• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 8,100 Views, 1,106 Comments

The Book of Water: The Marriage of the Slave King - TalonMach5



Book two of four, in the Great Slave King saga. An anthology of Equestria's history

  • ...
31
 1,106
 8,100

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18: Something Old, Something New, The Blushing Bride, and Her Reluctant Groom: Part IV: The Master, Gambler, Sleeper, Groom, and Thief

The Book of Water: The Marriage of the Slave King

A Story by TalonMach5

Chapter 18: Something Old, Something New, The Blushing Bride, and Her Reluctant Groom: Part IV: The Master, Gambler, Sleeper, Groom, and Thief

“Bow down before the master, you fool!” he hissed to his doppelganger companion.

Smirking in response, he snorted at his former employer’s trembling. Though his new boss’s visage was quite terrifying to behold, he’d never cowered before any of his previous employers, and didn’t intend to start now.

“Second, you can bow and scrape if you want,” he derisively said, looking down as the doomhound groveled. “But, Bazzt Zzzt, fears neither mortal nor deity alike.”

“Then it’s your grave,” Second snapped, angry that this fool had no regard for his own safety, and was endangering his as well.

For his part, Second’s terrifying master looked down at his two bickering puppets, and smiled. Though, had the changeling not been nearly so entertaining, he might have destroyed him for his impertinence. He felt his newest pawn, had something to offer him. Though Second so far, had proven himself useful in his limited capacity, the Slave King’s suspicious nature, prevented the doomhound from acting with impunity. The changeling’s innate abilities and anonymity, would make him a useful tool to achieving his ultimate goal.

He allowed them to continue their fight, as he relished the enmity they held for one another. Even with all the mistrust, animosity, and anger amongst the pantheon, and though half their number was at the other’s throats; Equestria possessed far too much harmony for his liking, leaving him weak and somewhat powerless to act. Even today’s recent strife, had only offered him a drop of the sustenance he required to escape his prison.

Looking down at the two mortals, he grew weary of their petty argument. He decided to see whether his newest pawn was worth keeping, or if he should devour him instead. “Silence, Second, or I shall discipline you,” he commanded, relishing the fear his threat generated from the trembling doomhound. “Bazzt Zzzt, tell me why I shouldn’t devour you for your lack of respect.”

Though all his instincts screamed at him to escape, the changeling looked up at his employer and offered him a smug grin. “Then maybe, the Slave King discovers just exactly what Second’s been up to,” he said, glad he’d prepared a fallback if things ever turned sketchy. “Maybe he’ll find out about your little operation. Maybe he’ll discover who’s been messing with him and the rest of the pantheon…”

“Maybe I’ll devour you,” their master said, angry that his pawn thought to blackmail him.

“Then you and your plan get discovered,” Bazzt Zzzt confidently replied, while hiding the terror he felt, behind his expressionless face. “Somehow I get the feeling that the Slave King is the sort of fellow who won’t forget about you, once he’s rooted out the vipers in his den.”

“I’ll overlook your temerity, this time,” he warned, pointing a claw at the changeling. “But should you forget yourself in the future, I shall carry you into the Pit, and teach you proper decorum.”

“I understand, Master,” Bazzt Zzzt said, with a slight bow, before stepping away from the summoning circle.

Pleased that his pawn knew his place, he laid out the terms of his puppet’s employment. “Bazzt Zzzt, serve me well, and you will be well rewarded,” he said, offering him a cruel smile. “But should you fail me, your torment will be unending.”

The changeling felt as if he had ice water in his veins. Shuddering once, he nodded in agreement, and accepted this Faustian bargain, he knew the price of failure, and fully intended to never allow that to happen to him. Thankful that he’d been spared a grisly fate, he stepped away from his new employer.

“Second,” their master rumbled, resting his burning eyes on the doomhound. He chuckled when he saw him with his muzzle kissing the ground. Seeing such fear, tasted divine, and whet his appetite for more. “You have done well. Ensuring Celestia’s plan for the Slave King was a success, has pleased me. But now, I have another task for you.”

“What is your command, Master?” Second asked, with fear and reverence.

“The Slave King possesses an artifact of great power,” he said, placing his malevolent claws together.

The Vendetta devours any who touches it, Master!” Second said, afraid of being asked to do the impossible.

The Vendetta’s power, pales in comparison,” his master said, annoyed with Second’s cowardice.

“What could possibly be more powerful than The Vendetta?” Second wondered, unable to fathom anything stronger than a weapon capable of slaying a god.

“The artifact is called the Elements of Harmony,” he said, conjuring up an image of six dark and beautifully cut gems.

“They seem unremarkable,” Second said, wondering what made them so powerful.

“In the beginning, the gods used them to make all creation,” he explained, waving away their image. “Realizing their great power, I fought with Celestia for their possession. In the ensuing battle, their power was sealed away, and they were seemingly destroyed, or at least we thought they’d been. Scourge, bring the elements to me, so I might ensure their destruction. You’ll find them inside the Slave King’s treasury.”

“Why not use them, to destroy Celestia and the others?” Second asked, wondering why they should steal such power, only to destroy it.

“Fool!” the master roared, annoyed with Second’s stupidity. “Should any other gain possession of the elements, I might never escape my prison.”

Second was about to inquire further, but a dark look from his master, silenced him. “As you wish, Master,” he said, bowing low to the ground.

“Now, my servants, go and perform my will,” he said, as his image faded away.

Neither of them said a word to the other. Only the lingering echo of his terrible voice, saying perform my will, could be heard.

“Well good luck with that, Second,” Bazzt Zzzt said, preparing to leave.

“And where do you think you’re going, grub?” he demanded, fully recovered from his encounter with their master.

“I no longer work for you, Second,” the changeling said with a smirk. “And after all, the boss did give the task to you to complete.”

“You will assist me, Bazzt Zzzt, in retrieving the Elements of Harmony,” he commanded, giving the changeling an evil look.

“Maybe the boss will give me your position once you’ve failed him,” he said with a dark chuckle.

“You, insect!” he roared, swiping his paw angrily at him, and furious that the bug thought to coerce him. “I’ll kill you for this!”

“Do it, Second, and the boss will kill you once his plot has been exposed,” he threatened, making sure the doomhound knew he wasn’t bluffing over his threat to expose him.

Knowing that Bazzt Zzzt had him, Second growled in frustration. “So what will it take, to gain your cooperation?” he asked, regretting that he hadn’t killed the bothersome changeling when he still had the chance, regardless of the oath he’d sworn.

The changeling laughed at Second’s consternation. He knew exactly what he wanted. “One favor, of my choosing,” he said, holding out his paw.

“Fine,” Second curtly replied, already plotting Bazzt Zzzt’s demise. Once he’d retrieved the Elements of Harmony, he’d ensure that his master’s newest servant came down with a sudden case of death, via a knife in the carapace.

“So where should I go, to retrieve these Elements of Harmony?” he asked, pleased with how he managed to play his former employer.

“The Slave King’s treasury, according to our master,” Second said. “But be warned, after Scourge’s theft, security has probably been increased.”

Offering him a grin, Bazzt Zzzt made his way to leave. “I don’t expect any trouble retrieving the master’s baubles,” he said, disappearing into the shadows.

“You’d better not, grub, if you know what’s good for you,” Second growled. “You’d better not.”

