory was only gained through my counsel? Though given what he had unveiled of his own thoughts on how war ought to be fought, I suspect that unless he wisely refrained from speaking his own thoughts in favor of parroting mine, he would be unlikely to see victory regardless.

“I am sure that in due time, I can find a place for you and your clan, Lady Shadow.” Polaris concluded. “Until then, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours, and bid you good day.” The Duke offered a polite nod, then turned about and rejoined his sycophants. For a brief moment, I was sorely tempted to test my blade’s edge ‘gainst his neck.

Sadly, that could not be more than a passing fancy.

With my business done and my mood far too foul to continue enduring the travesty that was Celestia’s Royal Court, I made for the exit. Those few painted fops who stood ‘twixt myself and the exit wisely removed themselves from my path, for with my conversation with Polaris now finished I saw little need to conceal the fury it had kindled. I swiftly made my way to the doors and left the throne room, intent on returning to my clan’s new compound and overseeing the efforts there until I was fit for polite company once more.

Alas, such was not to be. Though I left the throne room without incident, I had not yet cleared the palace grounds before I found my path barred by a most unwelcome sight: former archmagus and grand vizier Sunbeam Sparkle.

She met me with a faintly mocking smirk. “Ah, I see from the state of your temper that your discussions with Duke Polaris are at an end. I did warn you that you would find him e’en more intolerable than I.” When I made it plain that I had no intention of stopping in my present course, e’en if it meant trampling her underhoof, she wisely fell in at my side instead. I would have preferred her complete absence, or in truth, an excuse to do violence ‘pon her. “I would offer you the hospitality of my tower, Shadow. There are many matters we must discuss, now that—”

“When have I ever given you cause to think I would have words with you?” I snapped. “We have nothing to discuss.”

Despite my clearly expressed wishes, Sunbeam Sparkle did not leave my company. “I do not ask that you name me a dear friend, or e’en that you like me. However, ‘tis plain to see that we have a common enemy and share common interests, at least for the moment. I am not so foolish as to deny our best general a place on the battlefield merely for the approval of the chattering fools at court. You have Her Majesty’s favor, but lack in allies. I have many allies, but lack Her Majesty’s approval. ‘Tis simple logic, and I am sure any difficulties ‘tween us can easily be addressed in the course of negotiating the terms of our arrangement. All you would have to do is speak to Queen Celestia on my behalf, and we could—”

I whirled upon her, my lip curling back in disgust. “I would sooner return to Pegasopolis and pledge myself to the cause of traitors than name you as friend and ally, especially before the Commander.” I pointedly turned my back on her. “There are more ponies in Unicornia than you or Polaris. I shall find another way to achieve my goals.” Having said my piece, I took the skies to avoid any further interaction with the former archmagus.

Though I was spared her physical presence, I could not fly fast enough to deny her the opportunity to offer one final remark. “Have a care, Shadow. Ponies in your position can hardly afford to reject those who offer them friendship. Even a dog has sense enough to not go begging for scraps from another’s table when a full meal is placed in front of it.”

Though I did not bestir myself to speak my answer to her, it echoed within my mind. Any meal offered by Sunbeam Sparkle, however fine it might look, would inevitably be poisoned. She was a foul mare, and nothing good could come of associating myself with her.


Though I had exhausted my best hope for gaining an ally within Canterlot, I could hardly abandon all hope after a single failure. The one shred of useful information I had gained from both Sunbeam and Polaris was that ‘twas well known I stood high in Commander Celestia’s graces. Given that, the reasonable course of action was to seek allies within the Crown faction Copper had told me of previously. By his own words, none had yet risen to fill the gap left by Sunbeam Sparkle’s fall from grace. ‘Twas an opportunity for me to not only gain allies, but establish myself as a power in my own right. Perhaps ‘twas for the best that the negotiations with Polaris ended so poorly; far better that I gather a coalition to serve my own interests than align myself to a faction I considered distasteful in order to gain the political power I required.

As Copper had already briefed me on the major powers within the Crown faction, it was simply a matter of deciding who I should approach first. In that regard, there was one group which stood above the others for reasons of prior acquaintance: the Order of Sol Invictus.

In the past, I had little contact with the militant arm of the Cult of Sol Invictus. The Cult itself was known to me, although it had never been o’erly popular within Pegasopolis. Though many have said that Commander Celestia is like unto a goddess, my own dealings with her have left me disinclined to believe such. While she is a pony of considerable power and possesses the experience of many mortal lifetimes, she remains a pony nonetheless. She is fallible, and every bit as prone to giving rein to her emotions or flights of fancy as any other.

Still, that was a comparatively minor difference of opinion. The Cult and Order believed what they would. It was of little matter to me what other ponies believed, save that it ensured they would be loyal to Commander Celestia above all others. And unlike Sunbeam or Polaris, the Order was an eminently respectable organization. (1)

1: While I’m sure many of my readers are already quite familiar with Sol Invictus, there’s no harm in briefly outlining their core belief structure and common activities. While their core belief in Celestia’s effective goddesshood and that she serves as an exemplar to all ponykind remains unchanged, their role in Equestria has undergone a major shift since Shadow’s time. Though Sol Invictus still engaged in many of the charitable operations they’re known for today, one of their main charitable acts during Shadow’s time was funding the Knightly Order of Sol Invictus. Though the Order originally only provided security to members of the cult engaged in charitable activity, they soon expanded to more active roles. After all, killing monsters, warlocks, and brigands arguably qualifies as a form of charity. I'm sure the ponies who saw threats to the safety of their communities permanently removed would agree.

