• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 19,211 Views, 3,074 Comments

The Lunar Rebellion - Chengar Qordath



One hundred years after Luna’s banishment, unrest among the three pony tribes threatens to plunge Equestria into civil war.

  • ...
48
 3,074
 19,211

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude 3: Manehatten

It should probably come as no great surprise that the Ephorate managed a much quicker mobilization than the Loyalists. For all its many flaws, the old Pegasopolan system of military rule had produced a very efficient military machine. Between that and the obvious mobility advantages of a flying army compared to one that needs to worry about roads and terrain, it was inevitable that the Lunars would be able to strike the first blow in the war, and continue to hold the initiative for much of the war’s early stages.

There’s been a great deal of debate about their decision to advance on Manehatten. Many armchair generals have argued that the Lunars should have instead advanced on Canterlot, where they could have potentially won the war in a single battle. I personally disagree with this argument: even if the Loyalists had not yet fully mobilized, there were already substantial forces in the city, and the later Siege of Canterlot amply demonstrated how difficult it would be to break the city’s defenses.

While it is certainly possible that the rebels might have taken the city unawares and won the subsequent pitched battle, the risks involved in such an endeavour would have been massive, and the odds of success were low. I suspect most of those who say the Lunars should have immediately moved on the capital of Unicornia operate with the benefit of hindsight: any alternative that might have succeeded, however slim its chances, seems preferable when we know the historical course of events leads to defeat. The Ephorate, however, did not have the benefit of hindsight, or a historian's knowledge of the Loyalists’ state of readiness.

While taking Manehatten was a more conservative move, it was certainly an intelligent one from a strategic and political standpoint. Given that the entire conflict began over the disputed earth pony elections, whichever side held the earth pony capital would be much better positioned to claim their loyalty. For all the talk of how the earth ponies were split down the middle, the truth was far more complex than an even fifty-fifty split. For every pony who was passionate enough in his beliefs to fight to the death over the matter, there were five who had a preference, but were mostly interested in making it out of the war alive. Holding Manehatten ensured that a lot of the more lukewarm supporters of the rebellion would come out of the woodwork, while the more moderate of Celestia’s proponents would keep their heads down.

The other big advantage of attacking Manehatten was that the city was in no condition to resist. While the Vice-Chancellor and the Mayor had both officially declared for Celestia, many of Apple Tree’s supporters were rioting in the streets, and enough of the local law enforcers were sympathetic to make suppressing the riots difficult. Those same political divisions made calling up local militias problematic, lest they prove similarly divided and add to the chaos, or even outright defect to the rioters.

Needless to say, a city with no army and local law enforcement that couldn’t even keep order in the streets stood no chance against the battle-hardened army of Pegasopolis. While many decried the decision as cowardice at the time, surrendering the city without a fight was the only realistic option. I rather doubt the loyalist government could have cobbled together enough of a force to even mount a suicidal token defence to satisfy honor.

For this interlude, I’ve decided to draw upon two documents. Firstly, a transcript of the speech given by Acting Commander Rightly Doo upon taking the city, and secondly, an excerpt from the memoirs of Dusk Charger.


“I know many of the ponies of Manehatten are fearful at the prospect of a foreign army entering their city. Though the bonds between earth pony and pegasus are strong and ancient, recent events have given many cause to question whether the old treaties still stand. Allow me to take this opportunity to assure every single pony in the city of the following: not only do the old agreements stand, they have never been stronger. Long ago, the ponies of Pegasopolis swore to protect their brethren from all who would threaten them, and today we uphold that vow! We come to this city not as conquerors seeking plunder, but as liberators throwing off the yoke of an uncaring foreign queen who sought to destroy your democratic traditions.

“Pegasopolis has always shared a special bond with the earth ponies. Though our ways differ from yours, we still elect our leaders. We still believe that rulership should lie with the best ponies, not those who have the fortune of being born into one so-called noble family. We believe in a government where reason, debate, and consensus hold sway, not the whims of a distant and uncaring queen who believes herself above the law. We believe that governments should serve their citizens, not that the place of ponies is to grovel like dogs before their leaders.