*****

She sighed with longing. Here she was all dolled up, but with no one to flirt with. As far as she was concerned, this wedding was a bust. When she first saw the dress Harmony had somehow convinced the pony seamstress Ringing Bells to make for her, she thought she’d have to beat her suitors off with a stick, as she danced the night away with some handsome feather. However, as far as suitable dates went, she’d found the pickings slim.

A majority of the pantheon felt none too kindly towards the Domain of Earth, a feeling which most of their entourages held in common with their various lords and ladies. While many of the gods like Lord Triton, had an entourage consisting of entirely mares. The few males she’d approached had rebuffed her advances, due to her mixed heritage and known service to the Slave King.

It was nearly enough to make her want to cry at the injustice of it all. Here she was in the prime of her life, and nofeather would look twice at her. Well not everyfeather that is, but the feminine attentions she’d attracted weren’t exactly what she was after. And she wasn’t nearly drunk enough to take up the offers she’d received seriously, maybe in a few more jugs of wine she’d reconsider. But until then, she’d have to take solace in her lute and half-filled goblet.

Playing a cheerful tune, she looked at the dispersing guests enjoying the remnants of the wedding feast. Thinking of Dawson, she remembered the victory feast they shared together, and smiled at the pleasant memory. She wondered how he was, if they’d managed to see the freed slaves across the borders without issue, and most importantly, if he missed her at all.

She looked over at Lord Triton’s table, and saw Dame Squall drinking by herself in silence. It seemed to her, she was either avoiding her fellow chevaleresse, or they were avoiding her. Draining her cup, she wiped her beak with her sleeve, slung her lute across her shoulder, and decided to pay the seapony a little visit. Walking across the room towards her, she picked up a large half empty jug of wine, and plopped it down with a large thunk, in front of her new found drinking companion.

Dame Squall offered her a puzzled expression, and raised her brow quizzically, when she saw the size of the wine jug. “You know that’s wine, not water, don’t you?” she said, taking a sip from her cup.

“I know, isn’t it great?” Melody replied, filling her cup to the brim, while looking at the wine thirstily.

Remembering her drunken escapades the night before, Dame Squall quickly covered her cup with her fin, when she moved to fill her cup as well. “I’ve decided to practice temperance this evening,” she explained, when Melody looked at her, as if she’d lost her mind for refusing more spirits in her cup.

“Oh lighten up, Dame Squall!” she teased, as she heavily imbibed the wine. “If you’re not the one getting married, weddings are only good for two things, either finding yourself a little romance, or getting happily drunk on somefeather else’s booze.”

“Oh, I’ve had quite enough excessive drinking to last me for a while,” Dame Squall said, remembering how she’d almost taken advantage of him.

Looking into her cup, Melody inhaled the sweet smelling wine, as she looked forward to enjoying its intoxicating bouquet, as it made her forget her worries. Removing her lute from her shoulder, she softly played a tune as she lamented her singlehood status. Deciding she needed to end her friend’s sobriety, she decided to relay Dawson’s message. “He said he was sorry,” she said, as she played a few chords.

Frowning slightly, she looked at Melody. “Who said they were sorry?” she asked, wondering who it could be. “And what were they sorry for?”

“Oh a certain griffin-half,” she idly said, taking a quick drink between chords. “He said he was sorry, for not giving you a proper farewell before leaving.”

When she heard her mention him, her heart started racing. He was thinking of her as well? The thought of him pining for her, brought a smile to her lips. But then she realized how far the Golden Eyrie was from the coast, and felt a bit hollow inside. Drinking heavily from her cup, she held it out for her to fill. Pleased she finally had someone to drink with, Melody put down her lute, and filled both their goblets to the brim.

“Was he well?” Dame Squall asked, hoping for some news to sate her curiosity.

Melody looked sideways at her, and smiled. Seeing Dame Squall longing for her brother, sent a small thrill down her spine. It was so romantic! Star crossed lovers, separated by circumstance and distance. Would they ever be reunited, only fate could decide?

“Yes he was, but it was a good thing I caught up to him when I did,” she said, starting a new song.

“Why, what happened?” she asked with concern. “Did they encounter one of those desert dwelling monsters, I’ve heard rumors of?”

“No, much worse,” Melody darkly said, remembering the smuggler.

“Then what?” Dame Squall asked, wondering what could be possibly more dangerous than a monster.

“Dawson confronted a pony slaver transporting his property to market, and tried freeing his slaves,” she said, wishing that such things weren’t so commonplace.

When she heard her, Dame Squall’s breast filled with pride. Dawson had seen wrongdoing and tried stopping it. Her cheeks flushed, as she imagined how he must looked standing up to the slaver. “So was he victorious?” she excitedly asked. “Did he make the fiend regret his sins, before dispensing Lord Triton’s justice on the scoundrel?”

“No, I stopped him before he could do anything,” she replied, waiting to gauge the chevaleresse’s reaction.

“Why did you do that?” she demanded, unable to comprehend allowing anypony to get away with such wickedness.

“Because it was the right thing to do,” Melody said. “The pony was within his rights to transport the slaves in his possession to be sold.”

“How can you defend such practices?” she asked, wondering why she would ever condone such evil.

“Don’t knights of the Lawgiver, believe in upholding the law?” she countered, wishing to defend the honor of the Domain of Earth.

“Well…” Dame Squall said, not sure how to answer. Of course upholding the law was important, but so was being right and true.

Seeing her inability to answer the question, made Melody smile. Though she held no love for slavery, she disliked how often the other domains looked down on the Earth for the practice, as if they were somehow superior. Though she liked Dame Squall, she wouldn’t let her get away with the slight.

“So where’s your answer, Dame Squall?” she teased, playing the familiar refrain of ‘Ole Triton, Faces Doom’, a jaunty tune the ‘Order of Shadow’ used to mock the ‘The Most Illustrious Order of Triton the Lawgiver’ when they faced each other on the field of battle.

“I don’t have an answer, but it’s still wrong,” she said, unhappy she couldn’t defend her position. Spying the Slave King’s cupbearer and her diamond dog companion, she had an idea. “How about we ask Gunhilde what she thinks?”

“Hmm,” Melody mused, considering her proposal. While she’d just been enslaved, she’d also been placed in a position of great power and influence. Many would consider such a tradeoff more than fair, and even have been willing to sell their souls for such an opportunity. “Alright, I agree.”

“What are the stakes?” Dame Squall said, feeling her pride as a chevaleresse burn within her. Though it would only be a symbolic victory over the Earth, a victory was still a victory. And after what had happened at Bone’s Landing, her order would take the victory, no matter how small.

“If you win, you can have my boon token,” she said, removing a golden coin from her purse, which bore the Slave King’s likeness, and placing it down on the table. “It’s good for any one favor from the Slave King.”

Dame Squall’s eyes went wide, when she saw what Melody had bet. With a coin like that, she could have any favor granted she wanted, and the Slave King would have no choice but to grant it. She imagined the look on her liege lord’s muzzle, once she’d secured enough arcanum weapons and armor to outfit his knights twice over. The one great advantage the Earth had over the Water would finally be wiped away! She could even demand the Slave King return Bone’s Landing to her people. But somehow, she thought the Lawgiver would prefer regaining the city militarily.