However, I had another errand to quickly attend to ere I approached the Order’s base in Canterlot. A stop by my clan’s new hold was no great inconvenience, for the Order had adopted a similar home in another one of the old fortresses. ‘Twas likely their example that had inspired Commander Celestia to suggest the same for my own clan.

Though I had considered approaching the grandmaster of the order directly, Copper had counseled a different course. Grandmaster Crossguard was aged enough for the years to rest heavy ‘pon him, especially with the burdens of the coming war. To simply visit him unannounced might well prove unwelcome, so ‘twould be better to speak with one of his trusted subordinates first so as to gain an introduction. Of those, Knight-Captain Noble Quest and Chief Hospitaller Pure Heart had immediately caught my attention, primarily from the fact that I had previously met their son, Radiant Day.

I found young Nimbus hard at work surveying our new clanhold. Though we had taken ownership of it with Celestia’s blessing, relocating a clan for permanent groundside residency was no small task. Gale and I had only done the most rudimentary scan of the compound, leaving the details of the arrangement to our trusted subordinates. Much as I cared for my clan’s wellbeing, I could hardly afford to concern myself with personally overseeing the sleeping arrangements of every single pony within our ranks. ‘Twould be an insult to the capabilities of my own younger officers as much as a waste of my own time.

I was accordingly pleased when I observed that Nimbus was not attempting to handle matters herself, but was watching over a dozen soldiers marking out where sleeping bunks would be placed and divvying up the room per her instructions. Nimbus herself was content to walk about the room, not lingering overlong in any one place, save that problems had emerged requiring her intervention. My earlier assessment of her potential had indeed been accurate. ‘Twas fortunate that she’d survived her wounds at the griffon’s talons.

When Nimbus noted my presence she promptly saluted. “Materfamilias, it is a pleasure. Matters are proceeding apace, and I anticipate we shall be done with our task ahead of schedule.”

“Very good.” A quick glance about the room showed that the soldiers did indeed seem to be making satisfactory progress. “I trust, then, that thy ponies can continue the task well enough in thine absence, for I have another task in mind for thee.”

“Oh?” Nimbus’ ears stood at attention, curiosity shining in her eyes as the rest of her body signalled her eagerness to serve. I often envy the young that spark of enthusiasm, for it fades all too quickly in the face of the harsh realities of a warrior’s life. “I am at your disposal, Mater.”

“Then follow.” I wasted no more time, turning about and taking to the sky, leading the way towards the Order’s compound. Explanations could occur alongside flight. “I have business with the Order of Sol Invictus. In particular with the parents of Radiant Day.”

As I had expected it would, the news brought a hint of color into Nimbus’ cheeks. “I am glad to hear it, then.” None who had eyes could have failed to note how Nimbus and Radiant had enjoyed one another’s attentions during his visit to Cloudsdale. At the very least, that provided a serviceable reason to have words with Radiant’s parents beyond mere politics. More importantly, ‘twould please the both of them. War is a grim business, and there are times when ‘tis good to be reminded that there is more to life than darkness and despair. ‘Twould certainly be a far better use of my time than speaking to grand viziers both past and present.

Upon my arrival at the Order’s compound, I discovered a most welcome sight: a training yard filled with unicorns at work honing their skills. ‘Twas as if I’d found a small piece of Cloudsdale in the midst of Canterlot. I was sure many of the magi had been similarly occupied, but for all my respect for the mage’s arts, they lacked the familiarity of steel on steel. Though the weapons and methods of the unicorn knights were far different, often employing telekinetic spells to control weapons rather than hoof and wing, ‘twas still an echo of what I had left in my old home. As pleasant as the sight was, ‘twas also a bitter reminder of all that I had left behind. For neither the first nor last time, I regretted the price of my loyalty to Commander Celestia.

I o’erlooked the compound from above, seeking a pony who matched the descriptions of Radiant’s parents. Before I could manage the deed, Nimbus found the object of her affections. I will readily concede that I could grasp the reason behind it; Radiant Day looked every bit the image of a noble knight of Unicornia. A fine white coat, golden glowing mane, and a build that would have suited a warrior of Pegasopolis. Had I been a younger mare, I might have been as taken with him as she.

Matters were not helped in the slightest that he was in the midst of a spar, allowing him a chance to display his prowess for her. I recognized his opponent as Magus Daylight Shimmer; e’en from this distance, his tall, thin, but toned build, orange coat, and red mane were quite distinctive.

‘Twas a most unusual contest, as Radiant struck about with a halberd, seeking a hole in the magus’ defenses, whilst Daylight countered his strikes with quickly conjured burning blades. The battle might have continued for some time, if not for the fact that Radiant’s eyes briefly fell upon Nimbus. The moment of distraction cost him dearly, allowing Daylight to land a winning blow.

There is a time and a place for young lovers to exchange longing gazes. ‘Tis not in the midst of a spar.

As we landed, Radiant slowly lifted himself up from the ground. Thankfully, ‘twould seem the only wounds he had sustained were to his pride. A painful injury indeed to the young, especially given his current audience, but one that would recover. If anything, Nimbus seemed inclined to rush to his side and worry over his nonexistent wounds. Love often has such an effect on the young.