“In days long before any of us were born, Manehatten suffered the cruelty of griffon occupation, until the armies of Pegasopolis marched forth under the leadership of Commander Luna and cast the griffon hordes back into the sea. Today, the armies of Pegasopolis once more free this city—but this time not from the tyranny of another species, but from our own kind gone astray. As Luna once freed this city, so do we free it, and we honor the sacrifices of our ancestors and the ancient promises we once again fulfill by marching beneath the very same flag. No matter the enemy, when ponies of Manehatten cry out for the freedoms they have been denied by the whim of tyrants, we will answer the call. So long as Pegasopolis stands, the earth will always be free!

“Because we are here to free you, I guarantee the safety and security of every single pony within Manehatten. Our soldiers will not harm you. Your property and possessions will all be vouchsafed by myself and the other members of the Ephorate. Law and order will be upheld, and all shall be allowed to live as they once did. The hetairoi, my own personal companions and protectors, shall work to ensure exactly that in the coming days.

“The corrupt and decadent servants of the tyrant Celestia, which could only hold power through lies and treachery, have already fled the city, and good riddance to them. To ensure a smooth and orderly transition of power, I have appointed Ephor Swift Blade to oversee the creation of a new earth pony government which will reflect the true needs and desires of the common pony. It is my hope that all the ponies of Manehatten, and indeed all the earth ponies across Equestria, will work alongside his efforts so that normalcy might be swiftly restored.

“Fare you well, Manehatten, and enjoy your freedom. May it endure until the end of time.”


We took Manehatten without a fight. Mother was no doubt beside herself with grief.

I confess a certain curiosity to explore the earth pony city, if only for the novelty of the experience. I’d never truly had occasion to interact with our groundbound cousins before. Acting Commander Rightly helpfully accommodated my desires by ordering that his elite hetairoi patrol the city as if they were common gendarmes. While Mother had been most eager to see her children have the honor of a place in the hetairoi, she’d neglected to inform us that in addition to the prestigious duty of seeing to his personal safety, we would also be serving as a convenient means of demonstrating just how much he cared about the earth ponies without actually requiring any personal efforts on his part.

Such are the hazards of taking a politically charged post.

Still, matters were not entirely without consolation. My older sister Lance commanded the hetairoi, so I was at least spared from patrolling seedy back alleys and the like. Though really, I doubt anypony was expecting us to bother with that kind of thing to begin with. The hetairoi were supposed to be out in the markets of Manehatten, so that everypony could see how Rightly’s personal bodyguards were busily maintaining order. Luna forbid we should go to where actual crimes were occurring, given that criminals have this annoying habit of trying to avoid witnesses. Far better that we apprehended a petty cutpurse in the middle of the agora, where all Manehatten could bear witness, than stop a murder where nopony could see it.

There was also the rather pleasant company of my wingmare, Sierra Doo. Granted, the pleasure of her company was less than it could have been, given that she was wed to another. Pity too, for she was a rather attractive mare with a fine olive green coat that nearly matched the tone of her clan’s armor, complemented by a most flattering brown mane. Some years older than me, but not so much that ‘twould have made a passing diversion impossible. ‘Twas likely for the best that nothing could come of it, though. Lance likely would have chastised me for acting lecherously with a wingmare.

The two of us were on guard in Manehatten’s central agora. Well, I called it an agora, though in truth ‘twas quite different from what I had seen in Cloudsdale. The buying and selling of goods and services made the entire place far more noisesome than Cloudsdale e’en on its busiest days. Merchants shouted of the superior quality of their goods, barking offers at any passers-by, some of whom shouted back their own counter-offers. Needless to say, we attracted quite a few glances of our own; some curious, some friendly, and many wary.

“So, these are the ponies we came to liberate?” I passed my gaze over the marketplace once more. “Curious that they do not seem to have been so terribly oppressed, nor overjoyed to see their liberators.”

“They are frightened.” My wingmare did not turn to face me, her eyes still scanning the crowd. “In truth, I cannot blame them. War is no doubt a frightening prospect to those who do not have the ability to defend themselves. They must worry for the safety of their families and loved ones.” Sierra’s voice turned softer, and forlorn. “‘Tis a trouble I know all too well.”