“What do you get if I lose?” she asked, worried she had nothing as valuable to wager.

“A date with Sir Hurricane, the Gallant,” she said, grabbing Dame Squall’s token of the Lawgiver, and placing it beside the boon. “We’ll just consider this the deposit.”

“But how do you expect me to arrange that?” she said, unsure how she could convince him to agree to be seen with somepony like Melody. The handsome knight, was highly sought after by every mare in Marelantis and beyond. The resulting scandal of the order’s favored son, courting a mudslinger and a feathered folk beside, would be explosive to say the least.

Now that the stakes were so high, she began feeling nervous. If she lost her token, she’d be unable to return home, until she’d completed a great quest, and restored her honor. But on the other fin, a chance to outfit the entire order with arcanum was too tempting to pass up.

Seeing Dame Squall considering the wager, Melody smiled. Soon her date with the dashing Sir Hurricane would be hers. And then the next time a seapony looked down on her, she’d just smile, knowing that a mudslinger had bedded one of their greatest heroes.

“Well if you want to concede, I’ll understand,” Melody said, offering her a sly grin.

Looking at the boon, and then her token, she nodded her consent. This opportunity was too tempting to pass up. “All right, if Gunhilde sides with you, I’ll get you a date with Sir Hurricane,” she said, sure the reindeer would side with her.

“Now you’re talking,” Melody said, standing up and rubbing her hands together in anticipation.

Seeing the determined look in Melody’s ruby eyes, she wondered what exactly she’d just gotten herself into.

*****

“Do you think he’ll mind, if I quietly slip in and sample their love tonight?” she asked, raising her eyebrows suggestively as she smirked at her companion.

“It’s safe to say, Chrysalis, that the Slave King will more than mind the interruption,” she said, shaking her head in disbelief at what she’s heard from her charge.

“Oh come on, Gunhilde. They won’t even miss it,” she whined, lusting after all that delicious love that would otherwise go to waste. “I’ll make sure I’m discrete.”

Gunhilde’s eyes flashed green, as her brand filled with power, making Chrysalis wince in pain. “That’s the last I expect to hear about it,” she sternly told her.

“I’m sorry, Gunhilde, I…” she said, before taking a few steps cautiously towards an unused passage, as her ears tilted and nostrils flared. She could sense another changeling somewhere nearby! Though she didn’t know who it was, she was certain it would be up to no good. “There’s a changeling in the palace.”

“Yeah, I know,” Gunhilde said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “I’m looking right at her.”

Chrysalis laid her ears back, and narrowed her eyes in annoyance when she was dismissed. “No, I mean another changeling,” she said, nervously walking in the direction she’s felt its presence coming from.

“Chrysalis,” Gunhilde said, unhappy they were leaving the safety of the dining hall behind them. “The wedding feast is still going on. The Slave King asked us to tend to anydeer who needed assistance.”

“Then all the more reason why we should be after them,” she said, trying to remind her of their duty to the Slave King. “A changeling inside the palace can only mean trouble.”

Looking down the unused corridor, Gunhilde felt a chill run down her spine. Many places in the palace still felt uncomfortable to her. At first she thought it was because of how creepy everything looked in the poor lighting, but later found out it was due to the angry dead that inundated the old city. She’d been told anytime she felt uneasy, the culprit was most likely a nearby wandering spirit. According to what she’d been told, most of the spirits were harmless, but it wasn’t unheard of for some of more dangerous specters to manage bypassing the wards on occasion.

“I’m not sure I want to go that way,” she said, shivering involuntarily. “Not when there’s a ghast still on the loose.”

“It’s been over a day, since anyone’s last saw it,” Chrysalis said, continuing down the dark corridor. “If it was still around, it would’ve already tried feeding again.”

Gunhilde shivered once more, she could feel the dread of the darkness creeping up on her, and felt her instincts crying out to escape this place. Chrysalis looked back at her keeper and smirked. Though she felt the same creeping fear, she knew the potency of the Slave King’s power. She decided that if anything should fear, it should be the creeping unseen spirits that were jealously stalking them.

Looking at the murals and friezes that adorned the walls, she wondered what mystery this place offered. Though she’d been here less than a week, the hidden passages and secrets she’d discovered, put her own people’s penchant for enigma to shame. There was a veritable maze of unused tunnels behind the walls, one just had to know where to look.

“Chrysalis, are you sure there’s a changeling this way?” Gunhilde asked, looking at where the corridor abruptly ended. “There’s nothing here but a dead end.”

Saying nothing, Chrysalis placed her nose near the damaged frieze adorning the wall, and inhaled. Placing her paws against the wall, she pressed as hard as she was able. “Ugh, there must be some sort of secret entrance here,” she grunted with exertion. “I can sense their pheromones coming from the other side.”

“How can you be sure there’s an entrance here,” Gunhilde said, tapping the wall experimentally with her hoof. “You’ve seen all the hidden passages we’ve been told about. The entrance they used, could be anywhere.”

“It’s actually right above you,” somedeer said from behind them.

Nearly startled out of her skin, Gunhilde turned to face their stalker. Tapping into the power the Slave King had granted her, she prepared to give whoever it was that was stalking them, a really lousy day.

“Show yourself!” she barked, pawing her hoof nervously.

“There’s no reason to be so hostile, Gunhilde,” Chrysalis said, placing a paw on her shoulder. “It’s just Melody, the Yellow, and one of Lord Triton’s seaponies.”

“We come in peace,” Melody said with a smirk, as she approached them with her hands held up. “Aren’t you two supposed to be looking after the Slave King’s guests?”

“Aren’t you supposed to be busy playing your lute, harper?” Chrysalis replied, to Gunhilde’s horror.

“Touché,” she said with a grin.

“Chrysalis!” Gunhilde shouted, giving her the evil eye. “She’s one of the Slave King’s most powerful servants.”

“No, you’re thinking of my sisters, Aria and Harmony,” she said, walking towards the cracked mural. Running her fingers along the gems that made the frieze, she pressed several of the gems, which resulted in a subdued clicking sound coming from behind the wall, as part of the wall slide open. “Aha, that should do it.”

“See, Gunhilde, I told you there was a hidden door here,” Chrysalis smugly said, poking her head inside.

Dame Squall floated over towards the open door. “Why in Equestria, would you want to go inside?” she asked, looking uneasily at the dark passageway.

“Chrysalis thinks there’s a changeling in the palace,” Gunhilde said, giving her companion a sideways glance.

“There is one, I know it,” she said, stepping into the darkness.

“Then what are we waiting for?” Melody said, following after her.

Dame Squall entered after her, leaving Gunhilde alone in the passageway. Worriedly, she pawed at the ground. She didn’t know which was worse, the dread she felt from the passageway, or the feeling of being watched from behind here in the empty corridor.

“You coming?” Chrysalis said, poking her head out of the shadows.

“Gah!” Gunhilde shouted, feeling her heart race from the unexpected sight. “Don’t do that! You nearly gave me a heart attack.”

“Come on,” she said, giving her an impatient look. “We need to hurry, if we’re going to capture that changeling before they get away.”

Gunhilde huffed, as she followed after her changeling charge. “How do I keep getting into these situations?” she moaned, as the passageway closed behind her.