Ere Nimbus could entirely forget herself, another development occurred that halted her path. A unicorn mare rushed to his side, taking the very role Nimbus had thought to assume. The mare was younger than Radiant, nearly too young, but aged enough to have flowered to proper marehood, a white coat barely tinged with a hint of gold and a deep purple mane lent her a most becoming appearance, e’en if the long-limbed awkwardness of youth had not fully left her yet. Nimbus immediately ceased all motion towards Radiant, and a faint frown graced her face.

Radiant must have read her mood, for he proceeded towards us as quickly as he could without sacrificing what remained of his dignity. As he approached salutes were exchanged, though I suspect ‘twas more for Nimbus’ benefit than my own—if not for a nudge from the mare at his side, he might have failed to salute me entirely. ‘Twas quite plain he had eyes for nopony else. “Milady Shadow, Nimbus Kicker, it is a pleasure.” Nimbus answered him with a cool gaze, prompting Radiant to hastily pull the unicorn forward. “Allow me to introduce my sister, White Knight. She is my sister. And also my squire. But most importantly of all, my sister.”

‘Twas a struggle not to chuckle at the stallion’s awkward desperation to explain the matter to Nimbus. Daylight Shimmer seemed to share my opinion on the matter, whilst young White Knight regarded her elder brother with a degree of exasperated irritation that was wholly unique to the young, then stepped forward, regarding Nimbus critically. “So, you are the one whom my brother speaks of so fondly? ‘Tis a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Nimbus Kicker.”

The young squire offered a hoof, and Nimbus readily shook it. “The pleasure is entirely mine, White Knight. Might I ask what Radiant says of me to have so piqued your interest?”

“Nothing that bears repeating.” There was a touch of undue haste to Radiant Day’s declaration which made his desire that the words remain private obvious. He fell briefly silent, struggling to regain his composure, and was admirably successful in the effort. When next he spoke, he offered a smile that mostly concealed his inner anxiety. “Madam Nimbus, ‘tis a great pleasure to speak with you once more. If I might be so bold, I would ask the honor of providing you with a tour of our Order’s facility.” He offered her his hoof.

Nimbus answered him with smile that displayed her own nervous delight. “‘Twould be my pleasure to accompany you—neigh, to accompany thee, if I might be so bold.” She took the offered hoof, the anxiety rapidly fading from her.

“I welcome thy boldness,” Radiant answered, taking her hoof and slowly leading her across the compound. “Now, let us begin with...” The two young lovers parted company with us, entirely too entranced by one another’s company to e’en recall that there were other ponies present.

White Knight stared after the pair, then let out a faint snort. “That mare has transformed my brother into a clodpated simpleton.”

“Love makes fools of us all, White,” Daylight answered with a chuckle The magus turned to me offering a respectful nod. “Milady, how might I be of service?”

“There are matters I would discuss with Noble Quest and Pure Heart, if either of them can spare the time for me.” My gaze shifted down to young White. “I had thought that thy brother might convey me to them, but ‘twould seem he is otherwise occupied. That being the case, might I impose upon thee to take up his task and convey me to thy parents?”

The young squire promptly answered me, “‘Twould be my pleasure to do so, milady, were it not for the fact that they are in consultation with the Grandmaster at this hour. However, I can convey you to them as soon as their business with him is concluded.”

Ah, such was the hazard of seeking to speak with Grandmaster Crossguard’s closest subordinates. In light of the war, ‘twas hardly surprising that he would frequently have need of them. Still, patience was a virtue, and my business was far too important to be deterred by a mere delay. “I shall await their convenience, then.”

“Very well, milady.” White nodded to the compound’s central keep. “As my brother neglected to do so, allow me to formally welcome you as a guest of the Knightly Order of Sol Invictus. Whilst my mother and father are otherwise occupied, please allow me to offer refreshment and whatever form of entertainment you would care for to occupy your time. Mayhaps an inspection of our facilities and operation? I am sure a warrior of your renown could offer many valuable insights.”

“I have no doubt that she could.” Magus Daylight stepped forward, offering a polite nod. “However, I think ‘tis possible that I might save her a good deal of needless waiting, if I might have the honor of escorting her in thy place. Or mayhaps we could simply observe thee at thy task, now that thy brother and I are no longer sparring for thy benefit.”

“As you wish, Magus. I’ll attend my exercises, then.” The squire offered me a final nod, then turned her attention to one of the sparring ponyquins. Lifting her halberd in a telekinetic grasp, she charged in and struck at her target. The blows did not carry the easy grace with which her brother and the magus fought, but she did demonstrate a clear grasp of the fundamentals of combat. Refinement of her combat arts would only come with practice and experience in the field, and for now I judged her capable enough. She would acquit herself respectably against one of my own clanponies who was of an age with her.

“There might be value in an integrated training regimen,” I idly commented. “If we can spare the time for it, I am sure my own clan and the Order could refine our techniques with an exchange of knowledge.” Though I was well-versed in Unicornian combat tactics, there is only so much to be learned from books. Certainly the Order’s knights would benefit from practicing against pegasi, and ‘twould no doubt be of benefit to my own soldiers to have more varied sparring partners.

