• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 8,105 Views, 1,106 Comments

The Book of Water: The Marriage of the Slave King - TalonMach5



Book two of four, in the Great Slave King saga. An anthology of Equestria's history

  • ...
31
 1,106
 8,105

PreviousChapters
Epilogue: Then in the Fourth Age of Ponies...

The Book of Water: The Marriage of the Slave King

A Story by TalonMach5

Epilogue: Then in the Fourth Age of Ponies...

Silver Tongue looked up at the strange wayfarer who had been telling him the undoubtedly ancient tale. The pale green unicorn harper, watched him take another drag from his pipe, before exhaling the smoke in a large ring over their heads. Pushing back his blue wide brimmed hat that had slipped down from his silvery mane with his hoof, he wondered where the human had heard it from. But more importantly, why. After the string of events that he’d been forced to endure through today, he needed answers.

Though he was no stranger to wayfarers, many of his closest friends and associates in the harper’s guild were human. He questioned why he’d ended up meeting with this particular human, after being dumped in the middle of the Everfree Forrest by Scourge and Boomer, his dragon associate. He studied him carefully, wondering if it was pure happenstance or something else entirely that had led to their meeting here in the forest.

The wayfarer caught the pony staring at him, and offered him a toothy grin. Though the firelight provided some illumination, it wasn’t enough to see more than the vague shape of his host’s face. “Traveler, how did you enjoy my story?” he asked, puffing his pipe once more.

“It was a good tale,” Silver Tongue admitted, wishing he knew where the human had heard the story from. With the complete story at his disposal, he’d have something new to wow the crowds with in either Jamestown or Marelantis. “Where did you happen upon on it?”

“Why, looking to expand your repertoire, harper?” the human said with a slight chuckle.

“How did you know I was a harper?” Silver Tongue asked, growing suspicious of his host. “I never told you that.”

Leaning forward so that his entire face was illuminated by the crackling fire, the human looked at him with his warm brown eyes. “Friend,” he said, wearing a small smile. “When you have been around as long as I have, you gain sort of a sixth sense for these type of things.”

“What so you mean?” he asked, feeling curious about his host.

“Well I mean, pony,” he said, adding some wood to the fire. “You long to share in the adventures of your forebearers, but are too afraid to take the first step past your door.”

When he was confronted with the accusation, Silver Tongue felt himself growing warm, whether from the heat of the campfire or his own embarrassment, he didn’t know. “Sir, are you calling me a coward?” he said, raising his voice at the much larger human.

“Friend, I know a little bit about being afraid,” the human said, giving the unicorn a thoughtful look. “It’s alright to fear, but unless you face your fear, you’ll never truly live.”

“I see,” Silver Tongue replied, remembering how he’d turned down Scourge’s offer to join them in the search for the Vendetta.

The Vendetta, the very idea of searching for the lost relic was pure folly. Didn’t they know, that the emperor and all his servants had scoured where the Diamond Vale had once been for centuries, and they still had left emptyhoofed. The idea that anypony, especially a washed up never been like himself, could quest for the long lost crown of some dead god in a quest to put an end to the emperor’s war once and for all, was insanity. Such things were beyond him, the only use he had anymore, was for entertaining drunkards and hecklers in backwater taverns and bars.

“I see, friend,” the human said, nodding thoughtfully beneath his heavy cloak.

“What do you see?” he half-heartedly asked, his mind still consumed with thoughts that Scourge had thought him capable of leading them to the long lost crown of the Slave King.

“Your self-doubt,” he said, blowing another smoke ring.

“Listen here, you… you,” Silver Tongue stammered, feeling slightly flustered by how well the human seemed to know him. “You don’t know anything about me!”

The human considered his words for a moment, before taking another drag from his pipe. “Perhaps I don’t, friend,” he said, poking a glowing coal with a stick. “But do you know yourself?”

“What?” the pony said, not sure how to answer his question.

“I see a harper, who knows more of the lore of the forgotten ages than anyone else alive,” he said, pushing back his wide brimmed hat. “Someone who longs for a time long since passed, where adventure and heroism were more than the idle entertainment for disbelievers and drunkards. Where they were ideals you not only recounted in story, but lived as well.”