*****

He awoke in a warm and comfortable place, a far cry from the cold dry cave he’d been blindly wandering through, for god knows how long. Though it was dark in the room, low level illumination provided enough light, for him to make out the general shape of things. It was odd, he felt totally relaxed and well rested, but still felt completely sapped of his strength. Though he ached all over, it was a refreshing feeling, not at all like the constant pain he’d felt for ages. Taking a deep breath, he was surprised when his coughing fit didn’t follow. For years he’d had trouble breathing normally, and now that he could breathe easily, he found it a novel experience.

Examining himself, he discovered someone had taken the liberty of wrapping linen bandages around most of his body. He was confused, who’d gone to the trouble of helping him like this, and more importantly why? Kindness like this, was a luxury he’d very rarely experienced. He could only guess what his host would demand in repayment. If he was lucky, they’d consider him a rarity and place him in a menagerie somewhere. And if he was unlucky… He didn’t like dwelling on what they might possibly be planning to do with him. Even if he was going to be imprisoned once more, at least he’d been able to enjoy at least one good night’s sleep.

Laying in the darkness and enjoying the luxury of his soft bed, he felt something itch in the back of his mind. He wasn’t quite sure, but he was certain there was something or someone he’d forgotten. Though it scurried through the dense fog of his memories, he couldn’t quite remember what he was supposed to remember. After a time, he decided it could wait until later. He was warm and relatively safe, and that’s all that mattered for now. Here there were no biting whips to flinch away from, no chains to bind him, or the angry shouts of the master to fear. For the first time in nearly a decade, he was finally safe.

But he spoke to soon, sounds from outside the room, caught his attention. As someone opened the door, every muscle in his body tensed in fear. Cursing his weakness, he looked desperately for a weapon, or anything he could use to defend himself. But beyond the silken sheets covering him, and the soft pillow resting beneath his head, he only had his wits available to protect himself. Hoping to deceive his host, he closed his eyes, breathing steadily, as he pretended to sleep.

Through his closed lids, he sensed the room’s illumination grow slightly. He heard someone approach his bed, and fought every instinct he possessed to remain still. The heady scent of an exotic floral perfume filled his nostrils, as they moved closer. Whoever they were, he could sense them standing beside the bed, looking at him. He felt the soft touch of feathers against him, as they removed the silk sheet covering him. He felt a hand or wing brush against his forehead, before moving towards his dressings. He heard a feminine alto hum a gentle tune, as they proceeded to check each of his dressings. It took all his willpower to remain still, as they moved towards his waist. After what seemed an eternity, he felt them pull the silk sheets back over him, and sat beside him on the bed.

“Are you finally awake?” he heard her ask. When he didn’t respond, she brushed her feathers against his face once more. “Don’t worry, my love, you’re safe now.”

Wait, did she just call him, my love? Opening his eyes, he looked to discover his nurse’s identity. What he saw astonished him, a great red and orange bird like creature was looking down at him with large red eyes. Even though she was obviously not of his race, he found her beautiful to behold. Though he’d seen many strange creatures including dragons in this strange land, this was the first of her kind he’d ever encountered. Examining her, he noted because of her wings, she possessed a sort of angelic beauty. Suddenly it all made sense, the soft warm bed, the lack of his chronic pain, and being able to breathe freely once more. He’d died while trying to escape, and this was what passed for heaven in this strange land. No wonder he was having trouble remembering things.

The warmth her eyes conveyed to him, and the gentle smile on her beak, brought a smile to his lips. “Are you an angel?” he asked, curious why he’d need bandages in the afterlife. “Have I died, and is this heaven?”

When she heard his question, he saw a sadness reflected in her eyes, and immediately felt terrible for upsetting her. “No, I’m a phoenix. My name is Suzaku,” she said, with her melodic voice. “I’m not sure where this heaven of yours is, but you’re in my home, the Summer Palace, inside the Domain of Fire.”

He was unfamiliar with the geography of this world. All he knew of the Domain of Fire was that’s where the dragons lived, and from what he’d seen of them, he wanted as little to do with them as possible. But since this wasn’t heaven, that meant he wasn’t dead yet, which was a relief for him. He still had things he wanted to do, like walking on green grass, enjoying the shade beneath a heavy laden fruit tree, and swimming in the ocean until exhaustion had overcome him.

“So why did you help me?” he asked, sure he would be put to work as soon as he was able.

He saw what appeared to be the same pained look he’d seen earlier, almost as if she wanted to cry. Concerned he’d somehow offended her, he struggled to sit up. “I’m sorry, for asking,” he said, looking into her ruby eyes. “But I’ve never known anyone willing to offer me aid, without an ulterior motive.”

Placing her wing on his forehead, she smiled at him affectionately. “I know, my love,” she said, gently pushing him back down on his pillow. “I plan on changing that.”

There it was again, she’d called him, my love. A fact he found troubling, not that he minded that she was a phoenix. He’d been with several different races already, mainly because he’d been considered an exotic oddity. He was worried, because it denoted a familiarity which he’d no recollection of. And as beautiful as Suzaku was, he’d have remembered spending a night with her. Perhaps they were mated, and that’s what he’d forgotten earlier.

“I seem to be at a disadvantage,” he said, wondering how she knew him. “You seem to know me, but I can’t for the life of me, remember you.”

She smiled once more, and released a musical laugh. “Surely you remember the fountain where we found you?” she asked.

The fountain? The last thing he could remember before waking up here, was the cold dry cavern he’d been stumbling through, and how thirsty he’d been… Wait, he remembered it now. The cool damp breeze hitting his face, the smooth granite beneath his feet, the strange glowing iridescent water. It had been so dark when he found the fountain, and then he’d drank its waters deeply, before diving inside it.

“There was a fountain, I was so thirsty,” he murmured, looking up at the mirror above him. As his eyes studied his reflection, more forgotten memories came rushing back. “It was so dark inside, and then there was light. I saw them, staring down at me. I was so afraid.”

“Shh…” she whispered into his ear. “You’re safe with me, love. Do you remember the others?”

“I… I think so,” he said, trying to rack his mind. “It’s so confusing, it’s still only a blur.”

“Take your time, there’s no rush,” she said, encouraging him to continue.

“I remember, a dragon, two unicorns with wings, a pony made of water, and a hound,” he said, as the fog over his mind slowly lifted.

“What else do you remember?” she asked, looking at him with her ruby eyes.

“They spoke. Said something I can’t recall,” he replied, trying his best to remember. “There was an argument. They were angry with me for being inside the fountain. They wanted me to get out, but I was afraid of them. The hound attacked me, I’m not sure what happened next, it’s all a blur.”

“Don’t worry, it’ll come back to you in time,” she said, placing her wing on his chest.

Looking down at her vivid red feathers resting on his chest, he remembered the blood. Oh there was so much blood. “I think I killed the hound,” he said, remembering the coppery flavor of its blood in his mouth. “I remember a griffin weeping over the body, she was angry with me for killing him. The blue unicorn demanded retribution, the white one disagreed. She placed her horn to me, and I was changed somehow. How exactly, I’m not sure.”

“You’re almost there, love,” she told him, pleased that he was remembering so much on his own.