“There might indeed.” Daylight agreed. “I suspect, however, that you did not come here merely to discuss a training plan. Or e’en just to make arrangements for your kinsmare and my friend.” The two of us moved aside, so that White could practice in relative peace while we continued our conversation. “Though I am not so active in the city’s politics as some, ‘twould be difficult indeed to remain wholly ignorant of your current position. You have come seeking allies, neigh?”

“‘Twould be pointless to deny it,” I conceded. “‘Tis no secret that for all his skill as a politician, Grand Vizier Polaris is precisely that: a politician. Command of the armies of Equestria should be placed in the hooves of one with the training and experience to make proper use of them.” I considered my position briefly, and made an allowance I had not originally intended to offer. “It matters little to me whether that pony be myself or the grandmaster of this order, or e’en the two of us in concert. I would certainly not refuse the counsel of a pony with his experience, nor would expect that he would refuse my own advice and assistance. As the earth ponies say, ‘tis easier to carry a two-pony cart when both work in concert, rather than at odds with one another.”

“I have not heard that particular turn of phrase, but there is a certain wisdom to it.” Daylight briefly paused our discussion, turning to White Knight. “Thy forelegs stand too near one another, squire. I would suggest a wider stance if thou wouldst wield thy weapon properly.” White did as instructed, then returned to her practice, her blows now moving with a touch more efficiency. That matter attended to, Daylight turned to me once more. “My apologies for the interruption, milady. Though White is not my squire, Radiant is a dear friend, so I do try to mind her when he is absent.”

“I have no objection to it.” The instruction of the young was an important duty for any warrior, and I did not hold so high an opinion of myself that I would grow wroth at a momentary interruption. The magus’ closeness and seeming instinct to watch o’er the young mare did call a possibility to mind. “Is she thy intended?” As I understood matters, ‘twas quite common in Unicornia for friends to ponder a marriage if one possessed a relative of a suitable age and gender.

The question drew a slight snort from the magus. “Hardly. I do not look upon her that way, and I imagine she would be most unreceptive to any advances I might make.” He offered a dismissive wave of his hoof. “It makes little difference, regardless. E’en if either of us desired such a bond, she is of noble blood, whilst I am a bastard.”

Ah. I had forgotten that Unicornia put much stock in bloodlines. In Pegasopolis, ‘twould have been little issue if a pony were of uncertain or unacknowledged heritage. My own daughter was from singularly unimpressive stock, yet she herself was highly capable and a worthy heir to my legacy. It seemed foolish to me to deny a pony opportunities solely on the basis of not knowing the names of his parents.

“In any case,” Daylight announced abruptly, likely desiring a change of subject from his parentage, “‘tis your desire to seek an arrangement with the Order, I would hazard. Though I wish you luck in the endeavour, I must forewarn you not to give free rein to hope. The Order traditionally does not involve itself in Equestria’s politics.” Daylight paused, and a slight smirk crossed his face. “Mayhaps ‘twould be more accurate to say that the Order does not openly involve itself in blatant political maneuvering once the queen’s will is known. Her Majesty has named a general for her armies, and we will march at his command.”

“Even if that command is mistaken?” I demanded.

“‘Tis not our place to question the wisdom of Queen Celestia’s orders,” Daylight answered simply. “Ask the grandmaster if you will, but I fear he will provide the same answer as I have.”

There seemed little to be gained by further pursuing the matter, so I opted for a polite inquiry on a minor point of curiosity instead. “Thou speakest of the Order as one who is a member, yet I have also heard thee named as a magus. I take it the two are not in conflict?”

“The Order has many members from all stations in society, and a magus’ duties are similar to those of a knight in any case.” A brief shadow passed over Daylight’s eyes. “I have been in the Order’s care from the day of my birth. Serving in its ranks is the least I can do to repay all that they have done to aid me.”

Ah, most likely an abandoned foal, then. ‘Twould explain his loyalty to the Order of Sol Invictus quite simply. E’en in Pegasopolis, a young foal with no family or clan to support them was in dire straits. Thankfully, such was a relative rarity ‘mongst the clouds, though I could not shake the grim premonition that such would not be the case by war’s end.

As had been the case before, mention of his lacking birthright unsettled Daylight. In light of recent events, I felt some degree of empathy for one who had been deprived of their parents, but to call further attention to the matter would only heighten his pain. Better then to leave the matter in silence.

My eyes instead shifted to a cluster of several dozen ponies marching in a tightly packed formation across the training yard. ‘Twas an unusual three-tiered formation which I’d not seen the like of in any of my prior readings on unicorn tactics. First came five ranks of ponies bearing long pikes—I would later learn that each had a length of twenty feet. Specially-made slings around the pikeponies’ necks allowed them to drop the pikes into position at a moment’s notice, placing them in a formation where the tips of the last rank’s pikes projected in front of the front line. The effect looked quite formidable, for any enemy would need to evade five speartips to close with the frontlines.

Behind the pikes came a unit of knights bearing mixed melee weapons, presumably to protect the pikes’ vulnerable flanks; while it made a formidable barrier ‘gainst frontal assault, a spear of that length would be most unwieldy in close quarters. A barked command for the drill instructor revealed a second purpose of the unit, as the pikeponies carefully shifted to open a few narrow channels through their ranks, which the melee unit quickly poured through before the pikes closed ranks once more. The precision of the maneuver indicated that they’d been drilled in it many times.