“Thy thoughts linger on thy husband, then?”

“Aye,” she confessed. “I pray we are done with this war ere we must face the Kickers on the battlefield. I fear the very idea of it, for I do not know what would pass if Stalwart and I found one another on the field.” She turned to me, curiosity showing in her golden eyes. “Didst thou have the pleasure of meeting him during thy time with the Kickers?”

It took me a minute to remember the stallion in question. One othe more respected sergeants among the clan’s ranks, with a talent for training new recruits. “I did, though only in passing. He seemed a fine enough stallion.” I considered for a moment, then offered a quick oath. “Should I meet him on the field, I shall do what I can to see that his life is spared.”

“I thank thee for the offer,” Sierra murmured. “I only pray that my daughter still has a father when this war is ended. Astra already misses him, and I would not have her parted from him for all of time.” Her eyes turned west, to Canterlot. “The unicorns cannot ignore the loss of Manehatten. They will meet us in the field, and we will defeat them. Mayhaps then reason will return and the Sun Tyrant will ask for terms.”

“I would prefer to see the matter settled with a minimum of bloodshed.” My own mind turned to the Kickers. Though by law they’d been stripped of that name, Ephor Cyclone’s declaration seemed a weak one when he presided over but a small fraction of the clan. “Shadow and her kin may have chosen poorly in backing Celestia, but they are not villains. Loyalty is a virtue, e’en if they are misguided in which loyalty they value most highly.” I offered my wingmare further words of reassurance. “The Kickers will be allowed back into the fold at the war’s ending. I have heard from Mother that amnesty will be offered to all members of the clan, e’en Shadow herself. Contingent on submitting to Cyclone as paterfamilias and ephor, of course.”

“Naturally.” Sierra turned to me. “Are there any within the clan thou wouldst see live out the war? I’ve heard rumors that your mother hoped to match thee to Shadow’s daughter, ere matters reached the point of war.”

“I would not be surprised by it.” If her own life was anything to judge by, Mother was most aware of the importance of binding the clans together by blood. “Gale was a most comely mare, though I fear she was less than fond of me. Her passion for me was like the burning sun, in that it was quite painful with prolonged exposure. I fear ‘twas more passionate hatred than lust, though I’ve heard it said that there are times when the distinction between the two is uncertain. If that be the case, I shudder to think of what form her true ire would take.”

I fell silent for a time, then offered a confession of my own. “In truth, I am concerned about my sister, Dawn. She is of Kicker blood, and of an age where ‘twould not be surprising if Mother expects to see her blooded ere the war’s ending.” E’en though Dawn aspires to be a medicae, ‘twould be unseemly for the daughter of an ephor to not have some battle accolades to her name. “I would not have my sister’s first experience in battle be the shedding of kinsblood.”

“The shedding of any pony’s blood is a poor first experience for a warrior.” Sierra frowned, shaking her head. “I had thought we lived in an age where such things were long past, aside from the odd criminals and blackguards.” She paused, tapping a hoof idly against her chin. “Does her sire yet live? I would spare him, if I can.”

“I do not recall the name,” I confessed. “I was quite young at the time, and Mother’s partners were passing. Nopony of especial prominence; only I was privileged enough to have an illustrious sire, and that was more by happenstance than design.” For all that she had borne her children to foster bonds with the other clans, Mother had always ensured that we saw ourselves as hers above all else. Had she known more than two decades ago that Steel Striker was not merely a promising young officer, but in fact a future member of the Ephorate, she likely would have chosen another. As it was, I’d exchanged only a few sentences with the stallion o’er the course of my entire life. Though given how sparse he was with his words, that was small surprise.

Sierra frowned in thought. “I see. Mayhaps when next thou hast the opportunity, thou shouldst inquire of thy mother whether...” Sierra slowly trailed off, an ear flicking in annoyance as several particularly loud yells from the agora-goers drowned her out. “What passes now? Are they having another argument over their monies?”