He was sure something important happened next, but he didn’t know quite what. What had the white unicorn done to him? He felt his heart pounding in his chest, as he tried desperately remembering what had happened to him. Like a metronome, his heartbeat throbbed in his chest. Why did it seem so odd and unusual, when he felt it beating away? Looking back at the mirror, he saw part of his chest was uncovered. What he saw seemed wrong somehow. He didn’t know why, but he expected to see something that wasn’t there. As if something important to him, was missing, but he couldn’t understand what. It’s not as if he was missing any scars…

Then he finally remembered what had happened. He’d removed his own heart, to save himself from being petrified by the white unicorn. “I cut out my heart,” he said, unable to remember anything after that. But how could he still feel his heartbeat? He distinctly remembered ripping it out from his chest. Then it struck him, all his missing memories. He could finally remember what had happened. There was a cave in, trapping both Little Bleu and Snowe before they could escape. They were still trapped! He had to get help for them, before they were discovered by Lasher and the others.

“Please, Suzaku,” he said, reaching towards her. “My friends, I left them trapped in the mine. Please help me save them.”

He saw her eyes fill with tears, as he begged her to aid his friends, and couldn’t understand why. There was still time. They had two weeks rations with them, they could still be rescued before it was too late.

“I’m sorry, love,” she said, unable to look at him as the guilt of her actions was eating her alive.

“Why are you sorry?” he asked, confused why she refused to look at him.

“Because that happened over five hundred years ago,” she said, wiping her eyes with a silken handkerchief.

“Five hundred years…” he said in disbelief, unable to comprehend how so much time could’ve passed. “I don’t understand, I just saw them less than four days ago.

“I did something to you, love,” she said, feeling the guilt nearly overwhelm her. “Something I shouldn’t have.”

“Suzaku,” he told her, touching her wing with his hand. “I’ve woken up in a bed for the first time in nearly ten years, I can breathe now without coughing up blood, and you’ve tended to my wounds. I have nothing but gratitude for you. Since coming to this cursed land, I’ve known nothing but misery and suffering. The kindness you’ve shown me here, I won’t soon forget it.”

When she heard his gratitude, her heart leapt for joy. The feather she loved, had thanked her. Perhaps there was hope for her yet. “Love, you don’t know how long I’ve waited for you to say that,” she said, holding his hand with her wing.

He looked at her, unsure why she kept calling him, her love. Though he vaguely remembered her at the fountain with the others, she’d not said one word to him. “Why do you keep calling me, your love, Suzaku?” he asked, curious how she knew him so well.

“Well, that’s a long story,” she said, offering him a smile, and squeezing his hand with her wing.

“It appears I have plenty of time,” he said with a grin.

Grateful for the opportunity to serve her love once more, she decided to tell him everything, “Well, it all began about two years after you removed your heart…”

*****

He sighed as one without purpose or direction. Had he been able to, he’d have offered his liege his resignation. But being bound to his master’s soul, made finding alternate employment somewhat impossible. Additionally, he couldn’t retire to his eternal rest, that avenue had been forever barred to him, when he agreed to return to his king’s side. No, his friend’s side.

His friend, two words which he wished he could say with pride. In saving his king, he’d failed his friend. Which he felt was somewhat a cruel irony. For had he come to his friend’s aid, he’d have ensured his king’s demise. However he had no regrets, and even though it had cost him his friend, he’d still performed his duty to his king. Had there been another path he could have taken, he would have gladly done so, even should the path have taken him to the Pit itself.

It was times like these he envied the ponies. They made resolving everything, seem an easy task. All that was required was a heartfelt apology, a few hugs, and maybe even a silly song or two, and their friendships were stronger than ever. But here in the South, where treachery ran rampant, once lost, trust could rarely be regained. Trust was at the crux of the issue. His master would trust him to serve him, but never be his friend again.

“Master Scourge,” he heard her say.

“Yes, little pup?” he said, looking at his disciple.

“What will you do now?” she asked, concerned for his future.

“I will continue serving the Slave King, Aria,” he said, looking into her golden eyes. “For as long as he wants me to.”

“But what if he decides to send you away?” she asked in concern. “What will you do?”

“I don’t rightfully know,” he admitted, unsure what he’d actually do should that ever come to pass.

“Then let me accompany you, Master,” she said, kneeling at his side.

When he heard her request, he narrowed his eyes. “No, little pup,” he said, unhappy with her desire. “The Slave King needs somehound here to protect him.”

“Then let him find somefeather else!” she shouted, releasing the bottled up resentment she held for their king. “I have no further desire to serve him, not if it means taking your place, Master Scourge.”

“Don’t say that, Aria, he’s your fath...” he said, trying to convince her otherwise. “He needs you here. Without us here to protect him, he’ll be vulnerable to his enemies’ machinations.”

“Then maybe he should suffer a little, for casting you aside,” she said, hardening her heart against the Slave King. “How can you still willingly serve him, when the only reward you have for preserving his life, is his scorn?”

“Though he rejects me, he’s still my friend, little pup,” he said. Sighing at her anger, he gave her a stern look of disapproval. “But more importantly, Aria, he’s our king. We serve at his pleasure.”

“I’m sorry, Master Scourge,” she said, withering from his disapproving gaze. “But it angers me, seeing you treated so unjustly. What of the next time? Should we fall on our swords in his defense, only to have him trample upon our backs as we lay dying? It’s unfair…”

“I know it is, little pup,” he said, agreeing with her assessment. “But it’s the way of things. Once the Slave King destroyed all of the Diamond Vale in his anger, but now he shows temperance and even mercy on occasion to his enemies.”

“Where’s the mercy shown to you?” she asked, remembering how angry the Slave King had been during the trial. “If Celestia hadn’t intervened on your behalf, you would’ve been found guilty.”

“But I wasn’t,” he said, offering her a smile. “The Slave King of centuries past, wouldn’t have even have bothered with the pretense of a trial. But he let Celestia, the one who had held so much of his concern and worry this past fortnight, defend me.”

“You make it sound like he’s become a sentimental feather,” she said, not sure what to think of their king.

“All I know, little pup, was before your birth he was a hard hound,” he said, remembering the many centuries he’d served their liege. “But now his judgments are tempered, perhaps his marriage will soften him further.”

“That will be the day,” she replied, not believing for a moment that the Slave King would ever show her anything more than passive indifference.

“Little pup, we shall speak of this later,” he said, when his connection to the Slave King activated, showing him the Slave King limping away from his room. “Assemble the others, I’ll see to the Slave King.”

“Yes, Master Scourge,” she said with a slight bow.

Standing up, he sprinted out the room and towards the Slave King. He hurried as quickly as he could to help him. He’d failed his friend once before, but he was determined to never let that happen again.

*****

He felt weak and lethargic. He’d not felt like this in ages, and wasn’t sure what to think about it. He always assumed that frailty, was something he no longer needed to worry about. But whatever she’d done to him, had excised that naivety. He could feel her searching for him, and felt his breath quicken with fear. Though he wasn’t given to cowardice, he felt discretion would be the best option for now.

All around him were shadows, each offering him their silken darkness to hide within, and each useless for his protection. Normally the dark was a staunch ally, firm and unwavering in its loyal service to him. But now its mistress sought him out to finish the job she’d started, and it would willingly betray him to her at a moment’s notice. He had to get to his element, if he wanted to survive the day… no the hour. His only advantage, was the palace’s winding corridors and passageways were a veritable maze, and sometimes even made him get disoriented.