The final tier of the formation consisted of unicorns either armed with ranged weaponry or no weapons at all, the latter of whom would presumably be relying entirely on their magic. Presumably, they would rely upon the front ranks to engage the enemy directly while they remained in the rear, free to strike from a distance whilst remaining relatively unharassed.

Daylight noted the direction of my gaze, and let forth an annoyed snort. “Why are our soldiers practicing in our techniques for engaging monsters? ‘Tis hardly a likely concern for the immediate future. I pray this error is not on account of Radiant giving orders while his mind was otherwise occupied.”

“It seems an effective formation.” I looked over the ponies maneuvering once more. “Most effective.”

“Aye, it serves us well enough ‘gainst most of the larger beasts the Order contends against.” Daylight pointed to each rank in turn as he discussed its role. “The pikes hold the monster at bay; all but the largest and most fearsome of dragons lack the reach to penetrate a twenty foot hedge of spearpoints. If the beast attempts to break through the pikes, it will become caught on the points and be easy prey for our melee forces. If ‘tis held at bay, our ranged units and mages can strike at it unimpeded.” He gave a dismissive wave towards the unit. “A fine formation for its purpose, but ‘twould be a little use ‘gainst pegasi that could simply fly past the whole of it.”

“Mayhaps so.” I could hardly deny the truth of that assessment. And yet, I also could not entirely bring myself to believe that the maneuvers the Order had trained in so carefully were wholly lacking in merit.

Further speculation on the matter would have to wait for another day, as Daylight politely cleared his throat to call my attention ere he pointed to a group of ponies exiting the central keep. I knew enough of the Order’s ranking system to recognize that they were its leaders, presumably finished with their discussion of the war for the moment.

My eye was naturally drawn to the stallion who could only be Grandmaster Crossguard. Unlike the courtly nobles, he wore plain but well cared-for armor, adorned with a simple tabard that announced his rank and affiliation to all. The stallion himself had a steely grey coat, and a mane that had long since gone grey. There was a toughness to him, like old leather—a mien I recognized well from my meetings with the Gerousia. From the way he carried himself ‘twas plain that he was yet a capable warrior despite his years, but time had clearly taken its toll. He moved with a degree of careful deliberation I recognized from Steel Striker, the gait of a warrior who bears the wounds of pains of many old battles.

‘Twas likely that age was the excuse Polaris had used to deny the Grandmaster command of Equestria’s armies. Campaigning in the field is a hard business e’en for the young. Though a pony of Crossguard’s age might still retain much of the strength of his youth, the years had robbed him of some measure of vigor. An all-day march would tax him sorely, and any of the diseases that inevitably strike when large concentrations of ponies are forced into close proximity could easily leave him bedridden for weeks. As I myself have learned, age is far crueler to the warrior than any other pony, for we feel the loss of our body’s strength all too keenly. Wings and hooves that could once strike down the mightiest of foes struggled to complete e’en the simple tasks of daily life. (2)

2: Considering the age at which she wrote her memoirs, Shadow was probably speaking from personal experience on this matter.

However, the Grandmaster yet had strength enough to grasp his blade. As several of his subordinates spoke with him, his gaze met my own. Likely, he’d been informed of my presence. I had not intended to speak with him directly, but ‘twould be the height of rudeness to refuse to acknowledge him when he stood before me. I rose to my hooves and approached, offering a salute once I stood before him; though I would roughly estimate our ranks as equal, I was within his compound, and thus owed him some degree of deference.

Crossguard returned my salute. “Milady Ephor, it is a pleasure.” A tired smile quirked at the corners of his mouth. “I would ask to what I owe the honor of this visit, but I think we both know the reason for it. I also have had a long and tiring day, and there is yet much more to be done before the end of it, so please excuse me if I seem brusque. While I have the utmost respect for your record of service to Equestria, the Order of Sol Invictus does not involve itself in political matters.”

He lifted a hoof to forestall any attempt I might make to dispute his declaration. “That said, if anypony were to ask me who I thought was best suited to command Equestria’s armies, your name would certainly be one I would mention.” He paused, and his smile widened slightly “After my own, of course. I might be old, but I still have a few years of service left in me.”

“But of course.” I was disappointed that I would not have the aid I had hoped for, but after Daylight’s forewarning ‘twas hardly a surprise. His latter remark was at least an offer of what friendship could be had between us given our relative positions. “It has occurred to me that there would be benefit in having some of your soldiers train alongside mine. It would allow your own soldiers to gain experience ‘gainst warriors trained in the fighting arts of Pegasopolis, and my own soldiers would learn to fight alongside unicorns. We could mayhaps e’en devise some new methods of integrating our forces on the battlefield. Pegasus and unicorn together are stronger than either apart.”

“Indeed so,” the Grandmaster agreed. “I think we could learn much from one another if our soldiers trained together. As for new tactics, I look forward to discussing the possibilities when circumstances better allow it. However, for now duty calls, and I must bid you good day.”

Though ‘twould wrong to say that my meeting had proved fruitless, given the arrangement made, it had not yielded the hoped-for results.


My efforts at securing allies had proved less than satisfactory, but I could ill afford to abandon them entirely. The alternative was to concede the matter of leadership, and I judged that an unacceptable outcome. Equestria could ill afford to squander its strength to feed the ego of a politician who was more interested in personal honor and glory than the good of the nation. However, for all my need of a victory, I could not see a clear path to gain it. ‘Twas unfitting that I had come so far and sacrificed so much in the name of loyalty to Commander Celestia, only to find myself contending ‘gainst her other servants to save them from their own folly.