I sought out the source of the disturbance, only to find a cluster of shouting and highly agitated earth ponies. ‘Twas impossible to see the cause of their ire, and far too many were shouting for anypony to make out what they were saying. Whatever the case, ‘twas clearly a disturbance that merited our intervention. The two of us approached, and Sierra unleashed a bellow she’d no doubt perfected in the course of raising a child. “What passes here?!”

The crowd stilled somewhat at our approach, and a few of the ponies nearest us stood aside, revealing a small cluster of earth ponies in the center of the crowd. The stallion immediately caught my eye, due to his split lip and several rapidly forming bruises. The shredded remains of a heavy cloak were draped about him, and he protectively clutched a mare and two young children to his chest, attempting to shield them from the mob’s wrath.

“That’s the murderin’ bastard!” One of the many ponies in the mob shouted out. “Danver Carrot! He’s the one what killed Apple Tree!”

I turned my attention to the stallion once more, scrutinizing him carefully. The Commander had mentioned that Danver Carrot was believed responsible for the murder, and there were posters about the agora declaring his status as an outlaw. The stallion’s mane was not bright green as Danver’s was, but his coat matched, and there are means by which the mane’s color can be changed. His flank was indeed adorned with carrots, and judging by the tattered remnants of a cloak on his back, he’d likely been attempting to hide his identity. Or perhaps he simply liked wearing a cloak. (1)

1: There were over a dozen ponies lynched or executed on suspicion of being Danver Carrot over the course of the rebellion, mostly in more isolated small towns where news from the outside tended to be rather hit-or-miss. While most historians agree that the stallion in this incident was in fact the real Danver Carrot, some have theorized that one of the other stallions was the real Danver, or even that he somehow eluded capture, survived the war, and lived out the rest of his life in anonymity.

Regardless, I took charge of the situation. “Very well. We shall take him into custody and see that justice is done.”

“To hay with that!” One of the many mob members cried out. “We got plenty of justice right here! Somepony find a tree, and let’s string him up!”

While earth ponies were often said to be uneducated, I would have thought they at least knew the difference between justice and mob violence. Sadly, I was mistaken in that belief, and soon the rest of the crowd began loudly agreeing with the suggestion that this stallion who was probably Danver Carrot ought to be lynched.

As the crowd tightened menacingly around the small family, I turned to Sierra. “Find Lance—we need greater numbers.” For all the famed skill of the warriors of Pegasopolis and the Commander’s hetairoi, two pegasi would be hard pressed to subdue several dozen rioting earth ponies. Well, I imagine if we killed a few of them the rest would quickly back down, but I doubt Commander Rightly would appreciate that. Murdering earth ponies in the streets would not be the best way to persuade them that we had come in peace as friends and liberators. 'Twould be rather pointless to disperse a small riot by doing something that would cause the entire city to riot.

Sierra made haste in obeying, leaving me alone to face the budding lynch mob. I shouted in a vain effort to make myself heard, but my voice was just one of many, and as the mob grew larger and larger I was forced into the sky simply to avoid being crushed. There was little I could do to protect the stallion who was suspected, and the mob shortly descended upon him. To make matters worse, several ponies descended upon the mare and foals accompanying him. To what little credit a rioting mob deserves, the children were spared the mob’s fury.

The mare was less fortunate. Though none of them did her immediate violence, she was roughly restrained, and I misliked the ugly mood of the mob. ‘Twas entirely too likely that if matters continued to degenerate they would reach a point where I would have to intervene, no matter the consequences. Though I misliked the idea of using severe force ‘gainst the very ponies I had come to this city to free, there are some offenses which no warrior of Pegasopolis could allow.

As I readied myself for the possibility of battle, a single powerful voice cut through the din. “Stay this madness!”

All eyes turned to the sky, where my sister Lance hovered above the crowd. I cannot entirely account for how Lance was able to capture the mob’s attention with three words, where all my efforts to control them had failed. The best I can explain it is to say that Lance had a sense of presence which I lacked. ‘Twas not a simple matter of appearance, though her golden coat and white mane were certainly striking—to the extent which I could say such of my sister, she was quite comely. Nor was it her size, though much like our mother she was a mare of strength. However, e’en Mother did not carry same indefinable quality that ensured that all eyes were drawn to her whenever she wished it, and that when she issued a command ponies complied without thought. Mother was a formidable mare indeed, yet lacked the raw force of personality that Lance carried.