“But that was so long ago,” Silver Tongue said, looking away from the human in shame. “There are no more adventures, no more heroes in the modern age, only the empire.”

“Silver Tongue, that’s what Ouroboros and his flunkies in the cultural ministry would have you believe,” the wayfarer said, looking into his golden eyes. “But I know better, you know better. Lying within you is the strength to seize your destiny, you simply have to have to courage to take the first few steps out your door. Or don’t. The choice before you, is yours and yours alone.”

“How do you know all this?” Silver Tongue demanded, confused by how this stranger knew so much about him. As far as he knew, they’d never met before. But somehow, the wayfarer knew all his hopes and fears, and even his name. “Who are you?”

When he heard the question, the wayfarer gave him a bemused smile. “To some, they are tasked with keeping a promise to their friend,” he said, blowing smoke out of his nostrils. “And though he didn’t consider me his friend, I considered him mine. Silver Tongue, my name is Elrey, and I’ve watched over you all your life.”

“You know Lady Bleu, don’t you,” Silver Tongue said, remembering the lovely unicorn from the bar.

“Yes, I do, friend,” Elrey replied, giving him a warm smile. “Though she’ll always be Little Bleu to me.”

Suddenly the pieces began falling into place, Elrey, Scourge, Little Bleu, was this wayfarer possibly the Slave King in disguise? “Are you him?” he asked in reverence, awed that he was in the Lord of Earth’s presence. “Are you the Slave King?”

Elrey chuckled, and shook his head softly. “No, Silver Tongue, I’m not. As you can see, I still possess both my arms,” he said, with a hint of regret in his voice as he showed him both his arms. “If I was, the resistance might have an easier time of things.”

“So you expect me to help Scourge?” he asked, afraid to hear Elrey’s answer.

“Yes, I would like you to, Silver Tongue,” he said, adding a bit more fuel to the fire. “But as I said earlier, the choice is yours to make. But choose wisely, regret can be a hard thing to live with.”

“Elrey, I’m still not sure if I should,” Silver Tongue said, hanging his head in shame for being so afraid.

“I understand, Silver Tongue,” Elrey sagely replied, giving the pony an understanding smile. “Like me, my friend learned of regret the hard way.”

“Elrey, what happened to your friend?” he asked, wondering who his friend was.

“He let his pride blind him, and his fear paralyze him,” Elrey said, stoking the fire so it illuminated his face. “And in the end, they both wandered, lost in the heart of winter.”

Author's Note:

My apologies, gentlereader, I know I marked the story as being complete, however I wanted to ensure everyone was aware that the sequel was now available.

If you didn't catch the link at the bottom of the story, here it is:

The Book of Water: The Heart of Winter

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 26 )

You scared me for a moment. I thought you decided to stop.

3564449 Not a chance gentlereader, I spent far too long to stop now. Hopefully you'll enjoy the next installment as much as this one.

2821621

If the Gods are truly so powerful, then what can puny humans, no matter how technological advanced, do against them? the moment on of two members of the pantheon decide the invaders had enough fun in their lands, is game over.

3564509 Thank you for your comments gentlereader, when humanity is finally introduced in the Book of Fire, the various gods of the Pantheon will each react differently. Some like Celestia will desire friendship, others like Ouroboros might lust after their technology to gain power over their fellows. Some like Triton might take a wait and see attitude, while still others will be wary of them. But unless the Pantheon votes to expel them from their world, humanity will be quite safe. The gods wouldn't dare do anything to them outside their own domains.

3564543

Thanks. One last question: are you planning to make humans villains, antagonist or a varying scale between good and bad guys depending of each character?

3564567 Well technically the Slave King was already the antagonist in the Book of Earth, so maybe yes. But humanity in the Book of Fire won't be the main focus of the story, rather its how the Pantheon reacts to them, that will be. But yes the individual humans will be their own persons, no faceless mooks, some sinners, others saints, each with their own flaws, desires, and goals.