As I would often do when facing a particularly vexing issue, I occupied myself on the training grounds with Gale. In the past there had been others I might also have spoken with, but they were no longer present. I could hardly go to Rightly and unburden my problems ‘pon him when we were at war with one another. Many of the clan’s respected elders were also no longer among us; ‘twould be too simple to say that all the old generation sided with Cyclone’s treason, but his influence was naturally strongest among them, and weaker amongst the younger members of the clan. I suppose ‘twas a blessing, in a particularly twisted way, for it reduced the number of fighting-age ponies he could call to his cause. There were times, however, when I sorely missed the wisdom and experience of my elders. At the moment, I needed guidance more than blades.

Thankfully, my daughter was capable of providing both services. Wisdom and experience are valuable assets, but so are intellect and reason. If the elderly veterans of the clan were truly so wise, they would not have betrayed Commander Celestia and their own kin.

Gale was an apt enough sparring partner. Though she lacked my raw skill or physical prowess, she was inventive enough that I could ill afford to lower my guard ‘gainst her. More than once she has managed to take me unawares with an exotic weapon or strange new fighting style. If nothing else, her fondness for the unusual and unexpected prevented me from growing too complacent in my own fighting style.

This session proved to be no exception, as Gale had brought two new weapons to the fray. These were already unusual in that each required a hoof covering, much like hammer-hooves, but unlike those weapons they interfered with a pony’s ability to use their hooves for their intended purpose, thus requiring her to either fight in the air or while standing on her hind hooves and using her wings for balance. On the left hoof she bore a single straight blade with a reinforced tip intended for punching through armor, while her right carried a sickle-shaped blade which I had found difficult to counter with traditional blocks.

Given the matters weighing on my mind and the need to buy a few more seconds to devise a means of defeating these new weapons, I opted to engage her in conversation. “Havest thou any suggestions, regarding my current troubles?”

Gale answered my request with a smile. “Prepare thyself for a rare defeat, Mother. I havest thou beaten this time.” I deflected a thrust from her straight blade, only to narrowly avoid a downward chop from the sickle. If Gale’s claims of the weapon’s strength were accurate, the point would easily penetrate through a Pegasopolan helmet on a downward swing. Not terribly far, but even putting a mere inch of steel into a pony’s brain was quite sufficient for most purposes.

“Do not declare thy victory before ‘tis gained.” I drove her back with several blows followed by a hard advance, hoping to unbalance her given the awkward stance her weapons forced ‘pon her. Unfortunately, Gale proved capable of maintaining a good balance on only two legs. “But that is not the matter I wished to discuss.”

“Ah, yes, politics.” A thrust from Gale’s blade forced me to halt my attack, buying her a moment to recover and shift her stance to one that seemed more to her liking. “If thou wouldst have my advice, Mother, I would suggest having words with Sunbeam Sparkle. There is a saying among the ponies of Canterlot: those who beg for aid do not have the luxury of choice.”

I scowled at the mere mention of the mare. “I find your advice lacking, then.”

Gale’s eyes briefly turned to the heavens, no doubt imploring them for aid in enduring the trials any child faces when old and close-minded parents fail to grasp their youthful brilliance. Sadly, it did not create an opening that might allow me to turn the tide. “Regardless of thy personal feelings for the mare, Mother, I cannot see another pony nearly so well-positioned to render thee aid, nor half so willing—neigh, eager to make common cause with thee. I do not grasp the logic in seeking tepid statements of possible future support from the lesser figures of Canterlot when one of Unicornia’s most powerful and influential leaders would readily support thee. Though I am not fond of her, ‘twould be far from the first time I have worked alongside others I do not care for.”

I was e’en more taken aback by my daughter’s suggestion, until a particularly troubling thought occurred. “Thou didst visit with young Midnight earlier, didst thou not? Did her mother have words with thee, then?”

“She did,” Gale confessed. “I found her arguments convincing.”

That was not the answer I had wished to hear. I spotted an opening and attempted to close with Gale; both her weapons seemed designed to be most effective when striking with the point, and were far too long to be used in a grapple. However, the thought of Sunbeam had incited enough wrath within me to not realize the opening was a feint until I had already committed to the attack. The thrusting blade struck ‘gainst my breastplate and a moment later my helmet echoed as the tip of sickle-blade struck it.

Gale withdrew, wearing a triumphant smile as she removed her blades. “‘Twould seem the day is mine after all, Mother. Allow me to savor this victory, for I am sure that our next several spars will be painful reminders that thou art the better fighter ‘tween the two of us.”

“Do not doubt it,” I growled as I removed my helmet to rub at my sorely abused head. E’en though my helmet had cushioned the blow, my ears would likely ring from the force of it for some minutes yet.

“Ah, but one should not allow the troubles of the future to make present triumphs any less sweet.” Gale paused, meeting my eyes as her gay tone faded. “Mother, wilt thou think ‘pon what I have suggested. I know ‘tis distasteful, but...”

“There is nothing to think on.” My tone was mayhaps harsher than the request merited, but defeat at my daughter’s hooves and the headache accompanying said defeat had done little to improve a mood that had been less than wholly amicable of late. Seeking allies in Unicornia was proving a trying and fruitless endeavour, and failure rarely improves one’s mood. “I have a meeting with Captain Greenwall of the earth ponies shortly. Once thou art finished with being pleased o’er thy victory, pray use thy sources to find other allies I might seek.”