Ponies obeyed Mother because they knew her accomplishment and reputation, and likely feared that she would smite them if they failed to comply. They obeyed Lance because they could not conceive of defying her to begin with.

My older sister landed in the midst of the mob, those ponies who stood beneath her hastily moving aside so that she would have room to stand. She turned a withering glare upon those who were clustered about the stallion and his wife, and the mob hastily released their victims and moved aside. She then turned on one of the many ponies in the mob, her lance pointing at him accusingly. “Thou. Justify this.”

The stallion flinched away from her. “Well, um, ma’am, he’s Danver Carrot.”

“And the mare?” My sister demanded, her glower intensifying.

The stallion said nothing, stepping further back in a vain effort to disappear into the crowd’s ranks.

Lance finally released the stallion from her gaze, but only so she could direct it to the rest of the crowd. “I have never before had the pleasure of visiting Manehatten. Is this to be my introduction to thy city?” As one, the crowd flinched in guilt. “I have heard it said that this is a city of progress and innovation, yet now I see the most base instincts of all ponykind revealed. I am deeply and personally disappointed with every single pony here. There is no excuse for this.”

One of the ponies in the mob vainly tried to speak in his own defense. “But he’s—”

“There is no excuse.” Lance did not raise her voice in the slightest, yet it cracked out with iron, unquestionable authority. Her gaze once more turned to the ponies directly responsible for the attack. “Thou shalt surrender thyselves to the gendarmerie for thy crimes. As for the rest of thee, a twenty bit fine shall be levied upon all present who joined the mob, and those funds shall be used to compensate the good ponies of Manehatten for their trouble in aiding our cause.”

The crowd hesitated for a long moment, then the stallion Lance had singled out earlier reluctantly pulled out his bitpurse and deposited the required amount of coins before Lance. Once the first pony acted to break the dam, the rest followed his example, and soon dozens of ponies slowly filed past her, paying the fine and offering shamefaced apologies, only to be met with Lance’s disdainful glower. Reinforcements from the hetairoi and local gendarmerie arrived as the last of the rioters were dispersing, save for the ponies Lance had apprehended for more severe crimes.

After briefly speaking with his wife, the mob’s victim stepped to Lance’s side. “Thank ya kindly, ma’am. They was aimin’ to kill every one of us, ‘fore you showed up.”

Lance offered a single, slight nod. “I know not whether thou art the criminal the mob claimed. E’en if that be so, ‘tis a matter for courts and judges, not wild ponies in the throes of madness.” Lance paused, then removed her own cloak and offered it to the stallion’s wife. “And the price for thy crimes is thine, and thine alone.” She nodded to the gendarmes, and they took the family in hoof. The mare briefly protested when her husband was taken from her and put in chains, but he waved her down. Danver Carrot, if he was indeed Danver, seemed resigned to his fate and did not even make a token effort to resist his arrest. Mayhaps he was willing to face trial in return for the safety of his family, or mayhaps the guilt of his crimes had consumed him.

With the matter settled, I approached my sister, a genial smile on my face. “Impressive as ever, Lance. Though I must say, landing in the middle of a mob was bold. What wouldst thou have done if they turned against thee?”

“Given their numbers and temperament, I expect I would have died,” she answered simply.

I was rather taken aback by the casual ease with which she announced that. “Some would say that thou art far too valuable to Pegasopolis to be lost attempting to prevent the lynching of a murderer.”

Lance answered me with a single shake of her head. “This is a war of principles, Dusk. We must stand true to what is right, e’en if it costs us our lives. Better that the war be lost than to win it at the cost of decency, for then we will have become the very evil we fought to prevent. I would sooner die than live to see such a thing.”

I smiled and briefly touched my shoulder to hers. “I am glad it did not come to that. Especially since Mother likely would have burned the city to the ground and put everypony within to the sword to avenge thee.”


Danver Carrot was executed for the murder of Apple Tree three days later, by order of the Free Earth Pony Provisional Government.

PreviousChapters Next