The gems making up the cracked murals decorating the wall, dully reflected the dim light illuminating his path. He saw one of the large communication gems embedded in the wall, and thought about calling for help. But immediately put that thought behind him, if he couldn’t defend himself in his own home, he had no right to be called Lord of Earth. Besides his servants were all fickle in their loyalty and would refuse to heed his call, leaving him to his fate at her hands. But even if they should come to his aid, what hope could they possible stand against someone as powerful as she?

Coughing hard, he covered his mouth with his hand. Looking down, he saw the familiar sight of his blackened blood coating it. Reaching for the wall for support, he touched the gem to help steady himself. Though his bloody handprint would be a dead giveaway to which direction he’d gone, escaping the palace was his main concern. Hopefully she was still lost, as she searched for him. Limping along the wall, he nearly stumbled and fell to the ground. Cursing his clumsiness, he’d wished he’d bothered grabbing one of the bottles of draught he always kept in his room. Though he wasn’t sure how potent its healing would be against her dark curse, it would at least give him strength enough to reach his element.

Breathing heavily, he labored to move forward. He’d never felt this weak before, not in all the centuries he’d been running his domain. Even when he’d completely spent all his magical reserves, he still possessed strength enough to stand. But here he was, weaker than a child and struggling to walk. He had to hand it to Celestia, never would he have expected her to use her own sister as the means to his destruction. She’d been so adamant in him marrying Luna, and now he knew the reason why.

Pausing to catch his breath, he panted heavily as he looked at a nearby mural. It depicted Lord Darkpaw standing victoriously over his defeated enemies. Though he only ever knew his predecessor by reputation, he always had held great respect for his accomplishments. When the pony sisters finally finished him off, he wondered would they wear his skin or display his skull. Somehow he doubted it, ponies were rather skittish regarding the display of such grisly trophies. Most likely the best he could hope for, was a meager grave, or an unimpressive statue commemorating his passing.

He could feel his assassin approaching, and knew he had to keep going. Moving his right foot forward, he willed himself to continue heading towards the old garden. He wondered what the others would say, if they could see him now. He imagined Lord Ouroboros’s mocking laughter at his predicament, Lord Cerynitis’s vicious grin for her assault on him, Lord Raiden’s smug sense of superiority over his being bested by a mere female, and Lord Triton’s pitying look for succumbing to such an obvious trap. He’d reached the stairs now. When he looked at them, he groaned when he saw how many steps there were. His wound made such a simple task, seem arduous and monumental.

Limping down each step, and trying his best to avoid stumbling, he lamented that he’d passed over the others, in favor of his assassin. There was the lusty Lady Minoa, who promised him a wedding night he’d never forget. If the scene she made during his wedding was any indication, he was pretty sure Discord was enjoying a good time. The beautiful Lady Suzaku, whose love for him was undeniable. She’d offered him half her own heart, but he’d found himself unable to accept it. The fierce but tender Lady Zephyr, who loved him enough to let him go. He wondered if she’d mourn his passing like Darkpaw’s, or find comfort with his successor. Looking behind him, he was amazed that he’d successfully managed climbing down all the stairs without falling.

Though his next task wasn’t nearly as strenuous, it was infinitely more dangerous. He needed to exit the palace undiscovered or unseen by any of the others. In his weakened and vulnerable state, he had no way of defending himself. Should even the weakest member of the pantheon wish to harm him, he’d have no recourse. Carefully reaching out with his magic, he plotted his escape away from the prying and curious eyes of the others. He longed to rest but couldn’t, every delay brought her perilously closer to him.

He was nearly there now. He knew of a shorter path to the gardens, but it took him precipitously close to Celestia’s quarters, exactly where he wanted to avoid going. He was certain his assassin would return to her sister to report her failure, since she’d failed in slaying him yet. It was tempting. All the other paths to the gardens, would take much him longer to navigate, and he ran the risk of being discovered by the others. Deciding the risk was worth it, he made his way towards Celestia’s quarters. He could hear them celebrating now. Whether it was for his wedding or his funeral, he couldn’t tell.

Hobbling forward as silently as possible, he limped past her door and wished he had the strength to cast her and the rest of those vipers out of his domain. Though he’d declared a moratorium on raiding pony controlled settlements to acquire new slaves centuries prior, he was sorely tempted to rescind that policy. Celestia loved her ponies dearly, and their suffering would hurt her as greatly as she’d hurt him. Putting his thoughts of revenge aside, he decided there would time enough for planning his vengeance once he was safely in the heart of the Earth. There he’d be protected, safe from the further machinations of such cruel monsters.

They called him a monster and an uncivilized beast for his use of slavery, yet more often than not, it was the supposedly civilized races that sold their brethren in his slave markets. He’d codified the laws, tamped down the excesses, and was even now working on weaning his domain away from the need for such practices. He’d seen the supposed civility and kindness of the others domains, many thought themselves superior to the other races because they had magic or impressive pedigrees. Here all were treated equal, you did your ten and received your freedom. It might be a harsh system, but a freed slave had the respect of all, and none could compel them, not even himself.

Seeing the entrance to the garden, he sighed with relief. He’d managed to sneak past her room without being discovered. Now all he needed to do was walk the short distance down the hallway, and he’d be in the garden and finally safe. He wondered what had prompted her to follow Celestia’s plan. From what he could tell, she seemed somewhat disaffected from always standing in her sister’s shadow. He wondered had she promised her his domain if she managed to slay him. As his widow, she was probably entitled to run things for several centuries at least.

She’d seemed so happy when she’d won, he’d never had guessed it was all a deception. The way she glowed as she walked down the aisle to stand beside him at the altar, and how she’d smiled when he’d said, I do, must have been an act. All the affectionate touches and teasing during their reception, the constellation she’d gifted him with, her vow to never betray him, were all ruses to get him to let down his guard. Her honeyed words, lust filled looks, and passionate kisses, were nothing but lies and fabrication to get him to willingly open himself to her, so she could mortally wound him when she deeply thrust her knife.

But they’d made a fatal mistake. He’d been living with one foot in the grave for so long, that death was an intimate acquaintance of his. Their failure to properly kill him, would be their undoing. He’d not make the same mistake they had. When he struck back, it would be fatal. When he avenged himself, he’d not waste time with convoluted schemes and hollow boasting. Instead, he’d strike them down with a fury. The Diamond Vale fell in less than a day, Londwhinium would be no different. And when Celestia came to confront him for the deed, he’d cast her into the Pit to join Tiroc.

He could smell the garden now, he was nearly home free. He simply needed to step foot on it, and the Earth would welcome him with open arms. Stepping out of the palace, he thought of her when he felt the moonlight hit him. Though she might be beautiful like the moon she raised, her black and treacherous heart was far colder than its silvery light. He saw the garden’s sandy soil and smiled. He was finally safe now. He only had to take a few more steps, and he’d be forever safe from their treachery.

But then he heard something, which drove away any hope of salvation. “Slave King, what brings you out at this late hour?” he heard her ask, as she stepped out from behind a hedge. The sound of her hooves echoed through the moonlit garden, as she stood between him and his freedom. “I’d have thought Luna, would’ve kept you busy for most of the night.”