Gale answered me with a long-suffering sigh. “By your will, Mother. However, I pray you do not dismiss my advice out of hoof when next I give it.”


I met with Captain Greenwall at the palace gardens. The militia captain was, to all appearances, the nearest the loyal earth ponies in Canterlot had to a leader. The proper earth pony government had remained in Manehatten for fear that leaving would be taken as a sign of weakness. There was truth in that, but ‘twould still have been prudent to make some preparation for the possibility that the city would fall. By all reports there was fighting in the streets, and the rebels would likely attempt to claim the city properly. The loyal earth ponies needed a proper representative in Canterlot, if only to ensure that should Manehatten fall there would still be some semblance of loyal earth pony government.

For the moment, however, there was only an ordinary militia captain. Many of the local merchant, farming, and crafting interests and the like also had representatives in the city, but they had no official authority, and regardless were ill-suited to leading in a time of war. Although the earth pony government did not have a proper standing military structure beyond the local militia level, the captains of those militias which had reported to Canterlot thus far seemed inclined to defer to captain of Canterlot’s militia, if only because he played host to them. Thus, my meeting with Captain Greenwall.

The gardens might seem an unusual place for such a discussion, but earth ponies do have a natural affinity to growing things. ‘Twas not so great a surprise the captain might prefer such a location, especially given that the royal gardens were a fine sight. Though I am no expert on matters of botany, I have it on good authority that they are most impressive. For my part, all I saw was a great deal of plant life, much of it admittedly colorful and artfully arranged, but plants nonetheless. ‘Twas fine enough for what it was, but I felt no need to expound ‘pon the grandeur of it.

Greenwall was already awaiting me ‘pon my arrival. I immediately felt a degree of respect for him on account of his plain but functional chainmail adorned only with a simple tabard bearing a blazing sun to mark his allegiance to the Commander. His green mane was cut short, no doubt so ‘twould not become a burden in his daily rigors, and his coat was as brown as the soil from which crops spring. Though he was not the most imposing specimen of the earth pony breed, he was still of respectable size and carried the muscles of a pony who earned his living through labor. He carried no weapons, though if I were to judge by the thick muscles on his legs I would hazard he favored hammer-hooves. (3)

3: Hammer-hooves were very popular weapons among earth ponies, as they allowed them to bring their full strength to bear without requiring much more training than very basic hoof-to-hoof combat. Considering the fact that militiaponies had to earn their living as farmers, miners, and craftsmen, and time spent serving in the militia cut into that, having a weapon which ponies could learn very quickly was of vital importance.

“Ma’am.” Greenwall offered a respectful nod at my approach. “Pleasure to meet you. Been hearin’ a fair bit about you lately.” He offered a hoofshake, which I accepted after a moment’s hesitation. ‘Twas somewhat out of place for a militia captain to speak as an equal to an ephor, but I could hardly make an issue of protocol when I needed his aid. The earth ponies have ne’er been known for a keen interest in formality beyond the most basic of courtesies.

“Captain, thanks to thee for meeting with me.” While I would extend him more respect that I would normally offer a captain of militia, there were limits.

“No problem at all, ma’am.” He paused, taking a quick survey of the gardens to ensure that we had privacy enough to speak openly. “I’ll be honest with you. I met with Grand Vizier Polaris, and I thought he was an ass. I don’t reckon I know too much about how to run an army—I’m just a gardener—but I bet I could do a better job than him. At least I got sense enough to know I’m in over mah head right now. The biggest thing the Canterlot Militia’s ever needed to do is smack Rusty Plow on the back of the head whenever he’s had a few too many drinks and his temper’s up. Fightin’ a war? I ain’t the pony for that. Still, I don’t reckon Polaris has ever even seen a bar brawl, let alone run an army.”

I could not deny the assessment. “I take it, then, that I have thy support in the matter?”

“For what it’s worth.” Greenwall offered a resigned shrug. “It ain’t like anypony asked my opinion before they put Polaris in charge in the first place. Can’t guarantee everypony else’ll feel the same way, but I can talk to some ponies, let ‘em know what I think.”

“That is all I can ask for.” ‘Twas the firmest statement of support I’d received thus far, and a pleasant surprise indeed. “I am surprised, however, that there was no bargaining over the matter.”

Greenwall met my eyes, and a hint of a smile pulled at his lips. “I might work in the royal gardens now, but I spent a while running a shop before that. One thing I learned, you gotta know your customers. Some ponies, you need to argue over every little detail with, and some you can spend less than a minute to get everything sorted out. And some ponies don’t care for bargainin’ at all. You make ‘em fight for it, and it’ll be long and painful. But if’n you just act friendly and decent, and give ‘em a little somethin’ for free, they’ll pay you back more’n you’d ever bargain outta them.” He paused, and let out a chuckle. “Or hay, maybe Polaris is such an ass I’d pay you just to be rid of him.”

Well, ‘twould seem the supposedly simple gardner was at least a keener mind than he claimed. However, given his own admission and my knowledge of the earth pony militias, I could safely assume that their military readiness was less than ideal. “There is one other matter I would discuss. My own clanponies and the Order of Sol Invictus have been training alongside one another, so that we might learn each other’s methods. I see no reason to think that training alongside earth ponies would do anything other than improve our forces.”