3564582

I suppose that is pretty much the style of the serie.
One last (this time for real) question: without risking spoilers, can humans learn to harness magical abilities? I suppose that would be the fair trade in exchange of technology, specially if some gods like Uroboros are interested in the purchase and offer some gifts in return.

I stitched 5 more arms to myself so i could give you SO MUCH HIGH-FIVES.

3564717 Why thank you gentlereader, i look forward to seeing how much you enjoy reading the sequel.

See this in the feature box after so much..............have a fucking hearth atack and drop everything

awwwwwww yeeeaaaahhhhh:rainbowkiss:
and so another chapter beggins :twilightsmile:

3593457 Thank you for your comments gentlereader, I'm glad you've enjoyed the story so far. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on future chapters. By the way who is your favorite character so far?

I have no words.

i really love your stories

3967839 Thank you for your comments (or lack of comments) gentlereader, what about the story did you find that you've enjoyed?

3968235 Part of it is just that you didn't write a story that's all sunshine, rainbows and friendship. The drama and action is so well written, but the story doesn't revolve around it.

The way you write some of the characters is amazing to me, and with Lord Cerynitis' lapse into the state he is in, and with Second's betrayal, I really look forward to reading the next installment.
I saw the title and hold nothing but excitement to see what you've written out this time.
As to what about the story I've found that I enjoyed, I've found the Slave King stories to be some of those I'd be hard pressed to find something I didn't enjoy about them, to be honest.

3968307 I'm glad you found the first book enjoyable. When I thought about the sequel to The Great Slave King, I wanted to move away from action and concentrate more on intrigue and how the Slave King had matured as a deity and how that had affected the rest of Equestria. Also since I hadn't really dealt with the Slave King the person yet beyond his obsession with slaying the Last Gem biter, I spent more time being introspective with the characters. Hopefully the sequel and all the future installments of the series you'll derive equal pleasure from.

4046737 Thank you for your comments gentlereader, I suggest reading the next book to discover the answer.

So awesome =3. Now onto the next story ^^

4216567 Thank you for your comments gentlereader, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed my story. I look forward to reading your thoughts in my future works.

4216625 Yeah I have been kinda holding back, gushing how much I love these stories. I'll leave you a nice and lengthy comment in the third story :twilightsmile:

5014640 Thank you for your comments gentlereader, Lady Suzaku had hoped that offering the Slave King part of her heart to replace his would enable him to feel once again, and then he would be able to finally love her in return.

6486418 Thank you for reading, gentlereader, I was actually working on The Heart of Winter and saw your comment. The Slave King's problem in resurrecting Little Bleu lies in his inexperience. Unlike the other gods, with a few exceptions he's had to learn all the secrets behind his power and divinity all on his own. Without a heart, the Slave King finds feeling much of anything a difficult task. One of his great worries is that one day the thread that binds Little Bleu to him, may vanish, making any further attempts at resurrecting her impossible.

6992530 Thank you for your comments, gentlereader. Yes Jormungandr's name can be a bit of a pain to spell, thus the easier to pronounce and definitely write the Winding One. But you are correct, without external aid, the Slave King sometimes struggles against the other great schemers on the Pantheon, Celestia being one of the most devious and Triton to a lesser extent (at least in regards to waging war and stratagems). But one of the Slave King's strengths lies in his preference for methodical planning, although this does cost him time in the long run to execute his plans against his fellow deities.

I'm sorry but you lost me after 500 years and little Bleu. No matter how I look at him, he should have not been so affected by little Bleu as he was. Sure, losing your child sucks and all but after 500 years I can not see him caring this much. Hell, I start to forget about deaths by year two and I don't feel anything for them after ten years. After 500 years, I am sure I would forget their names, to add to that, I would not be the one that contributed to their final death*.

This story is okay at this point in time. An "ehh"+1 out of ten.

* The final death is when your name is spoken for the last time.

nice story I just finished to read it .I mean at the start I was intrigued of the human exploring the world of the underground that was my first impression then by going on I understand that the 10 years of slavery was just a introduction more than a summary of the story . never the less this story I enjoy it and now I'm playing to read the second book . interesting story .

10538174
Thanks for the clarification I appreciate it

Login or register to comment