Narrowing his eyes at her in anger for her deception, and provocative display of feigned innocence, he glared at her. “Celestia, I’ll only say this once. Move out of my way,” his gravelly voice threatened.

Locking eyes, neither spoke, as they waited for the other to speak.

*****

The path that Chrysalis had led them, had taken them deep underground, and into what appeared to be an abandoned aqueduct.

“Are you sure this is the right way?” Gunhilde whispered, afraid that whatever horrors lurked in the darkness beyond the magical flames Melody had conjured up, might investigate the sounds of her voice.

“Quite sure,” Chrysalis said, peering into the shadows with her large green eyes. Though she didn’t know why, there was something eerily familiar about this particular changeling. “Everyhound follow me. They’ve gone this way.”

Dame Squall took the rear as the others followed after Chrysalis. Her purple eyes searching for any signs of ambush, and most importantly for more of those undead horrors. “Do you think it’s safe down here?” she asked, feeling a bit concerned that all they had was their magic to defend themselves with.

“Yes,” Melody replied, turning to look at her friend. “This aqueduct’s been abandoned and sealed for ages. There’s no chance anything from the city could get inside here.”

“How can you be so sure?” she asked, not quite sure she believed it was as safe as her companion insisted it was. “That ghast managed to find its way inside the palace, despite your sister’s wards.”

“The only access inside here, is a few passages from the palace, and the main one in the Slave King’s vault,” she said, sending a few dancing flames circling overhead. “The only access to the city is walled off and warded, nothing’s getting inside.”

“I don’t care how safe you think it is,” Gunhilde said, allowing magic to build up in her antlers. “I won’t feel safe until we’ve found this changeling, and are back in the palace.”

“This is probably the safest place in the palace,” Melody said, making her conjured flames twirl about as she moved her fingers. “After all, this is Nightmare’s favorite place to brood.”

“Oh, I feel so much safer,” Chrysalis deadpanned, hoping she’d never have to face that malevolent creature again, not if she could help it.

Up ahead, they saw the golden light emanating from the treasury, which chased away the darkness as it illuminated their path. Bringing a claw to her muzzle, Chrysalis motioned for the others to be quiet as they crept forward. Her tail wagged with excitement, she could tell they were getting close now. But still the familiarity she felt about this particular changeling, kept eating away at her. She felt fear, anxiety, anger, and excitement all at once. She wondered, what possible reason a changeling might want to enter the Slave King’s massive treasury. Sure some of her fellow changelings collected wealth, but they were in the minority. And there were infinitely easier places to steal from than the treasury, the palace walls were covered in gems for queen’s sake!

Stepping out of the tunnel and into the massive cavern which served as the vault, was a breathtaking experience. Not only did the mountains of gold bits and sparkling gems nearly blind her, but the ceiling was dizzyingly high and illuminated by thousands of magical gems. Raising her paw, she motioned for the others to join her.

“Okay,” Chrysalis whispered, pointing towards the center of the treasury. “The changeling went that way.”

“Oh, that’s where all the good stuff is,” Melody said, extinguishing her magical fire. “There’s no telling what they might be after. Hopefully The Vendetta, which will save us the trouble of escorting them to a cell.”

“So what’s the plan?” Gunhilde asked, warily eying the mountains of treasure for signs of the changeling.

“I say we split up into two groups,” Dame Squall suggested, remembering her last encounter with a changeling. “Attack them from two directions simultaneously. Hopefully we can get the drop on them, before they transform into something unmanageable.”

“I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that,” Chrysalis whispered, trying to learn all she could from the pheromones they’d left behind. “Very few can do more than simple transformations.”

“But what if we get one of the more powerful ones?” Dame Squall replied, not wishing relive her failure at Bone’s Landing.

“Then I suggest you try to render them unconscious,” Chrysalis explained. “Changelings revert to their natural state when knocked out.”

“She seems rather well versed with changeling lore,” Dame Squall whispered to Melody, feeling suspicious of their guide’s knowledge.

“The Slave King’s servants usually all have useful skills and knowledge,” Melody replied, crouching behind a large pile of coins.

“How about, Gunhilde and I go around the left, while Melody and the seapony go right?” Chrysalis suggested.

“It’s Dame Squall,” she whispered, annoyed with her. “No, Melody and Gunhilde can both fly, they should approach from above. We can head towards the center.”

Chrysalis narrowed her eyes, she didn’t trust nor like the seapony in the least. “What do you think, Gunhilde?” she asked, hoping her keeper would accept her plan over the newcomer’s.

“I agree with Dame Squall,” she said, taking flight. “Come, Melody, let’s try using those columns for sneaking around to the far side.”

Melody nodded in agreement, opened her wings, and joined the reindeer in the air. With a salute of her fingers to Dame Squall, she silently flew off towards one of the larger pillars supporting the ceiling.

Finding herself with the seapony chevaleresse, Chrysalis motioned with her head, for her to follow her towards the center of the vault. Though changelings didn’t often prey upon seaponies in general, the knights of the Lawgiver were notorious for hunting them down whenever they could. They considered it nearly a rite of passage for young knights who’d just received their spurs, to slay one in single combat. Though Chrysalis had never been hunted by their number, she’d heard the stories from her fellow hivemates, and as a result, held little love for the seapony race. She wondered that if she knew what she really was, would she so willingly fight alongside her.

They were close now, their pheromones showed they’d passed here not more than five minutes earlier. Motioning with her paw to Dame Squall, she pointed towards a column and then themselves. Her companion nodded in agreement and headed towards it. Satisfied she was in place, Chrysalis crept towards a large treasure pile. She saw Dame Squall looking at her questioningly. Motioning with her paw to move towards the other side, she made her way forward when she saw the seapony move behind the pillar. Moving carefully with her back to the massive pile of wealth, she poked her head out, and gasped when she saw who it was.

It was none other than Second! The cruel and merciless diamond dog who’d beaten her, before turning her over to his unicorn flunky for further torture. She felt cold fear in the pit of her stomach as she thought about facing him again, but then she detected his pheromones. Taking a closer look at him, she saw some of the details were out of place. In fact, it looked like a mirror image of Second, rather than the real thing. She breathed a sigh of relief, either this changeling was stupid, or over confident in their abilities. A handicap which she’d readily accept.

Looking up, she saw the others were in place, and glancing towards the column, she saw Dame Squall waiting for her signal. Nodding to her, she stepped forward, and prepared to stop this changeling thief.

*****

He’d listened to his host with rapt attention. The story seemed almost too fantastic to be true, but he’d learned over the years to keep an open mind. After all, had someone told him he’d be stuck in a mine, the property of diamond dogs for nearly a decade, before coming here, he would’ve called them nuts. Though the story might’ve had place among some grand adventure tale told around a campfire, he found himself feeling hollow and empty.

Though he’d had no love for his former masters, when he learned what happened to the city. He looked at her with glassy eyed horror, though his cruel masters were all dead, so many undeserving of such a fate had also perished with them. He thought of the many slaves he once knew, crushed to death beneath tons of stone, and held his head in his hands as he shook. He thought of some of the diamond dogs he’d once worked with, though it was frowned upon, many had shown him small kindnesses over the years. None of them deserved suffering such a fate. He thought of the children, innocent of their parent’s crimes, and felt overwhelmed with emotion.