Greenwall considered my proposal, and offered a slow nod. “Makes sense. I reckon we’ll end up doing a lot more learnin’ than teachin’, but I figure that’s what you had in mind anyway. You were just too polite to say it. Still, we might have a couple little tricks ya’ll haven’t thought of yet.”

I answered that with a faint smile. “I look forward to learning them, then.”

The earth pony let out a chuckle. “Startin’ to sound like you’re thinking of restarting the EUP.” (4)

4: The EUP (Earth Unicorn Pegasus) was a brief attempt at establishing a unified Equestrian military in the aftermath of Princess Luna’s banishment. The EUP fell apart within a few years on account of the differences between the three pony breeds. As I’m sure most readers have noticed by now, the pegasi were very proud of their warrior heritage, and chafed at the idea of being under the command of less professional earth ponies and unicorns. Admittedly, the chain of command was horribly muddled, with things like admirals commanding a single squad.

For their part, the earth ponies disliked the shift from the casual militia system to a more professionalized force that required military discipline, and the unicorn nobles frequently complained that earth ponies and pegasi failed to show them ‘proper deference.’ While the EUP failed, it did at least serve as a useful lesson in the problems of creating a unified Equestrian military, and a few formations like the Wonderbolts did survive the experiment.

“Mayhaps so,” I conceded. “We can ill afford further division ‘mongst our ranks.”

“Reckon you’re right on that one.” Greenwall offered a grim smile “S’like the old saying goes: if we don’t stick together, the rebels will just stick us all one at a time.”

“Indeed they will.” ‘Twould likely be one of the greatest advantages for the rebels in the war: the clans would work together as a single unified whole. “However, I have confidence we shall win through.” In all, the meeting had been quite productive. I had finally secured a full and proper ally. Not the best one in terms of politics, but as my daughter had said, I could hardly afford to refuse anypony.


I was well satisfied with the day’s events as I sought my bed that evening. Though I still did not have the political coalition required to unseat Polaris, I had at least established a base of support within the unicorn and earth pony forces. ‘Twas a basis ‘pon which to move forward, if nothing else.

As the clan’s new hold had not yet been made ready, I resided in one of the many guest rooms within the Commander’s Royal Palace. Thankfully, Commander Celestia had provided me with rooms suited to my tastes, and I was spared the trouble of using golden, gem-encrusted manebrushes, bedsheets, and privies. I will never grasp why the ponies of Canterlot were so fond of excessive opulence. As it was, my quarters were tastefully decorated and functional. I had half a mind to ask the Commander’s leave to simply transfer the contents to my new clanhold, once ‘twas in readiness.

I was relaxing in front of the fireplace, pondering over the possibilities of the new integrated training scheme I had somehow formed, when flames flared up. Having recalled when this had happened previously I immediately made ready, though this time I did not take aggressive action.

As I’d suspected was the case, moments later Sunbeam Sparkle emerged from my fireplace, seemingly unharmed by the flames. I could not help but wonder if mayhaps ‘twould be wiser not to maintain a large fire in my rooms. As I understood it, magi could only transport themselves when given a proper medium to work with, and e’en then only the greatest among them could manage the feat. Instant transportation without a conveying medium was a power only the Commander knew.

“Magus.” I did not bother to disguise my displeasure at seeing her. “Most ponies have the decency to use a door, and request permission ere they enter another’s private quarters.”

The rebuke seemed to have no effect upon the former archmagus, and as she approached I noted a furious scowl upon her face. I briefly wondered if I had badly misjudged her intent by assuming she came in peace, and my eyes warily shifted to her horn, watching for the first sign of hostile magic. ‘Twas perhaps that very wariness that allowed her to land a blow—when facing a magus, one is naturally inclined to expect a magical strike, not a physical one. The slap caught me unawares, but the magus did not have the strength to make the blow especially telling.

E’en though no injury had been caused, I was understandably displeased by being struck. Before I could decide ‘pon the proper means of expressing that, Sunbeam Sparkle spoke her own mind, her voice far rougher than her usual refined tones. “Celestia’s teats, mare, can ye not see what is plain in front of yer face!” She briefly paused, cleared her throat, and her voice returned to its usual educated tone. “Your stubborn refusal to make common cause with me has caused a calamity.”

“A calamity?” I rubbed my struck cheek, scowling at the mare. For the moment, curiosity o’erruled thoughts of vengeance. “Do explain.”

“Manehatten has fallen to the rebels,” she snapped. “‘Twill make it all but impossible to unseat Polaris. Now that the fighting has properly begun, none will want to take the risk of removing the current commander of our armies. Had you simply seen reason, we might have acted in concert ere this occurred. You could have restored me to favor with Celestia in the span of minutes, and from there I could have gathered my own allies to undermine Polaris’ base of power. E’en if we could not have unseated him, with our combined influence we could have forced concessions from him. Now, he rules virtually uncontested, and ‘tis too late to move ‘gainst him.”

I had an angry retort on my lips when an unpleasant thought struck me. Her assessment was not entirely mistaken. My own efforts had met with some success, but they had been slow to bear fruit. And had not Copper and Gale both advised me to make peace with Sunbeam? Was it possible that I’d mistaken stubborn pride for principle? And in so doing, had I doomed Equestria to fall to the rebels?

‘Twas a most troubling thought.

PreviousChapters Next