• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 1,933 Views, 29 Comments

With What Little Time is Left - TheExhaustedBrony



Not much time is left for Rainbow Dash

  • ...
3
 29
 1,933

Memories

"Come on Dash! Check out this new trick I made up!"

"Alright, Scoots, let's see what ya got."


Those memories... I carry them with me every day. I've always looked up to Rainbow Dash because I've never really had anyone in my life to look up to. I would play with my friends, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom every day, trying to earn our cutie marks. Whenever our crusading got out of hand, Sweetie Belle would be scolded by her sister Rarity and Apple Bloom would get scolded by her sister Applejack. I however, wasn't scolded by anypony in particular, because there wasn't anyone to do it.

It wasn't until forty years ago, when I came up with a brilliant plan for me and Dash to spend some more time together. I went camping with the other crusaders and their sisters, Rainbow Dash came along too. I don't remember much about the trip itself, it was so long ago, but I do remember Rainbow Dash telling me that she'd take me in. It was the best day of my life and from that point on, we were always together. She was like my big sister and I couldn't have been happier to call the best flyer in Equestria my family. Forty years have passed since then. Things have really changed since that day. Today, I'm at Ponyville hospital for my weekly visits.

As I entered the front door, I was immediately blasted by the smell of disinfectant. However, it didn't phase me. I've been here enough times that I've gotten used to the smell. The pony at the front desk noticed me and said,

"Hello, Scootaloo, here to visit Rainbow Dash again?"

"Yea. Is she in her room?"

"Yes she is. I'm so sorry about last week. I was afraid that we might lose her."

"It gave everypony a scare, you weren't the only one. Anyway, thank you."

"Tell her I said hello."

"I will."

Last week, I got news that Rainbow Dash had taken a bad fall. Apparently, she tried to get out of her bed, but fell onto the floor. Her body is brittle and can't take the same punishment it used to be able to. Luckily, she's okay now, but this put a scary realization into my head. She doesn't have a lot of time left.

I continued down the hall. It was dead quiet, the only things I could hear was my heartbeat and my hooves clicking against the hard floor. I knew where I was going, I've been coming here every week for the past five years, yet for some reason, I found myself looking at each of the doors as I passed them. I guess it's a nervous habit that I picked up on.

Two hundred and eight, two hundred and nine... here we are, two-ten. I opened the door to see the same plain room. The only things that decorated the otherwise, dull, atomosphere were a few photographs and a necklace with a red thunder bolt jewel on it. Rainbow Dash was wrapped in a blanket on the bed in the center. She was facing the window so I could only see her mane from the door. It had lost its brilliance and faded over the years, but it didn't lose its color. I approached the bed trying not to cry.

"Rainbow Dash? It's me, Scootaloo. I've come for my weekly visit." I had to make sure I spoke loudly, her body has gotten very weak and she can't hear very well anymore.

"Oh, hello dear. What are you doing here?" She asked softly.

"I'm here for my weekly visit." I repeated myself a little louder this time. She obviously didn't hear me.

"Oh, that makes me so happy." Rainbow Dash perked up a little, "How are you?"

"I'm good, the kids have been such a handful. Do you remember Sunbeam and Spectrum?"

"Of course I remember them, those two little bundles of joy. What have they been up to?"

"Oh you know, the usual. Constantly asking about cutie marks and how to get them. They just want to get theirs right away and I tell them from personal experience that it takes time."

"I remember when you were always running around Ponyville with your friends. You always got into trouble, you did."

"Come on, I didn't always get into trouble. But I'm glad that you remember." I was more than glad, I was thrilled that she was able to remember something from so long ago. However, it wasn't enough to rid me of my fears.

"Is something wrong, Scootaloo?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"N-nothing. It's just that I'm remembering all those good memories."

"I don't believe you. What's making you sad?"

I didn't want to answer that. I just didn't have it in me to tell her that she's going to die soon. She probably already knows, but I don't want to hear myself say it. I couldn't hold back anymore and tears began welling in my eyes.