When he learned it had been nearly five hundred years since he’d last seen his friend and adopted daughter, he mourned that he’d never had the chance to tell either of them goodbye. He thought of his promise to her, for them to swim together in the sea beneath the sun and moon, and vowed he’d make good on it once he was well enough to move. He wondered if they’d had a good life after escaping the mines. Though he’d asked her what finally became of them, she shook her head, being unsure of their ultimate fate.

Fate, the idea of it, seemed alien to him. But from what he’d been told, he’d been fated to be far greater than an escaped slave. He’d become some sort of powerful demigod. Though he didn’t believe in his former master’s claims of divine protection by Lord Darkpaw, he did believe the pantheon were extraordinarily magically powerful beings. And judging by Suzaku’s story, if it was true, he’d been created from the aether with nothing more than a few odds and ends bubbling away in a cauldron.

When he’d inquired about what kind of Lord of Earth he was, he was pleased when he heard he’d transformed the desert nation into a trade powerhouse. If he was going to feel vicariously guilty for the destruction of the Diamond Vale, by god he’d take pride in the accomplishments as well. When she told him how he’d apparently made it all happen, he felt ill. Slavery. The thought of it, made him rub his hateful brands with anger. Oh sure, she tried telling him about the so called reforms, but the fact there was still slavery going on and that he was enabling it, made him burn with shame.

He didn’t consider himself a good man, but he knew right from wrong. Though Snowe had been a good friend to him, he’d often regretted the events that led up to his capture. Had he not been so weak and afraid, they might’ve never been enslaved in the first place. His only consolation was that’s where he’d met Little Bleu, and if he had to suffer as a result, he felt it was worthy trade. His Little Bleu, she’d been the one constant in his life, which managed to keep him going in the face of adversity.

As the only human (or wayfarer, as Suzaku claimed he was) in existence, the chance to have children of his own was forever beyond him. He’d always wondered, if he had found the right woman to settle down with, would he have made a good parent? But thanks to the tiny frightened filly he met in the slave pens all those years ago, he’d had the opportunity to be a father. A wayfarer, a griffin, and a pony, an odd family if there ever was one. But they were his, and he’d been contented with his lot.

But when she told him about his children, he felt something between joy and fury. Though he loved Little Bleu with all his heart, he’d never had the chance to raise her from foalhood. He would have loved the chance to hold her in his arms and rock her to sleep, singing her lullabies, teaching her to walk and speak, and seeing her grow into adulthood. Apparently fate had decided to compensate him for snatching him from his world, and stealing away any chance of him ever having children of his own.

When he saw the portrait of Aria, Melody, and Harmony all standing together and smiling, he felt his heart ache that he’d not been able to be a proper father for them. He could see pieces of him in each of them, Aria’s proud posture, Melody’s entrancing smile, and Harmony’s wise eyes. Knowing that he’d never have the chance to raise them, pained him in a way he never knew he could suffer. When she sensed his hurt, she laid beside him and gently cradled him in her wings.

They’d been sitting together like this, for what seemed to be hours. Looking at her, he wondered why she’d bothered going through all the trouble of bringing him to life. “Suzaku,” he said, wondering what exactly she wanted with him. “From what you’ve told me, I’ve done terrible things, and hurt you greatly. Why did you give me life?”

She laid her head against his and smiled. “Because I love you,” she said, as if that was all the reason she needed.

“But I’m not the man you love,” he protested, worried she expected him to love her in return. Though he was forever grateful for what she’d done for him. He was unwilling to fake affection for her. “The one you love, is someone else entirely.”

“I know, love,” she said, basking in his warmth. “But you came from the same place, you might not share his memories, but you share the same heart.”

“I think you might be disappointed,” he said, pointing out there was no guarantee he’d ever return her feelings. “Love is fickle and fleeting.”

She looked at him and smiled. “So thoughtful and considerate,” she said, brushing a wing through his hair. “But love is also generous and kind. All I ask is that you give me a chance, and let me love you.”

“I don’t think I have the strength for sex,” he said, wondering how copulation with a phoenix would even work.

When she heard his concerns, she released a musical laugh. “Aha, ha, ha, ha, my love,” she chuckled, as a rosy blush flushed her cheeks. “Though it would be my pleasure to share your bed, I only meant for you to allow me to show you my love.”

Relieved she wasn’t expecting him to be her lover just yet, he laid back against the pillows. He touched the scar along her breast, and looked up at her questioningly. “You must have loved me a lot, to willingly give up half your heart,” he said, wondering how badly it must have hurt.

“I do,” she wistfully said, holding his hand against the scar which rested above her beating heart. “But you’re just as worthy, as he.”

“But what if I never return your feelings, Suzaku?” he asked, worried she’d suffer heartbreak a second time at his hand.

“That you give me the chance I never had before, is all I ask,” she said, resting her head against his shoulder. “But there will be time enough for that later. Rest and regain your strength, my love.”

He nodded and yawned, as he felt sleep overtake him. He certainly had a lot to think about. Less than a week previous, all he had to worry about was finding enough gems to fill his quota. But now, he learned that he’d been essentially asleep for five hundred years, the only family he’d ever really known and loved had undoubtedly perished in his absence, and apparently he’d been responsible for all manner of atrocities.

He watched Suzaku turn down the lights, exit the room, and close the door behind her. He didn’t quite know what to think about her. He owed his existence to her, yet she clung to the hope that he would return her feelings. He was certainly grateful to the kindness she’d shown him, and as far as her being from another race, her feathered plumage didn’t bother him. He’d already had the chance to experience sex with many of the various equestrian tribes, during the month he’d been forced to perform in a local brothel.

His master, thought his unique and exotic slave would have turned him a tidy sum. But reality showed beyond a few thrill seekers, most preferred sex with members of their own race. But judging by their three daughters, she obviously had no problem in that regard. Feathered folk he thought she’d called them, he couldn’t quite believe he’d somehow managed to father children with someone outside his race. Apparently, there were even dragon, diamond dog, and griffin half-breeds as well. He guessed being a member of the pantheon had its privileges.

Slowly closing his eyes, he yawned once more. Though he still had many questions, they’d have to wait until tomorrow. For now, he would dream of the child he’d lost, and children he’d gained.

Author's Note:

Thank you gentlereader for reading chapter 18 of The Book of Water: The Marriage of the Slave King, as always comments are appreciated. I had originally planned for this to be the final chapter, however the chapter size began to grow beyond 10k and needed to be split up. So expect another round of daily updates, until the end.

Second;s master has finally made his move, and seems to want the Elements of Harmony of all things. I wonder why he fears their power? Bazzt Zzzt seems to be moving up in the world, while Second looks on. I wonder what he thinks about this. And I wonder whether Gunhilde will side with Dame Squall or Melody regarding their little wager. And when they confront Bazzt Zzzt, I wonder who will emerge victorious. Celestia and the Slave King seem to have little to say to each other, perhaps their actions will be louder then words. And I wonder what the Slave King's heart made flesh will do, when he learns finally learns the truth.

Find out the answers to these questions and more, in the next exciting chapter of The Book of Water: Marriage of the Slave King, coming to computer near you!

Once again gentlereader, thank you for reading and all your kind words and support. You make writing worthwhile. Until next time!

PreviousChapters Next