"Scootaloo... don't be sad for me. I know I don't have a lot of time left in this world. I've had a wonderful life and made lots of friends. Most importantly, I met you. I want to see you smile and be happy in my last moments."

"Okay... I'll make sure to bring some smiles with me the next time I visit." I said, wiping tears away from my eyes.

"Good... good... I-I'm getting tired..." Rainbow Dash yawned.

"I understand, it's about time I got back to the kids anyway."

"Tell them that I said hello."

"I will." I said as I walked to the door.

"Oh, and Scootaloo?"

I turned around, "Yes?"

"Happy hearths warming eve."

"Happy hearths warming eve to you too, mom."

Our conversation ended after fifteen minutes. A couple years ago, these visits used to be a lot longer, some lasting up to an hour and a half, but now in her weakened state, her body constantly needs rest. I closed the door behind me and walked to the main entrance.

Author's Note:

I wrote this from the heart after visiting my grandmother. She's not doing well. If you read this, please keep in mind that all negative feedback and overly harsh criticism will be ignored/deleted. I'll work on fixing this when I feel up to it.

Comments ( 29 )

I love stories that are about people (ponies in this case) remembering what's important in life, and it always being bitter-sweet.

Hmm........that was an okay story, but here, let me review it.

The problem is-

bigideasblog.infusionsoft.com/wp-content/uploads/thumbs-up.jpg


-that it was a rather decent slice of life.

(\(;_;)/)
Why you make me sadded?

1817263 Because a lot of fucked up shit is happening in the world. Both mine and everyone else's.

Diggin' it, man.

Personal experience is a good thing to write off of, and despite how short this thing was, it was strangely beautiful. It didn't take every last thing and make it an agony. You expressed the realistic feelings of someone in that situation. Realism is hard to come by in Fan Fics, and this genre tends to be one of the most jaded, with the definite exception of romance. I don't think anyone else is going to say this, but as it is, it's easily one of the best sadfics I've ever read.
Also, I wish your grandmother a peaceful rest of her days.

1817581 :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

And thanks for the concern.:pinkiesad2:

That was really short, yet it was quite emotional. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but it was great. :twilightsmile:

1817757 Thank you. I hope the shortness wasn't a bad thing though.

1817761 It wasn't; short and sweet. Oh, I'll pray for your grandma. My grandma isn't doing too well herself. :fluttershysad:

Thanks for the story I know what your dealing with I gone thought it my self you are in my thoughts.

1817942 Your welcome and thank you for reading.

Those first two lines made me feel sad... the rest not as much but good story. :scootangel::rainbowkiss:

Cherish what time you have with your grandmother. You're lucky to still have one worth caring about.

I think I get the idea why you recommended this to me. Thanks man. :pinkiesad2:

Short but sweet, It made me a little sad but I still enjoyed the story despite the sadness. You have really improved since your first stories and everything seems more paced and smooth, keep the awesomeness up! :rainbowkiss:

1820843 is the story over?

3134944. Shit man! I completely forgot about this! Yea, it is. This was a one shot.

3138835 well thanks for the answer :scootangel: i cried when i was reading this :fluttercry: a very good story
and im sorry for you grandmother i know what it feels my grandmother died 3 years ago

This really hits me where I live.

Beautiful..... :pinkiesad2:

3950888 You're welcome.

To quote the great. Twitter bitch:

Dem feels.

Another brilliant piece of Bronywork. If I read one more story of this quality, I might just have to follow.

I can definitely feel you with the whole grandmother thing. I visited my great aunt once for a few days, and grew so attached to her you'd think id know her all my life. She and her husband were the ones who taught me to play chess. Before I left, I promised I'd visit her again someday.

Well, about a year later, I got a call while I was on vacation with my grandmother that my aunt died. It was a horrible feeling, knowing if never see her again. What was even worse is that I broke my promise. I never paid a second visit.

I definitely feel you. Absolutely. Celestia, I'm tearing up now.

P.S.

Take it away, Brendan Urie!

Oh memories,
Where did you go?
You're all I've ever known!
How I miss yesterday, I let it fade away.
Don't fade awa-a-a-ay...

Login or register to comment